Thread: Random Tech Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I've borrowed a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface to use for recording stuff. It has two separate inputs (combined 1/4"-XLR jacks). I want to record a bunch of stereo sources mostly, and both inputs appear to be mono. so I managed to get a 1/8" to dual-1/4 adaptor so I could record both at once. This in theory, works, although I have two problems. One: I'm getting some kind of regular periodic noise on the output. I don't know if this could be a cable problem or not. Two, it means I have to carefully balance the levels for both inputs by hand using the pots on the Scarlett. This doesn't seem ideal. Am I basically just using the wrong tool for the job?
    I wouldn't trust that adaptor (unless it's gold-plated, which reduces the noise). Are you trying to record from a device with a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack output?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I wouldn't trust that adaptor (unless it's gold-plated, which reduces the noise). Are you trying to record from a device with a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack output?
    Short answer: yes. Longer answer: I have a short-term, fixed project of wanting to import some minidiscs from players which only have 1/8 headphone outs; after that it's digitizing vinyl, my Amp has 1/4.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I have a short-term, fixed project of wanting to import some minidiscs from players which only have 1/8 headphone outs
    Do you have a device (sound card, etc.) with a line-in input? If so, get a 1/8 male-male cable, plug one end on the line-in and the other on the minidisc's headphone out and record it with your computer. Now, why can't you digitize vinyl with Focusrite, since it has two combined 1/4"-XLR jacks? Does your amp have a single 1/4 output?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Do you have a device (sound card, etc.) with a line-in input? If so, get a 1/8 male-male cable, plug one end on the line-in and the other on the minidisc's headphone out and record it with your computer. Now, why can't you digitize vinyl with Focusrite, since it has two combined 1/4"-XLR jacks? Does your amp have a single 1/4 output?
    I have a sound card in my PC which is a bit of an ornament these days but I could use that for the purpose I guess.

With the focusrite, my amp has a single 1/4 stereo headphone output on the front and an RCA pair on the back labelled "Rec Out". But that leaves me with the manual-balancing issue for the inputs to the focusrite (each channel having a separate gain knob and no way to sync them)

Thanks for your replies!