Page 135 of 191 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'm a casual fan of The Killers, actually surprised there isn't a thread on them here (or maybe there is and I'm lazy). Never took them too seriously but do like there '80s infused pop-rock with a dab of electronica. Saw them at Lolla in 2009 and they put on a great show. "Human" is awesome live, especially as an opener.

Not gay, but Brandon Flowers is a good looking dude.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I just can't get into Pvris. I've tried to listen to them several times and they just don't do anything for me. Some of my friends rave about them and they are always on tour with a band i like...but they're just...meh to me.
    They're good but the latest album isn't doing shit for me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I used to love Bloc Party but I came to the realisation the other day that it's more that they occasionally write great songs and then the rest is dross.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I used to love Bloc Party but I came to the realisation the other day that it's more that they occasionally write great songs and then the rest is dross.
    Everything went to crap after "Silent Alarm"
    "A weekend in the city" is ok, "intimacy" is "so-so" and the others are just overkill

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers is a genius song. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Not sure what the general concencus here is, but The Killers are a decent band IMHO.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    I think "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers is a genius song. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But do they have another one which is as good or close?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    But do they have another one which is as good or close?
    Human, When We Were Young, Read My Mind are great radio tunes of theirs- just for starters.

Mr. Brightside is definitely the first song of theirs that caught my attention though.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    “Smile Like You Mean It” is the only Killers song I like.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Everything went to crap after "Silent Alarm"
    "A weekend in the city" is ok, "intimacy" is "so-so" and the others are just overkill
    For me, A Weekend in the City is BY FAR the best album they put out (even though the drum sound sucks throughout). The last half of that album is just pure queer sadness, which is what Kele should have gone for after. Intimacy was just dull, except for Ion Square and Mercury.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Human, When We Were Young, Read My Mind are great radio tunes of theirs- just for starters.

Mr. Brightside is definitely the first song of theirs that caught my attention though.
    I love this song.

Most of that album has little synth and electronics too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kid A has a lot of songs I skip.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The best Radiohead album is a combination of Kid A and Amnesiac.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    For me, A Weekend in the City is BY FAR the best album they put out (even though the drum sound sucks throughout). The last half of that album is just pure queer sadness, which is what Kele should have gone for after. Intimacy was just dull, except for Ion Square and Mercury.
    I love "The Prayer", it even sounds like Saul Williams to me; i gotta give another listen to "A weekend...", ever since it came out i haven't touched the record, but i remember liking it when it came out (but not as much as "Silent Alarm")

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the killers suck.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    LCD Soundsystem seems to me like some kind of piece of corporate performance art, to see how far you can get by being completely devoid of substance or style. There's nothing there, just a bunch of hype and hot air. It's Talking Heads art-rock minus the art and the rock. It's middle aged, middle class nihilism turned inwards, finding inside its hollow core an IKEA catalogue instead of a soul.
    I know this is old but ... I fucking love LCD Soundsystem, especially the first album but I loved the next two, too. Saw them live three times, some of the best live shows I’ve ever seen. James is a sarcastic and hilarious smart-ass. Not loving the new album, but that’s what usually happens.

Reznor’s pre-show playlists during the With Teeth tour included a few LCD Soundsystem songs, and he spun a few while playing DJ on a radio show during that period.

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...icle.php?id=88

This song is hilarious:

Last edited by allegro; 10-24-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Kid A has a lot of songs I skip.
    I skip all of them.

\m/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not a Tori Amos fan and I actually do not get her appeal whatsoever. I listened to a few albums in the past and found it a boring chore. I popped a few on today for the hell of it....ugh. Hasn't changed.
    That’s because she (arguably) only has two great albums (the first two) and a handful of great songs (Bouncing Off Clouds being top tier).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    several bands that i normally adore put out albums this year that i don't like, and it's really disappointing.

mogwai, qotsa, godspeed you black emperor, liars, marilyn manson.

i'm glad i have a wide range of tastes in music (and that other bands i like have put out great stuff recently) because these are all bands i've loved for almost 20 years.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    the Ulver discography will keep you busy

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    several bands that i normally adore put out albums this year that i don't like, and it's really disappointing.

mogwai, qotsa, godspeed you black emperor, liars, marilyn manson.

i'm glad i have a wide range of tastes in music (and that other bands i like have put out great stuff recently) because these are all bands i've loved for almost 20 years.
    There may be more proper places to put this, but the NIN EP’s can be put in there for me as well. Just not digging the Atticus Reznor era. Outside of a song here and there it all seems interchangeable from soundtrack work to HTDA to NIN (if vocals were being taken out).

Really bummed actually, think my NIN fandom has peaked long ago since being a big fan starting in ~1991. :/

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I also haven't yet been able to afford the Vietnam War score and am split on whether to listen first or actually listen to it in the context of the documentary. I'm open to suggestions.
    I think it works just fine without the documentary. In it it's framed within a lot of other music anyway (be it Ghosts or pop songs from that era). I think the score is strong enough to evoke one's own images of (the) war. And that might even be a more powerful experience.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure how "controversial" this is: There is Frank, and then there is everyone else. Frank Sinatra is the greatest singer ever, period. There will never be anyone who comes close.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ the Chairman certainly was an original, innovative phrasing, an original, there will never be anyone like him again.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-was-to...er-says-680283

My I-guess-somewhat-controversial comment:

If you don't like Jazz, I don't like you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Not sure how "controversial" this is: There is Frank, and then there is everyone else. Frank Sinatra is the greatest singer ever, period. There will never be anyone who comes close.
    LOL...I mean, even as subjective as your statement is (much more this thread), I don't think you're going to get lambasted with objection here.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    . double post.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^^ the Chairman certainly was an original, innovative phrasing, an original, there will never be anyone like him again.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-was-to...er-says-680283

My I-guess-somewhat-controversial comment:

If you don't like Jazz, I don't like you.

How awesome would Frank Sinatra Sings the Nine inch Nails Soundbook have been? Frank would have recorded a killer cover of "Something I Can Never Have."

"Everywhere I go, Jack, you're all I see."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    BTW, the live version is incredible. He sings like he is telling a story we've all been through, some more times than others:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    LOL...I mean, even as subjective as your statement is (much more this thread), I don't think you're going to get lambasted with objection here.
    I honestly think some hardcore NIN fans would dig Frank Sinatra. In some ways, Trent and Frank really do speak the same language--convey the same message, intensity and bare their souls and wear their heart on their sleeve. And the big band swing of Nelson Riddle is just as intense as anything from NIN.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh, man, this just kills me with its awesomeness (admission: I grew up with Frank's music, my parents were huge fans), Frank's story is just awesome: