Page 72 of 123 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    .... and I just realized it : Yes in the 16MB oriiginal track 1 mp3 there is .... 12MB just for the cover, remove tag and your mp3 turns to 4MB
    .... The zip file ? it changed from 110MB to 58MB
    That's one reason I always retag any mp3s I otherwise retain; embedded cover art in tags is pretty silly, IMO, unless you've genuinely got custom art for each track. (And even then, I'd prefer external images for those.) Though usually at least the image put into the tags is a much lower-res version - rather amusing that they're using the full quality one in there.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Too bad the old ETS vanished into the ether and I'm so bad at keeping things I've written. I essentially did the same thing for all of The Slip​ and now I wish I had them to reference.
    Don't despair. The data still exists, and will probably be made available again in some form at some point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Result of my best attempt to piece it all together attempting to re-use as few words as possible:

Feels like I've been here before

Yes i have been here before

I guess I have a way of finding order in things. Allowing myself to feel a sense of comfort in the past. But not the actual events. The way I choose to remember them, in one way or another. And almost everything I thought mattered, what my definition of myself was, has proven false.

Please all of you go away from here

I encourage others to try de-scrambling it and see if we come up with different sentences or see a more logical excerpt than the one I've made out.
    Well, my word...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I encourage others to try de-scrambling it and see if we come up with different sentences or see a more logical excerpt than the one I've made out.
    Shit man, no need. I think we have a winner. Nice work!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    No physical packages yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    No physical packages yet?
    I haven't received my 'Physical Component' yet and I don't believe they have been shipped yet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Result of my best attempt to piece it all together attempting to re-use as few words as possible:

I guess I have a way of finding order in things. Allowing myself to feel a sense of comfort in the past. But not the actual events. The way I choose to remember them, in one way or another. And almost everything I thought mattered, what my definition of myself was, has proven false.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Strangely enough, the Rubin Museum in NYC is screening this tonight. I'll be happily pointing out "Driver Down" to company.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Strangely enough, the Rubin Museum in NYC is screening this tonight. I'll be happily pointing out "Driver Down" to company.
    I was so obsessed with Driver Down. Retrospectively it seems a bit silly, I still love that track but it doesn't really warrant obsession,​ but it really struck a chord back then.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I was so obsessed with Driver Down. Retrospectively it seems a bit silly, I still love that track but it doesn't really warrant obsession,​ but it really struck a chord back then.
    It's a great track on an amazing soundtrack. The film's use of "Rammstein" (the song) alone is awe-inspiring.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Me too. Not like it really matters but I still wish it was by "nine inch nails" as it has the classic nin sound. Those fucking guitars. Theres nothing like that guitar tone from broken to the fragile. Crushing, explosive and like a buzzsaw all at once. One of my favorite examples is on FDTS when the ruiner remix really gets going. The Prick album used it as well, ending of riverhead, no fair fights among others....Branches/bones' chorus reminds me of that old sound just more fuzzed out with no middle. Same attitude.

I do love the newer nin guitar sound as well. Those droney parts, not out of tune but really dissonant. Like 8 ghosts 1, beginning of THTF ruff mix, outro of survivalism, burning bright etc....

I could talk nin guitar tone all day. For not always being a "guitar" band, TR's guitar work and tone are extremely underated. It might not be complex but it's effective and has a signature "sound". So many guitarists and bands lack that. They all sound the same. But you can hear a riff and tell it's TR. By the notes chosen, the way they're played and the tone used. It's unmistakable. I love a lot of "guitar" bands and appreciate someone who can shred, but I'll take the solo of WITT or Ruiner over any of them. It just works. It makes you feel something.

Sorry for hijacking your post. Driver down rules.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-13-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    same. i used it in a powerpoint presentation in an 11th grade world history report in 1997 and it worked really well. got an a.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Thanks guys.

I actually had been wondering if Lost Highway was on Trent's mind, of how much it influenced him, if at all, when he explores concepts of different selves.

I used to be obsessed with Driver Down. To this day it's probably one of the tracks that would make me lose a significant amount of shit if it were ever played live. Did he ever say why it was credited to him and not under the NIN moniker? I wonder how he looks at it now...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

This could explain EP's meaning really well.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks guys.

I actually had been wondering if Lost Highway was on Trent's mind, of how much it influenced him, if at all, when he explores concepts of different selves.

I used to be obsessed with Driver Down. To this day it's probably one of the tracks that would make me lose a significant amount of shit if it were ever played live. Did he ever say why it was credited to him and not under the NIN moniker? I wonder how he looks at it now...

Driver Down and TPD are both epic..But one song from that era that always gets skipped over is Trents own remix of TPD which is basically an entirely different song altogether. Vintage mid 90s NIN style combined with heavy drum n bass...awesome fuckin song that got lost on that EP

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think the clue is in the collaborations. What if Not The Actual Events is really a collection of leftover ideas or material over the years that Trent and Atticus revisited and reimagined. Mariqueen - HTDA era, Dave Grohl - WT era, Dave Navarro - TDS/FDTS era. So it's a play off when movies say "This film is based on actual events." But instead of these songs being untouched leftovers that were written by Trent then (The Actual Events), they are the Trent of today reworking them with Atticus and reimagining where he was at that certain period (Not The Actual Events). Sonically, it is closer to Broken/TDS/TF/WT Trent than his later material. Plus there are lyrical nods to other eras as well.
    I just remembered: the multitracks for the Jane's Addiction tracks had some leftover Navarro guitar solos in there. I don't remember any one of them being on Burning Bright, but what if the guitar came from the 2009 JA sessions instead of the TDS era? I mean, Navarro was only featured on the Rick Rubin remix of Piggy back then, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    No. Dan Cleary (Navarro's guitar tech since the mid-2000s) tweeted in December that they worked on a NIN track. Not a Jane's track repurposed for NIN.

Also, I would be very very very surprised if they didn't just call those guys (especially Grohl, who will drop everything to play drums) and record them playing over new tracks, instead of playing Frankenstein sewing new songs around old ones.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Wasn't the physical component supposed to be shipped first week of January?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The delay of the Physical Component makes me think it might not be the same thing as the press kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What did the press kit look like?
    Any update on the 'new' release date?? Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    What did the press kit look like?
    Any update on the 'new' release date?? Thanks
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOYTWipBNq8/?taken-by=ptgrw

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I'm gonna pull a little @Sesquipedalism here and share with you a depressing mental image I constructed while listening to She's Gone Away. The clue I'm going to work with is, of course, the extra Apple Music references to Reptile. Yes, I'm going to go autobiographical, because, while TDS seems to be largely fictional, I doubt Reptile isn't at all inspired by, ahem, actual events. The image featured Trent and Mariqueen, but, of course, they could be portraying "characters" in the lyrics, so they could have any given name, really.

Anyway... I imagined She's Gone Away being a sequel to Reptile, this time in present day. Our protagonist, Trent, Not the Actual Trent, Fake Trent, whatever, dug into his past "until his fingers bled", but he wasn't sure why, until he remembered her again. Her. The reptile. He can't place why he scratched that old wound. I can't remember what she came here for, I can't remember much of anything anymore. The infection, the anger, the heartbreak, the blood from an old wound, is spreading inside him.

He is becoming paranoid, a little mouth inside his head talks to him and is driving him nuts. He keeps messing with those old, dark memories, until his skin turns black. He will always have only the memories; he will never get the feeling of being with her (or in love with her) back. He breaks down, cries. He still suffers from depression and breakdowns, even though he's got a great life with a wife and kids. So, the chorus is the logical, happier side of Trent and, at the same time, Mariqueen by his side, reassuringly telling the broken, deranged Trent to stop. She's gone away. There's nothing you can do about it. It's time to stop digging into the past, come back to reality, the present. He needs to take care of his kids, who are crying. Maybe he woke them up when he was having a breakdown in the middle of the night.

I guess I was tired of hearing the song as being creepy or disturbing, and instead conjured up a depressing and moving image.

Wow, this is fun, actually. Digging into the deeper meaning of the lyrics, I mean. I'm thinking of pulling another Sesqui and doing this for the entire EP.
    Last edited by wizfan; 01-14-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'm gonna pull a little @Sesquipedalism here and share with you a depressing mental image I constructed while listening to She's Gone Away". The clue I'm going to work with is, of course, the extra Apple Music references to Reptile. Yes, I'm going to go autobiographical, because, while TDS seems to be largely fictional, I doubt Reptile isn't at all inspired by, ahem, actual events. The image featured Trent and Mariqueen, but, of course, they could be portraying "characters" in the lyrics, so they could have any given name, really.

Anyway... I imagined She's Gone Away being a sequel to Reptile, this time in present day. Our protagonist, Trent, Not the Actual Trent, Fake Trent, whatever, dug into his past "until his fingers bled", but he wasn't sure why, until he remembered her again. Her. The reptile. He can't place why he scratched that old wound. I can't remember what she came here for, I can't remember much of anything anymore. The infection, the anger, the heartbreak, the blood from an old wound, is spreading inside him.

He is becoming paranoid, a little mouth inside his head talks to him and is driving him nuts. He keeps messing with those old, dark memories, until his skin turns black. He will always have only the memories; he will never get the feeling of being with her (or in love with her) back. He breaks down, cries. He still suffers from depression and breakdowns, even though he's got a great life with a wife and kids. So, the chorus is the logical, happier side of Trent and, at the same time, Mariqueen by his side, reassuringly telling the broken, deranged Trent to stop. She's gone away. There's nothing you can do about it. It's time to stop digging into the past, come back to reality, the present. He needs to take care of his kids, who are crying. Maybe he woke them up when he was having a breakdown in the middle of the night.

I guess I was tired of hearing the song as being creepy or disturbing, and instead conjured up a depressing and moving image.

Wow, this is fun, actually. Digging into the deeper meaning of the lyrics, I mean. I'm thinking of pulling another Sesqui and doing this for the entire EP.
    Really liked this interpretation, you should do more.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    This...is the most compelling insight I've seen into the EP yet. And it makes the 10,000 words I've written—yes, literally—feel even more superfluous than they already did. I'm experiencing an incredible confluence of contradictory emotions right now thanks to your distillation. And really wishing I'd pursued it further myself.

Fucking phenomenal work.

Fuck.
    Thanks, but don't kick yourself. While I am 95% certain I've nailed it, there's always the outside chance I could have swapped words in one place or another that could change the phrase to some degree, and inflict lord knows what meaning. That's why I think more folks should take a crack at it, to be certain.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Will you follow up with a full-length Nine Inch Nails record this year?

REZNOR: We’re working on new stuff now, so we’re planning to release more stuff as soon as it’s ready, and I don’t think that’s this year.

Me:
    Well that's kinda stinks.

Was hoping NTAE was leading to something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did he ever say why it was credited to him and not under the NIN moniker? I wonder how he looks at it now...
    Found an article detailing this http://theninhotline.net/archives/ar...cle.php?id=658
    The 'Lost Highway' soundtrack song 'Driver Down' is credited to Trent Reznor. Given that the man always writes NIN songs, why make that distinction? "It was a transition, because members of my band had left," he replies, before taking a deep breath and broadening the subject.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm interested in exploring the serial killer concept/theory of the EP. I think with the way the EP is, it's about a normal guy who loses his mind because of the way the world and his personal life are heading, and resorts to killing to keep going.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I was having a look around at the page source information on the official site, and discovered another cover variant for NTAE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Question, folks! Is it worthwhile contacting customer service regarding a corrected FLAC download? I have the original version, untagged, no art, and so on. Any advice?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Here's a comparison: http://imgur.com/a/5NSzl
    Not that this is ARG worthy, but with the above mentioned discovery of another alternate artwork design I thought I'd open up Photoshop to see if I could fiddle around with anything. No such luck since Microsoft Paint is more my speed.

That said, according to the Photoshop file info the December 20th version from my quoted link has the preserved filename "Untitled-wip13.psd" & the December 24th version has "NTAE_cover_v4_CLHsadsdasd_v2Group 3 copy 4.jpg" as the raw filename.

I pulled the White NTAE cover from the NIN.com discography page and that one has a preserved file name "NTAE_cover_dec15_alt_D.jpg" & a raw file name "NTAE_cover_v5_wip3.jpg"
    *edit* This same version is used on the PR site, but they have the file saved as "NTAE_cover_dec15_alt_B_press_release.jpg"

Worse case, I figure this might help the wiki folks in terms of identifying the artwork variants.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 01-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.