Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Joshua Jackson - a modular synth scam artist. Grr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Joshua Jackson - a modular synth scam artist. Grr.

Good (late) evenin' all,

So I barely posted here back in the day (though I did meet Gladcarrot after the Aragon shows - we had dinner at the 50s diner with Hazekiah - hello!), but I primarily belong to a forum for modular synthesizers and the like (muffwiggler.com). Figuring that there might be some cross-pollenation of interest (and after seeing that Nine Inch Nails is an 'Interest' of the accused, according to their Flickr account) I figured I'd throw this bit of news out there:

In the modular community, we have a bit of a scam artist running around by the name of Joshua Jackson (on our community he uses the username idioteque666. He has arranged for trades of gear, to which he stands accused of not sending back anything in return. The thread detailing the whole ordeal is publicly viewable (ie: doesn't require any membership) and can be found here.

If this is the wrong section or anything - please let me know or move it to where it should be. I just figured that, being that NIN'fans who also make music might be interested gear like this - you aught to know.

In this case - the police have been notified by at least two people who fell prey to the scheme. Next up, we call Robert Stack.

Gracias,
    Erik Tinberg

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoWantsJeans View Post
    the police have been notified by at least two people who fell prey to the scheme. Next up, we call Robert Stack.
    You might want to check with Fringe Division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    You might want to check with Fringe Division.
    Heh. I was just starting to google Joshua Jackson tonight (after he got a big warning on Matrixsynth.com, which is a hub for synth-nerds with ADD) and was hoping to come up with the Matrixsynth result above in the Google results.

However, I was totally unfamiliar with Fringe so when a shit-ton of Fringe came up I was like 'what is up with all this Fringe business.'

And to the mod who moved this - thank you. I didn't really know where to put it and I'm glad to see the warning still stands. Gracias!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    that sucks... but I'd recommend informing dealers to spread the word, rather than putting out an internet alert that causes the culprit to change his scam name. I'd actually personally recommend deleting this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    that sucks... but I'd recommend informing dealers to spread the word, rather than putting out an internet alert that causes the culprit to change his scam name. I'd actually personally recommend deleting this thread
    Actually, we're fairly certain that Joshua Jackson is his legal name - he could switch over to another name - sure but I see no harm on revealing what we currently know (rant on that later). Also, he isn't preying on dealers - he's preying on people susceptible to lies and guile. For instance, later in the Muffwiggler thread I linked to, there were actual newbies who were receiving PM's from him asking if they'd trade gear with him. Only because of the thread did they get their head straightened and backed out.

To that end - raising awareness of his tricks, even if he decides to switch names, will help others from falling for the same scam. At the end of the day, those who were scammed aught to have known better but because of the references he used (industry professionals, like Glitchmachines - who have now cleared up they have nothing to do with him) they let their guard down and fell for it. Here's to hoping nobody else does.