Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Podcasts have changed my life. I've really gotten into them over the last year and a half or so. Really helps with my commute and it's nice to listen to something other than music every once in a while.

Stuff I love:
    The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project
    Before You Were Funny
    Call Chelsea Peretti
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Harmontown
    How Did This Get Made?
    James Bonding
    The Indoor Kids
    The Nerdist
    Nocturnal Emotions
    Professor Blastoff
    Steve Agee: Uhhh
    Superego
    This Feels Terrible

The latest thing I'm loving is U Talkin' U2 To Me with Scott Aukerman and Adam Scott. It's a U2 podcast, but they hardly talk about U2 and mostly just do bits. It's great. Will have to check out some of the other podcasts mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @blackholesun You should check out BondCast if you dig James Bonding. http://www.shotglassdigital.com/artist/bondcast/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @blackholesun You should check out BondCast if you dig James Bonding. http://www.shotglassdigital.com/artist/bondcast/
    Will do, especially since I just caught up to the latest James Bonding episode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tell 'Em Steve Dave is droppping episode 200 this week. Should be awesome.

Does anyone know where you can download Harmontown? I don't have itunes and don't want to stream it from the site but they look like the only two options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woah. Just listened to Henry Rollins' interview on WTF. Intense.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Give the Gentlemen's Guide to Midnight Cinema a try if you would like to hear a podcast about (mostly)obscure genre films ranging from Italian giallos, martial arts, grindhouse, horror, and B-action movies. The two hosts are old friends and the banter is fun and easy. The B-action movie reviews are a particular highlight. Even if I've never seen some of the movies or want to see them, they make them interesting to hear about. http://ggtmc.com/

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Harmontown is the best!

I also am a regular listener to WTF and The Art Of Wrestling. Nerdist, This Feels Terrible and Wrestling With Depression are occasional downloads (depends who the guests are).
    Last edited by Swykk; 09-24-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Harmontown is the best!

I also am a regular listener to WTF and The Art Of Wrestling. Nerdist, This Feels Terrible and Wrestling With Depression are occasional downloads (depends who the guests are).
    I just bought tickets to see the Harmontown movie and live podcast right after! I'm so excited!

Podcasts have made my commute immensely better.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Your moms house podcast is my current fave!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I just bought tickets to see the Harmontown movie and live podcast right after! I'm so excited!

Podcasts have made my commute immensely better.

They're doing one in Chicago at my favorite theater, The Music Box, but there's no info yet on tickets. Hope I get to go!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hello Internet, with CGP Grey and Brady Haran, is the only podcast that I'll absolutely swear by. I've been listening since it started earlier this year, and good lord, every episode has been fantastic.

Other ones are more specific in their scope - Wired's Gadget Lab Podcast, Less than Live with Kate Leth (comics, comics, comics), and The Dex with the YouTube channel of the same name (competitive Pokemon - yeah, I know, give me a wedgie or whatever).

I also used to listen to the Ars Technicast back when that was still a thing, and, of course, Underneath it All, whenever that comes back. Get to it, people. (It's not like you all have lives or careers or anything, riiiiiiight? )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Podcasts are good to listen to in the car, eating lunch, working out, gardening, doing something otherwise mindless, etc.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Catching up on the Rooster Teeth Podcast (formerly Drunk Tank) has saved my sanity after starting a new job last week, with a 1+ hour drive each way. Plus listening on and off throughout the workday really helps it go quicker.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Hello Internet, with CGP Grey and Brady Haran, is the only podcast that I'll absolutely swear by. I've been listening since it started earlier this year, and good lord, every episode has been fantastic.

Other ones are more specific in their scope - Wired's Gadget Lab Podcast, Less than Live with Kate Leth (comics, comics, comics), and The Dex with the YouTube channel of the same name (competitive Pokemon - yeah, I know, give me a wedgie or whatever).

I also used to listen to the Ars Technicast back when that was still a thing, and, of course, Underneath it All, whenever that comes back. Get to it, people. (It's not like you all have lives or careers or anything, riiiiiiight? )
    Oooh, I listen to Less Than Live, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good batch of podcasts lately. WTF with Dr. Drew was excellent, serious thought-provoking, but I'm a slight psych nerd to start with, and last week's Bill Scheft was great. Recent Nerdists with Bob Odenkirk and Clive Barker and were both worth listening to. And Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk Radio covered the physics of super powers -- can Superman survive a black hole, how would Thor's transportation bridge work, etc. Good listening.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I assume a good number of y'all listened to Serial? Just concluded today. I won't say anything else, because spoilers, but even if Serial was overhyped, it was still exciting and brought podcasts one step closer to the mainstream.

Exciting time for podcasts.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Really liked the latest WTF with Adam Goldberg.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Louie CK one he posted from 2010 was also great, and the interview with Allie Broosh from Hyperbole and a Half.. aww heck.. I'm just a big fan of WTF..
    Lately I've been on the retro gaming podcasts. Back in My Play is pretty good, as is the staple Retronauts. Also Daft Souls is a good UK based podcast, lots of indie games and such, plus most of the people are the same guys who do Shut Up and Sit Down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    this Joe Rogan podcast w/ Randall Carlson was really good

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I listen to Star Talk Radio with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and There's No Such Thing as a Fish which is the researchers for a UK show called QI. Basically it's all about weird and surprising facts. Very funny and enlightening, worth seeking out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Latest podcast I've really dug deep into is The Worst Idea of All Time. 2 guys watch the movie Grown Ups 2 once a week for a year. They are almost done. It's interesting to see what (bad) repetition does to the psyche, but it's also hilarious.

Also digging I Was There Too. Features people with minor parts in major scenes/movies in cinema history. The most recent episode had members of the bus in Speed. So funny/charming listening to everyone's recollection of shooting the movie. You really get a sense of what it is like to work in Hollywood when you aren't a huge star.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've been binge listening to Harmontown lately, in reverse order so the D&D sessions are like long form drunken Memento. Otherwise its good to have The Bugle back and semi-regular, alway great to hear John Oliver natter on about the world.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    shameless plug alert to say that me an my friend have started a gaming podcast, because the world was obviously begging for more 30 something white male opinions about videogames. Regardless we are on itunes and our simple website is here: www.allthefeels.co.uk

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    These are my mainstays:

Real Ghost Stories Online - daily podcast where they read out "true" ghost stories. It's fun and the hosts are likeable.
    The Hysteria Continues - bi-weekly (normally) show dedicated to horror movies, mostly slasher movies but general horror movies are discussed as well. Lots of great banter on this, highly recommended even if you're not a big fan of horror because the hosts are hilarious.
    The X-Files Files - downloading as I go along with my rewatch, interesting enough.
    Voices in the Static - Silent Hill podcast, but I'm a bit behind with it.
    Random Trek - discussion of a random episode of Star Trek. This is my new bedtime podcast because there's just something about the guy's voice that just makes me relax, l0lz.
    The Clive Barker Podcast - about... Clive Barker. Only recommended if you're a fan, the hosts need to work on being more "broadcast friendly".
    Stuff You Should Know - just started in the last two weeks. Quite interesting.
    Welcome To Night Vale - I'm so behind with this. I haven't listened in months.
    The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast - discusses each story, I'm listening along as I read each one. It's okay but the hosts can be slightly irritating at times.

Gave up on:
    Darkness Radio - daily paranormal show. It's not awful, but it's three hours EVERY DAY and that's just too much.
    Scream Queenz - horror discussion but the host is so fucking awful that I gave up. Gurl, lay off the coke before recording.
    Silver Screen Queens - movie review show that was recommended to me but it's just these two Aussie girls screeching over each other for thirty minutes and is just headache inducingly awful.

Oh, and if you have an iOS device and listen to a lot of podcasts, I recommend getting the Overcast app - specifically the paid version. The advanced speed functions are a godsend.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I'm obsessed with podcasts these days. Probably why I haven't been posting here in awhile. I listened to Serial, both seasons and all these offshoots: crime writers on as well as Task and Purpose. You Must Remember This and the I dork out on Diane Rehm. I just downloading them and binge listen on long flights. I've been traveling a lot....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Main:
    -Hour of Goon (Hosted by Jeordie White and Fred Sablan, with guests most weeks. Josh Freese episode is a blast)
    -Force Cult (Star Wars podcast, also has Jeordie. It's ok)
    -Still Untitled (Adam Savage of Mythbusters)
    -The Journal (Kevin Rose, but not focused on tech stuff)
    -The Blerg (mobile tech & development)
    -MVP (tech products)
    -Tangentially Speaking (conversations with random people, who live(d) fucked up, or interesting lives. Also its better sub podcast from the same feed: TOMA, where the host tells his insane life story - TOMA is *highly* recommended when you get past his long winded intro, only 15 episodes for now)
    -Half Hour Happy Hour (Alex Albrecht, a spiritual successor to Diggnation)
    -xda developers podcast (mobile tech)
    -real ghost stories online (thx @slave2thewage , replaced darkness radio which was rapidly going downhill last year... So much filler)
    -Jim Harold's Campfire (paranormal)
    -Night Attack (nonsense/bullshit comedy, topics about the "best and the worst of the Internet", Brian Brushwood if you already know who he is from other stuff.)

Tried not to overlap from my post from a couple years ago here. Ditched a few of those since
    Last edited by blassster; 05-18-2016 at 10:02 PM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I have to say, I don't know how I would get through my workday without podcasts. I listen to them from the moment I get here until the moment I go home. And I keep discovering new ones, there's just an amazing variety of free entertainment out there, blows my mind.

My regulars:

-Kevin and Bean
    Morning show in Los Angeles, I used to listen to them on my commute when I lived there. Thank God for the internet.

-Snap Judgment
    Storytelling podcast, just fantastic. They've had stories that have genuinely had my heart racing.

-This American Life
    I could never get into this show previously, but gave it another chance a few months ago and holy CRAP have I been missing out all these years. I have fallen in love with storytelling podcasts and this one is probably the best I've heard.

-The Moth
    Live storytelling. The stories are hit and miss but the good ones are really good.

-Citizen Radio
    My daily dose of sanity, a political show from the far, far left.

-The Jimmy Dore Show
    Another political podcast, used to be so much better but I still enjoy it. He's not funny at ALL and thinks he's hilarious, but if you can get past that it's an informative show with some interesting discussions.

-How To Be A Girl
    This one's close to my heart. A podcast from the mother of a transgender child. She posts episodes very sporadically, but they're almost always fantastic, and there are a lot of episodes in their archive. Her most recent episode, which centered on the bathroom issue, and specifically a law that's under consideration in her state barring trans people from using the bathroom that matches their gender, was absolutely heartbreaking and enthralling. Just brilliant stuff.

-Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
    Very amusing quiz show from NPR

Stuff I occasionally listen to:

-WTF
    I can't stand Marc Maron but when he has a good guest on I will listen.

-Nerdist
    SO hit and miss, but the good episodes are really good. Again, depends on which guest they have on.

-Radiolab
    This show is very hit and miss, but there are some really fantastic episodes here and there.

Stuff I am just starting to get into or want to try:

-Bullseye
    Another show I gave up on many years ago but am now giving another shot after hearing a really good episode on the radio a couple days ago.

-Star Talk
    I love Neil deGrasse Tyson yet have never actually sat down and listened to a whole episode. That will change today.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Been frantically listening to Hour of Goon, X Files podcasts (Kumail Nanjiani's and Science Fiction Film podcast subsidiary) and the Last Podcast on the Left while I'm at work.

If you love ghosts, ufos/aliens, serial killer studies, hauntings, hilarious bullshit and off the wall shit you MUST listen to the Last Podcast on the Left. You'll thank me later.

I'll take any suggestions similar!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Updated list:

I'm subscribed to Harmontown, Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling, Your Mom's House, and Art Of Wrestling.

Depending on the guests, I'll listen to episodes of Uhhhh, WTF, Joe Rogan Experience, and Hour Of Goon.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I got into podcasts probably in the last two years which means my reading time is severely shortened.

Some of the usual suspects, but I'm also partial to True Crime podcasts. There are some pretty bad ones and some really good ones too.

Politics/News:
    NPR Politics Podcast
    The Daily from NYT
    Reveal - Center for Investigative Reporting (I gave these folks some of my end of year charitable contributions - was so tired of the fake news noise - this is not fake news)
    The Intercepted
    Reply All
    On The Media

Current Events:
    Serial
    S-Town
    Missing Richard Simmons
    Civics 101- this one is short 10-15 minute lessons on a single topic.
    1A - This was what replaced Diane Rehm. Topics a not all politics.
    Military Justice - this came out of another podcast I got turned on to called Task and Purpose Radio which did a bunch of episodes on Beau Burgdahl around the same time Serial did their season on him. Interesting inside view, give you a deeper understanding on how the system works and probably needs reforming. Also his voice is awwwwesome.

Pop Culture/True Crime - yes, the guilty pleasures that keep me from true brain shrinkage watching Dancing With The Stars
    Crime Writers On - I blame it all on these 4 folks who talk about other podcasts. They are funny and insightful - and from New Hampshire
    Real Crime Profile - real former FBI profilers (one of them writes for Criminal Minds now). They analysis crime stories with victimology and profiling. Their episodes on Reeva Steenkamp were really interesting. They don't even like to mention the murderer's name -all about the victim. Oscar Pistorius might sound more familiar to you.
    Missing and Murdered - Who Killed Alberta Williams - Canadian.Well written.
    Off Shore - really compelling. All about Hawaii.
    Up and Vanished - this one should have been terrible, doc filmmaker decides to find a 10 year old unsolved missing person to investigate. Shakes enough trees and omg, mystery solved.
    Breakdown - baby dies in a hot car, break down all around
    Accused - really well produced local reporting
    In The Dark - same
    Undisclosed - sort of a spin off from Serial, first with Aydnan Said then another kid wrongly convicted. Don't listen to unless you can get down in the weeds with the legal talk
    Someone Knows Something - my critic friends call this one Noone knows Nothing - it's Canadian, and great foley so worth it to me.
    You Must Remember This - most of you won't but if you have any interest in old Hollywood, they are ok episodes. Especially the ones about Charles Manson.
    Detective
    Criminal
    Intrigue: Murder in the Lucky Holiday Hotel - recent murder that I remember reading about in the paper. Intriguing and in CHINA.

Listing all these out shows me I'm spending way too much time with earphones on.