Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1427

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I recently bought cheap heart rate box to use with my occasional sporting activities, and I've got an idea - what my heart is doing while listening to music? :-) So yesterday evening at 11:00 pm I started logging my "exercise" and now created little graph with the results - obviously I like How long and The loop closes. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x02rw19aif...-optimized.png (graph image)
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/187755697/4143195 (original Endomondo "workout")

I listen to music only about 1 to 4 times a week, but it's deep focused single-task "job" with zero distractions, preferably when it's dark outside already and sadly mostly with headphones now (I'm away from nice stereo at home for some time), almost no movement except uncontrollable moving of a leg or two to rhythm and playing some virtual instruments with fingers. :-)

So, no breakthrough discoveries here, but maybe interesting enough to share or smile on. :-)

PS: Going to measure my HR (heart rate) in about a hour during Gran Turismo 5 online race. ;-)

Edit: This Welcome Oblivion version is a personal mix with An Omen EP and two extra tracks, inspired by fellow ETS member.
    Last edited by Substance242; 05-10-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Gave this another spin and I'm still not sold on it. The Beats are alright and I'm beginning to understand how acts like Massive Attack stood as an influence for HTDA. Yet, listening to Mezzanine once again, made Welcome Oblivion pale in comparison. I can't really put my finger on it 'though. It's something in the way those cheesy choruses are paired with not exactly the greatest of lyrics. The underlying seriousness, also, is rather annoying. I guess having a guy, whose job solely lies on the artwork side, leads to all kinds of ridiculousness like those_ fucking_ things_ _ _. Just picture them arranging meetings and dinners to plan this stuff. Rofl.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Just listened to the album for the first time and had to listen a second immediately. It's fucking great. Not sure why some people dislike it.

The only track which doesn't quite hit the spot for me is How long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The facepalm button just isn't strong enough
    Actually he really did come back haunted....(ba dum tshhhhhhh)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Anyone else was looking on cover art and thinking: is it a dude? or a chick? or a dude? or a chick? ugh!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    how long is naff and the harmonies remind me of mama by the spice girls
    Damn, wish I hadn't read this post!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The way they sing "I hear the warnings on the wing" sounds more or less the same as Nash singing "I can see clearly now the rain -", listen to the two back to back
    It is so clear that I tweeted HTDA the day it came out warning them of a likely lawsuit for plagiarism...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just came here to say, how good "Unintended Consequences" is. Too bad the rest of the album is not on par. The fact it's even missing on the official version is telling, too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Just came here to say, how good "Unintended Consequences" is. Too bad the rest of the album is not on par. The fact it's even missing on the official version is telling, too.
    Telling of what?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    well, yeah, please forgive my phrasing as it came off a little arrogant. point being: i dont like the album. i like the song. imo, the album would have been a lot better and not as bloated if vocals were kept to a minimum while the beats were as interesting as this one. also, 9 or 10 songs would have been enough. just my 2 c.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the track, but as someone who has collected every bit of music that Trent has been involved with that I can and who's also a BIG instrumental fan, I honestly didn't have much interest in finding it through *ahem* alternative means. It's a decent track, but it's definitely a filler track. To be honest, the only track I'd remove from the album is Hallowed Ground. It's a nice track, but it goes on a little too long, and The Loop Closes feels more like a proper ending to the album.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    well, yeah, please forgive my phrasing as it came off a little arrogant. point being: i dont like the album. i like the song. imo, the album would have been a lot better and not as bloated if vocals were kept to a minimum while the beats were as interesting as this one. also, 9 or 10 songs would have been enough. just my 2 c.
    man, I could not feel more differently than you. I wish there were 1-2 more vocal tracks on the album; although I do think the instrumentals on the vinyl are better than the instrumentals on the normal album.

that said, this album continues to impress me. I popped in the vinyl yesterday and think the sound design is stunning. gorgeous work. between this and the QOTSA album, this year has been great.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 06-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yeah, Trent and Atticus know what they're doing, no doubt. It's just... the whole thing kind of sounds posed to me. Posed and bloated. I think I see, what they were trying to do. But, ultimately, the album feels like it's pregnant with a meaning that's not there. It's too cliché and generic... like: "the more we change..." wait for it... "everything stays the same". Come on, man.
    It wouldn't bother me, weren't it for the seriousness, which lies underneath it all (no pun intended). Trent's like the Chris Nolan of rock music (or one of many): Technically, it can't get any better, but artistically it feels all over the place, bloated and takes itself waaaay too seriously. Like.. god damn you, have some fun already!
    Maybe that's why I liked The Slip so much. Because it just is. Not for the sake of proving a point or being the next big artistic statement.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, Trent and Atticus know what they're doing, no doubt. It's just... the whole thing kind of sounds posed to me. Posed and bloated. I think I see, what they were trying to do. But, ultimately, the album feels like it's pregnant with a meaning that's not there. It's too cliché and generic... like: "the more we change..." wait for it... "everything stays the same". Come on, man.
    It wouldn't bother me, weren't it for the seriousness, which lies underneath it all (no pun intended). Trent's like the Chris Nolan of rock music (or one of many): Technically, it can't get any better, but artistically it feels all over the place, bloated and takes itself waaaay too seriously. Like.. god damn you, have some fun already!
    Maybe that's why I liked The Slip so much. Because it just is. Not for the sake of proving a point or being the next big artistic statement.
    I think that's a fair comparison in a few ways. I think culturally, we've sort of hit the zietgeist of wanting things to be fun and looser again -- it comes and goes in cycles. and HTDA is most definitely not fun or loose (at least, this album)... this is a profoundly self-serious album lyrically. (Though the 'lyrics' to "The Loop Closes" I find so silly I must assume they were playful(?).)

But I think musically there's quite a bit of playfulness going on; I find it hard not to listen to "And The Sky Began to Scream" without feeling a sort of rush of aural discovery that they probably had when they made the track... They set out to capture some sort of Videodrome-vibe and I think on certain songs they knocked it right out of the park.

So, I get what you're saying. I guess I've really stopped expecting much of lyrics generally -- which makes it all the more awesome when some lyrics come around that blow me away (QOTSA, for example).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I agree... musically, this is good stuff. "And The Sky Began To Scream"'s beat kicks ass. The album just doesn't seem to work as a whole for me. For reasons already explained. But you raise some interesting points there, with the zeitgeist and Videodrome comparison(s). Haven't thought about it that way, yet.

Oh, and I'm loving the new QOTSA as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've always felt like I've had to love NIN in spite of it taking itself too seriously, not because it takes itself too seriously. This is more of the same, it just doesn't work as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

I don't tend to listen to lyrics much (which at least means I've never disliked "where is everybody") but listening to that Sirius interview gave me the context to get what they're going on about in WO, and I'm looking forward to relistening to it with that in mind.

Edit: I thought inception was Nolan having fun. Which album would be TR's inception? I'd probably say the social network.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I enjoyed the track, but as someone who has collected every bit of music that Trent has been involved with that I can and who's also a BIG instrumental fan, I honestly didn't have much interest in finding it through *ahem* alternative means. It's a decent track, but it's definitely a filler track. To be honest, the only track I'd remove from the album is Hallowed Ground. It's a nice track, but it goes on a little too long, and The Loop Closes feels more like a proper ending to the album.
    I can't comment on the vinyl-only tracks, but I have to disagree with you on Hallowed Ground. It's the perfect closer. I love the way the melody from the end of Ice Age is reprised right at the end. The Loop Closes is fantastic, but I think in terms of what they're doing conceptually in the narrative, it wouldn't work as a closing track.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally listened to this on vinyl today. sounded fantastic. i definitely think the last 1/3 of the album gets a little clunky, but i also still enjoy it as a whole.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I love the way the melody from the end of Ice Age is reprised right at the end [of Hallowed Ground].
    err, what?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The vocal melody, the wordless one. They're not exactly alike (the one in Ice Age has more fluctuations), but they sound similar enough for the one in Hallowed Ground to sound like a reprise.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    The vocal melody, the wordless one. They're not exactly alike (the one in Ice Age has more fluctuations), but they sound similar enough for the one in Hallowed Ground to sound like a reprise.
    TR or MQ said something about a reprise on the album somewhere in that Sirius interview, but I couldn't guess which it was. That could be it!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    do the official downloads have the BPM tags filled in? if so, can someone post the list?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, amazing call on that vocal melody reprise. That's exactly what's going on.

In retrospect, this album was exactly what we needed in between the movies scores and new NIN. It's fantastically intriguing. Favorites nowadays are On The Wing, Too Late All Gone, Recursive Self Improvement among others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed this album. And The Sky Began To Scream is my favorite.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    with all the talk about the 2 masters for hesitation marks, I was wondering if anyone's done an in-depth comparison of the mastering of welcome oblivion. is it closer to the audiophile mastering on HM or the standard? is the mastering of the white label vinyl cd different than the regular version?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    with all the talk about the 2 masters for hesitation marks, I was wondering if anyone's done an in-depth comparison of the mastering of welcome oblivion. is it closer to the audiophile mastering on HM or the standard? is the mastering of the white label vinyl cd different than the regular version?
    White label is the vinyl master, not the CD master I believe, but I'm not nerd enough to know the rest

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I love the album, but the last three or four songs almost sink it for me. It just runs too long at that point. Too much electronic soundscape-noodling going on. I wish the album had been a solid nine or ten tracks, with no overlap from the Omen EP.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything. 13-15 tracks is indeed generous; I'm not kicking Trent music out of bed anytime soon. I just think it would have worked better if they'd have chose not to end the record with three or four tracks that are basically instrumentals.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    White label is the vinyl master, not the CD master I believe, but I'm not nerd enough to know the rest
    I doubt that but I'd have to check to prove it one way or the other.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I love the album, but the last three or four songs almost sink it for me. It just runs too long at that point. Too much electronic soundscape-noodling going on. I wish the album had been a solid nine or ten tracks, with no overlap from the Omen EP.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything. 13-15 tracks is indeed generous; I'm not kicking Trent music out of bed anytime soon. I just think it would have worked better if they'd have chose not to end the record with three or four tracks that are basically instrumentals.
    I have no problem at all with We Fade Away (which does actually work quite well as the last lyric-based song) or The Loop Closes, but I get what you mean. Recursive Self-Improvement drags on for too long, and Hallowed Ground is very much going out with a whimper after the noisy buildup of The Loop Closes. I think they'd both work a lot better set to lyrics. The passages where Mariqueen's singing isn't buried under a mountain of effects are some of the best on the album, it'd be great to hear a bit more of that.