Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don’t fully understand the cassette tape revival, but I thought some of you enthusiasts might get a kick out of this site:

iwillmakeyouamixtape.com

If anyone tries it, let me know if it works.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

A.L.N. • iyov
    (sorceress / mizmor split)
    limited edition, hand-numbered cassette #129/150, canvas patches, mini-zine of artwork

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Visited Seattle a few weeks ago and picked up Dr. Octagon's "Dr. Octagonecologyst" on tape at a local record shop while I was there!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    half shark alligator half man

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Half man half bear half pig?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    hell yeah!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

mizmor • s/t
    2015 reissue, letter-pressed/screen-printed metallic silver on black brad-pak with insert, black with metallic labels, edition of 200

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If I wanted to add a cassette deck to my stereo, how would people recommend I go about locating a good one? Any quality, well-known models that are in plentiful circulation in second hand shops to look out for? Or is anyone putting out a new, affordable yet quality cassette deck you can buy? With a toddler to care for my time is limited to wander around every goodwill or pawn shop so any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    If I wanted to add a cassette deck to my stereo, how would people recommend I go about locating a good one? Any quality, well-known models that are in plentiful circulation in second hand shops to look out for? Or is anyone putting out a new, affordable yet quality cassette deck you can buy? With a toddler to care for my time is limited to wander around every goodwill or pawn shop so any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks!
    I've never been to Austin, but I bet there's at least one super-hip HiFi/second-hand music store there, one which caters to vinyl and cassette collectors, and they'd likely have a few different models for sale. Doesn't hurt to call some of them up, and ask if they do. Expect to pay a little more for the privilege of not having to dig through the bins, however!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    I did own a couple of Sony tapedecks back in the day and I was very happy with all of them. This is the one I kept and I'm surprised for how much money this goes:

http://www.hi-tronics.ca/shop/casset...e-deck-3-head/

On the other hand there are plenty of decks out there for around 50 $. Sadly my old Sony walkman died on me a couple of weeks ago... might look out for a store to fix it as it's only the inner rubber-band that flinched eventually. Tried to use regular bands, but that of course did not work at all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    i had a yamaha deck for a looooooong time but the motor eventually wore out, and then i got a free replacement deck (brand i'd never heard of) from a customer.

that said, the motor wearing out in a yamaha deck is a rare occurrence, and ebay is full of old yamahas. i'd recommend one of those.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    I've accumulated quite a few modern tapes these days and I was wondering how you guys store them.

Would love to build a sweet box or maybe even a nice rack. Do you guys have any ideas or projects of your own at home?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i had a yamaha deck for a looooooong time but the motor eventually wore out, and then i got a free replacement deck (brand i'd never heard of) from a customer.

that said, the motor wearing out in a yamaha deck is a rare occurrence, and ebay is full of old yamahas. i'd recommend one of those.
    My stepdad still has his Yamaha from the late 70's - very early 80's. I'd recommend them also.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I've accumulated quite a few modern tapes these days and I was wondering how you guys store them.

Would love to build a sweet box or maybe even a nice rack. Do you guys have any ideas or projects of your own at home?
    I have 2 storage units similar to these; mine were homemade so the dividers are thicker.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

This I like...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I need to pick up some more tapes. Haven't seen one that caught my eye out in the wild in a minute.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the label i'm on is going to be putting out my next album (bundled with my previous album on the opposite side) on cassette. gonna be doing maltese cross packaging. i can't wait. i've never had one of my own albums (not in a band) out on a physical format that wasn't me burning a CD and printing the cover on a home printer.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/rituals

hey, y'all! my new album is up for pre-order today! digital & cassette (a couple people have already bought tapes!)

not that i'm not proud of all my music, but i'm especially proud of this one. it's a perfect sibling to Monstrous Existence (which is why they're going on a tape together), and having the support of a label to get my music out there and help me find a wider audience has been amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

jenn taiga • plight

skeleton hands • wake

locrian • the crystal world

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    While preparing to move out... some cassettes I have, befautiful, aren't they? :-)

(Note: In my country it was normal to copy music like this, I have also many originals later when they were available and I could afford them...)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    While preparing to move out... some cassettes I have, befautiful, aren't they? :-)

(Note: In my country it was normal to copy music like this, I have also many originals later when they were available and I could afford them...)
    the shell designs on the center & right ones are SO COOL. i've never seen tapes like that!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i am so fucking happy

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Really nice tape there!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Really nice tape there!
    thanks! there are still 11 (i think?) available if you want one! two albums on one tape for only £7 (and i think it's like £2 shipping in the EU) is a pretty good deal! https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/rituals

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Said it'd be shipped by Aug 18, 2020 on my confirmation page. You have access to a time machine? :P

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Said it'd be shipped by Aug 18, 2020 on my confirmation page. You have access to a time machine? :P
    hahaha i have no control over that, dan set up the page. i'm guessing bandcamp put in a default amount of time when he created the listing for the tape and he didn't notice it. i'll ask him about adjusting it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Not sure how many Kreator fans there may be here, but came across this oddity on Blabbermouth:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kr...or-first-time/