0 Post(s)

Burzum

Any minimalist Black Metal fans here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love it! Varg's stuff is mad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, he can be a bit much. A bit too much if you ask me, but he makes amazing music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    His pre-prison albums (Filosofem and before) are the shit! His post-prison albums (Belus and after) are cool too. His in-prison ambient albums (Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskjalf) not so much. (I kinda liked H but didn't really care much for DB)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Me gusta. Also, I thought he was ridiculously charismatic in the Before The Light Takes Us documentary, which you should all see if you haven't already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love that documentary. About 2 years ago my roomate stumbled upon a torrent containing about 30+ black metal documentaries. We watched one every night for a month. It was spectacular.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    I love that documentary. About 2 years ago my roomate stumbled upon a torrent containing about 30+ black metal documentaries. We watched one every night for a month. It was spectacular.
    Got any other recommendations? I've only seen that and parts of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Got any other recommendations? I've only seen that and parts of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
    Check out "Satan rir media" (Satan rides the media), it's on Youtube.

Also, Filosofem rules.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    +1 for Filosofem. Didn't like his post-prison albums. They each have some okay tracks but real forgettable for the most part. I guess there's another new one coming out this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, it will be released in May. I don't have high hopes though :)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Varg nicked by french intelligence! http://www.euronews.com/2013/07/16/n...ed-in-france-/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh, that rapscallion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Anders Behring Breivik would be great if he was a pagan and killed more Muslims? ... What?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's Varg. Just sit back and enjoy the crazy.

I genuinely don't think he was planning anything. More like the French government took the nonsense he's been spouting for the last 15 years seriously and did something about it when it's just Varg being Varg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stateira View Post
    So Anders Behring Breivik would be great if he was a pagan and killed more Muslims? ... What?
    He (Varg) said in a statement after the attacks that "true nationalists don't kill children of their own nation", not that it changes the fact the rest of what he said was a load full of far-right bullshit as per usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've read Lords of Chaos from cover to cover several times (a pretty good read though its author is quite a piece of work himself) so I have some familiarity with Vikernes' special brand of batshit. But it's been awhile since I've read anything he's said, so it was a bit of a shock.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Varg is also an old skool anti semitic conspiracy theorist, he doesn't like Muslims but he reserves most of his bile for the Jewish elites he believes have pushed for musim immigration into europe, in order to weaken europe, cause tension etc etc

He issued a statement saying brievik might as well be a zionist cheerleader or something along those lines

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Oh shit a Burzum thread, and I thought we were going to talk about the music and not Vargs personal convictions.

Regardless, Det Som Engang Var has to be my all time favorite early black metal album. A Key to The Gate and En Ring til aa Herske are two of the coolist tracks ever to grace the recorded format (the original Key, not the re-recording version.) And you gotta admit the minimalist approach to the instrumentals is rather, haunted sounding, as well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Lol, but to be fair he does get himself into some interesting situations!

All the pre prison stuff is fantastic - dunkelheit, lost wisdom, key to the gate, all great tracks with a very unique feel. He's a terrible person but I am on board with his artistic vision 100% - in his own words he sets out to evoke the raw wildernesses and elements of europe with a sort of late evening, brooding feel. Totally succeeds IMO. Black metal for me is about evoking an environment and the power of the state of nature rather than satan or whatever.

wasn't so much into the synthesiser stuff. The post prison stuff doesn't have the same feel as the early stuff, but is still some of the best black metal going (not saying much though seeing as 99% of BM is bonehead tryhard jokers missing the point entirely)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah, that sums it up great, as far as Vargs artistic vision envoking the harshness and bleakness of parts of Europe.

As far as his post incariation stuff, its ok but it feels almost too polished (even though i know its not. he is a one, maybe two take guy when it comes to recording.) But i will say some of the riffs on Jeg Faller and Budstiken (think i spelled it right) are absolutly face-melting.

edit: For those of you not familiar with the early years of Norse Black Metal and this whole thing with Varg being crazy, you need to check out the film Until The Light Takes Us. Like @Sutekh said, alot of Burzums early music captures that european desolation thing we were talking about, and this film does a good job of exploring that more indepth. (as far as i last knew, it was available on netflix)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-16-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Oh shit a Burzum thread, and I thought we were going to talk about the music and not Vargs personal convictions.

Regardless, Det Som Engang Var has to be my all time favorite early black metal album. A Key to The Gate and En Ring til aa Herske are two of the coolist tracks ever to grace the recorded format (the original Key, not the re-recording version.) And you gotta admit the minimalist approach to the instrumentals is rather, haunted sounding, as well.
    Well, he did just get arrested, that's why this was bumped.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    hilarious video... and varg himself is getting arsey in the comment section! what more could you ask for