Page 113 of 263 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 213 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 7882

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuckssakes, finally lol.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Uhh guys....i think this might be the year

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/co...reddit-android
    "Music is done." That does mean RECORDED, right? I agree, it's finally looking like this might be the year. New APC and Tool the same year. I imagine that the APC album will come out 2nd quarter, while the Tool album will be 3rd or 4th qtr.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    "Music is done." That does mean RECORDED, right? I agree, it's finally looking like this might be the year. New APC and Tool the same year. I imagine that the APC album will come out 2nd quarter, while the Tool album will be 3rd or 4th qtr.
    Uh, no, they would probably be recording only after lyrics are done. Shouldn't take long for Maynard to do that, so they probably will record it soon and then release around the end of this year. We hope.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Uh, no, they would probably be recording only after lyrics are done. Shouldn't take long for Maynard to do that, so they probably will record it soon and then release around the end of this year. We hope.
    But surely it's possible that the music has been recorded and the vocals can just get recorded later. It all gets assembled/mixed in Pro Tools anyway, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    But surely it's possible that the music has been recorded and the vocals can just get recorded later. It all gets assembled/mixed in Pro Tools anyway, right?
    Possible but unlikely given every prior album they've ever recorded was done with all four members present.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I’m wondering how much they’ve collaborated by distance. They’ve said they have a Dropbox and everything they use to share their progress. The process as described is usually they write the music, Maynard comes in and writes lyrics and rearranges things with the band, then they record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yes, lots of that composition/arranging is probably happening by electronic means. But they are just not the type of band to put everything on the final record together by Dropbox.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Possible but unlikely given every prior album they've ever recorded was done with all four members present.

Ehhhh...you sure about that?

I could've sworn that the band recorded Lateralus without MJK present because he was doing APC and they sent him the record and he did vocals on his own..

Am I completely wrong?

I thought I read that in Revolver back in like 2010.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Ehhhh...you sure about that?

I could've sworn that the band recorded Lateralus without MJK present because he was doing APC and they sent him the record and he did vocals on his own..

Am I completely wrong?

I thought I read that in Revolver back in like 2010.
    Pretty sure they did the music and he wrote lyrics to it like it’s being done now. 10,000 Days was written with all four present, IIRC. But I think Maynard has generally had people write music then he writes lyrics to it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    We're talking about recording, not writing. My contention is that they record everything together but (probably even as far back as Lateralus) Maynard has written his lyrics and melodies separately after hearing all the music in demo form.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    We're talking about recording, not writing. My contention is that they record everything together but (probably even as far back as Lateralus) Maynard has written his lyrics and melodies separately after hearing all the music in demo form.
    No clue on the recording process.

The writing process was detailed more when Maynard was on the Joe Rogan Experience. He (now) waits for the music to be done. In the past, he's written melodies and lyrics only for the song structure to change entirely. He described the music writing process as "tedious" and something he doesn't like to be a part of.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Is Axl Rose producing Tool now? The article in Rolling Stone is pretty funny & ridiculous.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Well, when you think about it, Lateralus was an evolution compared to their first couple releases. The sound on Lateralus was a drastic departure from anything they had done at that point. I remember buying that record the day it came out and sitting in my buddy's car (who was a huge tool fan), as we listened to it for the first time and our initial reaction was "This is terrible!" but boy, oh boy did that record ever grow on me. That's hands down their best record, but upon first hearing it, it was such a drastic departure from their earlier work. So, change isn't always a bad thing.
    I always thought there was Opiate/Undertow (early 90’s alt metal), and then Aenima and everything after (prog/experimental metal). I still remember hearing Stinkfist on the radio for the first time when it came out (wasn’t much a fan at the time, mind you) and remember thinking “THIS is the same band that put out Sober!?!?!”

Assuming it actually comes out, I just hope I like the new album. Will be interesting to see what direction it goes in.

It would be weird listening to new Tool, won’t it? Us dorks that follow the band have all five releases pretty much engrained into our brain. Might go into shock or have a seizure. Like detox- but the opposite.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Impossible not to have high expectations. I am sure the boys will put out something good even if some, perhaps many, still feel disappointed. It's just been a long time since new material. Long-awaited expectations typically are impossible to get rewarded when you expect greatness. Regardless, they make music they enjoy playing. I can't imagine it sucking if they enjoy performing it and feel it's worth releasing. Who knows, perhaps it will be a grower as well. At times albums I might initially dig I grow bored of in short order. Some albums I find initially unexpected or off-putting grow into favorites. Tends to happen when a favorite band evolves their sound. Makes me evolve my ear and add to my pallete. But so much of everything has been done. See? I'm screwed. lol... I should just be happy they're finally releasing new music. Could be a lot worse when thinking of my other favorite bands.
    Last edited by pulse; 01-20-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: A few words.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    http://www.theprp.com/2018/01/21/new...one-new-album/

A livestreamed Instagram video recently done by Tool guitarist Adam Jones had the man himself commenting about the status of the new Tool album. Jones himself replied to the fan with:
    “Music is done. Lyrics coming in hard"

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    My one request is please no Alex Grey artwork.
    I've never liked the fact that 10,000 Days used an Alex Grey painting that I'd already seen beforehand, and I remember thinking even back in 2006 that Alex Grey doing Tool artwork was cliche and played-out.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 01-21-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    My one request is please no Alex Grey artwork.
    I've never liked the fact that 10,000 Days used an Alex Grey painting that I'd already seen beforehand, and I remember thinking even back in 2006 that Alex Grey doing Tool artwork was cliche and played-out.
    I love the Alex Grey artwork, tbh. Although the Net of Being artwork did feel a little rushed. On the other hand, a lot of what was done for 10,000 Days felt rushed out the door.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'd be curious to know what "done" means. Does Maynard have demo tracks that he's using for vocals, or are the instrumentals recorded, largely mixed, set in stone (not changing based on how Maynard starts writing to them), etc?

Depending on the meaning of "done", I can still see this not coming out this year. And that's not a criticism - just an observation. It'll happen when it happens.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'd be curious to know what "done" means. Does Maynard have demo tracks that he's using for vocals, or are the instrumentals recorded, largely mixed, set in stone (not changing based on how Maynard starts writing to them), etc?

Depending on the meaning of "done", I can still see this not coming out this year. And that's not a criticism - just an observation. It'll happen when it happens.
    Nah, makes sense. MJK was on Joe Rogan's podcast somewhat recently and if you recall, when asked about it said that it's frustrating. The other guys send him something, he starts to come up with lyrics, vocal melodies, etc. and by the time they get together, the song has veered off in some other direction, haha.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Maybe he writes vocal melodies not necessarily at the time as lyrics. You can write a vocal hook and come up with actual words for it later.
    "Music" also includes vocals, no? Adam says "Lyrics" coming in hard, so he could mean that Maynard is now onto to the lyrics stage and the vocal melodies are more or less done. I dunno, maybe I'm reaching but I want to be optimistic that this'll be out sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Apparently it IS done. The music anyway. According to these guys anyway. The band played it for them in full in a rehearsal space.
    Lyrics still being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth frontman Adam Nergal Darski
    I was privileged to witness @toolbandfanpage rehaersing today… lucky me u’ll say hm? Well, yes, lucky me. It was splendid experience to see this visionary band perform in the same room. THANK U Justin for invitation… it was pretty fuckin’ inspiriting and unworldly!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Aemaio
    “Yes it is true… the new Tool record is done… (vocals still in progress) and the world is just not ready for this… beyond grateful to have just witnessed an almost full band performance of it with @nergal69 and @morganagren at The Loft. Really no words for this… now heading to really cap this Cali trip in style with @meshuggahband …
    https://www.alternativenation.net/fa...dio-true-done/

So, sounds like we might actually get this thing by the end of the year. Wonder why Maynard is being so grouchy about it then. When people ask, he freaks out and just says APC!! APC motherfuckers!!! Wish he'd be more transparent and just admit "yeah, I'm working the the lyrics, this thing is coming together"
    He's such a naysayer. He really wants to distance himself as far from Tool as he possible can, doesn't he?

EDIT: Adding this:
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-30-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Maynard’s probably upset because no one wants to talk to him about anything but Tool and it’s been that way since 2010. He’s spent 7 years touring and releasing with other bands while Tool got things tied up in a box. He wants to release something that’s gonna stand on its own and I’m pretty sure he’d rather people ask about the kid that’s about to be born and not the next one down the line.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Apparently it IS done. The music anyway. According to these guys anyway. The band played it for them in full in a rehearsal space.
    Lyrics still being worked on.
    Maynard's reply to that picture with them in the rehearsal space?

@mjkeenan Nothing. Is. Tracked.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Maynard’s having another kid!

Quick everyone, start that rumor on Twitter and watch him lose his shit!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Maynard’s trying to promote other stuff. When the record is ready to be released and there’s a tour to be announced, I’m sure he’ll be willing to discuss it. But right now he’s focusing on the immediate definitive releases. He’s touring with APC and a new album on the horizon. And to be fair, excluding the album reissues and one single, it’s been longer between APC albums than it has Tool. I can understand why his focus would be on the former.
    Last edited by Bachy; 01-31-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tough titties. Maybe release the new APC songs that don't sound like shit if you want people to be more hyped for the record. Oh, and also stop doing (and promoting) moneygrab tours EVERY year with Tool if you don't want people to care about Tool. Fuck Maynard. Worst attitude.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    To be fair, Tool has the shittiest fan-base ever. I don't blame the guy for having a bit of attitude toward his asshole fans who will never be pleased.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know I’m gonna be a total Maynard apologist here but I honestly wouldn’t blame him for walking away from Tool. It’s clear it’s overshadowed everything he tries to do. I feel bad for the guy, honestly. Tool is still the music kids hitting the prog scene find. Like the difference in average ages between audiences at a Puscifer show and a Tool show is almost shocking.

He wants to do other stuff, too, but everyone immediately jumps back to Tool. Even the interviews in the damn wine magazines ask about Tool’s next album. He’s been really clear that he’s part of a band and he has his role in it and he doesn’t control when the albums come out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I know I’m gonna be a total Maynard apologist here but I honestly wouldn’t blame him for walking away from Tool. It’s clear it’s overshadowed everything he tries to do. I feel bad for the guy, honestly. Tool is still the music kids hitting the prog scene find. Like the difference in average ages between audiences at a Puscifer show and a Tool show is almost shocking.

He wants to do other stuff, too, but everyone immediately jumps back to Tool. Even the interviews in the damn wine magazines ask about Tool’s next album. He’s been really clear that he’s part of a band and he has his role in it and he doesn’t control when the albums come out.
    I will defend him in understanding his frustration in interviews when he is trying to promote/discuss another project and gets hounded about Tool. But I'm not going to feel sorry or pity him for being associated with a hugely successful band. I mean, he's an intelligent person. He gets to be a cynical satirical asshole for a living and gets away with it. Meet Roger Waters. Meet Peter Gabriel. Meet Steven Wilson. Meet half-a-dozen other multi-project artists that spend decades being asked about the band that launched them. Sure, it gets old, but Maynard can deal with it like any other artist. And yes, he can always walk away.