PDA

View Full Version : pretty eight machine - chiptune tribute album by Inverse Phase

BenAkenobi
03-28-2012, 03:50 AM
project overview http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inversephase/nine-inch-nintendos-8-bit-nails-something-like-tha 1st finished song here http://d1ej5r2t2cu524.cloudfront.net/inversephase/hump-day-quickie-two-new-tracks/13657-inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/singles this guy seems to be slightly more communicative than AAISAD p. s. in all seriousness, why must everything nin-related since 2008 struggle with all sorts of delays???

MAD
03-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm very sure there was a thread about this on the old ETS.
I know the project and I hope I'm sure it'll turn out great.

InversePhase
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi. I'm that guy you're talking about up there. Didn't realise the forums got replaced. I wasn't getting notifications from the old ETS forums so I'm sorry if I missed any questions that were asked between my last reply and when it vanished.

My big delays are explained on the kickstarter (click the Updates tab) and are there for all to see. Long story short, a 4 month move to another state and an abusive landlord. Things are good for me where I am now but money has been tight the entire time so I've had to pick up a few odd jobs along the way to pay the bills. I'm making very good headway (as we speak, actually) on the album, and I am in a good, supportive place to do it. Lots of tracks are outright complete, and almost all of the rest are several minutes in. Right now I'm just trying to stay motivated and keep the momentum up. One or two of them I started over upwards of a half a dozen times but are finally progressing.

One story that hasn't made it up to the Kickstarter updates yet is the annoying story of procuring licensing. It seemed to take months (exaggeration aside, probably still weeks) to get through to anyone, and I kept getting bounced back and forth between Bicycle and Rebel Waltz. Basically, no one wanted to take responsibility for hearing me out and telling me the exact process they wanted me to go through. Finally, I made a good contact at Rebel Waltz that helped me through. Cheers to that.

Anyway, as long as forum notifications work here, please feel free to post questions and I'll try to reply to you in a reasonable timeframe. Due to the large amount of negative feedback I received towards the beginning of the project, I'd like to ask for a little bit of respect; if you have a question, I don't mind if it is critical or constructive, but I would appreciate if you at least keep it civil.

InversePhase
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
For anyone interested, I've posted some recent updates on the project that shed a lot of insight as to where I'm at, etc. here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inversephase/nine-inch-nintendos-8-bit-nails-something-like-tha/posts
An interview about P8M with a few small anecdotes that aren't in my project updates also just went live: http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/04/16/music-monday-a-chat-with-inverse-phase-on-nine-inch-nails-magfest-and-phony-chiptuners/

cheddamash
04-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Very cool. I'll have to check this out.

Oblong Cheese
04-20-2012, 02:06 AM
I didn't get an opportunity to fund the project. How can I buy a CD / best support your effort & get a copy of the tracks?

InversePhase
04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Yo!

Once I'm finished, Pretty Eight Machine "regular edition" will go up on Bandcamp. There'll be a physical CD and a download. Which you buy is totally up to you, I receive about the same percentage either way, each will have the same artwork/etc. Really the best way you can support though it is to make some noise on facebook and twitter about it when it releases, or tell anyone you know that might be interested. The "special edition" tracks will only be available as a download if you weren't a part of the kickstarter,

Thanks so much for your interest!

Leviathant
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
When this project showed up on the old ETS, I was cautiously optimistic.

I'm really excited to hear the whole thing come together. Not sure I can say any more than that :)

MAD
04-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I will buy it. I would like to get the physical CD, will have to see how much is the shipping.

InversePhase
04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
When this project showed up on the old ETS, I was cautiously optimistic.
I'm really excited to hear the whole thing come together. Not sure I can say any more than that :)
Well, at the very least, the secret that you're on the listening team is now out. Whoops! Matt, you're welcome to share any feelings you have on the album here....just not the WIP tracks, please. =] Naturally, I hope others will take into consideration that we're talking about a work in progress.

I will buy it. I would like to get the physical CD, will have to see how much is the shipping.
I just checked the rates with my CD distributor, and they vary wildly; $4.30 for standard Air Mail, $32.00 for "Priority Mail International", both have the same delivery times according to their estimates, so unless you've had difficulty getting standard mail from the US, I'd go with the first option!

BenAkenobi
05-26-2012, 09:15 AM
according to http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine
the release is on 12th June

i almost preordered the CD but i remembered something about special (extended) edition initially planned, has that been dropped?

InversePhase
05-26-2012, 09:39 AM
according to http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine
the release is on 12th June

i almost preordered the CD but i remembered something about special (extended) edition initially planned, has that been dropped?

Hi Ben and everyone else, sorry I didn't post earlier about the preorder. Bandcamp allows you to give people a track with their preorder and I was hoping to wait until I had that up and working, but since Only Time is already a free download, I guess it's safe to say go nuts.

The way the editions are handled:

Actual CD: Regular edition available to everyone. Special edition contains regular edition tracks and some b-sides, extras, etc. The physical CD is only available to kickstarter backers.
Downloadable album: Regular edition releases now. Special edition tracks release later as a sort-of "b-sides EP" -- that is, I'm not gonna make you download the P8M tracks a second time -- that just feels redundant to me. So you'll still be able to download them when they come out. I don't want you to feel like you're paying for the same album twice either, so that's why I'm splitting them up that way. I will try to price appropriately (probably another 5 bucks for the SE download). As a side bonus, if you decide you don't like what I've done "to" Pretty Hate Machine, this way you're not out as much money, I guess? =]

Does that help?

BenAkenobi
05-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes, that surely helps. Thanks for explaining it thoroughly, except i see Kickstarter doesn't allow orders anymore, it means i missed out on SE on CD, right?

InversePhase
05-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes, that surely helps. Thanks for explaining it thoroughly, except i see Kickstarter doesn't allow orders anymore, it means i missed out on SE on CD, right?
Yeah. Really sorry about that, but I wanted to reward people that jumped on the kickstarter -- after all, if it hadn't succeeded, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford the rights to release the album, etc -- and making sure the Special Edition CD was limited seemed like the easiest way to do it. I might do a few giveaways or something but at least this way you still have a few choices so you can pick the one that suits you the best.

InversePhase
05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Just a heads up that kickstarter backers just got their surveys today and download codes will start going out to them once I get most of them back; I've got one or two tracks to finish for some other gigs and then I'm polishing off the rest of P8M, putting it up on bandcamp, and calling the regular edition good.

Then I work on the SE tracks, and when they're ready to go, I have a lot more work to do. =]

InversePhase
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Don't mean to keep bumping the thread, but release is set. Thursday the 14th (or the 15th if you're in europe/asia/australia) is the day. There'll be a listening/release party with a live IRC chat if anyone wants to join in. If the timing sucks, you can just listen all the way through on the bandcamp once it's out and ask questions here.

Point is, you're all invited!

Anyway, full details on the kickstarter update including where/how to listen and fb event here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inversephase/nine-inch-nintendos-8-bit-nails-something-like-tha/posts/240019

InversePhase
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
100% of the composition is complete, onto mastering.

or, this: https://twitter.com/inversephase/status/213027771004362752

glad the radio show is tomorrow and not today. =]

MAD
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Bump! Four hours to go!! I'll be a wreck tomorrow at work, this will be at 5AM for me.

DigitalChaos
06-14-2012, 09:32 PM
lol. I am listening to the radio show. Downloadin' It is playing. The "voice" sounds like Flat Beat Eric talking. I can only imagine that puppet dressed up like Trent while signing this.

InversePhase
06-14-2012, 11:19 PM
The album is officially released! Listening to the entire thing is free if for whatever reason you don't want to buy it: http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine

bgalbraith
06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
The album is officially released! Listening to the entire thing is free if for whatever reason you don't want to buy it: http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine

Really enjoying this so far. I like how you did the voice for Downloadin' It.. it gives me some ideas ;)

Henrie_Schnee
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I listened to the songs you posted and I really, really like the results! Great job, InversePhase.
However, what I really LOVE is that artwork you (or you collaborators) came up with... and I wanted to ask, if you could upload a high-res version somewhere... because I'd really like to hang it up as a poster on my new flats wall. That would set the right mood... from the beginning!

In turn, I'll promise to order the CD as soon as I re-activated my PayPal-Account - and spread the word, of course.

Will The MIDI Spiral be next?

Leviathant
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm curious to hear what people have to say about the album - if you for any reason can't buy it from Bandcamp, but have listened to the stream and like what you hear, share your thoughts here. Next week I'll pull a name at random and I'll hook you up.

Personally, I've had the pleasure of hearing it as it developed, and I was impressed from the first download. I thought I might get tired of it as it progressed, but each MP3 that came my way upheld a standard of quality that had my psyched for when I would have all ten tracks, and could finally listen to the reconstructed album from start to finish. I've heard a number of chiptune covers in the past, some good, most merely passable. The attention to detail that InversePhase has is pretty incredible.

adrenalinejunkie
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I had a perpetual smile listening to this entire thing. Very well done!

bgalbraith
06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm curious to hear what people have to say about the album - if you for any reason can't buy it from Bandcamp, but have listened to the stream and like what you hear, share your thoughts here. Next week I'll pull a name at random and I'll hook you up.

Personally, I've had the pleasure of hearing it as it developed, and I was impressed from the first download. I thought I might get tired of it as it progressed, but each MP3 that came my way upheld a standard of quality that had my psyched for when I would have all ten tracks, and could finally listen to the reconstructed album from start to finish. I've heard a number of chiptune covers in the past, some good, most merely passable. The attention to detail that InversePhase has is pretty incredible.

I agree, the whole album was a solid tribute to the source. I'm especially impressed with the usage of so many different platforms. Having done my own 8-bit compositions on the GameBoy, and knowing how cumbersome the tools can be to work with, just adds to the appreciation I have for the effort InversePhase put into this. Combine that with the fact that, while guitar tabs or piano transcriptions of songs are typically available and give you a great starting point, there are rarely vocal note transcriptions available (or I just don't know where to look). That is a tremendous job of transcription to get the rhythm and tonal quality of the vocal track to match up as well as it does.

I must confess the only *minor* disappointment I had was there was no "Get Down 8-Bit Love" bonus track :)

Awesome job.

otnavuskire
06-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I was pretty skeptical about this at first, but I ended up loving it.

Oblong Cheese
06-15-2012, 11:14 PM
I had a perpetual smile listening to this entire thing. Very well done!

+1 to this.

I think of chiptunes as an amusing novelty, so I was interested to see what a full conversion of PHM to PEM would actually do to the album. I seriously think it's a great cover. The cheekyness of the 8-bit sounds emulating the emotion and rawness of PHM puts a huge smile on my face for some reason. For lack of a better phrase, it's kind of like a cute and cuddly version of PHM - but don't take that negatively! It's meant as a compliment.

I am also super impressed by the actual production/mastering/cover itself. I don't really know much about chiptunes, but this is definitely not like a MIDI cover. It's so much more, and better, it's great.

thelastdisciple
06-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Getting lots of buzz!

http://loudwire.com/nine-inch-nails-album-pretty-hate-machine-gets-an-8-bit-makeover/

For lack of a better phrase, it's kind of like a cute and cuddly version of PHM - but don't take that negatively! It's meant as a compliment.
Yes this!

It's basically a genius parody in every positive fashion of the word, some parodies can be degrading or completely insulting when compared to the original source but this just sounds fantastic and it's so innocent!

I've only listened to the stream but i had to hear it in full, I'm huge on 8-bit chiptunes as a genre of music... it's amazing how a technical constraint of the past when compared to today can ultimately produce intentional works of art. I've read some critiques of this just being noise-y nonsense but that couldn't be further from the truth as far as I'm concerned.

TR would be proud.

exilajei
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Ordered the CD, will blast it driving down the street with absolutely no regard of what other people are probably going to think.

Fantastic work man. These are probably the best 8-bit covers I've ever heard.

InversePhase
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey! First of all, I want to thank everyone for their stellar support and positive feedback. It feels good...really good. Second, I was gone for the weekend and I'm just getting around to replying to these. Hope you guys don't mind me just snipping everything up and replying in one go.

However, what I really LOVE is that artwork you (or you collaborators) came up with... and I wanted to ask, if you could upload a high-res version somewhere... because I'd really like to hang it up as a poster on my new flats wall. That would set the right mood... from the beginning!
What I would recommend, personally, is to just click on the album cover on the bandcamp, and that will give you the top res. version that I submitted. Save, print. Zoom without any interpolation to retain the effect. There isn't a "smoothed out" version because, well, I pixelated everything on purpose, 8-bit/retro systems and all that, so that would be the best way to DIY your own poster.

Will The MIDI Spiral be next?
My availability is probably shot for about the next year. I have three game soundtrack contracts that I should be working on (they were even booked before P8M, actually), but the outpouring support I've gotten from everyone has me pretty floored. It's completely the polar opposite of what people said when I first announced that I was gonna do P8M. Also, I have a few buyers that are talking about commissioning other (NIN) albums and such...all I can say is, let me finish what's on my plate and then we'll figure out where to go from there.

I am also super impressed by the actual production/mastering/cover itself. I don't really know much about chiptunes, but this is definitely not like a MIDI cover. It's so much more, and better, it's great.
I "shoinked" this comment next to the above one because I want to clear the air about a few things. Mainly, no proper chiptune is MIDI. There's a lot of confusion about how the two relate.

There's a program called GXSCC that will play MIDI files as "chiptunes" (the "8-bit remix"es you see all over youtube), but it doesn't follow any rules/limitations of the original sounds, per se. It's just acting as a synth with the sounds from the SCC. You can hear some similarities between the "instruments" in SYNCtified and any of these GXSCC tunes because it does somewhat faithfully reproduce the sounds of that chip...just...there's more to making an authentic chiptune than that. I usually call GXSCC tunes "riptunes" for that reason.
MIDI allows you to assign an instrument to a channel and then just go nuts with as many notes at a time as you can play with that instrument. Most of the time, chiptunes are limited to 3, maybe 4 notes at a time, total, period.
MIDI is a language that says what the instrument is but doesn't define what it sounds like. "Grand Piano" sounds different on 43276 different MIDI synthesizers. Chiptunes, by contrast, you've got a square wave (or other possible waveforms) but they are always the same waveform and it always sounds the same. MIDI cannot dictate "this is what the waveform looks like for this instrument".
"Chiptunes" as a term specifically refers to sound chips making sounds. So like, in an Atari, the POKEY chip accepts commands like "channel 1: frequency value 172, volume value 7, waveform 2". But the chip actually produces the sound from those instructions on its own, it doesn't poke a DSP or some other chip with a wavetable to produce sounds.

Anyway, it doesn't really bother me because this is all really technical and full of jargon and I realise a lot of people just plain don't know the difference, but you can often upset a (real) chiptuner by calling their music MIDI. On the other hand, if it sounds like a MIDI rip, it may very well be one! A non-chiptuner might just be going for that aesthetic and just not know how to categorize their music.

OK. TECHNICAL MODE OFF.

Combine that with the fact that, while guitar tabs or piano transcriptions of songs are typically available and give you a great starting point, there are rarely vocal note transcriptions available (or I just don't know where to look). That is a tremendous job of transcription to get the rhythm and tonal quality of the vocal track to match up as well as it does.
Don't mean to toot my own horn (well, maybe a little :)) but I can't read sheet music. Or tabs. Or anything really. I do it all by ear/hand and I don't use other people's transcriptions.

I must confess the only *minor* disappointment I had was there was no "Get Down 8-Bit Love" bonus track :)
A little bird told me that you might be able to find it in the Special Edition....hmmm...wonder if that's true? =]

TR would be proud.
Man, I really hope he is. I have no idea. I'm already following him on twitter but if anyone catches him saying anything I would love to know about it.

Anyway, thanks again for all your kind words, and feel free to ask me questions in the thread!

Shnoorum
06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
My god the album is brilliant. I wasn't too sold on the concept when I heard about it but I've been listening to some of the tracks on the site and it's fantastic. Never knew I had such a boner for chiptunes untill now. When I get paid, I really have to pick a copy up. Preferably a cd copy but I live in the UK so I'm assuming shipping may be a bitch. CD or otherwise however, I'm gonna totally buy the hell out of it. InversePhase, I salute you, ya talented sunnabitch!

InversePhase
06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words! International shipping is currently 8 USD so the minimum you'll be able to get a physical copy for is $18. If that's worth it to you, go for it, otherwise I won't be upset if you get the digital!

Shnoorum
06-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Ah thats not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I've been hit pretty bad by international shipping in the past so I always assume it's gonna be upward of £10. Awesome sauce, you got yourself a sale (when I get paid)

InversePhase
06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Ah thats not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I've been hit pretty bad by international shipping in the past so I always assume it's gonna be upward of £10. Awesome sauce, you got yourself a sale (when I get paid)
Yeah... crazy things have happened with postal rates here lately. In the US we have a flat-rate "regular post" shipping option here called Priority Mail, which is really a great option for sending anything within the country. You can put anything in a priority mail box up to 31.8kg and ship it for whatever price is attached to the box; the small boxes start at 5-6usd so even though you're unlikely to be able to get that much in a small box, you can see the price of shipping is very competitive.

So, we have another similar option called Priority Mail International, which used to be around $14 for the smaller boxes, same box sizes, etc but recently that rate shot up to $30 or $35 in one price jump. It's insane. I'm pretty sure that's where your shipping woes are coming from. With my CD distributor, I have two Air Mail options (although I'm sure Priority Mail International is also shipped by air...hmph). I haven't had any complaints yet, so I try to use the cheapest one to keep costs down.

Hope this helps!

InversePhase
06-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey everyone, here's some automatically-generated previews of the physical product. They're mostly accurate, although I know for a fact that these guys do not actually slice the image around the hub of the disc, so that image will be continuous without breaks towards the center of the disc.
http://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=BS&PID=PX00GV08UJhttp://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=FO&PID=PX00GV08UJ
http://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=FS&PID=PX00GV08UJhttp://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=BO&PID=PX00GV08UJ
http://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=LI&PID=PX00GV08UJhttp://kunaki.com/ProductImage.ASP?T=I&ST=RI&PID=PX00GV08UJ
If you want to see a sample disc image (of a real disc scan) from these guys, try this one (http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=57157). You'll see the lack of break around the hub.

I've ordered my sample copy. Assuming they're good, I'll begin shipping worldwide. If you don't care to wait and you already ordered a CD, contact me on this form (http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/releases?action=contact) and tell me you don't care if there are errors. I just don't want to have to deal with the hassle of returns, but I triple-checked the master before uploading it and I've actually never gotten a bad disc from these guys.

ManBurning
06-27-2012, 02:55 AM
This is really well done! Amazing work. I really like the artwork as well. My faviourte track was SIN, thought that one was really awesome. Overall the whole package was great though.

Really appreciate the effort that went into making this project. Chiptunes have the tendency to get annoying after a lengthy period of listening, However I did not feel that was the case with this at all. Probably because the songs were recognizable enough to something I really enjoy (NIN) that it was a pleasure to listen too.

I wouldn't mind a physical copy, I Live in Canada, so i'm guessing the $8 international shipping would apply? It's not a huge priority at the moment, but it's something i'm going to consider if I have some spare ca$h.

shagg_187
06-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Umm... yeah. This is fucking amazing! Commodore 64's beats are so recognizable and amazing. I can definitely tell what sound configuration is used where. Great work!!

jmtd
06-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Did you get any interesting insights into the construction of PHM whilst studying it for P8M? Sounds you hadn't heard properly before, or structures that you hadn't considered but - when analysed - caught your attention for some reason?

InversePhase
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I Live in Canada, so i'm guessing the $8 international shipping would apply? It's not a huge priority at the moment, but it's something i'm going to consider if I have some spare ca$h.
Canada shipping is 6 USD.

Did you get any interesting insights into the construction of PHM whilst studying it for P8M? Sounds you hadn't heard properly before, or structures that you hadn't considered but - when analysed - caught your attention for some reason?
That's a really good question. Overall I think I had a few "oh shit, I didn't notice that" moments...let's see... this is half answering your question and half post-mortem.... hope you don't mind:

Head Like A Hole, not really... I'm pretty familiar with this track.... picking apart the filter guitar and coming up with a suitable arrangement of it was kind of a challenge.
Terrible Lie. Leviathant pointed out that my synth notes in the chorus weren't quite right before release and I fixed those. I always heard them differently.
Down In It. I think I'm more intimately familiar with the inflections of the spoken parts than I ever wanted to be. Oh well.
Sanctified, so many nuances in this one that had to be very closely analysed. But in this case it's less about the structures and notes and more about the specific sounds themselves since the sound configuration on this one enabled me to more closely imitate waveforms.
I definitely didn't realise how closely the industrial percussive things in Something I Can Never Have sounded like Sega Master System whitenoise until I actually wrote the song. I'm surprised how other cover artists could get the piano notes wrong in this one...?
Kinda I Want To took a bunch of retries on certain parts. Lots of nuances in this one too. I didn't realise the three guitar blasts at the very end of this went on for so many patterns before I paid attention to it. I originally thought the little quick beeps (around 2:50) were slightly different notes (I think one note was off in my original version). I originally didn't realise Trent hit different notes in "To" when he's repeatedly singing "I... Want....To...!" at the end (hope people didn't mind the interpretation there). Although I always noticed it, the synth slowly getting more and more dirty was a big challenge.
I didn't realise how complicated the farty trumpet/whistle/whatever thing was in this and that it changed with each iteration. I started over on this track over a dozen times probably. I didn't realise how FUCKING LOUD the guitar blasts were, my original had more "faithful" levels (that is, volume of guitar blasts compared to rest of song) but they were kind of painful at those levels so I equalized them out. Someone on reddit mentioned that arps make them think of "song rainbows" so I gimped this image together in a flash for them: http://i.imgur.com/3RQ0K.jpg
That's What I Get. This song just came together beautifully. I never really studied the sort of weird glassy (?) percussive sounds and the tones they made very well. And, embarassingly, I think I left a few of them out. Also, until I wrote the track, I never realised how many notes with one instrument lined up with another. This was a saving grace towards the end of the song where I could make, say, the voice a part of another instrument because they shared notes.
The Only Time. Man. That 80's synth chord thing is so much more prevalent in the version on Purest Feeling. I think I also screwed up and some of the drums aren't exactly perfect. The white noise on the Game Boy is better than the NES, but it's got an interesting timbre I'm not used to working with as much. I threw in the towel on stereo on this one, I didn't feel like it was worth it to have one stereo track and nine mono ones, even though GB is capable of stereo.
I guess I didn't notice how much is going on in the end of this track at first. Then when I went over everything, even though with the OPLL I had more channels than usual, I still had a lot to pack in. More than I thought I'd have to deal with. I did notice a good (well, "good") way to imitate the "short in the guitar cable" effect though...!

OVERALL (or at least applying to multiple tracks) there are two things that I really noticed once I started working on P8M.

1. Chords. Like if I just take one specific part of the song and just play the notes on one line, you get something that I like to think is a signature sound of Trent. I knew about and noticed these before, but working on a song that aims to emulate every part of it brings a new appreciation to what's going on. This might be a "duh" item, I'm just saying I feel like I level-upped here, and also it gave me ideas for original music.

2. Do some of the PHM songs last forever, or what? This is probably again more apparent to me because I was doing covers, but when you get to the end of the song, it just....KEEPS GOING! And you're like "fuck, what changed? what do I have to do to keep the song interesting? what did Trent do to keep the song interesting? I don't fucking know!" and you go and sort of reconsider everything you did for awhile.

Hope this entertains and answers you some!

screwdriver
06-28-2012, 05:39 PM
1. Chords. Like if I just take one specific part of the song and just play the notes on one line, you get something that I like to think is a signature sound of Trent. I knew about and noticed these before, but working on a song that aims to emulate every part of it brings a new appreciation to what's going on. This might be a "duh" item, I'm just saying I feel like I level-upped here, and also it gave me ideas for original music.

could you expand on that? I'm not sure I follow. Either way, thank you so much for your amazing answer and the amazing work you put together!

jmtd
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
That was a really great answer. Thanks!

InversePhase
07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
could you expand on that? I'm not sure I follow. Either way, thank you so much for your amazing answer and the amazing work you put together!

Sure. Let's use this image. Even though I don't really work in Milky much -- and this isn't my screenshot or song or anything -- but it is an environment that looks similar to what I wrote P8M in, and it'll suit us just fine for explanation purposes.

http://deliveryimages.acm.org/10.1145/1890000/1883450/10765f1.png

The light-blue background box is the cursor. You move it around with the arrow keys to enter notes, instrument/volume/effect data, and so on. The columns are individual sounds that can be played at the same time, and the rows denote time (so, there's no rests or anything and you space your notes out to get them to play for longer periods of time, etc). In this case, playing a note in any given channel will interrupt the previous sound. So, even with modern software you can recreate the behavior of old sound chips as long as you do it right.

Anyhow, in the tracker I'm using, I can tap a "preview" key so that everything on the current row sounds off at once. It doesn't play the song, or even a few bars worth or anything like that, JUST the line I'm on. So, I can move up and down throughout the song and just tap the preview key to make sure certain notes are accurate or check how certain waveforms sound together. I don't use it incredibly often, but it's handy from time to time.

In this example, tapping "preview" would play an A in the second octave with instrument 1 and an F# in the fifth octave with instrument 2 at half volume so I could hear what they sound like together. And if I didn't like the way something sounded, I could just edit the line and tap preview again to hear the difference. Or, I could go back and forth between the two. The notes don't fade out or get cut off or anything, so it's still very useful in that regard.

So, what I'm saying is, very simply, now that I have all of these NIN chiptunes written by hand, I can walk around the songs at any pace, forwards, backwards, whatever, and just tap preview at any specific point in the song and hear those notes, played on their own, all drawn out. Which gives me some cool ideas for new songs and chord progressions that I never had before.

Hopefully this makes a little more sense!

InversePhase
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
And while I'm here, this is the "actual" disc preview image without the breaks in the hub for anyone to see:

http://f0.bcbits.com/z/27/52/2752979467-1.jpg

I've shipped out every last CD except for one Ukraine order, my fulfillment house doesn't ship there for whatever reason so I am sending it out by hand.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
I just heard this for the first time and i love it. Genuis, pure genuis! The chiptune format is perfect for an album like this, i totally agree with you on Ringfinger reminicing one of the tunes from Wolfenstein 3d and other old school DOS games. Man this brings me back, back before computers came with soundcards!! Can i still buy a physical copy from your site?

steelnails95
07-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow, I really love this, sounds Amazing! Hope you can figure out the white shirts...

fettdog
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Just heard this, and just bought it! (Along with the Retrocovered album as well.)

Really good stuff here :-)

DigitalChaos
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes, getting some shirts of the album art would be awesome.

Conan The Barbarian
07-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I am really digging the Atarible Lie cover. Its fucking jammin.

InversePhase
07-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, there will definitely be shirts, and they'll be for public sale. Most of them will be black, I'm not sure how the white ones will come out (I find out tuesday, fingers crossed). If they're good, I might print more, right now I just printed some quickies for friends because realistically the black ones won't be ready for a month or two.

Mr. SM Rollinger Esquire, you can totally still purchase a copy on the site, and everyone, thanks for the compliments. =]

DigitalChaos
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
someone on remix.nin.com is trying to pass off your stuff as his: http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=26153 and http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=25487
:rolleyes:

http://remix.nin.com/member/glitchy_flame (http://remix.nin.com/member/glitchy_flame)

One of them was posted back in January. Perhaps one of the kickstarter donors?

InversePhase
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
someone on remix.nin.com is trying to pass off your stuff as his: http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=26153 and http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=25487
:rolleyes:

http://remix.nin.com/member/glitchy_flame (http://remix.nin.com/member/glitchy_flame)

One of them was posted back in January. Perhaps one of the kickstarter donors?

Groan. I don't mind the whole putting music up on youtube thing or whatever as long as they link back, but this is one thing I don't stand for. Time to send a polite request and see what happens. I don't really think it's a kickstarter donor, though. The Only Byte has been up on my bandcamp since last year for free download.

That reminds me, it's time to give away a CD.... uh.... gotta do the dishes though, I'll post later tonight!

InversePhase
07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
CD GIVEAWAY TIEMZ!

The RNG (Random Number Gods) currently favor:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/avatars/nin/phm-01.gif (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/663-jmtd) jmtd (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/663-jmtd)

and barring that (if jmtd already has a copy), they favor:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/vessel/squares/avatar498_2.gif (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/498-Conan-The-Barbarian) Conan The Barbarian (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/498-Conan-The-Barbarian)

PM sent to jmtd to claim, if not, I'll message Conan.

DigitalChaos
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Groan. I don't mind the whole putting music up on youtube thing or whatever as long as they link back, but this is one thing I don't stand for. Time to send a polite request and see what happens. I don't really think it's a kickstarter donor, though. The Only Byte has been up on my bandcamp since last year for free download.

That reminds me, it's time to give away a CD.... uh.... gotta do the dishes though, I'll post later tonight!

looks like he took them down!
I commented on each of the songs when I posted that. Within a day, ALL comments for those 2 tracks were gone and the songs were no longer associated in his main profile. The direct links still worked and he was attributed to them. now even the direct links look dead. yay!

DigitalChaos
07-26-2012, 03:18 PM
CD GIVEAWAY TIEMZ!

The RNG (Random Number Gods) currently favor:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/avatars/nin/phm-01.gif (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/663-jmtd) jmtd (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/663-jmtd)

and barring that (if jmtd already has a copy), they favor:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/vessel/squares/avatar498_2.gif (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/498-Conan-The-Barbarian) Conan The Barbarian (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/498-Conan-The-Barbarian)

PM sent to jmtd to claim, if not, I'll message Conan.
If you haven't gotten a response, you may want to resend the PM's. Email notifications were NOT going out for the last few weeks. We just got that situation fixed within the last few min.

InversePhase
07-26-2012, 04:43 PM
looks like he took them down!
I commented on each of the songs when I posted that. Within a day, ALL comments for those 2 tracks were gone and the songs were no longer associated in his main profile. The direct links still worked and he was attributed to them. now even the direct links look dead. yay!

Yeah, I took a recommendation and tweeted at rob. NIN mods guilty and swimfin jumped in and did the disassociation thing and banned the user because apparently this was his second offense at uploading others' mixes. They said they were working on manually purging the songs; looks like they succeded.

Thanks for pointing out the uploads, I may not have seen them otherwise.

If you haven't gotten a response, you may want to resend the PM's. Email notifications were NOT going out for the last few weeks. We just got that situation fixed within the last few min.

Yeah, I pointed that out to Matt a week or two ago. =] Anyway, all is well, jmtd got back to me and a CD will soon be on its way to the UK. =]

Conan The Barbarian
07-30-2012, 12:41 AM
damn lol, I was all like yay, and then all sad lol.

Still hooked on atarible lie. The chorus kicks.

InversePhase
08-01-2012, 11:23 PM
damn lol, I was all like yay, and then all sad lol.

Still hooked on atarible lie. The chorus kicks.

Sorry buddy! But thanks for the compliments, there were at least 3-4 refinements of that before the final version. =]

Jumprof
08-06-2012, 03:42 AM
I like that sound, too. It's great :-)

BenAkenobi
08-06-2012, 06:10 AM
received my copy today. looks nice indeed!
http://f3.foto.rambler.ru/preview/r/800x600/501fa514-dcc4-7c9b-2714-2f39fb62f4be/P1030254.jpg

InversePhase
08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Awesome, Ben!

Also, anyone that ordered a CD should have gotten it by now. Please contact me (PMs are fine) if it's been more than two weeks and you do not have your package yet.

jmtd
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I finally blogged about this - http://jmtd.net/log/p8m/ - sorry for the delay!

eversonpoe
06-14-2013, 05:01 PM
spotted in the new bandcamp blog post (http://blog.bandcamp.com/2013/06/12/all-new-players-up-twitter-too/) about their updated embeddable players!

http://bandcampblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/20130613-players-on-twitter.jpg?w=522&h=749

InversePhase
06-14-2013, 05:10 PM
This was pretty sweet. Wish they wouldn't have just taken a screenshot so people could click and listen....but I imagine anyone that reads it at all will google it anyhow. Also just plain awesome to get mentioned by jeb.

By the way, might as well mention for anyone wanting to watch the Special Edition come together (or if you happen to be into photography and image manipulation and want to help), I started a thread over here to get some work done on the booklet:
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1783-Call-for-photography-for-current-and-future-IP-projects

InversePhase
05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Ok, thread bump time....

Anyone that is interested, I need your help. The Special Edition audio is done. I'm a little flustered on how I should arrange the tracks and would like some suggestions. I want to get this out and done. The tracks featured as bonuses P8M SE, my current ordering of them, and their new punny titles are as follows:

- Now I'm Nothing / Terrible Lie: ______________ / InSIDious Lie
- Something I Can Never Have: Something Else You Never Had
- Purest Feeling: ______________
- Maybe Just Once: Maybe Just Ones.... (and zeroes)
- Get Down Make Love: ______________

I had originally joked that Get Down Make Love should be called "Get Done Make Love" but that's not really a nerd pun. If anyone has any ideas for the remaining tracks that'd be sweet, also I'm interested in what you think of this track order. Naturally the entirety of P8M regular edition precedes all of this.

Thanks in advance!

wizfan
05-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Now I'm NULLing
Vertice spilling (an actual programming term)
Get Down Make Overtones

InversePhase
05-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Hmmm, not bad, not sure if those are what I'm looking for, feel free to keep 'em coming =]

tony_crisp
05-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Now I'm Nodelist
Variable Lie or Parallel Lie or Peripheral Lie
Shorthand I Can Never Have or Shellscripts I Can Never Have or Substring I Can Never Have
Proxy Feeling or Process Feeling or Prolog Feeling
Get Down Make Code

Maybe?

sheepdean
05-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Ok, thread bump time....

Anyone that is interested, I need your help. The Special Edition audio is done. I'm a little flustered on how I should arrange the tracks and would like some suggestions. I want to get this out and done. The tracks featured as bonuses P8M SE, my current ordering of them, and their new punny titles are as follows:

"Now I'm 0b0"?

jessamineny
05-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Now I'm Null
(oops. Just saw wizfan's. there's two votes for you.)

InversePhase
05-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, and feel free to submit more if you think of them. Still looking for the perfect ones to use.

Also, what do you think of the order?

BRoswell
05-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Bit Down Make Love?

No, that's horrible. Don't use that one.

ManBurning
05-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Are there plans to make any of the other albums in 8-bit chiptune form? I think Year Zero would work really well and maybe even The Downward Spiral. Would love to hear those in this style.

BenAkenobi
05-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Get DOOM Make WOLF3D (with PC-speaker samples from DOS games)

InversePhase
05-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Are there plans to make any of the other albums in 8-bit chiptune form? I think Year Zero would work really well and maybe even The Downward Spiral. Would love to hear those in this style.
I'm probably doing Downward Spiral next, though I will be collaborating with some other chiptuners to produce a "rulebreaker chip" version of the Broken EP. No hate on YZ, though, I often listen to it on long trips.

Bit Down Make Love?
No, that's horrible. Don't use that one.
I liked your post just to scare you into thinking I was going to use it.

Get DOOM Make WOLF3D (with PC-speaker samples from DOS games)
Hahaha. Unfortunately, the track is already made (it's NES+Atari 2600)...but that gives me an idea...

What does everyone think of "Get Pong, Breakout"?

Oblong Cheese
05-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Sorry I am not nearly creative enough to think of tune titles, but my question is this: when and how can we get the Special Edition?

I bought the first release on CD. Won't mind buying it again to get these extra tracks.

InversePhase
05-19-2014, 01:13 AM
That's ok Cheesemaster, the three blanks have now been filled! Thanks to everyone that participated in the brainstorming...that was helpful!

I posted a Kickstarter update on that with a pic of my SE cases (so far): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inversephase/nine-inch-nintendos-8-bit-nails-something-like-tha/posts/848228

To answer your question / reiterate from my earlier post, the SE will not be sold physically, it was only available to kickstarter backers; it was the one thing I kept exclusive. That said, you'll still be able to get the entire thing (in MP3 or FLAC) via download, and it will still contain all of the artwork, a PDF booklet, etc. And I'm still considering releasing the SE tracks on their own on some other physical medium, but it really depends on licensing.

Speaking of, one story that has begun but not ended is the even weirder story of "how do I license Now I'm Nothing, Purest Feeling, and Maybe Just Once" since they have never been released by any official/commercial means...once I figure it out, I'll be sharing, but until then I'm in a "contact maze".

I'll try to keep everyone posted in this thread as I make progress.

Oblong Cheese
05-19-2014, 06:22 PM
To answer your question / reiterate from my earlier post, the SE will not be sold physically, it was only available to kickstarter backers; it was the one thing I kept exclusive. That said, you'll still be able to get the entire thing (in MP3 or FLAC) via download, and it will still contain all of the artwork, a PDF booklet, etc. And I'm still considering releasing the SE tracks on their own on some other physical medium, but it really depends on licensing.

Thank-you, this is all I needed to hear. :p

InversePhase
05-23-2014, 05:49 PM
rear stickers on their way to me, booklet complete and sent off to a printer, SHIT GETTING DONE

InversePhase
05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
If you already have P8M, you can preorder the Special Edition tracks now at bandcamp:
http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine-se-tracks

If you do NOT have P8M and want the SE, please follow me here:
ldr.fm/a/3BRu2 (http://ldr.fm/a/3BRu2)

If you want a physical copy, the only merch outlet I have is either direct (hit me at a show or something) or bandcamp.

iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Pandora to follow.

There will be a 20-page digital booklet featuring art from ETS'er katara with the Bandcamp, Loudr, and iTunes downloads.

howdidislipinto
05-24-2014, 02:50 PM
If you already have P8M, you can preorder the Special Edition tracks now at bandcamp:
http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine-se-tracks

Actually got the email from Bandcamp before I saw this here. Got all excited to hear the new songs, didn't realize you were making us wait a week. You tricky devil. Still, pre-ordering now, and very excited!

I missed it if it was explained, what's the new version of Something I Can Never Have? Just a different take?

InversePhase
05-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Actually got the email from Bandcamp before I saw this here. Got all excited to hear the new songs, didn't realize you were making us wait a week. You tricky devil. Still, pre-ordering now, and very excited!
Argh! Sorry about that. Wait, so do you already have the regular edition then? Because the "complete" version's first 10 tracks are the same as the regular edition, you didn't make any mistake by preordering the SE in that case.

I missed it if it was explained, what's the new version of Something I Can Never Have? Just a different take?
I'm not sure I've explained it. If you listen to Something You Didn't Ever Have (http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/track/something-you-didnt-ever-have), you'll notice there's not really any bass. It's a limitation of the sound chip I did it on. However, there's another sound chip that sounds similar to it that *does* have bass, and also its own set of limitations (for example, there's no separate channel for whitenoise). Anyway, to make a long story short, one of my backers requested that I port the code from the first chip to the second chip, and I'm a sucker for a challenge. It sounds mostly the same, but some people will undoubtedly prefer one over the other.

Oblong Cheese
05-26-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure I've explained it. If you listen to Something You Didn't Ever Have (http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/track/something-you-didnt-ever-have), you'll notice there's not really any bass. It's a limitation of the sound chip I did it on. However, there's another sound chip that sounds similar to it that *does* have bass, and also its own set of limitations (for example, there's no separate channel for whitenoise). Anyway, to make a long story short, one of my backers requested that I port the code from the first chip to the second chip, and I'm a sucker for a challenge. It sounds mostly the same, but some people will undoubtedly prefer one over the other.

Thus the difference is made between yourself (a dedicated musician) and someone such as say... anyone who is in a Top40 countdown whose music, lyrics, dance routine, outfit and everything else was designed and created for them by someone else...

Thanks for your dedication!

InversePhase
05-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Thus the difference is made between yourself (a dedicated musician) and someone such as say... anyone who is in a Top40 countdown whose music, lyrics, dance routine, outfit and everything else was designed and created for them by someone else...

Thanks for your dedication!

Yes. The difference, in short, is that I am a huge nerd and cannot dance or sing.

That and I should probably get a stage getup and stop doing shows in onesies.

howdidislipinto
05-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Argh! Sorry about that. Wait, so do you already have the regular edition then? Because the "complete" version's first 10 tracks are the same as the regular edition, you didn't make any mistake by preordering the SE in that case.

No worries, I got the right one with just the new SE tracks. ...I think. ;)

Thanks for the explanation on SICNH! I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to Maybe Just Once.

wizfan
05-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Yay, one of my title suggestions made it to the album (with an extra T, to boot)!

InversePhase
05-26-2014, 12:28 PM
No worries, I got the right one with just the new SE tracks. ...I think. ;)Thanks for the explanation on SICNH! I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to Maybe Just Once.Hope I did it justice for you! Maybe Just Once is done on the POKEY, so it's Atari and sounds ever so slightly off. Still, I did some cool tricks in the track. =]

InversePhase
05-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Quick update: I've been asked to wait on one last thing until I hit the finalize button on Loudr but you can now listen to the SE on bandcamp, and kickstarter backers can redeem their downloads!

ManBurning
07-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Broken chiptune by WK9:

https://pokasaharecords.bandcamp.com/album/br0ken-exe

InversePhase
07-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Broken chiptune by WK9:

https://pokasaharecords.bandcamp.com/album/br0ken-exe

Welp, I guess I should stop working on broken.

Conan The Barbarian
07-16-2014, 01:46 PM
No, please keep going

zeegrizzle
07-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Broken! InversePhase! Broken! InversePhase!!!!!

InversePhase
08-26-2016, 12:10 AM
Hey, this is late, last minute, and it's 1am, but I am doing a shirt reprint of the Pretty Eight Machine shirts. I will not be printing on black (those were for the kickstarter only) but I will be printing on a brushed "dark heather" and a solid "charcoal" grey. They'll be $20 plus shipping and I am basically ready to send off the order. If you're serious about a shirt, please PM or email me immediately with your size, which "color" you prefer, and we'll make payment arrangements or something. I just need to know the details to order a shirt specifically for you, if you get one.

Here are the samples (please forgive the shitty JPEG artifacts, I am embedding this from the facebook post):

https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14095845_10154494086752360_6530231936939320239_n.j pg?oh=42351944874be02d0f753a14c04e03a7&oe=585A96D8

nowimnothing
08-30-2016, 08:08 PM
Are you still working on Broken or Downward Spiral InversePhase?

InversePhase
08-31-2016, 01:53 AM
TDS yes, Broken no. Unless TR himself asks me to do it, someone's already done it, and my original plan to do it didn't really pan out the way I had hoped. Most that had feedback on P8M said they wanted to see TDS or Fragile so those are the albums I'm focusing on. It's going, just... slow going.

For what it's worth, one of the holdups is that I'm building a hardware chiptune synthesizer from scratch, which I will then probably be (re)programming the album to replay on, and that is a bit of my holdup. That and commission work, which I'm thinking about cutting off after I complete my current responsibilities, but I need to figure out how to stay alive.

If you want to check out the synth: https://www.patreon.com/posts/5542262

Leviathant
02-02-2021, 09:31 AM
Coming soon on vinyl:
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0023415966_31.png

Preordering is open here (https://inversephase.bandcamp.com/campaign/pretty-eight-machine-se)

botley
02-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Smashed that button so hard I broke it.

otnavuskire
02-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Important to note that it's not technically pre-ordering at this stage. If it doesn't hit the goal, it doesn't get made. Luckily it looks like that won't be an issue since it's nearly halfway there in just a couple of hours.

allegate
02-02-2021, 10:08 AM
not available on the bandcamp app so I had to go to the website. thanks for the heads-up!

ekrekel
02-02-2021, 10:30 AM
In for sure! FWIW I like the zoomed in artwork shown above vs the full chip alternative shown on the campaign page.

InversePhase
02-02-2021, 10:34 AM
In for sure! FWIW I like the zoomed in artwork shown above vs the full chip alternative shown on the campaign page.

What about something in-between, where the entirety of the chip fills to the edges of the cover? Feedback is appreciated!

Tom
02-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Personally I like the full view of the chip - it nicely echoes the way the PHM LP presented the full image that was only partially presented on the CD:

https://nincatalog.com/media/item_images/16-01.jpg

https://nincatalog.com/media/item_images/77-05.jpg

Shadaloo
02-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Fuckin' yoink!

I like the zoomed in view. On both the CD and LP it's still not entirely clear what you're looking at, you still get that sensation of seeing only part of a full picture.

ekrekel
02-02-2021, 11:45 AM
What about something in-between, where the entirety of the chip fills to the edges of the cover? Feedback is appreciated!

Both images below to help with the discussion. Perhaps what throws me off about the full chip view is I felt the original covers are a cropped and more cropped version of a larger artwork, a glimpse inside the machine (Edit: Shadaloo beat me to it). The parallel between the chip pins and the original gear teeth gets lost a little the farther out you zoom. Looking at it again, the original vinyl and the zoomed in image both have 8-9 of them perhaps why that caught my eye first.

Like you suggested, I'm curious what something in between looks like. Perhaps something that begins and ends at the molded circles on the top of the chip.

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0023415966_26.jpg https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0022856705_26.jpg

otnavuskire
02-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Of the two options I prefer the zoomed view, but I'd be curious to see the in between that's been suggested.

InversePhase
02-02-2021, 01:04 PM
So I hacked together a REALLY rough draft of the in-between.

I would probably nuke the dark grey almost black border on the LP btw, but we're doin it live

https://i.imgur.com/64x9YDw.jpg

nmitchell86
02-03-2021, 07:11 AM
93% Funded... Let go!!!! https://inversephase.bandcamp.com/campaign/pretty-eight-machine-se Spred the word! This is already on r/nin and the fb collecting group. My ball park math is like about 15ish or so more orders.

InversePhase
02-03-2021, 10:18 AM
93% Funded... Let go!!!! https://inversephase.bandcamp.com/campaign/pretty-eight-machine-se Spred the word! This is already on r/nin and the fb collecting group. My ball park math is like about 15ish or so more orders.

Thanks for your support! The campaign doesn't end for 30 days, so even if I hit my money goal today, I'd really like to try and reach far and wide to see if we could get a number approaching 500 — also, I'd like to order some extras to sell to record stores, for example — so I want to aim high.

Last but not least, I don't want to be toooo pessimistic about this, but this will literally be the only chance to get Pretty Eight Machine on vinyl. A lot of people who regularly ask me to print vinyl are confirmed pledges on the campaign, so I don't intend to do a reprint unless there is VERY significant demand. And if the campaign didn't succeed, I would wash my hands and call it a day, because there just isn't enough demand. Either way, I don't think I'll be doing it again, so if you want one, PLEASE get on it now.

ekrekel
02-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your support! The campaign doesn't end for 30 days, so even if I hit my money goal today, I'd really like to try and reach far and wide to see if we could get a number approaching 500 — also, I'd like to order some extras to sell to record stores, for example — so I want to aim high.

Last but not least, I don't want to be toooo pessimistic about this, but this will literally be the only chance to get Pretty Eight Machine on vinyl. A lot of people who regularly ask me to print vinyl are confirmed pledges on the campaign, so I don't intend to do a reprint unless there is VERY significant demand. And if the campaign didn't succeed, I would wash my hands and call it a day, because there just isn't enough demand. Either way, I don't think I'll be doing it again, so if you want one, PLEASE get on it now.

Put up a post or story on your IG and we can propagate it there. Lots of non-NIN vinyl folks out there may be interested in this just bc it's cool. Might want to update your story link to go direct to this project for the time being.

InversePhase
02-03-2021, 05:22 PM
I'm a little overwhelmed right now so I have been re-sharing/shouting out those who have shouted out their support and adding thank you text on IG. I don't see the ability to add a story link in IG when I create a story. Was this recently added?

nmitchell86
02-03-2021, 05:41 PM

I already pledged an order and spread the word amongst my friends. I'd like to see it hit the goal early but of course you should keep it open for as long as possible. I've never hit you up about it before, but now that it's real I'm going to do what I can to help the campaign.

Edit: I just checked and the support is 109%!!!! Fuck yeah!

InversePhase
02-03-2021, 06:27 PM
I already pledged an order and spread the word amongst my friends. I'd like to see it hit the goal early but of course you should keep it open for as long as possible. I've never hit you up about it before, but now that it's real I'm going to do what I can to help the campaign.

Edit: I just checked and the support is 109%!!!! Fuck yeah!

Yeah. The campaign duration is 30 days. It can't be ended early; this gives people enough time to get their chance and jump on it. I also can't make it longer, though, so I am encouraging everyone who could possibly want one to get one. Now that it succeeded, my goal is to blow the support number out of the water. Let's get it to at least 200% I can get twice the vinyl out into the world, impress bandcamp, and get some extra records to sell to shops.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

allegate
02-03-2021, 06:45 PM
So, if I want a 2nd one I need a 2nd Bandcamp account? I'm not seeing a 2x button.

InversePhase
02-04-2021, 09:25 AM
So, if I want a 2nd one I need a 2nd Bandcamp account? I'm not seeing a 2x button.

Hey, so there are a few options for this. In no particular order:

1. You can do a second bandcamp account, yeah. I'm not entirely clear on their reasons, but if I had to guess, I think a pledger on bandcamp might've ordered too many records once upon a time, and then maybe cancelled their pledge or something, even though they were the ones that pushed the campaign past the tipping point. If that person was also the person running the campaign, that could cause some issues. I think limiting quantity or requiring billing in advance for quantities above 2 might be a good solution, but I'm not bandcamp, so I'll let them hammer it out.

2. You can pledge double, and send me an email from the bandcamp contact form with your name, address, etc. I will have a few extras when this is over, and if I know you wanted one and pledged enough, I can account for it when I order a few more at the end of the campaign.

3. Building on #2, whatever extras I have after the campaign ends and I've sent out any 2x orders will probably go up on bandcamp as merch. So you can just buy a second one then.

Sorry it's so convoluted; they're still trying to work out stuff like this, and I'm giving them feedback as I go (with people wanting to order 2 vinyl near the top of my problem list), hopefully we can help improve the system for future pressings.

ekrekel
02-04-2021, 10:13 AM
I'm a little overwhelmed right now so I have been re-sharing/shouting out those who have shouted out their support and adding thank you text on IG. I don't see the ability to add a story link in IG when I create a story. Was this recently added?

On your account home Edit profile --> Website (you have inversephase.com listed there now). I suggest making a regular post with the images and comment about the project "Check out the bandcamp link in my bio to listen to hear a sample or join the order" we can share that post on our stories for visibility to other folks.

eversonpoe
02-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Yeah. The campaign duration is 30 days. It can't be ended early; this gives people enough time to get their chance and jump on it. I also can't make it longer, though, so I am encouraging everyone who could possibly want one to get one. Now that it succeeded, my goal is to blow the support number out of the water. Let's get it to at least 200% I can get twice the vinyl out into the world, impress bandcamp, and get some extra records to sell to shops.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

tomorrow is bandcamp day and you might get a jump in support because of it! definitely use social media to your advantage on that!

NIN64
02-05-2021, 10:46 PM
Bought today. Thanks InversePhase!

InversePhase
02-07-2021, 12:37 PM
On your account home Edit profile --> Website (you have inversephase.com listed there now). I suggest making a regular post with the images and comment about the project "Check out the bandcamp link in my bio to listen to hear a sample or join the order" we can share that post on our stories for visibility to other folks.

OH. I thought you meant there was a way to create a story that would link to the campaign, and people could tap it inside the story, and.....my brain just went too far I think. Ok. I changed my website in my bio.

InversePhase
02-07-2021, 02:07 PM
I've gotten more feedback about the cover on social media. Here's one that's halfway between the "chip fits the cover" and the "fully zoomed in", but I've cropped it like the vinyl cover. Again super rough draft, just seeing if people like thishttps://i.imgur.com/QP6LJ39.jpg

botley
02-07-2021, 02:31 PM
That one looks dope!

InversePhase
02-07-2021, 03:56 PM
That one looks dope!

thanks for the feedback! I'd really like to hear back from people about this since there seem to be a lot of opinions on what the cover should look like (glad they're not complaining about the audio! :rolleyes:)

TheBang
02-07-2021, 04:20 PM
I mocked this up really quickly. I took the remastered artwork (https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Pretty-Hate-Machine/release/2580092) as the template, and did a simple rotation on the MOS chip to give it more severe incline to match the angle on the original artwork, and enlarged it a little bit. For the 2nd mock-up, I moved the title to the same upper-position as the original artwork.

https://i.imgur.com/PSDBzOR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zSxVGRy.jpg

InversePhase
02-07-2021, 06:30 PM
thanks for the extra mockup - the struggle I face with rotating the chip is that the interlace effect is not straight across like scanlines on a CRT, which is the intended effect. I might be able to load up the original artwork and back out the interlacing to reapply it after rotation, but I'm not sure ....

Tom
02-07-2021, 07:49 PM
I'm no designer, but the one I like best is still the more zoomed out one of the full chip.

caca
02-07-2021, 09:52 PM
I dig either the most zoomed in version, or the version that most resembles the original artwork.

Also, I just pledged.

nmitchell86
02-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Just my 2cents... I like the interlacing effect not being straight across. It's more in line with the qualities of the TV's I got to watch as a kid...

thanks for the extra mockup - the struggle I face with rotating the chip is that the interlace effect is not straight across like scanlines on a CRT, which is the intended effect. I might be able to load up the original artwork and back out the interlacing to reapply it after rotation, but I'm not sure ....

Substance242
02-08-2021, 07:21 AM
...featured on synthtopia, good job. :-)
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021/02/07/chiptune-nin-album-pretty-eight-machine-coming-on-vinyl/

cdm
02-08-2021, 08:33 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zSxVGRy.jpg
InversePhase ^^ That's the one. Looking forward to this.

Fadeout54321
02-18-2021, 09:59 AM
I just went to see where you were at and it's 211% funded!! This is awesome, congratulations!! Looking forward to this arriving in my mailbox.

InversePhase
02-20-2021, 11:37 AM
I just went to see where you were at and it's 211% funded!! This is awesome, congratulations!! Looking forward to this arriving in my mailbox.
Thanks very much! Keep in mind we don't even deliver audio to the presses until the campaign is over, so it's still gonna be a few months at least.

InversePhase
08-07-2021, 07:49 PM
Hey all, sorry for the bump but I just wanted to drop a note here because it seems relevant: There are vinyl delays everywhere and I'm keeping everyone updated on bandcamp. So if you're wondering where your record is or whatever please read everything on http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/community and follow/stay informed over there. Also I just hit this thread up for inspiration on some of the stuff I could last-minute include in the liner notes, but if anyone feels like they have burning, unanswered questions about P8M ask now and I'll include it (or at least answer here)

Tom
06-04-2022, 10:08 AM
My copy arrived this morning! Not had a chance to play it yet but it looks the business - great choice with the cover art.

otnavuskire
06-04-2022, 10:21 AM

InversePhase
06-05-2022, 09:49 AM
My copy arrived this morning! Not had a chance to play it yet but it looks the business - great choice with the cover art.

Thanks! I went for something completely different than the zoom on the original artwork, hoping people might appreciate something special for the vinyl.!

NIN64
06-05-2022, 02:16 PM
Got my shipping notification this afternoon. Can’t wait!! Thanks so much for this InversePhase much appreciated!!!!

otnavuskire
06-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Got my shipping notification this afternoon. Can’t wait!! Thanks so much for this @InversePhase (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1417) much appreciated!!!!

Same! Looking forward to giving this a spin finally.

InversePhase
06-05-2022, 02:33 PM
Please keep in mind this is for people who buy records directly from me at shows or help me get them into shops - if you preordered and there is a problem with your record just email bandcamp, tell them what happened, include photos of damage, etc. and they'll get you fixed up.

cdm
06-08-2022, 09:28 AM
YOOOOOOOOOO my Bampcamp copy shipped from GA!

ekrekel
06-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Got my copy yesterday, well done InversePhase thanks for the QA/QC!

gorast
06-08-2022, 04:31 PM
Kind of crazy to think that I put in my pre-order sixteen months ago and received the record today. Of course I know everything that went into that lead-time so it's not a complaint, just an observation. Thank you for going through the hassle of getting these made - I'm going to very much enjoy my copy.

allegate
06-08-2022, 05:42 PM
as I said on reddit: I'm going to have to explain to my wife that this is the longest covid delay yet because so many vinyls are showing up late.

if at all, now that I think about the last 7" I ordered...hmm.

otnavuskire
06-08-2022, 08:33 PM
CekO5nKFzN-

It has arrived! The audio quality is outstanding. I also created the entry for it on Discogs so those that catalog their collection like me can add it.

Damage
06-09-2022, 01:55 AM
Got my finally came in Vinyl today (Los Angeles, CA)!!! The Records look sexy as Fukkkkkkkk !!!! Great job!

xolotl
06-14-2022, 11:02 PM
Yeah, got mine a few days ago as well. I agree: it looks super great! Have not had a chance to give it a spin yet, but it's great to have it in hand. Congrats!