PDA

View Full Version : Pelican

Wretchedest
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Big fan of Pelican. Really rad post metal nonsense. Their sound is always changing while remaining spmewhat true to their original style. So while my favorite will probably always be their debut LP Australasia, i enjoy their other works as well. Ive also seen them live countless times.

They recentyl announced their new ep Ataraxia/Taraxis, and todays they released a track from it. Not a terribly huge fan of that one vut theres been another new one floating around youtube in the form of a live bootleg that is pretty good... any other fans?

Beta
01-26-2012, 05:54 PM
new track from the above-mentioned EP: http://www.spin.com/articles/first-spin-get-post-metal-giants-pelicans-lathe-biosas

PQHooligan
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I know they're mostly instrumental, but it was cool to hear their My Bloody Valentine-esque track Final Breath:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KbTisa4qB4

Wretchedest
01-26-2012, 07:59 PM
^ one of the best Pelican songs is a cover of a these arms are snakes song. The singer from the original does vocals on it. Its called gold diggers. Check it out!

Wretchedest
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
There's a leak floating around. It's killer stuff! Dramatically new direction on the opening and closing tracks.

Deadpool
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear it! I'm really excited for the EP - I actually just watched my "What We All Come To Need" DVD by chance last night. I wonder what the division of songwriting was for this new one... I thought Bryan wrote some great stuff on the last album.

blackholesun
03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I like the new E.P. The acoustic parts caught me by surprise. Definitely excited to see where they go on their next full length.

blackholesun
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
New album, new song. This song is easily my favorite thing they've done in so long.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15718-immutable-dusk/

fortheloveofgod
07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Looking forward to this. Haven't been following them as of recent and was a good surprise today.

eversonpoe
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
posted this a while ago in the vinyl collectors thread:

i pre-ordered one of only 50 copies of the pelican 7" box set (http://www.mylenesheath.com/products/deny-the-absolute-b-slash-w-the-truce-collector-set) the day it went up for pre-order. glad i did. i'm super excited for it.

Wretchedest
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Sounds.... very much like Pelican. Been excited to hear this one for a while. There should be some new tracks on that 7 inch as well, right? Cant wait to hear more new material.

blackholesun
09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
New album leaked. It's pretty good.

Wretchedest
09-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Im at work.... A leak waiting at home is something to look forward too. How does it compare stylistically to their previous work?

blackholesun
09-14-2013, 03:52 AM
You might have listened to it by now...

A little looser (in a good way) than What We All Come To Need. And heavier. I don't think it really sounds too much like their older stuff before that, but I like the album. Hopefully they tour the west coast again soon.

Wretchedest
09-14-2013, 04:01 AM
I do like it's that it's heavier. It's a step away from the future possibility of just becoming bland instrumental rock. I really like "the Terminal" and it kind of teased me into thinking that they had returned to a more abstract and spacious approach. I miss those days, but this is alright. I'm sure the material will work great live which is really what they're aiming for.

I was rubbed a little wrong by how close Vestiges sounded to that one tool song. Way too close.

buckaroo
11-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Now that I have really had the time to listen to this and digest it I have to say that I really like it. I like it much more than I thought I would. So much better than what they have released since city of echoes. I have actually been enjoying this more than the new Russian Circles, which is crazy since I was expecting to be blown away by that. I had sort of lost hope of them releasing another heavy done type record. This isn't that, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

eversonpoe
11-11-2013, 12:23 PM
i love both the new pelican & russian circles (i think it's the best thing russian circles have ever done). what makes you like the new pelican more?

buckaroo
11-11-2013, 03:13 PM
i love both the new pelican & russian circles (i think it's the best thing russian circles have ever done). what makes you like the new pelican more?

i love both albums as well. i just feel that the new pelican is a return to form for them after a few lack luster releases. russian circles have always outdone their previous release in my opinion. in this case i sort of feel like memorial and empros seem pretty similar. i think i like empros a little more. it is probably a case of expectations more than the actual albums. i had low expectations for pelican it they really outdid themselves. on the other hand, i had very high expectations for russion circles and feel like they didn't really evolve at all with this one. i may also just be in the mood for something a little more straight forward too. however, either way both albums will be up there on my best of 2013 list.

on a side note, if you like these bands i would recommend listening to caspian as well.

eversonpoe
11-14-2013, 12:26 AM
on a side note, if you like these bands i would recommend listening to caspian as well.

yeah, i dig a lot of the stuff on The Mylene Sheath, especially Junius, and i love the way they run their label. been meaning to check out Caspian.

side note:

tonight at the pelican show, a girl threw her beer at me after i politely asked her to be quiet, because she had been talking during the entirety of their set.

i’ve liked pelican for 10 years, and i had only seen them two nights in a row back in 2007.

since i got home, i have been trying so hard not to cry because that girl and her friend completely tainted this experience for me. i don’t understand why people are so horrible.

Deadpool
11-14-2013, 12:33 AM
tonight at the pelican show, a girl threw her beer at me after i politely asked her to be quiet, because she had been talking during the entirety of their set.

i’ve liked pelican for 10 years, and i had only seen them two nights in a row back in 2007.

since i got home, i have been trying so hard not to cry because that girl and her friend completely tainted this experience for me. i don’t understand why people are so horrible.

Fuck, man. I'm really sorry to hear that. I've encountered a few annoying concert-goers in my day, but never anything that bad. I only saw Pelican once, but it was when they opened for Isis at Irving Plaza in NYC a few years ago. Great concert - the thing that struck me about Pelican's live show was how they balanced this incredible heaviness with uplift. I only gave their new album a once-through, but I actually really liked "What We All Come To Need."

Here's hoping you're able to redeem your concert experience soon!

buckaroo
05-30-2019, 10:28 PM
Just finished listening to the new album. Really great after a first listen. The singles they released were probably some of the weaker tracks in my opinion. Some moments that really felt along the lines of the ST ep and Australasia on this one (riffs not songs). I would say it definitely struck me immediately unlike Forever Becoming, which took a little while to sink in. I think the second half of the album is a little stronger which always helps. Highlight for me is Full Moon, Black Water... amazing track!

NPR s streaming it a week early:
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/727496867/first-listen-pelican-nighttime-stories

Wretchedest
05-31-2019, 01:55 AM
Yeah I'm digging a rawer vibe... And you're right: the singles they released were worryingly bland, Pelican at their worst can be very commercial, but coming from some apparently unused Tusk material I had hopes that some of this would be brutal, and some of it is. I like the title track the best