PDA

View Full Version : AMC's The Killing

NIN64
03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I had heard good things about this show, but I never had a chance to watch the first season last year. When my wife and I realized that season 2 starts next week we decided to power through the first season. About half way through, and we are impressed. Anyone else watching?

october_midnight
03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah my fiancee and I watched the first season. They film parts of it here actually, so like Fringe, it's always cool to see places you've been countless times on tv lol. Dug the first season a lot and can't wait for April 1st for this and Game of Thrones to start back up. Gonna be a good night! Personally, I have no idea how they can continue this story for much longer after what happened in the finale (which I obv. won't ruin) but I have high hopes.

richardp
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Im really excited for Season 2. I felt like I was one of the only people that consistently interested in the show throughout the entire first season. I heard so many people say that they lost interest after a few episodes and I don't get it. The show was devastating. Terrifically acted, well paced, etc. I love it.

Also, I'd like to point out that I've never seen a show that had me so invested in it within the pilot alone. I was crying buckets during it. Good lord it was sad.

Sebek
04-05-2012, 01:39 AM
So what'd you guys think of the season 2 premiere? I'm a little confused about the situtation Holden's gotten himself wrapped up in, exactly what his angle is.

october_midnight
07-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Canceled. (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/27/killing-canceled/)

Fuckssakes.

miss k bee
07-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Fuckssakes.

Crap!, Have to watch the Danish one

onthewall2983
07-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I was psyched for the show, all the advertising snared me in. And I was in solid for the first three episodes. But soon after that the house of cards came tumbling down quite rapidly for me. Besides everything else that'd been analyzed about why it went wrong, I was also watching the 2nd season of Treme which I was rather swept up in. It was so meticulous and engaging about showing you the lives of these people living through the aftermath of such a devastating event, that watching a fictional show about a major metropolitan city wrapped up in the case of one dead girl felt underwhelming in comparision.

Frozen Beach
07-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Fuckssakes.
Jeez, they really are trying to make this show the new Twin Peaks, aren't they?

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
This show wishes it could be Twin Peaks.

neorev
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
i found this show painful to watch after a while. what killed it was stretching it out to two seasons when the original show was wrapped up in one. when the big reveal happened, it just didn't have the impact it should have. this is nowhere near the likes of Twin Peaks. the only show that came close to that was Carnivale. another great show that got cut short with only 2 seasons. some people felt that show started out slow, but only in the first season, which was meant to introduce you all of the characters and set up the events that were going to happen. it really picked up in the second season and has one hell of a cockteasing ending. like Corvus said, this show wished it could be Twin Peaks.

october_midnight
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Now that AMC will (relatively) soon be losing some key shows, they're contemplating bringing The Killing back. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tv-column/post/amc-may-revive-the-killing-with-netflix/2012/11/08/b6857f6e-29fa-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_blog.html)

profane
01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
It's coming back! (http://tvline.com/2013/01/15/the-killing-renewed-season-3/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook)

onthewall2983
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Bring back Terriers God damn it.

october_midnight
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Well holy shit, it's official.

Shooting begins here in Vancouver on Feb. 25th for Season 3. (http://yvrshoots.com/2013/01/its-official-the-killings-back-for-a-third-season-starts-filming-feburary-25th.html)

Denim Chicken
07-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Anybody watching this season? I had sworn I would never watch it again after the complete bumblefuck the majority of seasons 1 and 2 were (I never even watched the season 2 finale but read how incredibly stupid it was) but sure enough I just made it through the first 6 episodes, and they've got me back. My favorite part is the look and tone which they have managed to keep. The story is decent enough and more importantly the secondary stories are more interesting to me than in the past. Although it does look like they are about to jump into a bunch of red herrings now, which I think killed the shows momentum before. I really enjoy what Saarsgard has been doing. Linden' s kid is gone which is awesome. And Holder is still one my favorite characters. Hopefully they can keep it up and come up with a satisfying conclusion.

Sebek
07-03-2013, 01:19 AM
I was just thinking the other day how this season of the Killing is much improved. I find the teenage homeless community to be more interesting than the politics angle from the past.

Emil Dorbell
07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Agree with both of you. Huge improvement. Hopefully they can keep it up through the season! And this show really needs to resolve their plots and start fresh each season.

Denim Chicken
08-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Spoilers from finale and rest of the season

well that sucked. Episodes 10 and 11 were fantastic and then they come back with another awful finale. What the hell was the motive? I was too angry to listen. And then they add a little se7en in there too. Ugh. Show is about the ride and not the destination I guess because they can not come up with a satisfying conclusion at all. Saarsgard was fantastic and Kinnaman is great. I'm sure ill be back for season 4.

Max Leo
08-06-2013, 05:45 AM
They adapted the danish show in the first 2 seasons and they have adapted a swedish novel this time without paying for the rights, they just changed a couple of things and ripped off some others from other sources:

SPOILERS:

This season was just "TGWTDT" in Seattle instead of Sweden (hence why no nazis): Bullet was Lisbeth, she even had a rape scene to make it more obvious, Holder/Linden played the role of Blomkvist and the killer was killing girls because he hated them (TGWTDT's original tittle in Sweden and many other countries is "Men Who Hate Women" because of the 2 killers, father and son).

They also ripped off the final scene from "Seven" a couple of times because just once was not enough, like when Linden tried to stop Holder before he opened the trunk where Bullet's body was hidden (she ran to stop him the same way Morgan Freeman ran to stop Pitt from hearing what Spacey/Doe said, the scene was almost the same) or in the last one of this season that I could see coming from a mile away, the same way I knew since episode one that the guy in death row would be killed before they found the real murderer and I knew the "cop boss" (don't remember the name) was the murderer since the first scene of this finale.

Great show with great acting, great photography, great direction and great production, but they could and should be more original. I there is another season, I hope they improve the writing by not being so "inspired" by other shows/movies/novels.

konstantin
08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
dunno, thought homeless youth in Seattle was pretty original and worked as a social commentary as well. some guy in power killing off easy prey is very much a trope for the genre, so i wouldn't say they ripped off TGWTDT. still, perhaps this show is just too bleak for the US audiences to get better ratings. hoping they'll get renewed.

and based on what i heard of the finale (haven't watched yet) it sounds like it was a shout out to both Forbrydelsen II and III.

konstantin
08-07-2013, 10:33 PM
watched the finale and it was definitely a clever ending. basically if this show gets renewed for a 4th season it'll pick up where the original series ended. a win-win.

october_midnight
09-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Cancelled. Again. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/10/the-killing-cancelled-amc-no-season-4_n_3903527.html?utm_hp_ref=tw)

october_midnight
08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Just finished binge watching Season 4 (only 6 episodes, but longer than normal ones) with the wife and wow, what a way to end it. Great acting all around, fitting end to the series.

Tums206_BFY
08-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Just finished binge watching Season 4 (only 6 episodes, but longer than normal ones) with the wife and wow, what a way to end it. Great acting all around, fitting end to the series.

Didn't know that came out yet. Watched the first season when it first came out but lost track of the show so I need to watch from Season 2 on.

october_midnight
08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Two was kinda meh....Season 3 was way better. Season 4 was remarkably good, and the last episode, especially the last 10 minutes, were exceptionally moving.

BrokenSpiral
08-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I really liked this show. It was well written and engaging each episode. Really well rounded. They stretched the original story out too long and I think that was its downfall initially. It shouldn't have gone two seasons. The third season was really good and I thought they'd keep the show going. The new season was just as good as previous entries. It was short, which sucked. Didn't care for the happily ever after love story ending. Kinda left field. or how neatly they wrapped up the skinner story line. All that build up for a sweep under the rug.

Ill miss the show. I liked the characters a lot too. Shame it didn't catch on.

and whoever said bring back Terriers, FUCK YEAH!

mfte
08-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Who is watching season 4?

I think it might be the best one so far. I guess that is because there are only 6 episodes so the story is very lean. Holder and Lyndon are also on the brink of a mental breakdown every episode because of what happened in the last season. It's gonna be sad to have to say goodbye to them soon.

decadent
08-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Most of us already said goodbye ;) It was a good season, very intense!

mfte
08-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Most of us already said goodbye ;) It was a good season, very intense!

Just finished this. Pretty solid season until the last episode. I feel that the last one suffered from the same ailment as True Detective. It feels like they tried to wrap it up too fast.

The whole explanation for the Stansbury murders was a little eye rolling...
The resolution to the Skinner plot was a little to Deus Ex Machine.... BUT nice to see the Rocketeer again I suppose.

The sudden jump into the future was a little weak...

BUT overall the things leading up to the last episode were dark and intense which I really enjoy.

I am going to miss these two a lot.