Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's IT

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yeah... apparently in a preview screening it was in there... we'll have to wait I guess?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man ... I loved this film. Haven't been able to get it out of my head. The score by Benjamin Wallfisch is great too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Might see this or just wait for the blu-ray release later this year.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Saw it again this afternoon:Spoiler: That scene in the house is easily tops for me. The way Pennywise contorts his body out of the refrigerator when he was going after Eddie was just chilling. I love that they made him so huge. I'm assuming this was an effect they did, because I'm pretty sure Bill Skarsgård isn't that tall of a man. Him mocking Eddie's asthma and crying was just terrific. After The Shining, this is a very close 2nd to being my favorite adaptation of a Stephen King novel.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Saw it again this afternoon:Spoiler: That scene in the house is easily tops for me. The way Pennywise contorts his body out of the refrigerator when he was going after Eddie was just chilling. I love that they made him so huge. I'm assuming this was an effect they did, because I'm pretty sure Bill Skarsgård isn't that tall of a man. Him mocking Eddie's asthma and crying was just terrific. After The Shining, this is a very close 2nd to being my favorite adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
    I haven't seen it yet so I don't know about the scene you're talking about but Bill Skarsgård is 6' 4" and very slim, which makes him look even taller.

I'm so glad it's a hit! I hope the second part will be as successful.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If the characters weren't supposed to be in their 40s for the sequel, Dane DeHaan would be a dead ringer for Bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw this earlier today and i really enjoyed it. However, i feel a bit torn. I rolled my eyes at the "fast motion shake your face around ahh I'm so startling" thing they went for at times. I mean, WHY? Creep me out, don't try to surprise me!
    That said, I think it did a very good job conveying the spirit of the novel. But it just feels like its missing something, i dunno. It is entirely possible that I'm simply comparing it against my own head-canon. [FUck, saying "head-canon" makes me feel dirty but words apparently don e gone failed me anyhow.]

Back on topic, I like Jinsai's thoughts about a certain character kinda taking another certain character's role in the next film. (Being vague cuz I'm too drunk to understand how to tag spoilers)

(Post-contextual Caveat: I fucking love the book)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I absolutely loved this movie. Haven't enjoyed myself that much at a theater in a very long time

The humor between the child actors were historical, and Pennywise was incredibly scary and his humor was dark and believable. Bill Skarsgard was incredible as Pennywise. Can't wait for chapter 2 ! BTW I'm really happy they broke it into two pieces, at the end I was very much still into it but my butt was starting feel numb . The movie has me really excited for Stranger Things season 2, I think everyone understands that thought ��. The one thing I can see people getting annoyed with is the jump scares, I personally like them but I can see why some wouldn't .

EDIT- I thought that spinning thing PW did was fine, it wasn't a big deal that they used it multiple times.

SpaceSucide go see this in the theater if you can, it really was that good .
    Last edited by Rdm; 09-12-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    This movie was fucking awesome. I'm waiting on the book to get delivered in another day, but damn. I'm pretty sure everyone on screen had some time to shine, one of the exceptions being Mike's backstory being told instead of shown (another 5-10 minutes could've solved that pretty easily, but hey). I love the new Pennywise and his presentation. And I'm looking forward to combing the internet for all the little things I probably missed because I was busy shitting myself. Chapter 2 can't come fast enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandelo View Post
    Saw this earlier today and i really enjoyed it. However, i feel a bit torn. I rolled my eyes at the "fast motion shake your face around ahh I'm so startling" thing they went for at times. I mean, WHY? Creep me out, don't try to surprise me!
    That said, I think it did a very good job conveying the spirit of the novel. But it just feels like its missing something, i dunno. It is entirely possible that I'm simply comparing it against my own head-canon. [FUck, saying "head-canon" makes me feel dirty but words apparently don e gone failed me anyhow.]

Back on topic, I like Jinsai's thoughts about a certain character kinda taking another certain character's role in the next film. (Being vague cuz I'm too drunk to understand how to tag spoilers)

(Post-contextual Caveat: I fucking love the book)
    Some scenes were cut out and some of the characters didn't have a proper backstory.

Spoiler: 1.Henry Bower's backstory was left out and there was a scene made for it that was cut out due to the non reaction from the test screenings. 2.Henry's friends getting killed in the sewers like in the book.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I liked the film a lot, thought it was a good adventure/fantasy movie, didn't think it was very scary though. As an adventure movie it was handled perfectly, but the scary parts just weren't scary enough and I wish they didn't have to do that loud BWOWWWW sound every time something scary was happening. Would have been much creepier if they did more stuff silently. I thought the creepiest parts were Pennywise asking Billy "this isn't real enough for you? It was real enough for Georgie" and Bev's dad. I loved Pennywise's cock-eye and drooling too. I thought the kids show on TV when the bully kills his father was pretty creepy too. I wish more of the scary scenes were handled like that.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Only nitpicks are that, yes, the disappearance of Henry's buddies is jarring, and Derry as a town needs more of an identity; they could have worked a bit at fleshing out the notion that the adults know but don't really acknowledge how kids disappear all the time. The town doesn't feel like a presence, more like a backdrop.

That aside I've no complaints. 10,000 awesome points for using The Cure's Six Different Ways

Was not prepared for how brutal the Georgie scene was. And

Spoiler: That shot of the Deadlights through his mouth? GAHHHHHHHHHHH NO THANK YOU. it's so easy to botch the incredibly toothy monster trope and have it come off as silly, but they gave him just the right amount for every scene.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw it and was surprised at how emotional I got towards it. Great acting. I definitely had a few minor quibbles with the changes made in the last third of the movie or so, but I loved it overall.

The comments coming out from Andy Muschietti about Part 2 are... interesting.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've seen It twice over the last few days. This could potentially be the best horror movie of the year. Bill Skarsgard does a fantastic job as Pennywise, and all of the child actors did great. Despite the movie being over two hours it flows very well and I was actually expecting a few scenes more after the end, wasn't bored for a second. My main nitpick is the CGI. There are some parts where it didn't look right, or finished. But definitely check this out if you haven't already. I can't recommend It enough.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    regarding the rows of sharp teeth, wanna nifty plot twist? This is a picture of the inside of a leatherback sea turtle's mouth.

Turtle reference? Am I reaching here?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    regarding the rows of sharp teeth, wanna nifty plot twist? This is a picture of the inside of a leatherback sea turtle's mouth.

Turtle reference? Am I reaching here?
    Thank you for that nightmare fuel. Nice catch though. Might be a little Easter Egg. I'm assuming they'll be omitting the turtle bit from the book for Chapter 2.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    director said The Turtle was just going to be making Easter egg appearances, at least in the first movie... who knows where they're going to go with the next one. The little information that's come out already seems to suggest a lot of possible craziness.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Fuckin' ACE! Loved it, loved every creepy-ass minute of it. Loved all the interactions between the gang. Pennywise was great and the scares never outlasted their welcome. I think it's as good an adaptation as we're ever going to get. Really looking forward to Chapter II.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graceless View Post
    The only moment that got an actual "Oh Shit" out of me was when Spoiler: the kids were in the garage watching the slides and Pennywise came out of the goddamn wall big as fuck and grabbing at them.
    Same here

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    or the strange sociopathic "run a train on me it's what I'm here for" thing in the book...
    cocaine's a helluva drug

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I liked the film a lot, thought it was a good adventure/fantasy movie, didn't think it was very scary though. As an adventure movie it was handled perfectly, but the scary parts just weren't scary enough and I wish they didn't have to do that loud BWOWWWW sound every time something scary was happening. Would have been much creepier if they did more stuff silently. I thought the creepiest parts were Pennywise asking Billy "this isn't real enough for you? It was real enough for Georgie" and Bev's dad. I loved Pennywise's cock-eye and drooling too. I thought the kids show on TV when the bully kills his father was pretty creepy too. I wish more of the scary scenes were handled like that.
    This is my exact review as well. You captured it perfectly. I was never really scared in this, but enjoyed the movie thoroughly. I think they made a really bad decision to go with the LOUD NOISES modern horror movie trope to signal to us OK NOW IS THE TIME TO BE SCARED, but the movie made $115 million opening weekend so they aren't gonna listen to me.

I thought the first 20-30 minutes were moving WAY too fast and the editing was poor. I couldn't get into the movie and kept getting distracted by all the cuts. Then the movie calmed down a bit and just told it's story, and improved greatly. The kids in this were phenomenal...great casting for sure. The girl who played Bev is the breakout star I would imagine. And as the movie referenced itself, big time shades of Molly Ringwald.

The Cure song was key, as was the use of Antisocial from Anthrax, and the Anthrax t-shirt from the one bully. Stephen King & Anthrax go way back...

So I assume that's the connection there.

Spoiler: Someone explain the floating kids to me. That looked like many many kids up there, not just the handful he killed recently. I thought he ate the kids to stay alive? If there were so many floating up there, are they not dead yet? Was he saving them to eat later? Has he feasted on their souls or something, and now their bodies will just float there as trophies? What gives?

Also have to laugh at the size of the sewer system for this small town. Laughed at that in the TV movie as well. It's this MASSIVE underground world that extends a ways away from the town, all to handle the needs of a small town USA type place. Seems like overkill and was always unbelievable to me. It's not a big deal & I get it, it is there to serve the plot...but still.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    IT will have a Director's Cut featuring 15 minutes of additional footage when it comes to home video...
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...otage#/slide/1

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    only 15 minutes? Awwww... I'd heard they cut 30 minutes from the original final cut.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just seen the movie this afternoon and I enjoyed it very much. This was the first horror film I seen in theaters since 2009's Rob Zombie film Halloween II.

I won't comment much based on reading everyone's replies as I'm along in line with it. Eagerly awaiting the second chapter to hit production. I might go back and rewatch the miniseries since I found it for 8.00 this week on blu-ray.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I probably won't get to see the movie on the big screen because the nearest theater is like 90 miles from me.
    But I am rereading the book, which I haven't read since I was in middle school I think. It's fucking awesome because I don't remember like 98% of it, and JESUS, it's a masterpiece

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, it really is the best book King ever wrote, and while it seems most people I know who read it did so when they were younger, there's so much in there that you cannot truly understand until you're an adult.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the book i read was the first paperback pressing. checked it out from the kimberly, idaho, library and never returned it. really wish i still had it.

saw the movie. enjoyed it, but it was so glossy. the house was straight off a universal studios tour.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm about to dive into the book - Jesus Christ, this thing is hefty. But first, in light of my upcoming vacation in Colorado, I'm gonna power through The Shining in a couple days before I visit Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel again.

Once I finish It, though, I fully plan on seeing this movie again. I would hope this will stay in theaters long enough to read both, but anyone who decides this shouldn't be in theaters until at least Halloween is a FOOL.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I would hope this will stay in theaters long enough to read both, but anyone who decides this shouldn't be in theaters until at least Halloween is a FOOL.
    I'm still surprised this didn't come out at Halloween! Did they worry it wouldn't preform well against the endless squeals of Insidious and Saw?

Saying that, given how well this has been received, i'd bet a ton of horror fans will go see this again over anything else this October and do more business then anything just for that month.

...you'd have to be an idiot to not have this showing next month!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I probably won't get to see the movie on the big screen because the nearest theater is like 90 miles from me.
    But I am rereading the book, which I haven't read since I was in middle school I think. It's fucking awesome because I don't remember like 98% of it, and JESUS, it's a masterpiece
    90 miles to the nearest theater? i knew you lived in the texas panhandle, but is it seriously that remote?

edit: i have friends in amarillo. and waco. just hard to believe in 2017 america that there's such a distance. coming from someone raised in rural southern idaho.
    Last edited by kel; 09-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.