Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

seeing that cassette tapes are making a slow come back with more and more newer music coming out on tape, and older material getting re-pressed to tape i thought that cassette collectors should have their own thread.

for a few years and until very recently it was by far the cheapest way to buy a new album; you could either spend 9-12.99 on iTunes, or spend 5-9.99 and get a cassette w/ a download code so it seemed like a no brainer. if new album preorders are any indication it definately doesn't look like the cassettes are going away any time soon!

Last edited by hologram parade; 03-31-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    hell yeah! I got back to collectiong tapes just recently and frankly for me its the most rewarding yet rather cheap way of buying some merch or memorabilia. The most expensive one was 9 dollars recently and it came with a download code for the album as well and in a neat packaging.

I'll post some pictures once I'm home. Since I was heavily seeing shows from post-punk, post-rock etc I gathered some sweet tapes that are already out of print.

Is there a place where they list new releases? I can't seem to get an overview of what's coming out or not.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I find that places like Mount Analog (USA) or Boomkat (UK) are great for finding new music on cassettes. Ive also had a lot of luck through Bandcamp - I just ordered a LE screen printed version of the new LCD album on cassette for $12 I think. Prices are sadly going up for new albums (13$ for the new Beck album) even compared to 2 years ago. Meanwhile SubPop has been re-pressing a lot of their past catalog to cassette for 6-8$

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Oh sweet,thanks for the SubPop tip! Soundgarden and Nirvana? Nice! Just bought all three of Faster John Misty... Sadly rather regular editions and no extended artwork or some nice cardboard etc.

Guess I need to check discogs or keep a keen eye on things.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I got a re-release of the Ghost demo cassette tape. That's it.

This is a format I have absolutely zero interest in.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    This is a format I have absolutely zero interest in.
    this thread is for fans - i have Zero interest in this type of post - stick to the vinyl thread

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    this thread is for fans - i have Zero interest in this type of post - stick to the vinyl thread
    I contributed to the thread. I stayed on topic stating what I had but threw in my two cents. I had no reason to go back to the thread here until you quoted me.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Do I get to play? Haha. Got some Beatles and Pink Floyd 8-tracks also.

And yeah, a bunch of NIN cassettes + Closure (thanks @jessamineny for all of these!)
    Last edited by botley; 09-06-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just bought the limited cassette version of the Rez Infinite - Area X soundtrack. It joins the vinyl soundtrack for Rez Infinite. I may never listen to either of them but they're cool to have.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my last band put out our second album on nickelodeon orange cassette

most of the tapes i have are NIN or releases by Sige records (mamiffer, mostly). i have an affinity for tapes because i made SO MANY mixtapes as a kid/teenager. i need to replace the band for the motor in my yamaha deck because it's been running slow (scared me to death when i tried to play my band's album and thought they had dubbed the tapes improperly).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Newest addition to the collection and I could not be happier!

Glacial Dancehall!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Death Grips

Vangelis
    Last edited by hologram parade; 10-14-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Last cassette tape I bought was Van Halen 3 in 1998 at HMV.

I get why people dig vinyl, but cassette tapes? Other than nostalgia, why?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Last cassette tape I bought was Van Halen 3 in 1998 at HMV.

It's mainly nostalgia but as stated above I recently got heavily into post-rock, post-punk stuff and visited some festivals and shows the last months and most of them got some really pretty cardboard sleeve tapes up there which are just neat little things for your collection. I won't buy any standard case tapes but as soon as there is a nice packaging of music that I like I'll gladly spent a few bucks on these. And that's the second reason as stated above by me: they are usually really cheap and make some nice memorabilia after a show instead of a shitty t-shirt that I won't be wearing anyway.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    posts above address this...

cheapest way to buy some new, and older albums (cheaper than digital), portable analog sound, format exclusives (it goes beyond +appendage, people!)

you could easily spend $30-60 on soundtrack reissues from the 80s/90s or you could spend under $10 and get it on cassette - seems like a no brainer, especially for people without a lot of money to spend on music

take it from Reznor (background world outro/burning bright) who has said that tobacco’s latest album was album of the year + that he’s ahead of the game, and brought him on to open shows - all of his music is made on cassettes, and it’s the preferred way you listen to his albums

also, Cortini has been using cassettes for nin Live more and more since 2013

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've got a ton of tapes. I've never really stopped buying them, though I did switch to cd's for a number of years. I've bought more tapes in the last 3 years due to the cassette culture resurgence thing. On a good quality deck, they can sound quite good though most pre recorded tapes are normal bias.

I still record my own music using a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and chrome tapes.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've heard that you can't fully appreciate Hangin' Tough by The New Kids On The Block unless you listen to it on cassette tape, on a ghetto blaster, preferably one with the right side blown out. There's just something about pushing play, watching the two tape reels turn while hearing the first notes of "You Got It (The Right Stuff)."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    posts above address this...

cheapest way to buy some new, and older albums (cheaper than digital), portable analog sound, format exclusives (it goes beyond +appendage, people!)

you could easily spend $30-60 on soundtrack reissues from the 80s/90s or you could spend under $10 and get it on cassette - seems like a no brainer, especially for people without a lot of money to spend on music

take it from Reznor (background world outro/burning bright) who has said that tobacco’s latest album was album of the year + that he’s ahead of the game, and brought him on to open shows - all of his music is made on cassettes, and it’s the preferred way you listen to his albums

also, Cortini has been using cassettes for nin Live more and more since 2013
    That's one thing that's great about youtube, tons of rare shit you woudn't want to buy is on there that you can convert to MP3s.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That's one thing that's great about youtube, tons of rare shit you woudn't want to buy is on there that you can convert to MP3s.
    you and space suicide are boring

This thread is for fans of cassettes

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    you and space suicide are boring

This thread is for fans of cassettes
    I'll tell you what--kids today will never experience the joy of making a mix tape--painstakingly picking out your favorite songs from CDs and other tapes or the radio, adding bits of dialog from movies, making illustrations, it was fun. It took forever, but it made it personal and something to hold on to.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    First two cassettes!

"Live at St. Faith's Anglican Church" by Rhythm of Cruelty
    "Soft Ions" by Pseudo Laboratories

(and finally I bought the Bandcamp WAVs of them... all is good in the world)
    Last edited by MrLobster; 01-05-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I've heard that you can't fully appreciate Hangin' Tough by The New Kids On The Block unless you listen to it on cassette tape, on a ghetto blaster, preferably one with the right side blown out. There's just something about pushing play, watching the two tape reels turn while hearing the first notes of "You Got It (The Right Stuff)."
    Reading this somehow triggered a powerful flashback in me, akin to sticking a tab of acid under my tongue and recounting a Vietnam war skirmish, except in it I was 5 years old and wearing Osh Kosh overalls in the back seat of my parents' Ford Taurus.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have a handful of tapes kicking around, mostly obscure 80s demos from italian/french bands, but also some newer releases from synth/post-punk bands. my band the harrow's first release was a cassette, too.

i did make a 120 minute mixtape a few years back that i still play often, and i enjoy listening to some of my old radio shows from time to time. i also have three original major label tapes- a wire record, new order's movement, and the first prick album, all three which i do play from time to time, but i don't buy older albums on cassette, as tempting/nostalgic as it may be some time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Alessandro Cortini - Avanti

Visible Cloaks - Translations

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I got a turntable for Christmas and it has a cassette player with it. Weirdly enough I got into tapes quite a bit during the late-90's/early 2000's. Me and my brother made dubs of what we had on CD's and I was determined to make the ultimate compilation of everything I had to that point. Wish I knew where they were, probably threw them out later on.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I got a turntable for Christmas and it has a cassette player with it. Weirdly enough I got into tapes quite a bit during the late-90's/early 2000's. Me and my brother made dubs of what we had on CD's and I was determined to make the ultimate compilation of everything I had to that point. Wish I knew where they were, probably threw them out later on.
    please tell me it's not a crosely :| those are terrible for your records

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nope, good old Victrola

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I found Fixed at the bottom of my drawer next to some cut-out Power Of The Force Star Wars character cards.

Which one of you goddamn weirdos wants it

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadaloo View Post
    i found fixed at the bottom of my drawer next to some cut-out power of the force star wars character cards.

Which one of you goddamn weirdos wants it :d
    me me me me me

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Spoken for then