PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Mech
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Timeline bugs the crap out of me. I hid some activity from my profile thinking it was just going to hide that one post, but I still want future postings from that same app to get show on my wall. How do I go back and let that show now?

sentient02970
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Over on News Feed to the left there's an Edit button (pencil). That should bring up a list of all blocked feeds. If it's on there just hit the x to remove it from the block/hide list.

On the subject of Facebook, the whole thing is starting to just feel empty lately. It was fun when I started adding old friends and family but that has worn off and it's just an empty shell of a "here's what everyone is doing now" report. Maybe I'm missing something but there's just not much in there for me.

Pillfred
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Ya i was all but deleted and decided that since some of my family has started to add me i would stay on it. I am over FB, though too much garbage. I just use it anymore to keep in contact with my family peoples and some friends. Otherwise it just become is vacuous pit akin to a bad late night infomercial.

halloween
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Over on News Feed to the left there's an Edit button (pencil). That should bring up a list of all blocked feeds. If it's on there just hit the x to remove it from the block/hide list.

On the subject of Facebook, the whole thing is starting to just feel empty lately. It was fun when I started adding old friends and family but that has worn off and it's just an empty shell of a "here's what everyone is doing now" report. Maybe I'm missing something but there's just not much in there for me.

Yeah, the day i realized that was the day i disactivated my account; I got two people asking me "WHY AREN'T WE STILL FRIENDS?!" afterwards, and my reply "we are, i just disactivated my account." Most people never even noticed, heh.

M1ke
06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5921095/facebook-just-changed-your-email-without-permission-heres-how-to-get-it-back

So, I just deleted my facebook account over this, it's getting kinda scary. From my perspective, here's what happened:

A friend of mine (Karl) posted a link to this article on his profile. I read it, realized it had happened to me too, changed my email back and shared the link, along with comments about having to check the address book in my phone, because it was set to sync with facebook too.

Then I went to my phone and sure enough, all my contacts now had @facebook.com email addresses added to them. So I turned off syncing, edited all my contacts and thought I was done with it.

Today, another friend posted a link to an article about the same topic on a different site (this time it was on canoe.ca), and I decided to write a blog post about the changes. I went to my timeline to pull the original link and reference it in my blog post, but I couldn't find it there at all, it was just missing.

I went to my notifications because I know a couple of people shared it and in my notifications I can see that they shared it, but the link itself is completely gone, it's just not showing up in my notifications anymore either. If I click on those two peoples profiles I can see the link, they're not on timeline and the link still shows in their profiles. I then went to the timeline of the person who originally posted it (Karl) and he has deleted his facebook account, so I can't see it there anymore either.

So, as I was writing my blog post, I was thinking even further about it, and realizing that while people complained about timeline, timeline only changes the presentation, this time they actually changed the content on peoples profiles. And it seems like the link is gone from my timeline as well, but not from the pages of people not on timeline.

So that was unsettling enough for me to convince me that it was time to say goodbye to facebook and I deleted my account.

I sent texts to a few friends to let them know that if they need to get ahold of me they'll have to do it some way other than facebook, and was talking to one of them who told me that last night he posted a link to yet another news site talking about the email address change, and that he is on timeline and it's still up for him. Oddly enough, he shared it from a mutual friend, and neither one of those articles ever showed up in my news feed, so I never saw them to know that they were talking about this.

This is all sounding way too Orwellian for me. Without being able to know why some things are being seen and not seen, and with facebook making changes to the content of peoples accounts this is just screaming "stay away" to me. So anyhow, I'm off of facebook now.

kdrcraig
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
^ I don't think that's such a big deal. I always have all personal shit hidden on facebook anyway, just went and changed it so that email address doesn't show in my timeline either. I don't know about the things being seen/not seen, sometimes it seems like I'll see something in the news feed, look later and it won't be there, then even later it will be back at the top of my news feed. All their "improvements" just make the service shittier.

M1ke
06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
You're probably right about things being hidden from my news feed unintentionally, but when we know for sure that they are changing the content (email addresses) and we have no idea why they're showing some things and not other things that sounds really dangerous to me.

I've seen multiple apps on the site pop up and say things like "your friend recommends this app, try it today" and I've used apps that posted that on my profile too. The worst one was when I was at a concert and they had a screen that said you could post pictures from the crowd that would show on the screens before the show, so I downloaded the app, took a picture of the wife & I and uploaded it.

It never showed up on the big screen at the show, but it did ads for concerts on my facebook wall 3 times before I got home and realized it had done that. All of them that I was recommending they download the app and go to the show because I was having such a good time using their app, when in reality I was testing the app out and it didn't work.

I stopped installing apps because of that because it made it clear you can't trust the app company to not put words into your mouth. Today facebook told all my friends that my email address was one that it wasn't. When companies start misrepresenting me that becomes enough for me to stop dealing with them.

kdrcraig
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah I never do any apps on there because of the way it posts shit to your wall. I've always looked at Facebook as the less things you use on there the better.

BlueCalx
06-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I've toyed with the idea of deactivating my Facebook profile for months now. It's a huge time waster, it's packed with embarrassing mementos of my early 20s, and the news feed has become a burst sewer line of lurid articles, copypasta status updates, and unfunny images from 9Gag and Memebase. The brand has been diluted so much now that Facebook has started to look a lot like the "Funny Stuff LOL!!!" emails you perhaps used to receive from a goofy old relative. Still, my account remains. I'm involved with a local theatre troupe that does all of its organization through Facebook. I rely on its Events function to get the word out whenever I host a party or gather a crew for a club. I use its Messenger system more often than text messaging, email, or IM - it effectively combines all three. I only have a few close friends who don't use Facebook, and I've seen that their social lives have suffered for not being on it. I've also had tons of friends deactivate their account for various reasons only to come crawling back days later. I don't want to be that person. Facebook is massively annoying, but I'm not quite ready to phase it out just yet.

That said, does anyone have any tips for getting off Facebook and staying off? How do you keep yourselves from using Facebook as a procrastination mechanism? Have any of you found a way to keep using the functions of Facebook that you find useful whilst minimizing the noise?

REPLICA
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
I have thought about closing my Facebook quite a few times over the past few weeks. I want to have more time to do things, since it's summer. I thought about making a bare bones version for when I get back to school, since everyone has a Facebook.

icklekitty
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
It's much more fun to keep your facebook open and openly post about the more controversial aspects of your life to people who still go to church.

owinn
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Facebook: It's almost as good as ETS for passive aggressive ranting.

dlb
07-01-2012, 04:51 AM
That said, does anyone have any tips for getting off Facebook and staying off? How do you keep yourselves from using Facebook as a procrastination mechanism? Have any of you found a way to keep using the functions of Facebook that you find useful whilst minimizing the noise?

Blocked it on my computer and only use it on my iphone. that way I get all the updates I need (invitations, tour dates, messages sent to me) without staying there too long, because it gets annoying pretty quick to stay on their for a long time using a mobile device IMHO. So that'w what I do in private. At work they already have it blocked by default.

aggroculture
03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
The FB iphone app is a pile of shit.

I wish I could block that cat somehow. I already hid the page, but friends keep sharing the pics. Enough already.

nemesiswontdie
03-25-2013, 12:56 AM
The FB iphone app is a pile of shit.

The android FB app is a pile of shit as well. It force closes for no reason, pictures don't load half the time, sometimes when I like a picture or a status, it will unlike it the second after, comments don't go through sometimes as well. It's fucking awful.

There's a new problem I saw recently too. Instead of there being a '10+ new stories" button at the top of the page, it says "no internet connection" even though its connected to my wi-fi which is completely fine.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-25-2013, 12:36 PM
The FB app has been a pile of shit since I have owned an android for all these years. Force closes, you are very limited to what you can do which makes no sense, and when they update it it always crashes and doesn't work. I just use the regular desktop site on my phone through wi-fi.. works every time.

Pillfred
04-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Ive had decent luck with the app but this last update is downright horse shit on my end. Being as i don't have nets at home or on my phone anymore the only time i use it is at work, or wherever i find wifi. That said, it still really really shitty.

ibanez33
04-17-2013, 03:26 AM
I rarely use the iPhone app at all anymore. Are there any decent unofficial apps, kind of like AlienBlue for Reddit, or Echofon for Twitter? After a bit of Googling I came across MyPad (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypad-for-facebook-instagram/id412133981?mt=8). I'll use it for a few days before giving a legitimate review but I can already say it's WAY faster than the Facebook app, and you can use it for Twitter and Instagram as well. Even if it doesn't turn out to be that great I'll probably end up using it over the official app full-time, as long as it doesn't crash every 5 minutes.

kdrcraig
04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
I haven't really had many problems with the app on my iphone 4 or now with my 5. It's crashed a few times but other than that it seems perfectly fine.

bruised
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I disabled mine a few weeks ago, it's been great. I was spending too much time on there.

Amaro
04-21-2013, 09:22 AM
The latest iOS Facebook app is much better than how it was before.

Halo Infinity
09-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I've always had some sort of love/hate relationship with Facebook ever since mid 2008. And even when it worked for me, I'm still not fond of having to give out a cell phone number for verification. I'd also have to agree with those that say it's become sort of like Myspace since 2010 or 2011 in some ways. I'm also somewhat fascinated, yet dreadful of ways people can get fired for using Facebook. (As in things that seem harmless, or even are harmless unless your employer still begs to differ. But of course it still depends on how you act, look, and who you add, etc., as it's still a matter of common sense.)

And dare I say, I'd still use Facebook more than Twitter though, but that's only because I know far more people in real life that are on Facebook than Twitter. Ironically enough, I never had any love/hate relationship with Twitter, but that's also because I barely had anything to tweet about. Conversation seemed to always come easier to me on Facebook.

Oh, and on the bright and rather flippant side, I happen to love Angry Birds on Facebook. :)

-Edit: Because it seems so right to put the URL to the actual site being discussed within the first page of the thread.-

https://www.facebook.com/

Vertigo
09-13-2013, 01:43 AM
I hate the way profiles are organised now, particularly the 'likes' section. It's virtually illegible, and has had functionality removed as you can't manually sort them anymore. And why don't they show total likes for a band/film/whatever on mouseover anymore if one of your friends is among them?

#Firstworldproblems... but if Facebook is so concerned with retaining their 'cool' factor, they've done a lot to squash it in recent years. To their credit, though, the advertising isn't too intrusive.

ibanez33
09-13-2013, 02:28 AM
To their credit, though, the advertising isn't too intrusive.

I get push notifications to my phone because "Facebook suggests you play ____!" even though the only game I've ever played on Facebook was Zynga Texas Hold 'Em like 5 years ago. Not even friend invites to games (which are enough of a pain already), just notifications because Facebook is arbitrarily suggesting them to me.

Vertigo
09-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Ouch. That's some bullshit right there.

I've noticed a lot of my friends have lessened or flat-out stopped posting on Facebook over the last year or two, is anyone else experiencing this?

dlb
09-13-2013, 04:10 AM
Well the buzz has worn off and I find myself not posting too much anymore either. Mainly because no one clicks that shit anyway and even if it's usually the same kind of people I'm around with in RL anyways. That's my experience for the last year.

I'm even thinking about shutting it down all the way but I like to stay connected with bands and be invited to group chats so I might delete everything I can from my current account and leave the messenger app on my phone and get a new account for all the updates I want. You know, no friends but some kind of comprehensive newsletter. That's why I liked Facebook in the first place. To have all things on one site for me to scroll through.

EDIT: Wow, one thing that freaked me out in February just came to my mind. I just broke up with this great girl and I went out with a friend on Valentine's day to be miserable together. So while sitting at that bar all of a sudden a message pops up "[she]'s at a place near your location". da fuck?! She went to the theatre and tagged it on Facebook, but that place wasn't even remotely near where I was at. That's when things got creepy... Kind of like FB wanting to tell me more that I don't know about. And that hasn't happened with any other of my contacts ever. And I don't think I activated something to keep track of her more than others. I don't even now if that's possible...

Halo Infinity
09-13-2013, 02:19 PM
It doesn't seem like anybody here has overlooked it, but this is the URL to go to in order to delete your Facebook. I can't believe that I forgot to post it here. I also noticed that lots of people are actually unaware of this feature even until now. (But not on ETS from the looks of it.) I also never understood why Facebook didn't make it a more conspicuous option. (And well, the posts about deleting accounts just reminded me to post this, in case some, or even a lot of you haven't come across this. It's far better than just de-activating your account if you're actually leaving IMHO.)

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

And yeah, as ironic as it really seems, it's hard to get a conversation going in Facebook sometimes, but in the meantime, I suppose ETS will do. :p Oh yeah, and I never got into the idea of having to show a picture ID like a driver's license in as a security check either. And to think that you still need to submit a phone number in order to name your URL. Good thing Twitter doesn't resort to any of that.

sentient02970
09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
The time has come to take a closer look into why Facebook annoys the fuck out of us. (http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html)

Halo Infinity
09-17-2013, 09:18 PM
sentient02970 - That was a very good read. I'm still in the middle of though. It really is no wonder why it's like there's absolutely nothing to talk about on Facebook sometimes. I also might've been guilty of talking about loneliness on Facebook before, but that was in an actual conversation only to leave me ridiculed by somebody. So, yeah, if it doesn't make people feel shitty, it also encourages people to take potshots at you.

I also had a crush that seemed to exhibit just about all of those traits in her statuses, and I think she unfriended me for questioning them. I didn't call her out for those things, but it really is frustrating when somebody posts something, but then doesn't really want to talk about it. And it's even worse when the statuses are ambiguous, vague, and suggestive.

And then of course you have the people that seem to post about every single detail of their personal lives, and the people that seem to troll you and flame for you no reason even if you're supposedly cool in real life. And when I say trolling, I'm also talking about people that on your account to make you look bad as a joke, or intentionally piss you off just for kicks. Some of them don't even bother to say that they're kidding. (Who are supposedly your friends.)

sentient02970
09-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Haha Kris...I think we're all guilty of a few if those. No worries.. My personally favorite and most annoying status has to be "Ughhhhhhh" lmao

Pillfred
09-18-2013, 07:23 AM
I generally only troll a couple friends on game days, but they're Vikings fans. ;)

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I still think Mark Zuckerberg being caught calling Facebook users dumb fucks was one of the most unsettling and awkward things he said.

With that being said, I could actually see and agree that there are a lot of bad things that just can't be solely blamed on Facebook, since nobody twists anybody's arms *Or at least I'd hope not. :p* to post volatile, shameful, irritating, incriminating, and instigative status posts. :p

sentient02970
09-18-2013, 01:21 PM
people gonna be people! lol

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
My thoughts exactly. Technology just like any other tool is on the user's abilities/decisions, not the other way around. :p

cahernandez
09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I still think Mark Zuckerberg being caught calling Facebook users dumb fucks was one of the most unsettling and awkward things he said.

With that being said, I could actually see and agree that there are a lot of bad things that just can't be solely blamed on Facebook, since nobody twists anybody's arms *Or at least I'd hope not. :p* to post volatile, shameful, irritating, incriminating, and instigative status posts. :p

When are where did this happen? What was the context?

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 06:21 PM
It actually happened with in late 2003 or early 2004 via IM because people were sending him E-mail addresses, pictures, home addresses and SNs. Which I could see as foolish too. And even if Facebook was not what it is today back then, I still found it to be very unsettling and awkward. Here are some of the URLs I came across when I searched for it on Google.

http://gawker.com/5636765/facebook-ceo-admits-to-calling-users-dumb-fucks

http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg

sin
09-21-2013, 04:16 AM
A large chunk of people don't seem to care about protecting their data online, but would up in arms if it was abused, I guess his amazement was at how easily it could be abused - unfortunately people don't like being called dumb no matter how true it is (its why packets of peanuts contain "warning contains nuts" on the packet).

Pillfred
09-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Right. Hence why I generally only post anything online that I don't think I would stand behind, no matter the "alias." Maybe that's just my pre-internet brain at work.?

sin
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Pre-internet brain? It could be pre-social-networking brain. Prior to the rise of social networking, many people would have an online persona and an offline one. They could spend time in forums etc under a pseudonym and say what they wanted. People would express views they wouldn't admit to IRL. Various post-911 measures have made internet anonymity harder, though most people might not realise and believe anonymity is real, yet its social networking that has changed it by making people use their actual identity. Look how many sites utilise facebook authorisation. You do hear of the odd case (like the cyberbulling news story around a month ago) where users can be anonymous because the site doesn't keep logs, but this is far from the norm.

People still say things online they wouldn't in-person because using a screen and keyboard gives them some distance, even if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Pillfred
09-22-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm old, so yes pre-internet, that and I grew up in a very insular town where telling even one person you heard a rumor eventually leads back to you as being the originator. That and I've always had a big mouth that consistently gets me in trouble. This is not to say I disagree.

sin
09-23-2013, 04:46 AM
I'm old, so yes pre-internet, that and I grew up in a very insular town where telling even one person you heard a rumor eventually leads back to you as being the originator. That and I've always had a big mouth that consistently gets me in trouble. This is not to say I disagree.

Do you mean pre-internet or pre-web? Many people think they are the same thing. I was using email and text newsgroups at Uni in the late 80's, that's pre-web but not pre-internet.

Pillfred
09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Web I guess. I suppose you're right my buddy had bbs going back in middle school. I was pretty out of it yesterday.

Halo Infinity
02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
I just knew I'd end up back in this thread again. Anyway, if you're still on Facebook, this is the Nine Inch Nails group to join. I've also promoted ETS and The NIN Hotline there before.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209586182/

Oh, and speaking of The NIN Hotline, here it is on Facebook in case any of you have missed it. :p

https://www.facebook.com/ninhotline

aggroculture
03-07-2014, 09:14 AM
FB have fucked with the feed again. Now I get a ton of old stories, reshown to me because someone, usually the OP, commented. No: I didn't care the first time, why do I have to see the story again?
Also, I hate having no control as to whether my "likes" are transformed into posts.
Fuck that. Let the two be separate.

Vertigo
03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Facebook has ever had an update that was, overall, a good thing. I'm struggling to remember any.

Walls and interest pages still virtually illegible, by the way. It's reminding me of when Myspace started to become dominated by ridiculously overcolourful page themes. At least that was the page owner's choice...

thelastdisciple
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I kinda like the design update they just made with new icons and the feed posts are boxy.

aggroculture
03-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I wish we could remove the trending box. I don't give two flying shits what's "trending."

Halo Infinity
05-19-2014, 04:23 PM
To my surprise, Facebook is actually still my favorite social networking site in spite of it's controversies, and in spite of some negative experiences with it. I've mostly gone there to lurk on pages, or play some Facebook games these days, as I still take some hiatuses from it. I also wished I learned that it's sometimes better to post your own findings and interests, or start your own conversations on your own wall a whole lot earlier. It's an unwritten rule that's also supposed to be common sense, but from what I've noticed, that's almost tantamount to making the wrongs posts in the wrong threads or sections of a forum, and that's also depending on who's comfortable and okay with you sharing stuff on their wall, as some people love sharing videos and pictures, while some people aren't even into pictures, videos, pages, and games at all. Some, or even lots of people would rather not have you start conversations or ask questions on their walls even if they allowed people to post on it. (This is also true once you got even just a little bit beyond small talk.) I also like being able to have stuff in general becoming promoted on Facebook pages as well.

Although, at some point, it would also be better to only allow yourself to post your own stuff on your wall if you don't want it to become disrupted. Interestingly enough, Facebook got it right for their groups though, as it allows posts to become bumped or pinned. If only they'd allow people to do that on their actual profiles. I have yet to see that happen, but at least they've thankfully granted some permissions as far as editing posts went. It would also be nice if you could edit private messages as well.

(Some forums could actually do that, and some features from either type of community match, so I could see/imagine that becoming feasible in some random part of the future.)

I also still miss the option to turn off private messaging altogether, as I still found it to be a lot better that way.

aggroculture
06-23-2014, 08:58 PM
When I post something and it gets no likes or comments, I am ashamed.
I know it's stupid, algorithms yadda yadda yadda, but still.
Also, when I post on a thread, and other posts get likes from the OP, but mine doesn't, I am also ashamed.
I hate this "like" system. My new approach is to like all responses to my posts, just because.

I live for the Red Notification. What can I say?

Ryan
06-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I live for the Red Notification. What can I say?

You're a homosexual.

ophelia_
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Oh how I love facebook... Seriously can't go without it for more than a few hours. I know it's horrible, but it is what it is.

My friends are scattered all over Australia/the world so it's a pretty good way to keep up with what's going on with everyone.

Charmingly Miserable
06-23-2014, 10:25 PM
I hate FB.... but I can't go without for a few hours. I need a life.

tony.parente
06-24-2014, 04:20 AM
You're a homosexual.

Haha how did that not get facepalmed? Is that like black people being able to call each other niggas?

Ryan
06-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Haha how did that not get facepalmed? Is that like black people being able to call each other niggas?

Cuz aggroculture and I be tight, yo. Tight in each other's buttholes.

Halo Infinity
06-24-2014, 02:17 PM
This is yet another random observation of Facebook, but I've also noticed that a lot more people seem to use smartphones instead of PCs and laptops. I've also seen that happen on message boards, but not as much, and it's sometimes hard to have somebody keep up with you when they're using a smartphone and you're using a PC or laptop. At first, I also didn't realize that the private messaging functions simultaneously as an E-mail and an instant messaging service. They seemed to be separate back in 2008-2010 though.

Halo Infinity
09-06-2014, 09:47 PM
It still seems that most people I know in real life are on Facebook, and it still seems to be as personal and as real as it gets on the Internet. I can't say that I ever stopped liking it though, even if I took numerous breaks from it, as there are still some pages and games I like the frequent whenever I'm in the mood to do so. The only problem that hasn't changed is sometimes not knowing who to add, but it's also not that big of a problem.

Facebook and Twitter also still seem to be my top 2 sites to visit as far as social media goes these days. I think that's also about it from me about Facebook as of now, as this thought just occurred to me again, and I somehow missed posting it the last few times I've posted in this thread.

bruised
09-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Deleted FB more than a year ago, still going strong.

DigitalChaos
09-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm friends with at least 4 ETS members on FB. FB is the primary location that I share stuff with friends and family about random shit I am doing in life or things I find interesting (which is usually something nobody else likes).

DigitalChaos
09-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Some of you may be interested in:

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr
(facebook sorted by date, not by "interesting/popular")

https://www.facebook.com/feed/missed_stories
All the stuff that facebook decided to filter out of your feed. Im sure there may still be some things facebook won't even show you here, but I haven't figured that out.

aggroculture
09-27-2014, 08:20 PM
I am dreading being told I have to dl messenger or I don't get to read my messages.

kdrcraig
09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
I am dreading being told I have to dl messenger or I don't get to read my messages.

I refuse to use it. I don't do many messages on there but now when I do, it has to wait until I can get to a computer

aggroculture
09-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Oh, so on the computer we won't need it? I already deleted my FB iphone app a while ago.

kdrcraig
09-28-2014, 10:07 AM
As far as I know it's only required for the app

Halo Infinity
10-11-2014, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRl8EIhrQjQ

aggroculture
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
even though I constantly choose "most recent stories" my FB feed resolutely shows me old stories, days-old stories I didn't care about to begin with. Just because someone commented on it doesn't qualify it as a "recent story."

I fucking hate Facebook.

thelastdisciple
12-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah that whole comment bumping that seems to happen is annoying.

Regarding the iOS app version of FB, what the hell....why did they have to dick with it..........you have to go into the side nav just to get the most recent feed now, doesn't even give you that option to change it RIGHT FROM THE FEED like before.

They just continue to make navigating the site more and more inconvenient rather than convenient. What's with all these dumb UI changes. Jesus Christ.

Vertigo
12-19-2014, 05:19 PM
what the hell....why did they have to dick with it..........

I've been thinking this about the desktop version of FB for years.

Pillfred
12-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I refuse to use it. I don't do many messages on there but now when I do, it has to wait until I can get to a computer
I just use the mobile version in the browser in my phone.

Pillfred
12-21-2014, 02:22 AM
If you hate Facebook, you're doing it wrong.

slave2thewage
12-21-2014, 07:05 AM
I have an irrational hatred of the new "message received/read" notification on iOS Messenger.

aggroculture
01-06-2015, 06:45 AM
FB feels like it's really emptying out. I have like 500+ friends, and between showing me the same old messages over and over and refusing to show me everyone's status updates, and people not posting so much as they did a few years ago, it feels like a lot more static and boring and less vital than it used to. Feels like FB's time has come: and their own arrogance is partly responsible for this.

Vertigo
01-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Yep. My friends list is relatively small, but still, 95% of the friend updates that pop up are from the same few people, around 15% of my friends list. And I think it's mostly that they're the only ones still really into Facebook, rather than the site being overly selective about what's shown - they're certainly not the people I interact with the most.

elevenism
01-06-2015, 09:37 AM
i used to LOVE facebook, but i think i wound up adding too many people.
you get friend requests from everyone you've ever met, ever, and hell, i don't remember half the motherfuckers i went to high school with, but i recognize their names and add them cuz i don't wanna hurt their feelers.

To me, it is a bad idea to delete facebook though, because it is a way to share news or ask for help from, again, everyone you've ever met.

For instance, a few years ago, my dvd player quit working on a weekend when i had rented 8 movies.

So i ask on facebook if anyone has a dvd player i could borrow, and within 2 hours, one is delivered to my house. I still have the motherfucker.
Now THAT is cool.

also, what icklekitty said.
i don't censor myself on facebook, and i'm the same there as i am here...and people are shocked...and it's fucking funny.

But as far as a place for discussion and such? For some weird reason i like talking to people that i don't know. Also, the common (nin-ish) interests help.

It really trips me out. If i ask for advice, or something fucked up happens, more people pay attention here than on facebook.
SHouldn't it be the other way around?

I will never delete my facebook though, even though i barely use it. I just can't imagine NOT being able to get in touch with any of the 4 or 500 people i've added any time i want.

THAT's what i love about it i guess...if you're like, "well fuck me, i wonder what happened to good old Freaky Leroy..,haven't thought about him in years!"

Well you can just hit him up on facebook!

GibbonBlack
01-06-2015, 09:49 AM
These days I only access it through Tinfoil on my phone. Not out o paranoia or anything but because if I'm logged in through a computer I'd be on it all. I check it once or twice a day now

aggroculture
01-06-2015, 09:58 AM
i don't censor myself on facebook, and i'm the same there as i am here...and people are shocked...and it's fucking funny.

I'm in academia, which is by far not the only field where people lose jobs for posting opinions online: so from where I'm coming from FB is basically a bunch of people fronting, bragging, whining, being passive aggressive, not saying what they really think, changing their names, etc. It can get depressing as fuck: I have many friends on silent because I am sick of their bragging/whining (I call it "brining"). "OMG poor me I have jet-lag" (from all the international travelling I am doing). I have envy problems too, which is an issue that has been written about in regards to FB. But it's misplaced envy, because everyone's projecting these awesome lives, but it's a projection, a carefully crafted image. Or they're venting, which is even worse.
In short, you get to see the shitty side of people you like, and that's depressing.

allegro
01-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I deleted my Facebook account because the ADVERTISING and because of Facebook's creepy disregard for my privacy, even though I had my account locked down like Fort Knox, was too much and it had to go. I was IN advertising for years, so I probably have a lot more tolerance for advertising than most people, but I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. And the "suggested friends" at the top, where they were mining my contacts without my permission, and I assume they were also suggesting ME to others even though I had my profile on lockdown, pissed me off.

When a person I knew in Michigan from 6th grade was able to hunt me down and find me on Facebook and send me a message, that pretty much sealed the deal that FB sucks.

I don't WANT lots of friends. I didn't like high school, THEN, why the fuck do I want to talk with those assholes, now?

I was FB friends with my oldest childhood friend but she had such crazy conservative views that I didn't even KNOW about (Obama is really a muslim from Africa and has ruined the country, why did SCOTUS overturn the gay marriage ban in Michigan when voters voted it in? voters shouldn't be trumped by the US Supreme Court, etc., what in the living fuck), I unfriended her and she's stupid enough to think I deleted my FB account, and I almost unfriended her in real life, too, until my husband said that FB is a "friendship killer" and to blow it off. I did, we're still friends.

But then I realized that I had whittled down my "friends" list to just the people who shared my exact same views, and then it was like a political echo chamber full of people spewing the same shit or talking about their kids' lives over and over and over and my aunt posting really fattening recipes 400 times per day, and in between that THE FUCKING ADS and then, really, this is all not for US, this is to make Mark Zuckerberg et al very very very rich with advertising revenue from the information he has mined from all FB users. So, yeah, not worth it. I have old school email and texting that works just fine, thanks.

Since the BBS days, I much more enjoy being an anonymous pseudonym and conversing in the forum type of environment. I don't like too much personalization, I don't want people in my business, I don't want to know too much about theirs. Privacy is important enough to me that I like preserving it; I've seen the FBI and lawyers hunt through peoples' personal online crap (I've seen FB files successfully subpoenaed and used against them in lawsuits), and being anonymous suits me just fine, thanks.

Sarah K
01-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I still enjoy the shit out of it. And really, it seems to be the only way people in my generation know how to plan and organize events.

implanted_microchip
01-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I deleted my Facebook account because the ADVERTISING and because of Facebook's creepy disregard for my privacy, even though I had my account locked down like Fort Knox, was too much and it had to go. I was IN advertising for years, so I probably have a lot more tolerance for advertising than most people, but I just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

I have to say anyone with Chrome should have Adblock as a mandatory extension. I saw YouTube with ads for the first time in years the other day and wanted to cry.

allegro
01-06-2015, 11:28 AM
I have to say anyone with Chrome should have Adblock as a mandatory extension. I saw YouTube with ads for the first time in years the other day and wanted to cry.
Have it. Still too many fucking ads; not just on the sides, but in between. FB is smart enough to feed them to you in ways where you can't get rid of them. Bastards.

My husband still has his FB account so if something happens among his work friends, I can see it on his account (he tells me to look). If they plan something (retirement parties, band gigs), they often now plan it via FB but I don't care, somebody can send me a fucking email. Otherwise, my close friends primarily email and text. But my 70-year-old Aunt uses FB all fucking day, as does nearly all of my husband's retired friends; we joke "what do you do when you retire? you hang out all day on FB, evidently."

ManBurning
01-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I have a couple friends who have just announced they will be deleting FB this year to start the year off fresh. It kinda sucks. I can look past the advertising and see a generally useful tool. If not for keeping in touch with people, it acts as an up to date news feed for music/movie news and other stuff I have "liked" so I can keep track of all that stuff in one place. It's my goto site for news. I usually find out a local breaking news story from the trending topics on Facebook than I would in the news elsewhere.

I still enjoy the shit out of it. And really, it seems to be the only way people in my generation know how to plan and organize events.

And this 100%

I find it is still the most useful way of group messaging people to plan events and get togethers. It's a one stop shop. You message everyone you want to attend and you can see their reply's in real time etc. I just used it to plan a get together with about 6 friends coming up on Jan 17th. Everyone had an answer for me within a few hours. Very convenient. Not playing phone or e-mail tag.

I just couldn't imagine deleting it. And to be honest with you, one of those friends I mentioned above... posts and likes all day long. I am not sure how he is going to quit. I think he's addicted.

But on the other hand, Facebook has become less personable as someone mentioned above. Gone are the days of your friends updating their status on how they feel or showing off something they bought etc. Now it's moreso people just sharing news links and articles and silly memes and stuff. People rarely ever post stuff about themselves anymore, which is basically what Facebook was originally designed for. It somehow morphed into an RRS feed of random news.

allegro
01-06-2015, 12:15 PM
I just couldn't imagine deleting it.
Deleting mine had a few drawbacks for me; for instance, a few of the old people I was "friends" with on FB, like my old retired boss (76 years old) doesn't do anything BUT Facebook, and I was friends with his son, so each time he went into the hospital, I'd know via FB so he could be DEAD now and I wouldn't know about it. Ditto for my other retired boss who's wife I was friends with, they live in Vegas. My cousins and aunt live in Michigan, but only my aunt ever posted anything, and it was nothing but dumb quaint jokes and fattening recipes so now we all email, at least she knows how to use email and my one cousin does, too, the other one is an idiot and can only figure out Facebook. That's the thing about Facebook; I had a Twitter account, I still have an Instagram account, but most of the people I knew on Facebook found everything except Facebook too "complicated." I ended up reinstating a Twitter account just for a news feed, but realized that I was sitting there on my Twitter feed on my phone all the time watching news so I got rid of it again. This shit just sucks you in. My Instagram feed contains Chefs and Photographers so it's pretty snoozy, lol.

I'm in academia, which is by far not the only field where people lose jobs for posting opinions online
My best friend is a college professor and she doesn't even HAVE a FB account, somewhat for this reason but also because she stays "off the grid" to avoid wasting precious time. We're both not huge social types, though; when we socialize, we do so it very small, like two couples. We're introverts, so needing FB to send out group invites to tons of friends is a big not-necessary for people like us, who always had ways to get in touch with a small number of people whose schedules are so busy, we can't do anything on short notice, anyway. The majority of time, we end up rescheduling a few times.

edit: Here's what I don't get, though: I use email professionally. I receive a minimum of 200 emails per day. I coordinate and schedule millions of dollars worth of commercial and residential real estate sale closings per month, all via email, sometimes scheduling only TWELVE HOURS LATER with a lot of people involved: Seller's attorney, 3 people at the Sellers' office (a BIG COMMERCIAL BANK), Buyer's attorney, Buyer's lender (usually at least 3 people), Seller's real estate broker, Buyer's real estate broker, title company, etc. and, somehow, we make this work with no problems, and GIANT funds are being wired, MORTGAGE documents are being EMAILED, we have to order and receive loan payoff statements, condo or homeowner association payoff letters, transmit Seller's closing documents, request releases of liens from Villages, request copies of recorded documents from title companies, get proof of a clear-to-close from Buyer's lender, the title company transmits the HUD for signatures, transmits the final signed HUD, transmit proof of the wired net proceeds after we've closed, ALL KINDS OF THINGS, all within a few days, sometimes within one day, all via that pesky email.

Go figure.

elevenism
01-06-2015, 06:55 PM
I have envy problems too, which is an issue that has been written about in regards to FB. But it's misplaced envy, because everyone's projecting these awesome lives, but it's a projection, a carefully crafted image.

oh, good god, THIS. and i'm glad you said what you said.

I look at facebook and EVERYONE is doing better than me...WAY better! It's seriously fueled self actualization issues for me quite a bit.
I never really thought of it that way though...that people are showing you what they want you to see.

Now that i think about it, my friend shannon had recently kind of lost contact with the "crew" i grew up with, and we have all stuck together a LOT longer than most people, it seems.
I thought it was because she was doing BETTER than us, and of course, better than me specifically.
She posted pictures of her being at these lovely parties with healthy, pretty people, or doing noble things like going on 5k runs for noble causes and such.

But then she fucking killed herself! With alcohol! And before that, she had been drinking a half gallon of whiskey a day for a LONG damned time.
So, hey, yeah, she was doing a HELL of a lot worse than i am.

You saying what you said catalyzed my realization about that chick, and now it all makes more sense...i feel a little better.

oh and yeah, allegro ...your friend with the ideas about obama...i have, over the past three years or so, had the startling realization that about 80 percent of the people i know are ultra right wing homophobic pricks. And a lot of these people are dope smoking, long haired musicians.
Only in Texas.
Sigh.

I like talking to people in forums better too. You don't even have to know the gender of the person with whom you are speaking.

allegro
01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
My friend smokes dope, too, elevenism!! For many years! And I don't think she's a homophobe, she's just (sadly) stupid when it comes to basic Civics and American government. But holy fuck, if I saw her asshole cousin type "libertard" one more time, I was gonna go OFF on the stupid sonofabitch.

I just couldn't hack the meanness and arguing and stupidity. It was depressing. Maybe it's boring for me to stick to a forum mostly filled with liberals so I don't have to argue, but life is short and nothing comes from all that arguing, anyway; nobody changes their minds.

elevenism
01-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Libertard! ha! Hot damn, i'm gonna use that one.

"That muslim darkie's gunna take are GUNS!"

elevenism
01-06-2015, 08:06 PM
i just had to get up from the show i was watching to clarify something.

I have gotten really fucked up and posted things here that upset people.
And for those things i apologized, and even deleted posts.

I'm CERTAINLY not saying shit like that is funny, by any stretch of the imagination.
I didn't want anyone to think that, in reality, i thought it was funny, and if i had to apologize, that the apology was insincere.

(i've also on occasion revealed waaaay too much about personal situations. eating handfuls of xanax and posting on ets don't mix too well)

allegro
01-06-2015, 09:20 PM
I think we've all drunk posted and said stupid shit on forums at some point in our lives. And the old ETS board didn't allow us to delete posts! :eek:

Which is why anonymity is a wonderful thing. :D

Halo Infinity
01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYGNvCr5Vc

thelastdisciple
01-07-2015, 04:58 PM
I have always had a show and tell type of personality, when i was a kid it was check out my new action figures or the army i have amassed of plastic men and now some of it's just moved to an online environment it's check out my new video games and listen to this awesome new music i found.. or check out some video/photos i took of this gig i went to.

Is that really narcissism? or just innocent sharing?

I guess there are SOME people who really take it to the extreme, i have to hope I'm not one of those lmfao

Pillfred
01-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I don't take FB seriously, never really did to begin with. Even less so anymore. A guy at work was telling me about some go-pro Falcon video a couple months back that he was watching that someone had posted to his FB which led to a brief discussion on the merits of FB. What he said basically boiled down to this. He basically said, "I've blocked or unfreinded most of the idiots and now my feed is pretty much awesome videos of birds attacking other birds with go-pro's attached to them. Stuff like that." Which is how i sort of look at FB anymore as well. I think it's a good way to keep in contact with a few people whom i otherwise probably wouldn't due to life stuffs, and as a (admittedly) shitty sort of RSS feed. I'm getting old though too so i don't worry too much about posting stupid shit to my wall etc. Not to say that i am blind to how FB is/could be a really bad source of potential shit storms of various types. At the end of the day i still like ETS better. ;)

Edo
01-08-2015, 02:43 AM
I have an account under pseudonym, only to keep in touch with a few friends from abroad, follow news of my favorite TV series, and keep an eye on several NIN fan groups -- that's all I need from it. Eventually Facebook gave up trying to figure out who I went to kindergarten with. But boy, did it try hard at first. :D

Substance242
01-08-2015, 04:06 AM
I am not on Facebook for years (it was making me mad how stupid my friends are, for example liking some forwarded shit more than something original *I* posted, if you can imagine - smile, or just sitting there sucking out virtual energy from everyone and contributing NOTHING), but this was interesting read for me:

A Teenager’s View on Social Media
https://medium.com/backchannel/a-teenagers-view-on-social-media-1df945c09ac6

Halo Infinity
01-22-2015, 08:15 PM
While I can see why people can prefer Echoing the Sound and Internet forums in general more than Facebook and the like, I've asked around and noticed that those that prefer Facebook aren't interested in having conversations with strangers on the Internet, especially if the majority of them are anonymous with pseudonyms. They would rather have conversations with people they've known and met in real life. Despite being interested in message boards myself, I can definitely understand their desires for only wanting to solely focus on real life friends and family only, if not mostly contacting real life friends and family.

This of course, is outside of other valid and usual reasons from simply not having enough time to use forums, or just not being interested in forums. I was just curious about this side of the "Forums versus Social Media" discussion, and those were my usual responses from those that didn't like forums, or didn't care for forums. As for the majority of people I've known and met in real life, whether they be family, friends or acquaintances, they're mostly still on Facebook and/or Twitter. Some of them have also been on YouTube, Instagram and Tumblr as well, but not by a lot.

allegro
01-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Facebook has only allowed open access since 2006 (before that, it was college students only).

I've been on forums and BBSs since 1985.

I guess it's just what you're used to.

allegro
01-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Also, if you need information about gardening, buying a boat, Airstream RVs, trees for Zone 5, knitting, etc., you are WAY better off searching forums than any shit you'd find on Facebook. I joined a few professional groups on FB only to discover they were constantly trying to sell us shit or get info from us. It was worse than LinkedIn (another shithole).

SM Rollinger
01-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Never been on Facebook and never will.

I started posting on the now defunct accordinglydone.com, and then moved onto cb7tuner.com and around the same time i started on herzeleid.net and there was a mushroomhead forum I used to post on too.

Ive lurked on the toolshed.down.net and prongs.ministry.org forums forever, but this is the only place I post on anymore, because its the only place where the conversation is worth a damn.

Baphomette
01-27-2015, 12:30 AM
I've used this chrome plug-in (http://www.fbpurity.com/) for quite awhile. No ads, no trending topics and the option to sort newsfeed by "unread stories." Makes FB infinitely more tolerable.

Halo Infinity
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
But on the other hand, Facebook has become less personable as someone mentioned above. Gone are the days of your friends updating their status on how they feel or showing off something they bought etc. Now it's moreso people just sharing news links and articles and silly memes and stuff. People rarely ever post stuff about themselves anymore, which is basically what Facebook was originally designed for. It somehow morphed into an RRS feed of random news.
I actually still enjoy posting videos and pictures, but I also still see what you mean. It was a lot harder than I thought to find actual conversations on Facebook sometimes, but at the same time I actually also get it, since some people are also not into sharing videos and pictures at all, or would rather talk in real life or on the phone. And like any other social media site, it seemed to have slowed down over the years, but it sure is holding up quite well.

I know I'm late in my response, but it also hasn't changed that much to be at all. Aside from that, I pretty much completely agree with everything else you said. :)

WorzelG
01-09-2016, 06:57 AM
I'm not sure what my worst type of Facebook post is, people posting needy status updates saying only those who reply and copy/paste this to their status are real friends or care about this or that disease, people posting vague updates about something going wrong trying to get sympathy, or divorcing couples posting passive aggressive dirty laundry airing posts.

GibbonBlack
01-09-2016, 07:08 AM
people posting vague updates about something going wrong trying to get sympathy

I don't want to talk about it

Halo Infinity
01-09-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure what my worst type of Facebook post is, people posting needy status updates saying only those who reply and copy/paste this to their status are real friends or care about this or that disease, people posting vague updates about something going wrong trying to get sympathy, or divorcing couples posting passive aggressive dirty laundry airing posts.
I've noticed that vague booking is also a way for some people to vent without over sharing, which is also a serious and terrible problem when it comes to communicating on the Internet. I can't say that I blame them for that though, especially as somebody that got sincerity confused with over sharing, but at the same time, I can certainly understand why privacy and discretion are much better and practical options, especially if the post is going in a very personal and/or negative direction/territory. Sometimes vague booking also seems to be just an attempt to gain attention even if nothing remotely important, exciting or bad is actually happening.

I also seem to still find myself lurking on the sidelines most of the time in social media though, but sometimes get involved in some conversations when I actually have something to say, even if it's just to humor whoever it is that I'm speaking to.

And boy, oh boy did I ever learn that typing isn't always a crutch/shortcut in getting to know people, nor should it be. It would've certainly saved me a lot of trouble, and I suppose that was the case with me because I got far too accustomed to relying on the Internet, specifically social media and forums to socialize since the early 2000s. This also includes e-mail and instant messaging.

I don't want to talk about it
Me neither. :p

kel
01-26-2016, 08:59 PM
edit: nevermind.

kel
01-26-2016, 11:16 PM
ugh. i tried! come on!

kel
01-26-2016, 11:34 PM
edit: nope.

ldopa
01-27-2016, 12:37 AM
facebook is no bueno.

kel
01-27-2016, 06:16 AM
facebook is no bueno.
yeah, i deactivated it again. so many of my *friends* are fans of donald trump. made me want to barf.

kel
01-29-2016, 07:39 PM
edit: nuh uh.

aggroculture
02-04-2016, 12:48 PM
FB has become, of all things, a pop-up hell. It's 2016: why does the internet still have pop-ups and why don't browsers have the ability to ban them completely?

Also, that "Trending" box, on the right, filled in with old news stories? What's that about?

Seed_0
02-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I guess there is a forum for everything. Why doesn't Facebook have a option for dislike?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=116765938709145&set=a.106606199725119.1073741828.100011272174448&type=3&theater

bruised
04-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know how to block game invites? I used to know, but I can't figure it out now.

Figured it out.

ManBurning
02-09-2018, 01:36 AM
reason #1000 to get off Facebook. Filled with neanderthals.

“Real people” stay off of FB. I guess they can be good for a laugh here and there, and some good causes come out of it from time to time.

i hate social media, it’s stupid. And it helped kill off forums.

End rant, sorry to go OT.

EDIT: don’t take my “real people” comment seriously- it’s meant for asses that replied like that on FB, and not FB users in general.

You've got nothing to apologize for. I don't have a Facebook nor a Twitter account. I just don't have a need for it.

i deactivated my account a few weeks ago and my stress levels have gone down significantly.

We'd probably get our asses kicked sky high to kingdom come if we kept this conversation up in the 2018 tour thread, so I'm replying here, lol...

But I agree, I deleted my facebook nearly 2 years ago, at least I deleted the one where all my "friends" were. I actually then created a New/Fake one just to like/follow certain pages of news. I use it for a new feed now, and it's changed my life so much.

No longer do I see photos of food, or toddlers on swings, or dogs playing fetch or stupid memes or basically anything you would find in the "Random Stupidity" section of these forums. It got to the point where it wasn't even being used how it was originally intended when FB first back in 2007-2008. Now, it's just filled with complete garbage that tests your intellect level most of the time.

Like I said, I cut it down to follow news feeds only, and even that is hard, because sometimes I open the comments sections and I KNOW better. I always find myself in complete bafflement of some of the things being said/argued on. That being said, Facebook is a useful tool is used as a news feed and not as a platform for sharing opinions on the internet.

But yeah, the year I "cancelled" my "real" account, my life had improved 10-fold. I deleted the app on my phone. I made sure I never logged onto my "fake/news feed" one on my cell and only check it at home. It's a whole new world out where when you're not out there glued to your phone. I use my phone now for texting, checking the weather and maybe loading up ETS while I'm in transit, but other than that... no social media. Maynard would be proud. I managed to "Put the silicone down and disconnect" as he would say hahahahahaha.

But no, it's amazing when you finally do. Like, you pay attention to your surroundings more. You see things you otherwise would have missed. It's awesome.

bobbie solo
02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Might wanna fuck around with Instagram. It isn't nearly as infested with the stupidity you listed above unless you let it. I have alot of fun on IG.

ManBurning
02-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Might wanna fuck around with Instagram. It isn't nearly as invested with the stupidity you listed above unless you let it. I have alot of fun on IG.

Been seriously considering getting an instagram account for a while now. I need a new phone first though, the phone I have doesn't support the app, lol...

Amaro
02-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Been seriously considering getting an instagram account for a while now. I need a new phone first though, the phone I have doesn't support the app, lol...

lol Bro, IG all the way... Picture books are always better than drama novels.

Sister Midnight
02-09-2018, 05:22 PM
I don't have any social media, but Facebook is the worst. At my former job, one of the women that worked in the office was addicted to Facebook. She did all the cliche annoying facebook activities posting pictures of food, and worse yet it would be high in calories and carbs food then the next day she would complain about why her diet isn't working. Pictures of her kids doing mundane activities and acting like they are splitting the atom, but the absolute worst was in face to face conversations with her she would say things like "LOL" she wouldn't say "Laugh out loud" (which would be bad enough) she would say "LOL". Even worse then that was when she would say "OMG" not "Oh my God" but "OMG" it makes my skin crawl just talking about it. Spending five minutes with her would give anybody reason to delete all social media accounts.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-09-2018, 07:16 PM

I second this. You can get much more out of IG compared to the other outlets that are out there. Especially if you're into video editing or photography.

allegro
02-09-2018, 08:11 PM
IG is the only social media app on my phone, and I mostly follow photography accounts and cat rescue people and chefs.

Louie_Cypher
02-09-2018, 09:12 PM
curious anyone ever successfully delete an account?
-Louie

Amaro
02-09-2018, 09:32 PM
curious anyone ever successfully delete an account?
-Louie

Yes. I forget the exact path to the promise land, but once you find the door, there’s a week or two-week waiting period where it opens up for you to walk through, and nothing to look back on. October 2015 I deactivated, and then permanently deleted shortly after (once I realized the difference). Recently, I tried to search for me and anything related to me on there... As far as I or anyone casual would be able to search, it would seem my tracks are all gone.

I’m actually in the process of remaking a fake FB account, solely to follow businesses and music pages. The first fake one I made just the other month (entirely from a desktop, mind you) somehow started to integrate contacts I knew in the friend suggestions. I got so pissed. Maybe because I got the FB app on my phone and accessed the account??? This time I’m starting from the most leftfield e-mail address, location, etc. We’ll see how it goes.

allegro
02-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Yes. I forget the exact path to the promise land, but once you find the door, there’s a week or two-week waiting period where it opens up for you to walk through. It’s been since October 2015 I deactivated, and then permanently deleted. Recently, I tried to search for me and anything related to me on there... As far as I or anyone casual would be able to search, it would seem my tracks are all gone.

I’m actually in the process of remaking a fake FB account, solely to follow businesses and music pages. The first fake one I made just the other month (entirely from a desktop, mind you) somehow started to integrate contacts I knew in the friend suggestions. I got so pissed. This time I’m starting from the most leftfield e-mail address, location, etc. We’ll see how it goes.
Yeah it’s looking at the contacts in your cache, it’s pretty hard to completely delete all traces of a prior FB account. What pisses me off is when it suggests my BOSS as a friend and I’m trying REAL hard to be incognito and I’m friends with a only a few select relatives or friends. But it’s looking at my frigging contacts on my computer and I didn’t ever agree that it could do that. It truly is a marketing and spying cesspool. But certain people I know don’t use anything else.

Anyway here’s a good link to delete an account, but I’ve deleted an account and found it never “really” deleted it, the info is stashed somewhere in their system (or on mine).

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476574,00.asp

ManBurning
02-10-2018, 01:29 AM
Yes. I forget the exact path to the promise land, but once you find the door, there’s a week or two-week waiting period where it opens up for you to walk through, and nothing to look back on. October 2015 I deactivated, and then permanently deleted shortly after (once I realized the difference). Recently, I tried to search for me and anything related to me on there... As far as I or anyone casual would be able to search, it would seem my tracks are all gone.

I’m actually in the process of remaking a fake FB account, solely to follow businesses and music pages. The first fake one I made just the other month (entirely from a desktop, mind you) somehow started to integrate contacts I knew in the friend suggestions. I got so pissed. Maybe because I got the FB app on my phone and accessed the account??? This time I’m starting from the most leftfield e-mail address, location, etc. We’ll see how it goes.

As explained above, this is exactly what I did. Used a different e-mail address and set it so I lived in a different city than where I am originally from. It never suggests anyone from my "former/real" Facebook account.

I use it for the exact intentions you mentioned, just to follow news from sites and music etc.
As long as you stay away from opening up and reading those comments, you're golden.

Sister Midnight
02-10-2018, 01:29 AM
IG is the only social media app on my phone, and I mostly follow photography accounts and cat rescue people and chefs.

Cat rescue YES!!!! I love that.

allegro
02-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Cat rescue YES!!!! I love that.

Beth Stern (Howard's wife) is like the IG queen of feline rescue: https://www.instagram.com/bethostern/

I also *love* Paul the Cat Guy: https://www.instagram.com/paulthecatguy/

Also NYC Animal Rescue Girls: https://www.instagram.com/nycanimalrescuegirls/

Also Puppy Kitty NYC / LI https://www.instagram.com/puppykittynycity

And about 50 other ones.

I will sometimes get a notification from Amazon that my package has been delivered and I'll look and nothing is there and then I'll realize that I sent a Wish List item to one of the rescue organizations, DUH.

edit: I followed some peoples' leads, here, and deleted my FB account. I have IG if they need me.

virushopper
02-10-2018, 06:10 PM
For the past several months I have been debating on whether to close my account or not. The only reason I never pulled the trigger is I am not entirely sure what is holding me back. Maybe I feel like I am turning my back on certain people? I don't know. I have stopped reading the site when I notice the pattern of items my friends post. I am weird. Heh.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-10-2018, 07:42 PM
There were so many times that I wanted to "Delete" my facebook account, but then realized I have so many contacts that I stay in touch with on a daily basis just on there. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is at this point. I had so many photos on my account and realized I don't need every other moment of my life there along with tons of "Friends" that I had to go and sweep out at one point. Facebook has become so toxic and an outlet for many people to showoff their Facebook life compared to their actual life... especially people that you know personally that you can call out are full of shit 99% of the time. I applaud the friends that I have that have never been on the book and have no interest in doing so. As long as Facebook has been out, it still is unfathomable to me the shit that people post on there as far as telling the entire world what is going on in your life and looking for so much approval.

I also fall in line with the media and news aspects about it as well. If you really want a blast from the past though, going on your old Myspace account can be utterly hilarious seeing all the old and forgotten photos that are on there.

ManBurning
02-10-2018, 10:38 PM
There were so many times that I wanted to "Delete" my facebook account, but then realized I have so many contacts that I stay in touch with on a daily basis just on there. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is at this point. I had so many photos on my account and realized I don't need every other moment of my life there along with tons of "Friends" that I had to go and sweep out at one point. Facebook has become so toxic and an outlet for many people to showoff their Facebook life compared to their actual life... especially people that you know personally that you can call out are full of shit 99% of the time. I applaud the friends that I have that have never been on the book and have no interest in doing so. As long as Facebook has been out, it still is unfathomable to me the shit that people post on there as far as telling the entire world what is going on in your life and looking for so much approval.

I also fall in line with the media and news aspects about it as well. If you really want a blast from the past though, going on your old Myspace account can be utterly hilarious seeing all the old and forgotten photos that are on there.

I'm actually in a similar boat as you in regards to not wanting to cut people off by deleting it and looking like I've turned my back on them, but a little worse.

I don't live in the same city as I grew up in. So 85% of my contacts were from where I came from. I moved away in 2006, right when facebook was coming out, it was a great tool too keep in touch with all these people. I decided to deactivate it in January 2016. Then I was planning a summer trip, with a stop in my old city on the way, so I temporarily re-acrivated it just to message people/make plans. The second I came home from my trip, I de-activated it again and have not been back on since. I honestly don't want to go back either, but there are people on there that it was my only way of contacting them.

I only ever see these people once every 2-3 years at most. Just not feasible for me to be flying back and forth like that all the time. My girlfriend and I were going to stop off there to see people on the way back from our trip to Europe this summer. I almost want to not re-activate it and just kinda show up and see if I can track these people down without the help of facebook. That'll prove that I don't need it anymore and can finally press the "delete" button once and for all.

The one thing I do miss about facebook though, is the ability to create a party/event/chain message with multiple people and just plan an event like that in 1 shot. It's harder now having to message everyone individually giving them invites. Just a minor inconvenience I guess.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-10-2018, 11:01 PM
I'm actually in a similar boat as you in regards to not wanting to cut people off by deleting it and looking like I've turned my back on them, but a little worse.

I don't live in the same city as I grew up in. So 85% of my contacts were from where I came from. I moved away in 2006, right when facebook was coming out, it was a great tool too keep in touch with all these people. I decided to deactivate it in January 2016. Then I was planning a summer trip, with a stop in my old city on the way, so I temporarily re-acrivated it just to message people/make plans. The second I came home from my trip, I de-activated it again and have not been back on since. I honestly don't want to go back either, but there are people on there that it was my only way of contacting them.

I only ever see these people once every 2-3 years at most. Just not feasible for me to be flying back and forth like that all the time. My girlfriend and I were going to stop off there to see people on the way back from our trip to Europe this summer. I almost want to not re-activate it and just kinda show up and see if I can track these people down without the help of facebook. That'll prove that I don't need it anymore and can finally press the "delete" button once and for all.

The one thing I do miss about facebook though, is the ability to create a party/event/chain message with multiple people and just plan an event like that in 1 shot. It's harder now having to message everyone individually giving them invites. Just a minor inconvenience I guess.

Yes! This exactly. I like your viewpoint on having to find them the old fashioned way. Thinking back now, I think I deactivated it once back in 2012, but I could be wrong on the date. I do this at work all the time with trying to find addresses the old school way with a map in hand, and nothing else since we all rely on our GPS and smartphones for everything these days. It feels good to go back to those roots and not have to use any means of modern media or what have you, so it is a bit refreshing to hear someone else say this. I have friends in a bunch of different countries, and have been in contact or years, so this outlet is definitely the easiest way to go at this point. I even thought of getting rid of my main account and just adding the people that I keep my account for to begin with.

There have been a lot of decisions that the book has made that has made me tilt my head on many occasions, and one is by far the party chat that you spoke of above. Funny, I completely forgot that this was even an option until you brought it up. Kind of odd that they are considering adding a dislike button at this point in the game for them... When you compare Facebook next to the other means of contacting people in the past (AIM, AOL, Myspace, etc...) it really is crazy how outlets like what we used to have just faded into mediocrity and aren't even relevant anymore, and how nothing really compares to Facebook as far as keeping in touch at this point.

Shit, remember when they used to let you post your top 5 favorite movies on your wall? Me and my friend went to post out favorite Nicolas Cage movies after having an hilarious conversation about him and realized the option was gone... we were severely disappointed.

Sister Midnight
02-11-2018, 02:47 AM
Beth Stern (Howard's wife) is like the IG queen of feline rescue: https://www.instagram.com/bethostern/

I also *love* Paul the Cat Guy: https://www.instagram.com/paulthecatguy/

Also NYC Animal Rescue Girls: https://www.instagram.com/nycanimalrescuegirls/

Also Puppy Kitty NYC / LI https://www.instagram.com/puppykittynycity

And about 50 other ones.

I will sometimes get a notification from Amazon that my package has been delivered and I'll look and nothing is there and then I'll realize that I sent a Wish List item to one of the rescue organizations, DUH.

edit: I followed some peoples' leads, here, and deleted my FB account. I have IG if they need me.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, today has been absolutely crazy, I lost my job today but that is whole other story for another thread and I haven't even processed that yet. My two cats are both rescues and they have become the best pets ever. One is a tabby and I got her when she was 1 year old she lived with a foster family but never really had a home, she adjusted really easy into her new living situation with me. The other cat was two years old when I got her she is a himalayan seal point cat and looks exactly Mr Jinx from Meet the Parents. She did not adjust very well at all when I first got her Jez short for Jezebel, I believe she was abused by her previous owner, which makes me sick to think about it, but for three months straight I worked very hard with her to make her feel stable and comfortable in a very non threatening environment. Within six months she became a completely different cat, the lady I got her from came to visit after six months and couldn't believe the improvement in Jez. She asked me what I did, I said they get fed two times a day once in the morning and once at night, there is always dry food available all day long. I brushed their hair two times a day after meal time and they would get treats which Jez loved and she would then look forward to the hair brushing. The tabby didn't need it because she has short hair but she wanted to be part of the hair brushing ceremony. I would then play with them for a half hour and it was all done by a consistent daily routine which cats seem to really respond to and it worked. Jez has become one of the greatest pets I ever had she lets me carry her around like a baby and follows me around the house. They both are great pets, they didn't get along at first but now they are the best of friends. I strongly recommend getting rescue animals.

Okay I have no intention on derailing this thread about facebook and social media, but I had to tell you my rescue story.

I have never really had a lot of use for facebook or any social media (I may have to use linkedin now) I am very much an introvert, so reaching out to people is really not my thing. I stay home and write music and that is my passion, I enjoy doing that and I do it constantly, social media may be a necessary evil when it comes time to release the music. However I have no desire to post personal information about myself on any social media accounts for all to see.

To me Facebook seems like an unrelenting albatross of rituals that must be performed daily in order to keep the account current. Who has the time I certainly don't, it takes away from writing.
I have never done Twitter or Instagram, I considered a Twitter account just to fuck with Trump and say awful horrendous shit to him until the secret service knocks on my door but then common sense kicked in and I decided not to bother.

As far as NIN goes I don't need social media to know when NIN is playing in my neck of the woods nin.com sends me emails about shows and new releases which is all I really need and all that information can also be found right here at ETS.

I don't need Facebook or social media at this moment in time and it doesn't need me either.

(I sent out about 50 resumes today)

Substance242
02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
I have to stay, to be visible to my future wife :-) and promote my future album, but right after I'm gone (circa 2038).

Haysey_Draws
02-12-2018, 05:37 AM
I haven't used Facebook for years now, i think it was blocked as a precaution as i'd just built a PC and tried logging on through it, but FB thought i wasn't using my usual computer and blocked it...i could unlock it but i just can't be bothered.

That and, pretty much every friend i've ever had that were on it basically moved on with their lives and stopped talking to me well before i stopped using it. I travel down to see my family a few times a year so i don't really have a reason to use it. It's depressing but it would probably be worse if i still used it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Funny, even Jim Carrey is urging people to delete their accounts because apparently Facebook profited off of Russian interference. Interesting nonetheless.

Sister Midnight
02-13-2018, 02:19 PM
There is all this stuff going on in the news today about Facebook being weaponized by Russian influence with regards to the election and they are worried about the midterms. Maybe it is me, but I would never rely on Facebook as a news outlet, I am definitely not a fan of Facebook but I wouldn't trust how news gets passed around on that site.

The only thing that has ever intrigued me about facebook was the coming age storyline depicted in the movie The Social Network, Facebook for me anyways as a site is useless.

Vertigo
02-13-2018, 02:56 PM
I thought they were supposed to highlight which articles people had interacted with in the past that were propaganda - wasn't this due to launch in December? Haven't seen the slightest hint of it.

Sister Midnight
02-13-2018, 03:23 PM
I thought they were supposed to highlight which articles people had interacted with in the past that were propaganda - wasn't this due to launch in December? Haven't seen the slightest hint of it.

I think Zuckerberg really needs to take this seriously because they are talking government regulation with regards to Facebook, and that can never be good.

Vertigo
02-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah... it's been 15 months since the election now, and at least one person I know had been spamming propaganda links for about a year before that. Silicon valley prides itself on swift movement and inventive solutions - what's taking them so long to do anything? Anything?

Meanwhile Germany is ruling that Facebook's acquisition of personal data is illegal, quite a lot of people are leaving it, and governments around the world seem to be sharpening their forks for the big internet companies (rightly so).

But personally... although I don't like the way Facebook stores data and pushes ads, and 90% of the site's updates have always seemed to make it a little worse, it's still my social media of choice. The others - Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat - all basically offer a more limited form of something that's already in Facebook, and with smaller userbases. I do still like to see what's going on in the heads of people I know, even if like a third of them turn out to be closet arseholes. Some public figures I follow on there churn out great stuff regularly (palaeontologist Thomas R Holtz has basically single-handedly kept me on Facebook), and the site's still a useful one-stop-shop for following the latest updates from artists and TV shows that I like.

Got to admit though, increasingly few of my friends actively use it now.

Substance242
04-19-2018, 04:26 PM
I have to stay, to be visible to my future wife :-) and promote my future album, but right after I'm gone (circa 2038).

Update: Gave up, I left (again). Not because some recent issues with privacy, that's nothing new and for example I had always disabled apps completely, never installed it on phone, always removed EXIF from uploaded images and such, I just had enough of that shit. I also left Twitter, Linked In and some local things, and I would leave also ETS if there was a way. No, I am not asking for deletion. :-) And it was kinda fun deleting all photos and posts one by one (I know they are not really deleted, but I enjoyed it... and I made takeout backup first, hehe).

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-11-2021, 06:23 AM
Protect Keanu Reeves at all costs...

https://twitter.com/dz/status/1469439770543771650?t=QfXNWq5hS8kvXbrevmZDgQ&s=19