Page 112 of 160 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm Not From This World at the 6:10 mark, sounds like the beginning of a great song. It feels a bit like Reptile. There is another Closer in there somewhere.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    While I appreciate that we’ve had a mostly stable and consistently good line-up since 2014, I miss the days where a new tour would mean that at least one new, non-NIN affiliate (Atticus doesn’t count in that regard) musician would be thrown into the mix. It was refreshing that you didn’t know what someone like Charlie Clouser, Aaron North or Justin Meldal-Johnsen was going to add.

NIN live now seems centred around Alessandro, Robin and Ilan. Once in a blue moon, another friend of the camp, like Josh Eustis, may join.

Those guys are fucking awesome at what they do, obviously, but that experience of seeing a new face in there appears to be a thing of the past.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Can't really fault Trent for finding a combination of players that is efficient. I'm guessing he's gotten to a point where he doesn't want to have to hold auditions every time he goes on tour. He just wants a band that knows the score and can put on a good show and make it look effortless.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't fault him. On a musical level, I appreciate that he's managed to assemble a team of players he's satisfied with. It's just that there was an element on unpredictability before. On the drums, for instance. Jerome really shook things up and added a ton of interesting new flourishes. But Ilan more or less plays the parts straight, like Josh would.

It's not that I don't like the current line-up. It's a great-sounding band. It's just that I miss seeing the "band leader" side of Trent a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    While I appreciate that we’ve had a mostly stable and consistently good line-up since 2014, I miss the days where a new tour would mean that at least one new, non-NIN affiliate (Atticus doesn’t count in that regard) musician would be thrown into the mix. It was refreshing that you didn’t know what someone like Charlie Clouser, Aaron North or Justin Meldal-Johnsen was going to add.

NIN live now seems centred around Alessandro, Robin and Ilan. Once in a blue moon, another friend of the camp, like Josh Eustis, may join.

Those guys are fucking awesome at what they do, obviously, but that experience of seeing a new face in there appears to be a thing of the past.

Mmmmm, how long has this latest crew has been going on. My last NIN concert experience was when my beloved Aaron North was in there, because he had a great wild stage presence, but I didn't know he was busting bitches upside the head with microphone stands, so his ass had to go due to the lawsuits.

I made myself intentionally absent during the era where Trent has Rob Sheridan's ass on stage, pretending he was Ralph Hutter from Kraftwerk fucking around on his iBook on stage with the...

I'm the operator of my pocket calculator...
    I'm controlling...
    Reverberating...
    Frequency oscillating...
    I push a little key, and play a little melody...

But I am curious about this "new NIN", since Trent is doing prayer circles now before getting on stage invoking Jesus, or the MK Ultra Illuminati spirits, like Beyonce before she gets her ass on stage.

I know I have been gone too long, but what kind of fucking new Trent is this? My mind is blown! I can not comprehend. What happened here? Did he have nervous breakdown in the past few years I don't know about? He joined the Joel Olsteen mega church and become a born-again prosperity Christian? Da fuck?! He got Atticus and Robin hold his hands and say a little "Our Father" before their mic checks?

I guess, since he no longer splatter his body with corn starch and mud before going on stage, he has so much spare time on his hands while waiting for the opening act to get off stage, so his ass does a prayer circle instead?

Again, I don't know these new people with the exception of Atticus and Robin. There was a Bart Simpson looking dude after With Teeth, and another dude who looked like Art Garfunkel with the big ass afro, and some guy with the long wavy afro-ish Kurt Hammet (Metallica) hair. I don't know who the hell they are or were by name nor performance.
    Last edited by BlacklightFreakout; 07-04-2018 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacklightFreakout View Post
    I know I have been gone too long, but what kind of fucking new Trent is this? My mind is blown! I can not comprehend. What happened here? Did he have nervous breakdown in the past few years I don't know about? He joined the Joel Olsteen mega church and become a born-again prosperity Christian? Da fuck?! He got Atticus and Robin hold his hands and say a little "Our Father" before their mic checks?
    I'm pretty sure it's not a prayer circle. From watching Josh Freese's Lights In The Sky video, it just seems like some sort of communal pre-show ritual. I imagine it's a way for everyone to shake off any nervousness before the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's not a prayer circle. From watching Josh Freese's Lights In The Sky video, it just seems like some sort of communal pre-show ritual. I imagine it's a way for everyone to shake off any nervousness before the show.
    Pre-show ritual = prayer circle. Same thing, different way of saying it. LOL

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I couldn't give a shit what TR & Co. do before or after their shows. They could sacrifice a live goat and have an orgy while drenched in its blood, or watch My Little Pony, or do both at the same time. It doesn't matter.

All I know is, they fucking kick ass on stage. That's all.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    They could sacrifice a live goat and have an orgy getting drenched in its blood, while also watching My Little Pony
    That would be pretty fucking awesome actually. I know what Im gonna do Monday night now that I’m vacation with no plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That would be pretty fucking awesome actually. I know what Im gonna do Monday night now that I’m vacation with no plans.
    The music industry needs a new subculture. NIN fans should start a Satanic Brony movement.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

So that goddamn prayer circle, got me feeling some kind of way. It gave me anxiety. Who knew that having kids eats away your soul, and makes you listen to NPR and watch C-Span Book TV.
    If seeing a man you don't know stand in a circle gives you anxiety then I suggest seeing a psychologist, because that is not a reasonable reaction.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Pre-show ritual = prayer circle. Same thing, different way of saying it. LOL
    Not the same thing. It's like what performers or sports teams do before a play or a game. They psych each other up. Religion doesn't have to come into it at all.

Well, I sort of care. My last concert was a little after With Teeth, so kids having kids and making some statements that he doesn't like his kids listening to his music because he cusses, makes me wonder if he has turned into an ole grandpa on stage. Where is my old fucking Trent who said "I don't make music for young people to give a shit about what their parents think." Yeah, that Trent. Now he is "God damn, my son heard me say "fuck". Oh, lord. I am such a bad example. I guess, I will be asking Atticus if he wants to produce a country album with me soon. I want the next NIN album to have lyrics about growing corn, feeding chicken, eating pickled pig feet and reading the Bible."
    Maybe you should watch the videos of the current tour and decide if he's become a grandpa rather than just assuming so because you saw a picture of everyone holding hands backstage, because that's a pretty idiotic thing to assume.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    99.999999% sure that has nothing to do with religion. I've seen that photo before, and never once did I look at it and think about religion or spirituality.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    They've been doing the hype/warm up circle before the show for YEARS. We saw footage of it when Josh toured with them.
    I know you're probably just an annoying troll, I just wanted to clear that up.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I’ve given Bad Witch about 20 spins now, and I honestly don’t care for it. Had this been another band/musician I wouldve stopped after one listen. Shit Mirror is a decent rocker that unfortunately gets ruined at times by some clapping like beat sound. Don’t care for the Bowie/Peter Murphy tunes- the vocals sound forced on them. “I’m Not From This World” is a decent headphone listen for creepy soundtrack stuff if you’re into that thing. The “drumming” in Ahead of Ourselves is a nice change of pace.

Itunes reviews are pretty brutal too- not just the written reviews. A band that’s been around for so long will typically get 4.0 to 4.5 star rating. It’s around 3.5. Not saying iTunes reviews are gospel, just pointing it out- so keep your pitchforks in the shed. :P
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-05-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: “so”

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You didn't like the previous EPs, so I can't say that I'm surprised by your reaction.

And most of the complaints I've seen revolve around the same tired sentiment: "Why isn't it more like [insert favorite album]? Why can't Trent go back to that?" The few reviews that actually had constructive criticism weren't necessarily wrong (repetitive lyrics, could have been weirder, etc.), but at least they made compelling arguments. Most fans just want their favorite pacifier at this point. Nothing else will do.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 07-05-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    You didn't like the previous EPs, so I can't say that I'm surprised by your reaction.
    Cant say I’m a huge fan of the trilogy, but where did I post that?

Ive got a stalker, lol.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    And yeah, I’m in the camp with the “constructive criticism”. Repetition, too many generic electronic beats on the first two EP’s, etc.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Cant say I’m a huge fan of the trilogy, but where did I post that?

Ive got a stalker, lol.
    Not stalking, just observant. You don't care for a lot of what's come out the past few years.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Not stalking, just observant. You don't care for a lot of what's come out the past few years.
    It’s been hit or miss for me. Ever since the soundtrack stuff and HTDA, their output seems interchangeable IMHO. Take a song and put in a beat and it ends up being on an album. Or take a song and don’t put in a beat/drum track and it’s on a soundtrack or is an instrumental for “newer” NIN.

Dont need to be beat up for it, just my thoughts and not trolling.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    giordano's deep dish sucks. lou malnati's is the good deep dish here in chicago. of all the dumb shit you've said in the last few days, this is the dumbest.
    Fun NIN spotting: three of us went to a Giardano’s after NIN Lolla show in 2013 on the Friday night (don’t recall which location it was, but think it was north west of Grant Park) and saw Ilan Rubin there with what I was assuming his friends or family. Said thanks and hi- they were really cool with the situation, and very nice.

Not much of a fan of deep dish due to it being so filling and all the carbs (need a nap afterwards) , but I thought it was good. :shrugs:

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It’s been hit or miss for me. Ever since the soundtrack stuff and HTDA, their output seems interchangeable IMHO. Take a song and put in a beat and it ends up being on an album. Or take a song and don’t put in a beat/drum track and it’s on a soundtrack or is an instrumental for “newer” NIN.

Dont need to be beat up for it, just my thoughts and not trolling.
    see for me, I sometimes wonder if this shit just has to do with my age. Broken is always going to be my favorite NIN album; i got into it when I was 12. And then TDS at 14 and TF at 19 (I'm 38.)

I hate to admit it but I just don't get into things like I did before I hit about 30.

Like Kendrick Lamar's TPAB: I put that on and listened to it and thought that it was utterly INCREDIBLE, but I haven't listened to it again.

Now I'm not saying this happens to everyone; I know it doesn't.

But I did read an article the other day that was about a study that had to do with people finding most of the music they really connect with before they're 30 and I'm afraid that might be me.

I love the new records and I think they're fucking brilliant, but I just don't get OBSESSIVE about albums like I did when I was younger.

Edit: @Krazy I personally like carbs because they're made out of Food.

Here is the article http://www.businessinsider.com/why-w...-age-30-2018-6
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Krazy @elevenism - I think for me, it also has a lot more to do with just giving it all time and breathing room, but I still definitely understand where you're both coming from. It's also why I'm still, at this point far more interested in the overall aftermath and retrospective stages of releases in general. (And just to see how they hold up.)

As an example, I don't know what on Earth happened to me, but when I listened to Underneath It All for the very first time, I loved it so much. I kept going to that song over and over. (I've also had the reverse happen to me in other cases.)

While I didn't end up disliking it, and while also still loving certain aspects of the song, it's actually one of the least played and most skipped songs whenever I listen to The Fragile. I haven't felt the same way about it ever since, even when revisiting it after not having listened to it for a while. And it surprises even me, considering how I love all of the other heavier tracks from The Fragile.

Sometimes it's also best to stay away from it for a while, and then try again, but yeah. Sometimes it's just not meant to be, and it's not like everybody can or will always like the same things.

As for the trilogy itself, I have a feeling that Add Violence as a whole is my most favorite release out of them all as of now.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-05-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    see for me, I sometimes wonder if this shit just has to do with my age. Broken is always going to be my favorite NIN album; i got into it when I was 12. And then TDS at 14 and TF at 19 (I'm 38.)

I hate to admit it but I just don't get into things like I did before I hit about 30.

Like Kendrick Lamar's TPAB: I put that on and listened to it and thought that it was utterly INCREDIBLE, but I haven't listened to it again.

Now I'm not saying this happens to everyone; I know it doesn't.

But I did read an article the other day that was about a study that had to do with people finding most of the music they really connect with before they're 30 and I'm afraid that might be me.

I love the new records and I think they're fucking brilliant, but I just don't get OBSESSIVE about albums like I did when I was younger.
    Nostalgia/where one is in their life situation definitely plays a part in how we like our music- I’m not even going to doubt that. There’s been a few links on here on how that plays a part in how people love certain art when they were a certain age and what not. It’s probably the same articles we read and I’d agree with them.

On the other hand I can play TDS and believe the guy who screaming into the mic on songs like Mr Self Destruct or Eraser, or the passion of something “subtle” like Hurt.

Then again I thought live NIN was probably best during the 2000’s.

Then theres the “recent” stuff that doesn’t really move the needle for me personally. I don’t think it’s past stuff though. Over produced music and repetitive lyrics just isn’t for me. I also think part of it is having the Internet I your palm- there’s a lot of access to new music and it makes my head spin. Not even sure what I like or don’t like right away anymore.

Interesting stuff to ponder I guess.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-05-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't think it's interchangeable at all. Between the mixing and the different instrumentation spread throughout all of those projects, I'd say this is actually the most diverse time in Trent's musical career. And Trent has ALWAYS been a beat/drum track man. That's Pretty Hate Machine all over. It's amusing that people want him to go back to his roots when he's pretty much done that, just not in the way they want him too.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm on my way to 30 at the moment, but I don't see myself having that issue when I get there. I listen to a lot of different music from a lot of different eras, and I'm not an overly nostalgic person either. If I was, With Teeth and Year Zero would be my favorite albums since they were my first exposure to Nine Inch Nails as a teenager.

I think people fell in love with a certain sound rather than with what Trent has set out to accomplish as a whole with the band, which is why it's so hard for them to get into more recent stuff.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    giordano's deep dish sucks. lou malnati's is the good deep dish here in chicago. of all the dumb shit you've said in the last few days, this is the dumbest.
    Preach on Preacher!!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Fun NIN spotting: three of us went to a Giardano’s after NIN Lolla show in 2013 on the Friday night (don’t recall which location it was, but think it was north west of Grant Park) and saw Ilan Rubin there with what I was assuming his friends or family. Said thanks and hi- they were really cool with the situation, and very nice.

Not much of a fan of deep dish due to it being so filling and all the carbs (need a nap afterwards) , but I thought it was good. :shrugs:
    giordano's isn't really that bad, it's just not that great compared to a lot of the other pizza available in chicago. lou's deep dish is satisfying without making you want to die, and that's why i'm partial to it. it doesn't feel like too much the way many deep dish pizzas do, particularly giordano's.

my favorite type of pizza is actually detroit deep dish, which is technically what most regions call "pan pizza" baked in a rectangular pan and served with the sauce only as a dipping sauce, not on the pizza. it's...so fucking good. if you're down here any time, i'd recommend trying it from either Longacre (vegan options available) or Fat Chris' (which is like three blocks from my apartment).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    giordano's isn't really that bad, it's just not that great compared to a lot of the other pizza available in chicago. lou's deep dish is satisfying without making you want to die, and that's why i'm partial to it. it doesn't feel like too much the way many deep dish pizzas do, particularly giordano's.

my favorite type of pizza is actually detroit deep dish, which is technically what most regions call "pan pizza" baked in a rectangular pan and served with the sauce only as a dipping sauce, not on the pizza. it's...so fucking good. if you're down here any time, i'd recommend trying it from either Longacre (vegan options available) or Fat Chris' (which is like three blocks from my apartment).
    Gracias for the suggestions, and when in the Chicago area next will look into those places.

My personal favorite is the area Milwaukee style thin cracker crust pizzas, call me jaded!. Best spots IMHO are Maria’s on the far south west side of Milwaukee, and Ricardo’s in Greendale (literally a two minute walk from the house here).

Sorry for the thread derail, but pizza = nom nom. I think Trent was spotted at some pizza joint during Lolla 2013 and it was posted on here or the NIN forum. Some fan let him and Q skip them lol.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-06-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Where is my old fucking Trent who said "I don't make music for young people to give a shit about what their parents think." Yeah, that Trent. Now he is "God damn, my son heard me say "fuck".
    lol that reminds me of the time he said one of his new albums was "unapologetic, unfriendly, dense, lyrically complex, so-far-behind-the-times-it’s-ahead-of-its-time, hipster-repelling uncompromising music smart people can fuck to" that "may not be for you."

I, too, long for that Trent to come back.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    lol that reminds me of the time he said one of his new albums was "unapologetic, unfriendly, dense, lyrically complex, so-far-behind-the-times-it’s-ahead-of-its-time, hipster-repelling uncompromising music smart people can fuck to" that "may not be for you."

I, too, long for that Trent to come back.
    It hasn't even been two years since he said that.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 07-06-2018 at 01:12 AM.