Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who the fuck are Arcade Fire?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    That's completely fucked up. Even if you set the SA stuff aside (which you shouldn't), cheating on your wife with four different people makes you a huge asshole. Régine should have kicked his ass to the curb. Also, it should be said that childhood trauma and alcohol issues are not an excuse. There's plenty of people who have dealt with one or both of those issues, and they don't do things like that. Take responsibility for what you did.

At this point, I'm done with the band. They haven't made a truly solid record since The Suburbs, and this just makes my disappointment with them so much worse.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-27-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's completely fucked up. Even if you set the SA stuff aside (which you shouldn't), cheating on your wife with four different people makes you a huge asshole. Régine should have kicked his ass to the curb. Also, it should be said that childhood trauma and alcohol issues are not an excuse. There's plenty of people who have dealt with one or both of those issues, and they don't do things like that. Take responsibility for what you did.

At this point, I'm done with the band. They haven't made a truly solid record since The Suburbs, and this just makes my disappointment with them so much worse.
    Regine is lovely & very talented. Wonder if this stuff had anything to do with Win's brother leaving the band.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Wonder if this stuff had anything to do with Win's brother leaving the band.
    I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's mad shitty behavior for sure, and even his acknowledgment of it all is very backhanded with lots of victim blaming, but I'm not going to just start pretending like one of my favorite bands is suddenly dog-shit because of this.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    How in the world are they going to do their current tour in good faith with all of this out in the open? That Pitchfork article is apparently just the tip of the iceberg as it's been circulating now that Win being a creep was well known to those in the service industry within New Orleans.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It's mad shitty behavior for sure, and even his acknowledgment of it all is very backhanded with lots of victim blaming, but I'm not going to just start pretending like one of my favorite bands is suddenly dog-shit because of this.
    You're right, it would be wrong to tarnish the rest of the band about this but since Win is the leader it makes things very difficult.
    Last edited by chuckrh; 08-29-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I have what some might consider a very romanticized view of artists. I like artists who seem to be coming from a place of honesty, and when that view suddenly collides with the reality of who they are, it's incredibly difficult for me to go back to their art and view it in the same way. It makes it seem phony and cheap, and it makes me feel bad for buying into it. I don't expect artists to be perfect beings, but I also don't want them to be users and abusers of people, especially people who look up to them and have been moved and inspired by their art. Unfortunately, there's a lot of artists like that. It sucks for me to have to say goodbye to that music, but it just wouldn't be the same at this point. And like I said, for me, their last solid album was over a decade ago, so it feels like this has just been a long time coming anyway. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way though.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Holy shit, Win Butler is a dick. A rapey dick.

Edit: Ugh, I can't even get through all of that Pitchfork article. Ew ew ew.

Imma go use my two Arcade Fire CDs as Frisbees.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-29-2022 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Who the fuck are Arcade Fire?

i just read it. ugh. so sad. this band got me through two pregnancies. fuck pitchfork for letting him pick apart their statements. what’s wrong with the wife, letting him use her as a shield?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I saw them live once, and the way he talked to the audience really bugged me. It was this sneering condescension, and I was disappointed at the time because I had really liked their album Funeral.
    Too bad they TRULY suck, that apparently, and that whiney....

Actually, screw it, everything they made after Funeral sucked for me. I really wanted to like Neon Bible but it was just... weak. I fucking HATED that album that won them a grammy, and I won't listen again, for various obvious reasons. Also, he can take that smug comment he made at Coachella about how all of the electronic music wasn't real or whatever and he can shove it right up his rapey ass.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I agree, I loved Funeral. I bought Neon Bible but didn’t like it. I saw them live twice but gave up after Neon Bible. I just saw them as schtick. They were a one-trick pony that would never recreate Funeral.

And now they’re just Win’s disgusting past. I feel sorry for his victims. Fuck Pitchfork for letting him provide his lame statements.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-29-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And now they’re just Win’s disgusting past.
    Really don't see what the rest of the band has to do with Win's behavior. Win is solely responsible for his actions. Sarah, RRP, Will, Regine, Tim, and Jeremy aren't tied to any of this, nor did they partake in additional shitty behavior. So to say Arcade Fire as a whole is "Win's Disgusting Past" is really unfair. Win is Win's Disgusting Past. Don't drag the other 80% of the band who didn't do anything wrong for his bullshit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Really don't see what the rest of the band has to do with Win's behavior. Win is solely responsible for his actions. Sarah, RRP, Will, Regine, Tim, and Jeremy aren't tied to any of this, nor did they partake in additional shitty behavior. So to say Arcade Fire as a whole is "Win's Disgusting Past" is really unfair. Win is Win's Disgusting Past. Don't drag the other 80% of the band who didn't do anything wrong for his bullshit.
    Win IS the Arcade Fire. Those other members are just hired instrumentalists. Régine is more, but she’s Win’s enabler at this point.

If you remove Win from the Arcade Fire, it will collapse.

Of COURSE the other band members aren’t responsible for Win’s behavior; but I’m allowed to file the Arcade Fire’s catalog under “Win Butler’s disingenuous bullshit.”
    Last edited by allegro; 08-30-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    He can go share a bunk with Jacob Hoggard.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Win IS the Arcade Fire. Those other members are just hired instrumentalists. Régine is more, but she’s Win’s enabler at this point.
    Well you don't know anything about Win and Regine's personal relationship enough to call Regine his "enabler", which is in itself pretty accusatory. And secondly why ever call yourself a fan in the first place if you just view the other members (who Win and Regine also grew up and went to school with) as "hired instrumentalists". Arcade Fire could very well continue on without Win. It'd be a different sound, but the other members are COMPLETELY capable of being talented musicians and songwriters as well.

I get being upset and mortified at Win right now but to start accusing Regine of being an "enabler" and saying the rest of the band isn't worth shit is just being very reactionary.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I liked some of AFs music but they were always a bit too hipster for me. Who knows the details of Win & Regine's marriage but doing a Hilary Clinton is never a good look.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I just like Neon Bible and especially The Suburbs, which helped me through a fucking horrendous divorce. There’s been songs I’ve liked on the other albums.

Make no mistake, Regine brought herself into this by supporting Win. This isn’t a good look for her. Agreed on the HRC reference, @chuckrh .

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The other band members should just start a new band at this point, unless they stand behind him too, in which case they can all ride that sinking ship together as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Make no mistake, Regine brought herself into this by supporting Win. This isn’t a good look for her. Agreed on the HRC reference, @chuckrh.
    Ok but you have no idea the dynamics behind the scene of Win and Regine's relationship. Saying she "brought herself into this" is such a stupid fucking thing to say. This isn't a good look for her? She's a woman capable of making her own informed decisions. They have children together. When you're with someone for 15 plus years you don't just fuckin' abandon them when they fuck up. You work through the shit together and try to rebuild your life as better people. Saying Regine is supporting Win's decision to have shitty extra marital affairs just because she didn't publicly come out like "aRcAdE fIrE is OvErRrR I HoPe WiN fUcKiNg DiEs" is just so fucking dumb and boneheaded. Regine literally has nothing to do with Win's behavior other than choosing to stay with him and work through the issues. It's so fucking misogynistic to assume Regine is just as culpable as Win simply because she is married to him. Get the fuck outta here with that misogyny. Win is responsible alone for his actions and choices, not anyone else from that band, bottom line.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I still stand by what I said about Regine kicking him to the curb, but ultimately, it's her decision to forgive him and stay by him. I know I couldn't put up with someone who did that to me, no matter if I had children with them or not.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Someone hijacked the setlist.fm page to their first show that took place tonight in Dublin.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arcad...-33b0bc65.html

Here it is for posterity before someone inevitably takes it down:

1. Wake Up

Play Video
    2. Age of Anxiety I8

Play Video
    3. Ready to Start

Play Video
    4. The Suburbs

Play Video
    5. The Suburbs (Continued)

Play Video
    6. Neighborhood #1 (Lurking in Tunnels)

Play Video
    7. Young Girls and Happy Endings
      (Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci cover)
      Play Video
    8. Neighborhood #5 (Sex Pest)
      (New song)
      Play Video
    9. Auntie Diaries
      (Kendrick Lamar cover)
      Play Video
    10. Blurred Lines
      (Robin Thicke cover)
      Play Video
    11. The Man With the Child in His Eyes
      (Kate Bush cover)
      Play Video
    12. It Wasn't Me
      (Shaggy cover)
      Play Video
    13. Sexy Kids
      (Kunt and the Gang cover)
      Play Video
    14. Jail
      (Kanye West cover) (with Marilyn Manson)
      Play Video
    15. Women of a Certain Age

Play Video
    16. 18 Til I Die
      (Bryan Adams cover)
      Play Video
    17. Blame It (On the Alcohol)
      (Jamie Foxx cover)
      Play Video
    18. Chemistry
      (with The Wurzels) (Scrumpy & Western version)
      Play Video
    19. Age of Anxiety XVIII

Play Video
    20. Superstar
      (Carpenters cover)
      Play Video
    21. Little Child
      (The Beatles cover)
      Play Video
    22. Lady in the Front Row
      (Redd Kross cover)
      Play Video
    23. Does Your Mother Know
      (ABBA cover)
      Play Video
    24. Girls
      (The 1975 cover)
      Play Video
    25. Marblehead Johnson
      (The Bluetones cover)
      Play Video
    26. We Are Fucking Fucked
      (Muse cover) (Without Muse, live debut)
      Play Video
    27. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
      (The Beatles cover)
      Play Video
    28. Encore:
    29. Rock and Roll, Part 2
      (Gary Glitter cover) (without Gary Glitter. Win put… more )
      Play Video
    30. Evening of Swing (Has Been Cancelled)
      (Half Man Half Biscuit cover)
      Play Video
    31. We Are Stupid Dossers
      (Arctic Monkeys cover) (Win announces “I am in fact a stupid dosser”)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Oh fuck. They're doing a show after all this? That should go well...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Oh fuck. They're doing a show after all this? That should go well...
    It went fine like any show though, probably because tons of people pay no attention to social media or MSM or any news. I don’t think my sister has any clue about the Marilyn Manson accusations, she.cant stand him anyway so it doesn’t really.matter
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-30-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    they still have a whole tour planned i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Ok but you have no idea the dynamics behind the scene of Win and Regine's relationship. Saying she "brought herself into this" is such a stupid fucking thing to say. This isn't a good look for her? She's a woman capable of making her own informed decisions. They have children together. When you're with someone for 15 plus years you don't just fuckin' abandon them when they fuck up. You work through the shit together and try to rebuild your life as better people. Saying Regine is supporting Win's decision to have shitty extra marital affairs just because she didn't publicly come out like "aRcAdE fIrE is OvErRrR I HoPe WiN fUcKiNg DiEs" is just so fucking dumb and boneheaded. Regine literally has nothing to do with Win's behavior other than choosing to stay with him and work through the issues. It's so fucking misogynistic to assume Regine is just as culpable as Win simply because she is married to him. Get the fuck outta here with that misogyny. Win is responsible alone for his actions and choices, not anyone else from that band, bottom line.
    It isn’t misogyny. Cheating is gross and unforgivable. And he did it more than once. Get the fuck outta here with your weak ass attacks on those of us that recognize this. Get the fuck outta here with your paper thin defensiveness. I don’t know what the fuck has gotten into you as of late but I’m not having it.

Do I feel sorry for Regine? Sure I do but her shitty letter is not a good look. Her letter brought her into it. Nobody said she made him cheat. Reading comprehension would be of help to you.
    Last edited by Swykk; 08-30-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    It isn’t misogyny. Cheating is gross and unforgivable. And he did it more than once. Get the fuck outta here with your weak ass attacks on those of us that recognize this. Get the fuck outta here with your paper thin defensiveness. I don’t know what the fuck has gotten into you as of late but I’m not having it.

Do I feel sorry for Regine? Sure I do but her shitty letter is not a good look.
    So by your logic Regine is just as guilty and responsible for Win's actions because she was cheated on by him? Who are you to decide what Regine decides to do with this information. It's her family, her life, her relationship. The only stakes you've got in this is buying and listening to music from a band you apparently didn't even like.

~i DoNt KnOw WhAtS gOtTeN iNtO yOu As oF lAtE But Im NoT hAvInG iT~

LOL I don't know, I guess I'm just not into accusing uninvolved people of being responsible and accountable for one person's shit behavior behind closed doors, simply due to association. And then trying to blame the person's wife as enabling that behavior, just because you didn't like her public statement and personal choice as to handling of her husband being a fucking asshole.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    You aren’t reading what I’m writing and are acting like a real asshole. I DID say I liked the band.

Again, read this carefully, nowhere did I blame Regine. Nowhere did I say she’s just as guilty. I said her reaction sucks because it absolutely does.

LOL Get fucked with your condescending nonsense, dude. Seriously. Stop putting words in my mouth. Feels an awful lot like you’re projecting here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The comparison to HRC seems a bit off to me relative to Monica Lewinsky, etc. Bill Clinton lied about having consensual affairs with much younger women who worked with him, (or at least coming on to chicks at work), which contained power dynamics and elements of sexual harassment. No, I don’t understand why HRC stood by him, he cheated on her with chicks at work; he bought them gifts. He never actually had intercourse with them so maybe that means something, I dunno.

Win Butler is accused, by 4 women, of sexual misconduct.

That’s not “having an affair.”

Sexual misconduct includes criminal sexual assault.

Butler is calling these women liars.

Butler’s wife said: “He has lost his way, and he has found his way back.”

Characterizing 4 accusations of sexual assault as “losing your way” appears to be minimizing the gravity of the situation at hand.

I understand she may be trying to be a supportive spouse; perhaps she does not believe the accusations.

This may not end well.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-31-2022 at 02:17 AM.