Thread: Add Violence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Will we get the full Background World or will it be edited so we get another side of TDS reversed, or maybe an etching: "Hey ETS: there's no ARG this time. Let it go."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Will we get the full Background World or will it be edited so we get another side of TDS reversed, or maybe an etching: "Hey ETS: there's no ARG this time. Let it go."

i'm hoping that we get the first three tracks on side A, and "not anymore" & the full version of "the background world" on side B. also, i think if done that way, it could be a 45rpm 12" and the sound quality would improve, so i have my fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since the entire EP is around 28 mins, I was hoping there would be some reversed tracks from the second half of Year Zero (Zero-Sum to God Given) but maybe TDS Reversed B-Side could be a one off thing, yet even extending the loop of TBW to fit the entire B-side wouldn't make a lot of sense (someone said the original loops about 52 times, Trent's current age).
    I'm hoping all the preorders from different sites will be the same version that the NIN Store will be selling soon, because it's not out of the realm to think that the NIN Store might be selling the exclusive version that comes with extra B-Side tracks (hopefully I'm wrong on that account)

Edit: Forgot that the B-Side of NTAE doesn't use the full 22 mins that its A-Side originally is. Maybe the Add Violence reversed side could be from Zero-Sum to The Great Destroyer?
    Last edited by _T_B_W_; 10-09-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post
    Since the entire EP is around 28 mins, I was hoping there would be some reversed tracks from the second half of Year Zero (Zero-Sum to God Given) but maybe TDS Reversed B-Side could be a one off thing, yet even extending the loop of TBW to fit the entire B-side wouldn't make a lot of sense (someone said the original loops about 52 times, Trent's current age).
    I'm hoping all the preorders from different sites will be the same version that the NIN Store will be selling soon, because it's not out of the realm to think that the NIN Store might be selling the exclusive version that comes with extra B-Side tracks (hopefully I'm wrong on that account)

Edit: Forgot that the B-Side of NTAE doesn't use the full 22 mins that its A-Side originally is. Maybe the Add Violence reversed side could be from Zero-Sum to The Great Destroyer?
    NTAE side B is those songs because it's the master plate of TDS 2017 side D mirrored. There's nothing further really there – they chose the side of TDS that has Reptile and ran it backwards. That's it. Maybe it has some greater narrative significance but apparently we don't get to know that yet. If they're gonna use reversed YZ music, it will likely be the same scenario, so just look up the side divisions of the original pressing; I think the last side starts at The Greater Good.

28 minutes is way too long for a side of vinyl, which tops at 18 minutes (at 33 1/3 RPM) without requiring mastering decisions, and about 23 minutes with those considerations made. They're better off putting TBW on side B by itself. Perhaps the width of the disc by the time the song gets down to the final loops will be a prime amount of time to cut a locked groove that (more or less musically) repeats forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    NTAE side B is those songs because it's the master plate of TDS 2017 side D mirrored. There's nothing further really there – they chose the side of TDS that has Reptile and ran it backwards. That's it. Maybe it has some greater narrative significance but apparently we don't get to know that yet. If they're gonna use reversed YZ music, it will likely be the same scenario, so just look up the side divisions of the original pressing; I think the last side starts at The Greater Good.

28 minutes is way too long for a side of vinyl, which tops at 18 minutes (at 33 1/3 RPM) without requiring mastering decisions, and about 23 minutes with those considerations made. They're better off putting TBW on side B by itself. Perhaps the width of the disc by the time the song gets down to the final loops will be a prime amount of time to cut a locked groove that (more or less musically) repeats forever.
    Ah, you know what I didn't take in account the max time for one side, so putting TBW entirely on the other would probably make a lot more sense.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Add Violence

Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post

I can't fully figure out what the TDS callbacks are referring to. I generally assumed it was a protagonist, but it doesn't seem like a total fabrication, looking back. A lot of TR's interviews in retrospect for the 90s era seem to suggest he got "lost in the role," and that it appears to have been somewhat traumatic. (I have no idea that any of this is actually "real" but I'm just going to pretend that it is.) Bleedthrough and the revival of its themes seem to be about the confusion of different layers of reality, and not being able to tell the difference between them. The Slip doesn't seem to have anything to do with it except maybe "Demon Seed." Hesitation Marks seems to again be further ruminations on this idea along with plenty of empathetic tracks for people who are still lost or never got a chance to find themselves. He's very, very focused on this. I'm not sure that it really has anything to do with YZ at all; I think it's about how even the self is an illusion, an elaborate ARG or program of its own, and that it's easy to get caught up thinking that you're this "one identity" when in fact it's largely an interaction between you, the environment, and uncontrollable forces. YZ has always been a sort of parallel to our own world, a not-so-distant logical extension of how things will play out, so I feel like certain fabrications from that era could be reappropriated to be symbolic of other realities. At least until we hear the next EP and it's all political songs and I am proven to be a total idiot.

It could just be a very self-obsessed rumination on his own identity (at least in NIN) and his own problems, but I feel like that's a stretch at this point. I do know that any kind of sustained self-destruction tends leave its scars well after the fact, if one survives it, so I don't totally know what to make of it all.

As far as TBW on vinyl, I would have assumed it would just be as it is on the digital files, but the TDS plate was a surprise, and they did have an edited version prepared for the radio (on Apple? can't remember), so who knows.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 10-09-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Slip doesn't seem to have anything to do with it except maybe "Demon Seed."

"After all this time, and I still haven't found my place"

"And this is not my face and this is not my life and there's not a single thing here I can recongize and this is all a dream and none of you are real, I'd give anything, I'd give anything"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    "After all this time, and I still haven't found my place"

"And this is not my face and this is not my life and there's not a single thing here I can recongize and this is all a dream and none of you are real, I'd give anything, I'd give anything"
    My memory's been pretty bad lately; I totally forgot the second one. The line from 1,000,000 isn't as directly about the confusion between selves to me? It reads as more confessional but that's just my take.