Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been watching The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki lately. I like the idea of Haruhi characters separated from their sci-fi/fantasy aspects, but I also was given the impression that Nagato would be the focus of the series, and yet Haruhi's already burst in by episode 3 and is starting to feel like the focus of the series. I really hope it doesn't take that direction - Nagato's far more interesting in this setting than Haruhi.

Waiting on Digimon Adventure Tri to start, and also for Kizumonogatari. I have no idea when Kizu comes out, though - I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I think some other Monogatari series is coming out before, but there's never any English information about any of them so it's really hard to tell.
    @orestes , Princess Jellyfish and Madoka are the shit. Good picks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by final destiny View Post
    waiting on digimon adventure tri to start
    i am so excited

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    How am I just now discovering Ranma 1/2?!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Going to bump this because I finished watching Plastic Memories. Holy fuck that was a sad series. Been going through a huge anime phase as of late (durarara, sao, etc.).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I need to buy more Yu Yu Hakusho seasons. I only own season one's blu ray. I haven't seen the show in sooooooooo long. I wanna dive into it in such a bad way too. I originally watched the uncut episodes on Adult Swim when they originally debuted on CN like 13 or more years ago? Whoa shit.

I bought the blu-ray seasons of Attack on Titan too but haven't decided to delve into it like a madman yet! I also gave a blind buy when getting the first season of Black Butler on blu-ray as well.

I'm slowly increasing my anime sets but not by much. I'm selective when it comes to anime and it really doesn't help that getting some of these shows is so outrageously overpriced it isn't funny.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Cowboy Bebop The Complete Series is the deal of the day on Amazon today. Over 20 bucks cheaper than what I paid when it released, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_11650...de=11650949011

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Anime

Oh my god, thank you! I had credit on my trade-in account so I ended up paying less than a dollar for the blu-ray.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Cowboy Bebop The Complete Series is the deal of the day on Amazon today. Over 20 bucks cheaper than what I paid when it released, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_11650...de=11650949011
    i got the blu-ray on eBay for $35.00 and I thought that was a deal.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Has anyone watched Gangsta yet?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just finished watching Gangsta. Awesome series. Hopefully gets a second season. Also, just started watching Shimoneta. Holy shit, it's hilarious. And I might start season 2 of Durarara over the weekend.
    Last edited by Piko; 10-01-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I need a new anime to start this season, but I'm not sure what to pick. I mostly watch slice-of-life bullshit, but I could try out an action series too. Leaning towards Hibike! Euphonium, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just got both seasons of Space Dandy on blu-ray. It's made by the studio behind Cowboy Bebop. High production values and its super goofy. Give it a go.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    To this day, I've never seen Cowboy Bebop...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Never got around to it. Pretty long list of things I missed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So I watched the live action Attack on Titan last night. Anyone else see this? I found it to be completely pointless and a waste of time and money to whoever made it.

It had potential but the changes made to the story, the shitty CGI and acting ruined it for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yet to even watch the anime for that. Has anyone seen the live action death note?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Yet to even watch the anime for that. Has anyone seen the live action death note?
    I did and liked it till the story becomes just about "L" (third movie i think...)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    meh. watch the attack on titan anime instead since u havent

I hate to say it but I think the American Death Note will fare much better as a film. Typically American adaptations of anime do fucking suck but I do see more potential considering the budgets/ resources we can get. My dream would be for American money to finance Japanese film (think how Harry Potter were really British movies in essence despite being a product of Hollywood and how much charm and cultural woosh it brought to the films.)

Of course budget/ resources doesn't = quality but I do just think there is something that tends to be missing in Japanese live action adaptations that cannot simply be fixed with talent and care, which is the core problem for the American ones, that and pretending the story isn't Japanese which I file under the "care" category.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 10-02-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Has anyone watched Gangsta yet?
    Good show, though the animation was subpar for an action series - I wish Madhouse would have handled the production; Gangsta had a similar vibe to Black Lagoon, which Madhouse nailed years ago, and could have done a lot more with Gangsta than Manglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I have no idea when Kizu comes out, though - I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I think some other Monogatari series is coming out before, but there's never any English information about any of them so it's really hard to tell.
    Kizu is set for January '16 (finally!) and the new trailer looks glorious - also, a new Monogatari season is currently airing!

Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I need a new anime to start this season, but I'm not sure what to pick. I mostly watch slice-of-life bullshit, but I could try out an action series too. Leaning towards Hibike! Euphonium, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions?
    Hibike! Euphonium was great - nice animation (as expected from KyoAni) along with a good mix of comedy and drama.

As for this season, One Punch Man is looking like a winner. The story is a fun satire of the super hero genre and the animation is stellar. Only one episode has aired so far, but it's looking like a good action anime on par with the likes of Kill la Kill!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    One Punch Man seems pretty funny, I'll probably try that out. And I did see the Kizu PV - fucking finally. Haven't started Owari yet, but I'll get on that soon.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The art style for Gangsta works for that kind of show. Dark, gritty, but simple. Been watching Kaikyu. Not sure what it is, but I like it. Not sure what keeps me going back to it. I don't even like volleyball...

And I finally started Attack on Titan (three episodes in). Not sure what my opinion of it is, yet. The titans are creepy looking though. Some look goofy and even innocent when they really aren't. Big goofy smile, then kills some girl without any thought or hesitation.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

OMG I just finished Mind Game. It's on netflix. Watch it. No, get high and watch it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Sooooo I was at Best Buy and they had a sale...

I left the store with 3 seasons of Ranma 1/2.

19.99. They're beautiful blu-ray box sets. Embossed, accented with gold, sturdy as fuck and full color 60 page episode guides. Now I need the other 4 seasons!

Any fans?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Sooooo I was at Best Buy and they had a sale...

I left the store with 3 seasons of Ranma 1/2.

19.99. They're beautiful blu-ray box sets. Embossed, accented with gold, sturdy as fuck and full color 60 page episode guides. Now I need the other 4 seasons!

Any fans?
    Oh yeah, Ranma's great. I got the first box set for free as a review copy back when I used to work for an anime site, and I'd love to get all the other volumes-- just can't afford it right now. I'm also holding off on the Sailor Moon rerelease in the hopes that they'll eventually release a full-series boxset and I can get the whole thing in one fell swoop.

Btw, here's my review of the first Blu-Ray collection from last year, just for the hell of it:
    http://www.japanator.com/review-ranm...-1-32535.phtml

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I recommend blue exorcist, Satans son is procured to become an exorcist and take out satan. It quite good.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Nice reason to rewatch Neon Genesis Evangelion: the original series is supposedly happening during September-December 2015.
    Downloading BDRip of it as we speak.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Nice reason to rewatch Neon Genesis Evangelion: the original series is supposedly happening during September-December 2015.
    Downloading BDRip of it as we speak.
    Has anyone seen the Blurays? Are they horrible like the Akira bluray?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Has anyone seen the Blurays? Are they horrible like the Akira bluray?
    I have not watched them myself, though I have seen screenshot comparisons to past releases and they're not the best they could be. But they are the best release of the series. There's apparently a tint issue with the series, though it's only really noticeable if you're very perceptive, episode 16 looks awful because they lost the original master, and instead of rescanning whatever replacement negative they had, they simply upscaled the 480i scan they did for the past dvd releases, and finally, EOE looks pretty mediocre in every form on the boxset, mostly because I think some of the digital effects they used were of low res at the time.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I have not watched them myself, though I have seen screenshot comparisons to past releases and they're not the best they could be. But they are the best release of the series. There's apparently a tint issue with the series, though it's only really noticeable if you're very perceptive, episode 16 looks awful because they lost the original master, and instead of rescanning whatever replacement negative they had, they simply upscaled the 480i scan they did for the past dvd releases, and finally, EOE looks pretty mediocre in every form on the boxset, mostly because I think some of the digital effects they used were of low res at the time.
    ... That's brutal. Leliel is one of the best concepts in the series. Depressing.