Speculated song titles

Aegis
The Malking Jewel
Molochwalk
The Whip Hand
Zed And Two Naughts
In Absentia
Trinkets Pale Of Moon
Mountains of Avarice (or something similar)
Noctourniquet
Dyslexicon
Lurking About In A Cold Sweat (this may be an older title for In Absentia, not sure)

think i'm a fire engine
01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
It's about time.

aggroculture
01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Cool. Octahedron was brilliant. Here's hoping the ATDI reunion doesn't dampen TMV's future.

cicatriz
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm sure it'll be nothing more than a tour.

EDIT: "Lurking About In A Cold Sweat" is a song from one of Omar's solo albums. Which shouldn't be surprising, considering a lot of the songs that show up on newer Volta albums first started on Omar's solo albums (Goliath comes to mind). It's actually from the same album that the "demo" for "Goliath" came from.

Wretchedest
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I have my doubts about Lurking about...
but also, now that ATDI is back alive methinks some of those ORLG songs from last year might surface as ATDI songs. I could be totally off base, but so many of those sounded more like ATDI than Volta.

Wretchedest
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Bump and double post for :

Album title! Noctourniquet

Album art is floating arouns too... but on my phone atm.

ghostaustin
02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm sure any of you who are interested have already heard this clip, but here it is anyway:
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/02/preview-the-mars-voltas-the-malkin-jewel-single-due-feb-14/

Obviously, it sounds a lot different from past Volta songs, but I'm really excited about it! I don't think they'll disappoint

edit:
ah, flaccid member... clever....

PhoenixML
02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
The Malkin Jewel!! http://www.themarsvolta.com/the-malkin-jewel/

First half is a little bit weird, second half IS TOTALLY FUREAKING AWESOME!!

I don't expect anything from this album. I'm just very happy something new is coming. And I'll be very please to listen to the new album.

everythingandnothing
02-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Does anyone happen to have a link to the pre-order download of the new song? You'd be the coolest person if you did.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-14-2012, 01:50 AM
I couldn't get into their last album for the life of me. I'm liking what I am hearing so far from the new material so far since it is pretty different in a weird way. Nice to see the new album coming out and At the Drive In getting back together. Excited!

Harry Seaward
02-14-2012, 02:45 AM
The Malkin Jewel!! http://www.themarsvolta.com/the-malkin-jewel/

Holy browser killer, Batman!

think i'm a fire engine
02-14-2012, 03:39 PM
It's weird.

Jinsai
02-14-2012, 04:01 PM
well, the new song is probably the most interesting thing I've ever heard from them. I'm not a very big Mars Volta fan, and the song starts out in a way that reminds me why I don't really like them... wonky noodling guitar on top of spastic drumming... it just sounds like one of those "shreds" videos at first. Still, as it goes along it gets interesting, and the whole Beatles-esque breakdown is pretty cool.

Either way, I'd much rather see At the Drive In stay reunited and make another album.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Either way, I'd much rather see At the Drive In stay reunited and make another album.

This.

The new song has grown on me a bit though. Maybe they will throw some curve balls on this one.

Jinsai
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I actually really like this Malkin Jewel track. I'm authentically shocked by how good it is. And I've never been a fan.

tireless.mind
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
totally TMV > ATDI, no question
however it's been hard for me to really like any of their stuff post-Frances The Mute (which totally obliterated me). those guys take alot of listening for me to understand it. Frances took me like four years to understand. a year later i blew an unfortunate amount of money to get it on vinyl.

new song isn't really doing it for me, but give me a long time.

poinoup
02-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Finally went to the site and listened to Malkin Jewel, and I'm liking it. I really haven't been into TMV since The Bedlam in Goliath, but the quirkiness of this song has my interest peaked for the album.

bobbie solo
02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
i bailed out after Frances too. those first two records are killer, but this band turned to shit quickly for me after that.

on a semi-related note, i wish One Day As A Lion would tour.

andreas
02-23-2012, 01:19 AM
I think I'm the only Volta fan who loved the last album.

you are not. i think it's brilliant.

and it's been horrible, waiting for their next album so long, but fortunately the wait is almost over. w00t

hopefully they'll go for a long tour with that, i'd love to see them live again

andreas
02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
yeah, ballsy as hell. the song itself is very lyrical, and adding the intro to that... it's so uncompromising and unapologetic. just brilliant - from the very first seconds the album grabs you and pulls you into some magical place, you don't want to leave

as for radiohead, i tend to group their albums. like: kid A/amnesiac and in rainbows/king of limbs are for me two sides of the same avenue. and i walk along the first one way more often

Wretchedest
02-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Zed and Two Naughts leaked by medium quality rip.... check it out!

Like it more than malkin jewel for sure.

Wretchedest
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Drip Drip!

RJK
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Can you shoot me a PM with a link?

Wretchedest
03-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Link I had got got... :/ sorry I'll scout for another one.

PQHooligan
03-02-2012, 02:14 AM
I have an almost 750MB version, and if you check the regular spot, you'll find it too

The Doctor
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I still don't know what to think of the new album. It definitely rewrites the book on what Mars Volta is and does. It's gonna take a couple of listens to "get it." Digging it fairly well tho...

Seems like I'm in the minority tho, many are already saying it's their best since Frances. Don't know if I'm in that camp...

poinoup
03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm liking this album. Still really enjoying "Malkin" and "The Whip Hand" is just tremendous.

I'm going to be hanging with a few other fans this weekend who are less "leak-savvy" than me, I can't wait to see their faces when I spring this on them.

Mantis
03-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd say it's their best album since Amputechture and I was a big fan of Bedlam. It doesn't sound like anything they've done or like anyone else, really. post-hardcore influenced progressive neo-soul ftw? The synths on this kick ass too, especially the Wendy Carlos-esque bit in the title track.

those watery guitars on Imago, AHHH

EDIT:
Damn this thing is cohesive.

ViN
03-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm really feeling the new Mars Volta album. It's up there with Deloused in the Comatorium and The Bedlam in Goliath for me. Far better than Octahedron and almost reminds me of the At the Drive In days at times.

PhoenixML
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Frances the Mute is probably one of the best album I've ever heard in my life. I do enjoy listening to the other Mars Volta albums. Bedlam took me years to "appreciate". Octahedron is a little bit boring, but I do love half of it.

The new one, I'm not really into it. It definitely has less energy than what little I was expecting. I really like the single and the last song. It's not bad, just not exciting.

think i'm a fire engine
03-10-2012, 01:35 AM
It's not bad. It's kind of cool that it has a different flavor than what you're used to. It just doesn't floor me the way the first 3 records still do when I put them on. The last thing Omar put out that I LOVED was the El Grupo Nuevo album.

Babali
03-11-2012, 04:01 AM
Love The Mars Volta, addicted to this record.

Harry Seaward
03-26-2012, 04:02 AM
I'm not a gigantic fan of them or anything, and I've only semi-recently started listening, but I dig the new record quite a bit. Listened to it in the dark with headphones the other night, and it just kinda 'clicked'. I also recently read that Cedric is a Scientologist, and that this record is somewhat influenced by Scientology. I don't particularly care though, it seems to make for some rad story-writing.

Babali
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Dont think Cedric's a Scientologist, just borrows a lot from it and lots of other things. He absorbs a lot, his wife is a Scientologist and he just may be one now but I doubt he'd be your conventional Scientologist.

think i'm a fire engine
03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I haven't listened to them much since Amputechture, but I'm digging the new album. It's different, but it has captured my attention in a way the last few albums didn't.

Hazekiah
03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I've only seen them live once -- opening for A Perfect Circle in Chicago in '04 -- but they KICKED ASS, and I bootlegged the show (http://www.fileswap.com/dl/RgfIwslKmh/The_Mars_Volta_2004-04-16.mp3.html) to prove it!

Big ups to gladcarrot for re-upping my master in better quality, btw!

And the sound clears up about 10 minutes in as I move closer to the stage, incidentally...it's a bit muddy till then, sorry. It was an enclosed arena with weird acoustics in certain places and I had to keep my mic low to get past security before finding wading through the masses to find a good spot in the back of the pit, which took about 10 minutes. Pretty nice quality after that, though.

But then the sound goes wacky again right at the end when they blast out one last song all of a sudden while Cedric throws a red hot stagelight into the crowd, still plugged in and beaming out wildly in the crowd's hands, just to help get things moving and close the show on a high note, lol.

Anyway, great show. Wish I hadn't still been such a n00b at the time and had managed to record it better, but it's still quite listenable anyway. Especially if you already know the songs. Speaking of which, they play almost a full hour and it's only three songs,* unless I'm mistaken. Haha...damn.

Enjoy!

*If anyone wants to work up a super-detailed setlist with super-accurate time-stamps that would be great!

Madmya
03-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Funnily enough, this album HASN'T grabbed me like previous albums. Having said that, I rate Deloused only above Octahedron when it comes to their discography.

It just feels really obvious Cedric is doing the lyrics himself now, it's a little jarring for me.

everythingandnothing
03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
It just feels really obvious Cedric is doing the lyrics himself now, it's a little jarring for me.

What are you talking about? Cedric has always been the sole lyricist in the band. I've read in an article that one of the main reasons this album took so long to come out was because Cedric was taking so long to come up with lyrics to the music.

wizfan
03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Huge fan of this band since 2008. I remember reading a review for Bedlam back then, so I put on "Aberinkula" and I immediately jumped. "What the hell is that? Are my speakers broken?" The way this album just BANGS and Cedric puts out a high-pitched note wasn't really the best way for me to be introduced to this band. Or maybe it was, because I kept listening to this album and I found myself enjoying it more and more. I became addicted to their discography since then.

I only listened to Noctourniquet once. It felt... difficult. Then again, that seems to be the case with all Volta albums; it takes a while to really get into them and enjoy them. I was kinda weirded out the first time I heard Octahedron (with headphones, in almost complete darkness), but, after repeated listens, I loved it. I believe this will be the case with the new album. I'm so glad the band hasn't succumbed to pop appeal and continues making weird, complex, but still entertaining music.

PhoenixML
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I couldn't listen to Bedlam in Goliath. Too much was going on, I didn't understand the songs, there were way too many to digest. I was still figuring out the three first albums and Octahedron came out and it was easier to listen to. Not all good, but I half of it (4 out of 8?) was pretty good.

Oddly enough, just as Noctourniquet is coming out, I'm listening to Bedlam, and it's quite good! I prefer listening to it than Noctourniquet. It's not top notch Mars Volta, but I find it more interesting. Who knows, in three years, I'll prefer Noctourniquet to a new album. Awesome!

My favorite tracks of Noctourniquet : The Malkin Jewel, Zed and Two Naughts, In Absentia and Vedamalady.

Wretchedest
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I couldn't listen to Bedlam in Goliath. Too much was going on, I didn't understand the songs, there were way too many to digest.

All specifically some of the reasons why I LOVED Bedlam when it birst came out.

Harry Seaward
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Radiohead

You lost me there. I consider Radiohead one of the most overrated bands I've ever heard.

Babali
03-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I never understood why this band gets shit on so hard. The fan base has these retarded expectations of this band that are just absurd. Its always '' its not the first album'' or '' fuck I miss at the drive in' Meanwhile Thom Yorke and co can literally shit into a tuba and its pure genuis. I don't get it.

The Mars Volta are one of what I call the three pillars left in music. There used to be four but he left to destroy angels. Radiohead, Queers of the stone age and Volta are all holding up the their end of the bargain of being the best bands in the world. Yet for some reason The mars volta fans are retarded. Their worse than tool fans which is saying something. No wonder Omar and Cedric will never give a straight answer and just mock their fan base.

The new album is fucking amazing. Goddamn is it good. every album they bring out is so different from the last album which is what you want a band to do, evolve. Their are moments on this album my jaw dropped. Track number four(never remember the names of volta tracks as their so weird) could be the best song they have ever written. Track 7 is unreal. The point is this album is clearly amazing, unique and refreshing.

When I listen to it I picture a man with a mental illness laying on his couch in a dirty apartment, watching old episodes of the original Dr. Who. Lonley yet hauntingly beautiful.Hell yeah!

PhoenixML
03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
I never understood why this band gets shit on so hard. The fan base has these retarded expectations of this band that are just absurd. Its always '' its not the first album'' or '' fuck I miss at the drive in' Meanwhile Thom Yorke and co can literally shit into a tuba and its pure genuis. I don't get it.

"Radiohead fans" liked The King of Limbs?

eversonpoe
03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
a lot of my australian friends are HUGE radiohead fans and they all loved TKoL. i have listened to it four times and it just hasn't gotten better. i like two of the eight songs ok...the rest of it i could do without.

littlemonkey613
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
^ I adore TKOL :)
Especially live.

Anyways, I really dig this new Mars Volta album as well. Psychedelic and awesome.

Madmya
04-20-2012, 06:54 AM
I put it below Octahedron. Having said that, some songs are exceptionally good and probably better than anything on Octahedron, but overall... nah. I feel like I've listened to it enough to fully realise this now. By no means do I wish this wasn't in their catalogue though, but yeah, just didn't reach the dizzying heights like the others for me.

The Doctor
04-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Long time Mars Volta fan here. I actually love every single one of their albums. This one took me more listens to get into than any of their previous albums but once it grabs you, it's quite powerful.

And I agree, they are one of the best bands in rock right now. And that most of their fans are demanding & far too critical and unfair.

Here's my review of Noctourniquet for your reading pleasure: http://ourvinyl.com/the-mars-voltas-lp-noctourniquet/

PhoenixML
06-19-2012, 01:29 PM
An official 15-minute live version of The Malkin Jewel!?? Oh.Just.Wow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWQTLs00VzU

Madmya
06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
What are you talking about? Cedric has always been the sole lyricist in the band. I've read in an article that one of the main reasons this album took so long to come out was because Cedric was taking so long to come up with lyrics to the music.

Yeah, but I was under the impression that Omar would sort of oversee the writing process and for this album he let go completely. There's an interview somewhere about it, possibly Rolling Stone but those jerks want me to pay money to read it.

That video above rocks by the way. Love it.

Wretchedest
07-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Omar has been back to his formerly abundant self lately. Today he released his fourth album in 4 months, conplete with absurdly trippy artwork:
http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/octopus-kool-aid

Lately hes been on this electronic/industrial kick. As ever, his sound design is top notch. The only guy to rival him in that field I think is Old Man Reznor. I can only dream of whatever collaboration theyd have. Itd be either the best thing ever, or devolve into a pissing contest and never get off the ground. And theyd release it 6 years from now or just suddenly whenever they want.

october_midnight
01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Looks like The Mars Volta is no more. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/01/r-i-p-the-mars-volta/)

DVYDRNS
01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/24/sury8ane.jpg

BenAkenobi
01-24-2013, 05:35 AM
cat-ers gonna cat-e

onthewall2983
01-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Not surprised. It always seemed like something that would have a short shelf-life.

henryeatscereal
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Not surprised and not worried, they will do another project with almost the same musicians and call it a different band, i just hope Cedric's group doesn't have the same fate as Sparta...

Wretchedest
01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Huh. They announced an indefinite hiatus a few months ago, but i gyess were at the point where theyre being blunt. Damn...

In the meantime Omar just released 3 records. The best of which is Woman Gives Birth to Tomato... maybe his best work...

I feel like this is a long time coming in some ways, the bands live perolformances were becoming increasingly spiritless.
And Bosnian Rainbows isnt so great so far..... waiting to hear some studio stuff.

richardp
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
I was glad to see Cedric subtly slam Omar for his extremely boring and luckluster performance during the ATDI reunion shows.

The Doctor
01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I was glad to see Cedric subtly slam Omar for his extremely boring and luckluster performance during the ATDI reunion shows.

Considering Omar's mother had just died and that was the reason for his lackluster performance, this is actually the one instance that seems like a dick move on Cedric's part to slam him for this. Give him hell for giving up on Mars Volta and focusing on Bosnian Rainbows, sure, but don't give a man a hard time for being depressed because his mother just died.

Should they have rescheduled the dates until he felt better yes. But still...

NotoriousTIMP
01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
This saddens me :( TMV put on one hell of a show and now I will never see them live again :(

DVYDRNS
01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Nevermind.

NotoriousTIMP
01-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Does you saying "I fucking hated this band" add anything to this thread? If you didn't like them then why bother posting something like that?

DVYDRNS
01-24-2013, 03:33 PM
because it made me laugh. and this is the internet.

But I'm sorry if I made you mad.

Wretchedest
01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Here's some timing for you:
The first studio Bosnian Rainbows song.
http://bosnianrainbows.bandcamp.com/track/torn-maps

Wretchedest
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Here's some timing for you:
The first studio Bosnian Rainbows song.
http://bosnianrainbows.bandcamp.com/track/torn-maps

Like I said, not great...

richardp
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Considering Omar's mother had just died and that was the reason for his lackluster performance, this is actually the one instance that seems like a dick move on Cedric's part to slam him for this. Give him hell for giving up on Mars Volta and focusing on Bosnian Rainbows, sure, but don't give a man a hard time for being depressed because his mother just died.

Should they have rescheduled the dates until he felt better yes. But still...

At first yeah, but after a certain point that becomes irrelevant. He was a bump on log the entire performance at Lollapalooza which was like 5 full months after that happened.

blackholesun
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Wasn't Omar the one that said he was doing it strictly for the money?

Anyway, I was never a huge Volta fan, but these guys make plenty of music otherwise. And yeah Bosnian Rainbows is kinda meh. I've had a few friends going bonkers on them but I dig their touring mates Marriages (with members of Red Sparowes) more.

eversonpoe
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
I dig their touring mates Marriages (with members of Red Sparowes) more.

i saw them open for Russian Circles last year (i went to the show for both bands and also ended up falling in love with Chelsea Wolfe) and they were amazing.

Madmya
01-25-2013, 08:03 AM
This is sad. Some of the best live shows I've ever seen were Mars Volta shows. Still, I think every band has an expiry date and we got some awesome albums from them.

Maximilian
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Oh, well. I dug them.

bobbie solo
01-27-2013, 03:25 AM
checked out after Frances The Mute. whatever semblance of actual songs being written disappeared after that and band turned to shit. This whole group of ATDI clowns seem like a bunch of self-absorbed assholes who can't see the forest for the trees.

Jinsai
01-27-2013, 03:33 AM
this last album was the first thing that piqued my interest, so it's sad that they're breaking just as they're making music that I actually like.

Wretchedest
02-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Bosnian Rainbows released another song today, Turtle Neck, and it's actually really great. Torn Maps is starting to grow on me too. can't wait to hear some more!

october_midnight
05-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Cedric's new band is officially called Zavalaz (https://www.facebook.com/zavalazmusic) and the first live dates are already up.

Wretchedest
06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
The Rainbows album leaked today. It's pretty good so far! Definitely worth temporarily halting your repeat plays of "Came Back Haunted"

Maul
07-21-2013, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJHr1EYf0E

This Thomas guy is a beast.

ZeroSum
08-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Unsurprisingly, the band had a lot of recorded material that was never officially released.... and some of it has surfaced.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/28275/Mars-Volta-Demos-Revealed/ (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/28275/Mars-Volta-Demos-Revealed/)

Don't know about you all, but this ought to make the wait for Hesitation Marks a little easier to handle. Haven't heard any of this yet (currently downloading) but it has gotten positive reactions everywhere I've looked. I'm stoked.

fillow
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Saw Bosnian Rainbows live at pukkelpop last week. They did pretty much the whole album. It's awesome! (Just leave your love for Mars Volta at home, they are really different).

Go see them! If you did not fall in love with their singer by the third song, I swear there's something wrong with you. Things she does on stage are amazing.

ZeroSum
08-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I already love Bosnian Rainbows just based on the album, and I have heard amazing things about the live show. Haters are missing out.

Maul
04-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I think this is worth posting.
http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/04/mars-volta-antemasque/

fillow
04-09-2014, 03:13 AM
Can we start countdown to the point when this transforms into TMR reunion?

PhoenixML
04-09-2014, 08:11 AM
New single (of Antemasque) out today called 4am.
http://bit.ly/1g6Qktd

I... don't know what to think yet.

eversonpoe
04-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I think this is worth posting.
http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/04/mars-volta-antemasque/

from those bits, it sounds a lot more like at the drive in than the mars volta...and i'm AOK with that...

Maul
04-09-2014, 05:21 PM
New single's catchy and I like it. I'm happy that they're on good terms again. If Mars Volta reunites,so be it. If not,I'm digging the stuff so far.

Digital Twilight
04-09-2014, 05:55 PM
I like this. Good to see them working together again and I do hope The Mars Volta will come back one day but at the same time i'm happy we're getting something different from them. Talented guys for sure.

Wretchedest
04-09-2014, 10:46 PM
I like the single ok. Very obviously a ATDI throwback so...

I'm just wondering what are the circumstances here? The end of TMV was a very well publisized feud between Cedric and Omar. Omar at one point made comments about not wanting to collaborate with John Frusciante any more because he didn't like the RHCP audience it attracted. Omar's solo work has vanished from Sargent House. It seems like something crazy bad happened around that guy... So, how did this even happen? What?

I have this pet theory about Omar's frustrated drive for the breakthrough hit album. Where he keeps pushing closer and closer to accessibility, because his previous work just didn't sell so well. This seems like another validation of that theory. They seem to be sponsored by Volcom...?

Madmya
04-10-2014, 09:37 AM
I dig the new song, Cedric is great on it.

Digital Twilight
04-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Second song:

http://www.stereogum.com/1675077/antemasque-hanging-in-the-lurch/mp3s/

Maul
04-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Third track, People Forget. Pretty cool.
http://antemasque.bandcamp.com/track/people-forget
This guys might release all the stuff they've recorded if they keep up with this pace.

millhouse
04-13-2014, 09:18 PM
I am fucking loving these tracks. However, it seems they've pulled their bandcamp, so I'm stuck with the crappy iTunes copies I've just bought in a rush.

Anyone want to PM a guy and help him out with the bandcamp FLACs?

Maul
04-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Apparently,if you buy the first three singles you get the fourth one and the new album for free two weeks prior to release.(July). The same applies to Butcherettes and the Tremulant EP remaster.
http://nadiesound.com/album/antemasque

The fact that they are using the Mars Volta fb page and even use Mars Volta material for promotion kinda hints their reunion in the future,right? I feel like they're going to work on MV stuff again but they don't want to hype it up for the sake of promoting Antemasque.

PhoenixML
04-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Tremulant Remaster? Interesting.

(here's the link for those who'll ask WHERE??? http://nadiesound.com/album/tremulant-ep)

The Doctor
04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
The fact that they are using the Mars Volta fb page and even use Mars Volta material for promotion kinda hints their reunion in the future,right? I feel like they're going to work on MV stuff again but they don't want to hype it up for the sake of promoting Antemasque.

I don't think it necessarily means Volta are coming back. It just makes sense to use channels where your built-in fanbase already exists to let them know about something new that they might not know about if the band started from scratch. Certainly can't blame them for that. Plus Omar re-releasing the Volta catalog remastered is exciting in its own right. I just hope they use the opportunity to remaster as a chance to get rid of clipping and compression that plagues many Volta releases and release a truly dynamic presentation of the recordings, now that they're free from record label and radio pressure to conform to a certain sound/volume.

I lurk around the Volta message board, The Comatorium, and word over there from those close to the guys is that Antemasque is the focus for Ced & Omar for the foreseeable future and if Volta does happen in the future, it will be years later with a couple of live shows for fans, ala At The Drive-In in 2012.

Maul
04-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Good point. The fact that they are in good terms with each other leaves that door open though.

gerbil
04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Man, I gotta admit this project is fantastic.

It's just fun in a way that TMV hadn't been in awhile.

implanted_microchip
05-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Uhm, anyone aware of this?

http://www.discogs.com/Mars-Volta-De-Loused-In-The-Comatorium/release/5655882

Apparently there's a re-release of De-Loused on vinyl coming out? Any word on it?

NotoriousTIMP
05-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Old news :) you should come check out the vinyl thread where we've been talking about this release :)

It's getting the gold repressing as we'll as a silver repressing (both LE) and then a standard black edition repress

eversonpoe
05-05-2014, 08:01 AM
yeah, i pre-ordered the silver pressing and i'm quite excited.

i'm a little worried about that site (shop radio cast), though...i ordered two of The Dear Hunter's records from them about three weeks ago, and my account just says "shipped" but offers no tracking option...and they haven't arrived yet. has anyone ordered from them before?

NotoriousTIMP
05-05-2014, 10:05 AM
I've ordered from them before and sadly they are known for shipping delays, but you do get your items eventually

The Doctor
06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Just bought my tix to see Antemasque in San Antonio and Austin! Anybody else going to catch them? Do you think they'll play only new songs/covers or do you think we'll get any ATDI/Mars Volta songs? As much as I'd love to hear some old songs, I have a feeling they probably won't do that...

And for those that bought the singles, the album should come out next week! Very excited...

Madmya
07-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Antemasque has dropped for those who preordered.

Madmya
07-01-2014, 07:53 AM
After a couple of listens I definitely prefer Mars Volta - I know I'll get bored of this quickly. It's a decent album though, Providence is a ripper.

gerbil
07-01-2014, 08:04 AM
This is an entirely different kinda beast. I think fans of At The Drive-In are gonna dig this more than TMV fans. Luckily I'm a fan of both :)

The Doctor
07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Still waiting on my pre-order download email, but getting antsy... PM anyone?

Madmya
07-02-2014, 12:19 AM
I think you had to do more than just preorder, like buy one of the reissued Tremulant EP or Le Butcherettes.

It's definitely a different beast, and I am a fan of both TMV and ATDI, I just think both are better. This is by no means bad though.

eversonpoe
07-02-2014, 12:39 PM
just got my 180g blue/white marbled amputechture in the mail! #0414/1250 :D

http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10514093_1437388619870522_364181530_n.jpg

seasonsinthesky
07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
still cannot believe these MOV reissues are unofficial. i swear they only do legit licensing, so Universal must have opted for the contracts and left the band out of the equation (like The Downward Spiral and the Dream Theater catalogue, though DT seem to have purposely licensed to Brookvale so the label just did the others). i guess the vinyls are more like... semi-official. wish they'd hurry up and do Frances! that's at the top of my list and has been since 2005!

gerbil
07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I think you had to do more than just preorder, like buy one of the reissued Tremulant EP or Le Butcherettes.

It's definitely a different beast, and I am a fan of both TMV and ATDI, I just think both are better. This is by no means bad though.

You had to buy the 4 songs that were available at the preorder.

MONKEYlovesYOU
07-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened between Omar And Cedric? Cedric threw a hissy fit on twitter and got all 8th grade emo girl on Omar bitching about TMV then they decide it's all gravy and make a NEW BAND and NEW ALBUM and do a mini tour? Seriously, like they have the most dysfunctional love-hate relationship.

Can't say I really dig Antemasque and I have tried really hard. I have a special place in my heart for TMV and always will. I even once stole Cedric's phone number from a groupie I used to know and stored it in my phone and called him from *67. He never answered and his voice mail greeting was kinda weird. I shoulda left a message. I lost that phone a few days later. Karma is a bitch.

When I meet Jon Theodore next in a few weeks I'm gonna ask him who is the woman in the relationship between Omar and Cedric :p

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
I even once stole Cedric's phone number from a groupie I used to know and stored it in my phone and called him from *67. He never answered and his voice mail greeting was kinda weird. I shoulda left a message.

You are one weird fuck!

Madmya
07-06-2014, 12:57 AM
I don't know exactly what happened, but apparently Cedric told Omar to get over his mother's death already. Something along those lines, I don't know the whole story. At least we got many good albums from TMV. A break may be good, they'll come back to it I reckon.

think i'm a fire engine
07-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I pulled out Cryptomnesia the other day for kicks. It was definitely pretty cool. This Antemasque stuff is just okay.

I don't get their reluctance to focus on the TMV moniker. Cryptomnesia was for all intents and purposes a TMV album. So is this Antemasque. So was the Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Group when they toured on the Nocturniquet songs before the actual album release.

ghostaustin
07-06-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm digging Antemasque, but the song 50,000 Kilowatts sounds like some sort of bad stock rock music. Yet, despite my cringing during the song, I keep coming back to it. Probably for the bridge.

I must also throw in my hopes for a new Mars Volta album at some point. My favorite albums by them are Amputecture and Bedlam, so something crazy and sprawling would be awesome! Although I understand and appreciate their desire to change things up and go in a different direction on the last two albums, I thought they fell a bit flat

eversonpoe
07-07-2014, 08:30 AM
When I meet Jon Theodore next in a few weeks I'm gonna ask him who is the woman in the relationship between Omar and Cedric :p

uh, neither, because they're both men? :: eye roll ::

Madmya
07-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I reckon they take turns.

The Doctor
07-07-2014, 09:55 AM

As someone who has followed them pretty closely (tho not number stealing closely), this was my understanding of what happened:

* Cedric got married, to a lady who is heavy into Scientology, which drove a wedge between him and Omar. People seem to think she filled Cedric's head with ideas of Omar hogging all the credit and not giving his fair due. Cedric had kids with this lady, which has also taken up his time.

* Omar became involved in Les Butherettes, and while never confirmed, it seems like he has/had a relationship with the singer, Teri Gender Bender. This leads to them forming Bosnian Rainbows together.

* Due to writer's block, family life, etc. it took Cedric 2 years to write the lyrics to Noctourniquet. When it was finally done, Cedric was fired up and ready to go into full-on Volta mode. Warner Brothers sat on the new Volta album for a long time, wanting to time the release "just right" for promotion or some such bullshit, which i know is bullshit b/c there was little to NO promotion, radio play or anything for the album. Unfortunately, Omar, frustrated with Warner Brothers and Cedric, and being super infatuated with Teri, toured Bosnian Rainbows instead of putting any promotion into Nocto or doing any Volta tour dates.

* This causes Cedric to sit on his ass while Omar tours, etc. He gets grouchy, pouty about it, which is probably exacerbated by his wife. Cedric blows and has a hissy fit on twitter, essentially quitting/breaking up the band due to his impatience with Omar focusing on other things.

* Cedric starts his own band, Zavalaz, does a few tour dates in SoCal.

* Somewhere in there, the two sort out their differences, hang out socially, then record Antemasque.

That's more or less what happened, according to all of the nerds on the Volta message board. ( I lurk there cuz I'm a Volta nerd too)
Though there's another theory that says that the two of them felt trapped in their Warner Bros. contract with Mars Volta and staged the whole messy break up thing to get out of their contract, which is why they got back together and invented a new band. I don't really buy into this theory tho.

Oh, and Cedric was never angry about Omar grieving his mother. In fact he verbally attacked some people who talked shit about Omar b/c of his lackluster performance during the time. So that definitely doesn't have anything to do with it.

So there you have it.

Madmya
07-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Good post, muchly appreciated!

TheyCallMeDrug
08-25-2014, 01:42 PM
more antemasque tour dates:

10-02 Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
10-03 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkweg
10-04 Dortmund, Germany - Visions Westend Festival @ FZW
10-06 Berlin, Germany - Bi Nuu
10-07 Hamburg, Germany - Markthalle
10-09 Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik
10-10 Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland - L'Amalgame
10-11 Paris, France - Gaite Lyrique
10-13 Brighton, England - Concorde 2
10-14 Leeds, England - Brudenell Social Club
10-15 London, England - Electric Ballroom
10-31 Monterrey, Mexico - Pal Norte Rock Festival
11-03 Mexico City, Mexico - Circo Volador
11-05 Washington, DC - Rock & Roll Hotel
11-06 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
11-08 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Bowl
11-09 New York, NY - The Bowery Ballroom
11-11 Boston, MA - Middle East Downstairs
11-12 Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
11-14 Toronto, Ontario - Mod Club
11-15 Detroit, MI - Magic Stick
11-16 Chicago, IL - Metro
02-21 Adelaide, Australa - Soundwave Festival
02-22 Melbourne, Australia - Soundwave Festival
02-28 Sydney, Australia - Soundwave Festival
03-01 Brisbane, Australia - Soundwave Festival

henryeatscereal
08-25-2014, 04:57 PM
*attending* !!!

Maul
10-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Isiaiah Ikey Owens, former keyboardist was found dead in Mexico during the Jack White tour. Another sad day for music.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/jack-whites-keyboardist-isaiah-ikey-owens-found-dead-in-mexico/

think i'm a fire engine
10-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Isiaiah Ikey Owens, former keyboardist was found dead in Mexico during the Jack White tour. Another sad day for music.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/jack-whites-keyboardist-isaiah-ikey-owens-found-dead-in-mexico/

wtf, noo

The Doctor
10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Post a picture of the vinyl itself!

just got my 180g blue/white marbled amputechture in the mail! #0414/1250 :D

http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10514093_1437388619870522_364181530_n.jpg

The Doctor
10-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Also, I'm completely heartbroken by the news of Ikey. He's been one of my favorite keyboardists both in his work with Volta and Jack White. RIP.

Listening to Deloused in his honor.

r_k_f
10-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Guy was amazing..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=winrJIBqX_I

eversonpoe
10-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Post a picture of the vinyl itself!

a picture of the blue/white amputechture vinyl, as requested, and also featuring my Animal (the muppet) slippers.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/c07d1c4de15dedfb710efc109ad4647b/tumblr_ndjkibHTAQ1qzcvl5o1_1280.jpg

Maul
10-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Drugs and alcohol were found in his room but only marijuana was found in his system. He had a heart attack that was the cause of his death.

http://lbpost.com/news/2000004635-long-beach-musician-ikey-owens-found-dead-in-mexico-hotel-room-jack-white-cancels-tour-due-to-passing

Digital Twilight
12-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I've just listened to the debut album for the first time in a few years. Such a brilliant piece of work, so colourful and vibrant. I love the new Antemasque record but I hope it's a gateway for these producing under this umbrella again. Only seen Mars Volta once and I would love to do it again.

Maul
12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I would love to catch Antemasque on tour since I enjoy their debut album a lot. But I don't want to die without watching TMV play. That would be so perfect.

eversonpoe
05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
finally found an affordable* copy of Frances The Mute on vinyl through discogs. the price still hurt a bit, but at least i'll finally own it. : /

*$100 in NM condition. the cheapest i had seen previously was $130 for VG condition. seller also paid for shipping, which was very kind.

eversonpoe
05-10-2016, 09:43 AM
it came! it finally came!

http://67.media.tumblr.com/a51b898540b0ee862458836787d8b98d/tumblr_o6yron5Xjj1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

the mars volta - frances the mute
3xLP with etched side F
<3 <3 <3

not quite as NM as the seller described, but still in pretty good shape.

The Doctor
05-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I love Frances the Mute and it's such a nice piece of vinyl.

Getting to see "Cassandra the Gemini" in concert on that tour was one of the most epic things I've ever witnessed.

I miss the Mars Volta...sigh.

seasonsinthesky
05-10-2016, 10:24 PM
I fucking saw one of those for real in front of my face for $80 when a local independent opened up last year. Should have pulled the trigger. Now it's gone.

They had YZ too. Bastards.

october_midnight
07-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Putting it here I guess...

Omar is releasing twelve albums, every two weeks, for the rest of 2016. (http://pitchfork.com/news/66639-omar-rodriguez-lopez-at-the-drive-in-the-mars-volta-announces-12-new-albums/?mbid=social_facebook)

Harry Seaward
07-08-2016, 02:30 AM
I fucking saw one of those for real in front of my face for $80 when a local independent opened up last year. Should have pulled the trigger. Now it's gone.

They had YZ too. Bastards.

This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MARS-VOLTA-Frances-The-Mute-LTD-3XLP-BLACK-VINYL-Tri-Fold-Jacket-NEW-/262464738406

Rdm
07-08-2016, 02:38 AM
This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MARS-VOLTA-Frances-The-Mute-LTD-3XLP-BLACK-VINYL-Tri-Fold-Jacket-NEW-/262464738406

This looks to be a bootleg or an unofficial release. I wouldn't buy this

quoted from the auction "THE MARS VOLTA - FRANCES THE MUTE(Unofficial)"

seasonsinthesky
07-08-2016, 02:55 PM
This looks to be a bootleg or an unofficial release. I wouldn't buy this

quoted from the auction "THE MARS VOLTA - FRANCES THE MUTE(Unofficial)"

Perhaps that was the point (that it's a bootleg).

However, it was $80 CAD. And I had no way to verify it wasn't a boot. Could very well be. However, another indie shop in this city gladly gave me like $20 for my Heligoland mint LP and sold it for $50, so I'd hardly put it beyond the store I saw Frances to price it much lower than what it's actually worth.

The Doctor
07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
In-depth new interview with Omar on Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/omar-rodriguez-lopez-on-epic-solo-album-series-new-at-the-drive-in-lp-20160711).

The pertinent TMV-related tidbit:

You mentioned Mars Volta earlier in your list of projects you'd like to revive. Do you have plans to put out another Volta album eventually?
At some point, we'd love to do [Mars Volta] again too, you know what I mean? There's so much to do there as well. Obviously now we're focused on At the Drive-In and making this record great and touring. Jon Theodore is doing Queens of the Stone Age right now. There are only four surviving members of the real Mars Volta, which is Eva Gardner, the original bass player who gave us all our soul but unfortunately had to leave the band because her father died on the second tour; Ikey Owens, who, of course, isn't with us anymore; Jeremy Ward, who isn't with us anymore; and Jon Theodore. Jon and Eva are still alive, and we're so grateful for that. And any true fan of the band knows that's the real chemistry right there. Whenever we get to that time, we hope that it all lines up with whatever Jon's doing and whatever Eva's doing, because she's been touring with Gwen Stefani. I just have a feeling it will. Life has a funny way of working out that way.

So...someday? I'll take it.

PhoenixML
08-12-2016, 01:12 PM
So, any fans of the new ORL solos? Loving the new Blind Worms Pious Swine, haven't really tried the 2 others (yet).

https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/

Wretchedest
08-13-2016, 07:13 PM
In-depth new interview with Omar on Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/omar-rodriguez-lopez-on-epic-solo-album-series-new-at-the-drive-in-lp-20160711).

The pertinent TMV-related tidbit:

You mentioned Mars Volta earlier in your list of projects you'd like to revive. Do you have plans to put out another Volta album eventually?
At some point, we'd love to do [Mars Volta] again too, you know what I mean? There's so much to do there as well. Obviously now we're focused on At the Drive-In and making this record great and touring. Jon Theodore is doing Queens of the Stone Age right now. There are only four surviving members of the real Mars Volta, which is Eva Gardner, the original bass player who gave us all our soul but unfortunately had to leave the band because her father died on the second tour; Ikey Owens, who, of course, isn't with us anymore; Jeremy Ward, who isn't with us anymore; and Jon Theodore. Jon and Eva are still alive, and we're so grateful for that. And any true fan of the band knows that's the real chemistry right there. Whenever we get to that time, we hope that it all lines up with whatever Jon's doing and whatever Eva's doing, because she's been touring with Gwen Stefani. I just have a feeling it will. Life has a funny way of working out that way.

So...someday? I'll take it.

the shade on Juan Alderete is real. He was the Volta bassist for, oh, the entirety of the bands life just about, but let just act like he wasnt.... what?

new ORL stuff is great. as always. 12 albums this year is something else.

PhoenixML
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I have no idea where to post this:
http://pitchfork.com/news/68747-crystal-fairy-melvins-at-the-drive-in-announce-debut-album-share-new-song-drugs-on-the-bus-listen/?mbid=social_twitter

armogi
10-06-2016, 01:10 AM
I have no idea where to post this:
http://pitchfork.com/news/68747-crystal-fairy-melvins-at-the-drive-in-announce-debut-album-share-new-song-drugs-on-the-bus-listen/?mbid=social_twitter

In the Melvins thread!

Bachy
09-29-2017, 10:50 PM
I sure do miss this band.

onthewall2983
09-29-2017, 11:35 PM
I listened to all of "Cassandra Gemini" recently by coincidence. Such a killer track.

Bachy
09-29-2017, 11:39 PM
I listened to all of "Cassandra Gemini" recently by coincidence. Such a killer track.

I’ve had them on shuffle the last hour. I forgot how much I loved “L’via”

acrid avid jam shred
10-30-2017, 04:27 AM
Every TMV record rules. Just gave The Bedlam in Goliath a listen for the first time in ages, and it's gloriously energetic and crazy. Might be my top MV album just ahead of FTM and Amputechture.

eversonpoe
10-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Every TMV record rules. Just gave The Bedlam in Goliath a listen for the first time in ages, and it's gloriously energetic and crazy. Might be my top MV album just ahead of FTM and Amputechture.

agreed, except i just really don't like noctourniquet. it's...boring. putting out a boring album is the worst sin a band can make, in my opinion. i'd rather have a bad album than a boring album.

acrid avid jam shred
10-31-2017, 03:24 AM
I remember being really underwhelmed by that record and Octahedron when I listened to them for the first time. They took ages to grow on me, compared to the other albums. Now, I like how they both contain a more restrained approach to the band's sound. I'd love to hear what another MV album would be like!

eversonpoe
10-31-2017, 08:21 AM
I remember being really underwhelmed by that record and Octahedron when I listened to them for the first time. They took ages to grow on me, compared to the other albums. Now, I like how they both contain a more restrained approach to the band's sound. I'd love to hear what another MV album would be like!

oh, i LOVE octahedron. it may be my favorite of their albums, actually. it was anything but boring, which is why noctourniquet was so disappointing when it came out. oh well :/

rampface
10-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Octahedron is my least favorite. Feels like a b-sides album. I still enjoy it but it's not the one I would go far if I'm in the mood for TMV. Frances and Bedlam are definitely the best. I like Noctourniquet more than most. The tracklist is bloated but I dig what they were going for.

Harry Seaward
03-21-2018, 06:02 PM
You guys heard Omar's cover of Ellie Goulding's 'Lights'?

It's kinda fucking awesome imo. (https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/track/lights)

pulse
03-21-2018, 08:50 PM
You guys heard Omar's cover of Ellie Goulding's 'Lights'?

It's kinda fucking awesome imo. (https://orlprojects.bandcamp.com/track/lights)

Yeah that's a fucking brilliant cover.

The Doctor
04-26-2018, 10:38 AM
I've been drifting back towards listening to Mars Volta again, and did a little research to discover the version I have of the "Summer Demo Sessions" (pre Deloused) from 2002 is missing Televators. I also learned there's apparently a "Summer Demo Session" and a "Winter Demo Session." Can anybody with one or both hook me up with a PM? It's weird, I'm so used to just streaming these days I don't even know where to find downloads anymore.

THANKS!

Bachy
05-10-2018, 08:36 PM
I’m biased as all hell, but I’d say Deloused in the Comatorium has one of the top 100 album intros of the last 20 years with “Son Et Lumière” + “Intertiatic ESP.”

ickyvicky
01-24-2020, 08:55 AM
" (https://www.stereogum.com/2071019/cedric-bixler-zavala-danny-masterson-dog-scientologists/news/?fbclid=IwAR1-8V9fkAJPvvNGl78rS61a6n5b4UnJuubXm9bl8345qijeC6fwJQ 5jIHA)Mars Volta Singer Says His Dog Was Killed By Scientologists Protecting (https://www.stereogum.com/2071019/cedric-bixler-zavala-danny-masterson-dog-scientologists/news/)That ’70s Show (https://www.stereogum.com/2071019/cedric-bixler-zavala-danny-masterson-dog-scientologists/news/?fbclid=IwAR1-8V9fkAJPvvNGl78rS61a6n5b4UnJuubXm9bl8345qijeC6fwJQ 5jIHA) Actor" (https://www.stereogum.com/2071019/cedric-bixler-zavala-danny-masterson-dog-scientologists/news/?fbclid=IwAR1-8V9fkAJPvvNGl78rS61a6n5b4UnJuubXm9bl8345qijeC6fwJQ 5jIHA)

rampface
01-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Juan is in a coma. This fucking sucks. I hope he makes it out of this

r_z
01-26-2020, 02:00 PM
wow, didn't know about that scientology thing.

not cool.

brotha52
06-26-2020, 03:52 AM
This is likely the first post-TMV content from Omar I'ved been interested in hearing.

https://youtu.be/KOz9-jGgLbM

Wretchedest
06-26-2020, 03:56 AM
This is likely the first post-TMV content from Omar I'ved been interested in hearing.

https://youtu.be/KOz9-jGgLbM

He has a ton of really great post-tmv material (depending on how you define that.)

I listened to this today and it was remarkably boring. I do t know what the hell happened to this guy

brotha52
06-26-2020, 10:12 AM
He has a ton of really great post-tmv material (depending on how you define that.)

I listened to this today and it was remarkably boring. I do t know what the hell happened to this guy

I've just found most of his output to be too experimental and without enough structure to be listenable.
This release is the most digestable, for better or worse.

PhoenixML
02-23-2021, 01:54 PM
https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1364125648642580481
Cloud Hills aquired all of ORL back catalogs, including solo, Antemasque and De Facto. "On top of that we are working on a partnership with Wise Music Group to manage the publishing of prog-rock legends The Mars Volta".

Tremulant EP will be released on streaming services this friday (the remaster is still available on bandcamp).

A couple of "happy gif" about repressings too.

wight rabbit
02-23-2021, 03:43 PM
https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1364125648642580481
Cloud Hills aquired all of ORL back catalogs, including solo, Antemasque and De Facto. "On top of that we are working on a partnership with Wise Music Group to manage the publishing of prog-rock legends The Mars Volta".

Tremulant EP will be released on streaming services this friday (the remaster is still available on bandcamp).

A couple of "happy gif" about repressings too.

Oh, shit! Does this mean I can finally own a copy of "De-Loused..." on vinyl that won't cost an arm and a leg???

tony.parente
03-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Oh, shit! Does this mean I can finally own a copy of "De-Loused..." on vinyl that won't cost an arm and a leg???

Nope (https://cloudshillshop.com/collections/the-mars-volta/products/the-mars-volta-la-realidad-de-los-suenos-vinyl-box-set)

But i did get in a little argument with Cedric on Cloud Hills instagram and he did everything but say they made the box set to fund individual repressings.

wight rabbit
03-12-2021, 02:02 PM
Nope (https://cloudshillshop.com/collections/the-mars-volta/products/the-mars-volta-la-realidad-de-los-suenos-vinyl-box-set)

But i did get in a little argument with Cedric on Cloud Hills instagram and he did everything but say they made the box set to fund individual repressings.

Holy shit! That set looks fantastic, though!

virushopper
03-26-2021, 12:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a446HE-fmm4

kas23
03-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Did someone say box set?

Jinsai
03-28-2021, 04:27 PM
the sample definitely sounds pretty awesome...

edit: Honestly this feels really strange, but I'm running through their albums again for the first time in a long time, and I really love all this. I'm not sure what was putting me off before.

eversonpoe
03-28-2021, 04:53 PM
the sample definitely sounds pretty awesome...

edit: Honestly this feels really strange, but I'm running through their albums again for the first time in a long time, and I really love all this. I'm not sure what was putting me off before.

i love literally everything they released except "noctourniquet". i just found that album boring and uninspired, which is a pretty weird thing to say about the mars volta.

Jinsai
03-28-2021, 04:55 PM
i love literally everything they released except "noctourniquet". i just found that album boring and uninspired, which is a pretty weird thing to say about the mars volta.

Weirdly, that was the only one that I really loved before... Though I just listened to a bunch of stuff that I don't remember really impressing me before, and it's blowing my mind in spots. The Tremulant EP in general is incredible. I'm starting to wonder if I ever sat down and actually listened to that before. It definitely isn't sounding familiar.

fillow
03-28-2021, 05:10 PM
I want Omar to revive some of side projects so bad... Bosnian Rainbows and Antemasque albums were amazing. I need more.

RJK
03-28-2021, 06:24 PM
I want Omar to revive some of side projects so bad... Bosnian Rainbows and Antemasque albums were amazing. I need more.Isn't there a whole Antemasque album that they finished and never released?

Jinsai
03-29-2021, 09:08 PM
well, now that I've gone through their discography and some live bootlegs, I feel I can say I was just pretty much wrong about not liking them before.

eversonpoe
03-29-2021, 09:35 PM
well, now that I've gone through their discography and some live bootlegs, I feel I can say I was just pretty much wrong about not liking them before.

what was your favorite album?

for me it's a tie between Octahedron & De-Loused

Jinsai
03-29-2021, 09:40 PM
Francis the Mute or the the Tremulant EP probably, though as far as album cuts go I’d still say Malkin Jewel is my favorite moment

tony.parente
04-28-2021, 10:10 AM
So sandbag is handling distribution for the box set and the Facebook group I’m in looks like ETS circa 2017. How are they still a business lol

tony.parente
05-07-2021, 08:36 AM
The entire studio discography is now on vinyl individually on unlimited pressings. Shipping is 'free' worldwide, but you're still having to pay $65 for francis the mute lmaoooooo

https://us.cloudshillshop.com/collections/the-mars-volta

Wretchedest
05-07-2021, 11:47 AM
Those shirts are all rad and I don't know which one I want

eversonpoe
05-07-2021, 11:59 AM
The entire studio discography is now on vinyl individually on unlimited pressings. Shipping is 'free' worldwide, but you're still having to pay $65 for francis the mute lmaoooooo

https://us.cloudshillshop.com/collections/the-mars-volta

i'm sorry why are these all $50-$65???

tony.parente
05-07-2021, 12:04 PM
i'm sorry why are these all $50-$65???
Deviations: The Mars Volta Edition. Which is fine because i'll get these for an affordable price the way i got deviations for an affordable price. Wait and get it used on discogs a few months later lol

eversonpoe
05-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Deviations: The Mars Volta Edition. Which is fine because i'll get these for an affordable price the way i got deviations for an affordable price. Wait and get it used on discogs a few months later lol

i mean to be fair i paid more than that for most of them when i bought pressings off discogs but still...there's no way it should be that much for most of them.

thefragile_jake
05-07-2021, 01:12 PM
lolol those prices are ridic

wizfan
05-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Re-listened to Noctourniquet after many years and I enjoyed it a lot more than I used to. I had forgotten how catchy some of its hooks were; they were hidden inside my brain and immediately popped up now. My enjoyment back then was tainted by the fact that so many people had left the band by the time the album was out (seriously, Omar plays almost everything on that record). Though I still miss Ikey, I noticed many more interesting synth ideas by Omar this time around. My favorite will always be The Bedlam in Goliath for a number of reasons. Octahedron and De-Loused are excellent, Tremulant is great, Frances the Mute is a beast of a record that I still haven't fully deciphered, never got into Amputechture (though I love Asilos Magdalena and Viscera Eyes). Very curious to listen to Landscape Tantrums, which is up on Spotify now. And I'm tempted to give Amputechture another shot after all those years.

Jinsai
05-24-2021, 06:48 PM
yeah, the vinyls are all pretty much 50% too expensive, but whatever, I just said fuck it and bought the new Deloused vinyl, Tremulant, Noctourniquet, Fances the Mute, and I'll need to cut down on how much weed I smoke for a bit I guess.

Jon
05-24-2021, 07:02 PM
yeah, the vinyls are all pretty much 50% too expensive, but whatever, I just said fuck it and bought the new Deloused vinyl, Tremulant, Noctourniquet, Fances the Mute, and I'll need to cut down on how much weed I smoke for a bit I guess.

Praying for you to randomly get 5 copies of each release.

wight rabbit
05-25-2021, 02:09 PM
Ordered De-Loused. I've wanted that for a long time, so I'm justifying the $60 tag, especially since it's a double LP. It also seems to be remastered FOR vinyl, which could be hit or miss, but I'm happy to know the attention is there.

Wretchedest
05-26-2021, 03:41 PM
Looks like ORL Sargent House material is finally on streaming services

AndItKeepsRepeating
05-26-2021, 03:52 PM
$400 is alot for just 6 records (i only ordered the LPs) but god damn I've been waiting for these for so long I don't even care

wizfan
06-06-2021, 10:02 AM
For some reason Cotopaxi (and most of Octahedron, really) had disappeared from my head, because I hadn't listened to it for almost a decade. So, I pressed play. Now I'm singing Cotopaxi all day for two days straight. Help.

rampface
06-08-2021, 10:41 PM
For some reason Cotopaxi (and most of Octahedron, really) had disappeared from my head, because I hadn't listened to it for almost a decade. So, I pressed play. Now I'm singing Cotopaxi all day for two days straight. Help.

Listen to Amputechture again. Day of the Baphomets...

Jon
06-09-2021, 10:38 AM
01. Frances The Mute
02. Amputechture
03. De-Loused In The Comatorium
04. The Bedlam In Goliath
05. Octahedron
06. Noctourniquet

Sorry, not sorry. I honestly feel like I listen to Bedlam more than Comatorium, even...

henryeatscereal
06-09-2021, 12:16 PM
1. De-Loused In The Comatorium
2. Frances The Mute
3. Amputechture
4. The Bedlam In Goliath
5. Noctourniquet
6. Octahedron

But, it's been ages since i listened to the last 3 albums, this might change...

eversonpoe
06-09-2021, 06:39 PM
octahedron
de-loused
amputecthture
bedlam
frances

noctourniquet

FIGHT ME

Wretchedest
06-09-2021, 08:00 PM
I think noctournaquet has aged very gracefully compared to almost anything else on their discography. It's very well done and very earnest. I revisit it more than any other Volta album, all though I come back to the orl solo stuff the most.

I'm surprised not to see much love for Bedlam on this thread. I think it's one of their best, it's very cohesive and ambitious and very large.

It's hard for me to make a list of these albums. Also, the sound on all of these is so muddy! I hope they get a proper remaster some day, it's pretty bad. Special shout out to Tremulant EP for being perfect. Octahedron stands out as the worst to me, the only thing especially great being the line "the solution inhaled from the rag I hold holds a maximum vacancy."

Deloused
Bedlam
Frances
Noctournaquet
Amputechture
Octahedron

AndItKeepsRepeating
06-09-2021, 10:13 PM
I think noctournaquet has aged very gracefully compared to almost anything else on their discography. It's very well done and very earnest. I revisit it more than any other Volta album, all though I come back to the orl solo stuff the most.

I'm surprised not to see much love for Bedlam on this thread. I think it's one of their best, it's very cohesive and ambitious and very large.

It's hard for me to make a list of these albums. Also, the sound on all of these is so muddy! I hope they get a proper remaster some day, it's pretty bad. Special shout out to Tremulant EP for being perfect. Octahedron stands out as the worst to me, the only thing especially great being the line "the solution inhaled from the rag I hold holds a maximum vacancy."

Deloused
Bedlam
Frances
Noctournaquet
Amputechture
Octahedron

I agree with this list. And about Bedlam…it’s easily my favorite album of their and the most fun to listen to. But Deloused is definitely the best

shame I spent all the money I did on these albums if they sound that muddy. Oh well what’s done is done

Jinsai
06-10-2021, 12:01 AM
why does nobody mention the Tremulant EP? That's probably my favorite thing they've done. I get that it's a little shorter than some of their other music, but it's its own thing, and I think it's awesome and the vinyl just showed up today.

wizfan
06-10-2021, 02:43 PM
Reposting my comment from Fantano's TMV tier list:

S: Bedlam, Frances
A: De-Loused, Octahedron
B: Noctourniquet (I hate its production so much that I almost gave it a D, but damn if it doesn't have some of the catchiest hooks in their discography)
C: Amputechture (I promised rampface that I'll listen to it again, so maybe I'll end up changing it to an A or S, idk)

I'm not putting Tremulant EP anywhere because it's 30% songs and 70% Omar and/or Ikey fucking around with stock Yamaha keyboard sounds. Therefore, it's above an S. In fact, it is the greatest release in music history, and putting it in any tier list wouldn't do it justice.

Jinsai
06-10-2021, 05:00 PM
I'm not putting Tremulant EP anywhere because it's 30% songs and 70% Omar and/or Ikey fucking around with stock Yamaha keyboard sounds. Therefore, it's above an S. In fact, it is the greatest release in music history, and putting it in any tier list wouldn't do it justice.

It's beautifully clueless and powerful af

seasonsinthesky
06-10-2021, 05:32 PM
I love Tremulant. Every second of it. Beep-boops included. It took me a while to get here, though.

Wretchedest
06-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Dude there's like 2 minutes of fuckery on Tremulant

Jinsai
06-11-2021, 11:22 AM
fuckery > music

AndItKeepsRepeating
09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
So I just got my copy of Amputechture and gave it a spin - enjoyed it way more than I did last time I listened to it a decade ago. Especially enjoyed the locked grooves at the end of side A and D, B and C not so much.

Regardless, much better album than I gave it credit for in retrospect. Autistic child or not. Also super excited for Bedlam in Goliath, which was my favorite back then and I've listended to alot since!

Wretchedest
06-19-2022, 04:49 PM
Seems like there's some new music imminent, TMV social media posted some coordinates that I guess lead to some fancy box where people can sit one at a time and listen to a new song. First impressions of the song on Reddit don't exactly hype me, but I'm curious to hear what they come out with.

stankeybearlover
06-20-2022, 02:58 AM
From what I've been able to hear it sounded like a continuation of Noctourniquet, but with the spacey vibes replaced with latin vibes. I'm excited to hear what more they'll be able to bring, but I don't expect an extravaganza in the vein of the first four albums.

virushopper
06-20-2022, 11:12 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VCvfL2K.jpg

Courtesy of Reddit.

stankeybearlover
06-20-2022, 07:39 PM
The line-up of this iteration of TMV in addition to ORL and CBZ reportedly are:
- Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez: keys
- Eva Gardner: bass
- Willy Rodriguez-Quiñones: drums

I guess it was to be expected that Juan isn't returning. Cool that they could get Gardner back!
Not familiar with the drummer, but him and ORL worked on latin pop album together before.

Wretchedest
06-20-2022, 11:06 PM
https://youtu.be/FTC3BkK-WUE

RJK
06-20-2022, 11:55 PM
Music video
https://youtu.be/rYAR6bpf85Q

Link tree
https://themarsvolta.lnk.to/BlacklightShine

RJK
06-21-2022, 12:05 AM
Lyrics from the Bandcamp page

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220621/23ccc9a85ffbcd78cfc77ac865462d21.jpg

ZeroSum
06-21-2022, 01:30 AM
This is such a good single, imo. It makes me so excited for the album... or... whatever it's a part of??

bobbie solo
06-21-2022, 02:45 AM
https://c.tenor.com/BbAt2_vOS44AAAAC/seinfeld-jerryseinfeld.gif

ghostaustin
06-21-2022, 09:02 AM
I enjoyed the song itself, it's got a great groove, but it seemed like all the other tribal drum stuff wasn't really related to the song. I kept waiting for the song to kick back in and it just didn't.

That said, I'm still very excited that they're back and working on new material!

RJK
06-21-2022, 09:16 AM
Tour dates! Pre-sale Wednesday public Friday! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220621/9feab0688e5ab7c68ef29dcb15de7193.jpg

Jon
06-21-2022, 09:54 AM
I enjoyed the song itself, it's got a great groove, but it seemed like all the other tribal drum stuff wasn't really related to the song. I kept waiting for the song to kick back in and it just didn't.

The single is 2:55. Legit has 7 minutes of tribal drumming not a part of the song...

PhoenixML
06-21-2022, 10:33 AM
New album + "title" confirmed from bio:
https://www.axs.com/events/439042/the-mars-volta-tour-tickets?skin=terminal5

It's going to be a self-titled album.

edit: the text was changed since then.

Jinsai
06-21-2022, 11:19 AM
well, I've changed my mind about the Mars Volta more completely and more often than I have with almost any other mainstream rock band from the past thirty years, so I'm just going to wait to hear it on the album... because the track on first listen, I'm not sure what to make of it.

I think it's very likely that the long extended drum section is something that's in the video but might not necessarily appear in that form on the album. My speculation there is based on absolutely no concrete information or anything though, so... Until we know more

PhoenixML
06-21-2022, 03:13 PM
Or you know, the song is 2:55 on every streaming platform.

acrid avid jam shred
06-21-2022, 10:30 PM
I'm digging the new track! I love how groovy and percussion-focused it is, and Cedric sounds great. It definitely sounds like it's one of their most melodic and psychedelic tracks ever! Very excited to hear the new record.

Mr. Blaileen
06-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Looks like I'll be making yet ANOTHER three hour drive to Chicago this year for a show...thankfully it's on a Saturday, at least. The Aragon Ballroom sound sucks ass, though.

Haven't seen Volta since they were opening for A Perfect Circle. Pumped!

RJK
06-22-2022, 11:24 AM
Looks like I'll be making yet ANOTHER three hour drive to Chicago this year for a show...thankfully it's on a Saturday, at least. The Aragon Ballroom sound sucks ass, though.

Haven't seen Volta since they were opening for A Perfect Circle. Pumped!I'll be at the Chicago show!

Mr. Blaileen
06-22-2022, 09:00 PM
Nice! I hope the setlist is varied- checking out the last shows they were playing before they stopped, the set was 90% Noctourniquet. I don't hate the album, but there's a lot of stuff I'd like to see.

RJK
06-22-2022, 09:55 PM
I'm just honestly happy that I finally get to see them live

Mr. Blaileen
06-23-2022, 10:31 AM
I feel that as well. Last time I saw them I had no idea who they were and kinda hated them, which is unfortunate as it was during the 'De-Loused' era...

bobbie solo
06-24-2022, 01:22 AM
They added second shows in SF NYC & LA. First shows all sold out instantly I think.

Also, listen to this instead of the new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l7Ix-LfSBA

RJK
07-08-2022, 10:16 AM
https://themarsvolta.lnk.to/GraveyardLoveIN

They super obnoxiously added a Milwaukee show after I bought Chicago tickets. Ugh maybe I'll do both

ghostaustin
07-08-2022, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJtsRHEdoo
Pretty interesting style for TMV. I'm wondering, with the short lengths and abrupt endings of the two singles, if the songs will run together and feel like a cohesive thing

Wretchedest
07-09-2022, 12:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJtsRHEdoo
Pretty interesting style for TMV. I'm wondering, with the short lengths and abrupt endings of the two singles, if the songs will run together and feel like a cohesive thing

It feels like it's building up to something that doesn't pay off, so I'm wondering if this is more of an ORL split track thing. I hate when he does it, but he never really stopped. So maybe one song across a couple of tracks.

Mr. Blaileen
07-09-2022, 10:18 AM
They have a Milwaukee date on sale now. I'm grateful for the chance to get to see them again, but it's so common for a band to announce a show in Wisconsin after I've already bought the Chicago tickets. So so common...

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-09-2022, 12:12 PM
I'm digging the new tracks, but have a feeling they are exactly what they are and won't feel anymore cohesive. I hope they prove me wrong, but they seem like one and done to me.

Mr. Blaileen
07-26-2022, 04:35 PM

01 – “Blacklight Shine”
02 – “Graveyard Love”
03 – “Shore Story”
04 – “Black Condolences”
05 – “Vigil”
06 – “Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon”
07 – “Cerulea”
08 – “Flash Burns From Flashbacks”
09 – “Palm Full Of Crux”
10 – “No Case Gain”
11 – “Tourmaline”
12 – “Equus 3”
13 – “Collapsible Shoulders”
14 – “The Requisition”

Jon
08-05-2022, 10:41 AM
Here's "Vigil":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQCMNYTVBmA

Mr. Blaileen
08-05-2022, 01:50 PM
Interesting change of direction for these guys. I'm not minding it, but a lot of the internet is hating it. The new single is interesting, tempted to listen multiple times but I generally like to avoid that these days until the album comes out.

stankeybearlover
08-05-2022, 02:33 PM
For those not in the know about the band's private lives. Cedric and his wife used to be Scientologists. His wife is who turned him on to the cult. They started to distance themselves from the cult when his wife started to open up about the abuse (incl. sexual) she'd had to endure for years. Among others by that one guy from That 70s Show. They are out now. This song - and allegedly the entire album - refers to this ordeal.

Jon
08-05-2022, 11:05 PM
For those not in the know about the band's private lives. Cedric and his wife used to be Scientologists. His wife is who turned him on to the cult. They started to distance themselves from the cult when his wife started to open up about the abuse (incl. sexual) she'd had to endure for years. Among others by that one guy from That 70s Show. They are out now. This song - and allegedly the entire album - refers to this ordeal.

I got the strong sense upon first listen to "Vigil" that was definitely the case (at least for that track); will have to go back and engage the rest more meaningfully.

After several singles, it seems apparent this record is an "evolution", so to speak, in their sound. I have no doubt this will have its share of 5–9 minute songs, however, either way is not a deal-breaker in this case (for me).

EDIT: Spoke too soon:

Blacklight Shine (00:02:55)
Graveyard Love (00:03:14)
Shore Story (00:03:15)
Blank Condolences (00:03:27)
Vigil (00:03:14)
Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon (00:01:41)
Cerulea (00:03:45)
Flash Burns From Flashbacks (00:02:38)
Palm Full Of Crux (00:03:36)
No Case Gain (00:02:41)
Tourmaline (00:03:34)
Equus 3 (00:04:09)
Collapsible Shoulders (00:02:24)
The Requisition (00:04:12)

TOTAL ≈ (00:44:45)

Wretchedest
08-05-2022, 11:44 PM
The last single definitely felt like it was about that. It's a great concept and subject for the album, but the music is missing me by a mile. It's fine if they want to be "different" but they're really now only different from themselves and more like everyone else. I'd rather it be a different different.

bobbie solo
08-06-2022, 03:08 AM
Vigil is awful. Stop being polite people. All the released songs are awful. Sound nothing like what anyone wants from this band.

stankeybearlover
08-06-2022, 08:21 AM
Rumor has it Equus 3 might be this song that leaked years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUFMxCZlXhc

Mr. Blaileen
08-06-2022, 09:57 AM
Vigil is awful. Stop being polite people. All the released songs are awful. Sound nothing like what anyone wants from this band.

I’d love for you to enlighten me as to what I want to hear from this band.

I’m enjoying the change of pace, honestly. It's not my favorite thing they've done or anything, but I’m not bumping into it that much. I’ve always liked subdued Volta.

Regarding the above video, that wouldn’t shock me..the track lengths have me leaning towards believing that rumor.

RJK
08-06-2022, 11:43 AM
I love "Graveyard Love" just something about it that connects with me

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-06-2022, 04:26 PM
I'm liking the feel of these tracks; seems a bit more intimate and I can dig it. I do hope that the album sounds like a cohesive piece, and not just a bunch of songs thrown together.

Also, being half Puerto Rican, I connected a lot with Graveyard Love so I guess it just hits different for me.

Kodiak33
08-07-2022, 10:31 AM
I got the strong sense upon first listen to "Vigil" that was definitely the case (at least for that track); will have to go back and engage the rest more meaningfully.

After several singles, it seems apparent this record is an "evolution", so to speak, in their sound. I have no doubt this will have its share of 5–9 minute songs, however, either way is not a deal-breaker in this case (for me).

EDIT: Spoke too soon:

Blacklight Shine (00:02:55)
Graveyard Love (00:03:14)
Shore Story (00:03:15)
Blank Condolences (00:03:27)
Vigil (00:03:14)
Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon (00:01:41)
Cerulea (00:03:45)
Flash Burns From Flashbacks (00:02:38)
Palm Full Of Crux (00:03:36)
No Case Gain (00:02:41)
Tourmaline (00:03:34)
Equus 3 (00:04:09)
Collapsible Shoulders (00:02:24)
The Requisition (00:04:12)

TOTAL ≈ (00:44:45)

Holy cow those are short.

Blade3327
08-08-2022, 01:46 PM
I like all the songs released so far. The band seems to have leveled up in terms of pure songwriting. The only thing that bums me out is knowing every track will be four minutes or less. A sub-50 minute record from TMV, that's almost as surprising as their return.

I don't think they went mainstream either. No one I know with average/accessible/non-discerning music tastes would jump on something like this. If you think this is mainstream, you're giving the actual mainstream too much credit; the current radio scene is so much blander than you know.

eversonpoe
08-08-2022, 02:00 PM

i've disliked all of them so far, honestly. i also thought noctourniquet was boring as hell, and this feels like a step further toward boring.

everything they put out up through octahedron was so fun and powerful and interesting and unique and now i just feel like they're A Band™

wizfan
08-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Cedric even claims Masterson and the other Scientologists poisoned his dog, and went on to blast other famous people in the cult including Juliette Lewis, Brad Wilk (sigh...) and, of course, Beck.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/at-the-drive-in-frontman-alleges-church-of-scientology-poisoned-killed-his-dog

Jon
08-09-2022, 03:09 AM
i've disliked all of them so far, honestly. i also thought noctourniquet was boring as hell, and this feels like a step further toward boring.

everything they put out up through octahedron was so fun and powerful and interesting and unique and now i just feel like they're A Band™

Their sound feels like a natural evolution similar to early prog bands that embraced synth and electro-based elements/arrangements once Punk and New Wave hit.

The singles/tracks still feel incredibly abbreviated, but I find myself enjoying them more upon repeat listens.

stankeybearlover
08-09-2022, 08:02 AM
Cedric even claims Masterson and the other Scientologists poisoned his dog, and went on to blast other famous people in the cult including Juliette Lewis, Brad Wilk (sigh...) and, of course, Beck.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/at-the-drive-in-frontman-alleges-church-of-scientology-poisoned-killed-his-dog
In my early twenties I used to be in a relationship with a woman who turned out to have been born into an influential cult and who had carefully been trying to indoctrinate me through feelgood selfhelp platitudes wrapped in myth. They couldn't get dirt on me so she eventually just made shit up and got other members to back her claims. I was trapped in fear for two years of that relationship. Was abused through most of it. I eventually managed to get out, because my mental state had deteriorated so much that I ceased being interesting. They still went scorched earth about me in the field I had been trying to get a foothold in and I was stalked for three years. Still recovering from the trauma more than a decade later. I'm with Cedric on calling out all influential cultist mofos around. Whether they are dianetics simps or hard rock cafe fanboys.

Kodiak33
08-09-2022, 10:10 AM

I had no idea about Brad Wilk, that's disappointing.

Jinsai
08-10-2022, 12:20 PM
I totally 100% believe all that he's saying about the Scientologists poisoning his dog and making his life hell. Fuck them. They are an evil cult, and even though I think those series of docs from Leah Remini might be a little too dramatic in spots, she's managed to highlight something in a very real way that needs to be understood. Scientology is a dangerous bullshit thing that needs to be called out. Actually... I'd call them a terrorist group at this point.

thefragile_jake
08-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Welp, I never got into Mars Volta (outside of Deloused) before and those new songs certainly don't help anything lol

bobbie solo
08-31-2022, 10:46 PM
If you hate the new songs like most people....well, you shouldn't hold out much hope for the rest of the album.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/12/the-mars-volta-the-most-revolutionary-thing-we-could-do-was-to-make-a-pop-record

As Rodríguez-López put it, “I’m not bound by genre. The only thing that matters is if music makes you feel something.”Speaking of the reaction he has seen to the first two advance tracks, Bixler-Zavala had the following to say about their dissenters:
“Some people might see it as betrayal. I’ve seen some people call it yacht rock. But yacht rock slaps so hard that hip-hop producers sample it all the time.”

Rodríguez-López shared a similar belief, stating:
“Losing ‘fans’ is baked into what we do. I don’t know a greater happiness than losing ‘fans’. A true fan is someone interested in what’s happening now, and then there’s everyone else trying to control what you do or project on to it. I have an aversion to that. That sounds like school. That sounds like the government. That sounds like the police. And unfortunately that’s what a lot of people who think they’re fans end up thinking like.”

Bixler-Zavala added, “The most revolutionary thing we could do would be to make a pop record, really.”

Yikes.

wizfan
08-31-2022, 11:10 PM
Yikes.

Sigh. I haven't listened to the singles because I'm waiting for the album. I'm not holding my breath, though... Sometimes I do enjoy it when a band takes a left turn and suddenly goes pop, but I don't think I'm mentally prepared for The Yacht Volta.

The saddest part is that I just re-visited this thread's earlier pages and found a post of mine from 2012:

I'm so glad the band hasn't succumbed to pop appeal and continues making weird, complex, but still entertaining music.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go cry.

Kodiak33
09-01-2022, 07:19 AM
Pop songs are catchy, this is (so far) anything but lol