Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They don't make open world games anymore... too much work for them I guess. HD and all. I call laziness. Hence the lack of world in XIII.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Hit the nail on the head on that one...

On a related note, I think I'm gonna give XIII another spin this week. I feel like I should finish what I started on XIII before I start working backwards through the other FF games I haven't even played.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In XIII-2, though, they had actually incorporated actual towns. A much, much needed touch that XIII was missing. The story of course was weak, but at least you can back-travel to places. Academia was pretty awesome looking. The graphics lacked, but in terms of gameplay, it might have been slightly better (not counting the monsters joining your party, I hated that).

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I really miss playing any game by this franchise. I'm thinking about getting Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII again. And it's like I sort of just forgot about Final Fantasy, as this is also an old question about the franchise, but was there really that big of a division with the fan-base when it came to Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII? Have there been any other splits since then? If I remembered correctly, there were also very mixed reviews and opinions over Final Fantasy IX too.

I also thought that this song was worth posting here. It only goes up to Final Fantasy X since it was made in 2002.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58184

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I really miss playing any game by this franchise. I'm thinking about getting Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII again. And it's like I sort of just forgot about Final Fantasy, as this is also an old question about the franchise, but was there really that big of a division with the fan-base when it came to Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII? Have there been any other splits since then? If I remembered correctly, there were also very mixed reviews and opinions over Final Fantasy IX too.

I also thought that this song was worth posting here. It only goes up to Final Fantasy X since it was made in 2002.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58184
    I don't think, in hindsight there was much division between 6 + 7... other than 7 'betraying' the Nintendo brand, which I'm sure ruffled a few people for no-good reason. 7 brought so many new players and fans that its hard to not at least appreciate for making RPGs one of the biggest genres for a few years. I think 9 was more overlooked than anything else as it launched after the PS2 came out and everyone was playing... Timesplitters? or wanting The Matrix on DVD... But yeah.. I think the big 'splits' were the PS2 era 10, 10-2, 11 and 12.. More than anything thats were the franchise actually became a bit more experimental with the combat systems, the dropping and adding of 'staple' features, and for one thing 11 is an MMO. Then there is the love-it-or-hate-in 13 series.. Maybe we'll look back with a bit of hindsight and cut through the blind fan-hate/love.. I definitely think Squenix has been at least creative with the gameplay mechanics, even if stories and characters have failed to resonate as strongly as they used to.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I still need to finish VI...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It obviously seems just right to post the following URLs here.

http://www.ffshrine.org/ - The home page.

http://forums.ffshrine.org/ - The forums.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, I really liked the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-3. Too bad the people who didn't like the previous two might not check this out, even though it's a completely different game.

The plot is still silly and mostly nonsensical though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I liked the demo as well. I'll be picking this up, eventually.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

I never really got into X-2, but I put in close to 200 hours or more on X. I have always hated that I never got to play the international versions, as the hardest enemies in the game are left out of the NA version, so this is going to be a super fantastic treat for me. Can't wait to fight Penance.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well, I really liked the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-3. Too bad the people who didn't like the previous two might not check this out, even though it's a completely different game.

The plot is still silly and mostly nonsensical though.
    I downloaded it, yet to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I liked the demo as well. I'll be picking this up, eventually.
    Same, I have the other XIII games.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeeeeah.. I downloaded it.. but while I thought the battle system had legs... I just sat there thinking 'this really is not for me'... Its a niche game for a niche audience, and I hope it was heap for them to make because its not going to make big waves. I've said it before I stuck with XIII as the story was OK, the characters dull and the the combat great, but I wouldn't do it again.
    The little I played of FF14RR actually felt more 'Final Fantasy' than any of the 13 games, I just don't want to worry about the monthly fee right now. I just don't know who they are aiming their games at anymore.. It's like they want to be these huge Uncharted/COD experiences with battle systems tacked on which, for fear of being 'boring' get ridiculously convoluted.. yet appeal try to fans of the series who are now late twenties, 30s and even 40s... It all just a bit messy and confusing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really hoping XV saves it. It looks like it could.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I get why XIII lacks to people but I actually enjoy the characters and world of this portion of the franchise. It's a bit long winded perhaps and sometimes linear but it is fun for me anyways. I just got done with the Lightning Returns demo and the battle system tweaks to a more hack and slash style yet with classic JRPG elements is a nice touch. I enjoyed it. I wanted this game when I made the (XIII) thread months ago and still do but unfortunately, might have to wait a bit to get it due to finances. However, XIII-2 dropped in price quick and I was able to get this about 3 months after its release by getting it on sale for 19.99 at Best Buy:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I enjoy the XIII games as well. Great story, although, it could get kinda convoluted or vague at the time. The whole thing between Fal Cie and L'cie is pretty messed up, and adds a pretty cool dymamic. Caius' story in XIII-2 was pretty cool to me as well. I might hold off a bit for the new one (financial reasons as well), but I'll definitely be picking the new one up much sooner than later.

In the meantime, I'm replaying the first two of the XIII series.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Interesting seeing this topic here, I just Finsihed Fianl Fantasy 3 (North America SNES version) last night for the first time in about a decade (if not longer). I started a file 2 sundays ago, so it took literally about 2 weeks of on and off place (couple hours a day). I didn't think I had it in me to play and finish an RPG again at my age, but that was fun. I couldn't sit there and play RPG's all day long now, just too busy. But durning the winter I tend to play alot more games, since there isn't a whole lot else to do.

FF 3/6 is probably my favourite of the series. I played everyone all the way up to 10, but then they lost me after that. A few years ago, I attempted to get into the last one that was released for the PS3 and 360... I forget what that one was called, shows how much I paid attention to it... 13? Either way, it was such a drastic departure from the FF games that I knew, I played it for maybe 3-4 hours, and turned around and sold it on craigslist the very next day to get my money back. I blind bought the game on day 1 based on the Final Fantasy name assuming it was be amazing, boy was I wrong.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I still hate seeing Final Fantasy on an Xbox console. I always enjoyed the XIII world a lot and the story it holds. I really do not understand how reviewers say that the story has been confusing from XIII-2 and so on.. it seems to be very coherent and interesting to me. I actually loved XIII-2.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I still hate seeing Final Fantasy on an Xbox console. I always enjoyed the XIII world a lot and the story it holds. I really do not understand how reviewers say that the story has been confusing from XIII-2 and so on.. it seems to be very coherent and interesting to me. I actually loved XIII-2.
    Sorry my photo riled you up, mate.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Sorry my photo riled you up, mate.
    You son of a bitch (Arnold Voice) . I have become accustomed to it.. but I refuse to play an FF game on Xbox. When I first played XIII on the box... it just didn't feel right at all. But it was good that more gamers got to play it on another console.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Fair play Squeenix.. this is good:

Shame about that Android remake of 6 eh?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Shame about that Android remake of 6 eh?
    If it's anything like the remake of 5, count me out. The look of the character sprites is so awful it actually spoils the game. I don't need to ruin my nostalgic appreciation for FF6 by playing some pastel cheap looking version of it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I bought (but still haven't touched...) the 3D remake version of FFIV for my Android phone a while back. Never had the chance to play it when I had a DS, and it seems like there is enough added content to make it worth the buy.

I'm actually looking forward to playing Lightning Returns. FFXIII-2 was highly addictive and re-sold me on the XIII format.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to playing Lightning Returns. FFXIII-2 was highly addictive and re-sold me on the XIII format.
    I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed XIII-2, even though I hated the story. I'm hoping this time they just throw out the time travel nonsense and get down to telling an interesting but simple story, since it's pretty apparent that they can't handle the complex/trippy/abstract stuff.

Judging from the demo though, Lightning Returns has the most potential of the XIII games as far as gameplay goes. If it's fleshed out and balanced properly, it could be amazing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Debating on whether or not to buy the game next week, or not. Enjoyed the demo though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I finished Final Fantasy 8 on steam last night. Nice to revisit it, I hope 9 follows at some point. XIII was pretty poor in my opinion and I have no interest in the new one either.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'd be pretty surprised if 9 turned up as 7 and 8 were both originally released on PC way back, and the steam ports are just versions or those. Not to say it won't though. Tempted to see if I can install 7 with a few of the high res mods that are floating around.. would love to see 8 treated with such care too but I'm not aware of any for that one..

Been playing 6 on the Vita... it must be the 8th or 9th time I've started it.. I alway play for around 15 hours, then forget where i'm going and start again...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, this game is going to require multiple playthroughs. Very reliant on side quests, this time around. Some of these quests though (main quest included) are pretty tedious. "Find four numbers on random walls throughout the town". Yeah... I'm already on day 4, and I don't feel like I've really scratched the surface with the main story, and probably won't this time around.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just picked up my copy of 13-3, but my expectations have been significantly lowered by some of the reviews I've been seeing. The general consensus seems to be that the plot is more convoluted gibberish, and the timer is a bummer.

I've been really apprehensive about the clock/timer aspect. Part of what I like about rpgs is the freedom to explore. The idea of throwing a Dead Rising 2 style clock on an RPG just seems like a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's not the clock that's bothering me. It's the tedious quests and constant backtracking, while being timed, that's annoying me. As for the story, so far, it seems almost nonexistent.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I knew about the timer clock but hearing how it cuts your playtime endeavors down makes it a shittier addition, not looking forward to it when I do buy it.