Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Had to snag the ltd 500 clear vinyl version.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    What do you have against New Bermuda? I dug Sunbather, but NB was a big step up.
    i connected emotionally with literally no part of the album. it did nothing for me. and musically, the only part i found interesting was the wah guitar solo that everyone else seemed to hate. it was a big disappointment for me after how much i got into the band not long before it was released. something about it just failed for me, in a truly epic way. i've tried to revisit it and it's the same. just a total :/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i connected emotionally with literally no part of the album. it did nothing for me. and musically, the only part i found interesting was the wah guitar solo that everyone else seemed to hate. it was a big disappointment for me after how much i got into the band not long before it was released. something about it just failed for me, in a truly epic way. i've tried to revisit it and it's the same. just a total :/
    I do love that solo.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Deafheaven and MONO at the Metro? Hopefully I'll see some of you there!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Deafheaven and MONO at the Metro? Hopefully I'll see some of you there!
    i'm honestly more excited for Drab Majesty than anyone else, but it'll certainly be a loud and beautiful show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    this band is laughably awful....i love metal, but someone please tell me how screaming inaudibly for 11 minutes over monotonous fuzzed out guitars is remotely interesting. its borderline insulting to call their new song good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i believe deafheaven would say to you what shirley jackson said to someone who wrote to her with negative criticisms:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It blends shoegaze and metal very well. The songwriting is strong. I think this particular songs reminds me more of Sunbather, and New Bermuda features tighter songwriting in my opinion. You either like it or don’t. And that’s ok. I really like it. Because you WISH you could write something as strong as these riffs/passages/solos and outros.

its prog-like and the vocals add a layer to it. I don’t mind the early mixes because it’s just like MBV keeping the levels to everything equal.

Side note, I understand you may not like it, but you can’t say it’s awful. Takes talent and endurance to write songs this long and have people enjoy it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I understand not liking this band in particular but to say this new song is fuzzed out guitars and inaudible screaming is quite a hyperbole. Vocals are pretty legible this time around and there's definite song structure and melodies. Demo to Sunbather I'd agree with the vocal delivery but that's about it.

Hey whatever.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like both new songs but his album doesn’t seen as aggressive, not that it’s a bad thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I feel like some of the solos are inspired by grunge era. And some feel very Billy Corgan like... but still very Deafheaven... why these two songs are so good? So epic!

also is this going to recur next album?

”Baby Blue”
    ”Canary Yellow”
    ”radiant Red”?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Both released tracks thus far have been gold. I'm pumped.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Both released tracks thus far have been gold. I'm pumped.
    My LP shipped yesterday. Hopefully will have it by Friday!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wha? They're releasing it early I guess? I keep checking to see if it's leaked yet, so I'm all for that if they decide to put it out early.

I've liked the singles so far, but I'm wondering if it'll be on the same caliber as Sunbather for me. New Bermuda didn't really hold up for me as much as I was hoping for.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Starting my third listen through OCHL. The thing is a masterpiece, fuck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    listening to it on NPR now

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's so good. Would I say it surpasses Sunbather? No. But it's slightly ahead of New Bermuda for me, personally.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Need to give it another full listen, but for me personally ... I think my initial reaction summed up my experience with the record. =/

It's certainly not a bad record, but it's just not what is peaking my interest into what made me so immersed in what they were doing initially. Sunbather worked for me because the black metal-ish tracks were aggressive, enlightening and frantic ... the noise / drone interludes only helped keep the record moody and with a tremendous flow.

Obviously these guys can do what they want and continue to experiment their sound, but I feel a tad disappointment that so far their past two releases haven't clicked with me as the first time I heard Sunbather. Still very much interested in checking them out next month ... especially with Drab Majesty and Uniform on the same bill.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm probably gonna be in the minority saying its an amazing album. the song writing is really strong. really does give off a mid nineties epic alt record album.

I personally love New Bermuda so much, it's my favorite album of theirs. Sunbather is still just OK to me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Enjoyable, but below Sunbather and New Bermuda for me. I was pretty disappointed in Chelsea Wolfe's appearance, too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm too lazy to seek out a downloadable version so I guess I'll just wait.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    NPR is streaming it...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    NPR is streaming it...
    Meh, I can wait.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Listening to Canary Yellow again with new outlook today and DAMN I love this song more than I initially did the first few times.

This band has the perfect craft of making 10+ minute tracks feel like they pass in a 2 minute time frame. Real talent right there to do it again and again.

Ugh, so excited to see them again July 19th.

As for the new album, I haven’t listened to the stream and the LP they notified shipping to me only had the label created and hasn’t been shipped. False alarm guys.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I love the new album. Sure, the genre blending trick that first stunned me on "The Pecan Tree" is now much more familiar, but Deafheaven is so good at it, it doesn't matter. A great listen all the way through.

And yeah Chelsea Wolfe cameo is disappointing a weird thing to advertise given how it came out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    happy record release day... really love the outro to the album... real pumpkins like bass playing on that (so Billy?)... its so good after a good week listening...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    happy record release day... really love the outro to the album... real pumpkins like bass playing on that (so Billy?)... its so good after a good week listening...
    I didn’t listen to the NPR stream so I’m eagerly waiting to get home and open my record. (Im)Patiently waiting to get off work.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    First night of the tour setlist:

Honeycomb
    Canary Yellow
    Sunbather
    Brought to the Water
    Come Back
    Worthless Animal

-

You Without End
    From the Kettle onto the Coil
    Dream House
    So excited for From the Kettle onto the Coil on the list!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've tried repeatedly to get into Deafheaven but haven't been able to until today. I love ​Ordinary Corrupt Human Love.