Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I do hope they do more of these videos going forward as it's always neat to see tour friends rocking the fuck out, plus it makes for a great souvenir of a show.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I do hope they do more of these videos going forward as it's always neat to see tour friends rocking the fuck out, plus it makes for a great souvenir of a show.
    Right, but sometimes Trent's fandom and respect of other artists doesn't translate well with NIN fans, e.g. his love of .

there were NIN fans on this board and at NIN.com who'd never heard of Bauhaus, so they were freaking out, "who the fuck is this guy?"

It was depressing.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-07-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I could see Trent perform with Saul infinitely more than anything with Al. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Schedule comes out tomorrow morning at 10AM per Riot Fest's Twitter.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Nice, I doubt the 3 acts im going for (Saul, Ministry and NIN) will overlap.

edit: fingers crossed for SUPERNAUT and YZ in full, but I doubt either will happen. I suspect the pic from the Survivalism video was used cuz its guys in RIOT GEAR and its RIOT FEST...
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 08-09-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Nice, I doubt the 3 acts im going for (Saul, Ministry and NIN) will overlap.

edit: fingers crossed for SUPERNAUT and YZ in full, but I doubt either will happen. I suspect the pic from the Survivalism video was used cuz its guys in RIOT GEAR and its RIOT FEST...

It would be fucking awesome if Al joined NIN to play Supernaut or if Saul joined them to play Sunday Bloody Sunday, WTF!, or Banged and Blown Through, but I'm not holding my breath for either. Regarding them using the Survivalism single artwork, I think you're right. I don't think they'll play Year Zero front to back and as cool as that could be, I don't think this is the right place for that. Plus, I'm really hoping to see Something I Can Never Have (never seen it live), Branches/Bones, Less Than, Burning Bright (Field on Fire), I Can't Give Everything Away (Farewell Mix), and The Lovers or She's Gone Away. I'm really hoping to see a lot of songs I've never seen. Although seeing My Violent Heart and Zero-Sum live would be AMAZING.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tobacco being on the Friday lineup is a good sign for a potential secret NIN show before or after the festival. Now Trent has his designated opener in town.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Fuck yeah, Ministry playing the main stage before NIN!!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    woof. i'm gonna be running around a LOT. really wish LIARS and saul williams weren't overlapping. also wish we hadn't gotten three day passes because the only band i care about on sunday is tv on the radio. :/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm somewhat put off by the scheduling because to see all the acts I'm interested on Friday I'd have to run stage to stage, deal with being in the backs of crowds due to set times running really close to each other or overlapping and would have to skip New Order if I want to get a good spot for NIN and would have to stand through Ministry (a band I have never given a single fuck about).

I'm figuring if I were to see Saul and then beeline to the main stage, skipping DFA and New Order, I could start getting close before Buzzcocks and end up near if not on the rail by the time Ministry is done, but then again this festival will likely be packed, so who knows, but that doesn't mean I'm not still considering going.

I also fucking hate that Wu-Tang overlaps with QOTSA since they are the only two bands I'm concerned about seeing that Saturday, but it does mean I'd not be missing out on anything if I wanted to get rail for QOTSA, so there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm somewhat put off by the scheduling because to see all the acts I'm interested on Friday I'd have to run stage to stage, deal with being in the backs of crowds due to set times running really close to each other or overlapping and would have to skip New Order if I want to get a good spot for NIN and would have to stand through Ministry (a band I have never given a single fuck about).

I'm figuring if I were to see Saul and then beeline to the main stage, skipping DFA and New Order, I could start getting close before Buzzcocks and end up near if not on the rail by the time Ministry is done, but then again this festival will likely be packed, so who knows, but that doesn't mean I'm not still considering going.

I also fucking hate that Wu-Tang overlaps with QOTSA since they are the only two bands I'm concerned about seeing that Saturday, but it does mean I'd not be missing out on anything if I wanted to get rail for QOTSA, so there's that.
    NIN and New Order will be on adjacent stages only separated by the security barricade to the sound booths. If you get a good spot on the NIN side you'll be fine to see (or at least hear) New Order.
    Last edited by Five_Hole; 08-10-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Hole View Post
    NIN and New Order will be on adjacent stages only separated by the security barricade to the sound booths. If you get a good spot on the NIN side you'll be fine to see (or at least hear) New Order.
    This is a very good point and I feel stupid for not realizing this (especially because it's the reason I had to suffer through an entire Offspring set while waiting for A Perfect Circle earlier in the year)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really wish I knew what the stage setup was like. If it is like it was in the last park, then New Order could be across from NIN, and I won't have to pick. But being in a new park, and not having gone the last couple years, I'm unsure about that.
    Last edited by mostlymad; 08-10-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to post quote. sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here is last years map. I'm guessing it will be very similar other than the Storyheart and Rebel stage becoming one stage and the Rock stage being renamed the Radicals stage.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    http://riotfest.org/2017/08/riot-fest-late-night/

looking less and less likely that NIN will be playing a secret show here (in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    http://riotfest.org/2017/08/riot-fest-late-night/

looking less and less likely that NIN will be playing a secret show here (in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)
    But, but... Tobacco with "special guests"?

edit: well I am extra slow today. Didn't read your bit about Smart Bar at the bottom, and I even quoted it. Oops.
    Last edited by magnolia; 08-15-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    (in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)
    400 capacity according to the Metro's website.

http://metrochicago.com/rental/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    400 capacity according to the Metro's website.

http://metrochicago.com/rental/
    Yeah, and it FEELS smaller than that, the official capacity is per the fire marshall and that's at the tip top limit.

that'd be fun if NIN played a , though. AT THE METRO. They mostly have dance parties with DJs in the Smart Bar and when it gets crowded HOLY SHIT.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-15-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm too excited!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Depending on how much tickets are, I think some of you guys should hedge your bets and buy tix to that Tobacco show. To me, that SCREAMS secret NIN show. Is losing $20/$30 worth it to you if you (we) are wrong? What if you (we) are RIGHT? Would be the coup of a lifetime. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Depending on how much tickets are, I think some of you guys should hedge your bets and buy tix to that Tobacco show. To me, that SCREAMS secret NIN show. Is losing $20/$30 worth it to you if you (we) are wrong? What if you (we) are RIGHT? Would be the coup of a lifetime. Just my opinion.
    At the very least an ETSer should hang around the place on Thursday and see if any NIN gear is being hauled in. Of course by that time it will probably be sold out just based on the extremely slight possibility. Can you imagine how amazing a secret nin show in a 400 person capacity bar would be? It cant get much more intimate than that!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Can you imagine how amazing a secret nin show in a 400 person capacity bar would be? It cant get much more intimate than that!
    . Capacity there is 900, but I don't know that we had capacity.

Smart Bar was an industrial and dance club back in the day. Ministry and NIN were there, see this.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Smart Bar was an industrial and dance club back in the day. Ministry and NIN were there, see this.
    The key club show was by far the most intimate nin show I've been to. It's crazy to picture what it would be like with a crowd half the size of that spiral only show.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'd like to see Tobacco so count me as one trying for a ticket. Maybe Ally will be the special guest!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0reta View Post
    I'd like to see Tobacco so count me as one trying for a ticket. Maybe Ally will be the special guest!

^ seems more likely than NIN for sure, but I've love to be wrong.
    EDIT: looks like it's High Tides, whoever they are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    ^ seems more likely than NIN for sure, but I've love to be wrong.
    EDIT: looks like it's High Tides, whoever they are.
    A quick Googling of High Tides music yielded:

High Tides’ self-titled debut to realign your chakra with good vibes, out soon on TOBACCO’s Rad Cult

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

was it close to capacity? the '09 Bowery Ballroom show was really small...only about 500 in there. One of the best days of my life.