Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    He shouldn't be concerned with the conventional thought behind what length technically constitutes an EP. It should just be the length that feels right. Who cares if the (no longer relevant) industry standard dictates that EPs are traditionally under 25 minutes – by that logic, Add Violence isn't an EP.
    Neither is Broken if you account for the covers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    He shouldn't be concerned with the conventional thought behind what length technically constitutes an EP. It should just be the length that feels right. Who cares if the (no longer relevant) industry standard dictates that EPs are traditionally under 25 minutes – by that logic, Add Violence isn't an EP.
    I was actually going to remark this.
    It is true. And I think the same. I couldn't care less about the time.
    But let's say 7 tracks under 35 minutes, mostly of it constituting of the average track length in the two previous EPs.
    Trent would definitely make up for the delay.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    5 NIN songs in 2016 along with Before the Flood soundtrack AND unreleased Fragile tracks
    5 NIN songs in 2017 along with Patriots Day & Vietnam soundtracks (and the Vietnam soundtrack is amazing)
    5? NIN songs in 2018 along with a tour and who knows what else?

So he missed getting the 3rd EP out by a few months...considering the quality of the output over the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied so far!!
    Totally! I am so happy Trent is the most prolific he's ever been lately, and I know it sounds whiny as fuck to complain about stuff like this. It's the curse of expectation, though. I described NTAE as the NIN I had been waiting for since 2002, so my expectation for "two major works" was at least one, potentially two full-length albums in the vein of NTAE, but instead we got a second EP which is aesthetically completely different (though I also love the shit out of it), and a third EP which seemed like was nothing more than some notes in a notebook as of the last time he mentioned it.

And yes, I love the soundtrack work, and I'm very glad they're always taking on new projects, but there's something about a full length Nine Inch Nails album that nothing else can replace, you know?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A single. Or a song on a movie soundtrack. Does that count?
    "Dude! Have you heard U2's latest minor work?"
    "You mean their new single?"
    "Yeah. That's what I said."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Totally! I am so happy Trent is the most prolific he's ever been lately, and I know it sounds whiny as fuck to complain about stuff like this. It's the curse of expectation, though. I described NTAE as the NIN I had been waiting for since 2002, so my expectation for "two major works" was at least one, potentially two full-length albums in the vein of NTAE, but instead we got a second EP which is aesthetically completely different (though I also love the shit out of it), and a third EP which seemed like was nothing more than some notes in a notebook as of the last time he mentioned it.

And yes, I love the soundtrack work, and I'm very glad they're always taking on new projects, but there's something about a full length Nine Inch Nails album that nothing else can replace, you know?
    Yeah, this EP experiment has been fun and songs like these might not have happened otherwise, but I do hope they do a full-length album next and hopefully we don't have to wait until 2022 to get it! I would LOVE more music like NTAE – it's also my favorite NIN release in a long time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I hope EP #3 is terrifying, as harsh and punishing as Tetsuo: The Bullet Man and Not The Actual Events, and yet the catchiest thing ever released with Trent's name on it.

Obviously I'll be excited for whatever he has in store for us but since we're just shooting in the dark right now that's the idea that really gets me revved.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    All I know is that The Idea of You, Burning Bright, and This Isn't the Place are some of my favorite NIN songs since The Fragile and I want more like them!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think these 3 EPs will set the grounds for the next album - how it will sound.
    Trent will read about what is pleasing fans most - and of course - the three EPs are actually fine by him.
    I think it's an experiment for the next full length 16 song album.
    Have you ever imagined a "NTAE"-like FULL LENGTH?
    But I believe there will be a great deal of AV lovers as well...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    I think these 3 EPs will set the grounds for the next album - how it will sound.
    Trent will read about what is pleasing fans most - and of course - the three EPs are actually fine by him.
    I think it's an experiment for the next full length 16 song album.
    Have you ever imagined a "NTAE"-like FULL LENGTH?
    But I believe there will be a great deal of AV lovers as well...
    He doesn't give a shit what is pleasing fans lol

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I'm ready for EP 3. Trent?...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    He doesn't give a shit what is pleasing fans lol
    That's why we have Hesitation Marks, then?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Exactly. Trent does what Trent does. He's said this in interviews as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Exactly. Trent does what Trent does. He's said this in interviews as well.
    Good. I actually quite like HM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/HesitationM...40080749537728

The Red Paintings wrote a long informational piece on the progress of their album.

In the process they let it drop that they are being mixed by non other than Alan Moulder.... oh... and they've put on a waiting list because he's busy with some guy named Trent and Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

The Red Paintings wrote a long informational piece on the progress of their album.

In the process they let it drop that they are being mixed by non other than Alan Moulder.... oh... and they've put on a waiting list because he's busy with some guy named Trent and Nine Inch Nails.
    "High profile 90s bands"????????? Totally insulting lol. How old is this red paintings guy, 13?

P.S. Does this mean Moulder is mixing NIN as we speak??????/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "High profile 90s bands"????????? Totally insulting lol. How old is this red paintings guy, 13?

P.S. Does this mean Moulder is mixing NIN as we speak??????/
    Which also means the next ep is still away off.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_tic_begins View Post
    Which also means the next ep is still away off.
    How can you know that? This tells us nothing about what stage they're at with the mixing. Or does it?
    Last edited by streetman; 03-06-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    It's a sad world, if HM meant to please us.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    i found it very pleasing (especially the second half). I outgrew my "all music must be loud and heavy and weird to be good" phase years ago

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    How can you know that? This tells us nothing about what stage they're at with the mixing. Or does it?
    The fact that its being mixed, i was (dreamfully hoping) to lognin and see the new ep has dropped anyday now.
    Its not sitting on a harddrive in Trents office waiting for him to click upload and release.
    The wait is painful . Im fine waiting if nothing has been announced but dont give me a eta and then drag that out.

Edit; im not complaining. Ep could take another year and ill be happy when it releases. Im a Tool fan .
    To me, no news (till theres real news aka concrete release date ), is good news.
    Last edited by the_tic_begins; 03-06-2018 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Please who? Who is us.
    Many a "die hard" Nin fan enjoyed HM.

Next album could be a collab between Brittany Spears and Lady Gaga. It will please many. Probably alot more than any previous release. Please the hardcore fans? Nope. But the charts would eat it up for a few weeks till the next pop song was pushed onto radio charts

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    i found it very pleasing (especially the second half). I outgrew my "all music must be loud and heavy and weird to be good" phase years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by the_tic_begins View Post
    Please who? Who is us.
    Many a "die hard" Nin fan enjoyed HM.

Next album could be a collab between Brittany Spears and Lady Gaga. It will please many. Probably alot more than any previous release. Please the hardcore fans? Nope. But the charts would eat it up for a few weeks till the next pop song was pushed onto radio charts
    HM can be good without its being labeled as a record that aimed to please. It had some TDS throwbacks, which can be interpreted as pleasing the fans, but overall, it was a NIN-lite/alternative-HTDA record. Over the years, the biggest asset of HM has became not as bad as some may imply, which is probably true, but hardly makes it a contender for being among the best, or even to be called a fanbase pleaser. Anecdotal arguments like "I, for one, liked it a lot" doesn't really mean much; I don't hate it either, but these last two EPs were numerous times bigger fan pleasers than HM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What I've understood is that Trent is also on the waiting list...

I didn't know The Red Paintings yet, but they sound quite good... :-)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    HM can be good without its being labeled as a record that aimed to please. It had some TDS throwbacks, which can be interpreted as pleasing the fans, but overall, it was a NIN-lite/alternative-HTDA record. Over the years, the biggest asset of HM has became not as bad as some may imply, which is probably true, but hardly makes it a contender for being among the best, or even to be called a fanbase pleaser. Anecdotal arguments like "I, for one, liked it a lot" doesn't really mean much; I don't hate it either, but these last two EPs were numerous times bigger fan pleasers than HM.
    On the flip side, arguments like "I, for one, didn't like it," or "I, for one, thought it was a NIN-lite/alternative-HTDA record" don't really mean much either. It's all subjective and while opinions can be popular or unpopular, none are truly "wrong." I personally really liked HM and consider it to be a strong album (stronger than The Slip and maybe even With Teeth IMO). It's certainly a polarizing album, but I do agree with you that these new EPs are collectively superior to HM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks is awesome. I think the last EP will decide if I like this collection of songs more than HM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laur.a View Post
    What I've understood is that Trent is also on the waiting list...

I didn't know The Red Paintings yet, but they sound quite good... :-)

How is it understood Trent is on the waiting list? The writeup says Moulder is busy with Trent and NIN.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    What if...

Broken is really EP 1 and NTAE is EP 2 and AV is EP 3 and we've been lied to this whole time and that's the trilogy?

Boom.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    What if...

Broken is really EP 1 and NTAE is EP 2 and AV is EP 3 and we've been lied to this whole time and that's the trilogy?

Boom.
    This would be:

a) conceptually fascinating, and
    b) absolutely fucking horseshit.

But I suppose I wouldn't really mind if we got new music regardless.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    What if...

Boom.
    Well you made me look up his exact quote so there's that haha

"Did you know Not the Actual Events was the first part of a trilogy of related EPs that will be released about 6-8 months apart? Now you do"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Why the fuck was it formatted like that? Goddamn copy and paste. Anyway "first" was the key word