Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I know you're probably joking, but that's the reflection of the white truck in the window. Also, the google streetview images are from last year.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This is the "Diagram" shirt from the NIN.com shop. Sadly, there's no higher resolution available, but you'll notice there's an indicator box above the "Tolerance & Bias" buttons that's not visible on the back cover. Everything else appears to match up (save for the Null Corp box).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Simple, we need someone to find that machine and turn it "OFF"... before someone else switches it to 'ENGAGE'/'ADD VIOLENCE' as I assume that would make for some bad news.

What happens when its set to 'AUTO'?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    What happens when its set to 'AUTO'?
    That's when we get Strobe Light.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Do you mean the reflection of the white car in the glass?
    WTF. Before I scrolled across it totally looked like a grey door with a white Z in tape. Meta ARG!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just getting caught up... haven't been on ETS in some time.... is there anything from the NTAE art that is key to understanding any of this? Or are we at the mercy of the physical component of AV?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I am waiting for the CD...I am so stuck in 1997

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is one of NIN greatest artwork... Such a shame it's the back cover, and not the actual front cover.
    It's so much better than the cropped version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dissecting the car on google maps in case it is a hint/clue:

1: The Presence?

2: (question marks represent illegible letters)
    ?B ?
    CA EYE
    MEDICINE
    ??OW

3. The numbers look to read 335 or 375?

4. Initials JE. Unsure of significance/if there is any

5. Skulls artwork. Unsure of significance/if there is any

6. Unidentified art. Unsure of significance/if there is any

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izo View Post
    Dissecting the car on google maps in case it is a hint/clue:
    ARG's are cool and all, but this van being a clue would've involved putting it there in December knowing the Google camera was going to go by and wouldn't go by again in the next seven months. That seems like a little much, even for a YZ-related ARG.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirphobos View Post
    is there anything from the NTAE art that is key to understanding any of this? Or are we at the mercy of the physical component of AV?
    I'm wondering the same...since the little hash marks on the cover of NTAE look like the meters on AV. Hmmm...

Unfortunately, TR will probably give us just enough to drive us crazy, but not enough to figure it out until the final part. God, I love him!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The nostalgia won't be complete until I go to sleep tonight and wake up to this thread being at 42 pages of investigation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ARG's are cool and all, but this van being a clue would've involved putting it there in December knowing the Google camera was going to go by and wouldn't go by again in the next seven months. That seems like a little much, even for a YZ-related ARG.
    Oh, very much so. I do not disagree with you the chances of the van being part of the ARG are slim to none.
    I am in hyper "analyze everything" mode right now.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    24.24.2.2546 still at large. Bureau of Morality chodes'll never catch me.

The following is my remarkedly pessimistic interpretation of the settings:

Complexity set to adaptive - could refer to Complex Adaptive System - courtesy Wikipedia - "a system in which a perfect understanding of the individual parts does not automatically convey a perfect understanding of the whole system's behavior." - This might come off as a generalization, but this seems to be an indicator of, perhaps, behavior of the species or the human condition. We know who we are as people but can't grasp why we all act in the ways we do.

Apperception has a few definitions, but the common ground they share between psychology and philosophy revolves around the notion of the self and change of the self through experience. The fact that the dial seems to be pointing to 'Oblivion' indicates to a viewpoint of 'nobody fucking learning anything' and the same mistakes being made.

Submission - Dial points to 'restrain' - Populations under the thumb of their governments or dictators.

Morale = Isolated. Self-explanatory.

Disorder - Between Evolve, Stall and Regress. The dial points to regress. We're unlearning, not learning, and the world is in more turmoil than ever.

Satisfaction being set to Inertia, furthest away from self-destruct, with Strive as a midway point indicates to me that this is a permanent setting which might represent the tendency to keep ourselves occupied with entertainment and stay happy that way. Or, disturbingly, that we're just fine with the world the way it is. It's unchanging.

Presence is set to 'Strong'. - if there was ever a time where god himself would reach his fucking arm through - or perhaps when people would like to believe in a doomsday prophecy - now's a good candidate as any as we continue to fuck up our world.

Monitoring world active - button flashing set to idle. Notable that this does not even have an off setting - idle suggests to me that this is proceeding as normal. Everyone knows they're being watched.

If I had to label the machine, I'd call it a box displaying the current state of global consciousness, or, more specifically the state of humanity, in a pessimistic but not-at-all undeserved light.

Can we call it the Zero Box

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That van is creepy as shit even if it's not apart of the ARG

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I haven't seen any mention in here of the fact that "Pinon" appears on the bak of the album cover. Probably not a clue or anything, but an interesting fact.

I would also tend to agree that K represents the 11 th album. That seems to fit pretty perfectly, So, i'm not looking into that part any further.

The van is probably holding more clues, to bad we don't know where it is now...

Machine world monitoring, .07, well YZ was release in 07, and the Idle light being lit, would indicate that that ARG is still "Running" or Idling. So theres more confirmation of the YZ connections, along with the entity/hand.

The "Aperception" box seems to indicate that whatever it is monitoring, can grasp things (The hand/entity) And that is set to Oblivion, So we can expect something pretty powerful.

The "Srtucture" light / as opposed to "Function" could point towards a prequel to YZ, as opposed to this being a Followup.

And that's about all the talking out of my ass I can do for now.
    But hey, Make of it what you will.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    That van is creepy as shit even if it's not apart of the ARG
    It's almost too specific to just happen to be there, right?...or maybe it's nothing.
    Doesn't hurt to keep it as a reference, just in case.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izo View Post
    It's almost too specific to just happen to be there, right?...or maybe it's nothing.
    Doesn't hurt to keep it as a reference, just in case.
    Again, they would've had to put it there 8 months ago knowing the Google car was going to go by. That's crazypants.

I would be totally happy to go investigate this spot if we really thought there was something to find. Part of me wants to go to LCW before work tomorrow just because it looks like an awesome place. It's probably fucking huge, though, so there's no telling if I could find the control box that they used for the album cover (or if it's even still there).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if there will be any use for the Jack Keychain that you get with the physical component purchase? Since you know... that device obviously has 8 total jacks that can used. It would be interesting if you could take the Jack that you received from the physical component to a show, or somewhere and make use of it... any thoughts?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Again, they would've had to put it there 8 months ago knowing the Google car was going to go by. That's crazypants.

I would be totally happy to go investigate this spot if we really thought there was something to find. Part of me wants to go to LCW before work tomorrow just because it looks like an awesome place. It's probably fucking huge, though, so there's no telling if I could find the control box that they used for the album cover (or if it's even still there).
    True, I understand your point. It would be logistically hard to pull off.

If you do decide to go to LCW, keep us updated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am somewhat convinced that there is a location to be found in the meter readings, deviations and so on. I just can't spend any more office hours looking into it today. 10 years ago I had a much more laid back job, now I do actual work.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Is this anything new from what we figured out last week when the cover art dropped? Seems like a dumb thing to message a company that sells old machinery and ask why a picture of old machinery might have a geolocation leading there.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Couple things:

I did HQ scans of all 18 of the NTAE physical components, I didn't find anything odd. Here's a link in case you want to comb through them:
    https://www.facebook.com/paul.guyet/...8379759&type=3

I agree with @HWB as far as the importance of the hidden lyrics in the NTAE mp3. Aside from a hell of a lot of shit in Branches, there's lyrics scattered throughout which makes me wonder if whoever is the protagonist in NATE, if they're part of the simulation, if they've been left there or if they've figured out that it's just yet another in a long line of simulations and that what's going on aren't the actual events.

Wondering if the AV physical component is going to be a code book or glossary or instructions for the AV engine.

Also, and here's my weird little thing: BYIT, YZ, The Slip, and AV are the only four halos without any logos or typography. BYIT was part of the original ARG, YZ and AV are huge parts of the YZ ARG, and, for me, I always saw The Slip as an album released by the Nine Inch Nails of 2022; in a way, yet another part of the YZ ARG. There's talk of aliens and references to The Twilight Zone, as well as Head Down and Letting You, which, while applicable to the world of 2008, also seemed very applicable to the world of 2022.

Finally, I have a friend who lives in Glendale. Going to try and convince him to stop by LCW Props and...well...I haven't figured that out yet...ask for Trent?

I'll get back to you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Is this anything new from what we figured out last week when the cover art dropped? Seems like a dumb thing to message a company that sells old machinery and ask why a picture of old machinery might have a geolocation leading there.
    The only part noteworthy is how they replied with a thumbs up, opposed to ignoring it altogether.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oh, and, of course the fates of the Resistance List people aren't random...Meathead was executed.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    PL MI

plus - minus ?
    I think this needs to be paid attention to and not get lost in the depths of this thread. I think that this is right on as a plus/minus situation. Somehow this relates to the overall puzzle and the 5 segments they are on, how exactly is beyond me.

Plus: APPERCEPTION
    Minus: SATISFACTION
    Minus: MORALE
    Plus: DISORDER
    Plus: SUBMISSION

On another thought it is interesting that BIAS is lighted in the upper panel and then there is a knob or plug port or something at the top of the second panel.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    I think this needs to be paid attention to and not get lost in the depths of this thread. I think that this is right on as a plus/minus situation. Somehow this relates to the overall puzzle and the 5 segments they are on, how exactly is beyond me.

Plus: APPERCEPTION
    Minus: SATISFACTION
    Minus: MORALE
    Plus: DISORDER
    Plus: SUBMISSION

On another thought it is interesting that BIAS is lighted in the upper panel and then there is a knob or plug port or something at the top of the second panel.
    (Persuasion...Coercion...Submission...Assimilation )

There's a third factor which is the dials under each header. So if the SATISFACTION dial is set to INERTIA, and MINUS is selected, does that mean inertia is being removed from satisfaction? Does is mean satisfaction is being removed from inertia? Does it mean satisfaction is set to inertia, and that's bad?