PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy

Pages : [1] 2 3

Piko
01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Figured since XIII-2 is about to come out, why not start a thread. The demo hit yesterday. Anyone play it? Pretty different. Seems like something I might like. Might have to play it again though to really get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. Have yet to finish XIII, but I have a pretty good idea of what happened.

liquidcalm
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm sure I replied to this... oh well.. here we go again..

Yeah. I'm not sure about XIII-2 from the demo... I still love the combat, I loved it in 13, once I was over the 20 hour hump that is the start of the game. While I did not enjoy the characters or the story (there was far more depth to the world, but I had to read endless pages of text to find it...) once it hit that stride on Gran Pulse I was left wondering why it couldn't have all been like that.

I will say 13 was the first FF game I've actually beaten in a long time, I think the last one was 8. So the streamlined approach did work in some respects. If they can marry that to a story I actually care about they will be onto something. From what I've seen from trailers etc I dunno.. it looks like more of the same...

Piko
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Seems like they refined it ALOT. The animation when switching paradigms would sometimes throw me off, so thankfully they fixed that. It's pretty different. Iffy about the story though. But I'm hearing good things about it. So I'm optimistic. Some people are going as far as to say they like it more than XIII. And judging from the trailers, is that the Versus XIII world? Maybe it was Gran Pulse before the Pulse that we knew it in XIII?

darktemplar007
01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Somewhat related, does anyone know of any other games that use growth systems like X's Sphere Grid or XII's License Board? I loved both of those systems so very much.

I also feel I'm in the minority, but XII's combat system is probably my favorite RPG combat system ever in a game.

xmd 5a
01-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I also feel I'm in the minority, but XII's combat system is probably my favorite RPG combat system ever in a game.

Completely agree. XII is the absolute best JRPG of the past decade or so. I love everything about that game so much.

As for similarities, tricky one. IIRC Rogue Galaxy has a mechanic that is somewhat similar to the License Board. The Digital Devil Saga games use a very Sphere Grid-esque progression system.

-

I enjoyed XIII a fair bit initially, but got kind of burned out toward the end and never finished it. I got stuck on Barthandelus II and ragequit when he used Doom after a 30 minute fight that I was totally going to win GRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Didn't have any motivation to continue after that. Traded the game in not long after and haven't looked back since. I might pick it back up with XIII-2 when the latter goes down in price a bit.

Piko
01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
XII is probably my least favorite. Gameplay was great. The story and lack thereof is what ruined it for me. And aside from Balthier, the characters were very dull. With XIII, I think they tried real hard to make sure that the story progressed
more often than XII. XII was "run through these places, then these places, and a brief and vague cutscene".

carpenoctem
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
If that's the case then they just went overboard trying to compensate for what XII lacked. XIII was nothing but long cutscenes and story. That is why, ultimately, XII is my favorite. It's the most fun I've ever had playing an RPG. The simple joy of seeing the words "Level Up!" in gold spinning around my characters' heads was enough to goad me into hours of EXP grinding, which was way easier and more fun with the gambit system. And the idea of selling loot gained from monsters to get money was better than monsters randomly dropping Gil. Also, the world was really immersive, and you could pretty much walk everywhere because it was all linked together, except for that island city in the sky.

I was so disappointed by XIII that for the first time ever, I'm not at all excited for a new Final Fantasy game. It tarnished the brand (not to mention XIV, which I've heard was far worse). I'll wait a while and read what others think about XIII-2 before I try it out.

Piko
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't count their MMO's. They made two and failed both times. Even moreso with XIV. How they ended up to the point of giving them numerals is beyond me. But with XII, I guess I need a story to help keep me going, which was almost nonexistent. I have no problems grinding when I have to. But, give me something to work towards. XIII, as faulty as it was, managed to fill that void that XII left for me. And still to this very day, I've yet to finish it.

liquidcalm
01-14-2012, 04:18 PM
But, give me something to work towards. XIII, as faulty as it was, managed to fill that void that XII left for me.

I agree with this, I think at the very least 13's pace, despite being stupidly linear for the first 2/3s of the game, kept me going, hence why above, I mentioned its the first one I've finished for years. 12 was such a grind I just gave up as I forgot what I was doing and just got bored.

I do disagree that FFXI was a failure, its still one of the biggest mmo's in Japan and has been active for years, not WoW huge, but big enough to sustain itself and still be worth the investment, if an mmo is your thing of course. I tried it and hated it, like I hate every other mmo I've played (with the exception of Planetside..) , not for me I guess..

No argument that XIV is a massive failure though. I hope the relaunch later this year does something magical, as at the very least it looked pretty.

Piko
01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I used to play MMO's. XI being my first. I wanted to like it, but after about a month, I shelved it. Haven't bothered with XIV and probably never will.

Hula
01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
13's pace, despite being stupidly linear for the first 2/3s of the game

Wait... It stops being linear for 1/3 of the game??? I might have to take it up again just to see this, because I got pretty damn sick of the cutscene>running>battle>repeat pattern that played over and over again by the time I got to Pulse.

Piko
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
I thought it opened up a lot with Gran Pulse. Unfortunately, that was the only real "open" part.

RocketScience
01-15-2012, 06:09 AM
I don't know, the part of 13 I've played so far has been incredibly linear. Everything more or less seems to just straight forward. Also, the lack of people in the game really throws me off. It usually goes that you wander about forever and suddenly there's a group of 5 people all clumped together to show you that there's somewhat of a population there. Could also only be for the fact that I haven't progressed much in the game.

As for XIII-2, I'm actually more looking forward to Versus, that game looks proper badass and seems to have more depth to it than 13 did. I'll probably end up buying XIII-2 anyway just for the fuck of it.

liquidcalm
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Wait... It stops being linear for 1/3 of the game??? I might have to take it up again just to see this, because I got pretty damn sick of the cutscene>running>battle>repeat pattern that played over and over again by the time I got to Pulse.

Once you run about Pulse for a bit it just goes *bam.. explore!* For a while anyway. It is where all the missions are, lots of monsters to hunt (actually thats what most of the missions are anyway), secrets to find, hidden items etc etc.. Gives you a chance to grow your characters, level up and explore the combat system... Then you reach the end and you are thrown back down corridors. You can return once you beat the game though. In that section you learn a lot more about the world just by being there, rather than having everything hidden away in a readme file. I was just left thinking "why couldn't it all be like this?"

owinn
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm about three quarters of the way through XIII-2 and this game, apart from some frame rate issues, is better than any FF game after IX, by a long chalk. That and Caius is a great antagonist, certainly more layered than anything else in the last decade of FF games... even voiced by Liam O'Brien who is like anime voice-over royalty. I went as far recently as to say this is the time travelling JRPG I've been waiting for since Chrono Trigger and while it's nowhere near the masterpiece that game is it's a sure step in the right direction. Really, really like it a lot.

Hula
02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Once you run about Pulse for a bit it just goes *bam.. explore!* For a while anyway. It is where all the missions are, lots of monsters to hunt (actually thats what most of the missions are anyway), secrets to find, hidden items etc etc.. Gives you a chance to grow your characters, level up and explore the combat system... Then you reach the end and you are thrown back down corridors. You can return once you beat the game though. In that section you learn a lot more about the world just by being there, rather than having everything hidden away in a readme file. I was just left thinking "why couldn't it all be like this?"

This (and the fact that XIII-2 is supposed to fix what went wrong with XIII) makes me a little more willing to give it a try. I'd heard that the game let you go back, which intrigued me considering the linearity of the game as a whole. I just don't understand how Squeenix could've got it so wrong...

owinn
02-06-2012, 03:23 AM
This (and the fact that XIII-2 is supposed to fix what went wrong with XIII) makes me a little more willing to give it a try. I'd heard that the game let you go back, which intrigued me considering the linearity of the game as a whole. I just don't understand how Squeenix could've got it so wrong...

Yeah it does open up at that point but to be frank the side-quests are so fucking hard there's no point exploring Grand Pulse until you've finished the main story, in fact you can't even reach your maximum role levels until after you've finished the story because the last levels of the Crystarium leveling system are locked - this is the sort of stuff that annoyed me about XIII, the upgrade system and shops were also pretty useless throughout the entire story mode, I finished the game without visiting the shop even once.

Piko
02-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Shops were near useless for me. I used them from time to time though. Usually to upgrade my weapons/accessories. I'm liking XIII-2 though. Story's a little out there, but I'm having fun. I'm stuck st the moment, too. Supposed to be collecting graviton cores, but I'm having a hassle getting to where I'm supposed to be going... :/

nvr_mind
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Picked this up today. It's really not too bad. If only the gameplay of XIII was more like this.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
So I am guessing the consensus is that XIII-2 is much better in a lot of ways from XIII? I have read many articles, but I want to get a better impression from a gamers point of view.

Jinsai
02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
So I am guessing the consensus is that XIII-2 is much better in a lot of ways from XIII? I have read many articles, but I want to get a better impression from a gamers point of view.

In the general sense, it's a better RPG, but the presentation is poorer and the plot is COMPLETE nonsense. Also, they seem so eager to open up the linearity in the wrong ways... Sure, you can go anywhere you want, but the compass still points in an obvious direction, and when it doesn't you can get seriously lost. I'm honestly stuck at a point where I just have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to do, and I've never really fallen into that spot in a FF game before. I've also never felt this lost in an open world RPG like The Elder Scrolls. I just don't get what they want me to do.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-22-2012, 04:22 AM
Final Fantasy 7 may be coming to Steam, with a bunch of updates including achievements, online profiles for progress tracking, and something called a "character booster."

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/21/news-an-updated-final-fantasy-vii-may-come-to-steam

Personally, I think that if this is true, it just confirms that we're getting closer and closer to FF7 relaunching/being remade. The fans want it. The developers know how much the fans want it, AND how much money they could make. If they did it right, they could be sitting on a fortune. Not a small one, or a sizable one, but a HUGE fortune. I can see all the reasons why they wouldn't do it, or why it could be a bad idea, but they could still pull it off if they were extremely careful about it.

I don't necessarily jump at any rumor about FF7 being remade, but there's something in the back of my mind that just keeps saying it's coming sooner or later. It would be a pretty pleasant surprise if they'd secretly been working on it for a number of years to get it right, down to the last detail. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

theruiner
06-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm not a huge video gamer (is that what the kids call it?), but I would play the shit out of an FF7 remake.

carpenoctem
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
At this point, after failing so spectacularly with both the Final Fantasy XIII saga (the dreadfully boring XIII, its nonsensical sequel, and the still missing-in-action Versus XIII) and the XIV MMO which irreparably damaged the brand, the only way Square Enix can redeem themselves is to go back and remake VII. If they do that, they'll get all their lapdogs back.

I say this, not unfairly or as a troll, but with tears of deepest regret. XIII broke my heart, and they've been going downhill ever since. But I have hope that it's not too late.

Piko
06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
FFXIII's a mixed bag for people. I enjoyed it. Some didn't. I can understand why people don't like it, but it doesn't bother me. FFXII was the major letdown for me. And FFXIV was/is a gigantic mess. It's really a no-brainer to remake FFVII, but for some reason they don't want the profits... And has there been any word at all lately about Versus? Too much silence can be a horrible thing. Look at metal gear rising...

bgalbraith
06-22-2012, 11:11 PM
I started with FF1 on the NES, and while FFVII was a significant milestone, it hasn't stuck with me the way FFIV and FFVI did. I feel like the SNES was the golden era for Square RPGs -- usually a solid balance between gameplay and story. With FFVII and on they got increasingly obsessed with the story and making elaborate cutscenes, to the point where FFXIII could be considered an interactive movie.

Also, I played both MMOs (XI and XIV), and while they totally fucked up XIV at launch, they have made great strides to make it better and continue to do so. I'm actually looking forward to FFXIV 2.0.

Piko
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
That's what I've been hearing about XIV. But I could only imagine it being too little, too late at this point. If only they had actually finished the game before releasing it, it might've been alright. I played XI as well. Found it real boring. Took forever to get around.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I liked 13 for what little of it I played. I just keep putting it off because I know it's going to be a huuuge undertaking to play through it the way I play (tons of training early on and as maaany side-quests as I can manage), and I won't even touch 13-2 until after I finish that. I'm actually a pretty bare Final Fantasy fan...I love the hell out of 7, 8, and 9, played a good chunk of 10, hated 10-2, skipped 11 and 12...Really, like I said, the games are generally so huge, it's hard to find time to commit to playing all the ones I haven't yet, especially when I keep hearing so many negative things about every other new release.

Bottom line: I want it to happen, I think it could happen, but they really can't afford to take any risks with changing it too much. Trying too hard to modernize it will only damage it, and that's what makes it such a gamble. Do you appeal to the old school and keep the updates minimal, or try to completely change it for the newer generation and risk completely botching the thing? Just gotta find that perfect middle-ground. I don't want the gameplay to be too much like the newer FF styles, because it was fine the way it was. It doesn't need to be changed. Sure, it's a bit dated, but it's not exactly clunky or anything. I've played modern games that handle worse than a lot of PS1 games out there. But who knows, maybe they could work some magic.

It has to be a really daunting task for them, because SO much would ride on them remaking it perfectly, down to the last detail. The criticism would be huge, and the standard that fans would have would be unbelievably high. It'd be intimidating, but not impossible. They'd just have to take their time and tread veeery, very carefully.

Piko
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Honestly, only thing I'd be worried about is whether or they would change the battle system. Should they change it? Leave it as is. Everything else, I'd just recreate without really straying away from the original. Maybe add a couple new things, expand the story some (maybe?). Keep the core elements (materia, etc).

They've been avoiding open worlds since FFX though. So how would they implement side quests (chocobo breeding, knights of the round)? Versus is supposedly to have an airship with actual exploration, so maybe it's possible. I would be difficult, but it's also very possible and highly profitable regardless it sucks or not.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Exactly. They could make a few necessary changes to the look. Battle system was fine. Open world was fine, and considering it would be a remake, it would make sense if they left the open world navigation the way it was. If they tried that in a brand new game, it wouldn't work. I can only imagine that having an open world FF7 would be fucking....MASSIVE...and absolutely beautiful. At least, it could be.

Piko
06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
They don't make open world games anymore... too much work for them I guess. HD and all. I call laziness. Hence the lack of world in XIII.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Hit the nail on the head on that one...

On a related note, I think I'm gonna give XIII another spin this week. I feel like I should finish what I started on XIII before I start working backwards through the other FF games I haven't even played.

Piko
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
In XIII-2, though, they had actually incorporated actual towns. A much, much needed touch that XIII was missing. The story of course was weak, but at least you can back-travel to places. Academia was pretty awesome looking. The graphics lacked, but in terms of gameplay, it might have been slightly better (not counting the monsters joining your party, I hated that).

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I really miss playing any game by this franchise. I'm thinking about getting Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII again. And it's like I sort of just forgot about Final Fantasy, as this is also an old question about the franchise, but was there really that big of a division with the fan-base when it came to Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII? Have there been any other splits since then? If I remembered correctly, there were also very mixed reviews and opinions over Final Fantasy IX too.

I also thought that this song was worth posting here. It only goes up to Final Fantasy X since it was made in 2002.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58184

liquidcalm
10-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I really miss playing any game by this franchise. I'm thinking about getting Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII again. And it's like I sort of just forgot about Final Fantasy, as this is also an old question about the franchise, but was there really that big of a division with the fan-base when it came to Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII? Have there been any other splits since then? If I remembered correctly, there were also very mixed reviews and opinions over Final Fantasy IX too.

I also thought that this song was worth posting here. It only goes up to Final Fantasy X since it was made in 2002.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58184

I don't think, in hindsight there was much division between 6 + 7... other than 7 'betraying' the Nintendo brand, which I'm sure ruffled a few people for no-good reason. 7 brought so many new players and fans that its hard to not at least appreciate for making RPGs one of the biggest genres for a few years. I think 9 was more overlooked than anything else as it launched after the PS2 came out and everyone was playing... Timesplitters? or wanting The Matrix on DVD... But yeah.. I think the big 'splits' were the PS2 era 10, 10-2, 11 and 12.. More than anything thats were the franchise actually became a bit more experimental with the combat systems, the dropping and adding of 'staple' features, and for one thing 11 is an MMO. Then there is the love-it-or-hate-in 13 series.. Maybe we'll look back with a bit of hindsight and cut through the blind fan-hate/love.. I definitely think Squenix has been at least creative with the gameplay mechanics, even if stories and characters have failed to resonate as strongly as they used to.

Piko
10-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I still need to finish VI...

Halo Infinity
10-13-2013, 01:37 PM
It obviously seems just right to post the following URLs here.

http://www.ffshrine.org/ - The home page.

http://forums.ffshrine.org/ - The forums.

Jinsai
01-24-2014, 05:17 PM
well, I really liked the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-3. Too bad the people who didn't like the previous two might not check this out, even though it's a completely different game.

The plot is still silly and mostly nonsensical though.

Piko
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I liked the demo as well. I'll be picking this up, eventually.

hollowed_point
01-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQMG-a5ZdI

I never really got into X-2, but I put in close to 200 hours or more on X. I have always hated that I never got to play the international versions, as the hardest enemies in the game are left out of the NA version, so this is going to be a super fantastic treat for me. Can't wait to fight Penance.

Space Suicide
01-24-2014, 07:51 PM
well, I really liked the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-3. Too bad the people who didn't like the previous two might not check this out, even though it's a completely different game.

The plot is still silly and mostly nonsensical though.

I downloaded it, yet to play it.

I liked the demo as well. I'll be picking this up, eventually.

Same, I have the other XIII games.

liquidcalm
01-25-2014, 03:45 AM
Yeeeeah.. I downloaded it.. but while I thought the battle system had legs... I just sat there thinking 'this really is not for me'... Its a niche game for a niche audience, and I hope it was heap for them to make because its not going to make big waves. I've said it before I stuck with XIII as the story was OK, the characters dull and the the combat great, but I wouldn't do it again.
The little I played of FF14RR actually felt more 'Final Fantasy' than any of the 13 games, I just don't want to worry about the monthly fee right now. I just don't know who they are aiming their games at anymore.. It's like they want to be these huge Uncharted/COD experiences with battle systems tacked on which, for fear of being 'boring' get ridiculously convoluted.. yet appeal try to fans of the series who are now late twenties, 30s and even 40s... It all just a bit messy and confusing..

nvr_mind
01-26-2014, 02:51 AM
I'm really hoping XV saves it. It looks like it could.

Space Suicide
01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
I get why XIII lacks to people but I actually enjoy the characters and world of this portion of the franchise. It's a bit long winded perhaps and sometimes linear but it is fun for me anyways. I just got done with the Lightning Returns demo and the battle system tweaks to a more hack and slash style yet with classic JRPG elements is a nice touch. I enjoyed it. I wanted this game when I made the (XIII) thread months ago and still do but unfortunately, might have to wait a bit to get it due to finances. However, XIII-2 dropped in price quick and I was able to get this about 3 months after its release by getting it on sale for 19.99 at Best Buy:

http://i.imgur.com/vyByPZh.jpg

Piko
01-26-2014, 01:27 PM
I enjoy the XIII games as well. Great story, although, it could get kinda convoluted or vague at the time. The whole thing between Fal Cie and L'cie is pretty messed up, and adds a pretty cool dymamic. Caius' story in XIII-2 was pretty cool to me as well. I might hold off a bit for the new one (financial reasons as well), but I'll definitely be picking the new one up much sooner than later.

In the meantime, I'm replaying the first two of the XIII series.

ManBurning
01-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Interesting seeing this topic here, I just Finsihed Fianl Fantasy 3 (North America SNES version) last night for the first time in about a decade (if not longer). I started a file 2 sundays ago, so it took literally about 2 weeks of on and off place (couple hours a day). I didn't think I had it in me to play and finish an RPG again at my age, but that was fun. I couldn't sit there and play RPG's all day long now, just too busy. But durning the winter I tend to play alot more games, since there isn't a whole lot else to do.

FF 3/6 is probably my favourite of the series. I played everyone all the way up to 10, but then they lost me after that. A few years ago, I attempted to get into the last one that was released for the PS3 and 360... I forget what that one was called, shows how much I paid attention to it... 13? Either way, it was such a drastic departure from the FF games that I knew, I played it for maybe 3-4 hours, and turned around and sold it on craigslist the very next day to get my money back. I blind bought the game on day 1 based on the Final Fantasy name assuming it was be amazing, boy was I wrong.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
I still hate seeing Final Fantasy on an Xbox console. I always enjoyed the XIII world a lot and the story it holds. I really do not understand how reviewers say that the story has been confusing from XIII-2 and so on.. it seems to be very coherent and interesting to me. I actually loved XIII-2.

Space Suicide
01-26-2014, 09:24 PM
I still hate seeing Final Fantasy on an Xbox console. I always enjoyed the XIII world a lot and the story it holds. I really do not understand how reviewers say that the story has been confusing from XIII-2 and so on.. it seems to be very coherent and interesting to me. I actually loved XIII-2.

Sorry my photo riled you up, mate. ;)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Sorry my photo riled you up, mate. ;)

You son of a bitch (Arnold Voice) :D. I have become accustomed to it.. but I refuse to play an FF game on Xbox. When I first played XIII on the box... it just didn't feel right at all. But it was good that more gamers got to play it on another console.

liquidcalm
01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Fair play Squeenix.. this is good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

Shame about that Android remake of 6 eh?

Jinsai
01-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Shame about that Android remake of 6 eh?

If it's anything like the remake of 5, count me out. The look of the character sprites is so awful it actually spoils the game. I don't need to ruin my nostalgic appreciation for FF6 by playing some pastel cheap looking version of it.

xmd 5a
01-30-2014, 05:18 AM
I bought (but still haven't touched...) the 3D remake version of FFIV for my Android phone a while back. Never had the chance to play it when I had a DS, and it seems like there is enough added content to make it worth the buy.

I'm actually looking forward to playing Lightning Returns. FFXIII-2 was highly addictive and re-sold me on the XIII format.

Jinsai
01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm actually looking forward to playing Lightning Returns. FFXIII-2 was highly addictive and re-sold me on the XIII format.

I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed XIII-2, even though I hated the story. I'm hoping this time they just throw out the time travel nonsense and get down to telling an interesting but simple story, since it's pretty apparent that they can't handle the complex/trippy/abstract stuff.

Judging from the demo though, Lightning Returns has the most potential of the XIII games as far as gameplay goes. If it's fleshed out and balanced properly, it could be amazing.

Piko
02-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Debating on whether or not to buy the game next week, or not. Enjoyed the demo though.

Digital Twilight
02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I finished Final Fantasy 8 on steam last night. Nice to revisit it, I hope 9 follows at some point. XIII was pretty poor in my opinion and I have no interest in the new one either.

liquidcalm
02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if 9 turned up as 7 and 8 were both originally released on PC way back, and the steam ports are just versions or those. Not to say it won't though. Tempted to see if I can install 7 with a few of the high res mods that are floating around.. would love to see 8 treated with such care too but I'm not aware of any for that one..

Been playing 6 on the Vita... it must be the 8th or 9th time I've started it.. I alway play for around 15 hours, then forget where i'm going and start again...

Piko
02-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah, this game is going to require multiple playthroughs. Very reliant on side quests, this time around. Some of these quests though (main quest included) are pretty tedious. "Find four numbers on random walls throughout the town". Yeah... I'm already on day 4, and I don't feel like I've really scratched the surface with the main story, and probably won't this time around.

Jinsai
02-12-2014, 10:45 PM
I just picked up my copy of 13-3, but my expectations have been significantly lowered by some of the reviews I've been seeing. The general consensus seems to be that the plot is more convoluted gibberish, and the timer is a bummer.

I've been really apprehensive about the clock/timer aspect. Part of what I like about rpgs is the freedom to explore. The idea of throwing a Dead Rising 2 style clock on an RPG just seems like a terrible idea.

Piko
02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
It's not the clock that's bothering me. It's the tedious quests and constant backtracking, while being timed, that's annoying me. As for the story, so far, it seems almost nonexistent.

Space Suicide
02-13-2014, 09:04 AM
I knew about the timer clock but hearing how it cuts your playtime endeavors down makes it a shittier addition, not looking forward to it when I do buy it.

Piko
02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
My only problem with it was only because of certain quests. Other than that, it's alright. Plus, there's an ability you get to stop time for a few minutes, which comes very helpful.

Also, I've been using the Cloud schema. Very OP.

Jinsai
02-15-2014, 04:02 PM
As for the story, so far, it seems almost nonexistent.

That's a nice way to put it...

This game has, hands down, the stupidest premise I've ever encountered. It's shockingly bad.

So... Some god (who the characters actually refer to as "god") named Benevelszlsalasdfkjasdflkj has chosen Lightning to run around and save some souls so that they can be transported to the new world after he wipes out the old one within an arbitrary time period. If she pulls it off and does enough soul-saving within that time limit, he'll resurrect her dead sister.

That's bafflingly awful. It's like L Ron Hubbard fan fiction. I might just put this on the shelf and wait for South Park and Dark Souls 2 to come out.

Piko
02-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Pretty much, heh. The game is growing on me some. My thoughts on the story are mostly the same. If it counts for anything, it's kind of episodic. Five main missions that kind of all go their own ways. That's how I'm looking at it at least.

A lot of talk on how you're The Savior of God, etc. By a certain point, I'm thinking, "alright, got it...".

gameplay-wise, it takes a lot of getting used to. Think I've finally started getting the hang of it. spamming the Chronostasis is a must.

And if you struggle, and run through so many days while trying to figure out what to do, goodluck progressing.

Wretchedest
02-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Im at the end of Bravely Default. The last boss is such bullshit.... A lot of the game is bullshit. Dont play it.

Piko
02-16-2014, 04:52 PM
I think I might have been a tad bit harsh on this one. Yeah, the story still lacks. Battle system is still awesome though. But, it must not be that bad of a game, considering, I've been playing it almost nonstop over the weekend.

Edit

Don't think I'm gonna finish this one (for now). Hit brick wall at a particular boss fight. Been doing side missions to "level up", but it still isn't doing any good. I hate to bail on it, but it's getting real frustrating. On the brightside, I think I finally understand what Chaos is...

Off to play FFIX!

Thiah
03-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm on the extra day on Lightning Returns about to attempt that dungeon thingy. I like this game because I'm a sucker for Lightning even though she has the personality of a stone but to reiterate what others have said: yeah the story is amazingly silly. I have the other XIII games and have noticed I've had to pay more attention to the technical details of my schemata to beat certain bosses/creatures which I guess is a good thing because I didn't really bother that much with it in the others which I guess makes it a little bit harder for me personally. Doesn't look too hard to platinum either.

bgalbraith
08-25-2014, 10:38 AM
So Theatrhythm Curtain Call comes out soon. As part of SE's promotion, they ran a contest to have fans upload a performance of their arrangement of the main theme from Final Fantasy. I decided this would be a fun thing to do, so here's my video entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i501UyzsIs8. Please excuse the poor video quality, I made it in a hurry with a crappy webcam.

Wretchedest
08-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Where did you get the tonberry?

bgalbraith
08-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Where did you get the tonberry?

Got it when FFX came out, so I've had it for awhile. I forget exactly where I got it from back then, but you can get them easily enough from Amazon and other places now. Those are all right-handed, however, whereas mine is left-handed for some reason.

The Doctor
08-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Im at the end of Bravely Default. The last boss is such bullshit.... A lot of the game is bullshit. Dont play it.

The first half of the game is the best, most engaging old-school style JRPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics. The 2nd half...UGH. I'm in chapter 7 or 8, around level 80ish, and those group boss fights are killer. It's all so repetitious. I've pretty much all but abandoned it by now...which is a shame since I loved the first half so much.

Seems like the only good form of the series or Squeenix live on in the 3DS/DS and to smaller extent the PSP. I loved playing the remakes of FF III and IV on the DS. Well, except for the fact that I got to final boss in FFIII and it creamed me, then I read online I need x,y, and z jobs to really beat him, which are 3 classes I never bothered to level up, so to beat it I would need at least another 10-20 hours of grinding. So I said fuck it and put it away and never touched it again. FFVI Advanced was fantastic. But, FFVI is still my favorite game in the entire series and I don't think they've ever come close to matching the epic depth, scope, and character development they achieved in that 16bit sprite-based game. Have all the polygons you want, but a good story, characters, and addicting gameplay are what makes a game.

The console Final Fantasy games lost me a long time ago. I liked X, but don't do MMORPG so no XI or XIV, and I tried playing XIII, but it was just...boring. It was on rails, none of the characters were particularly compelling, and the story was a jumbled mess. It's a shame though, since there's three games of that world.

spiralout
09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COZ4VDy5D0A

Trailer has been out for a few days now. It has won me over, I'm buying this. Haven't really gotten into a Final Fantasy since X. I played XIII but never beat it.

nvr_mind
09-24-2014, 06:55 AM
I'm so fucking excited for this. Last one for me was XII. I moved it and wish they'd do more with Balthier who was my favorite character in a while. I wanted to like XIII but after XIII-2 I have finally accepted that it fucking blows.

Millionaire
09-24-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm looking forward to this as well. I've always wanted to see real-time combat in a FF game, and it looks to be done well in what they showed. I'm interested in the open-world aspect: maybe it will be a bigger version of how it was done in 12. Also, the character designs don't seem to be very over-the-top and androgynous, so thats a plus for me.

Dr Channard
11-01-2014, 08:59 PM
I wish I could still love this franchise as much as I did in the 90’s. Final Fantasy X began my steady march over the last 13 years to total disenchantment with the series. There has been nothing since the merger between Square and Enix that I care much about. Oh well, I’ll always have the good memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXNQskSh3c

gorast
11-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Is it worth it to buy the XIII trilogy as it comes out on Steam? By that, I mean, play XIII, then buy the second one, then the third.

liquidcalm
11-02-2014, 01:38 PM
They are not too expensive, and if you like the first, then maybe go on to the sequels. If you don't like the first.. particularly the story aspect, then I wouldn't touch the sequels with a barge pole.

Edit: here is a short blog I posted last night about playing FF7 for the millionth time. http://levelspiritlevel.tumblr.com/post/101526412952/final-fantasy-vii-3-hours-in

Dr Channard
12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Edit: here is a short blog I posted last night about playing FF7 for the millionth time.
http://levelspiritlevel.tumblr.com/post/101526412952/final-fantasy-vii-3-hours-in (http://levelspiritlevel.tumblr.com/post/101526412952/final-fantasy-vii-3-hours-in)

Ah, the power of nostalgia!

Currently I’m starting FF Tactics again, which by the way is as deserving of a proper sequel as anything else in the franchise. Just a fucking great game.

Also, Smooth McGroove is my hero for this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s20588opz4

I was going to put that in the Video Game Music thread, but the page refuses to load.

bgalbraith
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I've been getting back into FFXIV after a bit of a hiatus. The addition of the Golden Saucer is pretty great -- Chocobo Racing and Triple Triad!

Also, I did a freehand rendering of the Postmoogle using colored pencils:

http://i.imgur.com/A8jPwzN.jpg

Piko
03-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I haven't really messed with GS yet. Animus weapon...

Piko
03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Anyone play the demo yet? Takes some getting used to, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'll probably start Type 0 after I finish. Pretty decent length for a demo.

liquidcalm
03-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Not out till Friday here in the UK.. hoping my order ships soon! I'm actually pretty excited about playing Type-0, It looks like FF meets Persona with a real time battle system. I can get behind that.

Space Suicide
03-18-2015, 04:46 PM
I had zero interest in Type-0 HD but I'm wanting it in a BAD way.

I need it for FFXV demo as well.

Wretchedest
03-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Im playing the ffxv demo and its a very mixed bag. The combat system is a tragedy. Like, it makes me wonder if their stubborn adherence to this system is responsible for all the delays, because it simply is very bad. Enemies are very hard to track, in part because character movement is slow and akward, but also because of the awful camera. Thats why they have the warp attaco, without it you basically cant fight the enemies, but it costs quite a bit of stamina, so the fight inexplicably has to stop while you crouch in a corner all the time. The weapons system is opaque and bizarre, as is exploration, since there isnt a proper map.

All in all its clear this game is a product of ten years past, it feels like it was made ina vacuum, willfully ignorant of the last 10 years of innovation in gaming. It is just simply akward and unfun, and i hope they can fix it because the story seems interesting at least.

Piko
03-18-2015, 09:26 PM
At first I was iffy about the battle system. It grew on me though. Can't wait for the full release. It definitely had it's problems. But there's enough time to sort those out

liquidcalm
03-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Well, gave Type 0 a quick spin. Literally. That camera makes me motion sick. Ugh. Shame, might persevere to see if I can get used it but its like trying to play Minecraft in third person. I'm sure it works fine on a small screen, maybe I'll give Remote play a try... but yeh.. Hurry up and install XV!

elevenism
03-20-2015, 09:34 AM
So i kick it old school most of the time when it comes to video games. I never finished ff6 and i'm finishing it up now.

i wondered, is V any good?

Also, i have a ps2 now. Which one (or ones) are worth getting and most like the "golden era" games, like chrono trigger?

liquidcalm
03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
I've not played much of V, I heard the GBA port was a good version though (the GBA version of VI is probably the best).

As for PS2 era, that is where I found things started getting a little rough, I enjoyed X at the time, yet am worried about going back to it, and X-2 was a bit of a shark jumper.. XI was online only so ner.. XII was a big big change for the series, and the story isn't that great, but it does at least change things up with new (at the time) ideas. And its pretttyyyy.
For me the PS2 era is when RPGs started getting weighed down by their own systems, and beyond the most accessible games (Dark Chronicle, Persona 3/4), none really stuck with me. you might click with a few odd ones though, Valkyrie Profile 2 comes to mind, Star Ocean 3, Xenosaga (I think?), Lots of odd Atlus games like Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.. but yeah.. systems, grinding, not enough time...

Piko
03-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I like FFV. Random battles get kinda annoying though. Camera on Type 0 is pretty bad. Got used to it though. XII is my least favorite. Boring story and characters.

bgalbraith
03-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Played the first mission in Type-0 and just up through the battle tutorial in FFXV.

I was really impressed by the intro cinematic for FFXV, but I don't know how well the rest of the demo will go. I am hardwired to use both inverted axes controls with the analog sticks, and since you can't change them in the demo, I was having a very hard time with the battle sequence. Also being able to choose Japanese voiceover and then not provide subtitles??

I agree that the camera in Type-0 got a bit jumpy at times. It almost feels like they want you to play the game more be feel than being careful with the camera... very twitchy

Wretchedest
03-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Earned the sumkon, and it one shotted the boss, so now i dont know what boss battles will feel like..... The summon is absolutely epic, though.

Battle system has grown on me a little. Still, the camera is so bad especially for this day and age. The targetting system and the way the enemies move around is really annoying with howbsluggish the controls are. Ultimately, i feel like they should have went all in with the action style gameplay, or stuck to a turn based, FFXIII style battle system. Instead of heing a great take on either, its just a bad example of both, taking the worst elements from each. Its a shame.

The svale and tone of the story seems great though. Im looking forward to seeing that play out, i just hope the game in between isnt as muvh of a chore as it currently seems to be.

elevenism
03-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Thank you guys.

On a PS2 i can also play ps1 games.

Is seven good? eight? nine?
are they anything like 4,6, and chrono trigger?

Piko
03-20-2015, 07:24 PM
FF7 is the favorite for many. Great game. Not sure if I'd say it's my favorite though. 8 was my favorite for a long time, but that may have changed. 9 gets a lot of flack, but I love it. Possibly my current favorite.

8 is very different from the other ones (draw system). 9 is more of a throwback to the previous games (especially the first few). It references alot of things from the older ones (the four elementals from FF1, some references to FF2), even some music from FF7.

If I were to rank them:

Shadaloo
03-21-2015, 02:28 PM
7 is widely considered a classic, if overrated. Graphics have aged rather poorly (I'd say this for all three to various extents), but I'd say everyone should play it once.
8 is the bastard child of the latter half of the series; realistic setting (For FF), extremely different and time-consuming magic/equipment system, love-it-or-hate it plot.
9 is hailed by many as a return to form, and has a lot going for it in terms of gameplay and series legacy, but IMO the plot drops off halfway through and half the cast becomes irrelevant. A good choice if the narrative's not as important to you as atmosphere or gameplay, I'd say.

Piko
03-21-2015, 03:13 PM
I think 9 was more of a departure point for the series with nods to the past. It's the last game in the series of its kind (I think?). Every game after became more complex and farther away from the traditional turn based formula. 7 is extremely overrated. But, it's still a great game.

Jinsai
03-21-2015, 03:29 PM
9 is hailed by many as a return to form

This always bothered me. The people who loved IX seemed primarily happy that it did away with all the dark sci-fi stuff. For me that was the biggest let down. I grew up with the games, but it was with IV that it started getting good, with VI that it got great, and VII is still the best to date. Yes, the graphics are really horribly dated... it looks like Lego Final Fantasy now. The English translation was remarkably bad.

But VII finally got the world right and captured something really atmospherically perfect despite those faults. The game is still great now if you can get past the graphics. The pacing at which the world unfolds and expands is really flawless, the story is actually pretty good, the characters are memorable and interesting.

Still, a lot of the fans were split on it going in a new futuristic setting. They wanted a "return to form," forgetting that the origins of Final Fantasy were actually built around rampant fantasy trope plagiarism. The early games were plotless grinds filled with names and designs lifted directly from D&D, mythology, and Tolkien. It took a long time to move away from that towards something actually compelling... but let's throw all that away, have a "story" about a bad guy who wants to tap into a crystal, and go back to the generic fantasy setting, but this time let's update the look to be a bit more Disney.

blaaaaaaaah.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Fuck yeah goddamn right mother fuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=EELUk0XxPrM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=EELUk0XxPrM)

(And it actually looks super good! D: )

Aladdinsanity
06-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Ugh. YES! Fuck fuck fuck. FUCK YES!

Liquid_Bastard
06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
So they finally caved?! Must need the money since they've released almost nothing but shit for over a decade.

Piko
06-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Think they were having some financial troubles a little while back. It's dumb of them to have waited this long. People have been telling them for years the game they want. Wonder how long it will take... Or how far along it is. Especially considering Nomura is working on KH3 now, I think.

Liquid_Bastard
06-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Maybe it's why he left XV? Part of me is excited. Part of me feels like it's a bit too late. Part of me is afraid they my try to shoehorn their shitty new combat system or something similar. Also, I'm kind of tired of not having a true new PS4 game that isn't a port or another rehash. I tried like hell to get into Boodborne. I'm hoping Arkham Knight will be what I've been waiting for. I'll talk shit about this remake but I'm sure my inner fanboy will make me buy this on its release date.

Piko
06-15-2015, 09:33 PM
He left XV for KH3. Maybe it's something that won't take too much work for him to hand over KH3. This game will probably not be.coming out for awhile though.

Liquid_Bastard
06-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Oh, that's right.

I was thinking the same thing about the progress so I'm not going to get too excited for it just yet.

Jinsai
06-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Unbelievable... as in I literally am having a hard time believing it. I want a general release window.

Dr Channard
06-15-2015, 11:18 PM
All I can say is, if this remake does not allow me to put on a wig and dress and go into the Honeybee Inn, then it can go straight to hell.

Just kidding, this is very welcome news!

Liquid_Bastard
06-15-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm a bit curious about how much they're going to tone it down to please the SJWs.

gorast
06-16-2015, 02:34 AM
20th anniversary is probably what they're aiming for, if they've already put a year and a half of work into it.

I hope that they don't really change anything beyond updating the script and ensuring the translation isn't fucking horrible this time. Final Fantasy IV's remake was a pretty faithful remake gameplay/storywise, right?

jubilee
06-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Finally (hoho) after that cocktease that was the PC port reveal I was delighted to see this appear on the internets this morning .
Considering they have Nomura directing, I would like to think they will remain fairly faithful to the original (I.e - same story arch, sidequests and materia etc) but will of course update the mechanics somewhat. I have had dreams where the FF15 gameplay footage we've seen is with Cloud et al in FF7 settings, maybe and hopefully that's what we'll get.

darktemplar007
06-16-2015, 10:15 AM
I've been wanting to replay 7 for so long now, but kept holding off in hopes this would finally happen.
YES.

I can't believe it actually did.

Space Suicide
06-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Cool, I'll get it. FF isnt my favorite series so I didn't really have a heartattack like most people.

Liquid_Bastard
06-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Now that I've had more time to process, I think I'm actually excited for this remake. While we're on the topic of Final Fantasy remakes: I know it won't happen anytime soon if ever, but I would really love a FF6 remake.

Dr Channard
06-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Now that I've had more time to process, I think I'm actually excited for this remake.

Cautiously optimistic feels like the right place for me to be here. The game was perfect for it’s time in 97, but obviously some things will have to change for today, and it will be interesting to see what they do with it and how well it will translate into 2016/17. There’s a million ways this behemoth could go off the rails and straight to shit. Let’s just hope that they don’t “remake” too much of it so that it becomes something that isn’t actually FFVII. Ugh, need to think positive! Can this remake possibly live up to the hype and nostalgia of the original? Let’s hope for the best!

Shadaloo
06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Cloud will still likely have a pretty mouf (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-it-seems-like-final-fantasy-7s-remake-wont-lose-so-much-of-the-crazy).

This will not, however, be a straight untouched remake (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-have-more-work-done-to-its-story/).

Liquid_Bastard
06-17-2015, 06:44 PM
My SJW post was just me being silly. However, I'm expecting some changes to make sense with an updated version such as the button mashing during the escape from the Shinra building and such. Maybe update the battle system a little? I don't know.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Cloud will still likely have a pretty mouf (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-it-seems-like-final-fantasy-7s-remake-wont-lose-so-much-of-the-crazy).

This will not, however, be a straight untouched remake (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-have-more-work-done-to-its-story/).

I read about that on my lunch break and felt a little better about it! Time's gonna be the real judge for this one. Honestly, no matter how good it may end up looking at launch (not just visually, but story updates, mechanics, technical bullshit updated for new systems/expectations), I'll keep myself from being 100% sure about the game. But fuck, just the fact that it's actually HAPPENING now is enough to blow me away, but I won't let the hype make me think it'll just be good by default. This is a BIG project with a million...no, a billion little things that could go wrong, and the best we can hope for is that it's at least worth existing, even if it's not 100% stellar quality.

I am really interested to see just how much of the game is gonna be retained, though. I remember reading like, a year ago that they weren't sure whether to even start on the remake, when, evidently, they were pretty deep into production by then. But they seem really confident about their decision to remake it, and I'm glad that they were aware of their own opportunity. The big names that would have to be attached to the game ARE getting older, and moving on to bigger parts of their lives, and if they'd waited longer, could you imagine getting a FF7 remake from a team of developers that were completely out of touch with the creative process behind the original? It'd inevitably suck.

Full visual facelift, a few little tweaks/updates to (hopefully) improve the story and backstory, and maybe some updated mechanics and whatnot. That's all I really want, so if it can meet those expectations, I'm on board.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the voice acting, too. Or perhaps they'll take a chance at keeping the lack of spoken dialogue? Who knows.

Liquid_Bastard
06-17-2015, 07:34 PM
That's all I really want, as well. As time goes on since this announcement, I've been going full on nostalgia mode. I've been blasting Razorblade Suitcase from Bush that I also got for Christmas that year as well as replaying the Unforgiven II performance Metallica did at the Billboard Music Awards that year. I think I was in 4th grade. I'm 27 now, got medically discharged from the Navy, and back in college. Holy shit. Anyone else feeling similar?

Dr Channard
06-17-2015, 07:46 PM

“Again, this time, since the story is being handled by Nojima, that also means that there will be more work added to it, so please look forward to that as well.” - Tetsuya Nomura

If all he means by that is that they will expand/supplement/flesh out the already existing story, then cool. But if they plan on fundamentally altering the existing canon in any way, not cool! We don’t need a Final Fantasy VII equivalent of this,

http://i60.tinypic.com/t8mc1w.jpg

As time goes on since this announcement, I've been going full on nostalgia mode. … I think I was in 4th grade… Holy shit. Anyone else feeling similar?

Hell yeah, I was in high school in 97. I played videogames from the late 80’s on up, but FFVII was the one that turned me into a binge gamer. To the memories.:D

Liquid_Bastard
06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Same here. Before, I would just casually play a game. I used to obsess over the early Mortal Kombat games as a kid. FF2 (FF4) was my first and definitely one of my favorite final fantasy games. However, it wasn't until I unwrapped FF7 for Christmas of 1997 that I started the "binge gaming." I remember on my winter, spring, and summer breaks starting to spend many sleepless nights seeing how far I could progress into a game. Which is funny because at the same time I started so many new games on FF7 thinking that I could do better. It wasn't until a week later when I finally made it to the world map that I decided to just continue. Man, I was a silly kid.

Aladdinsanity
06-17-2015, 08:17 PM
The Tifa v. Scarlet slapping match would be a great opportunity for them to take a humorous meta-jab at QTE's. I'm sure they'll probably cut that part out of the remake altogether though (which I'm fine with).

Wretchedest
06-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Mmm dont want a secpnd coming of advent children.... Fuck

I dont need grand scale leaping into the sky anime bullshit. This very well could turn out awful.

Shadaloo
06-18-2015, 12:09 AM
If all he means by that is that they will expand/supplement/flesh out the already existing story, then cool. But if they plan on fundamentally altering the existing canon in any way, not cool!

Honestly, I think that the news that we're gonna get cross-dressing Cloud is a pretty good indicator we'll be sticking on the same basic story path, more or less. I'm not too worried. I mean, the game's not perfect, and I kind of expect them to build a little on characters who were pretty one-note, like 95% of Shinra's Machiavellian moustache-twirling upper management. I guarantee the Turks will get more exposure and fleshing out, too. And they might make things gel a little bit more with Crisis Core (which I didn't hate).

I could also see them actually showing off the Ancients and the Jenova crisis period, from Aerith's point of view and the knowledge she obtains (the way she said that Jenova appeared to the Ancients in the form of 'dead relatives' and initially appeared friendly kind of begs a closer look). I'd like that, to see more of their wacky seashell villages.

Someone on NeoGAF made a pretty good point; the trailer's voiceover says that "the reunion may bring fear, it may bring joy." That's not so much about the plot as it is a message to the fans - "we know you're terrified we'll fuck this up, but we're going to try to do right by you."

Anyway, waaaaaay too early to freak about this. They're not even ready to tell us the official full name, and this thing won't happen until 2017 earliest.

My thoughts are with the employees who even right now I'm sure are working insane shifts, isolated from their families, to crank this thing out for us. Bless.

Reaps
06-18-2015, 12:19 AM
I thought i'd already wasted enough of my life breeding chocobo's till i read this shit. Damn!

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Can you even imagine how long the people working on this have been keeping their mouths shut???

Dr Channard
06-18-2015, 05:56 PM
So I was pretty much thinking abut the remake all day at work today, decided to get my old FF PS collection (or what’s left of it) out when I got home.

http://i58.tinypic.com/6p6pg0.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2vl2ntu.jpg

:rolleyes:

It’s easy for me to get down on the idea of making changes to VII, but I suppose some changes will be necessary, maybe even good. What do any of you guys and gals think? What things would you like to see changed or added in the remake? How about the battle system, the old ATB system, in or out? Dialog boxes or voice acting? Original score or a new one? Leveling systems, linearity of world map, single player or multiplayer… any thoughts?

Shadaloo
06-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Well, we know the battle system is being 'evolved' from the interviews. Safe to say we're still mucking with materia, but it remains to be seen just how. Won't be Active Time Battle from the comments we've heard.

I think voice acting and a re-recorded score are musts. Dialog boxes just won't cut it in these newfangled modern day big-budget virtual movies. As for the score, as much as I adore it, it has too much of that PSX sequencing flavour to fly; it'd clash with the visuals. They'll rerecord it for sure; I just hope to god Nobuo Uematsu is directly overseeing and directing. I'll accept nobody else.

I don't think they need to mess with leveling at all, but they should really, really to modify stat gains and make them more character-specific. It was too easy to make everyone an all-powerful god in all ways.

They NEED the world map to do FFVII justice. The game is about the Planet, we must see the Planet. If it goes linear, terrible FFXIII-style, I will flip desks. The last thing this game should feel like is one long tunnel.

Keep other people out of my single-player RPG experience. :p

gorast
06-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Seeing FFVIII reminded me that I really, really hated how the combat system worked in that game. It might just be because I could never get a grasp on it, but man, it sucked.

I don't think the combat is going to see any major tweak in the remake for VII. Same with the story and gameplay progression - I think they know not to mess with that sort of stuff. I just hope that XV hasn't been derailed by this remake, because god knows XV's been derailed enough.

Piko
06-19-2015, 08:51 AM
I have a feeling XV is close to completion. But, considering Nomura moved on to KH3, I hope it doesn't interfere with that. I also hope it doesn't matter take ten years to come out. I'm optimistic that it won't. If they can she'll out sequels to XIII every few years, it shouldn't take too long for a remake. Not a decade at least.

Shadaloo
06-19-2015, 05:50 PM
The FF7 trailer's references run deep, yo. (http://thelifestream.net/news/final-fantasy-vii-news/32711/visual-breakdown-of-ffvii-remake-e3-trailer/)

Liquid_Bastard
06-20-2015, 01:33 AM
One of the things I kind of hope they change is how weak Cloud is during the first flashback in Kalm. I get what they were trying to do but I don't believe it would make sense for him to be as useless in a modern version.

Dr Channard
06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Well, we know the battle system is being 'evolved' from the interviews. Safe to say we're still mucking with materia, but it remains to be seen just how. Won't be Active Time Battle from the comments we've heard.

I think voice acting and a re-recorded score are musts. Dialog boxes just won't cut it in these newfangled modern day big-budget virtual movies. As for the score, as much as I adore it, it has too much of that PSX sequencing flavour to fly; it'd clash with the visuals. They'll rerecord it for sure; I just hope to god Nobuo Uematsu is directly overseeing and directing. I'll accept nobody else.

I don't think they need to mess with leveling at all, but they should really, really to modify stat gains and make them more character-specific. It was too easy to make everyone an all-powerful god in all ways.

They NEED the world map to do FFVII justice. The game is about the Planet, we must see the Planet. If it goes linear, terrible FFXIII-style, I will flip desks. The last thing this game should feel like is one long tunnel.

Keep other people out of my single-player RPG experience.

Options are always a good thing. If they do overhaul the battle system and musical score, it would be cool to give players the option to play it either way, using either the new or old battle system and music. Maybe also an option for voice acting or dialog box.

Agree with single player, and I look forward to seeing how they handle the world map.

What are opinions on a release model for the game? I prefer physical disc games. I’d much rather not have to buy and download the game in chapters or installments. I am not a fan of buying access to something, but not getting to physically own it. Nor do I want to pay extra for special characters/items/weapons/levels/etc. I say just put everything on the discs and charge upfront what you want for the game. If you did your jobs right and the game is good, then people will flock to buy it. Even if they do make it a digital distribution game, at least make the physical purchase an option.

Aladdinsanity
06-20-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it'll get a physical release. It's going to be a huge game and digital distribution for anything exceeding 20GB gets to be a pain in the ass for most people.

It would be disastrous for them to try and break this up into episodes. The concept of open-world games in general are incompatible with the episodic format. FFVII is pretty linear as far as open-world games go, but open-world nonetheless.

Wretchedest
06-20-2015, 07:44 PM
There isnt a lot of breathing room here. A graphical update and recorded dialogue is about as far as i think they should go.

Maybe change the way random encounters work? Like i said, the slightest change could really hurt the game. It is a perfect , although some what dated mechanically. I just hope that doesnt convince them to tweak it too hard

As far as the plot goes. Nothing should be removed and nothing should be added. At all. Dont fuck it up!

Piko
06-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Judging from what I've read. It seems like they're going into it with a "go big or go home" mentality. Especially when they just ported it to ps4. If it's open world, it'll take forever to make. XV being the prime example.

Dr Channard
06-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Dont fuck it up!

I wonder if that’s the official slogan on the giant inspirational banner hanging from the ceiling at the remake production facilities.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-21-2015, 12:08 PM
See, they say things like they're gonna be making some changes to the story, but I feel like it will only be small, otherwise unnoticed things. Things that, when you notice them, you'd probably just say "Ohhh...yeah, actually that is a little better." I mean, by and large, I can't really think of whole lot off the top of my head they'd need to change.

I'm optimistic for it. I don't expect it to be better (mainly because FF7 was...literally perfect for the time), but I'm sure they wouldn't do something drastic. This is their crown jewel. They fuck THIS up, and it'll literally take them years to financially make up for it.

Jinsai
06-21-2015, 01:21 PM
See, they say things like they're gonna be making some changes to the story, but I feel like it will only be small, otherwise unnoticed things. Things that, when you notice them, you'd probably just say "Ohhh...yeah, actually that is a little better." I mean, by and large, I can't really think of whole lot off the top of my head they'd need to change.

If they start dropping in references and extended plot points from Crisis Core and Advent Children, I'm gonna be sad. Crisis Core was a great game with a really convoluted and mostly forgettable story.
Alrea if they fuck this up, it will be the last dime that SE gets from me... but even if it's terrible it'll sell a billion copies on day one.
I really don't think it will be anything short of amazing though. It's too easy to get it right at this point by playing it safe.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-21-2015, 01:38 PM
If they start dropping in references and extended plot points from Crisis Core and Advent Children, I'm gonna be sad. Crisis Core was a great game with a really convoluted and mostly forgettable story.
@Alrea (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=427) if they fuck this up, it will be the last dime that SE gets from me... but even if it's terrible it'll sell a billion copies on day one.
I really don't think it will be anything short of amazing though. It's too easy to get it right at this point by playing it safe.

Exactly. They're on some thin ice with making sure this goes over smoothly, but it really looks like they know what's at stake, and they're confident in their decisions. I'll be buying it no matter what, even if it turns out to be garbage, but any bad taste in the mouths of fans is gonna kill any confidence we have for future games.

As far as Crisis Core and Advent Children (as well as Dirge of Cerberus and any other FF7 "expansions"), I think they know better than to include toooo much of either of those in FF7 Remake. When they say they'll be making changes, I like to think they mean maybe expanding on loose ends or filling in little gaps in the story that were left unexplained or that need to be fleshed out a little more. It'd be suicide to make any drastic changes to such a HUGE story with so many people and events.

Oh yeah, I figure I should ask this here - So is there any way to play the original FF7 on PS4 right now? Or is that HD port even still a thing for this console? I'd try googling "Final Fantasy 7 Playstation 4," but at this point, any result I find is gonna be related to Remake. I have it on disc, and my PS1 is around here somewhere, but just for the sake of convenience... :P

Piko
06-21-2015, 01:46 PM
It'd be cool for them to fill in the missing blanks from Crisis Core. Like, Cissnei being a huge part of the story, yet the main game has zero existence of her. Or Genesis. Loved Crisis Core, but it created more than it should have. So if they're changing things around for the remake, I'd follow up from Crisis Core.

liquidcalm
06-21-2015, 03:04 PM
they said the HD PC port is still on its way.. should be around winter. I was actually hyped for that.. probably more so than the remake...

Aladdinsanity
06-22-2015, 12:35 AM
One thing they definitely need to tweak is Barrett's dialogue so that it isn't a hodgepodge of ridiculous stereotypes. He has great depth as a character, but you have to look past him talking like a cross between Red Foxx and Shaft to see that -- he can still maintain his tough-guy persona otherwise.

Should also have Cid scale back on his Mel Gibson-ness toward his assistant lady.

Jon
06-22-2015, 01:50 AM
1). A comprehensive Bestiary
2). Better controls for the Gold Saucer roller coaster event
3). A more "intuitive" screen for the Materia system (sorting options!)

That's it, honestly.

Jinsai
06-22-2015, 02:15 PM
1). A comprehensive Bestiary
2). Better controls for the Gold Saucer roller coaster event
3). A more "intuitive" screen for the Materia system (sorting options!)

That's it, honestly.

I'm imagining a massively improved version of the snowboarding and bike-through Midgar segments too...

gorast
06-22-2015, 03:48 PM
One thing they definitely need to tweak is Barrett's dialogue so that it isn't a hodgepodge of ridiculous stereotypes. He has great depth as a character, but you have to look past him talking like a cross between Red Foxx and Shaft to see that -- he can still maintain his tough-guy persona otherwise.

Should also have Cid scale back on his Mel Gibson-ness toward his assistant lady.

I think a translation that isn't a complete disaster will fix these problems. Time can fix that, too - his Advent Children dialogue was fine, much better than the game's.

Jinsai
06-23-2015, 12:32 AM
yeah, even though it definitely has one of the best stories in the series, the translation was truly horrible. Kind of baffling considering.

With regards to this remake, the best thing they can do is to make sure they listen to the fans. Treat Advent Children as a test market check... listen to what people did and didn't like about it, and let that guide and inform your decisions in how you steer the game. The majority of hardcore fans of the game know what will make the remake great, maybe even more than the current team behind the remake does. Take their feedback into consideration, but don't be too afraid to try new things, and you'll have something amazing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-23-2015, 06:54 PM
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/23/final-fantasy-vii-remake-different

Pretty good little interview with Nomura! I feel good about the way they're handling this so far. But, ya know, talk is cheap. They could just as easily be tripping over their own shit. Time will tell!

And if I can't change the color of each corner of my text windows and menus, I'll write this off as a complete failure!

Jon
06-23-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm imagining a massively improved version of the snowboarding and bike-through Midgar segments too...

Man, that brings back many frustrating hours of trying to find the Alexander materia. I must have blocked that snowboarding event from my mind.

EDIT: I realize you meant at the Gold Saucer.

Dr Channard
06-27-2015, 07:31 PM
In the FF7 remake it could work well to give more control over game events through dialogue, via a dialogue menu system (like BioWare RPGs). It also could be cool to have a few segments where you play as The Turks on their parallel missions. Maybe something like when you at times played as Laguna, Kiros and Ward in FFVIII. Just some random thoughts.

Piko
06-27-2015, 08:08 PM
I want a turks game! On a side note, has anyone picked up Heavensward? If so, yay or nay?

bgalbraith
06-28-2015, 11:13 PM
On a side note, has anyone picked up Heavensward? If so, yay or nay?

I have it, but I haven't finished all the 2.x content yet, so I haven't actually started any of the new content. I'm not sure, but I think a lot of it is locked until you finish the 2.x story arc. Friends who are playing it now seem to like it though. Huge areas that you can eventually fly though, plus the new classes, new race, and the level cap bump.

Piko
06-29-2015, 08:50 AM
I almost bought it over the weekend, but didn't. Really want to try out the dark knight though. I still need to finish the 2.55 content (steps of faith trial). Kept getting partied up with douchebags. One of the reasons I quit/took a break.

spiralout
12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWEjWCwjzM

ziltoid
12-05-2015, 03:08 PM
A couple of things I noticed from the trailer.
Biggs doesn't look like I imagined.
Did they steal Adam Jensen's sunglasses and give it to Barret?
Barret's voice acting is horrible.
Then again all the voice acting in most Squeenix games are sub par just like Advent Children.
I don't mind the combat changes. Everyone else is livid about it. I just hope the Materia system is still being used.

The game is still in early development so maybe they just threw together what they had for the presentation.
I just hope the voice acting is a simple placeholder for the game trailer.
If not I hope they include a Japanese voice track and English subtitles when the game releases.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-05-2015, 03:31 PM
I mean, it pretty much looked the way I expected. I went in thinking "the voice acting will likely miss the mark, the gameplay will probably be completely unrecognizable in comparison to the original game, and it'll be real pretty."

So far, all those have been true, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...My expectations could be totally blown out of the water between now and launch (76 years from now) but hey, who am I kidding? I'll probably buy it even if it's a turd sandwich in a box with "FF7 Remake" imprinted onto it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Double post for new page!

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWEjWCwjzM

Shadaloo
12-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Well, Barret sounds awful, it's been established that Nobuo Uematsu isn't back. But I'll be very surprised if they don't just rerecord his score.

Otherwise? I'm masturbating to this right now, true story

Piko
12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
They've made a lot of progress, it seems. Maybe it won't take too long for then to finish. By "too long" I mean a decade long development cycle like FFXV.

liquidcalm
12-06-2015, 04:22 AM
I'm not gonna lie, more than the announcement trailer, that gameplay made me VERY excited. I picked up the 'remaster' and played a good couple of hours, and more than any other game, FFVII gives me that nostalgia blast like Star Wars.

Good to see see the combat looks a bit like FFXV too, it really works in Episode Duscae, and looks like the same engine too. The crappy voice acting kinda suits its 90's anime origins too.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
From an avid FF VII player, and fan, they hit the mark on everything here in my opinion. the voice acting I would expect to be a bit cheesy since it kind of is already. I can only imagine what Knight Of The Round and the Wall Market will look like. Man, so many things to look forward to with this! Plus, the classic music still goes with the visuals and brings back the immediate nostalgia factor. So awesome that we are getting two new, and hopefully proper FF games. It's still surreal to me :D.

Space Suicide
12-06-2015, 04:11 PM
I never played FFVII (Yeah yeah shoot me) so I'll pick this up on prestige alone.

liquidcalm
12-06-2015, 05:00 PM
prepare to wonder what all the fuss is about!

Piko
12-06-2015, 09:23 PM
It's a great game. But, I think it's a bit overhyped. It's not the best FF game. I'm all for the remake though. It looks great.

edit:

In a BNB voice (some will get it): I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS!

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-broken-up-into-episodes-324863.phtml

This is also on Kotaku and a few other sites. This sounds awful.

Shadaloo
12-07-2015, 12:06 AM
It depends how they go about it. It's a massive undertaking so it's...kind of...understandable. I don't think this precludes the existence of a world map or anything.

Wretchedest
12-07-2015, 12:09 AM
The way they are handling this is so weird.

I could have handled a few changes.... Like a way to reduce the obnoxiousness of encounters, reduce grinding, make save points more practical....

It really just needed some upgraded character models and maybe some voice acting.

And it just looks weird. This is weird.

Piko
12-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I wonder how far apart the episodes will be from one another. Episodic games have continuity issues, imo. At least they do to me. Waiting 2-3 months, if not more, to continue. I wandered away from some games because of the long waits in between.

ziltoid
12-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Edit: oops looks like I didn't see the previous posts. sorry.

Looks like Squeenix is going the episodic route with the remake.
http://kotaku.com/why-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-split-up-1746598619
(http://kotaku.com/why-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-split-up-1746598619)
Somehow I knew this was coming and the huge divide it would make with the fans .
I understand why but, at the same time, it seems to me like they might be trying to squeeze every penny out of the remake.
As long as they adapt and accept feedback throughout the releases I wont mind as much.
If it means we get to play it sooner than I thought and we don't have to wait long between episodes I'll give it a fair shot.
It somewhat works with Taletell games and RE revelations 2.
I just hope that if they do adopt this model that they actually release the episodes in a timely manner.

I like to add that there is a rumor that Final Fantasy X/X2 and VI is coming to steam.
I just bought X/X2 for the PS4 but I might pick it up it again if its goes on sale for the release.
I'd definitely pick up VI without a second thought.

Jinsai
12-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I never played FFVII (Yeah yeah shoot me) so I'll pick this up on prestige alone.

Hmmmm... well, chances are that now, at this point, you're going to have a hard time navigating your way to enjoy it as much as it deserves to be enjoyed. It would be like if you were a fan of horror games, and yet had never played the original Resident Evil. You'd have to REALLY love survival horror games at this point to truly love that original game and see past its faults, and all the ways that it has aged badly.

One of the reasons people have been begging Square to remake FF7 is because it has aged VERY badly in some really obvious ways... they're mostly related to aspects that the game helped pioneer and revolutionize, but nonetheless, they crash and burn by modern standards. The art direction and ideas are great, but the graphics are laughably bad now.

Playing through FF7 for the first time now would probably feel, at least at first (before the world map opens up), like it was an unfinished Lego Final Fantasy game. It's really frustrating, because it's for this reason that you constantly hear people bitch and moan about how overrated the game is. The truth is, Final Fantasy 7 is NOT overrated at all, in fact, at this point (after all the bitching and moaning), it may be underrated. It's certainly better than FF9, even if many aspects of it haven't aged as well. Actually, almost every game in the series has aged better than 7.

The irony is that's because 7 was pushing harder to do new things at the time that were ACTUALLY new. I don't know, if you never played the game when it came out, there's a good chance that you won't "get" what was so magical about it at this point.

liquidcalm
12-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Hmmmm... well, chances are that now, at this point, you're going to have a hard time navigating your way to enjoy it as much as it deserves to be enjoyed. It would be like if you were a fan of horror games, and yet had never played the original Resident Evil. You'd have to REALLY love survival horror games at this point to truly love that original game and see past its faults, and all the ways that it has aged badly.

One of the reasons people have been begging Square to remake FF7 is because it has aged VERY badly in some really obvious ways... they're mostly related to aspects that the game helped pioneer and revolutionize, but nonetheless, they crash and burn by modern standards. The art direction and ideas are great, but the graphics are laughably bad now.

Playing through FF7 for the first time now would probably feel, at least at first (before the world map opens up), like it was an unfinished Lego Final Fantasy game. It's really frustrating, because it's for this reason that you constantly hear people bitch and moan about how overrated the game is. The truth is, Final Fantasy 7 is NOT overrated at all, in fact, at this point (after all the bitching and moaning), it may be underrated. It's certainly better than FF9, even if many aspects of it haven't aged as well. Actually, almost every game in the series has aged better than 7.

The irony is that's because 7 was pushing harder to do new things at the time that were ACTUALLY new. I don't know, if you never played the game when it came out, there's a good chance that you won't "get" what was so magical about it at this point.

Agreed, but I think someone who has played other FF games, at least 10.. and maybe the older sprite ones, would be right at home, I downloaded the ps4 remaster and was impressed how quickly I got through to Wall market, plus you can just turn encounters off if they are getting annoying, and speed the game up 3x when grinding/travelling. You can also click one of the sticks to get health and limit breaks. While that robs some time/challenge, it good for people who just want the story.

I think peoples first FF will often be the 'special' one, and beyond the series, 7 really did lay out the template for what epic gaming was in the PSX generation, with its impact being felt through the PS2 era too, it was only really as game budgets soared and the cinematic game fest that characterised the end of the PS2 and PS3/360 era that FF7 really started to look dated.

I'm pretty pleased the remake will be split up, we might actually get to play (some of) it before the PS5/Xbox2 or whatever...

Jinsai
12-07-2015, 11:51 AM
plus you can just turn encounters off if they are getting annoying, and speed the game up 3x when grinding/travelling.
This was amazing, and the best "improvement" to the new version. I love it, and really, it saves the game from many aspects which would drag it down in a modern context.

You can also click one of the sticks to get health and limit breaks.
And I'm sorry, but this was bullshit. They really shouldn't have done this. I don't even want that temptation. They should have made it a "mode" you could play it in... called "story mode" or something. Putting that ability as an accessible right stick click? It's almost like I'm worried I'll do it by accident.

Also, I agree about how people will have a fondness for the "first" game they play in a series... but my first FF game was FF1. I was also really into the Dragon Warrior games. I loved FFVI and played it religiously when it came out. I still love that game, and in a lot of ways it has aged much better than 7. But FF7 was something really amazing to me. It checked all the boxes. The dystopian sci-fi world, the eerie damp sunless world, the way it transitions away from it... the story was one of the only stories I've actually waded through in a video game that felt ultimately rewarding. All of its imperfections are forgiven.

I don't know how I feel about the "episodic remake" thing. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point.
I'm not a fan of episodic games in general. I just got done playing the Game of Thrones game, and I am PISSED at how long that took to play out. I wish I had just waited until I could have played it all in one sitting. I found myself struggling to remember what the hell was even going on with some of the details.

Dr Channard
12-07-2015, 01:13 PM

FFVII was a gaming masterpiece in 1997, and it still is today. It’s a testament to the heart and soul its creators poured into it. In no way is FFVII overrated. Not then. Not now. Some today may not appreciate the literary works of William Shakespeare or the many renaissance works of Michelangelo, but regardless they are still masterpieces.

Piko
12-07-2015, 08:47 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, they're splitting the remake into full length games (like the FFXIII series). They say it's due to the size. I'm not buying that. But, I can see why them wanting to get something out by 2017. I'm iffy on it. It's like The Hobbit films. Do we really need more than one?

ziltoid
12-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Worth looking at. He raises a few valid points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDXClMZcvY

Shadaloo
12-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Nah, not separate games. Episodic, like Life Is Strange.

Dr Channard
12-08-2015, 11:54 AM
In a BNB voice (some will get it): I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS!

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-broken-up-into-episodes-324863.phtml (http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-broken-up-into-episodes-324863.phtml)

This is also on Kotaku and a few other sites. This sounds awful.

Uh-oh… ain’t that just ballsackular! :mad:

I feel my heart sinking a bit. But as long as they get around to releasing it as a complete physical package, I can be patient, I guess. Although I have a feeling we’re going to get soaked good on this.

Shadaloo
12-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Picked up the FF7 PS4 port and there are sound bugs running rampant. The map BGM resets from the beginning after every fight. :/

Piko
12-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Picked up the FF7 PS4 port and there are sound bugs running rampant. The map BGM resets from the beginning after every fight. :/

Picked it up earlier today. So far, so good. A lot of things look smoother. But, maybe it's just me, but the environments don't seem as good as the ps1 version. Like I said, maybe it's just me.

liquidcalm
12-12-2015, 04:42 PM
the BG images are scaled up from the original PSX resolution while the models etc are rendered in native HD, so it blurs the background whilst making the 3d models sharper. The fights look great.. just a shame they didn't add any border art or offer variable ratios.. still.. I love the skip fights and 3x speed option.

spiralout
12-12-2015, 05:18 PM
I feel like the cheats for the port are Square's way of saying "we know you're replaying this just to relive the story and hear the music" which is exactly what I'm doing, and I'm really enjoying doing so. 3x speed is great. I'm going to try my best not to use the max HP/MP/Limit.

liquidcalm
12-13-2015, 08:38 AM
It would be great if more remasters/re-releases/remakes what have you have similar features, like DVD menus to skip to parts, super easy/super hard modes. There is a great little piece by Dara O'Brien where he talks about how games are the only medium that block you out of story if you are not good enough. Books don't snap shut until you have understood the events of the previous chapters, nor should a narrative game place blocks to prevent you getting further because of a lack of skill. I'm sure someone could say you don't deserve the story (I'm looking at you Dark Souls) if you don't meet the games challenge, but also what about people who don't physically have the ability to play the game? Should they be left out? Challenge is something we can add if we want it and its great to be more inclusive rather than holding tight saying "you can't have it until you can beat it". Note I'm just talking about story here, not levels, gameplay, etc.

spiralout
03-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Anyone catch the Uncovered event yesterday? They announced a bunch of stuff including pre order packages, an anime, full length movie and demo that is available now. The demo is definitely presented in an interesting way, havent got to play it through yet....probably will do so tonight. I'm so ready for this game. We still have quite some time until 9/30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiI7SMQA59Q

Wretchedest
03-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Jesus Christ square, we just need ONE game. Not an anime, not a movie, not a bunch of sub games. These people are so weird. How did it get like this?

Piko
03-31-2016, 05:18 PM
That's what they always do. Usually japan exclusive though. For XIII, they had their own soda (Elixir, I think?). They've always made a big deal when promoting their main games. Might be the first time they do it internationally though. Usually, japan gets the crazy promotional stuff, and we just get the game nine months after. This time were actually getting what they are, and not having to wait for them to localize. Pretty awesome, imo. Probably won't bother with the anime though.

Played the demo this morning. Pretty cool. Still feels rough around the edges though.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Anyone try out the Platinum Demo yet?? For me, it really makes you miss the time based system, but it is definitely something to get used to, and when you do, it seems like hella fun. Tweaks need to be make for lock-on capabilities and throwing items, but then again... it's just a demo.

Edit: Just realized you said that Piko. I found the dodging to be quite annoying at times, but it was pretty dam creative when you are shrunken in size right? I felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts to be honest. Did you find the other hidden items at the end fight?

Piko
04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
I just kind of breezed through the first time. I plan on playing again. The dodging is iffy. The jumping is very rough around the edges. Not sure why they remapped the lock on. It was fine where it was (R1). Right stick just doesn't make sense to me. Felt ALOT like kingdom hearts.

ziltoid
04-07-2016, 10:41 AM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/04/05/may-cover-revealed-final-fantasy-xv-88376363045972.aspx

In our massive 20-page cover story, we offer an even more in-depth look at the game with exclusive new details. We spent a week in Tokyo visiting Square Enix’s offices with unprecedented access, playing the game for hours and interviewing the creative minds making it happen. We talk to the team about everything fans want to know: exploration, narrative, combat, summons, and more. Whether your enthusiasm for Final Fantasy is new, old, or even lapsed, this story is a must-read.

Our exclusive Final Fantasy XV coverage goes on throughout April, so keep checking our hub all month for features celebrating the past, present, and future of Final Fantasy. We dive into the characters and locations, interview the team, and get some new details out of Final Fantasy VII Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase. All that and more is on the way in the coming weeks.

Space Suicide
04-07-2016, 03:58 PM
So some info....

http://www.gamepur.com/news/22678-tabata-shares-new-ffxv-info-loading-screen-new-game-plus-mode-weapons.html

Uraki14
04-09-2016, 10:44 PM
The demo was really beautiful but I felt like the battle controls were a bit clunky. It very well could have just been me, but the videos I've seen made it look like it just flowed so easily. I'm actually excited about this one although the characters all looking the same makes me worried I won't get attached to them as individuals.

Piko
04-10-2016, 01:09 PM
I wonder if they wear the same bland, black outfits throughout the entire game. Usually, the characters are colorful. These ones come off as drab. And I read that they need to sell ten million to break even. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Hopefully that doesn't hurt the series in the future. That ten year development might have really hurt them.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-10-2016, 02:33 PM
I wonder if they wear the same bland, black outfits throughout the entire game. Usually, the characters are colorful. These ones come off as drab. And I read that they need to sell ten million to break even. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Hopefully that doesn't hurt the series in the future. That ten year development might have really hurt them.

I hear that. I have a feeling that the outfits may be stock, but who knows. All I know is that if the FF VII remake is what they say it is going to be, it will be pretty freaking awesome. The only thing I cannot get over is that we finally get something that we have been waiting for for all this time, and all that people can still do is bitch and whine about the direction they are taking with all the new FF series that have an absent time based feature for battle systems. I would have loved to see a time based battle system for the remake, but I am willing to accept change and just be grateful we are getting anything at all. I cannot see not having a time based system being a deal breaker for players... it's just absurd.

Uraki14
04-10-2016, 09:32 PM

That was exactly what I was thinking. When I recall groups they all look so different and I think that makes them all the more iconic. Perhaps they will change in the game. Maybe there is even a reason they're all in black lol I don't doubt it will be a good game though. Hopefully I can get lost for hours in it like previous games.

Piko
04-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Oh, i'm going to lose days on this. I don't doubt that. My gripes towards the game are pretty minor. I'm probably even taking the day off for launch.

Uraki14
04-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Maybe I missed this part or just didn't read through but the demo was just that right? A demo they'd put together to showcase what it was like? It wasn't actually supposed to be a chapter of the story was it?

ziltoid
04-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Yes and no. I cant recall from where where I read about it but someone said in the article that although it's a demo the story that is shown is a part of Noctis childhood and the main game will not recount the story from the demo.

Uraki14
04-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Yes and no. I cant recall from where where I read about it but someone said in the article that although it's a demo the story that is shown is a part of Noctis childhood and the main game will not recount the story from the demo.

Ahh I thought I read something along those lines but I cant' seem to find it now. Also I agree with whoever said it reminded them of Kingdom Hearts. I actually felt more like I was playing a KH game than FF. Not that it is a bad thing :)

bgalbraith
04-11-2016, 05:37 PM
For those that play FFXIV, I participated in the Heavensward music competition to reinterpret the main theme of Ishgard. Instead of doing the typical classical piano/guitar or rock/metal arrangement, I decided to do a eurodance inspired version. Here is the track and accompanying "performance" music video that I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=catl-UB7xcQ

ziltoid
04-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Some new Final Fantasy 7 remake info.
From here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/04/11/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-game-informer.aspx

Fans have been asking for a FFVII remake for years. What about the gaming landscape makes now the right time?
The landscape was one thing, but it was more that we’d been working on the XIII series for the last 10 years. My team and I were mainly focused on that project. Final Fantasy VII Remake would be an equivalent – or even greater – project in terms of scale, and so it would have been hard to do both at the same time. After XIII ended, of course XV is currently being developed by [Hajime] Tabata-san’s team, so it presented a time when we can fully place our focus on the Final Fantasy VII Remake.
When the remake was first announced, there was some confusion among fans about its multi-part format. Is comparing it to the Final Fantasy XIII saga fair in that regard? Will each entry have that kind of scope?
It will essentially be a full-scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory, in a sense. Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn’t really make sense if that isn’t encompassed in the multi-part series, and it wouldn’t make sense to remake it if we don’t encompass that that entire story.
With regards to the current HD capacity and volume, the idea is that we wouldn’t be able to encompass it all in just one installment. So, if we’re just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game.

Have you decided how many installments there will be?
Yeah, we do have an idea on the project side in terms of how many installments it may consist of, but unfortunately, we can’t share that at the moment. Of course, as we’re creating and developing the scenario and the stories, these are things that move in real time. So, the plan may change along the way. But, that said, we do have a vision for how many installments it will consist of.
The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII added new wrinkles to the story and lore behind the game. How is the team approaching the integration of those new elements into the remake?
It’s not to say that all or some of the characters from the spin-offs or other Compilation works will appear in the remake, but if there are any areas where we can use the settings or the characters, we do want to try to incorporate it in there, so it gives off that sense of nuance and those other stories existing.
So, there isn’t any pressure to include every character and storyline from the Compilation content?
Yes, there may be instances where the characters appear themselves, or are just referenced in dialogue. But, of course, it would be difficult to follow up on everything that happened in this universe. So, maybe some of the characters who weren’t as famous won’t appear or be mentioned. But in terms of the characters and instances that remain in the memories of our fans, we do want to try our best to integrate that in some fashion in the world.
Some fans seem to want a remake that is mainly visual upgrades, with none of the story or gameplay altered. Was that ever considered for the project?
The starting point was – and our executive producer [Shinji] Hashimoto-san has mentioned this – it would even be okay if we just upped the graphics to the quality of Advent Children. But, in terms of game styles and battle systems, it’s been 20 years since the original, and a lot has changed. Trends have changed, and I believed that we needed to revisit and rethink that aspect for the remake.
What drove the decision to move away from the traditional turn-based system toward action-focused combat?
We haven’t completely transitioned into action, but as our director [Tetsuya] Nomura-san says, Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape. In terms of the Final Fantasy action battles people have experienced themselves, that is most familiar to them these days. In terms of the image of the battle system, that’s where we’re getting the feel from. It won’t be as action-focused as Dissidia, of course, but the the visuals and how the gameplay feels in essence will be drawn from that Dissidia-esque style.

Not many creators have the chance to revisit a previous project like this. For you personally, is there any aspect of FFVII that you’re looking forward to bringing back to life?
That’s a difficult question. There are certain scenes that are ingrained in the memories of our fans – like Cloud dressing a female, or that impactful Aerith scene. At that time, that was the latest technology and the latest graphics, but now it does look a little bit cheap as far as how it looks graphically and how those scenes are staged. So, everyone’s probably wondering how those scenes will be brought back to life in current, realistic graphics and how they will be expressed. And I myself am interested in that, but it’s also a challenge. For all of those scenes that people remember, I’m wondering how we can meet expectations and express them properly in current-gen graphics.
I’m sure there are areas that our fans want to see how we can change, and areas that they don’t want changed. The opinions of our fans are probably split on a lot of those elements, so determining from a development standpoint where we’ll be more true to the original versus where we change is something we hope to grasp through communicating with our fans. Also, while we want to understand their concerns, we also want to get them excited for the story and seeing how it can be revamped and refreshed.
So, even if you’re familiar with the story, there’s still an opportunity to be surprised?
Definitely. We have archived versions of our games, and a lot of times, people buy them and it starts off with nostalgia – but after that, you’re essentially following the story you already know. That experience starts to diminish as you proceed through the game and the interest level starts to decline. If it’s just nostalgia, it’s just a matter of following the story, and there wouldn’t be any surprises. So, in that sense, we want to balance out the areas we would like change versus the areas we don’t in order to have that nostalgia, but also the surprises.
Do you see the larger iconic plot points as an opportunity to surprise fans, or are there things that you and the team consider untouchable?
I, along with Nomura-san and [Kazushige] Nojima-san – who are involved with the remake – were involved with the original Final Fantasy VII. We were the people who created it, so in that sense, we don’t think anything is untouchable. That isn’t to say we’re changing everything!
Of course, within Square Enix and across the globe, there are people who think it’s on this holy scale. That there isn’t anything we can touch or play around with. But we believe we know the balance between what can be changed versus what needs to be protected.

Uraki14
04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I think I am excited about the FF7 Remake. It looks amazing...... However that doesn't mean they can't completely fuck it all up. I'm still surprised it took them this long to actually do it.

Piko
04-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Kinda odd that they don't want to answer how many games it's going to be.

ziltoid
04-12-2016, 12:34 AM
Yeah I imagine they are deliberately splitting it up to cash in on peoples nostalgia.

It's still unclear but, from my understanding its going to be released just like the recent Hitman game except that its going to cost more per episode?

I actually expect squeenix to shoehorn in costumes,summons like bahamut, and music in the form of dlcs or micro-transactions.
Its not below them to do it since they've do it before. I wont mind it as long as its not detrimental to the "full experience".
I just hope I'm wrong about my predictions.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm fine with squeenix making a profit. I just don't want them to nickle and dime their fan-base to have the complete remastered FF7 experience.

Uraki14
04-12-2016, 02:34 AM
Kinda odd that they don't want to answer how many games it's going to be.

Yeah I did a complete eye roll at that. Really you can't go ahead and prepare me for how many games I will probably be paying full price for? I think on of my main concerns is that they will release them with so much time between that it will hinder the experience. Perhaps I am wrong and they have an agenda set forth for it.... but seeing as how we are talking about the same company that's spent a decade working on KH3.......

Piko
04-12-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm guessing it'll be at least three. But, seriously. You're telling people it's going to be separate full games. Not cheap. Very least you could do is say how many parts there are. Is it going to be problematic for them? Even more so than what it would be like later when they finally do say. Doesn't make sense. They're clearly going to milk this. At least be upfront about it.

Piko
06-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiark Age aka HD Remaster coming in 2017. One of my least favorites of the series. But, maybe it'll give it another shot. Tried playing it again a little while back. Didn't get too far.

kdrcraig
06-06-2016, 09:43 AM
I only made it a few hours into XII before I gave up, didn't like anything about it.

Piko
06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
First playthrough, I got pretty far. Never finished it though. Like I said before, tried giving it another chance but gave up pretty early on. The character progression is supposedly different, so I dunno. Might give it another shot then. Plenty of time to figure it out.

Jinsai
06-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Final Fantasy XII is probably one of the the most underrated games I've ever played. It takes some time to really get into it, you have to get past some ludicrous character design, and the story is much more subdued than the other FF games, but it's incredible, and I don't think enough people gave it a fair chance.

Space Suicide
06-06-2016, 04:45 PM
I still need to beat Type-0 HD. T_T

I could probably 1000 G it. I already got like 680 G and half the story to go or so.

Piko
06-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Final Fantasy XII is probably one of the the most underrated games I've ever played. It takes some time to really get into it, you have to get past some ludicrous character design, and the story is much more subdued than the other FF games, but it's incredible, and I don't think enough people gave it a fair chance.

My issue with XII was the story (or lack thereof) and the bland characters. Kinda cool that you could kinda shape them to be whatever you want them to be. A lot of them really added nothing to the overall story (what there was of one). Aside from Vaan, Balthier, Basch, and Ashe, everyone else was kinda out of place and added nothing to anything. The first final fantasy game had a better story than this one. Middle country gets invaded, and caught in the middle of a turf war between the two surrounding countries. A couple twists and turns, but the story doesn't really go anywhere else from that. One of the very few FF games i've never finished (2,3,5,12).

I still need to beat Type-0 HD. T_T

I could probably 1000 G it. I already got like 680 G and half the story to go or so.

Another one I didn't finish. I got a little bored with the grinding. I get leveling a few guys. But 13 or however many there were was a little too much for me. Someday i'll go back to it though. Gameplay-wise, not too shabby for what began as a PSP game.

kdrcraig
06-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Yeah I didn't like any of the characters in XII and I remember thinking the story was really dumb. I also hated the battle system. It may very well be a great game but I didn't like anything about it enough to keep me playing. I'm not a hardcore Final Fantasy fan by any means either though, I've only ever really completed VII and X.

Piko
11-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Almost there! I'm taking off from work to play this ALL DAY. It better be good. It has to be good.

Space Suicide
11-27-2016, 04:53 PM
I got my copy digitally pre-ordered with Gamestop. Can't wait!

Piko
11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm most likely doing midnight launch for this one.

Mmmm Pork!

Piko
11-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Saw two reviews. Both didn't like the characters or the story. They say the game is fun though. Maybe I'll be in the minority. Apparently, outfits aren't really customizable either. That's a bummer.

Mmmm Pork!

Jinsai
11-29-2016, 01:30 AM
The problem for me so far is that this feels like a JRPG version of the modern western RPG... I can't claim to judge it yet, but that feels weird

Piko
11-29-2016, 02:17 AM
Not sure if I'd consider that a problem. But, I definitely get that vibe as well.

Mmmm Pork!

Space Suicide
11-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Played a bit briefly before stopping to make food and watch The Flash. I made it to the first camp. I'm loving it so far. Exceptional.

xmd 5a
11-29-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm up to Chapter 2. I really love how alive the world is. The combat feels like an improved version of Lightning Returns'. Overall, I'm very impressed so far.

Piko
11-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Chapter 3. Got to Lestallum. Holy shit. It amazes me how you can have a huge city full of people within an open world. So much detail.

My timing is a little off in combat when defending. But, I'm having an absolute blast with this game.

My main gripe is the camera during combat. It has a habit of getting out of focus and I'm not able to really see what's going on. Focusing on an enemy does away with it. A little annoying though.

Always something to do. I've mostly been doing side quests. Just taking it all in.

Mmmm Pork!

Piko
12-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Not sure if I mis-leveled or what. Lvl 22 and I'm getting wrecked in combat. Am I missing something or should I start over?

Mmmm Pork!

Wretchedest
12-01-2016, 01:46 PM
So... As a big fan of 7, 8, 10, and thirteen and story basis how is this stacking up?

liquidcalm
12-03-2016, 05:10 AM
It is... pretty good!
The combat is the worst thing, its not terrible, but its just.. a bit messy, for every good idea there is a button mapped just a little bit wrong or a system that doesn't quite get explained right. buuuuut..
The world, the driving about, even the characters, the rest stops, the town (I'm only in Ch3) feel like Final Fantasy. The landscape is open, but feels more like an actual place than most open world games, the music! oh the music is stunningly good. The story, like most FF games, is a bit.. naff, but really that is never FF's strong point, but the cast is good and you do start liking them after a few hours.
So best game since.. X? XII? IX?! It's light years ahead of FFXII that is for sure. I hope the combat gets better, either through progression or even a patch..

Piko
12-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Just reached chapter 6. Still feels a little early to compare to older games. Better than XII though ; ). I'm in the minority of people who liked XIII, it seems. I probably won't compare games until I finish or get closer to completion.

World is vast. A massive fuck ton of things you can do. Combat took a lot of getting used to. But, I'm finally getting it. Gotta think more defensively this time around. Camera is a little wonky. That's really my main gripe so far though.

liquidcalm
12-10-2016, 10:03 AM
On chapter 8 now. 40 hours on the clock. Even if it turns into garbage after this point (which seems to be a risk with most games these days) 35 hours of that was the best Final Fantasy since the PSX era, 3 hours was me getting annoyed at a dungeon and 2 hours was the intro. This is a good game.

Piko
12-10-2016, 10:20 AM
About 30 hours in and just hitting chapter 8. Definitely a good game.

Jinsai
12-11-2016, 12:04 PM
I like how they're setting up Noctis like this sort of Prince Hal sort of character. Kind of awesome

Piko
12-11-2016, 01:54 PM
At the end but feel very underpowered...

xmd 5a
12-11-2016, 07:59 PM
I finished it (and toppled the Adamantoise) over the weekend. Kind of wish they fleshed out some of the areas you visit from Ch. 10 onwards. Chapters 12 and 14 could've been incredible if you were actually allowed to explore the environments.

Piko
12-11-2016, 08:16 PM
What lvl were you when you finished. Hit 14 as lvl 40. Struggling.

xmd 5a
12-12-2016, 03:34 AM
I finished with Noctis at 70 and the others at 68. The last chapters were a breeze. Adamantoise was pretty easy too (despite taking 1.5hrs to beat). Hardest part of the game was the Costlemark Dungeon (optional Royal Arms location).

Best way to level up is craft a spell with 7 or 8 Rare Coins infused. You get about 10000 exp per cast. Then sleep at the Galdin Quay hotel for a 2x bonus.

Kodiak33
12-12-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm really liking this, I didn't know what to expect from early impressions and everything. It really is a fun game, the combat kind of reminds me of Dragon Age 2 (or Inquisition), but in a good way.

Piko
12-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Well shit... I might have screwed up. Sold all of my rare coins... Who knows what else I sold. Figured it was nothing. How bad did I screw up?

liquidcalm
01-30-2017, 01:50 PM
I finally finished this over the weekend. Gosh, I did not enjoy that ending. Went a bit too FF13 at the end. BUT, it doesn't stop the fact that the whole middle section is excellent, and if I get time, I'd really like to do some of the post-game stuff. But yeah, it felt more of an obligation to finish it than anything else.
I might be being a little harsh, but I finished the Last Guardian the night before and that had a masterful ending that played into everything great about the game, FFXV on the other hand felt like it was reaching for something that missed the point of the middle section.

theburningreptile
02-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Digging it so far, haven't played an FF, since X. The world is beautiful to look at. I love the characters already. I sick at fishing though. That cat is going to starve to death before I can catch the right one.

kdrcraig
02-22-2017, 06:44 AM
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-21488-A-King-s-Tale--Final-Fantasy-XV-Goes-Free-For-Everyone-In-March.html

Don't know much about it but A King's Tale is going to be free on PS4 and Xbone in March. Guess it was a pre-order bonus from some retailers. I haven't bought XV, don't think I have time for a FF right now, but I'll play a short, free FF beat 'em up.

Jon
04-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Anyone trying out (or going back to) Final Fantasy XIV now that they've removed the 14-day limit from the trial?

Getting ready to dive-in as WoW has been driving me nuts the past few months.

Piko
04-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Anyone trying out (or going back to) Final Fantasy XIV now that they've removed the 14-day limit from the trial?

Getting ready to dive-in as WoW has been driving me nuts the past few months.
I've been debating on whether or not to go back. I'm a little behind. Missed the last two or three updates. No clue what the expansion adds or anything either.

Jinsai
04-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Final Fantasy XV is a game that had so much potential and completely fucked it up in the final act. Oh man... I still can't believe how awfully the story was delivered, or how terrible and forgettable the final battle was. It went from being a game that I loved, despite some minor quibbles here and there, to being "WTF is this shit?!"

I even watched the movie (the one with all the story that they excised and put all the CG budget into), and then started to feel that maybe I was coming closer to understanding what the fuck was going on...

I still don't get it though, and I'm kind of mad. Also, the end-game content was so lazily slapped together it's laughable. All those weird doors in the dungeons that you're curious about? You get the key to open them, and then you get the WORST level design ever.

Piko
04-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the story was poorly executed. Luckily, the gameplay and the world made up for it.

I didn't have a major problem with chapter 13 as much as some. The change in style was pretty abrupt and out of place though.

There's a good story there. They just missed the mark and failed to capitalize on what they had. Too many potholes. Some were intentional for the season pass...

I might replay so I can see what the new patch did.

Jinsai
04-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah, the story was poorly executed. Luckily, the gameplay and the world made up for it.

I didn't have a major problem with chapter 13 as much as some. The change in style was pretty abrupt and out of place though.

There's a good story there. They just missed the mark and failed to capitalize on what they had. Too many potholes. Some were intentional for the season pass...

I might replay so I can see what the new patch did.

The story just didn't need to be so convoluted and spread across different mediums. Honestly, I'm not even sure I understood what the central villain's motivation was...

Piko
04-02-2017, 05:23 PM
The story just didn't need to be so convoluted and spread across different mediums. Honestly, I'm not even sure I understood what the central villain's motivation was...
I got that. It was everything leading up to the revelation of who the bad guy is and why he does what he does.

Jon
08-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Final Fantasy XV out for PC early next year...looks fucking beautiful. (hopefully XII announcement soon as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmPkYomz3I

Here's the official 4K "Ultimate Quality & Beyond..." video from NVIDIA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0o3fctwXw0) (posted today).

liquidcalm
08-22-2017, 12:14 PM
While I'm not holding my breath, this has the potential to be really good (and maybe get it on Switch Squenix?!) http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/08/22/final-fantasy-xv-is-getting-an-adorable-mobile-adaptation
A 'greatest hits' / lets fix the story pace version of FFXV would get me to actually engage in the world a bit more than I did on PS4.

ton
10-27-2017, 04:52 PM
XII HD is pretty damn good. Makes up for the disappointing XV, in a way.

Piko
10-27-2017, 04:56 PM
I messed up pretty bad when choosing my classes. Gonna start over, eventually...

Kodiak33
01-13-2018, 08:05 AM
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6559-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-launches-for-pc-on-february-1-with-60fps-support-and-other-additions

Yes!

elevenism
01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon.
I was looking at footage from the later titles and I just couldn't fucking believe how different and bad ass they look.
So I have a ps 3 now and I'm wondering: is there a really good one for PS3? Also, what are the best ones in general up to PS3? I'm thinking I can probably get a lot of them on the PS store. I'm ready for the future, 20 years late

Piko
01-20-2018, 12:43 PM
So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon.
I was looking at footage from the later titles and I just couldn't fucking believe how different and bad ass they look.
So I have a ps 3 now and I'm wondering: is there a really good one for PS3? Also, what are the best ones in general up to PS3? I'm thinking I can probably get a lot of them on the PS store. I'm ready for the future, 20 years lateThere's only really one for ps3 (FFXIII and it's sequels). PS2 era had FFX (considered one of the best) and FFXII (one of my least favorites).

A lot of people aren't crazy about FFXIII. They feel it's too linear (which is true) and whatever other issues they have with it. I think it's great. Extremely fun battle system with a pretty cool, consistent story. Visually amazing as well.

XII feels bland and lifeless to me. A lot of people enjoy it though.

The visuals for the newer games post-first nine have been absolutely amazing while other aspects end up lacking. Something is missing in these games. XV is a very fun game but the story was lacking (a lot of it because of dlc purposes). Final fantasy visuals are probably the only real consistent thing now.

Rant over.

Dr Channard
01-20-2018, 02:34 PM
and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon. ...

Is that a PSN version, an emulator, or the original PS discs?

VII had a lot going for it in 1997. Certain elements of VII have not aged gracefully, but it still has a good experience to offer, for those who have the patience. Another great series entry was FF Tactics. There is probably a following that would champion FF IX over VII. IX is probably more reminiscent to the pre-VII era games but with considerably better graphics as it came out nearing the end of the original PlayStation lifespan.

I personally found FF X and XII both to be so-so. Got about 20 hours into FF 13, put it down and haven't played any new series titles since.

elevenism
01-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Is that a PSN version, an emulator, or the original PS discs?

VII had a lot going for it in 1997. Certain elements of VII have not aged gracefully, but it still has a good experience to offer, for those who have the patience. Another great series entry was FF Tactics. There is probably a following that would champion FF IX over VII. IX is probably more reminiscent to the pre-VII era games but with considerably better graphics as it came out nearing the end of the original PlayStation lifespan.

I personally found FF X and XII both to be so-so. Got about 20 hours into FF 13, put it down and haven't played any new series titles since. this is the PSN version.
Thanks for the tip on FF IX.
I mostly only play NES and Super NES games, so if it was good in 97, I'll probably dig it now.
The reason I didn't get into it is that I was initially put off by the 3D graphics.
I was the same way about Zelda and have just started playing Ocarina of Time, which has really impressed me

Dr Channard
01-20-2018, 08:56 PM
I mostly only play NES and Super NES games, so if it was good in 97, I'll probably dig it now.
The reason I didn't get into it is that I was initially put off by the 3D graphics...

FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.

Piko
01-20-2018, 09:03 PM
FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.Probably would've been better as 2d sprites imo. Not sure how the world would've been though.

elevenism
01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.
So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?

Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

I think I have that one on the old emulator

Dr Channard
01-21-2018, 12:48 PM
So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?

To this day I adore everything about the game because of nostalgia, but objectively yes, by today’s standards the character model graphics are very dated, the prerendered environmental backgrounds are still fine. By today’s standards, I’d guess many people would find the battle system antiquated and a chore to get through. And the game is fairly linear both in map progression and narrative, with only a few side quest options. No voice acting, and some very long battle animations, especially for summons. Maybe too many interchangeable characters that are underdeveloped.

Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

I think I have that one on the old emulator

I only had the PS FF Tactics. Probably also pretty easy to find on an emulator.