Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Death From Above 1979

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This new album is magical. Honestly not a single bad track on here. It just flies by. This has exceeded every bit of hype I had for it.
    Exactly. Listened to it all last night. What a ride. The perfect follow up. Certainly doesn't sound like there have been 10 years between the 2 albums. Jesse plays like a robot, no note is off time or off velocity. Despite being more polished it's a very human record cause when the jams get wild you can hear the drums slightly fall off time a little here and there.

The very end of the record very much reminded me of Faith No More's Epic and/or Jizzlobber.

Can't wait to listen further. Putting the Physical World right next to Rise of the Planet of the Apes as far as exceeded expectations go in 2014.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If I remember correctly, there was a beef between TR and DFA during the With Teeth tour...I tried googling it but couldn't find anything. Can someone explain me what happened?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was a beef between TR and DFA during the With Teeth tour...I tried googling it but couldn't find anything. Can someone explain me what happened?
    Some fans were upset because they wanted to see the show, but were not wanting to pay those extreme NIN prices to get up close to the band. DFA said something along the lines like "well, don't go then" or they made an additional comment that I can't recall. TR went on either EtS or somewhere else to make a comment on DFA and made a Fugazi related joke to them about "carrying their equipment in."

I know DFA later explained themselves but that didn't stop butt hurt TR from leaving them off of the "thank yous" at the end of the Beside You in Time DVD.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    It's been on constant repeat for the last two days and I like it even better then their previous efforts. Really great combination of the first record and the EP.

I'm not feeling some songs right now but cheap talk, virgins, trainwreck, gemini, crystal ball, white is red and the physical world are damn great tracks! Can't wait for the show in October!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    gone thru about 12x... solid album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    gone thru about 12x... solid album.
    It took me about 2 or 3 listens to enjoy the album. I am normally this way though. I think it is a really good album as well. Just saw them the other night in Toronto and it sounds killer live, too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New album's great. Had to give in, drop a few hundred on a hotel, and score a pair of tickets to the Seattle show. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just got home from the Brooklyn show.... Nothing like seeing a band you love in a tiny venue.. I was in arms reach of knocking over Sebastian's kit... Lol
    Last edited by r_k_f; 09-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They're on Letterman tonight if anyone's interested....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    LOVE this album and definitely my favourite of the year so far. Can't get enough of it and have been listening to it 3-4 times a day since Sunday.

The only thing that's bothering me a bit is that the album version of Trainwreck uses a different mix and maybe even a different take than the single version. I'm just so familiar with every detail of the single version that the differences are disturbing me slightly. The chorus is less riff-y and the whole song seems to be a bit more laid back. Which can be a good thing, but I loved the massive and heavy parts of the single version and now they are more playful. I don't know, maybe they decided that the single version doesn't work as well in the album context.

Anyway, still fucking awesome and I can't wait to see them live in October

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hmm that didn't work for me. I think their sound doesn't really fit the live audience format. Still stoked to see em in person!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Hmm that didn't work for me. I think their sound doesn't really fit the live audience format. Still stoked to see em in person!
    I like their old performance on Conan better.... I like how they make use of the house musicians.. Max>Paul even though he just makes it...
    Last edited by r_k_f; 09-11-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I like their old performance on Conan better.... I like how they make use of the house musicians.. Max>Paul even though he just makes it...
    As much as I like the off the cuff raw Conan performance I think the Letterman appearance was excellent. I saw some live footage of Trainwreck that wasn't all that great but last night it sounded really together. The piano and Paul's backing vocals really made it special for me.

It would make my day if they went on Fallon and played with The Roots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    As much as I like the off the cuff raw Conan performance I think the Letterman appearance was excellent. I saw some live footage of Trainwreck that wasn't all that great but last night it sounded really together. The piano and Paul's backing vocals really made it special for me.

It would make my day if they went on Fallon and played with The Roots.
    after seeing them live in person, last nights performance is lacking some of the rawness but I still really liked it.
    The Roots idea, now that what be amazing....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, this record rocks. I get in weird moods where I just don't listen to any music at all when I get so monomanic about my other interests so I haven't had a chance to give this a proper listen and I'm really digging it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm still hooked.... Even after playing waaaayyy too much..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Album is great, it has enough new ideas yet its still distinctly DFA79. I think I like the production on the last album better, though. The guitar seemed to have a bit more oomph. Other than that, its awesome.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Album is great, it has enough new ideas yet its still distinctly DFA79. I think I like the production on the last album better, though. The bass seemed to have a bit more oomph. Other than that, its awesome.
    we're they're going, they don't need guitars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i'd love to hear what Keeler was trying to do in the studio... i read an interview where he says the producer told him to stop trying to "show off", or something like that..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i'd love to hear what Keeler was trying to do in the studio... i read an interview where he says the producer told him to stop trying to "show off", or something like that..
    I read that interview and he was saying something to the effect of Dave Sardy asking JFK to play certain parts as if he just picked up the bass for the first time. Im guessing this was to inject some rawness to technical riffing that he was wanting to do initially. The same interview mentioned that Sebastian was asked to re record some vocals in a more gritty fashion like he did on the first record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I read that interview and he was saying something to the effect of Dave Sardy asking JFK to play certain parts as if he just picked up the bass for the first time. Im guessing this was to inject some rawness to technical riffing that he was wanting to do initially. The same interview mentioned that Sebastian was asked to re record some vocals in a more gritty fashion like he did on the first record.
    yep... That's the one..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And out since yesterday! It is pretty cool, not that much concert footage (obviously), but a view into the personal lives of those two people.

Also saw them live yesterday, very noisy and very cool

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    And out since yesterday! It is pretty cool, not that much concert footage (obviously), but a view into the personal lives of those two people.

Also saw them live yesterday, very noisy and very cool
    @Dr.Z, obviously we have been to the same concert It was pretty wild and as you said - very loud. I still have ringing in one ear...Shame they didnt play Blood on our hands
    Last edited by decadent; 10-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Saw them tonight in Manchester... fucking awesome. Great setlist, but they swapped out my personal fave "Nothin' Left" for "Dead Womb" on fan request... on the plus side, "Dead Womb"... really intense gig, great stuff. Support were awesome too, Toronto band called "Greys"

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Cannot believe it took me this long to check these guys out cause' I'm loving everything they have to offer so far. I checked out their new album first, and it pulled me in fast.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I just saw DFA on Saturday night in Philly (Union Transfer). It was the best live show I have seen in a while. Hard to believe that all that noise comes from only 2 people. I cannot recommend them enough. Funny too, because I was relatively nonplussed when they opened for NIN back in 2005.

My personal highlight was hearing them close the show with "The Physical World". Awesome song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Somehow I was living under a rock and didn't even know that a new album was out until about a week ago. I've been listening to it almost every day since. This is definitely one of my favorite albums of the year.