Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Throbbing Gristle

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Throbbing Gristle

Briefly discussed in Controversial Music Opinions, I was surprised to realise that TG didn't have their own Musical Revolution thread.

So TG then: Coined the term "Industrial Music"; massively influential but nigh-on impenetrably oblique. At times anti-commercial, at others courting it. First active period in the late 70s, a brief reunion in 2011 before separating again, permanently with the sudden death of Peter Christopherson.

The offspring project 'X-TG', formed by Christopherson, Carter and Tutti and finished with the latter two only, released their final double-album "Desertshore / The Final Report" a week or so ago. Has anyone heard it yet?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Monte Cazazza gets the credit for the term 'industrial music'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love TG <3

But I didn't give their latest album a listen yet

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Throbbing Gristle

The cd version had a preorder price of 9GBP on amazon but has now shot up. I haven't seen it in any physical music shops yet (remember those?)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The cd version had a preorder price of 9GBP on amazon but has now shot up. I haven't seen it in any physical music shops yet (remember those?)
    Noticed it in Fopp Records UK yesterday. It's one of those book style oversize packages, pain in the arse to store but nice to have. £18.

Available in HMV stores too.
    Last edited by Camille; 12-03-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added info

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i got my digital download about a week ago, and both discs of the new album are fantastic. we were briefly discussing it over in the COIL thread.

i'm waiting for my special edition vinyl to arrive in the mail.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I can respect them, their influence and all but never really got into this band ever. Just blah to me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Throbbing Gristle

Not in my two local HMVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I can respect them, their influence and all but never really got into this band ever. Just blah to me.
    Probably better placed in the "controversial music opinions" thread.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not in my two local HMVs.
    I was surprised to see it in HMV tbh, since the shop I tend to visit have their cd selection down to a bare minimum. It's more like a branch of Curry's these days.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Probably better placed in the "controversial music opinions" thread.
    Nah, I didn't slander them hence why I posted here.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    i can understand that. they're a very acquired taste (at least their early stuff). you can just take pleasure in knowing you're not as weird/insane as some of us.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    As I said in the Coil thread, it doesn't get much more influential than this group of musicians. TG, PTV, Chris & Cosey, Coil... Definitely the most important collective of the past few decades IMO.

I've bought Desertshore/Final Report but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Really interested to hear what they do with Desertshore- been listening to the original a lot of late and absolutely adore it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    As I said in the Coil thread, it doesn't get much more influential than this group of musicians. TG, PTV, Chris & Cosey, Coil... Definitely the most important collective of the past few decades IMO.

I've bought Desertshore/Final Report but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Really interested to hear what they do with Desertshore- been listening to the original a lot of late and absolutely adore it.
    you're in for a treat. it's really some of the most gorgeous music this group of individuals have ever created.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This release is really really great. Even if you don't like anything they've ever done, I'd recommend you check it out

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Throbbing Gristle

Got the x-tg release for Xmas but haven't given it a full on spin yet. Preview seems good.

Mild thread hijack: carter tutti void. I love transverse! Has anyone heard the bonus track "crux"? Is it worth the extra few quid (if you buy digitally from sandbag)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The local University student newspaper run a feature called "Unknown Pleasures" where one person makes another listen to a random record. This particular one was "20 Jazz-Funk Greats". I quite enjoyed it.
    http://thecourieronline.co.uk/2012/1...bbing-gristle/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "The man keeps saying “I persuade you”. “I’ve got a little biscuit tin to keep your panties in, soiled panties, white panties, school panties, Y-front panties”. What is going on? This isn’t music; it’s an audio recording of a pervert."

Hahaha... I bet he's outraged that Hitler was paid to be in the movie Downfall as well.

What a Day and the Manchester version of discipline are the best on that album

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Throbbing Gristle

Ab70 or whatever was my highlight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Anyone got the X-TG companion album to Desertshore/Final Report titled "Faet Narok?"

Info from http://tg.greedbag.com/buy/-faet-narok-1/

X-TG - แฝดนรก (FAET NAROK)

แฝดนรก (FAET NAROK):
    Since the Desertshore project was first proposed back in 2006 there always existed the notion of an 'evil twin' mix in addition to the guest vocal version - แฝดนรก (Faet Narok) is that 'evil twin' album. Elements of this album are derived from recordings made by Sleazy in 2010 and audio explorations we pursued during the recording of the Desertshore 'mother album' including selected parts from the guest vocalists. As you may expect, 'Faet Narok' is difficult to categorise ... but as Sleazy would say "it just is".
    Tracklisting:
    Faet Narok One
    Faet Narok Two
    Faet Narok Three
    Faet Narok Four
    Faet Narok Five
    Faet Narok Six
    Faet Narok Seven
    Faet Narok Eight

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah, i listened to it totally separate from listening to the album proper, and it was incredible. it didn't play like a "remix" album at all...just some great, ambient drone.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Got a copy of this for about twenty quid!

Great so far... amazing how many times Gen made the papers as a schoolboy for his antics

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah, i listened to it totally separate from listening to the album proper, and it was incredible. it didn't play like a "remix" album at all...just some great, ambient drone.
    Sounds good, think i'll purchase soon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    a brief reunion in 2011 before separating again, permanently with the sudden death of Peter Christopherson.
    They re-grouped before that in 2004.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I apologize for the slight thread diversion, but I thought it pointless to begin a new thread for PTV.

Fans of TG/Psychic TV/etc need to hear this.... https://soundcloud.com/bloglin/b-k-s...psychic-tv-mix

The B.K. Scum mix traces the musical history of Psychic TV, showcasing hits and rarities in equal measure with exclusive vocals from Genesis.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    just saw this on facebook, spot the tg reference...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the party i co-run/dj for put on their second to last event with genesis reciting poetry over a series of noise and experimental durmstrang. dunno why i neglected to mention this before it happened for anyone interested (though it was a shitshow to get in), but it was excellent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like Psychic Tv better myself, though I was stoked to catch TG at Coachella that last time...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    actually, despite the above post, psychic tv is my least favorite of any of the projects... though we did have a night when gen did all the old material for the first time in forever, backed by an acoustic guitar and some analog synths. anyway, they just reissued dreams less sweet on vinyl and it's a must have if you don't have an original copy...

as for preference, it goes coil > chris & cosey > TG > PTV > PTV (garage rock incarnation)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Anyone got the X-TG companion album to Desertshore/Final Report titled "Faet Narok?"

Info from http://tg.greedbag.com/buy/-faet-narok-1/

X-TG - แฝดนรก (FAET NAROK)

แฝดนรก (FAET NAROK):
    Since the Desertshore project was first proposed back in 2006 there always existed the notion of an 'evil twin' mix in addition to the guest vocal version - แฝดนรก (Faet Narok) is that 'evil twin' album. Elements of this album are derived from recordings made by Sleazy in 2010 and audio explorations we pursued during the recording of the Desertshore 'mother album' including selected parts from the guest vocalists. As you may expect, 'Faet Narok' is difficult to categorise ... but as Sleazy would say "it just is".
    Tracklisting:
    Faet Narok One
    Faet Narok Two
    Faet Narok Three
    Faet Narok Four
    Faet Narok Five
    Faet Narok Six
    Faet Narok Seven
    Faet Narok Eight
    There's also a huge collection of leftovers from the previous Desertshore recordings called "The Desertshore Installation". Genesis was involved with those. They were made in 2007, probably about the same time they were putting the finishing touches on Part Two: The Endless Not.
    @Sutekh, yeah, I totally got it!