Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Evening with David Byrne and Trent Reznor in Los Angeles

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

An Evening with David Byrne and Trent Reznor in Los Angeles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope they hit things off and decide to book some studio-time together.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Ahahaha fuck my life, I want to go to this so badly
    If this kind of thing isn't normally recorded by the venue, it would be neat if someone could accidentally leave on their camera for the whole thing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So it looks like this is part of a larger book tour for Byrne for How Music Works, and he's appearing with people throughout the tour. The first part of the tour, it's mostly journalists he's paired with. The last part, he's mostly paired with other musicians (with Bernie Krause in San Francisco and Carrie Brownstein in Portland). Here's a blurb on the book... sounds really interesting.

How Music Works is David Byrne's remarkable and buoyant celebration of a subject he's spent a lifetime thinking about. He explains how profoundly music is shaped by its time and place, and how the advent of recording technology forever changed our relationship to playing, performing, and listening to music. Acting as historian and anthropologist, raconteur and social scientist, he searches for patterns—and tells us how they have affected his own work over the years with Talking Heads and his many collaborators. Touching on the joy, physics, and the business of making music, he also shows how it is inextricably linked to its cultural and physical context.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tickets procured!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well, this is... a thing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tickets purchased. I will be inside of this. I can't wait!

I couldn't afford the book at checkout, but if there really is a signing I hope we can purchase it on the day of the event. It sounds like a great read, David Byrne rarely has anything boring to say.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Holy shit. Bought that shit so fast.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Since the discussion is about music marketing etc, I wonder if this will coincide with the HTDA release?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Since the discussion is about music marketing etc, I wonder if this will coincide with the HTDA release?
    While I wouldn't be suprised if it got a vague mention, but I doubt we'll hear much new. We can but hope however

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I figure this is an okay place to post this new David Byrne video.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    i preordered this record a few months back. i cant wait for it to get here.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I may have to sell my ticket to this event. Anyone interested?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    ...if someone pays me a roundtrip and a simple hostel, I would (better could) be very interested!

It doesn't hurt to dream

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe, what are you looking to get for it?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakenWakes View Post
    Maybe, what are you looking to get for it?
    Face value. So, $25.

I should know by next week if I'm going or not.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Btw guys, in the Q&A bit, I think someone should ask about Tapeworm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Miss Baphomette, I am interested! Please let me know if still available. Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Btw guys, in the Q&A bit, I think someone should ask about Tapeworm
    And Marilyn Manson.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Don't waste valueable Q&A time on that rubbish, bring out the heavy guns, like Yo, where is the Fragile re-issue, and whatever happened to this so called HTDA that was apparently finished in May.

Is there even going to be an open Q&A for Trent's career to answer NIN questions? Seems like this session is moreso devoted to the release of this other Dude's new book, and sounds like Trent was invited as he is basically one of the first musicians who started the whole "music as a businessman all on your own in the digital age without a record label" approach.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A few days ago I skimmed through his new book when I spotted it at Barnes & Noble. It's quite an impressive collection of information, history, and thoughts.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Don't waste valueable Q&A time on that rubbish, bring out the heavy guns, like Yo, where is the Fragile re-issue, and whatever happened to this so called HTDA that was apparently finished in May.

Is there even going to be an open Q&A for Trent's career to answer NIN questions? Seems like this session is moreso devoted to the release of this other Dude's new book, and sounds like Trent was invited as he is basically one of the first musicians who started the whole "music as a businessman all on your own in the digital age without a record label" approach.
    The open QA is MEANT for questions about the industry. But people are going to be asking about Talking Heads reforming and that crap, so I'm sure the NINnies there can throw some questions at Trent about Coke Zero and its effects in the workplace.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i didn't realize it but David Byrne was staying in the hotel where i was doing work today (on the top floor at the Vertigo Sky Lounge, re-doing their sound-system). there were a couple dudes outside with talking heads records, waiting to talk to him and get them signed. they were talking to St. Vincent when i was getting ready to leave, but i didn't realize it until she rode away on her bike (which was adorable).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The open QA is MEANT for questions about the industry. But people are going to be asking about Talking Heads reforming and that crap, so I'm sure the NINnies there can throw some questions at Trent about Coke Zero and its effects in the workplace.
    David Byrne has a record and tour to promote. Don't you think Mr. Reznor would also take the opportunity to promote something?

I know I'm among the less hopeful for new HTDA this year, but still, if he's going to make any REAL announcements, he might as well do them in the next week or two.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    God, I hope there's no audience Q&A, or if there is that they weed out NIN fans who think this is a Trent Reznor Event. This is a stop on Byrne's book tour... he has some intellectual arm candy at most stops, and in LA it's TR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I some how missed this! If any one has 1 or two extra tickets please let me know, and hopefully we can work something out. I'm a massive NIN fan and love the Talking Heads fan and I would love to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, I would love to go to this and didn't hear about it till tickets were gone. If you still have any extra tickets I would love to buy them.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    God, I hope there's no audience Q&A, or if there is that they weed out NIN fans who think this is a Trent Reznor Event. This is a stop on Byrne's book tour... he has some intellectual arm candy at most stops, and in LA it's TR.
    Wait... you don't consider TR to be intellectual arm candy? Or just his fans?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Wait... you don't consider TR to be intellectual arm candy? Or just his fans?
    At most stops on his book tour, Byrne has special guests who are either helping to lead the discussion or adding to the discussion because of their expertise in certain areas. I said that TR was indeed Byrne's intellectual arm candy at the LA stop of his book tour.

To emphasize the fact that this is not a true double billing. TR is a special guest. And NIN fans might sadly be inclined to make a Q&A (if there is one) All About Trent.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear more on what TR has to say about working on TGWTDT.

When you talk about the physics and sciences of scoring a scene, how deep into the settings does he get? Take the table scene in Lisbeth's home. If the table was dark green, breakfast was toast, coffee was in mugs & the curtains were red and drawn closed... but everything else was the same... would the music sound the same? Do curtain colours affect the audio frequencies, instruments/synths used, volume etc...? Does it matter if Mikael is clean shaven or has stubble? Or does TR/AR only look at the situation and words being said. What was the longest amount of time spent on a scene trying to come up with a suitable track? This I would love to see answered.