Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack White/Third Man

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Pressing error on lp, stock recalled from my local shop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    new tour dates announced for november (including the o2 arena, LOL)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Pressing error on lp, stock recalled from my local shop
    That's weird, lots of people have gotten their Vault packages & there hasn't been any mention of consistent defects on the LP, just a couple skips here & there. Ostensibly the regular version is pressed from the same plates, but maybe not.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StopRemembering View Post
    That's weird, lots of people have gotten their Vault packages & there hasn't been any mention of consistent defects on the LP, just a couple skips here & there. Ostensibly the regular version is pressed from the same plates, but maybe not.
    Yeah, only one shop in Newcastle have said this to me, hmv had it in stock. Maybe they got a bad batch, maybe nobody else had clocked to a pressing error yet.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    I really feel like "Rockstars" like Jack White are partially responsible for the current sad state Rock music is in as well as assisting in the pusifaction of our youth! He dresses like a douche, has hair like a douche, tries to dance like a douche, writes douche lyrics, delivers vocals like a douche, puts out songs with ICP like a douche, makes the resurgence of vinyl douchey (which is sad because I love vinyl just not all of his douchey gimmicks), plays guitar like he is some guitar god but he isn't (he is just a douche-God), he no longer plays in that one band he was in that was good like a douche and plenty of other douche things. I really do like the White Stripes but he has freaking ran being a douche into the ground. I gave a couple new songs a listen but rather than enjoyment all I experienced was ear douchery. OMG Jack, you are so retro! RETRO DOUCHE THAT IS!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    I really feel like "Rockstars" like Jack White are partially responsible for the current sad state Rock music is in as well as assisting in the pusifaction of our youth! He dresses like a douche, has hair like a douche, tries to dance like a douche, writes douche lyrics, delivers vocals like a douche, puts out songs with ICP like a douche, makes the resurgence of vinyl douchey (which is sad because I love vinyl just not all of his douchey gimmicks), plays guitar like he is some guitar god but he isn't (he is just a douche-God), he no longer plays in that one band he was in that was good like a douche and plenty of other douche things. I really do like the White Stripes but he has freaking ran being a douche into the ground. I gave a couple new songs a listen but rather than enjoyment all I experienced was ear douchery. OMG Jack, you are so retro! RETRO DOUCHE THAT IS!!!
    I believe the words you are looking for are: "I don't care for Jack White, or his music." Probably would have saved your fingers, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Yeah, only one shop in Newcastle have said this to me, hmv had it in stock. Maybe they got a bad batch, maybe nobody else had clocked to a pressing error yet.
    Yeah it's looking like a bad batch, there are a couple vinyl rips out there, one of which has some problems, the other is fine. Glad it isn't the whole run, I know a couple people who are picking up the LP tomorrow.

Between this & the various problems there have been with many of the Vault releases I'm starting to wonder why Jack doesn't cut ties with URP & open his own pressing plant. He certainly has the money for it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Finally am listening to this, and I don't know guys, I think this one's slightly better than Blunderbuss. There's some true bangers on this LP.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    So, he announced a few summer dates. KANSAS CITY BEING THE FIRST ONE. I'm so there.

Jack is pleased to announce new Summer & Fall North American tour dates. Visit http://jackwhiteiii.com/ for more information, ticket links, and Vault pre-sale and general on-sale dates and times.

Tomorrow, June 11th, Jack will stop by to chat with good friend Conan O’Brien and perform on his show Conan O'Brien Presents: Team Coco on TBS at 11pm ET/PT.

August 18: Midland Theatre in Kansas City, MO
    August 20: Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO
    August 23: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, CA
    August 25: Paramount Theatre in Seattle, WA
    August 26: Paramount Theater in Seattle, WA
    August 28: Deer Lake Park in Vancouver, BC
    September 14: Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD
    September 17: The Bleacher Theater at Fenway Park in Boston, MA

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh lawd gonna have to hit up that August show methinks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In lieu of a proper NY stop I'm gonna be making the trek to the Merriweather. Kinda always wanted to catch a show there anyways, I've heard nothing but nice things about that venue.

BTW NPR is streaming video from the album release show at The Fonda in LA tonight at 9:45PM PST/12:45AM EST. Based on the audio stream from Governor's Ball on Saturday it's gonna be a crazy show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Damn, a pair of tickets gonna set me back $160!!! Sonofabitch. Worth it though, and in the sickest venue.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Damn, a pair of tickets gonna set me back $160!!! Sonofabitch. Worth it though, and in the sickest venue.
    Yeah dude, these are gonna be pricey, AND I found out that there's no chance of me having the 18th OR the 19th off, so I'm gonna be working full 11-hour shifts on either side of that show. Worth it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, for a show like this $160 ain't jack lol. I'm perhaps just comparing it to the last White Stripes show I went to at the same venue that was 2/3 of the price lol!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/event/music/31966...ite-in-concert

NPR will be streaming his show live in a couple of hours if anyone's interested.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm glad "Lazaretto" is out, but is it too much to ask for the new "Dead Weather" album he promised long time ago?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dead Weather is coming in 2015, Jack had Lazaretto to put out & the Kills have a new record coming out (hopefully not too far off) so those projects have to be taken care of first. The next Vault package is probably gonna have another DW 7" in it, it's been a while since the first one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Is the Vault worth it? I've been considering it a little more since that special Vault edition of Lazaretto was announced, and I'm curious about the prices of whatever's in the store. I might just take the bait on the next Vault package and see how I feel about it.

Also, obligatory statement about loving The Dead Weather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The worthwhileness of a platinum Vault sub (the $60/quarter one) varies based on the package content. There have been some truly gorgeous packages (the White Stripes' first & last shows & the Raconteurs Live in London are my favourites) but there have been a few that were kind of crap too (like the Greenhornes EP which was only about 20 minutes long, and the package before the Lazaretto one which was just repressings of the 4 singles from Elephant with nice sleeves & a nice box, no new material). The next package should be announced in early July so you might want to wait until then to sign up.
    If you're mainly interested in the Novelty shop & ticket presales you might want get a gold sub ($20/quarter). Getting concert tickets via the Vault is awesome because a) they're usually cheaper than the general sales and b) there is an early entry drawing for almost every show, so you have a chance of getting in 10 minutes before everyone else to hit the merch table and stake out your place on the rail. The merch prices in the Novelty shop are pretty reasonable, on average leftover Vault 7"s go for $15, LPs go for $30, and shirts go for $15. Vault items are stocked at random though so there's no knowing what will be available when, and popular items sell out really fast. Leftover Rolling Record Store merch also gets posted from time to time and they have Vault member only merch too, which tends to be slightly more expensive than the actual package leftovers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StopRemembering View Post
    The worthwhileness of a platinum Vault sub (the $60/quarter one) varies based on the package content. There have been some truly gorgeous packages (the White Stripes' first & last shows & the Raconteurs Live in London are my favourites) but there have been a few that were kind of crap too (like the Greenhornes EP which was only about 20 minutes long, and the package before the Lazaretto one which was just repressings of the 4 singles from Elephant with nice sleeves & a nice box, no new material). The next package should be announced in early July so you might want to wait until then to sign up.
    If you're mainly interested in the Novelty shop & ticket presales you might want get a gold sub ($20/quarter). Getting concert tickets via the Vault is awesome because a) they're usually cheaper than the general sales and b) there is an early entry drawing for almost every show, so you have a chance of getting in 10 minutes before everyone else to hit the merch table and stake out your place on the rail. The merch prices in the Novelty shop are pretty reasonable, on average leftover Vault 7"s go for $15, LPs go for $30, and shirts go for $15. Vault items are stocked at random though so there's no knowing what will be available when, and popular items sell out really fast. Leftover Rolling Record Store merch also gets posted from time to time and they have Vault member only merch too, which tends to be slightly more expensive than the actual package leftovers.
    Yeah, I was thinking I'd wait until the next announcement, but for $60, getting a bundle of things (whether I think they're amazing or kinda meh) sound like a good deal, when it also includes early tickets, that online store, all that goodness. I make enough that $60 four times a year isn't too strenuous on my wallet, so I may end up just buckling down and signing up. The only detail I was unsure about was the online store, haha. I just wanted to know if it was fairly-priced stuff or if it was overpriced junk. But that answer helps! I'll probably sign up when the next package gets announced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So I'm really into 'Would You Fight For my Love?' But I'm still not feeling the rest of it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Scored tickets to the Kansas City show in a presale yesterday, but it seems like I got l lucky. Lots of people I know who tried for tickets weren't so lucky and all say it was pretty much sold out before it ever went online.

Pretty excited though. I caught his set at Lollapalooza 2012 and it was fantastic. It'll be nice to see it in such a small setting now.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Got mine too! I think I might be more excited to see JW this summer than I am for NIN. How big is the venue?

Loved the new album. I'd agree with Richardp that it is slightly better than Blunderbuss. To me, Blunderbuss seemed like a White Stripes album while Lazaretto feels different.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Scored tickets to the Kansas City show in a presale yesterday, but it seems like I got l lucky. Lots of people I know who tried for tickets weren't so lucky and all say it was pretty much sold out before it ever went online.

Pretty excited though. I caught his set at Lollapalooza 2012 and it was fantastic. It'll be nice to see it in such a small setting now.
    Yeah, that shit was crazy. I didn't have a chance. I was kinda expecting to just get on and get tickets, not deal with that "waiting room" system. People must've been "in line" for an hour or more before they even went up. They were all sold out by 10:15, and probably way before that. :\

/butthurt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That sucks, it's always a scramble to get tickets to see Jack but that seems worse than usual. Keep an eye out though, they've been releasing small batches of tickets the day before or day of for most of the shows this tour via both the Vault & Ticketmaster, you might get lucky.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Yeah, that shit was crazy. I didn't have a chance. I was kinda expecting to just get on and get tickets, not deal with that "waiting room" system. People must've been "in line" for an hour or more before they even went up. They were all sold out by 10:15, and probably way before that. :\

/butthurt
    Yep, I had a friend who got in the waiting room half an hour before it went on sale and she said that as soon as the tickets went live all sections were strikes out already with "No Tickets Available". She stayed in the room for an additional hour waiting for possible tickets to open back up and it never happened. This is what happens when a dude who could easily perform at Sprint Center keeps some dignity and still chooses small theaters.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Or a giant, beautiful outdoor venue in the middle of a B.C. summer that isn't even half sold out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Or a giant, beautiful outdoor venue in the middle of a B.C. summer that isn't even half sold out.
    or the o2 in london

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Better late than never...here's my review of Lazaretto: http://blog.ourvinyl.tv/jack-whites-...-album-review/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So some odd stuff's afoot in the Vault. This fake retro video about surgical face masks was posted there yesterday under the heading "WHAT'S JACK WHITE WATCHING?":

In the description on its YouTube page there's a link to a website with some Jack Whiteish imagery & subtle Lazaretto references where you can fill out a survey & enter your email address for "FREE CONTAGIOUS & INFECTIOUS DISEASE TESTING". There's also a phone number with a London area code at the bottom of the page but no one's gotten a response from either that or the email yet. The JW/TMR fan camp doesn't seem to have any idea what to make of it, but it looks to me like it could be the beginnings of a weird little ARG. I hope there's more to it than this, the scant groundwork they've laid could build up to something interesting.