come on, sing along, everybody now!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    come on, sing along, everybody now!
    Got Gibbons!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Cue Robin getting the whispered part wrong for the 117th time.

Back on topic, "The Fragile" has actually been quite elusive with me for years. "Into the Void" was the first NIN song I ever heard, and while that - and a lot of the other songs - really resonated with me, I somehow didn't quite get the whole picture. Got the album recently as a birthday present, and it finally gelled. I reckon it's one of those albums that don't work as a download. You need to get into that state where you sit down, put on the album and concentrate on that till it's over. It's quickly become one of my favourite albums, and we're not just talking about NIN here.

So yeah, bring on that damn deluxe edition, and it better not be "soon."

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its been "soon" for a few years now...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    at this point I think we're looking at IDs old saying. "When it's done"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    About Deep... it seems like the lyrics were chosen more for how they sound together than what they say. And I'm more than fine with that.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blank stare
    disrepair

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    gottabigblackholegonnafillmeupsomedaysomedayfadesa waylikeamemoryoraplacethatyou'dratherbe

Kinda reminds me of The Wretched in how certain parts are sung. I like both songs.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Deep always sounded like a With Teeth demo to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can't think of any songs that I have a problem with lyrically apart from maybe 1 or 2 off PHM. I'm not bothered about grammar issues so that isn't a factor to me. I've always thought his lyrics fit in perfectly with the mood and themes of the music itself.

Personally, I'm not too hyped about the idea of a re-release of The Fragile. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not against it. I'm more interested in some 100% new content from NIN. Another Ghosts would be absolutely amazing in my opinion. However, I hope when it is released, they have a good amount of new/unreleased content. Sort of like the re-release of The Downward Spiral just minus all the demos

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't think The Fragile re-release impedes any new NIN. Ghosts bullshit sure would though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I doubt we're going to get more Ghosts soon after two years of soundtracks. If we get new NIN by next year, it's definitely going to be a full album with vocals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I doubt we're going to get more Ghosts soon after two years of soundtracks. If we get new NIN by next year, it's definitely going to be a full album with vocals.
    Yeah, very good point. I'll be quite happy regardless what we get. Unless it's nothing. That would make me sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    I've always thought his lyrics fit in perfectly with the mood and themes of the music itself.
    I totally agree.

And then there are home runs like Right Where It Belongs...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tudek View Post
    I totally agree.

And then there are home runs like Right Where It Belongs...
    My god that song is a masterpiece. I know they already have 2 studio versions of that song but I wish they'd make a studio recording of the version they did for Beside You In Time. How can people like Lady Gaga top the charts when there are musicians like Trent Reznor about? Makes no damned sense

Sorry, back to the subject matter. Is the general assumption with the upcoming re-issue that it's going to be a straight up remastering with no extras?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I was pretty disappointed that the remaster of PHM didn't come with demos of some of the songs on PHM (I'd kill for demos of Terrible Lie, Sin, and SICNH) so I'm really hoping that this remaster of The Fragile will come with at least one or two demo's and maybe some of those 'lost Fragile tracks'.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    PHM had the R notation, not the DE one. One day, we may get PHM-DE, but for now, TF-DE is not comparable to PHM-R.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    PHM had the R notation, not the DE one. One day, we may get PHM-DE, but for now, TF-DE is not comparable to PHM-R.
    That's true. I didn't think of that.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear some of the isolated Mike Garson/Adrian Belew performances as bonus tracks.

On another note, "Where Is Everybody?" sounds closest to "Deep" out of all the other NIN songs. "WIE" is a more powerful song I think. Still not great lyrics but takes me back to a very vivid time and place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I dreamt last night that this came out. I was listening to the blu-ray, and it was amazing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    ^ err, you seem to have missed the part of the article on "Appendage" that shows attribution to Charlie Clouser. as in, the majority of its construction is attributed in the liner notes to Clouser. as in, it's a remix.
    Sorry to bump this but this is bugging me. Appendage is exactly what the title implies. It's a part of Please and not a remix. During this time Danny, Charlie, and Keith contributed more to NIN over all than most members before them. You can even see in the credits that they are given credit as writing. So saying that just because Charlie is the creative head of Appendage, that it's only a remix is totally like lessening his relevance as a fellow sculptor of the record. If I remember correctly the whole point of the song was to fill out the end of the cassette cause Trent either wanted to give that medium a bonus or just wanted to fill more of the tape (maybe both). Either way that whole time period was a huge experiment with taking songs in many different directions. Just because a piece of music is birthed from a song with a different title doesn't make it a remix.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    cool. call it whatever you want, maaaaaan. if Clouser was the main composer, it isn't NIN anymore (it can't be, by the very definition of the entity). i can't find specifics on who actually made it, though – the cassette liner notes are less than helpful about Appendage. anyone know of an interview that mentions it?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    From this post on Fragile-era nin.com:
    When we assembled the cassette, we now had four beginnings and endings to contend with instead of two of each (for the CD) follow? It worked out pretty well just dividing the songs up, but we wanted the A sides of the cassettes to be slightly longer than the B sides (so that when the tape flips over you are not in the middle of the first song on that side). We added the 'appendage' to 'please' to make that work.
    That's all I got.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This actually gets me thinking whether they had “appendages” ready for more than one song “Please”
    ...well, two songs (another one is the obvious “slipping away” which grew too big for a filler ☻).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've really got to stop thinking about this. A 5.1 mix I don't have the equipment to hear, of songs I already have (and love). I'm more impatient and excited about this than the HTDA record and that's wrong.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'm more impatient and excited about this than the HTDA record and that's wrong.
    No, No, No, You're not wrong at all. You are just stating the truth. HTDA really isn't anything special, it's not. If it had Trents vocals on it, I would reconsider this statement, but really - The Fragile is superior to HTDA in all way, shape and form. You don't have to feel guilty for speaking the truth.

I just hope that we're not expecting something else in this package than what Trent has planned. I think because TDS deluxe editon came out with a second disc of rare tracks, remixes, b-sides and demos we're kind of assuming The Fragile is going to have the same. And that's what frightens me, we might be getting all hyped up over this for nothing. I mean a 5.1 mix is nice, but face it, I think we're all excited for this release for the potential to hear rare and unreleased material.

I really hope we're not setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    No, No, No, You're not wrong at all. You are just stating the truth. HTDA really isn't anything special, it's not. If it had Trents vocals on it, I would reconsider this statement, but really - The Fragile is superior to HTDA in all way, shape and form. You don't have to feel guilty for speaking the truth.
    Oh, you've heard the album? How is it?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Oh, you've heard the album? How is it?
    Well, if it's anything like the EP I guarentee you I won't like it, I can't stand that EP and his wife's vocal styles. I just can't get into at all. So Unless she took a back seat on the new HTDA LP, I can't see myself enjoying it. So while I shouldn't jump to conclusions until I hear it, based on the other tracks i'm gonna say I don't think i'm going to like it.

I didn't even like that Bonus HTDA track at the end of TGWTDT S/T... What was it called? "is your love strong enough"? So, that being "newer" material, I can safely say if it's anything like that, once again i'm going to hate it.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 04-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    nevermind....
    Last edited by witte; 04-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I've really got to stop thinking about this. A 5.1 mix I don't have the equipment to hear, of songs I already have (and love). I'm more impatient and excited about this than the HTDA record and that's wrong.
    I'm more the guy who wants to hear new music than constantly listening to and talking about the past.
    TF is my favorite, and I will love the re-release, but I'm more excited about new material in the name of HTDA.

And dear 'ManBurning': for sure I respect your opinion. But I think when musicians don't develope and explore they do die musically. So it's good to do new things, just like Trent did when he started NIN in '89.
    HTDA is something complete different and it's good and refreshing!