Page 41 of 241 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Perhaps, but why throw the 'blame' on Atticus when Alan Moulder has worked with him for just as long? Come to think of it, Trent Reznor's worked with Nine Inch Nails since 1988. That's 25 years. Surely it's time for him to pass the mantle over to someone else. Wouldn't want it to become stale.

At this point, we could have 'waved goodbye' to NIN several times over, but we haven't, and that's because Trent obviously enjoys writing new music [and also has a family to take care of now]. If it's becoming same-y, it's because he's carved a niche for himself that he's happy working within. If he wasn't happy working, there would be no more NIN. Most importantly, he's built a team of friends and colleagues that can operate within that niche, and as such, those names will crop up again and again, from Atticus Ross to Leo Herrera. That doesn't mean they're to 'blame' for what Trent decides *is* NIN.

I'm amazed he's decided to go back on stage and belt out Closer and Head Like A Hole just like the old days. After The Slip, that could have been it, and we would have had HTDA and soundtrack work until the end of days. But that isn't the case. NIN is back. The new material is awesome. We're in for a hell of a ride in the next month.
    I think you misunderstood (and threw a lot of crap out that had nothing to do with the initial opinion) since I understand what was meant let me explain it, and don't put 3 paragraphs worth of words into my mouth after I say it. Mixing and production have a lot to do with the sound of the album, and I share the sentiment that a small part of me would like to see people in those roles other than Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, 12 Rounds, and Atticus Ross' soundtracks are all amazing in their own right. Alan Moulder's work for The Jesus and Mary Chain is some of my favorite production work of all time. You're also right that TR can do whatever he wants obviously (which is why before now I've only ever thought it without saying it) I think earlier in TR's career he made a point to pick producers who "fit" what he was going for with an album Flood for TDS, PHM.... and Dave Ogilvie on The Fragile. I personally think Flood was always the best fit for NIN, and its totally within my ability as a human to have that opinion without implying that I wish Trent Reznor would leave Nine Inch Nails. That was a douchy response to a legitimate opinion and you know it.

Anyways my rant brings up an interesting point, since he went all Russel Mills with the artwork (Rob Sheridan has obviously done the last few albums) it would have been cool if he had brought Flood back as well. I wonder if TR still has any kind of relationship with Flood...

*edit also I would like to state that I (kind of in an implied way) think you were right in a way that Alan Moulder should have been added to that discussion as well, especially since he is the producer and probably has a lot more to do with the sound than Atticus. (I say probably because who knows how big Atticus' roll in the studio actually is these days)
    Last edited by brokenfragility; 08-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    woah, someone clearly needs a tampon..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenfragility View Post
    I think you misunderstood (and threw a lot of crap out that had nothing to do with the initial opinion) since I understand what was meant let me explain it
    The guy clearly said "I blame Atticus". What I did was merely call that out, because Atticus deserves at least some credit where NIN is concerned. I'm sorry that I offended you by saying that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenfragility View Post
    (I say probably because who knows how big Atticus' roll in the studio actually is these days)

That was made as a joke by someone else here in ETS if I remember well, but as of lately I'm always actually wondering how much is Trent's work and how much is Atticus, specially when they are sharing writting credits. Maybe AR just pushes the "record" button and listens while Trent does all the good stuff. XD

Regarding Meathead, Trent seemed to find him funny (because he could be really funny), but I'm not so sure about if he liked this review:

http://www.buddyhead.com/2010/05/21/.../#.Uf-IAaxGP_Q
    Last edited by Max Leo; 08-05-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Leo View Post
    Regarding Meathead, Trent seemed to find him funny (because he could be really funny), but I'm not so sure about if he liked this review:

http://www.buddyhead.com/2010/05/21/.../#.Uf-IAaxGP_Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead in aforementioned review
    ... like perhaps a five-minute banjo solo ...
    And then two and a half years later, BAM! ICE AGE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the new stuff im hearing. Finally heard copy of a and find my way at lolla. Very cool way to open the show. Cant wait to hear the rest of the album. Whenever i hear CBH, the chord structure in the chorus always sounds like "the beginning of the end" to me. I always find myself singing in my head "we think weve come so far...." when the chorus hits.

But I still love it. Pre ordered all versions because my collection needs to stay 100% complete.

Really wish they wouldve played "burn" and "everything" like the setlist said...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think I made that meme

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I think I made that meme
    It's awesome. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I need this cd now. Must hear Copy of A and Find My Way studio versions before I wear them out!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like the new stuff. Is it just me, i could be reaching. Is it possible trent is referencing his mother on this verse of "find my way."

He did say she recently passed in that nytimes interview. What does everyone else think? It likely he did not really want to see all some of the lyrics and imagery nin brought forth years ago. Its possible i think.

"You were never meant to see All those things inside of me Now that you have gone away I'm just trying to find my way."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm stoked I haven't listened to anything related to the new album except CBH. My virgin Hesitation Marks ears will get to experience all these songs for the first time in full studio clarity and in the right sequence. Yes!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    I like the new stuff. Is it just me, i could be reaching. Is it possible trent is referencing his mother on this verse of "find my way."

He did say she recently passed in that nytimes interview. What does everyone else think? It likely he did not really want to see all some of the lyrics and imagery nin brought forth years ago. Its possible i think.

"You were never meant to see All those things inside of me Now that you have gone away I'm just trying to find my way."
    where does it say anything about his mother having passed away in that article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent's mom passed away back in early 2011...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    where does it say anything about his mother having passed away in that article?
    I think he's referencing the NY Times speaking engagement -- see e.g. http://ninarmy.com/home/trent-talkin...n-pareles.html

I was there, it was cool

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I think he's referencing the NY Times speaking engagement -- see e.g. http://ninarmy.com/home/trent-talkin...n-pareles.html

I was there, it was cool
    i literally had no idea about that speaking engagement (not sure how i missed it). also didn't know his mom had actually passed away. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broevol View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?
    Not wanting to reopen the whole "remix" can of worms, but I'm guessing rights issues with Pretty Hate Machine would prevent them from "remixing" from the PHM tapes. Whether or not they'd re-record this version would be a different story. But then it wouldn't be a "remix".

Thinking of the rights issues issue made me think, about the only songs they'd be able to "remix" as in using the original elements would be from Ghosts, The Slip, & Hesitation Marks.

If I had to guess they're 3 remixes of HM tracks though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was indeed talking about that speaking arrangement. Sorry for the confusion, I was really tired and border line incoherent when I typed that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broevol View Post
    The chances of that are slim to none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The rework to me seemed a little dark....maybe it is just for the tour..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Its a really good version of sanctified, better than the original, but I find myself missing that quick industrial stab noise in the original during the chorus after each line. If they kept that in, IMHO, it would be even better than it is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Its a really good version of sanctified, better than the original, but I find myself missing that quick industrial stab noise in the original during the chorus after each line. If they kept that in, IMHO, it would be even better than it is.
    Yeah, as sparse as the original arrangement is the reverb on Trent's voice is a bit much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very excited about the album. Not worried about the live shows spoiling the fun as there's usually some degree of variation between live and studio versions.
    Obsessed with Copy of A and the new twists on old favorites in the live sets.
    I love that CBH is like a brief history of NIN. There's Closer-esque guitar at the end, a bassline reminiscent of Into the Void, Trent's frequently used phrases 101, marimba?, Echoplexish guitar solo in the middle....
    The other songs sound great too. Thought they were going to bust out into West Side Story formation when they played Disappointed ;P
    Very excited for the return of strings.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Not worried about the live shows spoiling the fun as there's usually some degree of variation between live and studio versions.
    Not trying to ruin it for you (as you seem well prepared for the consequences), but, those exact variations you speak of are usually the reasons that can spoil the first studio listen, as they might lack your favorite elements from the live version. An analogy might be to imagine online dating someone and getting a bunch of great photos before the date, and then being disappointed by the real deal, no matter how cute the person might be. It's not the end of the world I know, and it might even be a little silly. But for me the first listen of an album is such a precious thing that I'll go thirsty and starve myself from spoilers until the thing gets released... in any way and in full clarity.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    While I've heard everything from the new album that's been played live, I'm swearing off all of it until the leak (including CBH). I will however listen to any new new songs performed from here on out, at least a few times, same treatment as the others. ;0) I can't stop me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've watched both streams a few times and I don't think it's spoiling anything. While I know where @hobochic is coming from, I think this won't be a problem. Once the album comes out I'll be listening to it non-stop, so even if some parts are different on the album, I'll get used to the album version rather quickly. Also, it's not like we're listening to a leak that we're not meant to hear yet. If Trent didn't want us to hear the new stuff, he wouldn't play it live or not allow live streams.

The hesitation mark has been made. But hey, everyone's different. Maybe there's even people out there who haven't listened to CBH yet because they don't want to spoil any song before hearing the full album, who knows. All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.
    Believe me, I wish I was enjoying the new material right now, and probably would have if I hadn't been on vacation with limited internet access from a hotel lobby for the last three weeks. I'm now back to reality and don't feel the pressure to listen to the new tracks that much for the reasons I explained before, I don't really care if Trent intends the music to be heard live before or not, the first album experience is my own. I'm loving the wait with plenty of other new music. September will get me back on track with NIN, until then, enjoy the new material!

/Envious Bastard XOXO

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Absolutely, if you can hold off, do it...as much as possible. I just can't. I'm kinda envious of those who can. Kinda not. It's alright...because the music so far surpasses "alright" completely.

Like it was said (as I can relate)--once the album is out (formally or leaked), the rotation and intensive listening that will go down will probably be immense, for everybody who's a fan... How you were exposed to it, in pieces so far in my case--all that will eventually wash aside, pretty much.

Again, though, nothing is like a pure first listen. I couldn't deny that.

Talking this much does me bad...like I wanna break my further abstaining rule already. Shit...
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    It's crazy to think but the last Nine Inch Nails release I had no idea of what I was going to expect before hand, meaning I hadn't previously heard a leaked copy, was probably And All That Could Have Been in 2002...and these were already songs I was familiar with.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    When it finally leaks, I'm going to have to NOT come here for like a week, so I can build my own untwined opinions before hearing everyone else explain why "Everything" or "Black Noise" is the dumbest thing they've ever heard.

When Radiohead's "King of Limbs" came out, I went into full-on media blackout mode for a week, 'til I'd given it 20+ listens on my own, so no one's opinion would override my own.
    We are pattern building machines. The first time I listened to Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is shortly after I'd been diagnosed with cancer (and before they'd operated and discovered the extent of it). For me, "Videotape" is the most depressing song ever written. I can't hear it without all of those feelings from that first listen intertwined.