Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I present you with... a redubbing:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for getting rid of the watermark

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I feel like I could've seen Zack Morris and Screech in the audience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I present you with... a redubbing:
    That is sooo epic... it syncs up so well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can anybody post TR's tweet on this? I'm at work and can't access Twitter from here. THANX!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    ^ already did, previous page.

Here's the closure easter egg.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Ahhh, thanks! I can totally see that now, you're absolutely right! I'd even seen him in that shirt before plenty of times but I guess the few brief peeks we got having been obscured by the jacket and the watermark were throwing me off. Much obliged!

Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    I feel like I could've seen Zack Morris and Screech in the audience.
    Haha, I facebook-ed the video and one of my old high school buddies actually commented, "Jesus. It's like some kind of Saved By the Bell nightmare."

:)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks for uploading this, I really needed a laugh! I love the way he feels he owes everyone an explanation for it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Many thanks for this! What a great laugh this and the story behind this is Again, thank you very very much! I want to throw you some money for this.

Edit: PM'd
    Last edited by profane; 03-29-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I love the way he feels he owes everyone an explanation for it
    Classic damage control. "Oh, we did it to make fun of them!"

Riiiiight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I want Trent's t-shirt so bad. Googling "God Squad t-shirt" is... interesting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did NIN come on after New Kids on the Block or something??!!
    This looks exactly like the Dancefloor or a club I used to go to in England called The Hacienda, or The Mud Club in New York where all the New Wave, Synth bands used to play.*
    Love this because this environment looks like Pretty Hate Machine's natural setting....its more suited to this environment than a mosh pit with the exception of Head Like a Hole, the guitars did not really come in until 1990 after its release and it became a different thing.

This video does not shock me or anything...Was a wise decision to go on there in my opinion. Reach a different type of audience.
    I always dance like this when i listen to Down In It or the rest of PHM anyway so i dont see it as embarrassing at all! Its a beautiful relic.

I can imagine Corey Haim and Lara Flynn Boyle grinding each other to his tune back in the day....

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The best thing about this is girl dancing on the podium on the right in Closure version

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That's a good point about the calendar. However, any 1989 dates would be too early for Lee Mars (not to mention too early for NIN's popularity). I think Aug. 20, 1990, is the most likely broadcast date for this (taping date was likely a week or two in advance). As Trent mentioned in his tweets, they made a special trip to film it, and it doesn't sound like they were on tour at the time (contrary to my earlier supposition). They finished touring on Aug. 4, 1990, so this would fit that timeline.
    This also fits with the Kelly Ripa timeline. No site seems to have her "hosting" dates for Dance Party, but we do know she was working for All My Children by November of 1990.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    This looks exactly like the Dancefloor or a club I used to go to in England called The Hacienda
    man, pretty jealous you were there for the hacienda days...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Classic damage control. "Oh, we did it to make fun of them!"

Riiiiight.
    I have no reason to believe he was lying about that. Regardless of the nature of Pretty Hate Machine, Dance Party USA was DEFINITELY not the kind of venue they would go to under normal circumstances. Also, look at his reaction in the Closure video. Joke or not, he still seems to be a bit annoyed at being there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haha, even Pitchfork found this newsworthy!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    man, pretty jealous you were there for the hacienda days...
    Funny, that embarrassing white 80s hair Dance Party video makes me proud to have grown up in Detroit

I do love the pink scrunchie, though. That's awesome. Only dudes with balls wear pink scrunchies.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    That's a good point about the calendar. However, any 1989 dates would be too early for Lee Mars (not to mention too early for NIN's popularity). I think Aug. 20, 1990, is the most likely broadcast date for this (taping date was likely a week or two in advance). As Trent mentioned in his tweets, they made a special trip to film it, and it doesn't sound like they were on tour at the time (contrary to my earlier supposition). They finished touring on Aug. 4, 1990, so this would fit that timeline.
    Actually, I have to revise this. Discogs and NINWiki have the single release date for HLAH as Mar. 20, 1990, and that seems correct as it charted on Billboard on Mar. 31. So, with the lead times on manufacturing CD's, it had to have been broadcast sometime before Feb. 1990. Quite frankly, I don't know what to think at this time. Everything we know about Lee Mars points to him being with NIN later, yet that's clearly him in the Dance Party video. I don't know whether to take those calendar dates literally, in which case it would have to be Nov. 1989.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    could someone point out said easter egg(s) from closure. I wasn't even aware there were any. How would I watch them?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    could someone point out said easter egg(s) from closure. I wasn't even aware there were any. How would I watch them?
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...4321#post24321

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    all this discussion led me to digging up what good ol' alt.music.nin has to say about this stuff. At least the story about Trent doing it just for teh lulz seems to be consistent over the years.

is it possible to determine the date by their hair though? we've got plenty of Hate tour videos so we can just compare.

as for lee mars. He wasn't necessarily a part of live band at the time since we don't know for sure if they were on tour at the time. but he could've been just someone's friend, you never know all the connections. I was surprised to find that Nick Rushe (NIN keyboardist on Peter Murphy support tour) had a credit on Exotic Birds album, that was clearly done a couple of years before NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Actually, I have to revise this. Discogs and NINWiki have the single release date for HLAH as Mar. 20, 1990, and that seems correct as it charted on Billboard on Mar. 31. So, with the lead times on manufacturing CD's, it had to have been broadcast sometime before Feb. 1990. Quite frankly, I don't know what to think at this time. Everything we know about Lee Mars points to him being with NIN later, yet that's clearly him in the Dance Party video. I don't know whether to take those calendar dates literally, in which case it would have to be Nov. 1989.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Nov. '89. It makes sense for a few reasons.

-PHM had just come out, so it makes sense that TVT would ask Trent to go on TV.
    -DII was "played." That was the first single, released around the same time as PHM. Most of the time, when bands go on TV, they play their latest single.
    -Reruns are what are typically played in the summer, especially in August. September - May is (or at least was, before cable brought us 5000 TV stations) the typical slot for new TV shows to be broadcast, including syndicated ones.
    -Trent's wearing a pink scrunchie in his hair. Just sayin'.

EDIT: also, remember that Trent was pretty much on tour for all of 1990, along with recording stuff with Ministry/RevCo and Pigface. He also jumped right from a summer headlining tour into a RevCo tour in Aug. '90. So, it would've been very difficult to have time off, only to burn three days of it driving to NJ from Cleveland (presumably), doing the show and then driving home.

Oh, and while I'm being OCD like a motherfucker, there was a show in NY in Oct. '89. Taking an extra day to do the taping while in the area presumably would've been easy.
    Last edited by flashback8; 03-29-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This is great. I also noticed the scrunchie right away, heh.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    According to Stereogum, the date the performance aired was December 2nd, 1989. I'm not sure where they got that date from.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    According to Stereogum, the date the performance aired was December 2nd, 1989. I'm not sure where they got that date from.
    Looks like they got it from this site, which appears to be the old DPUSA web site. (Jeebus H. Keerist, that thing's ugly.) So, I guess the mystery's kinda sorta solved.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashback8 View Post
    Looks like they got it from this site, which appears to be the old DPUSA web site. (Jeebus H. Keerist, that thing's ugly.) So, I guess the mystery's kinda sorta solved.
    It hurts so much to look at that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ...brain, brain, go away, come again some other day!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    As hilarious as this is, it's still not as bad as the footage of Maynard James Keenan in his early band Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. Be thankful for that Trent!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What scares me is the idea that the 'dancers' on these things are usually screened for dancing ability