PDA

View Full Version : Dance Party US fucking A

TheBang
03-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Always wished you could see it? Here it is.

I nearly busted a gut after lol'ing for 3 minutes straight. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/314p18

P.S. It cost me $100 to obtain this little gem. If anyone wants to donate a little to help offset the cost, PM me; I'd appreciate it.

m0reta
03-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Awww...I'm afraid it got pulled for TOS violation. :-(

Torrent?

How did you get a hold of it? I'd be interested in hearing the tale to tell. :-)

Hazekiah
03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
This is an EPIC and LONNNNNNG overdue development for NIN fandom! Can't WAIT to see this!!!

I'm pretty eternally short on cash but, unless I'm mistaken, it's thanks to YOU that I was finally able to see the video for "Sin," as well...so if you wanna PM me a list of bands you dig I could probably kick you a couple next-to-unreleased bootlegs I've recorded in the past decade-or-so (gladcarrot's been handling my old MD transfers, thank goodness) or maybe make a special trip to film a new one for you, if possible.

Just say the word, and thanks for all the goodies!

:D

TheBang
03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Are you sure? The link just worked fine for me.

sheepdean
03-28-2012, 05:18 AM
Link will only work for link owner in case of TOS violations. C'est la vie

Hazekiah
03-28-2012, 05:18 AM
Yuppers.

File Blocked for Violation.

The file you requested has been blocked for a violation of our Terms of Service (http://www.mediafire.com/policies/terms_of_service.php).
If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support (http://support.mediafire.com/).

Click here to view our help resources (http://support.mediafire.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List)

:-\

TheBang
03-28-2012, 05:25 AM
That's weird. I tried it from other computers on other IP's even, and it still worked for me. OK, well, here's another one:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/314p18

Hazekiah
03-28-2012, 05:50 AM
FULL of WIN!!!

<3

princessomega
03-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I have to admit I used to be excited to come home from school and watch Dance Party USA. As sad as that might sound.
I have found memories of this broadcast. If we cant LOL at the past then we are taking ourselves too seriously.

slave2thewage
03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
"Chown Innit."

sweeterthan
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Trent lip syncing and the people dancing... all i can say is this is awesome!

Edit: i am happy to kick you $5 for this!

sheepdean
03-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Reckon it's foolish to even attempt to upload it to YouTube?

slave2thewage
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Someone up'd it to Youtube already. At least it was up an hour ago since I linked to it on Facebook.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

Rdm
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
HOLY SHIT this is awesome

Leviathant
03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Ah, YouTube. Cue the music press picking up the video without crediting anyone involved in the acquisition....

theperfectdruga
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
hahahahahahaha

ninjaw
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Holy shit, this is AS AMAZING as i imagined, I'll be happy to offer you $10 for that ? any better quality ?

butters
03-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Awesome. And this was the year I became a fan. Weird :P

laci
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Jesus Christ....
Finally!

Conan The Barbarian
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
lol at the turntable.

acidpolly
03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
oh wow.
looks like such episode happened at least once in the history of each band :)
thank you, TheBang!

they put it on Pitchfork :)
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45955-watch-rare-amazing-footage-of-nine-inch-nails-performing-on-dance-party-usa-in-the-late-1980s/

pushingreality
03-28-2012, 11:58 AM
If they ever perform this live again, it'd be hilarious if the entire crowd just started dancing like the people do @ 1:13.

Thank you for the morning lols, TheBang!

halo33
03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have waited SOOOOOOOoooOOOooOoo long to see this. $$ coming your way shortly.

How long till that record they were "playing" shows up on ebay?

Deepvoid
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM
This far and beyond epic! Thanks for sharing.

princessomega
03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I can't contain the 14 year old inside of me now. Ahh this just made my day.

ComaMJ33
03-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I love how in a matter of hours it's on youtube, pitchfork.com ect. Though I'm not surprised because NIN fans are as hardcore as any, everything spreads fast. I'm a Radiohead fan as well, though not to the degree of my TR/NIN love, but the media always gives them the credit for things that Trent has done better by a mile, to say the least. If I can come up with even a little to donate I will. Thanks! Epic!

gorast
03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow, that was...that sure was something. I wonder what Trent would think of this resurfacing.

That DJ is ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing this.

Leviathant
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
they put it on Pitchfork :)
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45955-watch-rare-amazing-footage-of-nine-inch-nails-performing-on-dance-party-usa-in-the-late-1980s/

There was a time, long ago it seems now, when I really didn't like Pitchfork. But here they go, handling this in the best way possible from my perspective. I almost feel bad for assuming blogs wouldn't give credit to ETS/TNINH. But then, I have this delusion in my head that years and years of berating 'big' music sites about such bad behavior maybe had some teensy effect. I'm pretty sure that after seeing that post, I can't make such a quick assumption about hijacking content. Bravo, Pitchfork.

konstantin
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
wasn't this an easter egg on the Closure DVD from years ago?

adrenalinejunkie
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
The Closure DVD had a brief clip of Trent saying "Dance Party US fucking A" and a few seconds of actual footage from the performance, I think.

slave2thewage
03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this NIN's first "major" TV appearance?

Failure
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
This is amazing. I love Richard Patrick's awkward "dancing" during the verses...and his haircut!!

reznovka
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Mhhh don't remember that...
Damn,I am really sad that I missed this kind of shows :D

fillow
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Somehow it doesn't contain that bit from Closure? Or did I miss it? (not the Trent talking part but the actual show)

thevoid99
03-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Wow, I'm laughing my ass off watching that. That is just hilarious. All of those kids trying to get down with this NIN stuff. Wow, the 80s was a bad time for hair. Who would've thought more than 20 years from now, the guy with the bad long hair cut and the blonde host would end up becoming even more famous as an Oscar-winning composer and a morning TV talk show host, respectively? BTW, I wonder if Trent did get it on with Kelly Ripa?

botley
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Somehow it doesn't contain that bit from Closure? Or did I miss it? (not the Trent talking part but the actual show)
They had some B-roll footage on the hidden DVD easter egg but not the full "performance". This is the first time I think the "performance" as broadcast has surfaced online.

FULLMETAL
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Kudos for unearthing this gem from the archives of historic films!

ZootZap
03-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Thank you very much for sharing this!

It's like a bomb exploded when you posted it (and now you couldn't stop it anymore... :))

tvblue
03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
(i'm pretty sure) the vocal of the woman at the end of the clip is heard on track 11 of halo 3, "let's hear it for nine inch nails..."

ninjaw
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
(i'm pretty sure) the vocal of the woman at the end of the clip is heard on track 11 of halo 3, "let's hear it for nine inch nails..."

Of course, actually this long version is missing the two final words "Woo, they're good" you can hear on halo 3. This is a old known fact still on the ninfaq.com (http://ninfaq.com)

B:4 "What is that last track on the _HLAH_ single?"
Track 11 on Halo 3 (the woman yelling "Let's hear it for nine inch nails -- woo they're GOOD!") was from a nin appearance on Dance Party USA. Apparently the yelling woman was the show's host.

AvelineCyborg
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
What a great find! I just love how the fandom finds this rare stuff and shares it. Like everyone else here I got a quite a chuckle out of it but at the same time I felt embarrassed for Trent. He'll probably hate us for finding this and letting it see the light of day. :p

TheBang
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the Closure footage is not actually the broadcast footage. I'm sure it's probably from the guy with the camcorder (who asked Trent what they were doing today) filming from off-stage. He probably recorded the entire performance, but they probably only put a small snippet on Closure because of concern about copyrights or because of embarrassment.

That looks like Lee Mars on the turntable/keyboard, so that would put this performance at probably mid to late 1990. In fact, Dance Party USA was filmed in Philadelphia, and NIN were touring in Philly on July 14, 1990, so that is a likely candidate for this performance.

Hazekiah
03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

While we're discussing the minutiae...can anyone else identify the shirt Reznor's wearing under that leather jacket?

BRoswell
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Is it me, or did Trent look a bit pissed that they were going to be on the show on the Closure easter egg? Dance Party USA just seems to be the opposite of what they were trying to do at the time. Maybe they were pressured to go on there by TVT?

Either way, it's nice to see this performance show up online, but I imagine this is what Trent was talking about when he mentioned "some embarassing videotapes" a couple years ago. :p

Papagolash
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Bahahahahaha ohh man I love it! Scrunchie!!! Man I wish this came out during their last tour, would have loved to see the pit open up and start dancing, making it Dance Party Fucking USA . Thank you for this. I always wonder what ever happened to that NIN jacket.

jessamineny
03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

While we're discussing the minutiae...can anyone else identify the shirt Reznor's wearing under that leather jacket?

I think...

http://www.myspace.com/thegodsquadclevelandpunk

bobbie solo
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
that jacket is kinda badass. pretty much the only non-cringeworthy thing i saw.

again, THANK YOU for finding this.

THAT TURNTABLE!!!

Papagolash
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
@trent_reznor: Many years ago, a young and naive Nine Inch Nails were asked what TV shows they'd be interested in appearing on.

- As a joke (and likely drunk), they thought of the most absurd choice they could come up with at the time.

-They were then informed their bluff had been called and were actually booked on said show (thanks again Sioux Z).

-They hopped in their Honda Civic touring vehicle (hatchback) and travelled many miles to (I think) NJ for the big show.

-They had a laugh making fun of the people, their fashion choices and hairstyles. Life was good.

-Years later, the internet is discovered...

-There's a moral in there somewhere.

-Come to think of it, Skrillex may indeed owe me some publishing on that hairdo...

october_midnight
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
LOL @ UMG already blocking the video haha.

jessamineny
03-28-2012, 07:20 PM
LOL @ UMG already blocking the video haha.

They only blocked embedding.

nimbus
03-28-2012, 07:32 PM
The fucking best! Thank you.

flashback8
03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
That looks like Lee Mars on the turntable/keyboard, so that would put this performance at probably mid to late 1990. In fact, Dance Party USA was filmed in Philadelphia, and NIN were touring in Philly on July 14, 1990, so that is a likely candidate for this performance.

Based off the calendar at the end of the clip, it looks like it was broadcast on March 20, 1989. (I'm guessing the show was syndicated, meaning there's no "official" broadcast date.) This was probably filmed earlier in the month, or maybe in February. Depends on the lead time, although I'd imagine it didn't take much time or effort to edit this together. :P

In any event, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! A PM is forthcoming.

EDIT: Derp. Might be Nov. '89 instead. Makes more sense, really.

Space Suicide
03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
LOL this is great. It's so cheesey, terrible and gimmicky 90's its crazy.

If I had a few pocket change to send your way i would but I'm a bit tight at the moment.

sweeterthan
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
My sister IM'd me the youtube link and said "Some kid lip syncing to NIN".
Me: "LOL no, it's Trent Reznor"

Leviathant
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
This video is so great. On the surface, it looks pretty silly, but I fucking love that they took Nine Inch Nails to Dance Party USA. And I gotta say, even though the audience definitely made some unusual fashion choices, the band's choice of wardrobe is far better than most band getups in the late 80s & early 90s. Maybe this speaks something of my age, but I feel like jeans, tshirts, boots & leather jackets stand up pretty well even now.

Given that early NIN played to backing tapes, someone ought to try syncing this up to an early live bootleg of DII.

*edit* Trying it on for size myself. Also, eliminating the watermark (as best as I can, given the compression)
*edit edit* Ha, this is awesome. I'll upload it soon.

marodi
03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Oh my fucking God. This is absolutely amazing.

TheBang, thank you so much for this.

gorast
03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I really like Trent's comments about the video. Dude takes it all in stride.

poinoup
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Right on!

Kudos for getting your hands on this and passing it on.

Kid Charlemagne
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Trent's sense of humor on this is all you need to know about how cool of a guy he is. Instead of saying "FUCK YOU, TAKE IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY", he's humorous about it and is aware of how ridiculous it is. Dude just gained even more respect from me.

TheBang
03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Based off the calendar at the end of the clip, it looks like it was broadcast on March 20, 1989. (I'm guessing the show was syndicated, meaning there's no "official" broadcast date.) This was probably filmed earlier in the month, or maybe in February. Depends on the lead time, although I'd imagine it didn't take much time or effort to edit this together. :P

In any event, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! A PM is forthcoming.

EDIT: Derp. Might be Nov. '89 instead. Makes more sense, really.

That's a good point about the calendar. However, any 1989 dates would be too early for Lee Mars (not to mention too early for NIN's popularity). I think Aug. 20, 1990, is the most likely broadcast date for this (taping date was likely a week or two in advance). As Trent mentioned in his tweets, they made a special trip to film it, and it doesn't sound like they were on tour at the time (contrary to my earlier supposition). They finished touring on Aug. 4, 1990, so this would fit that timeline.

Leviathant
03-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I present you with... a redubbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI41K-kk34s

butter_hole
03-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for getting rid of the watermark

Amaro
03-29-2012, 12:59 AM
I feel like I could've seen Zack Morris and Screech in the audience.

danebraddy
03-29-2012, 01:47 AM
I present you with... a redubbing:

That is sooo epic... it syncs up so well!

opal
03-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Can anybody post TR's tweet on this? I'm at work and can't access Twitter from here. THANX!

butter_hole
03-29-2012, 02:15 AM
^ already did, previous page.

Here's the closure easter egg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZTtpVO6JU&amp;feature=related

Hazekiah
03-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I think...

http://www.myspace.com/thegodsquadclevelandpunk

Ahhh, thanks! I can totally see that now, you're absolutely right! I'd even seen him in that shirt before plenty of times but I guess the few brief peeks we got having been obscured by the jacket and the watermark were throwing me off. Much obliged!

I feel like I could've seen Zack Morris and Screech in the audience.

Haha, I facebook-ed the video and one of my old high school buddies actually commented, "Jesus. It's like some kind of Saved By the Bell nightmare."

:)

WorzelG
03-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for uploading this, I really needed a laugh! I love the way he feels he owes everyone an explanation for it

profane
03-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Many thanks for this! What a great laugh this and the story behind this is :o Again, thank you very very much! I want to throw you some money for this.

Edit: PM'd

Harry Seaward
03-29-2012, 04:17 AM
I love the way he feels he owes everyone an explanation for it

Classic damage control. "Oh, we did it to make fun of them!"

Riiiiight.

slave2thewage
03-29-2012, 06:10 AM
I want Trent's t-shirt so bad. Googling "God Squad t-shirt" is... interesting.

Highly Psychological
03-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Did NIN come on after New Kids on the Block or something??!!
This looks exactly like the Dancefloor or a club I used to go to in England called The Hacienda, or The Mud Club in New York where all the New Wave, Synth bands used to play.*
Love this because this environment looks like Pretty Hate Machine's natural setting....its more suited to this environment than a mosh pit with the exception of Head Like a Hole, the guitars did not really come in until 1990 after its release and it became a different thing.

This video does not shock me or anything...Was a wise decision to go on there in my opinion. Reach a different type of audience.
I always dance like this when i listen to Down In It or the rest of PHM anyway so i dont see it as embarrassing at all! Its a beautiful relic.

I can imagine Corey Haim and Lara Flynn Boyle grinding each other to his tune back in the day....

fillow
03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
The best thing about this is girl dancing on the podium on the right in Closure version

Arkadin
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
That's a good point about the calendar. However, any 1989 dates would be too early for Lee Mars (not to mention too early for NIN's popularity). I think Aug. 20, 1990, is the most likely broadcast date for this (taping date was likely a week or two in advance). As Trent mentioned in his tweets, they made a special trip to film it, and it doesn't sound like they were on tour at the time (contrary to my earlier supposition). They finished touring on Aug. 4, 1990, so this would fit that timeline.
This also fits with the Kelly Ripa timeline. No site seems to have her "hosting" dates for Dance Party, but we do know she was working for All My Children by November of 1990.

frankie teardrop
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
This looks exactly like the Dancefloor or a club I used to go to in England called The Hacienda

man, pretty jealous you were there for the hacienda days...

BRoswell
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Classic damage control. "Oh, we did it to make fun of them!"

Riiiiight.

I have no reason to believe he was lying about that. Regardless of the nature of Pretty Hate Machine, Dance Party USA was DEFINITELY not the kind of venue they would go to under normal circumstances. Also, look at his reaction in the Closure video. Joke or not, he still seems to be a bit annoyed at being there.

carpenoctem
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Haha, even Pitchfork (http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45955-watch-rare-amazing-footage-of-nine-inch-nails-performing-on-dance-party-usa-in-the-late-1980s/) found this newsworthy!

allegro
03-29-2012, 03:48 PM
man, pretty jealous you were there for the hacienda days...
Funny, that embarrassing white 80s hair Dance Party video makes me proud to have grown up in Detroit (http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=2691)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScrghVh15s&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL8866C55321759DA8

I do love the pink scrunchie, though. That's awesome. Only dudes with balls wear pink scrunchies.

TheBang
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Actually, I have to revise this. Discogs and NINWiki have the single release date for HLAH as Mar. 20, 1990, and that seems correct as it charted on Billboard on Mar. 31. So, with the lead times on manufacturing CD's, it had to have been broadcast sometime before Feb. 1990. Quite frankly, I don't know what to think at this time. Everything we know about Lee Mars points to him being with NIN later, yet that's clearly him in the Dance Party video. I don't know whether to take those calendar dates literally, in which case it would have to be Nov. 1989.

peter
03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
could someone point out said easter egg(s) from closure. I wasn't even aware there were any. How would I watch them?

butter_hole
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
could someone point out said easter egg(s) from closure. I wasn't even aware there were any. How would I watch them?
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/830-Dance-Party-US-fucking-A?p=24321#post24321

fillow
03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
all this discussion led me to digging up what good ol' alt.music.nin has to say (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.nin/search?hl=en&q="dance+party+usa"&start=0&hl=en&) about this stuff. At least the story about Trent doing it just for teh lulz seems to be consistent over the years.

is it possible to determine the date by their hair though? :) we've got plenty of Hate tour videos so we can just compare.

as for lee mars. He wasn't necessarily a part of live band at the time since we don't know for sure if they were on tour at the time. but he could've been just someone's friend, you never know all the connections. I was surprised to find that Nick Rushe (NIN keyboardist on Peter Murphy support tour) had a credit on Exotic Birds album, that was clearly done a couple of years before NIN.

flashback8
03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Actually, I have to revise this. Discogs and NINWiki have the single release date for HLAH as Mar. 20, 1990, and that seems correct as it charted on Billboard on Mar. 31. So, with the lead times on manufacturing CD's, it had to have been broadcast sometime before Feb. 1990. Quite frankly, I don't know what to think at this time. Everything we know about Lee Mars points to him being with NIN later, yet that's clearly him in the Dance Party video. I don't know whether to take those calendar dates literally, in which case it would have to be Nov. 1989.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Nov. '89. It makes sense for a few reasons.

-PHM had just come out, so it makes sense that TVT would ask Trent to go on TV.
-DII was "played." That was the first single, released around the same time as PHM. Most of the time, when bands go on TV, they play their latest single.
-Reruns are what are typically played in the summer, especially in August. September - May is (or at least was, before cable brought us 5000 TV stations) the typical slot for new TV shows to be broadcast, including syndicated ones.
-Trent's wearing a pink scrunchie in his hair. Just sayin'. :)

EDIT: also, remember that Trent was pretty much on tour for all of 1990, along with recording stuff with Ministry/RevCo and Pigface. He also jumped right from a summer headlining tour into a RevCo tour in Aug. '90. So, it would've been very difficult to have time off, only to burn three days of it driving to NJ from Cleveland (presumably), doing the show and then driving home.

Oh, and while I'm being OCD like a motherfucker, there was a show in NY in Oct. '89. Taking an extra day to do the taping while in the area presumably would've been easy.

halloween
03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
This is great. I also noticed the scrunchie right away, heh.

BRoswell
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
According to Stereogum (http://stereogum.com/988791/watch-nine-inch-nails-play-dance-party-usa-1989/video/), the date the performance aired was December 2nd, 1989. I'm not sure where they got that date from.

flashback8
03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
According to Stereogum (http://stereogum.com/988791/watch-nine-inch-nails-play-dance-party-usa-1989/video/), the date the performance aired was December 2nd, 1989. I'm not sure where they got that date from.

Looks like they got it from this site (http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/dpusa/nineinnails.html), which appears to be the old DPUSA web site. (Jeebus H. Keerist, that thing's ugly.) So, I guess the mystery's kinda sorta solved.

gorast
03-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Looks like they got it from this site (http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/dpusa/nineinnails.html), which appears to be the old DPUSA web site. (Jeebus H. Keerist, that thing's ugly.) So, I guess the mystery's kinda sorta solved.
It hurts so much to look at that.

BenAkenobi
03-30-2012, 12:43 AM
...brain, brain, go away, come again some other day!

Frozen Beach
03-30-2012, 01:31 AM
As hilarious as this is, it's still not as bad as the footage of Maynard James Keenan in his early band Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. Be thankful for that Trent!

WorzelG
03-30-2012, 03:11 AM
What scares me is the idea that the 'dancers' on these things are usually screened for dancing ability

TheBang
03-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Nice work on finding the broadcast date.

Also, we can put to rest the rumor that "Let's hear it for Nine Inch Nails..." is Kelly Ripa. That lady at the beginning is clearly not Kelly Ripa. Someone edited NinWiki (http://www.ninwiki.com/index.php?title=Untitled_(from_Head_Like_A_Hole)&curid=6005&diff=33298&oldid=32883) and said that the host's name is Heather Day. Also, Kelly Ripa was a "Regular (http://omni2000.com/regulars/regulars.html)" dancer, not a host.

Hazekiah
03-30-2012, 04:51 AM
THANK YOU.

Man, SO glad to hear someone else say that! I was always content to go along with the Kelly Ripa assumption since I figured whoever made it HAD to know more about the subject than ME, lol, but it's been bugging me since you posted that video and I could finally see the host for myself.

Even googling era-appropriate pictures of Kelly Ripa has left me struggling to see much of a resemblance.

But Heather Day?

http://www.mainstreetmallonline.com/fanstuff/members/buhhoe2/listings/122410MSMO399.jpg

Yup, that's dead-on.

ninjaw
03-30-2012, 06:24 AM
I suddenly have an april joke in head, someone got photoshop skill ?
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1228/trentt.jpg

Maximilian
03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm loving this. I watched it again today and probably will tomorrow.

Total early NIN nostalgia.

flashback8
03-30-2012, 07:42 AM
As hilarious as this is, it's still not as bad as the footage of Maynard James Keenan in his early band Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. Be thankful for that Trent!

Ha! Very true.

Speaking of embarrassing videos of Trent, didn't somebody dig up video of Trent in his first band (or one of his first bands), or maybe even footage from high school? I remember something about a "strategically ripped t-shirt" or something similar. I've seen pre-NIN footage but nothing quite that laughter-inducing.

Also, let's not forget that a fellow Nothing band had an interesting run-in with lip-syncing on a national TV show. :)

had an interesting run-in with lip-syncing on a national TV show. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBYqNj7Rrh4)

Granted, that one's kinda awesome just for the middle finger given to everybody involved.

acidpolly
03-30-2012, 07:53 AM
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=171989
Embarrassing NINE INCH NAILS Video Surfaces Online
embarassing. STFU, blabbermouth! :)

also I don't get Skrillex reply
http://www.prefixmag.com/news/trent-reznor-jokes-about-skrillexs-haircut/63834/

fillow
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Slam Bamboo FTW

TheBang
03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Also, let's not forget that a fellow Nothing band had an interesting run-in with lip-syncing on a national TV show. :)

Well, actually, there's no lip-synching going on there. It's just the backing track. But yes, that performance is great, especially with all those old people. I miss the real PWEI so much; not that tribute band currently touring the UK.

icklekitty
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=171989
Embarrassing NINE INCH NAILS Video Surfaces Online
embarassing. STFU, blabbermouth! :)

also I don't get Skrillex reply
http://www.prefixmag.com/news/trent-reznor-jokes-about-skrillexs-haircut/63834/

In the same way you can publish someone else's music if you give them royalties, Trent's saying Skillrex owes him royalties on that haircut.

It's kind of cool that this Skillrex person knows about Exotic Birds.

sheepdean
03-30-2012, 08:47 AM
It's kind of cool that this Skillrex person knows about Exotic Birds.Atticus worked with Skrillex when he was still Sonny Moore, maybe they jammed to Exotic Birds together, and styled each other's hair on old Trent designs.

acidpolly
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
oh I couldn't even imagine he knows about Exotic Birds :) I thought he meant something else.
hahaha really funny he knows the whole story, maybe he's a fan :)

Maximilian
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
oh I couldn't even imagine he knows about Exotic Birds :) I thought he meant something else.
hahaha really funny he knows the whole story, maybe he's a fan :)

Pshh, I'm more inclined to think he just looked at wikipedia, because in those Exotic Birds vids Trent's hair is kinda sorta short....

allegro
03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Also, Kelly Ripa was a "Regular (http://omni2000.com/regulars/regulars.html)" dancer, not a host.

Yeah, she was really young, too, see this: http://starcasm.net/archives/115457

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Kelly_Ripa_dancin_on_air.gif

hobochic
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
This thing is like "In Bloom" but for real and with no sense of irony. Kinda desperate but refreshing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgKEjNBHqM

MAD
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Mildly off-topic, I love the embed video option! And you can see right here why.

botley
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Skrillex's reply was pretty golden. We are through the looking glass, here, people!

allegro
03-30-2012, 06:19 PM
It was awesome sarcasm.

mrfang
04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Speaking of embarrassing videos of Trent, didn't somebody dig up video of Trent in his first band (or one of his first bands), or maybe even footage from high school? I remember something about a "strategically ripped t-shirt" or something similar. I've seen pre-NIN footage but nothing quite that laughter-inducing.

There's the laughter-inducing cover of Billy Idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPcE-5YWKI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL8CF4C683A99C01A4

The plaid vest is even better than a strategically ripped t-shirt.

I think I need to upload my version of this VHS tape, since it's a few generations better than the YouTube versions.

aggroculture
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Skrillex knows his shit yo

WorzelG
04-02-2012, 11:38 AM
^^^
Come on, nothing can hold a candle for embarrassment to Slam Bamboo - what I love about this video is you can tell Trent is trying to merge into the background but the guy then goes and gives him a shout out in the interview drawing attention to him. Who recorded these videos??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0foccuYinFI

hobochic
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Trent sure had the suck turned up all the way to eleven back then

Space Suicide
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
There's the laughter-inducing cover of Billy Idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPcE-5YWKI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL8CF4C683A99C01A4

The plaid vest is even better than a strategically ripped t-shirt.

I think I need to upload my version of this VHS tape, since it's a few generations better than the YouTube versions.

Never seen that before but it is great! Not a bad cover to be honest.

butter_hole
04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Trent used to be fuckin handsome!

Space Suicide
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Trent used to be fuckin handsome!

Don't lie. I have photo evidence that says otherwise.

Hazekiah
04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't lie. I photo evidence that says otherwise.

YOU LIE.

Fucking iPhoto didn't even exist back then.

Space Suicide
04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
YOU LIE.

Fucking iPhoto didn't even exist back then.

Don't make me take out the infamous Closer photo.

PQHooligan
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
So I apologize if this was brought up on the old ETS, but does anyone have this, and is it a worthwhile listen?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Livin%27_in_the_Street.jpg

Hazekiah
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Don't make me take out the infamous Closer photo.

Well, if we're talking about taking things out here then I'd say that sounds more like red robe territory.

ItsJustDave
04-02-2012, 11:25 PM
So I apologize if this was brought up on the old ETS, but does anyone have this, and is it a worthwhile listen?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Livin'_in_the_Street.jpg

He's on the cover. He's credited with keyboards on the back. But he didn't perform a single note on the record as he joined the band after it was recorded. I believe I've heard it at some point, but can't say I remember any details.

fillow
04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
^^^
Come on, nothing can hold a candle for embarrassment to Slam Bamboo - what I love about this video is you can tell Trent is trying to merge into the background but the guy then goes and gives him a shout out in the interview drawing attention to him. Who recorded these videos??

I believe the Slam Bamboo videos were originally uploaded by Ron Musarra (their drummer, also NIN drummer in 1988)

acidpolly
04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
This Billy Idol cover is very cool, I dunno what's supposed to be funny about it (except for TR looking like a common guy, not the NIN guy)
that's all I have to say :)

WorzelG
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
^^^
didn't Billy Idol recently make some comment about being honoured to have Trent cover his song?

hobochic
04-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, if we're talking about taking things out here then I'd say that sounds more like red robe territory.

Ah, Red Robe, long forgotten territory. Gollum must be going nuts with Red Robe...

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky36arKwZI1qb61xho1_500.jpg

ItsJustDave
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Option 30 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jqx1m6).

PQHooligan
04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I thought that was the more obvious one that didn't need a mention :P

ninjaw
04-05-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Option 30 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jqx1m6).

Nice upload i din't have flac for this but i think the date is not 97 but 85, also i have a copy of the back cover

ItsJustDave
04-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Nice upload i din't have flac for this but i think the date is not 97 but 85, also i have a copy of the back cover

Dating it is a tricky problem. The disc itself was released in 1997. As it's unclear if they ever released anything "officially" (this was just a packaging of a demo and radio interview), I felt it appropriate to use the date of actual release. Similarly, we don't use 2000 as the date for AATCHB.

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Someone up'd it to Youtube already. At least it was up an hour ago since I linked to it on Facebook.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

owns the Glee guys anytime...

TheBang
05-03-2020, 08:12 PM
I just wanted to make a note that it was really hard to figure out where this was taped and that bugged me for years. All the information on the Internet was saying Dance Party USA was taped in Philadelphia or in Ocean City, NJ. Well, it wasn't true. Philly is only where it was produced and Ocean City was only for beach episodes in the summer.

The end credits of this video finally gave me the clues I needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMu436ncMw

(the set matches Nine Inch Nails' episode and this Christmas episode was taped just weeks after NIN). Dance Party USA was taped at Power House Recording Studio in Camden, NJ. And with that studio name, I was able to find this corroborating information (https://www.yelp.com/biz/power-house-recording-studios-camden) that the studio was owned by one of the show's producers.

sickamongthepure
05-04-2020, 08:01 AM
Could someone reupload the video from the first post (sendspace link), please? TheBang

Erneuert
05-04-2020, 10:08 AM
I just wanted to make a note that it was really hard to figure out where this was taped and that bugged me for years. All the information on the Internet was saying Dance Party USA was taped in Philadelphia or in Ocean City, NJ. Well, it wasn't true. Philly is only where it was produced and Ocean City was only for beach episodes in the summer.

The end credits of this video finally gave me the clues I needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMu436ncMw

(the set matches Nine Inch Nails' episode and this Christmas episode was taped just weeks after NIN). Dance Party USA was taped at Power House Recording Studio in Camden, NJ. And with that studio name, I was able to find this corroborating information (https://www.yelp.com/biz/power-house-recording-studios-camden) that the studio was owned by one of the show's producers.

Plus there is an interview transcript in the first comment of the YouTube video posted above. TR says “(I think) NJ”.

TheBang
05-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Plus there is an interview transcript in the first comment of the YouTube video posted above. TR says “(I think) NJ”.
Yup that’s what bothered me about it too, and Ocean City NJ didn’t seem right.

OSPF
05-04-2020, 09:56 PM
So that's where the "let's hear it for Nine Inch Nails" sample is from. Woah!