Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Live songs with the backup singers (Lisa Fischer and Sharlotte Gibson)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Live songs with the backup singers (Lisa Fischer and Sharlotte Gibson)

Hello,

So I was wondering, from those of you that got to check out that particular tour (sadly, the last time I saw NIN live was toward the tail end of the aWitha Teetha days), is there any kind of definitive list of what songs were performed with backing vocals?

I kind of want to go scouring the internet for recordings of tracks that weren't on the "official" Tension video that was posted online, but I don't really know where to start.

Also, what are some of people's personal favorites from this particularly unique band configuration? Are there any songs that anyone felt were particularly enhanced by the backup singers?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I think they performed 38 unique songs at those shows, and about 75% of those songs eventually featured the entire band. Some songs did not at first, and then Lisa and Sharlotte's parts were added later on. These are the ones that never had them: "A Warm Place" (Alessandro solo), "Find My Way", "The Frail", "Head Like a Hole", "Hurt", "March of the Pigs", "Piggy", "Somewhat Damaged", "Terrible Lie", "Wish", and "1,000,000".

Songs with Sharlotte and Lisa:

• All the Love in the World (such a huge fan favourite that there are fan-made on YouTube)
    • All Time Low
    • The Big Come Down
    • Burn, , holy shit, that lighting, performance, everything... jesus fuck
    • Came Back Haunted
    • Copy of A (the Vevo show does not have them on it, I believe they did it with all eight people)
    • The Day the World Went Away, which is a cool arrangement because it has AND on drums for the ending
    • Disappointed
    • Echoplex, with really
    • Even Deeper
    • The Hand that Feeds (only some shows, like )
    • I'm Afraid of Americans,
    • In This Twilight had , to amazing effect
    • In Two
    • Into the Void, which is the first time for the stage IMO
    • Only (I think I've seen Lisa sing the word "fucking" onstage, haha!)
    • Reptile (again, )
    • Sanctified
    • Satellite, on this one
    • Survivalism
    • While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
    • The Wretched

I also loved their cover of , particularly because Pino played bass on the original record and I was secretly hoping they would bust something out off of I, Assassin album for that reason.
    Last edited by botley; 01-02-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More links, and added TWO songs to the list

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I remember The Wretched with the girls being really good, Into The Void was also a standout, and obviously Black Noise was enhanced by Lisa and Sharlotte. Did not know that they had done Copy of A with the backup singers.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I added more shit to my last post, hadn't realized they also did "The Hand that Feeds" and "Reptile" with Sharlotte and Lisa in Vegas.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I love threads like this... man some of those performances are screaming out for better captures (assuming they aren't already in circulation). God keeping track of live takes, variations, curiosa is a full time job!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    • Into the Void, which is the first time for the stage IMO

that's just the truth not an opinion

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @botley , good effort and good job. Thanks.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I love threads like this... man some of those performances are screaming out for better captures (assuming they aren't already in circulation). God keeping track of live takes, variations, curiosa is a full time job!
    Yup. I tried to do it for EVERY song, on my blog http://ninsongs.com, but gave up before even finishing Pretty Hate Machine haha.

Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    that's just the truth not an opinion
    Previous best effort was the 2006/2007 era mashup of "La Mer" and ItV; prior attempts at the intro in 1999 and 2000 were pisspoor in comparison. Ilan on 'cello FTW
    Last edited by botley; 01-03-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Watching Lisa and Sharlotte rock out to Burn is amazing. Thank you for putting that list together.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Watching Lisa and Sharlotte rock out to Burn is amazing. Thank you for putting that list together.
    Yeah, that was great. And the lighting was absolutely fucking bonkers. Why didn't they show this stuff on the official Tension YouTube video? Oh, right. It's going to be on the Blu-ray... soon...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    You're quite welcome! I would love to interview Lisa someday, she seems like an amazing person with an incredible career of awesome singing, who's finally starting to get her due attention from the 20 Feet from Stardom film and now her solo tour.

Sharlotte is also one of the guest singers on Iggy Pop's last album, produced by Trent's buddy Josh Homme...
    Last edited by botley; 01-03-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Really liked the Big Come Down w/ the backup singers:

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I just re-watched the performance of "The Day the World Went Away" that I linked to, and it really is superb. Josh Eustis completely shines on that when he takes the guitar solo, and Lisa's falsetto right at the end gave me shivers. Then Trent tells the story about coming to DC for the first time (yes I'm going to be that Internet guy and correct him) in '88, to open for Skinny Puppy, haha. "We were terrible."

It's staggering to realize how much the band evolved between those early days (playing to a reel-to-reel tape machine onstage), and this eight-headed monster delivering amazingly faithful renditions of such beautifully complicated and textured music.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This was the greatest lineup in any band ever.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    There should probably be a ninwiki category for songs Lisa and Sharlotte sung on.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For many years I've been thinking of creating a table for each tour page at ninwiki that shows all instrument configurations per song (who plays what). Maybe now I'll actually sit down and do it.
    Last edited by fillow; 01-04-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ Good luck, haha. Really tricky to nail down, especially since the arrangements would change sometimes even mid-tour.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ^^

Wow thanks for that Burn video. lights are fucking crazy.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    There should probably be a ninwiki category for songs Lisa and Sharlotte sung on.
    I went in and added the list of songs to the pages for Lisa and Sharlotte. I'd rather do that than have a category that would only apply to a live version from one leg of one tour. I can also go through and add the info to the live section of the pages for each of those songs if you guys think that would be good.
    Last edited by piggy; 01-07-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The way the ladies wailed during The Wretched was unbelievable. Goosebumps.