Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond_J View Post
    the Lost Highway soundtrack was also reissued last year ,just
    earlier than all the awesome new "Definitive Editions". I would love to hear the new remastered audio but it seems the only
    way to acquire it was by purchasing the LP set which of course is sold out. Anyone know of any alternative methods to get the
    audio?
    Both Lost Highway and the Natural Born Killers re-presses are not remastered in any way - it's the exact same audio as the original releases, just repressed so that more people can get their hands on the vinyl if they want. The digital versions that you get via ordering at nin.com are literally rips from the CD versions, in fact. So, plenty of ways to acquire the audio, if you don't already have the originals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    TReznor with an official opinion on Pitchfork's review

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPJwpAWjtth/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    *Quietly purchases Pretty Hate Machine remaster LP off Discogs before demand starts surging*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First of all, thanks for the reply, really. .. the nin.com store states in its description that the Lost Highway
    vinyl is a 2016 remaster, which is clearly incorrect, because you and Discogs.com both say it's just a repress.
    I, like a lot of people I'm sure, have been a fan of that soundtrack album for YEARS ,it's nearly 20 years old
    so the thought of it being remastered didn't seem so far-fetched. Thanks again though for saving me from searching for
    something that doesn't exist. . .

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Remaster, You Don't

Song: No, You Don't
    Blue: TF 1999 CD
    Yellow: TF 2017 DE
    slight wavy white line in between: the difference, exaggerated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    *Quietly purchases Pretty Hate Machine remaster LP off Discogs before demand starts surging*
    Honestly, Amazon still has it in stock. I was thinking of picking one up since the copy I had gotten from Discogs was in pretty poor shape.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Honestly, Amazon still has it in stock. I was thinking of picking one up since the copy I had gotten from Discogs was in pretty poor shape.
    We're sure? I mean, my discogs order is done already and shipping to me, but...I had tried Amazon first, but when I hit the Vinyl tab, the cover art changes to the original LP art, which made me concerned that they seem to have consolidated the 2010 remastered CD and the record label reissue of the original LP under one product entry.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I forgot to include the link

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    We're sure? I mean, my discogs order is done already and shipping to me, but...I had tried Amazon first, but when I hit the Vinyl tab, the cover art changes to the original LP art, which made me concerned that they seem to have consolidated the 2010 remastered CD and the record label reissue of the original LP under one product entry.
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out, too. This product entry has the original artwork but says Bicycle and 2011 in the description. Moreover, the ASIN doesn't sync up with either release.

The one saving grace is that Amazon is very good about refunding your order if you don't get what you were expecting, so there's not much risk in just getting it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    I forgot to include the link
    Huh. And then clicking the audio CD tab on THAT link shows an old CD.

Amazon done fucked up lol

Well, good to know if there's problems with mine. Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond_J View Post
    First of all, thanks for the reply, really. .. the nin.com store states in its description that the Lost Highway
    vinyl is a 2016 remaster, which is clearly incorrect, because you and Discogs.com both say it's just a repress.
    I suppose it's possible there are some subtle differences on the vinyl itself; isn't there often a separate master used for vinyl pressing, to account for some of the sonic qualities of how vinyl does its thing? At any rate, we do know for sure that the digital files from nin.com are literally just the original CD versions, so you don't have to worry about missing out on that.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I notice, several 'sold out' vinyl is for sale again. Good luck!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was curious if anyone recently picked up vinyl copies of the older releases, (PHM Remaster, Hesitation Marks, Ghosts or Gone Girl) -- If so, what type of digital downloads did you receive with them? I'm trying to figure out what the high-res downloads that they've made available with the store revamp, and if they've been updated from the files from when the albums were initially released?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I notice, several 'sold out' vinyl is for sale again. Good luck!
    Thanks for the notice! Picked up my Lost Highway vinyl.

A couple of tagging errors on the FLAC rips which came with that, btw - First off a missing end paren on Bowie's I'm Deranged (edit), and secondly (and far more amusingly), this is the apparent debut of the previously-unheard TR track Videophones; Questions. That error is in the filename as well!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Videophones; Questions!
    iPhone 8 confirmed!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracksfade View Post
    I was curious if anyone recently picked up vinyl copies of the older releases, (PHM Remaster, Hesitation Marks, Ghosts or Gone Girl) -- If so, what type of digital downloads did you receive with them? I'm trying to figure out what the high-res downloads that they've made available with the store revamp, and if they've been updated from the files from when the albums were initially released?
    They are previous releases. Downloads are FLAC CD rips.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    They are previous releases. Downloads are FLAC CD rips.
    I bought the PHM release advertised as HIRES digital thinking it was 24/96. I already own the 2010 vinyl and CD so I asked to cancel and get a refund but haven't heard back yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    I bought the PHM release advertised as HIRES digital thinking it was 24/96. I already own the 2010 vinyl and CD so I asked to cancel and get a refund but haven't heard back yet.
    I bought it again thinking the same thing too. Oh well, can't hurt to have a back up copy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry if this had been asked already, but is there somewhere to hear the comparisons between the current releases and the 2017 remastered versions? I picked up The Fragile since it was the first offially released digital of the vinyl version, but trying to see if it is worth it for the others. I'm not too interested in the vinyl, but if the improvements are noticeable it would be worth it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Sorry if this had been asked already, but is there somewhere to hear the comparisons between the current releases and the 2017 remastered versions? I picked up The Fragile since it was the first offially released digital of the vinyl version, but trying to see if it is worth it for the others. I'm not too interested in the vinyl, but if the improvements are noticeable it would be worth it.
    Depends on what you want. They have been re-equalized, they're louder (which is a blessing for an album such as Broken) without any clipping, but on the other hand some details become buried in the background.
    They sound great, especially Broken which had remained untouched since 92, but if you're te kind of fan that has become enamoured with the tiniest sounds and layers, they might disappoint a bit.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    One clear advantage the new digital remasters have is that all the tracks are indexed correctly (ie. when started from the beginning, they will play from the very top of the song as opposed to starting before or after the downbeat), which is useful for playlists/shuffle mode/skipping around. Presumably, the new vinyl will use these index points as well, instead of adding fade-ups or cutting out segues between tracks where there's a break at the end of a side. Personally, I'm in favour of this standardization.

But they really are pushed to the limit for overall volume; I found that on some tracks this sounded good, but on others it resulted in a few moments of unpleasant harshness. The overall tonality/equalization of frequencies is quite different for The Downward Spiral, particularly compared to the 10th Anniversary remaster from 2004. In this respect it is more similar to a rip I have from the original UK vinyl pressing from 1994, but with some extra "crunchiness" added from maximizing the loudness (even to the point of hard sibillance on the bridge vocal in "Ruiner").

I may have to do a comprehensive comparison of every version after the new vinyl is out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I picked up TDS today, my budget having recovered somewhat after the initial NTAE/Deviations 1/Fragile onslaught. I'm noticing a looooot of stuff for which I'd probably be better served typing as I listened; hi-hats during the Piggy drum breakdown being more noticeable, the sounds in the background during the opening Closer heart/drum beat seeming much quieter than on the 10th ann. edition, more bass drum during Heresy...it's definitely a different experience and does indeed veer towards the loud side of things, but not in a painfully headachey way. I can't wait to get a few more listens in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I have a question, that has probably already been asked but at 23 pages fuck it I'll ask again. I have been buying the vinyls a little at a time basically I buy a couple every paycheck. I have noticed some get sold out and then they are available again. I have already bought NTAE in both versions, Deviations 1, The Fragile, Lost Highway, and Natural Born Killers. I really want Gone Girl and The Social Network, does anybody know if they will be made available again. BTW Lost Highway and Natural Born Killers already showed up and I didn't even get a shipping notice.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I really want Gone Girl and The Social Network, does anybody know if they will be made available again.
    TSN vinyl was never available. It's a holdover from the old shop, like Ghosts deluxe.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I really want Gone Girl and The Social Network, does anybody know if they will be made available again.
    Unless you are hellbent on buying everything from the NIN store, you can get the GG vinyl from Importcds for about $23 and have it by the middle of next week..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...6243597&sr=1-1

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Well looky looky what I found @botley @Jon @Leviathant @seasonsinthesky

(no butthurt intended, @Pbgut , I'm just suggesting you give the DE another chance is all...)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Well looky looky what I found @botley @Jon @Leviathant @seasonsinthesky

(no butthurt intended, @Pbgut , I'm just suggesting you give the DE another chance is all...)

Mr. Self Destruct was like that too wasn't it? Had a weird looking waveform in the original and 2004 remasters but has a more standard looking one in the re-releases? I haven't got a copy of the old versions on my computer to check right now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I know nothing about audio wave forms or anything so forgive me if I'm way, way off here. But aren't those sections of the remaster what they call a brickwall? And isn't that bad? I was under the impression that it's better to look like the top waveform than the bottom one.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I know nothing about audio wave forms or anything so forgive me if I'm way, way off here. But aren't those sections of the remaster what they call a brickwall? And isn't that bad? I was under the impression that it's better to look like the top waveform than the bottom one.
    Although these masters are "brickwalled", they sound very good. That's why many of us have said you can't judge the sound of these just by the look of it (the waveform).

As far as what was linked/fixed, essentially the top-end of the waveform should match the bottom of the waveform which it does not. I have no clue what happened, but the lower frequencies ended up "overpowering" the high end in the original mix.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    That's on every NIN release, except the very early PHM-era CDs... it's only bad if it's not supposed to be there, like if an old analogue recording was originally released with lots of dynamics that were later ruined by a mastering engineer applying the 'brickwall' limiting to make it compete with the loudness of modern music. Some argue that the remastered Pretty Hate Machine CD suffered from this effect; I say it was simply brought into line with the rest of the NIN catalogue. The fact is, most modern pop/rock artists (including NIN) mix their tracks that way now and approve it, which is not inherently a Bad Thing.

What @wizfan is pointing out is that the latter part of "10 Miles High" (and, as @Disassociative points out, the previous versions of "Mr Self Destruct") had a waveform that was offset from the remainder of the track, in its originally mastered form. Visually, it appears off-centre compared to the stuff before and after it, and while this leaves lots of space at the top, the bottom of the waveform is still hitting the peak of the window. Without getting too technical about it, this actually reduces the available dynamic range (think of a sheet of paper with a simple X-Y graph drawn on it; if you draw the axes of the graph even slightly off from the centre of the paper you can only go so far in one direction, so the range of your graph becomes more limited than if you had started in the middle). In the Definitive remaster, they were able to make that section of the song significantly louder by correcting the offset.
    Last edited by botley; 02-08-2017 at 09:55 AM.