Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2013.09.28 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's my video collage from last night:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I had a blast. was straight back on center in the seats row 20. great place to see the full scope of the light show. everyone in that area was seated for about 75% of the show. when all time low started I couldn't resist and popped out of my seat to groove a bit.

loved all the new songs!

a warm place was cool and exciting, but a bit muddy.

as can be seen in that video above, the lights for disappointed were awesome! it's one of my least favorite songs on HM, but it sounded good live (better than the festival streams I saw).

as far as the tech glitches, I thought it was mostly trouble with Pino's bass cable wireless relay thingy. during CBH he seemed to be looking around wondering why no sound was coming from his instrument. a tech came out to fiddle with it a bit. then during the next song there was still trouble with it and they ran out an actual cable to replace the wireless rig... if I'm remembering all that correctly. I thought that's what TR meant when after CBH he said something about the remix version. the song sounded good despite the lack of bass. I was pretty distracted by what was going on with Pino for that bit of the show.

overall it was really cool. even deeper was a big highlight. i liked last night's version of survivalism better than any version I've seen. Ilan was in top form all night.

I do wish Pino was given more room to shine. one of the best bass players in the world playing some pretty simplistic basslines. Guess we can't expect reworks of the back catalog that are all as drastic as sanctified (which I was sad not to see).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Impressions:

1) This is the best NIN live band yet, hands down, and by a longshot. Pino is ridiculous. Ilan, Alessandro and Robyn, they all own. I'm still stunned by how incredible this band was live.
    2) My first thought about this backup singers is that I can't believe it's taken this long, and it's exactly what NIN has needed. It felt incredibly natural and very vital. When not singing, and while on stage, those girls brought some serious vibes to the stage with their moves and attitude. And the "solo" by the one backup vocalist may have been the highlight of the evening for me. That shot was ridiculous.
    3) Pizza! I was the 2nd person in line, so I got to know the NIN yours manager gal a bit, so I thanked her when we were coming through. Her words: "It was Trent's idea."
    4) it seemed to me that the visuals, while incredible and massive, kind of tool a backseat to the band, the musicians, and the musicianship on stage, as opposed to the way that the visuals really seemed to be the focus at the LITS tour. I was at the rail and right in the middle, so I obviously didn't get to fully take in the visuals, but knowing that this was till the impression that I was left with.
    5) Man, Trent was REALLY channeling his Bowie. There was a lot of the set where he was standing center stage, kind of dancing back and forth with his hands behind his back and just allowing the incredible musicians around him to do their thing. Trent seemed to be taking these moments in as much as we in the crowd were.
    6) Goddamit I'm happy that NIN is back. I don't think I really knew what that meant u til after the show last night, and I couldn't be more excited about the execution of last night and implications of what is to come.

Also, doing recon between my group today it seems that the merch that was "per-sold" for the NIN.con ticket holders had a shirt that wasn't for sale elsewhere, and there was a tour date short sold elsewhere that wasn't available at the presale table.

Good times, old friends and new friends, and getting served surprise pizza by the band. . . Thks was certainly a show for the books.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Also, they definitely skipped a song. I'm pretty sure it was Sanctified. The hands set up a bunch of gear, they began having more technical difficulties,band it seemed that Trent made an executive decision to bypass the song they were prepping for, kind of to the staff's surprise. When they started the song the stage crew then went and removed the gear they had just set up that nobody even used.

Also, we tried getting a set list after the show but they're not givin then out "per band's orders." There was a guy in the center of the security pit who was with the band that told us this. He was at a little step ladder thing (that Trent didn't even use when leaving the stage or going back up) and was in charge of keeping the mic cables from becoming a mess and switching between mics on a little rack box. He was also in charge of Trent's hand shakers and tambourines, so this guy was obviously a guy at the top of the NIN tour pyramid.

Lastly, Eustice on sax was just joyous and beautiful and so right. Instead of playing two bars or whatever it was from the album, the part with the sax went on for a probably almost a minute, and it was so fucking enjoyable.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I was hearing Into The Void was the song skipped...

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Setlist:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    Setlist:

That is a terrible shame. My biggest complaint with the concert was the extended set of Hesitation Marks songs-even the short review of the concert I read pointed this out. It's not so much that I wanted to hear more older songs, there were plenty in the show and I am so freakin' glad I got to see Somewhat Damaged in person for the first time. Part of it may have been from the fact that I've listened to the whole album several times already-but, well in any case it's somewhat good to hear that they had planned on breaking it up a little with something else and dammit I really wish they'd played it because that's an awesome song!!

Journal-type stuff:

I think I can safely say the seats me and my friend had were the worst I've ever had for any NIN show I've ever attended-and even worse still given that it was high up and from the side, not permitting anything close to being able to experience the visuals as I'm sure they were intended. The audio experience was a little better but still not quite optimal. Can't wait for more videos to go up on YouTube showing the visuals as they were meant to be seen.

We actually made this whole thing a round trip including a visit to the Mall of America, though we didn't buy anything there-which is good since I forgot how INSANE the T-Shirt prices were! I was being stingy with the stuff at City Shirts for being like $20 a pop-had no idea the stuff at the show would be TWICE that. Got a tour date shirt along with a much cheaper tour date poster-having seen a picture of the limited edition one, I'm pretty sure what I got was not that (and it was only $15). We didn't get back home until a little after 3 in the morning.

Also, since we'd both recently gotten smartphones we got to try out GPS for the first time, though it ran down my battery so bad I couldn't use it to try to film the show-not that I would've gotten anything looking remotely good anyway. That was sort of a blessing in disguise since I could just focus on enjoying the show.

Really hope Trent's got plans to film some of the shows on this tour, ideally in the 3D format he'd originally planned on using for LITS. I would definitely got to a theater to see that, whether it be a wide release or a Fathom Event.

One of the craziest parts was definitely the back-up singers during the end part of Even Deeper. I think they invented an entirely new note with that one. Kinda wish they'd thrown in at least one never-before-played song not off the new album, there are so many new possibilities with that given the larger line-up. Maybe they'll do something further into the tour. I'd really like to see and/or hear My Violent Heart done live. Another song I think would sound really good with the back-up vocalists (although it's been played before) is God-Given.

Overall, I wasn't too disappointed with what I got.
    Last edited by DJGamer; 09-29-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Journaling

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Damn. Where'd you get the setlist from?
    Last edited by LexTron6K; 09-29-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "I do wish Pino was given more room to shine. one of the best bass players in the world playing some pretty simplistic basslines."

The thing about Pino is he makes it all look much much more simpler than it is. Standing at the rail, and being a bass player, it was clear to me that he was really added a lot to these songs that bass player in NIN have never done, but damn, he makes it look line he's playing the simplest shit. And he's not, very far from it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm glad everyone had a good time and from what I read and seen, the tour is gonna be incredible. NIN keeps topping themselves after each tour. Looking forward to seeing them in LA.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ok guys, i got my tape split up, converted to mp3 and flac, and im rar-ing it up as im posting this.

EDIT:

MP3 FORMAT

(im not the taper on dime either, this is a different tape. note that i had to turn the gain down during 1,000,000 as it was red-lining waaaaaay too much for my tastes. brickwalled music fuckin' sucks!)

As for my thoughts on the show, its still to early to comment, so ill wait till a later date. Although I will say, Pino's bass riffs were skull crushing to say the least and he definitely has a lurch-like presence on stage.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-30-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Ok guys, i got my tape split up, converted to mp3 and flac, and im rar-ing it up as im posting this.
    Awesome, thanks again! I was the guy with the red AIR flag shirt you were hanging out with until NIN started and I moved up a ways. Was great to meet you!
    Last edited by xolotl; 09-30-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

EDIT:

MP3 FORMAT

(im not the taper on dime either, this is a different tape. note that i had to turn the gain down during 1,000,000 as it was red-lining waaaaaay too much for my tastes. brickwalled music fuckin' sucks!)

As for my thoughts on the show, its still to early to comment, so ill wait till a later date. Although I will say, Pino's bass riffs were skull crushing to say the least and he definitely has a lurch-like presence on stage.
    the link doesnt work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    all time low !!! oh I'd like to hear it live!!! it was an awesome setlist lucky guys!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If you were at the St. Paul show, send the nin podcast Underneath It All a video/audio review of the show to our email ninpodcast@underneathitall.org

You can also visit the site Underneath It All and contact us through that. I love what I'm hearing and fans around the world would love to hear what you're thinking of the current NIN shows.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTron6K View Post
    "I do wish Pino was given more room to shine. one of the best bass players in the world playing some pretty simplistic basslines."

The thing about Pino is he makes it all look much much more simpler than it is. Standing at the rail, and being a bass player, it was clear to me that he was really added a lot to these songs that bass player in NIN have never done, but damn, he makes it look line he's playing the simplest shit. And he's not, very far from it.
    yeah, i had a pair of binocs to get a better view and i did see that he was playing a lot more than I could hear. the clarity level on the bass just wasn't there from my seats. haven't listened to the tapes yet(big thanks to those who taped and shared!!) maybe it'll come through better there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    yeah, i had a pair of binocs to get a better view and i did see that he was playing a lot more than I could hear. the clarity level on the bass just wasn't there from my seats. haven't listened to the tapes yet(big thanks to those who taped and shared!!) maybe it'll come through better there.
    I'm sure that the fact that Pino was having technical issues heavily for the first 1/3 of the set and off and on throughout the set didn't help with the clarity of what he was doing, especially from back in the seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    those women are some sassy ladies, love it

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The show was really great and I love the new big band version of NIN. The backing vocals were amazing (too low in mix though) and I think the ladies rocked it - great addition! I was lucky enough to bug the band briefly while they delivered pizza to the pre sale line. This was my 3rd show (1 show on LITS and 1 show for NINJA) and my 3rd time getting rail. Here are my thoughts: The show was really well put together and had a nice setlist. I think the new songs sounded great live and I love the ways the old songs are changing. I was hoping for the usual slow/instrumental middle section of the show and was kind of bummed. Compared to LITS it felt kind of rushed/clunky (losing into the void to tech difficulties killed me) and I know TR and co have been busy so I am not upset in the least. It still had great visuals and lighting and I loved the new square/grid lights above each member, but nothing interactive to the band or sound like LITS. Better band this time around for sure but I was expecting more. Still a very solid show and I am glad that I was able to see it. Shout out to heavenly bearded for the free copy of Still! Im sure the show will just get better as the tour goes on. Highlights for me were Copy of A, Even Deeper, A Warm Place, While Im Still Here & Somewhat Damaged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what they were playing before NIN took the stage on Sat. night? It kinda sounded like the Halloween soundtrack - an electronic reworked version. ANyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just wondering which live version of "copy of a" was better,the drum machine one or the live drums one..

I'm gonna see nin for the 1st time when/if they tour europe,i know Closer has had its fair share of live appearances but i will be bummed out if i don't see it live.I think it should be played instead of THTF.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ok guys, I got the links fixed.

FLAC

320k MP3

enjoy

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ok guys, I got the links fixed.
    Awesome, thanks again!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yup, no problem. Glad to share.

I dint apply any eq to it or anything, just tried to smooth out the volume a little towards the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can we talk about Trent jumping off the stage? Did he touch people??
    I know this is dumb as shit, but it felt like a stab in the heart when I saw him jump down! (I was at the back of the floor.) I spent so many years waiting all day outside venues to secure a spot right up front at every show, and he NEVER made audience contact. The best analogy I can give for that feeling I got is that it's like dating a girl for three years who refused to put out, then you finally get fed up and decide to take a break from the relationship, and then the next time you see her, she's naked and fucking your best friend.
    Okay, not EXACTLY, but you know.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I touched him during piggy(nothing can stop me now), and I am the one naked with your ex, not your best friend.

Edit: First I touched Robin, then I touched Trent, then myself...
    Last edited by heavenly_bearded; 09-30-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    I touched him during piggy(nothing can stop me now), and I am the one naked with your ex, not your best friend.

Edit: First I touched Robin, then I touched Trent, then myself...
    Haha! Gah, I am bitterly jealous.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackheart View Post
    Haha! Gah, I am bitterly jealous.
    It has been years since I have seen him drop down to the front rail like that. Very cool that he brings it back. Probably doesn't like being spit on by stupid fans.

"Spit on me again and I will rip your fucking cunt off!" - Trent Reznor

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The desire to touch TR or any other musician/celebrity is something I don't think I'll ever really understand.

Also, sorry H_B for never getting together with you! I was really looking forward to meeting you and thanking you
    for all the things you've done! My people weren't into nerding it up and heading to the venue early as much I had hoped, though..
    Also, we really WERE looking up how paper clips were made!

In any case, I had an amazing time and nine inch nails had an amazing show! Hopefully the rest of the tour goes off without a hitch!