32 Post(s)
    Terriers on Netflix *sniff*

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Southland

on demand - ok 10 characters

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    In the Land of Blood and Honey--hmmm still processing this movie and its ambivalent ending. While the movie does spotlight the systematic use of rape in the Bosnian war, it's only a small focus of the movie. :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Stayed in on a Saturday night so I decided to watch Drive for the first time since my brother picked it up on Blu-Ray earlier this week and loved it! I thought It was a very good film and loved the music in it. Good stuff!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Snowtown.

Bleak. Brutal. Worth watching. I think one of the most uncomfortable things is the way it involves the viewer. 'What would you do?'.
    Last edited by YKWYA; 02-05-2012 at 01:01 PM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just watched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. That was a pretty damn good pilot, I have to say. Definitely interested in finding out where this goes. It had a sort of Mad Men meets Sopranos vibe. Scorsese directing definitely didn't hurt.

And Omar was in it!!! For, like, two seconds. WTF. I almost wanted to scream at Nucky, "Omar's coming! Run!" Heh.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, that first Boardwalk Empire episode was some serious shit. I really dig the show, Buscemi is flawless in it. Looking forward to watch the second season

btw, ruiner, how did you like The Wire? have you finished it yet?

edit: Oh just read your post in the previous page nevermind....well, 4th and 5th season really kicked ass. I really don't quite remember what season 3 was about...pretty much each season has new characters and a theme attached to it, like in 2nd season the action takes place in the docks, which i didn't like much, so i was glad they got back to the baltimore streets in the 3rd. Was amsterdam in season 3?
    Last edited by Sallos; 02-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Boardwalk's first season is a bit above the second IMHO, since the season's story is more coherent and wraps up nicely at the end. Season 2 is great nevertheless, but a bit all over the place with its story arcs. But it managed to set up a more than interesting mood for the third season. I can't come soon enough:Spoiler: From what I've read it will concentrate more on Capone and a new guy and upcoming mobster that Nucky has to deal with will be introduced.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    La Casa Muda / The Silent House - almost a really good horror film.... almost. Actually, half of it is an excellent film. The first half. It progresses into a plot resolution that frankly doesn't make sense at all. It's not that "I'm not getting the ending," no, it literally doesn't make sense. It's a shame really since it could have been an excellent film.

Made in Uruguay for about $6,000 USD. 78 of the 89mins were presented as a single take. I've read it did have cleverly placed edits, but it came across as one continuous shot very well. An American remake w/ Elizabeth Olsen is set for release this year. I had decent hopes for it since she was great in Martha Marcy May Marlene and I thought the plot problems could be fixed, but the trailer looks too slick and polished and seems to lose the grittiness of the original. Oh well.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    edit: Oh just read your post in the previous page nevermind....well, 4th and 5th season really kicked ass. I really don't quite remember what season 3 was about...pretty much each season has new characters and a theme attached to it, like in 2nd season the action takes place in the docks, which i didn't like much, so i was glad they got back to the baltimore streets in the 3rd. Was amsterdam in season 3?
    Yeah, that was season three.

I am enjoying the show, I don't want to give the impression that I don't like it. I just don't think it's as good as everyone makes it out to be. But it's enjoyable. The third season wasn't quite as good as the first two seasons, but it hasn't discouraged me from watching the last two. I will say that season three did have a really good ending.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Watching an ancient episode of Whose Line Is it Anyway, and Greg Proops is wearing a NIN t-shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YKWYA View Post
    Snowtown.

Bleak. Brutal. Worth watching. I think one of the most uncomfortable things is the way it involves the viewer. 'What would you do?'.
    I loved Snowtown. I think its the mixture of high camp and pure melodrama that make it so harrowing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ thank you to you both. Hadn't heard of this one but it's now on my list to watch.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yeah, that was season three.

I am enjoying the show, I don't want to give the impression that I don't like it. I just don't think it's as good as everyone makes it out to be. But it's enjoyable. The third season wasn't quite as good as the first two seasons, but it hasn't discouraged me from watching the last two. I will say that season three did have a really good ending.
    once you're done with the whole show, you'll be like, shiiiiiiieeeeet!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

rewatched Melancholia last night and while it's still not a "top film of the year" for me, fuck I love that first 8 mins. (The above pic is a perfect reason.) So beautiful and meant so much to the film the second time around. Von Trier owes a shit-ton of credit to Wagner on this film.

I also put up with Part 1 much more on the second viweing, although the camerawork overall wasn't any less annoying (bits of Dogme 95 bullshit creeps into everything he does.) That said, I still feel like the movie was lacking something -- emotion being the most obvious. Von Trier was upset that he made such a "polished" film, well I'd be happy to tell him it wasn't polished. Very good at times, but very rough at others.

And while I fucking HAAAATE her character, I still think Dunst should have gotten more recognition for her work in this... and I can't stand Dunst or her fucking character. Gainsbourg too, she was great.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Fuck this movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm on Season 5 of The West Wing, i.e. after Sorkin. Is there any point continuing to watch?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Season 3 of Hung

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just finished what seems to be the final episode of Todd Margaret. Bummer. Such an amazing show.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Watching an ancient episode of Whose Line Is it Anyway, and Greg Proops is wearing a NIN t-shirt
    There was a clip of Robert Patrick getting his head digitally scanned in the special features for Terminator 2. He was wearing a NIN shirt.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finished rewatching The Shield again, love that show.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I'm waiting for it to go on sale super cheap again, probably around Thanksgiving, and I'm going to snatch up the whole series. Then I'll re-watch it (only watched it once). It cannot be overstated just how absolutely amazing that series is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Descendants. A really well written humble indie movie that DID NOT need a Clooney and an overly hot overacting daughter. Rather surprised at the level of recognition this movie is getting.

I Saw The Devil. I've probably seen a dozen of those revenge Korean flicks, and would have thought that I'll get it by now. Wrong! I've seen non-revenge Korean flicks where the people speak like adults and whatever is happening makes sense. Not the case with the revenge flicks. It's like everyone is retarded, has the vocabulary of an 8 year old, and the plot twists make no sense! But all this seems to be on purpose, because the production values were top notch. Guess I keep watching these in hopes that something will come close to the (Japanese) thriller Cure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cure_(film))

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ really want to see I Saw the Devil, but many thanks for the heads-up.

Paranormal Activity 3 - well, what did I expect. Loved the first one (but went into it knowing NOTHING about it, hence the need to change my pants afterward.) 2nd one? Decent tie-in but changed the story a bit. 3nd one? Aside from a few good moments, kinda dumb. Too much "new" plot info that took away from the original story. Less is more with this type of film people, stop making sequels.

War Horse - best picture nominee my ass. It was a good movie... good... not great, certainly not "best." It was pretty (beautiful cinematography, pretty cool scene when hiding in the tall grass, last shot was awesome,) but the individual stories were totally lacking depth and emotion. The "important" people in the life of this horse (British officer, German boys, French girl) I could care less about. All emotion and sentimentality was contrived by John Williams' [rather cliché] sweeping score. Average-to-good film, nothing more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    I loved Snowtown. I think its the mixture of high camp and pure melodrama that make it so harrowing.
    this looks strikingly similar to Animal Kingdom, which i loved! on my list as well!

so i've been wondering, why can't we get these kind of high quality indie crime/social drama movies in the US? i've seen quite a few non-American movies (UK, Spain, Iceland, Australia, Denmark) with some great depth, and the closest to these kind of movies was Red State (which unfortunately kind of missed the depth train by trying too hard to be over the top. i still liked it though).

i know movies outside of the US are typically funded in part by the government, so there seems to be a lot more focus on artistry and social commentary.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Lost. I'm like a crack-addicted lab rat who keeps pressing the Next Episode button on Netflix.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Lost. I'm like a crack-addicted lab rat who keeps pressing the Next Episode button on Netflix.
    Yeah me too, also having same issue with Battlestar Galactica (Ron Moore)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watched the first season of Luther. Jesus fucking fuck, that is one brutal, intense show. Little sloppy in the writing department, but very intense acting. I'm still, however, constantly put off seeing fucking Stringer Bell talk with a bri-ish accent.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Just watched Woody Allen's Manhattan for the very first time... NYC never looked so beautiful.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Watched the first season of Luther. Jesus fucking fuck, that is one brutal, intense show. Little sloppy in the writing department, but very intense acting. I'm still, however, constantly put off seeing fucking Stringer Bell talk with a bri-ish accent.
    Heh...the first time I heard Idris Elba in an interview it kind of tripped me out.