Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    So wait a min. Is Rev. Tuttle dead? Did I miss something?
    SPOILER

Yes Rev. Tuttle is dead. The detectives interviewing Hart said that he died in 2010 due to mixed medications. They're suspicious that Cohle killed him because he died right after Cohle showed back up in Louisiana. I tend to think Cohle killed him as well, but I'm sure we'll find out soon!
    Last edited by BrewHa; 02-20-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a great episode last night! I was riveted to the screen. This could be a SPOILER-The girl from the ranch suddenly shows up in the right place seven years later-that is too much of a coincidence. I think this was a set up to derail the investigation any way possible.

Can't believe only two episodes left. Both Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey have been excellent in this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I hate when there's a quiet episode cause it makes waiting the week so much harder. BUT i get it.

I cant tell if there is relevance of having that chick show up 7 years later.

She looked pretty young in the 2002 time line, i can only imagine how old she was in 1995.

I have to say that Woody plays a unpredictable, impulsive, brutish very well. There's a real violence underneath that southern drawl exterior.

Mccaunghaheyhey is great too. Anyone notice that he has been taking the Christian Bale class of low muttering?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I always got that sense of an evilish side to Marty and he isn't as dumb as he looks. I'm thinking more people are in on it than we are lead to believe.. the chief to me seemed like a paranoid more than just a mad boss yelling at his worker. What I found interesting was that the taillight of Rusts pickup was still broken.. has he really just come back? Or is he that detached?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I always got that sense of an evilish side to Marty and he isn't as dumb as he looks. I'm thinking more people are in on it than we are lead to believe.. the chief to me seemed like a paranoid more than just a mad boss yelling at his worker. What I found interesting was that the taillight of Rusts pickup was still broken.. has he really just come back? Or is he that detached?
    I thought that the broken taillight was from when he threw Marty into the back of his truck in the 2002 timeline.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought that the broken taillight was from when he threw Marty into the back of his truck in the 2002 timeline.
    Yes it was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes. And it was still there 10 years later. creeeeepy

Kind of a slow episode last night. And if theres only 2 episodes left I'm assuming this got picked up for another season. I kind of wished this was a mini series just so I could see how it ended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It is a mini series. It's being done the same way as American Horror Story. If it gets renewed for a second season, which it most likely will, then it will be a completely new story and set of actors.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I find this to be the best show on TV right now (at least until Game of Thrones is back). The moments you would call "slow" are important. Spacing, when done correctly, compliments film just like music, allowing the content to breathe; a form of increased dynamic range for film.

HBO has been so damn great for so long. They've either set the bar or rejuvenated so many genres... Mafia (modern and classic), mockumentary, western, horror, vampire, historical fiction and high fantasy.... Unless you live in Antarctica or just don't watch TV, you probably agree that detective and crime scene shows had become a dime-a-dozen. Yet, HBO takes a stab and kills every other network series with the first thrust.
    Last edited by pulse; 02-25-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I find this to be the best show on TV right now. The moments you would call "slow" are important. Spacing, when done correctly, compliments film just like music, allowing the content to breathe; a form of increased dynamic range for film.

HBO has been so damn great for so long. They've either set the bar or rejuvenated so many genres... Mafia (modern and classic), mockumentary, western, horror, vampire, historical fiction and high fantasy.... Unless you live in Antarctica or just don't watch TV, you probably agree that detective and crime scene shows had become a dime-a-dozen. Yet, HBO takes a stab and kills every other network series with the first thrust.
    Oh I agree with you that the pacing of each episode is important and done very well on this show. I meant last nights particular episode was slow as far as moving the grand scheme of things along.

To put it simply there was a lot of "chick stuff" in last nights episode.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Definitely enjoying this show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Oh I agree with you that the pacing of each episode is important and done very well on this show. I meant last nights particular episode was slow as far as moving the grand scheme of things along.

"Chick Stuff"???! It was nice to see the "chicks" in the series get a little more dimension to them, especially Marty's long suffering and abused wife.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure the creators of the show have a lot more interest in the 'chick stuff' than the murders, etc.

“To achieve a personal vision that deeply investigates character, it makes sense to choose as a delivery vehicle a genre where an investigation is already underway…You can probably tell I don’t give a … about serial killers, and I certainly don’t care to engage in some sort of creative cultural competition for who can invent the most disgusting kind of serial killer,” he said. “This is just a vehicle. You could have engaged the same obsessions in a doughnut shop. But the show probably wouldn’t have sold.”

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/tru...#ixzz2uLIjAT5Q

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was reading the internet and saw something in regards to Cohle drinking beers that the officers got him. It stated that because of this anything that he said on the tape would be inadmissible later on. Does that sound right?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

What do you mean 'chick stuff'?

I thought this person put it well. I don't think it's what you meant so I am curious.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t..._s_a_good.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was reading the internet and saw something in regards to Cohle drinking beers that the officers got him. It stated that because of this anything that he said on the tape would be inadmissible later on. Does that sound right?
    I asked my old roommate whose been a city cop for the last five years, and he said it would be completely inadmissible unless the writers are being dumb and going the whole grizzled cop route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will be sad when this season ends, I absolutely LOVE the cast.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    oh man! I'm loving this show. Just catching up. Definitely the best show on TV right now. From out of no where too. it's fantastic. After this last episode I'm still left wondering:

Spoiler: what's up with Marty's daughter and the dolls and the drawings and stuff? I feel like those are both so glossed over. At first I thought it was something up with Marty, but I'm kind of thinking it might involve his wife, now...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    HUGE potential spoiler:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Fuck that was tense.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I thought they were both gone for good for a minute.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I felt like the finale was a little.... overly forward. Almost like an obligatory clean up, since the case was playing second fiddle to the detectives' relationship. I continued to enjoy the art direction in regards to the culty stuff.

Ended well, but internet hype is always going to demand something more interesting than that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I thought they were both gone for good for a minute.
    Would have preferred it. The last 5 minutes or so were very disappointing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Would have preferred it. The last 5 minutes or so were very disappointing.
    Have to agree. I was expecting something more as well. It felt like too many things were left un answered.

Sure they got the scared man but the real source of these things is still out there (aka. rich men devil worshipers) SO killing the scared man was no more getting to the root of the problem than killing Ledaux.

It felt like there was jsut not enough time to answer more questions and so they made the ending they did. It felt a little cheap to try to humanize Rust further by giving him the dialogue about feeling his daughter and dad.

So was the scared man the yellow king? were the skeleton sticks the yellow king?

Not as bad as the ending to the LOST series but lots of questions unanswered.

Despite my criticism, this remains a great series.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well, I don't mind the unanswered questions about the killings as much as I mind them spending 7 and a half episodes building Cohle, establishing his character, developing him, just to have him black out and wake up a different, the-light-is-winning person for no apparent reason. It feels dishonest and cheap. You keep thinking this show is different, it's smart, it's dark, intelligent even, only to have cheese smeared all over the last 5 minutes like some bullshit Hollywood film... It was a lame deux ex machina move. I would compare this show to an amazing 5 course meal, only to find out in the end that the cook's been spitting in the food. Kinda puts you off a bit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Well, I don't mind the unanswered questions about the killings as much as I mind them spending 7 and a half episodes building Cohle, establishing his character, developing him, just to have him black out and wake up a different, the-light-is-winning person for no apparent reason. It feels dishonest and cheap. You keep thinking this show is different, it's smart, it's dark, intelligent even, only to have cheese smeared all over the last 5 minutes like some bullshit Hollywood film... It was a lame deux ex machina move. I would compare this show to an amazing 5 course meal, only to find out in the end that the cook's been spitting in the food. Kinda puts you off a bit.
    man
    I feel like you and I saw totally different shows