PDA

View Full Version : Beyond The Black Rainbow

mfte
02-17-2012, 08:18 AM
This looks pretty intense... whatever it is.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/beyondtheblackrainbow/

theruiner
02-17-2012, 08:21 AM
This is definitely on my list of anticipated films for 2012.

GibbonBlack
02-17-2012, 08:21 AM
I saw the trailer the other day. It looks great but I worry that the style will outweigh the substance

Lutz
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks like the same kind of concept as AMER (which is a fantastic film).

butters
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Music (at least in the trailer) by a dude named Jeremy Schmidt. It's a side project of his called Sinoia Caves (pretty interesting,) usually in a band called Black Mountain (meh.)

The Evil Ball: youtube.com/watch?v=QS-Ap2v8n_s
Through the Valley: youtube.com/watch?v=OKx9hfvBMDg

...sorry for the non-clickable vids, all that embedding shit annoys me....

onthewall2983
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
The reviews on IMDB didn't get me too excited. A few good ones, but the ones that stuck out said it was highly derivative and pretentious.

butters
02-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I picked that up too. I'm still interested out of sheer curiosity. I'm getting a Soylent Green/THX/1984 vibe from it which intrigues me. Someone in another thread said Zardoz... now THAT'S a fucking impressive reference!! Nicely done. :D

Lutz
02-17-2012, 09:56 PM
The reviews on IMDB didn't get me too excited. A few good ones, but the ones that stuck out said it was highly derivative and pretentious.That's because people on IMDb don't actually like cinema.

Findus
02-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Trent should sample the sound of that dude's pen hitting his clipboard. That would be a great song intro.

Lutz
04-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I just submitted my IMDb review;

Beyond the Black Rainbow is beyond awful. The extremely dull first half of the movie is only tempered by the extremely stupid second half.

Particularly entertaining is the scientist suddenly becoming a leather queen - complete with an awkward coming out scene to his wife and then a repressed-homosexual killing. His killing of Jack Black as he sublimates his homoerotic urges by spouting words devoted to his asexual object of projection (the original object of homosexual attraction being the girls father who is dying of AIDS) is then quickly upped by his hilariously limp wristed DEATH BY FALLING OVER. Also in the later part of the movie we run into the scientists bondage zombie pal wrapped up in a sleepsack which made me kind of regret that they didn't make this movie an all out gay parade. Imagine the level of greatness this movie could have achieved if they made it a psychosexual thriller like In A Glass Cage with some hot boy in the flower of his youth as the prisoner and Marisa Paredes as the lab assistant. Amazing.

They should have taken all the allegory out of "Beyond The Black Rainbow" and just made it out and out gay.