Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Burning Shed's Twitter had this to say concerning delays (mine shipped last Monday, still hasn't come) "snow on eastern seaboard has been causing problems to USA/Canada since 17th February. Most stuff goes through JFK airport".

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    he hasn't gotten any of his solo albums mastered, if i remember correctly (at least not since grace for drowning). i'm also fairly certain that all of the "remasters" that he does for people in 5.1 aren't mastered. he's actually (and obviously) reMIXing them (but not RE-mixing them).
    well someone turned up the limiter for the CD of Insurgentes, so there's at least one – he was mastering for a while, as he handled all the old album remasters for Signify, et al. it was after 2008 that everything stopped hitting the ceiling all the time (though obviously FOABP was a step in the right direction).

if your mixes are good enough, nobody really needs mastering! he's obviously perfected the art.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My deluxe edition came in today. Right now listening to the Kscope sampler it came with. The first track is "Hatesong/Halo" from Gavin's new album, very good playing and arrangement. Can't wait for that one to come out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My deluxe edition arrived today as well. Absolutely stunning artwork, and the inserts are a nice touch. The blu-ray 5.1 mix is simply breathtaking. I have nothing but good words for this release.

Can't wait to dive into the kscope sampler. I already have a few of the releases on it, but most of them I have yet to hear. This is really dangerous for my wallet. Why must they tempt me with more good music?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "Key of Skeleton" reminds me a lot of Jon Brion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    At home with my sound equipment after another month away, listened today for the first time to 5.1 (DVD 96/24 DTS), this is the first 5.1 from Steven I heard, I did read he's good at it, but now I can say - yes, he is. :-) There's more happening behind than with other releases (edit: I mean, not SW), but it's not... "synthetic", nor one band in front and one behind, very coherent experience.

It's also something that grabbed me centuries ago about The Wall - quite dynamic - silent, then loud when needed, perfect. And no mastering... still can't get over that, this dude must be ace about mixing.
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-07-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Dude, he is ace. He remixes so many albums these days on his own, his final masters are in no need of mastering by another person. Someone else, even greatly experienced, would just fuck something up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    So glad I got the big book. The photography is stunning, and the inserts are pretty clever (albeit a little annoying, will probably get a big freezer bag to keep them all together). It really brings the diary alive in a way that is sort of distilled on the website.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    When I am finished with listening to this album (and it seems to get better and better), "The Gunner's Dream" from Pink Floyd's (or rather Water's) Final Cut starts playing in my head... some connection? I don't know, my brain music player seems to be completely autonomous. :-)

And speaking about Pink Floyd, Hand.Cannot.Erase. documentary on DVD reminded me documentary on The Endless River from Floyd's Division Bell sessions, except more sophisticated drumming on Wilson's side. :-) But total professionals enjoying themselves in both cases.

Update: I have normal CD/DVD version, the level of deluxe version attention to detail Steven describes in the film is quite astonishing.

Update2: Hand.Cannot.Erase... not sure where exactly (at work now), there is a moment on the album where I kinda expect the heart-breaking guitar solo from end of Water's It's a Miracle (Amused to Death) to break in... and one song starts with a rhythm reminding of solo Thom Yorke work. :-) (see I don't remember the song names yet)
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-09-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Managed to listen to a bit of the album today, really loving Perfect Life.

Bit worried about the show on Friday - Ticketmaster haven't sent out the ticket yet

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The high resolution 96/24 stereo flacs are now available through Burning Shed's 24 bit store:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/product/436/6495/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ancestral is stunning. Gives me goosebumps.

A bicycle
    A garden wall
    A mother's call
    A love is born
    And after all the sleep that falls on me --

omg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ^ oh my god can you imagine how fucking loud it is in that teeny tiny rehearsal room!?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Steven mentioned several directors filming videos for the entire album. I'd imagine that's why there's a huge screen behind their stage. Holy shit I cannot wait to see this album performed live!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^ Oh lawd, I'm hyperventilating....

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't know about you guys, but i would love to see the whole album performed live in order.
    I know that some people hate that but in my opinion it would work wonderfully (first half "Hand. Cannot. Erase", second half "Hits").

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^ No, I'm totally down with that! The album plays out as a story. Based on the information that there is video filmed for the entirety of the album, I'd say they are planning on performing it in full. The songs are meant to be heard collectively anyway. That's like Pink Floyd touring Dark Side of the Moon and leaving out "Us and Them." Just, no.........

And, as you suggested, after the complete Hand. Cannot. Erase. set, play whatever you want to play, Mr. Wilson. I'll have returned from intermission with a new change of pants, still emitting afterglow. I'll be pretty content at that point for whatever you want to throw at me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has Steven mentioned anything about recording any of the shows? It looks like a great experience but I'm not sure I can attend.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I hope he puts something out, I'm surprised at what little we got from the last tour but I figure since he will most likely perform the album back to front at every show he would want to have the experience documented.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I did ask him what his approach to releasing live music is and while he did not make a specific statement I could gather that whenever he feels a recording is worth it, he will put it out. And of course if it captures his vision of the show appropriately. I have high hopes he will release something from this tour as the record and everything behind it seems really special to him. Moreso than his previous work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^Those pictures have me pumped for Friday now, can't wait

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That screen is pretty awesome. Looks like it is made of transparent LED glass tiles. So focused light can be projected through it with a cool effect, such as this...

All these images we are posting are courtesy of Lasse Hoile.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    looks like the NIN folding screen seen on the ninja tour, maybe the 06 summer tour too.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    isn't that the video for "The Watchmaker" on the screen in that last shot? unless he used the same footage/model for other stuff in the show.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Back from the Cardiff show, really enjoyed it, the time just flew by and I had meant to go get a drink at the bar, but next thing I knew, 1 hour 45m had passed and I had to leave to get my train.

Steven Wilson chatted between songs a few times, they had meant to have the lady perform with them, but she had a baby recently and couldn't do it. Some of the films were quite disturbing. One thing I will say is that SW encouraged the audience to be more enthusiastic, but I think having a large screen behind the band playing a film for nearly the whole show is conducive to people watching the show like a film, rather than responding to the band, quite a difficult balance to make

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ninet just had a baby and is busy being a mother. I wish Steven would have allowed another female to do those parts, even if Ninet can't. The presence of a female on stage would have been wonderful for those parts. Perhaps Ninet could join later in the year. Though I suspect she may be in full mother mode for a good long while.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)