PDA

View Full Version : Lana Del Rey

konstantin
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
so she's been labeled over and over again as divisive (and "gangsta Sinatra"). i personally ignored her for a while and whenever i gave her music a try it just felt kind of meh. until a few day ago when i caught myself singing her Born to Die song in my head. so i listened to the few songs that are out there and the tons of remixes that keep coming out, and at this point i find LDR's music irresistibly catchy. full length coming out Jan 31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-I-Lqy06g

dzaver
01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
i love her :) and i like the hype around it. its kind of funny that people are not accepting her because she might have fake lips. who the fuck cares? really. derivative? yes. nothing really new? yes. but most of pop music today is really garbage. she is doing her best in the sphere of pop music.

i don't know why everybody like and adore lady gaga - musically she is a total duplicate of maddona and her music, despite her talent, sux. she could be doing something really special, but the sold her soul. but thats another story.

lana del rey is kind of cheesy wicked-gamesque pop singer with a really good voice.

but... you hate it or you love it.

konstantin
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
i hear you. what's supposed to be catchy pop music like Gaga, Rihanna and Britney for some reason just doesn't work for me. LDR's cheesy but sultry pop somehow clicked.

richardp
01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't like her simply because I think her music is overly boring and I don't think she earned or worked for her career at all. She pretty much just made one song, and then hired a good manager, because she's seemingly already loaded with cash, and created a TON of self hype. Next thing you know she's on SNL, and doesn't even have an album out. There are far more deserving bands who've been hard at work for years that deserve the level of exposure that SNL gives.

It's just my opinion though, but there is absolutely nothing special about her, and she's just an undeserving flavor of the week.

Kid Charlemagne
01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't like her simply because I think her music is overly boring and I don't think she earned or worked for her career at all. She pretty much just made one song, and then hired a good manager, because she's seemingly already loaded with cash, and created a TON of self hype. Next thing you know she's on SNL, and doesn't even have an album out. There are far more deserving bands who've been hard at work for years that deserve the level of exposure that SNL gives.

It's just my opinion though, but there is absolutely nothing special about her, and she's just an undeserving flavor of the week.I pretty much agree with all of this. I don't see too much special or distinctive about her voice and I thought "Video Games" was just a boring song. She has money at her disposal and is lucky enough to have hired some good people around her but that's about the extent of it. As for SNL, they had Jessie J on last year and that didn't really help her, her album ended up tanking stateside.

konstantin
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
i don't want to defend her in any way because like i said i didn't care about her until this week and it's likely i won't care about her next week. right now i'm just enjoying her music as objectively as possible. she's nowhere near a larger than life type pop star and obviously it takes a lot more than hiring a manager and blowing lots of money.

also i can see how many find her music boring, but i've been into smokey cinematic trip hop ever since Portishead entered the music scene back in the early 90's.

there's also the Off to the Races song, which instantly reminded me of Smoke City's Underwater Love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUz3fLncTTs

carpenoctem
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I like that Video Games song. It's very simple but pretty and memorable. I am aware that there is some controversy with her lips, but it sounds ridiculous so I don't care.

DVYDRNS
01-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm looking forward to this hipster darling album.

Space Suicide
01-14-2012, 11:17 PM
My girlfriend likes her a lot. I don't care much for her to be honest. Whatever.

richardp
01-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I feel kind of lucky. My girlfriend also thinks she's super boring, and she usually likes stuff like that.

Kid Charlemagne
01-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'd bang Lana Del Ray, but that SNL performance was one of the worst I've seen, and this is the same show that has had Kelly Clarkson (I'd bang her too, even though she has a gut), Marron 5, Foster the People and Lady Antebellum (would bang that chick in the band too). Though Foster the People were probably worse, their popularity has puzzled me as much as Lana.

october_midnight
01-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Sitting here working, changed the channel and passed upon SNL while she was singing. Holyyyyyy shit was that terrible. She deserves the straight PASTING she's taking on Twitter. JUST like richardp said, there are a pantload of artists who deserve it way more than her. My opinion of course, but god damn.

Jinsai
01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
so nobody's mentioned how she was outed for being a manufactured push from a major label to sell a faux indie aesthetic? I thought that was at least interesting.

richardp
01-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Her performance really was fucking awful. Half the time, it sounded like she was singing out of key and couldn't make up her mind about how she wanted her voice to sound.

Kid Charlemagne
01-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Sitting here working, changed the channel and passed upon SNL while she was singing. Holyyyyyy shit was that terrible. She deserves the straight PASTING she's taking on Twitter. JUST like richardp said, there are a pantload of artists who deserve it way more than her. My opinion of course, but god damn.

You used the terms "pasting" and "pantload", I've never told you this personally, but you just might be my favorite poster.

so nobody's mentioned how she was outed for being a manufactured push from a major label to sell a faux indie aesthetic? I thought that was at least interesting.That's Jimmy Iovine for you! He's going to milk this indie darling until she starts getting lukewarm reviews from Pitchfork, Brooklyn Vegan, Sterogum, etc., kind of like how we were made to hink Mumford and Sons were the next best thing to Fleet Foxes.

thevoid99
01-15-2012, 12:48 AM
I tried to watch it. I was like, "is this the girl everyone is talking about?" I found it to be boring.

richardp
01-15-2012, 01:26 AM
He's going to milk this indie darling until she starts getting lukewarm reviews from Pitchfork

I was just thinking that earlier while watching SNL. Pitchfork has consistently been hyping her up so much the past few months, but I bet when they review her actual album it's going to get like a 6.2 or something. Which will kind of prove how much her publicity team is paying all these websites to hype her boring ass jams.

Iran_Ed
01-15-2012, 02:16 AM
I heard "Video Games" on the radio about a month ago, it reminded me why I don't listen to the radio. To be honest, she sounds like a robotic Stevie Nicks to me.

bobbie solo
01-15-2012, 03:58 AM
i'd put it in her butt, but that's where this ENDS.

dlb
01-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I actually do enjoy what is being played on the radio from time to time and I want to give her record a chance, but hearing this live? Sweet Jesus, what a stinking pile of crap and she's hard to look at, too.

Anyone gave her pre-lipjob stuff a listen?

littlemonkey613
01-16-2012, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90Rgppgayw

AHAHAHA

richardp
01-16-2012, 12:19 AM
God, I can almost picture everyone in the crowd and all the SNL cast members just standing off camera massivly cringing.

Deadpool
01-16-2012, 12:33 AM
so nobody's mentioned how she was outed for being a manufactured push from a major label to sell a faux indie aesthetic? I thought that was at least interesting.

Ooh, I'd really like to read more about this! If you have any good articles, please share.

I think my first exposure to this girl was her performance on Later with Jools Holland, which I didn't find good or bad, but completely forgettable. I listened to a remix I liked, then heard "Born to Die" which I thought was enjoyable. The SNL performances are pretty eh to pretty bad. Like you guys have mentioned, it's a little sickening that she's already made it to that level of exposure - reminds me of Ashlee Simpson, which is a very bad thing. Yes to the banging, though.

dzaver
01-16-2012, 02:47 AM
for me all of the performances on SNL sucked big time. I was most disappointed with Radioheads - everyone said it was great, it was not. thom didn't sing really well and was off tune... I'm a big fan of theirs, but the SNL performance was horrible. but I'm not saying that her's rocked. it sucked.

I still don't get it why people dislike her. What did Lady Gaga was brilliant? she sucked big time and everyone was so into her. even on echoing the sound... the last album sucked. the production was horrible. so where's the catch? i don't see it. at least Lana can only stand and sing and does more than Lady Gaga with all the funny-weird-lookings outfits that went to ridiculous extent. what about Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and all the girls of the popular culture. Lana is not alternative. she is a production of our culture and a counter-invention to what Lady Gaga was.

of course there are greater bands that needs to be exposed etc. but do you really want to expose something like o f f love or the caretaker to the major public? some music is not meant for masses and some is. I'm not saying that Lana is oh so fucking great. Im just saying that if i look only the pop scene of last years she is finally something worth listening.

Kid Charlemagne
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I hate Lady Gaga as much as I do Lana Del Rey, do I get points? They both serve the same purpose within their respective communities. Gaga is marketed is a "different" pop star because she comes off as more eccentric, wears weird outfits, and takes every opportunity to tell us so. She's not different at all, her music is as bland and generic as a typical pop star, but a lot of people, including some on this board haven't seen through her smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Del Rey is being marketed almost the same exact way, sans the stupid outfits, to the indie community because she name dropped Kurt Cobain, and for some reason sites like Pitchfork, who are usually good at seeing past these types of artists, have decided to give her coverage based on God knows what. Based on anything that came out last year, she sucks, I'd rather take Beyonce over the two I've mentioned in this post. Lana and Gaga have done nothing to pop music based on their talents, people know Lady Gaga for her appearances as much as her shitty music, and for the time being Del Rey is known for her coverage in the scene rather than her music. Maybe in five years Del Rey will go into the bursted blog bubble along with Tapes N Tapes, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Hopefully in that time people will say "why the fuck did we like Lady Gaga? This is ridiculous!".

Sebek
01-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm someone who doesn't like standard pop-by-the-numbers divas, but I've really liked Del Rey so far. I don't care what her lips look like. I don't give a fuck what any reviews say, good or bad. And yeah, her SNL performance felt off and not that great. But I find her songs somewhat evocative and moving... looking forward to hearing a full album.

Kid Charlemagne
01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Brian Williams agrees with the haters:
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45122-echo-chamber-nbcs-brian-williams-disses-lana-del-rey-hard/

richardp
01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45122-echo-chamber-nbcs-brian-williams-disses-lana-del-rey-hard/

God, Brian Williams is so fucking awesome.

Dra508
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45122-echo-chamber-nbcs-brian-williams-disses-lana-del-rey-hard/Make sure you check out her set at SXSW.

Kid Charlemagne
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Make sure you check out her set at SXSW.

Fuck that! You know how I feel about SXSW! I'd go, but only if Lana invites me back to her hotel SCHWING!

Space Suicide
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
As previously stated, my girlfriend likes Del Rey and she even thought her performance on SNL was terrible.

JessicaSarahS
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
It was an embarrassing performance. I cringed throughout.

PQHooligan
01-17-2012, 02:59 AM
I'll take an instrumental of Blue Jeans, but otherwise I can't be bothered to listen to her further.

Henrie_Schnee
01-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Well, I'm surprised about all the hate for this newcomer - but then again, maybe that's a good sign, too.
I had never heard "Video Games" when someone send me a link to "Blue Jeans", a song that blew me away in an instant. I wasn't born with the usual receptors for pop music (in fact, the only other time I can recall when a pop song struck me that much was 7 or 8 years ago... Gwen Stefanis "What you waiting for"), but this song, combined with that video and this pretty face really hit me like a brick. I went to the store to get the single, thinking that she was some kind of obscure insider, and it wasn't until then that I realized that she was already on the second position in the german charts (which I don't follow).

So fast forward a couple of weeks, I'm biting my nails to wait for this record release. "Video Games" is nice, but "Blue Jeans" clearly became my song 2011. "Off to the Races" is a close second: It has the same classy kind of lyrics, but less depression. Granted, the "Born to Die"-Video WAS over-produced, compared to the D.I.Y.-aesthetics of its two predecessors, however it encapsules the inherent storylines of those tracks in a quirky way.

My gut feeling is that the collective hate-wave against Del Rey which we now witness is the result of a simple physical truth: Each action creates an equal re-action. The "viral" buzz and the success of "Video Games" catapulted an unknown internet-artist on the front pages of the world and launched a career... and now the same internet roots for her to fail.
Anyway, I guess my point is that there is no evil conspiracy behind the scenes, no planned marketing-hype or corruption... that her success so far has felt more genuine and less plastic then some other examples I could name. I believe in swarm behavior - and per my assessment, a big percentage of the global music journalism community simply has a huge, collective crush on/boner for her.

One last thing, though: Ridiculing a singer for a bad performance in a TALK SHOW is the cheapest possible shot you could ever take. It's like making fun of a retard. It's per definition no environment for live music, hence all the tape-playback, lip-syncing and over-dubbing. Go and check out some of her live recordings on YouTube from the shows she's played thus far. Compare them with SNL & then say me that you're not impressed.

Kid Charlemagne
01-22-2012, 10:17 AM
LEAVE LANA ALONE! YOU'RE LUCKY SHE PERFORMS FOR YOU BASTARDS!

She was on Jonathan Ross and still fucking sucked. Like her all you want, there's tons that do, but she's not a live performer at all. She looks lost on stage and can't figure out the correct pitch, honestly she looks scared on there. She's manufactured pop, and she's the worst kind of it, because she's trying to make you think she's different, and she isn't, she's just as clumsy and generic as your run of the mill top 40 artists.

Henrie_Schnee
01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
LEAVE LANA ALONE! YOU'RE LUCKY SHE PERFORMS FOR YOU BASTARDS!
Don't get me started! :-D

JessicaSarahS
01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
If an artist cannot perform live, then I can't listen to their albums. Simple.

konstantin
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
the album is pretty solid!

think i'd rather listen to music that i actually like, no matter how it ended up being what it is (producers, auto-tune, stolen ideas, whatever), than having some pop personality (authentic or non-authentic is irrelevant) with perfected silly dance routine tell me that their music (usually an afterthought) is the shit. but i admit that i've often struggled to be objective and have failed to judge the music for what it is.

JessicaSarahS
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
There is decent pop music out there that does not use backup dancers. And they use real instruments and they can perform live! Imagine that! :p

DF118
01-25-2012, 07:05 PM
It's a pity this girl blew up, her songs are actually decent but the backlash has been astronomical. I'm not sure I've seen this type of reaction before to a new singer. Her career will pick up if she learns how to sing live though- for the moment I'm putting her SNL stints down to performance anxiety.

I'm not sure that I buy into the criticism that she's too manufactured, isn't using her real name and the like. What artist isn't?

Jinsai
01-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure that I buy into the criticism that she's too manufactured, isn't using her real name and the like. What artist isn't?

It goes beyond that. She was originally trying to market herself as a bouncy pop star... then she disappears, comes back with fake lips and a restrained somber image accompanied by intentionally low-fi diy videos... then suddenly Interscope pretends they're interested... when in fact, the whole "indie" presentation was manufactured by Interscope to begin with. Then, suddenly, her third song/video drops the whole "indie diy" charade and suddenly it's a big budget affair with her sitting in a throne in a church with tame lions on either side... and somehow, this person who only has 3 songs to her name is the guest on Saturday Night Live? That goes beyond "unprecedented." Nothing even remotely like that has happened before. The fact that she bombed hard only makes sense.

DF118
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Well... okay. I'm willing to buy into that image though. Her songs are pretty good- even if the brand is disingenuous.

carpenoctem
01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
It's a pity this girl blew up, her songs are actually decent but the backlash has been astronomical. I'm not sure I've seen this type of reaction before to a new singer. Her career will pick up if she learns how to sing live though- for the moment I'm putting her SNL stints down to performance anxiety.

Of course she was anxious. She's talked about in interviews about being really introverted and how all this disproportionate attention is making her miserable. I would probably feel the same way if all of a sudden I was catapulted into the spotlight and had a bunch of people on the Internet who don't actually know anything about me spitting venom.

konstantin
01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
so i listened to her previous album, when she was Lizzy Grant. it doesn't sound all that different from what she's doing now, except that it's more showtuney and less cinematic. i personally dig the current trip hop twist, but she may also get trapped in that and her current image.

so i'm not sure i understand all the hate. i mean she tried for years the DIY pop star with no success. she tried! then she figured out what will make her successful (new lips, better writing, different image, etc.) and the internet is outraged!!! so how was she supposed to arrive where she is now and make everyone happy? where she is now seems like a pretty good place to be in, and based on the people getting involved with remixing her (i have yet to hear a Gaga or Adele 4x4 type remix), i'd say she is in THE right place.

also i've seen some pretty embarrassing performances from supposedly experienced Madonna (at awards ceremonies usually).

Kid Charlemagne
01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
If you're going to be in the spotlight, you have to prepare for people disliking you. Is she that dense where she thinks everyone will like her because she's trying to be different? There's nothing different from her past to now, she's still getting by on production work of other people because she has the financial backing. I'd have less of a problem with her if she just marketed herself as a normal pop star, but instead we're supposed to think of her as an alternative to what's out there? There's no excuse for being dissatisfied with what others think about you, you know why? Because if you're famous, there's always going to be people who don't like you. The fact that her music is bland and uninteresting just adds to how ridiculous she's being advertised. And because of how ridiculous it is, the hate is by all means warranted. I even listened to the leak of the album and couldn't get myself to even remotely enjoy it. In fact, I became so bored that after "Diet Mountain Dew" (unfortunately, that really is the name of a song), I couldn't even finish it. Gangsta Sinatra my ass.

GoodSoldier333
01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I really want that ass.

carpenoctem
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
There's no excuse for being dissatisfied with what others think about you, you know why? Because if you're famous, there's always going to be people who don't like you.

This is a ridiculous statement. Even if you're NOT famous, there will always be someone who doesn't like you. That doesn't mean you can't be dissatisfied with it. Probably the best course of action would just be to ignore it, but it's hard when this many people are getting so up in arms about virtually NOTHING. How does Lana inspire something as strong as hate? How can you even hate someone you don't know? Hate the image or the process, but I've seen some people post some really mean, nasty stuff targeting her personally and that's just so uncalled for.

I mean, I think Lady Gaga's derivative and boring, but I don't hang out in threads devoted to her passionately arguing that point, because I just don't care. I don't listen to the music and I see no reason to scream into the Internet about how justified I am in not listening to her music. I don't know. I know this is about music discussion but I just think it's silly, it's become so hateful, as people on the Internet so often do because they're cloaked in anonymity.

Kid Charlemagne
01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
You have to learn to accept it, and obviously she's shown she's not ready for big time if she's bitching and complaining about what some mean people on a message board are saying about her. In fact, I'm probably the least of her problems. I'm not saying I hate her and I wish her death or something horrible, but as far as her career goes, I, and many others here, feel that this is all fucking ridiculous when there's other people out there working to the bone and haven't received the exposure she has. It would be one thing if her music was good or remotely entertaining, but it's not.

I dislike everything about Lady Gaga's music and her image, but I've yet to hear her come out like Lana and talk about how she's so bummed that people don't like her. Both are polarizing, but at least Gaga has her big girl shoes on and knows what to expect. Lana isn't used to the fame yet and her comments as well as her performances greatly show that.

But fuck it, maybe I'm wasting my time right? So I'll just leave everyone with this:
http://soundcloud.com/tedleo/ghost-gamers

Dra508
01-27-2012, 08:03 AM
It goes beyond that. She was originally trying to market herself as a bouncy pop star... then she disappears, comes back with fake lips and a restrained somber image accompanied by intentionally low-fi diy videos... then suddenly Interscope pretends they're interested... when in fact, the whole "indie" presentation was manufactured by Interscope to begin with. Then, suddenly, her third song/video drops the whole "indie diy" charade and suddenly it's a big budget affair with her sitting in a throne in a church with tame lions on either side... and somehow, this person who only has 3 songs to her name is the guest on Saturday Night Live? That goes beyond "unprecedented." Nothing even remotely like that has happened before. The fact that she bombed hard only makes sense.There are plenty of other women (and I'm sure men and whole bands) that have shape shifted. Ke$sha, Alana Morissette, Katy Perry (?). I don't know enough of Lana Del Ray's story, but if it's true that Interscope manufactured fake indie then they were learning how to continue to stay in business. A requirement of any company to evolve with the industry or go out of business. It's called jumping the second curve.

konstantin
01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
It would be one thing if her music was good or remotely entertaining, but it's not.

just out of curiosity, and i don't mean to directly compare the music by any means, but what did you think of The xx's album from a few years ago?

my new favorite songs from the album are Radio and Summertime Sadness. i'm surprised that hardly anything on this 61 min/15 tracks album sounds like filler. and i don't care if it requires a team of Interscope writers to be stuck in a writers room for a month to come up with this.

and the whole "equal opportunity for all artists" argument makes absolutely no sense to me.

richardp
01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
The xx album was also suuuuper boring. Except, unlike Lana Del Rey, they know how to perform live, and somehow managed to make the songs sound really interesting in a live setting.

That's a different story though.

konstantin
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
but see, this is the difference. i like the music of LDR (The xx too) and don't care about the rest. you don't care about the music and have some sort of negative emotional investment in the rest, and that's OK.

Kid Charlemagne
01-27-2012, 01:50 PM
When The xx bursted on the scene I thought they were good but kind of boring. I saw them live that year at Lollapalooza (slotted between a Grizzly Bear and Spoon sandwich) and they were better than I expected, so much to the point that at the end of the year "VCR" and "Crystalized" were two of my most played songs of that year and even last year.

I can't get into Lana and who knows, it may change in the future, but I find her rather dull, and this is coming from someone who listens and specializes in "boring" music. There's tons of musicians out there who on a personal level, I don't agree with on lifestyle choices, but I've never let that stand in the way of my love of their music. *cough cough* Colin Meloy and Patrick Stickles.

october_midnight
01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
"You can't expect too much from my show..." (http://eatthis.inmusic.ca/2012/01/lana-del-rey-says-shes-not-a-good-live-performer-and-thats-just-how-it-is-after-her-terrible-performance-on-saturday-night.html)

O THE LULZ.

demo
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
i like 3 of her songs. Don't care about the hype or any of the other tracks. Her lips could be glued on, I don't give a fuck.

whatever.

carpenoctem
01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I can't get into Lana and who knows, it may change in the future, but I find her rather dull, and this is coming from someone who listens and specializes in "boring" music. There's tons of musicians out there who on a personal level, I don't agree with on lifestyle choices, but I've never let that stand in the way of my love of their music. *cough cough* Colin Meloy and Patrick Stickles.

Haha, what lifestyle choices does Colin Meloy make that cause you concern? I'm genuinely interested because I love that man and other than being a bleeding-heart liberal and occasional absinthe binger, I can't find anything about him that even my mom would disapprove of. Also, boring music can be good indeed - see, for instance, the National or the Shins, music so plain that it's nearly impossible to describe in any distinctive way

Sorry to be off topic though. How's Lana's album? I'm waiting for Tuesday.

Kid Charlemagne
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Did you not read what I posted? I basically said I like boring music. I have little problem with band like you mentioned. Christ. As for Colin Meloy, I had a heated discussion with him on Twitter last year regarding the reaction to Osama Bin Laden's death. It's also beside the point, you can disagree with an artists view on things and still enjoy their music. Many of my parents' friends vote democrat and love Ted Nugent, I'm a fan on Tim Tebow even if I don't consider myself a Christian. Blah blah blah. Hell, look in the Tool thread and 25% of the posts are about how Maynard is an asshole, yet I'm sure those same people are still going to buy Tool records and see their shows. None of this matters though, Lana Del Rey still sucks.

On topic, I thought the link O_M posted was interesting, I would think it would be smarter to say "well I was nervous being in front of a huge audience" or "the band was out of key", but she basically stated there's nothing special live? I don't know if I respect her for admitting she sucks or if I'm disappointed that she's not trying to cover it up

konstantin
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
my guess is the guy who booked her was fully aware of what to expect. i call it a publicity stunt for a TV show i know nobody who watches. from what i read it's not like the actual show didn't suck big time. so it was a sucky performance in a sucky show.

they should book Azealia Banks next. except her performance won't really rely on vocal gymnastics so less opportunity to fail and stir controversy.

carpenoctem
01-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Did you not read what I posted? I basically said I like boring music. I have little problem with band like you mentioned. Christ.

Oh, did you read mine? Because I didn't say you don't like boring music. I was simply agreeing with you that boring music can be good even if it's not very distinctive. No need to drop the C-bomb; just read more carefully next time. :|

Kid Charlemagne
01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
my guess is the guy who booked her was fully aware of what to expect. i call it a publicity stunt for a TV show i know nobody who watches. from what i read it's not like the actual show didn't suck big time. so it was a sucky performance in a sucky show.

they should book Azealia Banks next. except her performance won't really rely on vocal gymnastics so less opportunity to fail and stir controversy.Banks is just as annoying, her off the cuff remarks remind me of MIA, except, and it pains me to say this because I don't like MIA either, that Banks is less talented.

slave2thewage
01-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I just heard Blue Jeans. Me gusta.

/csb

k258
01-28-2012, 08:59 AM
It looks like someone plumped up her lips, stuck a wig on her, shoved her onstage and said, "Go out there and sing something, honey." And she, looking like a deer in headlights, nervously warbles and men want to fuck her, so they think she's good. I'll admit that she has an unusual voice, but it takes more than a voice to be an artist.

Nobody stuck a wig on Lady Gaga. She put it on herself. Nobody wants to fuck her, either. I think Gaga is awesome. She orchestrated her own persona and she's got talent galore. The light in her eyes comes from within, not from a headlight.

carpenoctem
01-28-2012, 09:30 AM
The light in her eyes comes from within, not from a headlight.

That's deep man, we should make that the subtitle for her thread.

october_midnight
02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Ouch. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/26-meanest-quotes-from-reviews-of-lana-del-reys-n)

Might I suggest #24 ? ?

Space Suicide
02-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Those quotes just seem to look for borderline amusing and witty sentences to get an unsupported opinion across. I checked out some of the full reviews (funny that only 5 were excerpted from) and they offer no real insight to their star ratings. It's just wannabe metaphors and witty descriptions to try and make it funny and as unhelpful as possible. Meh, whatever. I'm not a fan nor do I care for remarks made but published professional reviewers should be a bit more tasteful in word choices and their thoughts other than 'This sucks because it sounds like a tryhard."

I'm guilty of such similar review tactics but I'm not a professional nor do I leave a reason for my words unsupported.

carpenoctem
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I like the album. It's obvious that her public image and sound is a manufactured product, but it's a good deal easier to stomach than the other seductive tramps out there shooting whipped cream out of their Terminator bras or spilling pink liquid on their breasts in slow motion in violently technicolor music videos. The vibe goes for old Hollywood, dark American disillusion and dirty urban glamour, and it hits its mark throughout the album. It's a decent pop album and a carefully plotted fiction. What else do you need to know?

blackholesun
02-04-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't get it.

aggroculture
02-04-2012, 07:34 AM
To me she's a bit like Fiona Apple without teeth or bite: just lips.

Hazekiah
02-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Personally, I've only heard a couple of her songs but I thought they were all great.

Don't really care about any of the stupid shit anyone has to say about anything else to do with her.

But I did find THIS recently and found it rather amusing:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/406456_10150670289497004_507362003_11832715_534906 468_n.jpg

Highly Psychological
02-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I hate the fact this is one of those names i cant escape.I dont want to know about her, but its on all the websites, facebook, people talking about her, seeing that poster of her sullen face everywhere..... she will do well anyway because the record companys know this type of 20 something female singer who appeals to mothers, and young women sells. These are the only type of people who buy C.Ds today. If you take a look at Adele's record sales figures from her last record, fucking 10 million records in 2012... astonishing. you can see why the record companies need people like Lana Del Ray, there will be many more to come. I dont understand what is so special about Adele. Good voice, but i dont care! In the same way as this woman. What justifies her, when there are so many awesome acts out there at the moment.She is probably being promoted as the ' AMERICA'S ANSWER TO ADELE'......now that will sell.At the moment there seems to be a current 'it' female singer every 6 months. dates back to when Amy Winehouse exploded in 2006. Then Lily Allen then Kate Nash, (anyone remember her lol) then Adele, then Lady Gaga, then Jessie J ( by far the goofiest and the worst) then Nicky Minaj then THIS BITCH!! Before this wave of female singers in the past 5 years, majority of women had to act like total slutbags to sell records, look at just 10 years ago the requirement in the pop field was to act like a lapdancer, Christina Aguilera and Britney even late period Aaaliyah R.I.P totally adhered to this. So at least things have changed its not about using sex as much to sell female acts. Lady Gaga and Amy Winehouse were the best. Amy Winehouse had best voice really overbearing and the junkie/alcoholic image sold and got her attention, Lady Gaga had best song with Pokerface and by far best image!!!I think this may be the first era when women are more important to sell more records than men.

Hazekiah
02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
^ Like much of the "criticism" regarding her, that's just a bunch of non-music-based reactionary silliness.

Anyway.

The new "Rolling Stone" came in the mail today.

http://i.imgur.com/Kgtsl.jpg

Jinsai
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I think a big part of my irritation stems from not just that she's a manufactured indie-styled diva, it has a big part to do with just how empty and boring her personality is when it plays out in her performance and her interviews. I guess it's a given that she doesn't write the music, and I think the jury is out on her singing being less than spectacular.... so what is the appeal here? Sure, the music doesn't really do it for me, and the push is so transparent that it borders on obnoxious, but she's shockingly dull. I read an interview with her talking about her aesthetic fit to a character in a David Lynch movie, and her meandering response was something along the lines of "I respect David Lynch as a cultural icon." She gave no indication that she'd appreciated or even seen any of his work, but she seemed somehow aware that her tailored image was intended to elicit a Lynch vibe. I cannot imagine being asked a question about David Lynch and responding with something so vague and ultimately meaningless. She's so fake she might as well be CG. I'm not saying you can't enjoy the music that's been created for a robot to sing, but that's what this feels like to me.

GoodSoldier333
02-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Lol she can't even properly start her first tour.

carpenoctem
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Well she says she's nervous onstage. Add to that all the unwarranted media venom and I'd say she's got a stressful first tour ahead of her.

Dethbryte
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I like her music, but I honestly couldn't give a fuck less about how she looks. Same for Gaga, really.

hobochic
04-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm glad someone's doing this kind of stuff again, it's been a while :

Two of my favorite live Lana clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ9udV0TZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHPTjnd9xHU&feature=related

Carpathian Psychonaut
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
My position on her?

I know she's manufactured (or at the very least carefully guided in direction, shall we say), I know that however genuinely good she is there is a carefully targeted wall of hype behind her and I know she'll probably sell loads & be gone in a year or two......................

.......but every time I hear one of her records play on the radio or whatever I really like her. They're simply really well done tracks - good pop isn't easy to do.

Given, therefore, my initial and current background thoughts about her she really must be doing something very right indeed.

carpenoctem
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah. This, so far, is still my most-listened to album of 2012. I'm Team Lana all the way and I don't feel the need to justify it to the snobs. :D

dlb
11-13-2012, 05:37 AM
So what's the opinion on the Paradise EP? Since I haven't bothered to track down and listen to any unreleased tracks in the past I'm quite wowed, especially by "burning desire" which comes close to being one of my most listened tracks in 2012. I don't know what it is about her, but I genuinely enjoy most of her output. Guess I have to come up with my own tracklist these days to put on my iPod. Still I'm shocked to see that tickets for next year's concerts are at almost 50€. Jesus! And the venues seem a bit too big for her. Don't think I will go although I was hoping I could finally take my girlfriend out for a concert again, but seeing that this won't be as intimate as I had hoped my plans are pretty much shattered. Well, I guess one of heir H&M shirts will have to suffice for now. :P

laci
11-13-2012, 06:36 AM
She's great. I've just illegally downloaded the Paradise Edition of the album. Cola is a killer song. :)
Oh, I also like her cover of Heart-Shaped Box. What I dislike is the visual presence. Her videos are boring.

ambergris
11-13-2012, 06:47 AM
I like 'Summertime Sadness' and 'Video Games', I don't know much more and don't care about the background machinations of her career, but, it's interesting how this Paradise EP/2nd version of her album mirrors Lady Gaga's Fame/Monster thing. Is this the new standard, to attach a few new songs to an already old album to milk it a little more?

Space Suicide
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Not a really big advocate for her but her latest single Ride is fan-fucking-tastic. It has a haunting sound, I really dig that.

Body Electric on the new Paradise Edition is also great.

dzaver
11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm such a sucker for her voice and her haunting feeling in all the songs. I dont care what, where, how... all I know is that she is much better and has much more to offer than Lady Gaga and all the girls around like Rihanna and company which are cheap chiks... But she's got it. Something in her voice, cheesy lyrics which I would hate if they were sung by some other "popstar"... don't know why... normally I'm not into that.

Jord
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
it's interesting how this Paradise EP/2nd version of her album mirrors Lady Gaga's Fame/Monster thing. Is this the new standard, to attach a few new songs to an already old album to milk it a little more?

It's not uncommon, I think Jessie J did it, Katy Perry did with the complete confection thing, eminem did with relapse and refill, fightstar did, james blake did, and I believe current hot new singer here Emile Sande is about to rerelease too. Always about a year after,the same album repackaged with bonus tracks or a new EP added. I find it sad and a waste of cash, no wonder people pirate stuff.

Back on topic, not a big fan, but Ride comes on the radio a lot, and I do enjoy her distinct sound.

DVYDRNS
11-14-2012, 06:21 PM
its not a few new songs. its 8 new songs. the original album should have only been 9-10 songs. this should have been a new album. or a couple ep's. either way i think its good enough to purchase.

carpenoctem
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Paradise EP is amazing. It has a different feel from Born To Die, less sultry hip-hop and more quiet, cinematic melancholy. It should definitely be considered its own album. Tack this on as another win for Lizzy this year.

I'm such a sucker for her voice and her haunting feeling in all the songs. I dont care what, where, how... all I know is that she is much better and has much more to offer than Lady Gaga and all the girls around like Rihanna and company which are cheap chiks... But she's got it. Something in her voice, cheesy lyrics which I would hate if they were sung by some other "popstar"... don't know why... normally I'm not into that.

I feel the same way. There's something about her that really speaks to me for whatever reason. Her voice and style are very unique, she really stands out in the crowd.

DVYDRNS
06-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I want some new Lana music. so I delved into the Lizzie Grant stuff... and anybody who says this chick is a fake, needs to only look back before she was anybody. Shes got some talent. The demo's prove that for sure.

Kodiak33
06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I think she's gorgeous and her voice is infectious. I'm a sucker too.

theimage13
11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I like, I like.

I can't pin down why. I can't compare her to anyone else I listen to. But I heard Video Games on our non-profit station last year and thought it was a pretty good track, then kind of lost her again. Then I heard Off to the Races on the same station a few days ago, and I can't get it out of my head. So I fired up Spotify and gave that album a listen, and I kind of dig it.

Space Suicide
12-10-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwuHOQLSpEg

Pretty neat.

Rabbit
08-07-2014, 03:04 AM
I want some new Lana music. so I delved into the Lizzie Grant stuff... and anybody who says this chick is a fake, needs to only look back before she was anybody. Shes got some talent. The demo's prove that for sure.
Agreed.

It took me a while to get into her, mainly because everyone was saying how manufactured she was then one of her songs struck me, her voice got me. I went and looked at her old stuff and i'm like wtf? It's her, this is who she is. Wtf are people getting crazy about?

Got the new album Ultraviolence. Immediately fell in love with West Coast, Shades of Cool, Fucked my way to the top, Florida Kilos. Love this fucking chic. There's no other mainstream pop singer doing this right now. I want more of this album, i hope she gets darker.

Goddamnit i don't care even if i'm being sold, she's alluring as fuck.

thelastdisciple
08-07-2014, 04:25 AM
I love the vintage hollywood kind of style she has going on, really dig Video Games, Blue Jeans, Shades Of Cool...

GulDukat
08-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I have her new album. I like it, don't love it.

Radiovoyr
08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I actually like the new one a lot. More than Born to die.

Charmingly Miserable
08-07-2014, 11:02 PM
I listened to Ultraviolence in its entirety. Still pretty damn good.

theimage13
08-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Amazon had Ultraviolence for 69 cents, so I decided to give it a shot. Halfway through so far. Nothing memorable so far, but it'll make good background music.

screwdriver
09-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Amazon had Ultraviolence for 69 cents, so I decided to give it a shot. Halfway through so far. Nothing memorable so far, but it'll make good background music.

it's been kind of a sleeper for me. I listened to it when it came out and had the same reaction to it, but gave it another shot a few weeks later and found that I really enjoy the fact that it has a voice and style. some of the songs are a bit skippable but on the whole I enjoy it. dont think it will age great but I could be wrong

Space Suicide
08-13-2015, 09:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnxpHIl5Ynw

New

Radiovoyr
08-14-2015, 10:02 AM
I like both of the new songs a lot and I am looking forward to the new album. Pretty sure HEALTH - DEATH MAGIC will be album of the year/decade/life for me though.

richardp
08-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Man, every album she puts out I try to get into it, and I just can't. I feel like she's the counter part to The Weeknd, who I'm obsessed with, so it bums me out that I just cannot get into her.

october_midnight
08-14-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm with you, while I really like a few tracks, for the most part I really can't get super deep in to her. Only difference is The Weeknd who I was reeeeaaally in to, even seeing him live a few times a few years back...but for some reason one day I just lost all interest and now find to be in the same boat. The new Lana tracks are kinda ho hum.

In other news though, she apparently just announced that the new album drops Sept. 18th...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMYw5Z9XAAAS7Kw.jpg

Amaro
08-14-2015, 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlf9e9PnJZM

This song got me into her the other month (from a live clip though), the chorus vocals especially just hooked me. I then started proper with Ultraviolence, which ended up a total moody success for me. Lots of gold.

It made it hard to get the right footing with Born To Die, the two albums have very different feels overall.

october_midnight
08-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Ultraviolence is a great track. I'm also a big fan of Brooklyn Baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xcnjAG8pE

frankie teardrop
08-21-2015, 08:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDU4QvdwVk&feature=youtu.be

new song. kinda a snoozer, imo. best moments include completely cribbing 'space oddity' and 'you only live twice.'

Amaro
09-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Music To Watch Boys To.

dlb
09-21-2015, 02:52 AM
phew, spent the sunday listening to the new record with the lady... I would consider myself a fan but this one really is a snoozer. Only stand-out track for me truly is "Terence loves you".

Amaro
12-04-2015, 08:14 PM
I've listened to the new album enough to know I want to buy it.

In other news, this song is epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVHYvBYDUs

Jinsai
08-24-2016, 11:23 PM
working at a karaoke night thing tonight, and apparently she's supposed to be surprise showing up. Random.

Mantra
08-24-2016, 11:28 PM
^ask her to do bohemian rhapsody

Jinsai
08-24-2016, 11:41 PM
^ask her to do bohemian rhapsody

Will do... If she does it I'll post a clip

edit: Unfortunately she didn't sing anything, which would have been interesting. That was one of the single most bizarre nights of my life though, I have to say...

Amaro
05-15-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm loving every new song so far... Super jacked for Lust For Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zYSBK7Blw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cTIXoBnuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDfD_RtYiA

Space Suicide
05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
As long as it's better than Honeymoon I'm game!

Amaro
07-22-2017, 03:50 PM
I don't have an opinion formed on the new album as a whole, but "In My Feelings" is perfect. One of her best "fuck you" songs. Boiling over low key.

Ruined
07-22-2017, 04:12 PM
I loved Ultraviolence and her earlier work. However, the last album didn't interest me. I'm hoping Lust for Life is a return to form. Got to see her live, on the "Endless Summer" tour and it was excellent!

Space Suicide
07-22-2017, 08:59 PM
I skimmed the album on spotify last night but bought the physical copy today at Best Buy to go for a spin.

whimsicality
07-23-2017, 02:04 PM
I've heard a few Lana Del Rey songs I've liked, but never have I felt smitten enough to track down a complete album.

However, I do associate her with this silly parody, and that makes me smile :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DSCUf1l9g

Ruined
07-23-2017, 02:08 PM
After listening to the album on Spotify, I bought the new album today as well. I'm enjoying it so far.

Amaro
07-23-2017, 02:48 PM
I've heard a few Lana Del Rey songs I've liked, but never have I felt smitten enough to track down a complete album.

Not knowing your tastes at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF-psdHphzc

Song is fucking smooth and dark as fuck, fucking 'ell... (ah sue me--I posted it on this page/thread already)

I'd just check all of her songs (including her debut self-titled album).

I love so many of her songs, but there is a good enough share I'm just not that into, most of which are found on Born To Die. If I were to buy it it I'd get Born To Die - The Paradise Edition (which is where "Gods & Monsters" from above is from). So many cuts on there that should have been replaced certain songs on the standard edition. *shakes head*

thenorthwood
11-17-2017, 12:57 AM
I like many of Lana’s songs and others I find unmemorable. Has anyone seen her live? I’m curious enough to get a ticket for a show next year but I am undecided because of what I’ve read about lack of stage presence and performance and brevity of said performance. Plus I’ve read her shows become too much of an audience sing along, which I don’t like. Plus it’s in an arena and I don’t know how those intimate melancholy songs will translate in such a sizeable venue. All this debate because I don’t know if it’s worth taking a vacation day or two to travel to see her, which I would have to do.

Kodiak33
11-17-2017, 10:25 AM
I like many of Lana’s songs and others I find unmemorable. Has anyone seen her live? I’m curious enough to get a ticket for a show next year but I am undecided because of what I’ve read about lack of stage presence and performance and brevity of said performance. Plus I’ve read her shows become too much of an audience sing along, which I don’t like. Plus it’s in an arena and I don’t know how those intimate melancholy songs will translate in such a sizeable venue. All this debate because I don’t know if it’s worth taking a vacation day or two to travel to see her, which I would have to do.

I saw her a couple of years ago with Grimes, I thought Lana was fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of hers before I saw her live either.

Space Suicide
11-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Planning to see her in January when she stops in Charlotte, NC. I’ll get back to you.

frankie teardrop
11-17-2017, 08:59 PM

the rumors are true! i saw her live this year and it was incredibly boring, too short, and full of too many tweens in flower crowns singing along. and i'm a pretty big fan...

thenorthwood
11-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Planning to see her in January when she stops in Charlotte, NC. I’ll get back to you.

Good, I’ll be curious to read about your experience.

I saw her a couple of years ago with Grimes, I thought Lana was fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of hers before I saw her live either.

Good to know she left a positive impression. I love Grimes, saw her open for Florence & the Machine. That would be a different juxtaposition with Grimes’ music being high energy and Lana’s low key.

the rumors are true! i saw her live this year and it was incredibly boring, too short, and full of too many tweens in flower crowns singing along. and i'm a pretty big fan...

See that’s what makes me hesitate. Would you pay to see her again?

I was actually at a Lana Del Rey concert in 2015 when she played with Courtney Love. Courtney was fantastic and as a huge Hole fan I was excited to finally see her perform. Then we waited for an hour and they announced the show was canceled because of severe weather threat (outdoor venue). A huge uproar went through the crowd and everyone eventually filed out, just to sit in the parking lot for an hour. So, I never got to see her and it feels like a missed opportunity. The date was eventually canceled instead of rescheduled so at least I got to see Courtney Love for free! I can’t tell you how many angry conversations I heard leaving the venue complaining they only got to see Courtney....”Who the hell is Courtney Love?!”

frankie teardrop
11-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Would you pay to see her again?

definitely not. still a fan, just not interested in the live show from here on out.

MrLobster
11-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Picked up the 180g vinyl on a whim... lavish and lush production.

The Doctor
11-19-2017, 06:12 PM
I was actually at a Lana Del Rey concert in 2015 when she played with Courtney Love. Courtney was fantastic and as a huge Hole fan I was excited to finally see her perform. Then we waited for an hour and they announced the show was canceled because of severe weather threat (outdoor venue). A huge uproar went through the crowd and everyone eventually filed out, just to sit in the parking lot for an hour. So, I never got to see her and it feels like a missed opportunity. The date was eventually canceled instead of rescheduled so at least I got to see Courtney Love for free! I can’t tell you how many angry conversations I heard leaving the venue complaining they only got to see Courtney....”Who the hell is Courtney Love?!”

I was at this same show in Dallas. I left feeling so incredibly disappointed, especially since I had traveled from out of town to go to this show. I was really digging her set list on this tour.

I did get to see her at ACL Festival a few years ago, and I thought she was fantastic then. I also got tickets to see her in Austin this coming Feb., so I'll finally get to see her again.

I'm looking forward to it, while there a few tracks that are kind of skippable, I think Lust for Life was overall great and a step in the right direction. While I think I enjoy Honeymoon more overall as whole album experience, Lust for Life has songs I like more than anything off of Honeymoon.

thenorthwood
02-10-2018, 09:30 AM

How was the show?

Space Suicide
02-10-2018, 10:19 AM
How was the show?

Chose not to. I'm such a killjoy :p

The girl I was seeing didn't want to go so I opted out. me and her might see Beck in April as a consolation.

october_midnight
09-12-2018, 04:25 PM
New single. Second single next week. Album early 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEKg1Ly0zY

october_midnight
09-18-2018, 03:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3DxELVPj4

New album called "Norman Fucking Rockwell". (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/lana-del-rey-norman-rockwell/)

Demogorgon
09-18-2018, 03:13 PM
One of the things i really like about Lana is that, for all the sweet sounding music and vocal stylings, she slips in all this course language. Not just that, but she works it into the context of the songs so it's not even out of place, and it's not there just for shock value.

Magtig
09-18-2018, 08:06 PM
"My pussy tastes like pepsi-cola" was a bit of a "whoa" moment when it came out. As soon as I heard it I was hooked, but you're right, it served this Americana vibe and wasn't just about the language used.

Maximilian
09-18-2018, 09:14 PM
I love this woman with all my heart.

Space Suicide
09-18-2018, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3DxELVPj4

New album called "Norman Fucking Rockwell". (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/lana-del-rey-norman-rockwell/)

Already? Dang.

october_midnight
08-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Norman Fucking Rockwell drops Aug 30. First tour dates announced.

https://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Lana-Del-Rey-2019-tour.jpg

dlb
08-01-2019, 10:41 AM
It's been six years since I've seen her live. Come on over lady, I want to spend a ridicilous amount of money for 16 songs. Sad thing is, I really want to. :D

Excited for the new record. The last two albums didn't really catch me, but there are some great songs here and there.

october_midnight
08-22-2019, 02:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrSX_OcpeJg

october_midnight
09-13-2019, 08:26 PM
So having a bit of time to get through the album in its entirety a few times now, fuckssakes it is gooooood​.

october_midnight
01-11-2021, 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=vBHild0PiTE

halo eighteen
01-18-2021, 08:18 AM
I almost feel bad for Lana that she's being called out (https://www.spin.com/2021/01/lana-del-rey-chemtrails-trump-presidency/), now that her being a poster child for white privilege as well as a Trump apologist is kind of coming to light.

eachpassingphase
01-18-2021, 04:36 PM
I love her imagery and sound, but she is just unbelievably dense and cannot read the room to save her life.

Her little outburst on instagram about how unfair critics were being to her was just bizarre. She absolutely did get a lot of criticism early in her career, and I felt like the earlier reactions to her lyrics were unfair. Unhealthy, codependent relationships like the ones she portrays in her work are a part of life for many people and are thus fair game for art. How many people love songs like "Reptile" and "Closer" even though those are clearly about unhealthy expressions of intimacy, but will clutch their pearls listening to "Born to Die" lyrics? So I supported her lyrical content because I did feel like the double standard was unfair.

But the weird thing is that when NFR was released those criticisms finally eased up, and reviewers were praising her relentlessly. So why did she decide to whine about Beyonce and FKA Twigs now? Why aim your frustration at women at all when historically it's been men who have gotten away with that? It didn't seem provoked by anything in particular, which just read as her making the success of black women all about her. If she had discussed the double standard that exists between male lyricists and female lyricists, I feel like her point would have made sense. And those women she mentioned DO get shit on for their lyrical content. Beyonce, Nicki and Cardi in particular.

And the "i have friends who are black rappers" shit just made me shake my head.

chuckrh
01-19-2021, 03:43 AM
I love her imagery and sound, but she is just unbelievably dense and cannot read the room to save her life.

Her little outburst on instagram about how unfair critics were being to her was just bizarre. She absolutely did get a lot of criticism early in her career, and I felt like the earlier reactions to her lyrics were unfair. Unhealthy, codependent relationships like the ones she portrays in her work are a part of life for many people and are thus fair game for art. How many people love songs like "Reptile" and "Closer" even though those are clearly about unhealthy expressions of intimacy, but will clutch their pearls listening to "Born to Die" lyrics? So I supported her lyrical content because I did feel like the double standard was unfair.

But the weird thing is that when NFR was released those criticisms finally eased up, and reviewers were praising her relentlessly. So why did she decide to whine about Beyonce and FKA Twigs now? Why aim your frustration at women at all when historically it's been men who have gotten away with that? It didn't seem provoked by anything in particular, which just read as her making the success of black women all about her. If she had discussed the double standard that exists between male lyricists and female lyricists, I feel like her point would have made sense. And those women she mentioned DO get shit on for their lyrical content. Beyonce, Nicki and Cardi in particular.

And the "i have friends who are black rappers" shit just made me shake my head.

To date, I've missed the boat on her. I should at least listen. Seems like 1 of those head in the clouds artists though. I got turned off by that first SNL appearance. She was beyond terrible.

henryeatscereal
10-26-2022, 03:12 PM
I'm just getting into her music, bought "NFR" and liked it, which one should i get next?

Lerxto
10-26-2022, 07:07 PM
I'm just getting into her music, bought "NFR" and liked it, which one should i get next?
Ultraviolence, for sure, then Honeymoon

henryeatscereal
10-27-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultraviolence, for sure, then Honeymoon
Awesome, will do.

From "Ultraviolence" i know "West Coast" and i love that one.

Disassociative
10-28-2022, 01:23 AM
Cruel World from Ultraviolence remains one of my favourites of hers.

Chemtrails Over The Country Club took a while to grow on me but I really love Yosemite and the title track now and enjoy it was a whole.

Black Bathing Suit and Dealer are interesting tracks from Blue Bannisters, which again the title track really grew on me but I need to spend a bit more time with it overall.

october_midnight
12-07-2022, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1600525087966433280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuY54A3bOmg

Jinsai
12-07-2022, 02:39 PM
I really wasn't into her music when she first came up, but I've pretty much turned around completely and I dig it now. I still haven't sat down and listened to an album all the way through yet though.

Paul
03-23-2023, 12:29 AM
I've been a Lana fan a long time. This latest song, from her new album due out this week, might be her finest yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegtK54DC4c

paul_guyet
04-06-2023, 10:38 AM
This is a RIDICULOUSLY strong Said A. Holy shit.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-06-2023, 09:47 PM
I really wasn't into her music when she first came up, but I've pretty much turned around completely and I dig it now. I still haven't sat down and listened to an album all the way through yet though.

As much as I adore her music, I cannot sit through an enitre album of her material. It starts to turn into a major snooze fest.