Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The correct title is "JUST KIDDING BEFORE THIS IS THE ONE THAT IS COCKLIKE!"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Well... I am guessing. But I am going to lay some foundations...

The clue was that there was an interview many weeks behind that showed Depeche Mode's Black Celebration album, which would have been an inspiration by Nine Inch Nails, so Trent could be borrowing the Black title for a NIN record. The Omniscience part could come from his own hint over Twitter, where he stated Nescience (which is the contrary to Omniscience).

If I was in the NIN team I would suggest this as a name for the EP.
    There's no way to guess the title because Trent admitted he was making shit up as he went along.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    There's no way to guess the title because Trent admitted he was making shit up as he went along.
    EP 3 : Making Shit Up

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    EP 3 : Making Shit Up
    © meathead

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    EP3 is obviously titled Impossible Pain

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not really, all the lyrics are alreadly written, it's the instrumentals and the way the music's gonna sound that is on spot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    all the lyrics are already writtem
    Where did you hear that?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Not really, all the lyrics are alreadly written, it's the instrumentals and the way the music's gonna sound that is on spot.
    We may be able to get the lyrics early if there are any hackers around here. If the lyrics are on paper, visual images can be made from bouncing sound waves off of shit... easily done with even a phone line..especially computer mics... or mics in cellphones etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    In one of the interviews, I don't know where, very recent ones after Add Violence's release.

For example, Trent stated that he had no idea that Less Than would be such a banger, the lyrics were written for the song, but had no idea the song would come out to be one of the more accesible ones.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    In one of the interviews, I don't know where, very recent ones after Add Violence's release.

For example, Trent stated that he had no idea that Less Than would be such a banger, the lyrics were written for the song, but had no idea the song would come out to be one of the more accesible ones.
    trent said at the Q&A at reckless that the third EP was just "lyrics in a notebook" at the time, but his implication was that they were finished lyrics.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trent said several times in the second Lowe interview that he has no master plan and that he's making it up as he's gong along and "winging it".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I often wonder what TR is trying to achieve via NIN, as of late, and if he is intentionally producing noisy and oddly structured tracks; or if this is just how it's coming out when he produces for NIN.

He and AR are producing truck loads of beautiful, quiet, descriptive, slow tracks... is NIN his anger outlet? I feel like previous NIN albums were a bit more diverse and balanced (aggressive, accessible, abstract, instrumental, catchy..)

Are his other projects taking away from NIN? Are other project producing NIN? (Hey that's a cool sound but doesn't belong in Vietnam, store it in the NIN folder).

NIN is his business, he could easily produce some 4/4; upbeat; poppy; radio friendly songs that get good rotation on the radio that lasts longer than a week... but he doesn't. And I respect that.

But I've tasted TDTTWA QUIET, and ever since 1999 I've been waiting for something equally as dark and beautiful and structured as that song... and as I type this 'The Background World' hits the 10:00 mark and nears 52 loops and I realize this dark world is no longer dark and beautiful; and is no longer structured.

So what is it?
    Last edited by snaapz; 11-28-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I often wonder what TR is trying to achieve via NIN, as of late, and if he is intentionally producing noisy and oddly structured tracks; or if this is just how it's coming out when he produces for NIN.

He and AR are producing truck loads of beautiful, quiet, descriptive, slow tracks... is NIN his anger outlet? I feel like previous NIN albums were a bit more diverse and balanced (aggressive, accessible, abstract, instrumental, catchy..)

Are his other projects taking away from NIN? Are other project producing NIN? (Hey that's a cool sound but doesn't belong in Vietnam, store it in the NIN folder).

NIN is his business, he could easily produce some 4/4; upbeat; poppy; radio friendly songs that get good rotation on the radio that lasts longer than a week... but he doesn't. And I respect that.

But I've tasted TDTTWA QUIET, and ever since 1999 I've been waiting for something equally as dark and beautiful and structured as that song... and as I type this 'The Background World' hits the 10:00 mark and nears 52 loops and I realize this dark world is no longer dark and beautiful; and is no longer structured.

So what is it?
    This is a thought-provoking post. Here is my take:

The purposeful constraints/parameters theory:

Trent often applies sets limits, constraints, and parameters to his projects. Perhaps Trent has an over-arching “structure” or “format” for NIN. “Format” is too strong of a word, but there could be sonic parameters to NIN. We know one of his lyrical parameters is to write from his “truth” or heart.

The unconscious beliefs theory:

Trent is operating under a set of possibly unconscious beliefs that shape the sound of NIN. Presumably, these beliefs are different than the ones he holds for his other projects.

————-

As for the lack of quiet and beautiful instrumental tracks on recent releases..... I would love to hear a gorgeous interlude following a particularly aggressive song.... but I want it to be weird as hell.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    This is a thought-provoking post. Here is my take:

The purposeful constraints/parameters theory:

Trent often applies sets limits, constraints, and parameters to his projects. Perhaps Trent has an over-arching “structure” or “format” for NIN. “Format” is too strong of a word, but there could be sonic parameters to NIN. We know one of his lyrical parameters is to write from his “truth” or heart.

The unconscious beliefs theory:

Trent is operating under a set of possibly unconscious beliefs that shape the sound of NIN. Presumably, these beliefs are different than the ones he holds for his other projects.

————-

As for the lack of quiet and beautiful instrumental tracks on recent releases..... I would love to hear a gorgeous interlude following a particularly aggressive song.... but I want it to be weird as hell.
    ^^^ Splendid.

I personally think TR did dip into quiet(ish) territory with The Lovers and This Isn't The Place. And A Minute To Breathe proves he can still write an arrestingly quiet lyrical song.

I would quite like a track on the third EP echoing the sounds of Vietnam War/TGWTDT.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trent has been pretty quiet lately. Do you think he's working on this third EP or something else happening?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Trent has been pretty quiet lately. Do you think he's working on this third EP or something else happening?
    I would dare to say that he is indeed working, probably on the EP.

In a recent interview Gary Numan said how Trent is always working.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I took Hesitation Mark, made it a 5-song EP. Best EP ever.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    What tracklist did you give it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well.. it's obliviously personal. Copy of A (Tension Live version), Came Back Haunted, VMOE, All Time Low, In Two.

(I have oversell it, but I was just happy to listen to some Hesitation Marks again, since I don't tend to listen to it really, but I really love the two new EP)
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 11-29-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    What tracklist did you give it?
    If it's not this, you did it wrong.

1. All Time Low
    2. Satellite
    3. Various Methods of Escape
    4. I Would For You
    5. In Two

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

So what is it?
    "beautiful, quiet, descriptive, slow tracks" I'd say those words can also be used to describe several of the newer NIN tracks as well (The Lovers, This Isn't the Place). I consider the new EPs to be pretty diverse (AV more so than NTAE, but still). There are really only four tracks that I'd say fit your "anger outlet" descriptor (Branches/Bones, The Idea of You, Burning Bright, Not Anymore). This isn't the Place is pretty close to being an instrumental (thank God it isn't because those vocals are amazing). There are industrial elements sprinkled all over the place. And then there's Less Than, which I think it's safe to say is both accessible and catchy... so I think I have to disagree with you here. And NIN has never been about producing radio-friendly songs that get good rotation. Once in a while that happens because the song is catchy, but I don't think the guy has ever set out to make a song with that intention.

As for the question you posed about whether their score work is inspiring or detracting from their NIN work, I believe it's the former and I think these new EPs are the proof. As TR stated during the radio interview from Chicago, I think they've become reinvigorated and inspired to create more experimental and engaging NIN music again because when they shift their focus to NIN, they're freed of the constraints placed on them while producing music for a movie/director that ultimately serves and contributes to a larger project that they're just a small part of.

Sorry for the double-post...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-30-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If it's not this, you did it wrong.

1. All Time Low
    2. Satellite
    3. Various Methods of Escape
    4. I Would For You
    5. In Two
    Close....
    1. Eater of Dreams/Copy of a
    2. Find my Way
    3. All Time Low
    4. In Two
    5. While Im Still Here/Black noise

That being said, i wasn't much feeling NTAE untill AV came out, now I just listen to them together in a playlist, on shuffle. Once 3 comes out , then ill try and sequence all three of the EPs together.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/SongExploder/status/935970834866417664

News about EP#3???

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

News about EP#3???
    I was just about to post that this thing was coming sooner than expected...NINtuition at full power..

February 2018 here we come!

Fault Lines is such a bad ass title.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 11-30-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

News about EP#3???
    oh. my. god.

anyone else see "Rose Reznor's" reply?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I was just about to post that this thing was coming sooner than expected...NINtuition at full power..

February 2018 here we come!

Fault Lines is such a bad ass title.

You almost had me. I got excited for a second, thinking I must have missed some announcement somewhere. Then I saw your username...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If it was up to me decide of an EP out of Hesitation Marks, that would run as:

1. A Copy of A.
    2. Various Method of Escape
    3. Find My Way.
    4. Satellite
    5. I Would for You

6. Untitled Hidden Track (Black Noise)

I prefer the more epic, melodic-wise songs from this album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    oh. my. god.

anyone else see "Rose Reznor's" reply?

Oh yes, I've seen it.
    I think I'm going to filter girls on Tinder who are only NIN fans... OMG.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicoler View Post
    so this cute little bird on twitter said a few weeks back:
    https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/929183629393006592

i'm not sure if this is inside info or just teasing with the speculations.

did get my eye, though
    @ninlive - I hope around the corner means way before April then, or no later than mid April, considering when that was posted and all. I still hope it's the former though. I just dare to dream.

Everytime I see this thread's name I think 3rd EP is out.
    I wish. I'd also like to admit that as much as I've become far more interested and concerned about how albums hold up after they're released, this has gotten me a bit more hyped up than usual. It makes it seem like a very memorable way to close the 2010s as far as NIN goes. I should even be (And I really am.) thankful that I got this much new NIN in under 5 years since Hesitation Marks came out, but knowing that this is a trilogy just left me with a cliffhanger vibe/mindset.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I don't care if Trent releases it next year as long as it's out

I want another 5 track EP; so in the end we'll get 15 tracks and 60+ minutes of music with the finished trilogy....