Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preaves View Post
    So to avoid giving Apple a few pennies, we steal from the artist that this entire 5-page thread is about. Good call, guys.
    Who said anything about stealing? Now you're just projecting your own illegal ways. Good call, guy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    I dont own any Apple products either, so it would be better for me if Columbia or Trent offers it for a buck and you would get an instand download from their camps at midnight or 2:30 EST tomorrow. Then everyone is happy, except Apple.
    might well happen. i've just got reason to believe that itunes will have it. no reason not to think other places won't.
    there'll probably be something on youtube as well.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Looks like its not a KROQ exclusive, here's a Tweet from local Milwaukee station (central time):

@FM1021: Tomorrow 1:30pm -- @FM1021 @IsMichelleOK be debuting a brand new @nineinchnails track -- #CameBackHaunted #NIN

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    Shame on Trent for not wanting to deal with all the logistics and headaches that comes with releasing a Nine Inch Nails full length album while trying to tour with another band, rehearse for a year long NIN tour and handle two very young kids...
    I'm not sure if I could be any more clear. I'm NOT saying "shame on him." I prefaced what I was saying by clarifying that I wasn't calling him a "sell out" or implying anything of the kind. I'm also definitely not underestimating what the logistic bullshit entails. That's why I said "I get it, I understand it." Also, pointing out that Bowie (or any other great artist) is on Columbia is completely irrelevant.

I also get the "he's got better things to do, and with a family he has less time" point. That's ALSO understandable. Hell, I'd understand that argument if he offered it as a reason why he was giving up on touring altogether. But referring to taking a game-changing stance against the traditional industry model as something "unimportant" or comparably insignificant is a disservice. The point he was making was a big deal to a lot of people, even to people who don't care that much for his music. It was more than a cute experiment.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-05-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't wait to hear this, hope the digital version appears on the official NIN site as well. Looking forward to hearing it in Belfast come August.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Has he, though? He might have a whole lot of control at Columbia... even more then I guess he had at Interscope. Columbia might be a glorified distribution / promotion center for him, with no creative control. Isn't that exactly what we'd all want a major label to be? Maybe they think his stint as an independent artist was so successful they made the deal on his terms.
    This is likely exactly case, and I say this as someone who has worked at a bunch of the major labels. The recent Daft Punk album also came out on Columbia and they're not "signed" to the label in the traditional sense, they simply licensed their music to the label. In return the label co-finances everything: tour, merch, album, etc, but they also a percentage on all money made, not just album sales. Trent clearly had confidence to go with Columbia with both of his bands, probably due to the positive experience he had releasing The Social Network soundtrack with them a few years ago. I'm sure his contract with them is very much in his favor. At this point in his career, the label just wants to capitalize on NIN's popularity, I doubt they're interested in exerting any sort of creative control and will let Trent do whatever he wants, as long as they're financially compensated for it (i.e. if he wants to use more expensive paper than his contract allows, he either covers the cost himself or they raise the SRP of the product to cover it).

Also, holy shit! Have I really not posted on ETS once since it relauched? It's been far too long, folks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    23 hours and seventeen fucking minutes. The crappy thing is that my lunch break is scheduled 12:30 to 1:30, so I'll be going back in right when the song gets aired.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    KROQ has come through in the past with NIN songs online (they played Discipline and Year Zero stuff on both the radio and the stream). I dug out my 10 year old PCI radio card, but I'd need a better antenna to get a signal that doesn't sound like you're listening to KROQ underwater. I'll be optimistic and assume that KROQ will play it on both.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The point he was making was a big deal to a lot of people, even to people who don't care that much for his music. It was more than a cute experiment.
    There was a reason I didn't quote you, and it was because I understood that you weren't trying to be shallow with your comments. My comment was NOT a shot at yours, but moreso the stream of thought that it was leading towards. In other words, a 'pre-emptive strike' against some of the people who feel that the only legitimate artistic way to distribute is through independent methods.... while completely ignoring that almost every medium of entertainment (the good, bad and the ugly) is distributed primarily through major publishers/distributors (e.g., books, movies, video games).

To your point above, do we know how the music industry has changed in 5 years in terms of major record label deals? Do we know what is in TRs contract with Columbia? Maybe his experiment worked, and him and other artists are coming to the negotiating table with more power and freedom?

I found it a bit odd to see Atoms for Peace on XL after Radiohead's big push to go 'indie' as well... until I realized that it's f-ing hard to release an album to millions of fans by yourself.

But I digress and hope that the new song will push this blather far away.
    Last edited by Canuckle; 06-05-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Digression

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    KDGE in Dallas is playing the song tomorrow also apparently.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Dear Columbia Records PR people: Drop by and give the fans a list.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    To your point above, do we know how the music industry has changed in 5 years in terms of major record label deals? Do we know what is in TRs contract with Columbia? Maybe his experiment worked, and him and other artists are coming to the negotiating table with more power and freedom?
    That's partially why I'd be interested to hear him weigh in on it. I'd like to hear an assessment of what worked and what didn't. Sure, without a label he was able to organize and (mostly) sell out an arena rock tour.

The experiment isn't proven a success by Reznor (or any other huge artist with no label) making a major record label his/her bitch. That's what every legacy artist outside of a contract commands, and that's nothing new. That's WHY it was a bold move to go without a label when in that position.

I found it a bit odd to see Atoms for Peace on XL after Radiohead's big push to go 'indie' as well... until I realized that it's f-ing hard to release an album to millions of fans by yourself.
    Not to split hairs here, but XL is technically an indie label, and by comparison to Columbia (and KROQ by extension) that's punk as fuck. Honestly, it's the KROQ aspect that pushed it over the top for me. I was a little miffed at the Columbia thing, but ok, I get it, so much for the DIY gesture. But debuting your new single on conventional radio, and not just any radio station, but fucking KROQ? That's a complete 180 from the sentiment he was seemingly pushing for before, and it's a large part of why I wonder if he just wasn't hitting anywhere near the numbers he was hoping to reach before. And to reiterate the initial point, I think that's a little sad and unfortunate.

On that note, I don't entirely understand why people are so eager to tune in to KROQ to hear the new song. It'll be ripped to the net within minutes of the broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Too excited about this. Happy to see that it'll be on several different stations too, I don't think 87.7 here in Chicago would make room amid all the Grouplove/Imagine Dragons songs for a new NIN single.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    23 hours and seventeen fucking minutes. The crappy thing is that my lunch break is scheduled 12:30 to 1:30, so I'll be going back in right when the song gets aired.
    "Arghh. My gut. I think I have food poisoning. I need to go to the restroom NOW."

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

On that note, I don't entirely understand why people are so eager to tune in to KROQ to hear the new song. It'll be ripped to the net within minutes of the broadcast.
    Cauuuussssee......... i dunno it's like a red carpet premiere of the song... sort of... for a few minutes....but not really.

Apparently KROQ don't have exclusivity though, my local radio station said they'd be playing it at pretty much the same time i think... so eh.... just depends how antsy you are to hear it i guess if you can't wait another few minutes for it to pop up in places to stream or buy or whatever....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    "Arghh. My gut. I think I have food poisoning. I need to go to the restroom NOW."
    Haha!! Everyone stay away from the gas station sushi for lunch tomorrow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was looking for an article David Byrne wrote about the different options artists have as far as distributing their work in the modern era, found this link about an interview he did (last year?) that also included Trent:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/...or-labels.html

& I believe this is the article I was looking for:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...urrentPage=all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Awww, come on, I've been away from ETS for like, two weeks and all of a sudden there's a new NIN song debuting tomorrow? What's happpening with the world, this is too good to be true!

Although... this "Came Back Haunted" title sounds like something off some Type O Negative album.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I wonder when the song will get airplay in the UK? Any info yet?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I want to say that I do. But it's rectangular so it's not album/single art...or is it? Looks beautiful.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm sure we'll know more about it... soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It must mean something. Bring those geniuses that cracked the YZ codes in the golden days of 2007. I'm going bananas already. I want this song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh no, Rob and Trent are playing with the printer again having bleedthough flashbacks.....

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    It's probably more like "I don't have time to run EVERYTHING, when I have a family to take care of" It's hard enough to spend time with your family working 40 hours a week. If you think he would have tons of free time writing/recording/managing/booking/promoting/publishing, you're mistaken. He got a way from the major labels before he had a family. Now he want to focus on that. He may be a rock star, but that doesn't mean he isn't human.
    This. Would you rather play customer service for people who still use IE5 or hang out with family? He has a wife now. He has two kids now. Priorities are different.

Also, we probably wouldn't have seen much HTDA if Reznor was trying to run everything himself. If we did, new NIN would be another year out.

He already showed the record industry that he doesn't need them. That has given him a ton of power. I'm sure he has a ton of power in this relationship now. In many ways, this is BETTER than going indie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    How can there be 6 pages of bitching about a song we haven't heard yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Are you new here?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Because it's what NIN fans do?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    I was looking for an article David Byrne wrote about the different options artists have as far as distributing their work in the modern era, found this link about an interview he did (last year?) that also included Trent:
    http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/...or-labels.html
    some of the comments in that article were ridiculous - why doesn't he just go with local digital marketing companies for everywhere he's touring?? What so he has to sign 20 or whatever deals for all the countries NIN plays in? Yeah- piece of cake, no hassle there

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    If that's indicative of the art direction of the new album, then I'm already in love with it.