Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mine just got shipped, huzzah. This and Cuphead makes for a good day off.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Meh, I didn't get one. But then again, I didn't try nearly as hard as I should. I had plans of waking up early to walk down to the Toys R us near my place, that *claimed* it was open at 10am online, but then I ended up accidentally staying up until 3am playing this:

I quickly through out all plans to wake up early at that point. But then my body magically woke up at 9:15am and I couldn't fall back asleep. Figured since I was up, I'd spend the quick 15 min walk over to Toys R Us just to see how long the line was and if it would be worth my time. To my surprise, there was no line... and the store was already open for business..... since 9am!!!!!! So, online lied.

Probably should have just pre-ordered it but..... whatever. Probably don't need it.

And as @october_midnight said, at least it's cuphead day. So that makes up for it. Been looking forward to playing that one for a while now.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Considering how well today went (sorta...), I'm a little more optimistic for the next run of NES classic.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Amazingly, I was able to walk into the nearest Target this morning 10 minutes after the store had opened and got in line and managed to snag one pretty easily. They had 53 and I was #39. I did try to go to a Wal-Mart last night at midnight, but apparently they only had 17 that weren't pre-ordered and people had been standing in line for over 4 hours to get one. These things are cool, but Jesus, there's no way I'd stand in line for 4 hours just for this. Also, there are unsurprisingly already SNES classics on eBay for over $200. I hope Nintendo keeps them well stocked this time and all of those assholes trying to make money by scalping them are stuck with units they can't sell for insanely marked up prices and lose money on the whole deal.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm guessing best buy had a shit ton. I got there about a half hour after they opened. Seemed like they had plenty. I'm still shocked it went as smoothly as it did. There were probably four guys in front of me. I was probably in and out in less than ten minutes.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Amazingly, I was able to walk into the nearest Target this morning 10 minutes after the store had opened and got in line and managed to snag one pretty easily. They had 53 and I was #39. I did try to go to a Wal-Mart last night at midnight, but apparently they only had 17 that weren't pre-ordered and people had been standing in line for over 4 hours to get one. These things are cool, but Jesus, there's no way I'd stand in line for 4 hours just for this. Also, there are unsurprisingly already SNES classics on eBay for over $200. I hope Nintendo keeps them well stocked this time and all of those assholes trying to make money by scalping them are stuck with units they can't sell for insanely marked up prices and lose money on the whole deal.
    Yeah, here in Canada craigslist is already flooded with people trying to get between $300-350 for this thing... all these assholes ads are like "I can provide proof with the reciept" fuck you... if you're gonna show me the reciept that shows you only paid $100 for it, and you're trying to charge $300 for it? That's highway robbery. Why does Nintendo let these thieves get away with this? I hate how people that didn't even want it went to buy it just to flip. I wanted one of these fuckin things and I'm still sour about it. I know it's my fault for not waking up at 7 or 8 am to go queue up in a line, but c'mon... it's 2017, we shouldn't need to fucking queue up in a line to buy an item. The item should be well stocked enough that anyone can go buy one at any given time of the day, not just the first 30 mins of the day. Urgh...

EDIT: few hours have passed since I wrote that, and I need to vent... I don't have social media, so this is the only place I can write, i'm so angry right now. I called a 24 hrs shoppers drug mart (for those living in the states, think of like a Walgreens type of store) yesterday to see if they were going to have any copies for a midnight launch. Their computer said they had 3, but they never arrived and they anticipate them to arrive sometime on the 29th, the call was made on the 28th at 5pm ish.

So, I wrote that option off... after work today, I was on my way home and I decided to call them, I was almost home and it was 9:45pm. I'm not sure what dawned on me to call, but I did... anyway, the lady said they got the 3 in and we're selling them at midnight. (why midnight on the 30th you ask? They printed their flyer out and the date was the 30th) anyway... long story short, when I called, she said they had 3 and there was only 1 person waiting and I better get there ASAP if I want one...

I got there as fast as I could, and there was another couple in the line now. I hoped that they were only buying 1 but... nope, they were each buying one!!!!! Fuck this fuckin shit! I'm so angry. I wasted so much time on this. I hate nintendo so much. But you know what I hate more? Al these fucks that bought multiple copies. So many youtube comments on SNES classic videos saying that they bought multiple ones. One to play and one to keep sealed. Fuck these fuckers!!!! Sorry, i'm really pissed off right now.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 09-30-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I hate how people that didn't even want it went to buy it just to flip. I wanted one of these fuckin things and I'm still sour about it. I know it's my fault for not waking up at 7 or 8 am to go queue up in a line...
    413 Used & New on Amazon Marketplace at last check.

I had extra expectations with it being my birthday, but of course that didn't work out. I did the line thing, except it was 6:30, not 7 or 8. Fucking ridiculous; I've yet to see even a NES Classic in-person here.

Also, less than 100 units in a city with over 150,000 people and more than 300,000 in a 15 mile radius is stupid.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    My brother managed to score two of them, one for himself and one as a present for our nephews.

I do not understand Nintendo's motivation behind the way they're releasing these classic consoles. This is a basic supply/demand thing. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were working in tandem with scalpers.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Seems like they at least put a little more effort into the supply this time around though. Better than the nes classic at least.

On a side note, starfox hasn't aged well at all. It's awful now. Starfox 2 is pretty bad too. I can see why they scrapped it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Yesterday was a great day!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^Wow, I haven't played that in ages but I remember that Saving Private Ryan parody level towards the end being hard as fuck.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    my preorder arrived yesterday and I gave the SNES mini a spin for an hour or so then had to stop and lie down. I'd forgotten the hideous motion sickness FZero used to give me.. somethings just don't change.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Sooooo... Update to my SNES classic situation...

I finally have one! Woo-Hooooo! And I didn't even have to pay a stupid amount of money off a scalper either.
    I ended up posting a craigslist ad with some of my boxed NES and SNES games I have that I'm going to be selling asking if anyone wanted to trade.
    Got a few reply's actually, guy wanted my boxed copy of Knights of the round. So We did a trade. I think it was a fair trade. I'll get way more use out of this than the game anyway. I was planning on bringing it to a toy and game swap meet here in town in 2 weeks anyway.

This thing is tiny as hell! But I love the packaging and presentation of the unit. All my efforts were totally worth it! The fact that I jumped through all these hoops to get one makes it more special actually having one now than if I just walked into a store about bought one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sat down with my son and we played the heck out of it. I kicked his ass at SF2, even with damage turned up, because he had no idea. Played some Contra and he died a lot. Hell, I died a lot. That's a hard game.

Put in SMW and that was it, that was the sweet spot. I think we sunk two hours into it easy. Man, that was great.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Sat down with my son and we played the heck out of it. I kicked his ass at SF2, even with damage turned up, because he had no idea. Played some Contra and he died a lot. Hell, I died a lot. That's a hard game.

Put in SMW and that was it, that was the sweet spot. I think we sunk two hours into it easy. Man, that was great.
    awesome... but give him a minute to practice. He will pwn you soon enough at Street Fighter. Us old men can't compete with those reflexes

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So far I'm loving the old RPGs. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the time I finish FF6, I've started it on.. PC (emulator), PSone, GBA, PS3, PSP, Vita... I always get a few hours past the opera and then something else comes up and when I come back to it I'm lost. It does *feel* best with a snes pad in hand, getting a sore neck sat on the floor.. Same with Earthbound actually.
    While it was a nice bonus, Star Fox 2 is a bit... not that good beyond its value as a curiosity.
    The saddest thing is none of these are on the Switch, but we all knew that, right?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    awesome... but give him a minute to practice. He will pwn you soon enough at Street Fighter. Us old men can't compete with those reflexes
    I tried to explain the moves but he wasn't getting it. These damn kids and their minecrafts, they don't have the calluses for quarter circle!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    So far I'm loving the old RPGs. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the time I finish FF6, I've started it on.. PC (emulator), PSone, GBA, PS3, PSP, Vita... I always get a few hours past the opera and then something else comes up and when I come back to it I'm lost. It does *feel* best with a snes pad in hand, getting a sore neck sat on the floor.. Same with Earthbound actually.
    While it was a nice bonus, Star Fox 2 is a bit... not that good beyond its value as a curiosity.
    The saddest thing is none of these are on the Switch, but we all knew that, right?
    FF6 is magic. While my personal favorite Final Fantasy game is 7, for a ridiculous set of reasons, 6 is maybe the most perfect JRPG I can point to objectively. If you haven't finished it... you really should. It's amazing...

And what the fuck is it with the Switch not supporting Virtual Console and all that? I've got a Wii U so I guess I have that base covered, but FUCK YOU NINTENDO. What the hell is wrong with this company? They're doing everything wrong, and yet they keep succeeding. They're like the Donald Trump of video games...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    FF6 is magic. While my personal favorite Final Fantasy game is 7, for a ridiculous set of reasons, 6 is maybe the most perfect JRPG I can point to objectively. If you haven't finished it... you really should. It's amazing...

And what the fuck is it with the Switch not supporting Virtual Console and all that? I've got a Wii U so I guess I have that base covered, but FUCK YOU NINTENDO. What the hell is wrong with this company? They're doing everything wrong, and yet they keep succeeding. They're like the Donald Trump of video games...
    at least they're not racist and homophobic? :/

not having the virtual console ready to go at system launch was a really dumb decision, though. i play more virtual console games on my wiiu than wiiu games, most of the time. i can't imagine how many switch owners want to be able to do the same, especially since there are so few switch titles out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I really don't understand why there's not a Virtual Console line set up yet, especially when it's already been determined that a NES emulator and Golf are already hidden inside the Switch. It would be such easy money for them; I mean Mario Bros. arcade was #4 on the most popular recent games the last time I looked, so clearly there's still a market for the old games. They're probably just waiting for the online service to launch, and it's infuriating that even that is taking as long as it is.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I seem to remember something about when they announced the online paid service they'd offer a 'select' retro game you could play for free each month, perhaps that is why they haven't done anything with the virtual console? They're going to make it part of the online package.

I also remember that there was a uproar when it was announced that, while Sony and Microsoft offer free games to play for as long as you had their service (which is pretty much as long as you have the console, if you want to play online), the Nintendo one was just a retro game for that month which seemed...not that great. I don't know whether they announced a price either so worth keeping that in mind.

The Switch is great, and Nintendo do make some great games, but as a company they do make some questionable decisions...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.gamestop.com/snes/consol...edition/152771

I'm guessing they won't last long but GameStop online has SNES Classics in stock.

*edit, gone within 10 minutes*
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 10-05-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    If you think they make terrible decisions, you should check out this book:

You find out at one point there was going to be a Sega PlayStation but Sega of Japan said, "nah".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow, the new SNES Classic hack was ridiculously easy. Up to like 40+ games on it now.

SHADOWRUN IS MINE ONCE AGAIN.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    In more 'Classic' news (well gossip and speculation at this point) Nintendo just registered a new Game Boy trademark in Japan

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/10/11/n...emark-in-japan

They also have one for the N64!? Now i may have grown up with the SNES and Gameboy, but i would really REALLY have to hold myself back to not get an N64 Classic!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I don't think I could forgive them a portable GB Classic with the Switch sitting there. I get the home console classics but I don't know about portable ones.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    In more 'Classic' news (well gossip and speculation at this point) Nintendo just registered a new Game Boy trademark in Japan

They also have one for the N64!? Now i may have grown up with the SNES and Gameboy, but i would really REALLY have to hold myself back to not get an N64 Classic!
    Oh I'm fittin' to go off on an N64 Classic Mini. I'm old enough, I go back to like Commodore 64, Vectrex...I played 'em all. And nothing makes me pumped for retro gaming more than the thought of reliving all those N64 titles without being gouged on ebay hahaha

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    well, my SNES classis is likely to be as much of an ornament as my NES classic, because I just don't have the lifestyle to play at home at the moment. So I'm thinking of getting a DS, and I've been trying to decide which model. The forthcoming SNES-skinned one is a strong contender.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

The SNES was my Jam. That was my all time favourite system, still to this day. Something magical about those times.

However, I was a fan of the N64 when it first came out, but as time went by, I realized just how bad those games have aged. N64 was an odd time for gaming with the transition from 2D to 3D. Don't get me wrong, it has some fabulous games on it, I just don't think they stand the test of time. It's kind of like Final Fantasy 7, fantastic game... in 1997.
    You try playing it now, and it really hasn't aged well. Good thing we're getting that FF7 remake, lol.

I think a few games from the N64 could do for a remake as well. I'd love to see an updated Mario 64 with smooth HD graphics (like Mario Odyssey style).

With that said, I'd still be down for one because I don't actually have a N64, and there are a couple games I wouldn't mind playing, but not enough to run out and buy the system, games and controllers.

Some notable games I hope would be on there would include, Mario 64, Mario Party, Wave Race, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Blast Crops, Goldeneye, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Quest 64. I'm sure I'm missing a ton more. Some of those would be impossible to get the rights to though, like Blast corps and Goldeneye since they're part of rare, and even Microsoft couldn't get the licensing to include Goldeneye on the Rare Replay collection for the Xbox one.

Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    well, my SNES classis is likely to be as much of an ornament as my NES classic, because I just don't have the lifestyle to play at home at the moment. So I'm thinking of getting a DS, and I've been trying to decide which model. The forthcoming SNES-skinned one is a strong contender.
    I hear ya. I got the Switch a few weeks ago, and I still haven't even had time to fully dive into that yet! Life somehow keeps getting in the way and prevents some good old fashioned video game playing! I have a huge backlog of Switch games I bought that I need to get through, and i still haven't even started Cuphead yet!

My SNES classic also hasn't been booted up yet. But it's very nicely placed on my shelf with the rest of the SNES/NES boxed games and is a marvelous ornament none the less, haha. But I am jonesin' for some Mega Man X these days.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 10-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    i have a 2DS and i wish it was a 2DS XL because i have a hard time seeing the small stuff on the screens. i never care about 3D shit at all, and the 2DS (even the XL) is way cheaper than a 3DS.