Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drive

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Drive

Blu-Ray is coming January 31st. Best score of the year...so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked this movie, definitely buying it when it comes out. There's a great parody trailer on Funny or Die.
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a2c...-movie-trailer

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    IMHO best film of the year. Reminded me a little of No Country for Old Men in terms of tension, and surreal, OTT violence.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really liked this movie. Even the soundtrack, and im not a huge fan of that style.
    I found the violence very "peckinpahish".
    Movie bound to turn into a cult picture or classic in some years, has all the ingridients, cars, good music, style, hot girls, violence, and a simple passionate storyline.

What a waste that death of Christina Hendricks...some tits she has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Early this year I saw a scene from this movie where Ryan Gosling was the getaway driver for some thieves. Nothing special except that it is Ryan Gosling and the way he drove to get away was intriguing to me. Naturally, I was looking forward to this film being released so I could see the whole thing. I went in not knowing what to expect, and once I got it I was unsure of how I felt. After having time to think about it, I decided it was great, but how the film unfolded was somewhat surprising. After learning who made the movie, and what he had done before, it made sense. It seems like I was impressed by the camera work, but I was definitely impressed by the music, as it was fucking perfect. Cliff Martinez definitely has a new fan. It currently holds the second spot on my top ten list for the year.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The soundtrack is definitely among my favorite albums of the year while the film is in my top 5 of the year. Ryan Gosling and Albert Brooks are my respective picks for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I liked it, really liked it, but judging from the way people were talking about it before hand i was expecting a masterpiece like Leon -The Professional. Expected to feel how i felt when i saw that for the first time. with the mind bending camera angles and all that. stuff that had never been done before.
    I didnt understand the plot for this. But i still liked it, style over substance. which works in this case.
    I loved the soundtrack for this. The fuzzy guitar and synthesizer shit. I love Ryan and Carey dearly. But if this had a bit more money invested into it it could have been as good as Leon.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I made almost everyone I know go out and buy the blu-ray today. You're welcome, Refn.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What is that VHS box from?

I loved everything about this movie. To Ryan Goslings quiet and mysterious approach, to the random stomp your face in scenes that were so unexpected. The way it was shot and the score alone makes it even more enjoyable.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Pretty sure it's just fan-made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never knew the workprint had music from The Social Network as temp tracks. Is anyone getting this licensed Mondo poster tomorrow? I got it at a screening last night and it is even better in person.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    getting that poster when it went on sale was harder than getting NIN tickets in 2005. sigh... i'll be waiting for eBay to calm down.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I want to see this movie really badly... Maybe tonight I'll force myself to go home after work and watch it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I would've loved to have one, too...But alas, it sold out before I even knew it was available. I saw that a replica of the Driver's jacket is up for sale. Not sure if I'd ever pay a whopping $140 bucks for it, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Seeing this in the theater in Nov gave me goosebumps - the opening credits, the LA river scene w/ "A Real Hero," the scene w/ "Under Your Spell"..... fuck the music was so perfect. Lyrics, style, vibe... it's crazy they weren't written for the movie. I didn't think I'd recapture that feeling upon a second viewing, but it did again last night.

Absolutely my favorite of 2011. The silence of Gosling and Mulligan's scenes said so much more than pointless gushing over each other, so much more effective the way it was done. These retro VHS boxes and posters, fan made or official promos, are just badass. Destined to be a cult classic film.
    Last edited by butters; 02-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Very good filmed saw it for the first time tonight. I agree the music for the film was perfect and the movie itself I thought was pretty brilliant. Def not what I expected from seeing the previews when it first was released glad I watch it. Def recommended to anyone who is thinking about watching it or is on the fence about watching it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Just finished watching it, all I knew going in was that Ryan Gosling was a getaway driver, and it was violent. Expectations = blown.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    took me more than an hour to set up the UltraViolet/Flixster integration, but finally got it working and downloaded the movie on my mobile devices. Drive anytime!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    took me more than an hour to set up the UltraViolet/Flixster integration, but finally got it working and downloaded the movie on my mobile devices. Drive anytime!
    Isn't that all a pain in the ass? It's not too bad once you get all the registration crap taken care of, though.

Has anyone else discovered that it's impossible to drive to the soundtrack without feeling like a complete badass?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Isn't that all a pain in the ass?

exactly. and this is partly why piracy will continue to destroy the movie/TV industry. People will d/l stuff off torrent no matter what, but there are plenty of people that want a quick, easy, non-frustrating way to watch movies w/o physical media, but can't. too many hoops to jump through. same with the menu/advertisement screens when you buy a blu-ray. I PAID FOR THE MOVIE, LET ME JUST SEE THE MOVIE. it shouldnt be easier/quicker to watch a movie illegally than it is to do the right thing and buy it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Kind of glad the Oscars nitwits missed this. Clearly too awesome for their timid tastes and machinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really dug this one. Loved the opening scene and the last hour but hated the 40 minutes in between. Probably would have bailed after 30 minutes if the opening scene wasn't so good, glad I stuck around for the rest of it. Just didnt like how it hit the brakes 10 minutes in and cruised for 30 minutes with driver and the girl, thought it got kinda cheesy and eye-rolling.

Good lord is it awesomely violent. Great use of a towel rack.

Great acting from Brooks and Cranston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It completely amazes me that people will take Drive as a movie about insight into stoic-primal-man but then completely write off a Vincent Gallo movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchtool View Post
    Really dug this one. Loved the opening scene and the last hour but hated the 40 minutes in between. Probably would have bailed after 30 minutes if the opening scene wasn't so good, glad I stuck around for the rest of it. Just didnt like how it hit the brakes 10 minutes in and cruised for 30 minutes with driver and the girl, thought it got kinda cheesy and eye-rolling.

Good lord is it awesomely violent. Great use of a towel rack.

Great acting from Brooks and Cranston.
    I'm in the same boat as you, seeing as I thought half the movie was damn good, and the other was fairly cheesy, but I thought the last hour was where it got weak. Basically after the first gunshots were fired, it went downhill for me.
    I loved the beginning with the suspense from the opening sequence and the mystery behind this driver who never speaks too much. When the movie was full of question marks is when I found it the most entertaining, because I wasn't sure the direction it was going to go, storywise. Once the gunshots I mentioned earlier went off, the film became way too obvious and predictble. Now, predictable doesn't nessisarily make a bad movie, but the way I see it, the primary source of entertainment I got from the first hour was, like I said, the uncertainty.
    Also, the chemistry between the driver and the chick seemed to be thrown out the window as well once all the action came into play. Giving Gosling's character very little to say really helped with the tension between the two, but once the focus became not the relationship between the driver and her, and more on how over-the-top the violence could be (which was still pretty sweet), we lost that tension.
    I guess, overall, I was just surprised at the dramatically different direction the style of the movie took, to the point of completely changing genres at the half way mark. Once the style shift took effect, the story became one I'd seen too many times. I hadn't read anything about the movie before seeing it, which was last night (since Germany gets all the sweet shit like 3 months late), and I went in not knowing what to expect. When the film introduced itself as this calm, cool, colorful 'noir,' I was pretty stoked, and when it switched half way through to a loud, Rambo-like gangster film I was pretty turned off.

And by the way, this is the first time I'd seen Christina Hendricks in anything... what's all the big fucking hype about? Talk about average looking. Without the invention of the pushup bra to prop those things up under her chin, she'd have no career.
    Last edited by coolguy; 02-07-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    is anyone familiar with the book? I loved the movie, but would like to know how well it stands up to the source material. is there something missing, is it a loose adaption etc. ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    not to sound like an expert, but if you've seen the rest of Refn's work you'd know that nothing about the pacing in Drive has not be thought through. if there's a part you didn't feel good about than chances are you missed a point. seriously, i know this is fanboish, but i can't remember the last time i felt so strongly about a movie. there's nothing i would like to be any different. just saw it last night for the 3rd time and it felt like it just keeps getting better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If anybody hasn't seen this meme yet, it's pretty hilarious. Albert Brooks posted it himself a couple of days ago on his Twitter account.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finally watched this the other night. I thought it was pretty good. I could see how some may say that it was too slow but i think it worked to help build the character of the driver up more since he doesn't say much. Overall I thought it was really good. Slower movies don't scare me I appreciate a chance to actually have to watch a movie instead of just being blown away. Though it was violent i didn't think it was anything too over the top. It's definitely one I will watch again.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don't think I have watched a new movie as many times over as Drive. I just love everything about it. The atmospheric elements and the way the score moves with the movie is just amazing.