Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new release/new material. Counting down the hours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    and other bullshit I don't want to deal with.
    You might be slightly underestimating what that other bullshit actually entails. Even if he probably didn't do a lot of things himself when Nine Inch Nails was an independent band, he'd still have to find and manage people to employ for the various tasks a tour / marketing/distributing an album requires. It was probably an enormous hassle that maybe even got in the way of the creative parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just checked, Bowie's The Next Day is on Columiba

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Siren View Post
    I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new release/new material. Counting down the hours
    Im not feeling that so much for this one, but reading this made me feel nostalgic. I remmeber when The Day the World Went Away single came out, how excited I was. I even skipped school with some friends to go get it at Best Buy (did the same thing for the Fragile)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Shame on Trent for not wanting to deal with all the logistics and headaches that comes with releasing a Nine Inch Nails full length album while trying to tour with another band, rehearse for a year long NIN tour and handle two very young kids...

Very pumped for Thursday.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    Even if he probably didn't do a lot of things himself when Nine Inch Nails was an independent band, he'd still have to find and manage people to employ for the various tasks a tour / marketing/distributing an album requires. It was probably an enormous hassle that maybe even got in the way of the creative parts.
    And this. I mean, the experiments with end-runs around the traditional industry model were successful, to various degrees... but in the end, a band the size of NIN is a corporation, like it or not. I don't think it's particularly satisfying to keep all of the machinery supporting that kind of juggernaut turning all by yourself. You can either subcontract some of the labour out to other corporations (Columbia in this case, which has people that TR trusts on its staff) or spend far too much time that could be spent creating music supervising the execution of promotion, distribution, merchandising, touring, financial logistics, etc.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    not to mention we do know that he reads these forums and must check in to nin.com and it must be disheartening to listen to all the moaning about cd mailing logistics and 'oh my vinyl was slightly scuffed' etc and feel personally responsible - now all that can be hived off to the record label

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Dumb question: You can listen to KROQ live online right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    yes. the whole world can.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    *sigh* I guess... I don't know why we can't have any secrets anymore...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Didn't you hear? That old geezer from King Crimson is supposedly in it.
    Go back to your cave.
    I see what you did there. Hopefully not O/T but strange facebook post from "that old geezer"
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adria...ocation=stream

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

I don't get what the big deal is.
    We're getting new Nine Inch Nails music.

Yeah it must've been interesting for Trent to experiment and play around with different methods of distribution and promotion. But for the end user the result is the same.

I don't blame Trent in the slightest for choosing not to carry on doing it all himself (though I don't doubt he'll still have alot of say about what happens under the new contract)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Be warned: last time this happened, the single wasn't actually played on the stream - it was only played on the air. Apparently the DJ was very confused about this and had no idea that it would play out that way, so hopefully it was some stupid thing that has since been fixed. But while I certainly wouldn't say don't listen to the stream, I would caution that it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll hear the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Huh... there must be rain out and about--cause there's something dripping.

That said, all the logistics would interfere with his personal life, making music, scoring films, and collaborating with others. He's kept very busy. Hopefully, a new direction for the music is in store. The Ghosts/Score Work sounds a little too similar.
    Last edited by dpeters; 06-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted definitely seems like it could be about a soldier that came back from a war haunted by the things they've seen/done.

Seems like it could fit in with Year Zero Part 2?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    so, I'm fairly sure this has probably bee answered already but can I hear the song now? and if now, where do I go tomorrow to listen? thanks!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    so, I'm fairly sure this has probably bee answered already but can I hear the song now? and if now, where do I go tomorrow to listen? thanks!
    Song's not available yet, but you'll have no trouble finding it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Still, I expect that the answer is probably something like that (more or less). I'm not casting judgment, I get it, I think it's completely reasonable. I just think it's a little bit of a let down.
    It's probably more like "I don't have time to run EVERYTHING, when I have a family to take care of" It's hard enough to spend time with your family working 40 hours a week. If you think he would have tons of free time writing/recording/managing/booking/promoting/publishing, you're mistaken. He got a way from the major labels before he had a family. Now he want to focus on that. He may be a rock star, but that doesn't mean he isn't human.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Pretty sure this will be on iTunes fairly shortly after it's premiered...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    Pretty sure this will be on iTunes fairly shortly after it's premiered...
    hope it's not an iTunes-only job - i've managed to go 30-odd years without giving Apple a single penny and have NO desire to break that habbit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Came back haunted? Maybe this is about the woman that has been haunting him on all his latest records and who moans like a bored ghost all the time.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Is it Thursday yet?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d-signet View Post
    hope it's not an iTunes-only job - i've managed to go 30-odd years without giving Apple a single penny and have NO desire to break that habbit.

Call me crazy but I'm sure "the internet" will supply a number of ways for you to hear it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Came back haunted? Maybe this is about the woman that has been haunting him on all his latest records and who moans like a bored ghost all the time.
    I love your interpretation. :-).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    With the Columbia thing happening, I'm hoping for physical singles (not just promos, either).

EDIT: I haven't done "auction collecting" since 2002 2005... geez.
    Last edited by Jon; 06-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to make of the move back to major label/radio support. I'm not jumping up to call it something pointless like "selling out," but it makes me a bit sad that apparently the various independent experiments weren't really a success. It's kind of depressing that even someone as firmly established as Trent Reznor cannot find a way to make it work, and that it's basically an admission that the major labels and original institution still do serve a legitimate purpose, even to the people who it would seem need them the least. He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.

I don't hold it against him, but it's telling and more than just a little bit discouraging.
    It's my understanding that Trent just realized that he's got better shit to do (make more music, develop the live show, raise children, etc) than focus on the business and distribution side of his craft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post

Call me crazy but I'm sure "the internet" will supply a number of ways for you to hear it.
    So to avoid giving Apple a few pennies, we steal from the artist that this entire 5-page thread is about. Good call, guys.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Maybe it's about people like you, who keep popping up and making comments like this, like a ghost that won't "go towards the light".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preaves View Post
    So to avoid giving Apple a few pennies, we steal from the artist that this entire 5-page thread is about. Good call, guys.
    Apple usually take approximately 30% of anything sold through iTunes. This (obviously) leaves approx 70% to go to the label who then deduct 'costs' and send a percentage share whatever's left to the artist. That's a percentage of whatever's-left-after-costs of their 70% of the retail price.

I'm willing to buy the single and album through ALMOST any channel, and I've got tickets to see them on the tour where i'll happily buy merch.

I won't lose any sleep tonight through a bad concience - especially as this is all hypothetical.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preaves View Post
    I dont own any Apple products either, so it would be better for me if Columbia or Trent offers it for a buck and you would get an instand download from their camps at midnight or 2:30 EST tomorrow. Then everyone is happy, except Apple.