PDA

View Full Version : The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Pages : [1] 2

spahn
11-23-2011, 02:03 PM
So this is almost going on 1.5 years since he first announced it via twitter. I wonder what's the status on this?
Sure, TSN, TGWTDT soundtracks and HTDA have gotten in the way, but I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate a 5.1 release of this album.

NotoriousTIMP
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
C'mon Spahn, you have to be used to TR's sense of time by now......1.5 years for us is like 6 months for him. :)

NemesisNZ
11-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm sure TR's response to this would be 'soon'

ManBurning
11-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I thought this was announced way, way longer ago then 1.5 years...
Either way, it's been taking forever!

To be honest, I'd rather have this than all the silly stuff he has been occupied by latley.
I don't really care too much for the upcoming dragon tattoo soundtrack, and I definatly don't give a damn about this new HTDA at all!
Maybe if TR and his wife took turns singing on the new HTDA then I would be more inclined to like it, as the music is good, just don't like her voice.

BenAkenobi
11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
i'd be happy if a bonus CD gets released available separately in digipak with empty slots for original 2 CDs. though it's not realistic, it'd kick major ass.

MAD
11-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Reznor can have my kidney, I want the uber-mega-awesome-duodecuple-gatefold version.

butter_hole
11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
maybe next year.

Freshcat
11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I am going to get the super duper deluxe edition of this thing no matter what my wife says!
In 2014 when it is released, that is.

peanoot3
12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
This should be the next thing Trent works on after releasing the new TGWTDT OST and upcoming HTDA. I love The Fragile, and to just have an "Ultimate re-issue" would be amazing. Hopefully this comes out soon. It would be great to listen to the 5.1 and hear things I didn't hear before.

Malechite
12-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Well... We know Alan Moulder mixed it in 5.1, and Rob Sheridan had been working with Artist in Residence (A+R) last year with multiple prototypes. The project got shelved temporarily for various reasons (obviously with all the other side work thats been coming out since) ... but lets hope that it just gets picked back up off the shelf and doesn't end up collecting dust.

Big Fat Matt
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I hope no one is getting their hopes up that this reissue will end up like those monstrosity "Ultimate Fragile B-Sides Reincorporated" playlists people were making at Ye Olde ETS. The best we will get is 5.1, some unreleased artwork and liner notes and maybe a third disc of bsides, outtakes, demos and other era tracks, kinda like the TDS reissue.

edit: i need to check my spelling when drunkposting.

MAD
12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
The best we will get is 5.1, some unreleased artwork and liner notes and maybe a third disc of bsides, outtakes, demos and other era tracks, more Starfuckers versions.
There, I fixed it.

jhulud
12-01-2011, 07:42 AM
If the reissue is anything as fancy schmancy like the Ghosts I-IV super deluxe...then hell yeah I am all in for it!

fillow
12-01-2011, 09:10 AM
>>more Starfuckers versions

which will kick ass. yeah.

sheepdean
12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather hear new music he has to offer than 5.1 mixes of old music. Of course I want and will buy this, but Halo 28 could be better than Halo 14

Callahan
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm willing to bet Interscope is fucking him over somehow, which is causing all the delays. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened...

seasonsinthesky
12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
since it'll likely be on bluray, 24/96 plz! seems likely. also, hi-def would probably be included as a download option, much like the Smashing Pumpkins reissues that just came out (though hopefully not in WAV, considering how well FLAC and ALAC handle hi-res).

and then there's the idea of multitracks...

botley
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
The idea was kicking around in 2004 when they did TDS:DE (TR even brought it up on the old nin.com saying he'd "hope to" have it out before 2009), so it's been way longer than 1.5 years of gestation.

Callahan
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
since it'll likely be on bluray, 24/96 plz! seems likely. also, hi-def would probably be included as a download option, much like the Smashing Pumpkins reissues that just came out (though hopefully not in WAV, considering how well FLAC and ALAC handle hi-res).

and then there's the idea of multitracks...

I would love it if multitracks were released for the whole album. I have no clue how to remix anything, but I do enjoy listening to the work other people put into it.

Malechite
12-01-2011, 04:01 PM
man. Multitracks for The Fragile. that would be like 100 files per song :p

Twiggy
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Definitely looking forward to this.

But I guess its just wait and hope until it gets done...

Any new music would be great though.

Twiggy

seasonsinthesky
12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
man. Multitracks for The Fragile. that would be like 100 files per song :p

100 layers of guitar, at least! xD

butter_hole
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Rob's twitter

Do you pretty much work year round on projects with Trent?

Yes. Many of which are still secret.

gorast
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Rob's twitter

Do you pretty much work year round on projects with Trent?

Yes. Many of which are still secret.

Secretive bastards.

arachnophilia
12-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I hope no one is getting their hopes up that this reissue will end up like those monstrosity "Ultimate Fragile B-Sides Reincorporated" playlists people were making at Ye Olde ETS.

i dunno. mine's okay. it's only got one track on it that isn't on any form of the album. but some of them got... a little ridiculous. people were putting like every remix and bullshit variation they could find on it.

i'd like to see all of the various versions of the album collected into a definitive version with all actual content from the album.

jimu00
12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Honestly, I'd like to just see the Vinyl version on CD with any applicable non-released era tracks. Shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Clitoritzin
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah bitch... 1.5 years saving those 300+shipping dls for this thing... My favorite album of all time!

NIN64
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
My original copy of The Fragile is worn out. I've been holding off on buying a new one in the hopes that this will drop soon.

Halo Infinity
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
If possible, all I'd ask would be to have The Fragile remastered with 10 Miles High, Appendage and The New Flesh. Did I miss any other tracks that didn't make it on the regular CDs? Aside from that, I suppose a DVD with full length uncensored music videos from The Fragile would be lovely, but that's just wishful thinking on my behalf. I'm also aware that asking for those 3 songs is also not so far from being incredibly far fetched as well, but I'd really love it if such a release were actually possible. :p

Leviathant
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I suppose a DVD with full length uncensored music videos from The Fragile would be lovely, but that's just wishful thinking on my behalf.
Perhaps someday *cough (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4406359/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Fragile_Complete_Video_Collection_NTSC_DVD)*

zoomoon
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
At this point, I think there must be something holding it up. TR's been talking about it for a while, and he's been pretty productive and faithful to projects in recent years.

One thought: the original album is owned by Interscope, but if Trent were to include B-sides and never-before-released material (apparently there was a lot), then he'd want to release those on the Null Corporation label. Thus the package would be a hybrid product in terms of rights and finances, which could get tricky.

botley
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Record labels license work from each other all the time, it's just a question of paying the fee.

jessamineny
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Record labels license work from each other all the time, it's just a question of paying the fee.

It wasn't the best parting, though. Maybe they're just being assholes to be assholes.

danebraddy
12-08-2011, 04:41 AM
It wasn't the best parting, though. Maybe they're just being assholes to be assholes.

That's the impression I got from giving permission for NIN to film LITS in 3D - Interscope were purposely delaying things and trying to bury them (NIN + Co) in red tape - probably the same reason we haven't seen an official release of the final shows... perhaps some shadowy subversives will strike again...

Halo Infinity
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Perhaps someday *cough (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4406359/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Fragile_Complete_Video_Collection_NTSC_DVD)*
Oh sweet. Thanks for the heads up there. :)

otnavuskire
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Looks like it's still happening (scroll down towards the bottom of the article).

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/3988746/Trent-Reznor-and-Karen-O-Weve-made-Zep-more-aggressive.html

spahn
12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Nice find. I can't wait to be able to pop in the fragile in 5.1 in my living room and immerse myself in that album.

Indefinite_Cure
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Looks like it's still happening (scroll down towards the bottom of the article).

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/3988746/Trent-Reznor-and-Karen-O-Weve-made-Zep-more-aggressive.html
What?!? a second baby due in the next 2 weeks? The man doesn't lose time! Congratulations on that. (Maybe I'm just late on the news...)
Does he ever take a break or something?

Thanks for the music Trent, I can't wait to hear The Fragile Reissue and whatever next project you have in mind. I'm listening to the new soundtrack right now and it sounds amazing!

icklekitty
12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
When this comes out, I'm going to fill a swimming pool with copies and swim in it.

Greentypewriters
12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
he'll probably drop it on us before christmas. *surpies*

eversonpoe
12-10-2011, 12:01 PM

what was that about pies?

sheepdean
12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I honestly doubt it will drop until after HTDA, if he puts releases too close together, some will overshadow others.

GentlemanLoser
12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
1.5 years / 5.1 mix = mind blown

thetourist
12-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Really looking forward to it. The Downward Spiral 5.1 is simply amazing and The Fragile 5.1 will be amazing as well.

ManBurning
12-10-2011, 02:33 PM
What?!? a second baby due in the next 2 weeks? The man doesn't lose time! Congratulations on that. (Maybe I'm just late on the news...)
Does he ever take a break or something?

Yeah, I was absolutly blown away and shocked when I read that myself. This is the first I've heard of it as well, so I don't think we're late to news or anything. It's probably just one of those private things Trent wants to keep out of the spotlight.

Not that I care, as I absolutly can't stand HTDA, but this probably is going to put back any plans of "possibly touring" for HTDA like was mentioned.

sheepdean
12-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I was absolutly blown away and shocked when I read that myself. This is the first I've heard of it as well, so I don't think we're late to news or anything. It's probably just one of those private things Trent wants to keep out of the spotlight.

Not that I care, as I absolutly can't stand HTDA, but this probably is going to put back any plans of "possibly touring" for HTDA like was mentioned.
I don't think Q being 8 months pregnant when he said HTDA possibly touring wasn't considered

IAmTheExit
12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Fantastic to hear that it's due soon. And yeah, surprising to hear that he's having a second kid so soon. Doubt it'll have as badass of a name as Lazarus Reznor, though.

Mantra
12-10-2011, 07:22 PM
To be honest, I don't follow Trent's personal life at all, so I had no idea until reading that article that he and Mariqueen had a baby. I was pretty surprised to read that.

On topic: I'm not nearly as excited about the 5.1 mix as I am about the prospect of hearing unreleased Fragile outtakes. Given how much material went unused for the album, I'm hoping we'll get lots of new music.

Ryan
12-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Fantastic to hear that it's due soon. And yeah, surprising to hear that he's having a second kid so soon. Doubt it'll have as badass of a name as Lazarus Reznor, though.

Yep, news to me.

Strohbie
12-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I hope no one is getting their hopes up that this reissue will end up like those monstrosity "Ultimate Fragile B-Sides Reincorporated" playlists people were making at Ye Olde ETS.

Hey, I liked my ridiculously bloated extended cut. I crammed *almost* every track I could find in there.

I'm excited mostly for the fact that the article from The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/3988746/Trent-Reznor-and-Karen-O-Weve-made-Zep-more-aggressive.html) seemed to suggest that TF was his 'favourite' album. In the past he always sounded dissapointed with it and I'm glad he can see how delicious it really is.
(http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/3988746/Trent-Reznor-and-Karen-O-Weve-made-Zep-more-aggressive.html)

wolfpuppet
12-12-2011, 02:36 AM
If TR releases an über-special USD 300 version of this, I just hope we get fair warning, or a pre-order option that doesn't charge right away. ;)

sheepdean
12-12-2011, 06:42 AM
If TR releases an über-special USD 300 version of this, I just hope we get fair warning, or a pre-order option that doesn't charge right away. ;)
It's going to happen. No way in hell will this not have a $300 LE (as 300 seems to be NullCorp flat rate for LE). Save your money now!

BenAkenobi
12-12-2011, 08:01 AM
No way in hell will this not have a $300 LE

Hmmm, offering such pricey special edition will make Trent appear hypocritical - that'll mean he's gonna charge listeners customers collectors for going to "bad places of his life" where he admittedly doesn't belong anymore.
sorry if this loud thought offended anyone

Leviathant
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Hmmm, offering such pricey special edition will make Trent appear hypocritical - that'll mean he's gonna charge listeners customers collectors for going to "bad places of his life" where he admittedly doesn't belong anymore.

That's one of the more inane things I've read. I don't think the word hypocritical means what you think it means. Anyhow, for a surround mix at potentially a higher quality playback rate (don't know what they recorded at though) of one of my favorite pieces of music, one that I feel had a very significant impact on my life, I'll happily dish out at least $300. I didn't buy the $300 version of TGWTDT, but I won't even blink when the Fragile deluxe edition comes out.

You're crazy. You're completely nuts. Most of the nine inch nails catalog is made up of recordings made while Trent was in a 'bad place' and you've never complained about him charging money for that before. It's not like we're paying him to go get fucked on heroin again. I've bought the fragile on CD twice (well, plus copies for friends) and on vinyl. And on cassette (although I gave that to my girlfriend at the time, and she never gave it back) -- and I'd love to add a Bluray to that pile.

ItsJustDave
12-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Most of the nine inch nails catalog is made up of recordings made while Trent was in a 'bad place' and you've never complained about him charging money for that before. It's not like we're paying him to go get fucked on heroin again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd long been under the impression that much of The Fragile was written/recorded during a period of recovery for Trent. I won't dispute the fact that he was dealing with some heavy issues, but it wasn't until going on tour that he fell into old habits and relapsed. This pretty much renders Ben's point irrelevant.

Furthermore, even if the point were valid, I suspect there'd be many more people disappointed by the absence of an uber deluxe edition than the presence of one.

jhulud
12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
A $300 LE Deluxe version of the The Fragile reissue/re-release/uber-awesome version is a no-brainer purchase in my mind...

spahn
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh what a thing of beauty would a Deluxe Edition of the Fragile would be. My wife would probably force me to buy it...although no forcing would be necessary since I already own the DE versions of Ghosts and TGWTDT.

BenAkenobi
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
it was easy to foresee a negative response from "the headquarters" because i love the album too, i love Pilgrimage and Star$uckers inc. probably i chose wrong words, being not native english speaker and all. then what, now and forever i'm nuts? you're touchy guys. i'll buy not only surround version instantly, i'll buy bluray player for it! sheesh.

eversonpoe
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd long been under the impression that much of The Fragile was written/recorded during a period of recovery for Trent. I won't dispute the fact that he was dealing with some heavy issues, but it wasn't until going on tour that he fell into old habits and relapsed.

i thought the fragile was created while trent was still very much an addict...i believe With Teeth was considered his "recovery" album.

ItsJustDave
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
i thought the fragile was created while trent was still very much an addict...i believe With Teeth was considered his "recovery" album.

While With Teeth is certainly considered his "recovery" album, everything I've read indicates that he was in a period of recovery when The Fragile was released.

ninwiki on Trent and The Fragile (http://www.ninwiki.com/Trent_Reznor#Fragile)

I hope it goes without saying that addiction is a stubborn problem to kick. The recovery/relapse cycle is not uncommon.

sheepdean
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I believe he relapsed during Fragility 1.0, but was clean during recording. But only Trent knows, so I think speculation is a bit pointless?

seasonsinthesky
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
i don't think TR has ever been on a lot of substances while making records, from the interviews i've read. plus, let's not forget the classic answer from Bob Ezrin (right?) on the ETS of old — he set this particular record straight.

wolfpuppet
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
It's going to happen. No way in hell will this not have a $300 LE (as 300 seems to be NullCorp flat rate for LE). Save your money now!

I'm on it! :D

BenAkenobi
12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
oh, please take addictions out of equation, because i didn't mean it in the first place. let's switch to other things.
i did this drawing the other day, thinking $50 would be a bargain for such version of the reissue
http://i40.tinypic.com/eipowh.png

cheddamash
12-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Hehehe. I have too much time on my hands.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/417227/The Fragile - HSE.jpg

Malechite
12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Hahaha. "27 remixes of starfuckers"

I LOL'd

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm guessing it will come in a hardback book style case, like Ghosts and TGWTDT, for the uberdeluxe.
Although a super digipak would be hilarious

Big Fat Matt
12-13-2011, 02:21 AM
it would have to have an instructional DVD on how to properly open and close the digipak

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-13-2011, 02:43 AM
it would have to have an instructional DVD on how to properly open and close the digipak
because it will be fragile

seasonsinthesky
12-13-2011, 06:16 AM
... i missed you, ETS.

dzaver
12-13-2011, 08:40 AM
loving the Holy Shit Fragile Edition + instructional DVD

jrdsctt
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM

I love you.

screwdriver
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
While With Teeth is certainly considered his "recovery" album, everything I've read indicates that he was in a period of recovery when The Fragile was released.

ninwiki on Trent and The Fragile (http://www.ninwiki.com/Trent_Reznor#Fragile)

I hope it goes without saying that addiction is a stubborn problem to kick. The recovery/relapse cycle is not uncommon.

this is utter speculation, but you can't live in NOLA and not get fucked up. I'm sure he's a workaholic and all that jazz, but I'm sure he had a few binges in NOLA. Otherwise, what's the point? For god's sake, the studio was right across the street from a bar.

richardp
12-13-2011, 03:05 PM
This page is easily the best page on ETS right now. So much win.

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I would love for it to actually be called the HOLY SHIT edition, even if it's just another name for Super Deluxe or whatever

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I would love for it to actually be called the HOLY SHIT edition, even if it's just another name for Super Deluxe or whatever
Full title:
The Fragile Deluxe: Soon

jrdsctt
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Full title:
The Fragile Deluxe: Soon

And the album cover would be some blurry photo taken of Rob of some unknown hand doing something on some unknown piece of equipment with blurred lyrics and track listings in the foreground.

jhulud
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jhulud/Random/ILikeIt.jpg

spahn
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
@cheddamash ,that's EPIC WIN!

cheddamash
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I love you.

Ha, I'm glad others can appreciate my nonsense. Btw, thanks to Ben for the original artwork. I didnt mean to steal the limelight. I do like your packaging and think a quad-folding design is a good idea. Then again, there wouldn't be any room for steak gift certificates. :/

gorast
12-13-2011, 07:16 PM

I would quit college to pay for that.

witte
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
my challenge for 2012 will be to expand my hifi stereo systeem into a hifi 5.1 systeem for sure ;)

nin5in
12-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Where have you been all my life? That made my fucking night.

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 07:38 PM
So, what are we realistically expecting/hoping from it? What I can think of that might be in it is:
Whole album remastered, including Appendage and the vinyl-only tracks
5.1 BD
TFA plus extra bits, or minus extra bits.
Maybe The Perfect Drug and Deep on an album at last? I know TPD is TDS era, but it's not on TDS DE, so...
All the videos (including TDTWWA)
Some kind of book detailing the art in full, possibly including all the excerpts previously published, and maybe unused art.
Vinyl. Dear God there had better be vinyl.
Multitracks if Interscope aren't total cunts
Maybe Still or AATCHB, to make it an "era" boxset.
$300 minimum price tag for the LE

kevinbeetle
12-13-2011, 07:47 PM
i would easily pay $400 for the signed deluxe version of this

eversonpoe
12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
my challenge for 2012 will be to expand my hifi stereo systeem into a hifi 5.1 systeem for sure ;)

i'd recommend a Yamaha surround receiver from the RX-V series, and pretty much anything but Bose speakers. (i do a/v work for a living).

cheddamash
12-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Where have you been all my life? That made my fucking night.

Ha I'm glad.

thevoid99
12-13-2011, 08:31 PM
So, what are we realistically expecting/hoping from it? What I can think of that might be in it is:
Whole album remastered, including Appendage and the vinyl-only tracks
5.1 BD
TFA plus extra bits, or minus extra bits.
Maybe The Perfect Drug and Deep on an album at last? I know TPD is TDS era, but it's not on TDS DE, so...
All the videos (including TDTWWA)
Some kind of book detailing the art in full, possibly including all the excerpts previously published, and maybe unused art.
Vinyl. Dear God there had better be vinyl.
Multitracks if Interscope aren't total cunts
Maybe Still or AATCHB, to make it an "era" boxset.
$300 minimum price tag for the LE

That I think is more ideal. Plus, a DVD/Blu-Ray of The Fragile-related specials the band made for MTV including the special for And All That Could Have Been. I would also like to see a retrospective documentary featuring interviews with the people involved in the making of the album and special liner notes about the brilliance of that album. It should be written by someone that is a fan of the band and loves this album. Could be some musician or a legit music historian. Hell, I'll write an essay about the album.

Halo Infinity
12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
It should be written by someone that is a fan of the band and loves this album. Could be some musician or a legit music historian. Hell, I'll write an essay about the album.
I certainly know that I'd definitely love to read it, as I've found this review to be a very good read a while back.

http://www.epinions.com/review/musc_mu-332317/content_59102891652

thevoid99
12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I certainly know that I'd definitely love to read it, as I've found this to be a good read a while back.

http://www.epinions.com/review/musc_mu-332317/content_59102891652

That's my review. I'm likely to move that or write a new one as I no longer write for that piece of shit site. Yet, I did manage to release the first of my many essays on my Favorite Albums starting with http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2011/12/favorite-albums-1-loveless.html

I'm going to write one on Year Zero for the spring of 2012 to celebrate its fifth anniversary.

witte
12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Respect ^^

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 09:25 PM
People expecting a super deluxe edition: Don't get me wrong, I want nothing more than that. But if there wasn't one for TDS, why would there be one for TF?

I mean, all they've ever mentioned is a 5.1 edition, and that's a single disc.

Malechite
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
People expecting a super deluxe edition: Don't get me wrong, I want nothing more than that. But if there wasn't one for TDS, why would there be one for TF?

I mean, all they've ever mentioned is a 5.1 edition, and that's a single disc.

Rob was working on something special with A+R for the packaging, and it was pretty unique because they went through multiple revisions of prototypes. Also TR said it would be the "ULTIMATE" edition, whereas TDS was just a deluxe version. Also I'm sure after Ghosts/TGWTDT they want to do deluxe limited editions like that with more releases using their new business model.

It just makes sense.

seasonsinthesky
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
indeed. the 2004 market was hardly well developed for the "super expensive deluxe package" stuff we get everywhere now. that model was reserved for giant Miles Davis box sets and the like. even if TR wanted it, Interscope wouldn't likely have gone for the $300 supermega pack then.

though they did seem to nod toward it, what with releasing the vinyl and all.
edit: except that came out in 2008. woops.

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm jus sayin, wouldn't be surprised if it was announced, and it was only a single (well, double) disc re-issue ala the PHM one.

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
PHM wasn't a DE, it was a standalone remaster. The fact A+R are doing the packaging, that Trent has said many times it's a deluxe package and that it's simply taken so long all points to DE and most likely LE.

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm jus sayin

ManBurning
12-14-2011, 12:48 AM

I smell a new meathead to take over the throne!

Seriously, it's just not Nine Inch Nails without meathead!

butter_hole
12-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I smell a new meathead to take over the throne!

Seriously, it's just not Nine Inch Nails without meathead!
nah this is actually funny

Amaro
12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Damnit, butter_hole, bite your tongue.

jrdsctt
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm jus sayin

http://i.imgur.com/TXcR0.jpg

Ryan
12-28-2011, 05:42 AM

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/417227/The%20Fragile%20-%20HSE.jpg

Do indeed want.

Agent Dale Cooper
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I have no interest in any 5.1 release. An extra disc of outtakes and b-sides etc is what would warm my cockles.

Hazekiah
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Why not both?

And, personally, I'm hoping that the delay is due to working out a 7.1 mix to accompany the 5.1 they already had done a while back.

:D

eversonpoe
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
most people with home theater systems tend to stick with 5.1. most films (and music in surround) are in 5.1. why would the go back and re-do the 5.1 mix as 7.1? with clever panning and a bit of phasing work, you can achieve nearly everything in a 5.1 system that you would be able to do with 7.1, and it would be far more universally used.

butter_hole
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Why stop at 7?

23.2!

sheepdean
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
If the album is mixed in less than 505.1 surround, to be played by geostationary satellites across the whole planet, well I just don't think they're trying hard enough.

butter_hole
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
You fucken suck these days tren why even bovver

sheepdean
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Dammit Trent I want an RFID chip of The Fragile in my skin, so when the NWO comes, they'll scan me and hear Even Deeper.

cheddamash
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
If the album is mixed in less than 505.1 surround, to be played by geostationary satellites across the whole planet, well I just don't think they're trying hard enough.

Pffft hahaha!!!

Broadbent
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
I have no interest in any 5.1 release. An extra disc of outtakes and b-sides etc is what would warm my cockles.

An Extra Disc with outakes and b-sides?? I thought that was called "Right"......

:D

theruiner
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
An Extra Disc with outakes and b-sides?? I thought that was called "Right"......

:DIt was called The Slip.

Wretchedest
01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Rob was working on something special with A+R for the packaging, and it was pretty unique because they went through multiple revisions of prototypes. Also TR said it would be the "ULTIMATE" edition, whereas TDS was just a deluxe version. Also I'm sure after Ghosts/TGWTDT they want to do deluxe limited editions like that with more releases using their new business model.

It just makes sense.

I'm not clear on the difference between "ultimate" and "deluxe"
to me they both just seem like synonymous adjectives that both mean "a whole bunch of extra shit".

That TDS deluxe was pretty spectacular I thought. If they one upped that Id be shocked.

IN the meantime i'd file the fragile deluxe with Clousre DVD and Tapeworm....IRemember the Ultra-Deluxe With Teeth? or Year Zero 2, well I never had my hopes up for Super Fragile...

sick among the pure
01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Year Zero 2

Since the HBO YZ special is still being worked on, I'd imagine YZ2 would come out with that.

Wretchedest
01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Since the HBO YZ special is still being worked on, I'd imagine YZ2 would come out with that.

Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of all the potential happenings there, still I don't get my hopes up. Force of habit perhaps?

It would certainly be nice, that's for sure.

jmtd
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
With ghosts, $300 got you 4 discs of original music; exclusive prints; the lovely book and slideshow; the 5.1 mix and multitrack sources.

Since TGWTDT de was $300 too, I think that's the price point we are looking at for tf de.

We know 5.1, and we know the majority of music will not be new, and the primary audience is existing fans. So what could possibly be included?

I think multitrack sources are a possibility, but they'll leak as soon as one person buys it, legitimately so, since they'd have to be cc-by-nc to be useful.

I wonder about the possibilities of a slideshow/art book, or some kind of album-length visual accompaniment.

I don't think the exclusives will be digital because I know rob understands the value of a physical product. This is the mistake that depeche mode, placebo etc make IMHO.

I was pretty disappointed in what you got in TGWTDT de to be honest.

Maybe they'll just charge less?

BenAkenobi
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
jmtd: With ghosts, $300 got you 4 discs of original music; exclusive prints; the lovely book and slideshow; the 5.1 mix and multitrack sources.

i'm sorry but if you must refer to Ghosts, some of this needs correction.
2 disks of original music, 3rd disk containing high definition stereo - not 5.1 surround (which was fan-made later)
lovely book etc. surely warrants $75. but $300 included vinyl, limited number-plate and autograph.
i don't want to discuss the price, only point to the slight variation of those offerings (Dragon Tattoo included)

jmtd
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification!

I think my confusion stems from the fact it was 4 lPs. I own the lp set but not deluxe. Which, now I check.x is interesting, as the ghosts le stated the LPs were exclusive to that release, and the stand alone lPs are not listed on the ghosts site.

(edit: goddamn editing this on a phone is painful)

innerturmoil
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm in regardless, personally hoping for definitive tracklisting (extended from vinyl, +appendage etc) mixed appropriately.

ItsJustDave
01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I think my confusion stems from the fact it was 4 lPs. I own the lp set but not deluxe. Which, now I check.x is interesting, as the ghosts le stated the LPs were exclusive to that release, and the stand alone lPs are not listed on the ghosts site.

I believe the exact wording with regard to the exclusivity of the LPs in the LE might have included the fact that they were 180 gram LPs.

jmtd
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I believe the exact wording with regard to the exclusivity of the LPs in the LE might have included the fact that they were 180 gram LPs.

OK. Fairly sure the standard issue LPs are 180 gram too. I haven't actually weighed them, but they're approximately the same weight/thickness as other new releases advertised as 180gram. The wording of the LE includes the slipcase, which is of course absent from the standard vinyl issue.

TBH I'm not complaining at all, because I'm very glad I could pick up a reasonably priced vinyl release :) On reflection, though, I think I would have enjoyed the LE and could have splashed out for it.

I had a thought that would never happen but could be an interesting idea for the fragile ultimate re-issue. Presumably Trent has a personal archive of near-enough every last little noise he made in that era, perhaps on stacks of CDs, or tape loops, or whatever, but curated in some way. Imagine if the *entire lot* was digitized as part of the re-issue. Every last little loop, used or otherwise.

sheepdean
01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
As there's no deadline pushing HTDA, I hope we get that in 5.1 too (my understanding was that time constraints and film people were the reason for TGWTDT not being in 5.1)

witte
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I hoped for all this shit garbage talk HERE (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/579-NIN-Trent-Reznor-versus-5-1-surround-music?p=12823#post12823)!

Ehhh, after reading all the post, maybe not...

BenAkenobi
01-24-2012, 12:34 PM
So, just ripped the album at 8 kHz mono (8 kbps), and -surprise- it's not completely unlistenable in such glorious 6 megabyte form. percussion is mainly what's destroyed, most of the melody retains ;)

Leviathant
01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I moved the non-Fragile conversation to http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/657-The-merits-of-surround-sound-audio-recordings

spegettiwestern
01-27-2012, 06:11 AM
As excited as I am for this to eventually see the light of day, it's hard to imagine that there'll be a lot of unheard material released considering just how much music was distributed in that era from remixes/singles, the AATCHB title audio, the Niggy Tardust instrumentals (albeit far undeveloped from what they became) among others.

Regardless I'm sure it's going to sound great and I know it'll be a pretty sweet package.

wizfan
01-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Trent said he initially thought of releasing some unreleased stuff with the deluxe edition, but abandoned the idea.

sheepdean
01-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Trent said he initially thought of releasing some unreleased stuff with the deluxe edition, but abandoned the idea.Dp you have a source?

wizfan
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Dp you have a source?
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2011/01/trent-reznor-new-york-times-interview/

He also said that he feels that it could’ve been better received if it were released as two separate records (citing Radiohead’s move for Kid A / Amnesiac), and even considered rerecording bits of songs for the rerelease, but ultimately decided against it.

fillow
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm going to read it as he just decided against re-recording bits of songs

sheepdean
01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah that reads that he just didn't want to do what many artists do, and "improve" sections

Ryan
02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
I'd really like to hear some news about this soon, preferably in conjunction with some HTDA news.

ManBurning
02-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Someone on my facebook posted a status update yesterday complaing that this is taking so long and he should focus on this rather then the dragon S/T.
This prompted someone to respond with it was never going to happen, because The Fragile still belong to interscope etc...

Then it got me thinking, Didn't Trent tweet about mixing with Alan Moulder recently, like in November? So I went back and checked...

His exact tweet was:

"Sitting with Alan Moulder mixing The Wretched in 5.1. Lots of memories..."

And that was on March 12th of last year. March 12th!! It's been almost a year.
So what is going on is the question. Do you think Interscope is holding them up? Is Interscope trying to milk them for all they're worth.
Do you think we will ever see the light of day with this release?

If Trent wasn't confident that he would obtain the rights to the tracks, I doubt he would have even teased us with this news in the first place, or even gone as far as started to mix it in 5.1 if he knew he wasn't going to release it. So I trust he will release it, but what do you think the hold up is? It's not like it's a risky move for him financially, he and all of us know that each and every copy of that "deluxe edition" that gets printed will be snatched up in a micro-second.

fillow
02-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I find your lack of faith disturbing

ManBurning
02-17-2012, 03:13 AM
My lack of faith????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! That's a funny one...

I wasn't going to do this but I will now to proove you're a fool.

ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPT FROM FACEBOOK conversation w/ friends.

Jessie: To hell with girls and their dragon tattoo's. I want my god damned Fragile anniversary edition!!

ManBurning: You said it, you said it well!

Manfred: Why, so we can listen to the fragile in 5.1 at a slightly higher quality then the original release, shiny new packaging and be over-chared for it? Sure I'd pick it up but I dont think its a big deal. Furthermore, the fragile belongs to interscope so its never gonna happen.

Jessie: That's exactly why! Actually, more so, I'm hoping for it to include the multi-tracks

ManBurning: Don't forget bonus tracks, unreleased material, remixes and demos! TF is one of the greatest records in music history, even if it was just the remastered 5.1 version that's a reason enough to grab it!
Plus, interscope never stopped them from re-releasing the TDS re-release, and they won the battle against TVT to get the rights of PHM. It'll happen, in fact it already has.
Trent posted a photo and a tweet back in November that said something along the lines of "currently re-visitng the fragile with alan moulder, remixing familuar territory, its giving me shivers down my spine"

Jessie: ‎5.1 alone would be reason enough for me. It would lend itself well to a surround mix (much better than with Teeth did IMO)...... Though Manfred has a point about the Interscope thing. NIN was still on the Interscope label when TDS anniv. was released so it wasn't a problem then.
If it's been re-released since, you can bet that album is still on Interscope and they're taking a cut.

ManBurning: I never realized he was still with interscope durning TDS re-release, but that may very well be true. I mean, he'll get the rights eventually, but it certainly doesn't seem like its high on his priority list right now. He certainly doesn't have a problem pumping out junk like how to destroy retards in a timely fashion. Maybe interscope must be holding up the release, cuz we know and he knows he'll make a forture on the re-release, so its just a matter of time.

Jessie: (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=632535140) It's a legal thing and interscope has the rights and a shot ton more money than he woupd for legal fees so hos hands are probably tied.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I definatly do not have a lack of faith in this project at all, i'm very supportive of it, no matter how long it takes. I just wanted the NIN-community's opinion on what they thought the hold up was, that was all. You don't have to be a hater. This disc is definatly coming out, and it's going to blow everyone out of the water when it does.

Vertigo
02-17-2012, 03:15 AM
There've been interviews addressing the subject, I think he dropped the other projects at some point during the year to focus solely on Dragon Tattoo (recording for the HTDA record had apparently been finished a year ago, that got shelved too). There was an update more recently that they were back in the studio fiddling with Fragile, and recent interviews have suggested that it's still in progress... there's been no indication that Interscope is causing any problems, just that he's had a lot on his plate. I suspect the near-complete state of the HTDA LP has been seeing most of his attention more recently, not to mention that the guy now has two babies to raise.

sheepdean
02-17-2012, 03:19 AM
There's also the fact he won't want it to dwarf HTDA, so it's not even going to get ANNOUNCED until that's actually out in shops I'd wager.

Also, Interscope likes money. They saw NIN fans buy $750,000 worth of LEs of an album THEY'D NEVER HEARD in 2008, they'll be happy for Trent to make them more money at literally no cost to themselves.

eversonpoe
02-17-2012, 01:33 PM
My lack of faith????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! That's a funny one...

actually, it is funny, because it was a Star Wars quote.

witte
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
I have a feeling a few here on board are on drugs, I think.

gorast
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
*really long post that went just a bit overboard*
Dude was this even really necessary? All he did was make a joke about it. Chill out.

Honestly I don't expect to see a single mention of this until at least the summer. Trent'll probably want the HTDA LP to sink in and it feels like we're not getting that until March, so there'd be a few months in between at the very least. Maybe he'll aim for a September release if he wants to hit the 13th anniversary date, but since we don't actually know the status of the project, I don't think there's any way to properly predict when we're getting it.

ManOfAtom
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I dunno if I should say really, and I only know this little thing, but the video for We're All In This Together was prepped for an iTunes release recently. It was kicking about at the start of the year.
its not on the UK store, is it on the US?

Ryan
02-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Indeed. Or having fits of psychosis as the result of a lack thereof.

Leviathant
02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I dunno if I should say really, and I only know this little thing, but the video for We're All In This Together was prepped for an iTunes release recently. It was kicking about at the start of the year.

Interesting. I wonder if either Mark Pellington or Trent Reznor will see any money from the sales of that video, if indeed it becomes a sale item.

ManBurning
02-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Well, thankfully that is not me. I have never done drugs.
I think the most corruptive drug of all is just living life day to day. Nothing does more damage to you then all the ups and downs you learn to weave though on this strange rolloercoaster of life.

ItsJustDave
02-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Source? It's worth noting that "We're All In This Together" is distinct from "We're In This Together". If there was no artist name attached, I wouldn't be too quick to presume it's even in reference to the NIN track. When I search iTunes (US) for "We're All In This Together" I get a music video from High School Musical.

GoodSoldier333
02-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Suddenly i have an urge for the Disney channel.

Jadezuki
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Source? It's worth noting that "We're All In This Together" is distinct from "We're In This Together". If there was no artist name attached, I wouldn't be too quick to presume it's even in reference to the NIN track. When I search iTunes (US) for "We're All In This Together" I get a music video from High School Musical.

WILDCATS EVERYWHERE
WAVE YOUR HANDS UP IN THE AIR
THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT LET'S GET TO IT TIME TO SHOW THE WORLD

I'm really not surprised it's taken this long. Yes, it's a guaranteed moneymaker, but he's been busy with new projects, and I can understand wanting to shelve old stuff entirely while working on new stuff, to make sure your head is in a "fresh, new" space.

ManOfAtom
02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
That was a mis-type, it's the NIN track.
I work in the supply chain for that process but I don't want to be specific really because of insane NDAs in my contract. iTunes has a strict quality control, the video failed at first (don't know why, could guess but couldn't be sure) and was resubmitted. I assume it passed, I've not seen it since. I didn't notice anything explicitly different about it but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the original, I'm expect it was a technical rather then content fail though. I was just pleased to see something by an artist I love!

Might be nothing to do with this. My assumption was that it was for an iTunes LP type release but I didn't come through our normal channel for that so who knows.

The reason I thought it was interesting is that it came through Universal/Interscope channels.

Facts: something was adjusted so it could pass iTunes QC.
Speculation: anything else.

carpenoctem
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Don't know why I've never shared the NIN fan base's general devotion to The Fragile before, but it has always been one of my least favorite overall NIN records. I think because I feel it's too long and some of the second disc is filler. But I've been listening to it a lot at work lately and for some reason it's just clicked... five years after first hearing it. I still don't think it's perfect, but I finally appreciate listening to it back to back instead of skipping certain tracks (No, You Don't, The Great Below, like half of the second disc etc). I would loooove to see it rereleased and would pick it up in a heartbeat.

twilight explosion
02-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Don't know why I've never shared the NIN fan base's general devotion to The Fragile before, but it has always been one of my least favorite overall NIN records. I think because I feel it's too long and some of the second disc is filler. But I've been listening to it a lot at work lately and for some reason it's just clicked... five years after first hearing it. I still don't think it's perfect, but I finally appreciate listening to it back to back instead of skipping certain tracks (No, You Don't, The Great Below, like half of the second disc etc). I would loooove to see it rereleased and would pick it up in a heartbeat.

you skipped the great below?!

BenAkenobi
02-19-2012, 04:40 AM
i know this disconnection with "the fragile" carpenoctem is telling us.
it's when you try to explain to yourself why the album has such power that everyone points to, and you can't find one major reason.
instead you have bits and pieces that don't grab your attention instantly, they accumulate day by day.
there's no immediate guarantee that you'll accept the overall theme of separation and disjointness.
however, it's perfectly OK to skip some songs - it leaves more room for later "revelations" (some of "filler" might turn to one's favourite tracks eventually)

carpenoctem
02-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah that's pretty much what happens with most albums, for me. I end up liking the "filler" tracks much later, after I've worn out the incredible tracks from incessant replaying. Then I can enjoy the album as a whole. The Fragile is my current revelation.

jessamineny
02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
What are these "filler" tracks on The Fragile that you people speak of? : /

cheddamash
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Filler tracks? Blasphemy.

butter_hole
02-19-2012, 09:44 PM
No, You Don't, Starfuckers, Complication, Where Is Everybody...

I mean maybe not filler, but they're certainly terrible.

BenAkenobi
02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
butter_hole:
No, You Don't, Starfuckers, Complication, Where Is Everybody...

I soooo disagree with this whole example :(

butter_hole
02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
No, You Don't = run of the mill nu-metal TR-angst right in the middle of the best 50-odd minutes of music he's ever written.

Starfuckers = do I even have to say?

Complication = maybe not TERRIBLE, but does it even need to exist?

Where Is Everybody? = CRYING and LYING and DYING and RHYMING and DICTIONARY and KNOCKED OFF LYRICS and SHITTY SONG and

ishtmail
02-19-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry, but Complication is NOT a filler. One of my all-time favorite tracks. Excellent concept.
And once you hear the mashup 'Complications of the flesh', you really get the jist of it.

Basically, if you don't dig Complication, you must think the entire Ghosts album is a 'filler'.

twilight explosion
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
No, You Don't = run of the mill nu-metal TR-angst right in the middle of the best 50-odd minutes of music he's ever written.

Starfuckers = do I even have to say?

Complication = maybe not TERRIBLE, but does it even need to exist?

Where Is Everybody? = CRYING and LYING and DYING and RHYMING and DICTIONARY and KNOCKED OFF LYRICS and SHITTY SONG and

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/072/587/wtfamireading.jpg

bobbie solo
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
i too disagree about Complication, but the other three are kinda bad. especially Starfuckers. What a shit song that SO sticks out like a sore thumb. Starfuckers without the lyrics kicks ass though.

ManBurning
02-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Where Is Everybody...

WHAAAAAT!? Where is Everybody is top notch! This was one of my instant faviourtes on the Right Side. The Things Falling apart remix by Danny Lohner is badass as well, maybe a little more badass than the original.

I was always a little choked that during his "I'm going to bust out all the rarest of the rare songs live" binge during his final leg of touring in 2009 he never brought "Where is everybody" to the table, goddamn that would have been a badass song to hear live with the pumping Bass!

EDIT: I all of a sudden had an urge to listen to Things Falling Apart, I have to consider this the best of the NIN remix albums! Damn, This is gooood, haven't heard this in a while.

butter_hole
02-20-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm sorry, but Complication is NOT a filler. One of my all-time favorite tracks. Excellent concept.
And once you hear the mashup 'Complications of the flesh', you really get the jist of it.

Basically, if you don't dig Complication, you must think the entire Ghosts album is a 'filler'.

When you have to hear a remix to truly appreciate it, then you've DEFINITELY got yourself a shitty song.

And your second part just makes no sense whatsoever but okay.

I'm not saying I'm right, just giving my opinions (and I ain't alone!)

BenAkenobi
02-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Regarding No, you don't/Starfuckers...for me they always felt like a breath of fresh air, they provide contrast after darker songs.

jmtd
02-20-2012, 04:02 AM
I'm not saying I'm right, just giving my opinions (and I ain't alone!)

There are better threads for trolling^Wthat - can we try to keep this one to discussion of what the reissue will entail?

witte
02-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Ok, I think the re-issue will be without the fillers.

The Reason Being
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Yeah Where Is Everybody is fucking awesome. It was one of those rare times where I heard the original song after the remix, which I was already in love with at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. That entire instrumental section from 3:33 onwards is one of the many high points of The Fragile for me...

Come on Deluxe Edition, I have faith in your existence...I think

sheepdean
02-20-2012, 10:33 AM
The reissue is going to be a 4 hour video of Trent laughing at us for getting so worked up.

Frozen Beach
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
The remix of Where Is Everybody? on Things Falling Apart made me appreciation the original song.

carpenoctem
02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I definitely feel like Complication and Underneath It All don't need to exist. They are only there to bridge the gaps between more awesome songs. Starfuckers, of course, is generally ignored by the devoted or hated by the haters. The Way Out Is Through is fairly underwhelming too, especially as the opening track of the second disc (though to be fair, it's hard to match Somewhat Damaged). Basically I feel like every track on the second disc that is not Into the Void, Please, The Big Come Down or Ripe (With Decay) is simply there to prepare us for those four. I used to feel more negatively about this but now I enjoy the second disc, though I still think the same thing about it.

I do admit I haven't heard Appendage or 10 Miles High or any other B-side, and it would be nice to have them on the deluxe edition. There were a lot of interesting ideas on The Fragile even if not all of them panned out.

Indefinite_Cure
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
I hope the deluxe edition will feature the full album! I mean with Appendage, 10 Miles High and The New Flesh in the continuity. Also, I always felt like the end of Where is Everybody? sounded like the beginning of another song and then it cuts into The Mark Has Been Made. Is it just me?

Will And All That Could Have Been, Leaving Hope, Gone,Still, The Persistence of Loss and Adrift and at Peace be included in any way?

I always thought And All That Could Have Been was an amazing song and it would really fit well somewhere on The Fragile (right)...imo

Vertigo
02-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I definitely feel like Complication and Underneath It All don't need to exist. They are only there to bridge the gaps between more awesome songs. ... The Way Out Is Through is fairly underwhelming too ... Basically I feel like every track on the second disc that is not Into the Void, Please, The Big Come Down or Ripe (With Decay) is simply there to prepare us for those four.

I've been wincing throughout this page, but these sentiments inflicted physical pain (well, it made me jiggle my leg irritably, that counts as pain in my cushy little world). Underneath It All's my favourite track on the disc.
Ultimately though, NIN fans are incredibly individual and varied in their opinions, and as far as I've seen, nowhere is this more evident than in The Fragile. So many opinion splitters on that album, and I'd be stunned to find any two fans with the exact same view. As much as some of this page's statements might baffle me, I know there are plenty of people out there who'd facepalm at my low opinion of Please.

bobbie solo
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
if Trent every decided to sing Underneath It All live, i would lose my shit. i know i'd be one of the few at the show to care, but i'd be so excited. I know it doesn't exactly lend itself to a live performance, but i just love how evil the electronic backbeat is in that track.

MrSlfDstruct
02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I love Underneath It All! Usually when it comes on in my shuffle I'll restart it a few times, I love how the vocals fade in out of the instruments. The drums at the beginning are oddly unsettling, I had a girlfriend who wouldn't listen to it because she said the beat just didn't sit right with her. Pain in the ass. But UIA is one of the highlights of the Right side.

ManBurning
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
I mentioned above that I would have loved to hear "Where is Everybody?" Live, and I was going at that time include "Underneath it all" in that post, but I decided not too, but now that someone else has brought it up - Yes! I would love to hear that song live as well, one of the better tracks on the album. Actually I'd really like to hear those 2 and "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You Finally" and "Ripe (With Decay)", those 4 tracks there are the best of the right side, including The Big comedown, Into the void and the mark has been made...

Damn, I think I just realzied the right side is better than the left. Wait... No... Left has Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, WITT, The Frail/The Wretched, The Great Below, The Fragile and Just Like you imagined! WOW!

Remind me why people didn't (or still don't) like this album again?

theruiner
02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Remind me why people didn't (or still don't) like this album again?About half the album I love, and half of it I don't care for much at all. But the good stuff was really good.

And I'll echo everyone's love for "Underneath It All." That is an awesome song.

carpenoctem
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
About half the album I love, and half of it I don't care for much at all. But the good stuff was really good.

Apparently New!ETS won't let you repost just a quote (it doesn't count as the first 10 characters?) so I just have to say: This.

ItsJustDave
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Apparently New!ETS won't let you repost just a quote (it doesn't count as the first 10 characters?) so I just have to say: This.

Or you could click the "Like this post" link.

Ryan
02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I do admit I haven't heard Appendage or 10 Miles High or any other B-side, and it would be nice to have them on the deluxe edition. There were a lot of interesting ideas on The Fragile even if not all of them panned out.

What are you waiting for? 10 Miles High is my favorite NIN track (#1 on my list).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxTw6KdCbs

Here's appendage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOR8T9Pclk

The Reason Being
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/rob_sheridan/status/172450139649228800

Same old. Good to know its still on the cards, though.

Reaps
02-23-2012, 06:01 AM
It kinda confuses me what you folks are expecting from a album re-issue, it's not like we were starved of material from the original release.

I mean we already got the original double album and..

Alternate album tracks for vinyl & casette.
Cd singles featuring unreleased tracks, alternate edits & remixes.
The 'Still' album featuring brand new tracks.
A remix album featuring some of the best remixes out there and a cover of 'Metal'.
About a dozen tracks from remix.nin featuring unreleased remixes, old website music etc..
A live album which includes bonus material etc..
Promo video's for the album, fragility bootlegs and probably loads more i can't think of..

I've never saw such a rediculous amount of material from one album, so what besides all that can be left for a 'Ultimate' re-issue?

sheepdean
02-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Ultimate reissue:
Multitracks
Everything in 5.1 (the main album is going to be anyway, assuming they're not doing only one track in it)
All the videos
Appendage in decent quality
Any kind of essay or notes on the making of it would be neat
Demos
Delicious cake

Any or all of those would warrant its existence imo

fillow
02-23-2012, 06:56 AM
You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs before they started to painfully cutting it down to just two, right? He certainly joked about the specific number of CDs, but that should be pretty good indication that there's shit-ton of material still left unreleased in any form, even including everything you mentioned plus the stuff that ended up on Niggy Tardust

BenAkenobi
02-23-2012, 07:12 AM
You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs...

it was more along the lines: "we had written 40+ songs and unless we went on to release 6 CDs we had to cut" (42? 47? not exact quote)

Reaps
02-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Fair point about the multi-tracks and cake.

I'd love to have a great-big-hard-back book that highlights the making of the album, recording process, making the video's, album art, lyrics etc..and generally the story behind what is and always will be my favorite album of all time.

jessamineny
02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
You know Trent once said he thought of releasing The Fragile on 6 CDs before they started to painfully cutting it down to just two, right?

That sounds more like a classic TR mindfuck.

Frozen Beach
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I want the vinyl mix on cd.

butter_hole
02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
But realistically what we're going to get is a reissue of the standard album plus a 5.1 mix

BRoswell
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind a package similar to the TDS deluxe edition. Full album remastered plus a 5.1 mix, with a third disc containing B-sides (or in this case, the tracks that were left off of the CD version) and demos (more demos than B-sides, obviously). If Trent and Co. decide to bless us with more than that, I'll be thrilled, but if that's all we get, I'll be more than happy.

Ryan
02-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I want the vinyl mix on cd.

Me too, but with Appendage added as well.

MrSlfDstruct
02-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Kind of a noob question, but what version of TF is considered the "director's cut" if you will? I know he's commented that the cd was really what everything was designed around, but is that the "preferred" version?

BenAkenobi
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Tortfeazor,
answer is just above your question

MrSlfDstruct
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Tortfeazor,
answer is just above your question

Que? Are you talking about the vinyl mix?

jmtd
02-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Que? Are you talking about the vinyl mix?

I think he's implying that the preferred mix is the Vinyl cut + appendage. I'm not sure I agree. Sure, the vinyl has two extra tracks, but appendage, whilst interesting, is clearly filler. I don't have much time for "the new flesh" either, tbh, although I do like 10 miles high.

There are virtually no segues between songs on the vinyl mix, which I think add to the experience rather than detract. It also lacks the "with decay" part of Ripe. I think the decay-less version is certainly interesting, but not preferred, to me at least.

BenAkenobi
02-24-2012, 06:05 AM
i don't know, ask Ryan the almighty. i've mostly seen people on forums agreeing about it. if you want more songs (Deep? Perfect drug? AATCHB?), then just tell us about it, we don't bite. i've erased my own wishlist long time ago.

sheepdean
02-24-2012, 06:14 AM
TPD should've been on TDS DE - although Deep NEEDS to be on this, it's the only NIN song on neither a halo nor a seed.

Vertigo
02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
TPD should've been on TDS DE - although Deep NEEDS to be on this, it's the only NIN song on neither a halo nor a seed.

Just curious, why do people usually associate TPD more with Downward Spiral than Fragile? Surely the Dave Ogilvie engineering gives it more of the latter's DNA.
Agreed on Deep, though.

Kind of a noob question, but what version of TF is considered the "director's cut" if you will? I know he's commented that the cd was really what everything was designed around, but is that the "preferred" version?

The remaster, hopefully. :D

As you said, I believe the CD version was supposed to be the main cut. The vinyl's 'alternate versions' of a few songs are mostly just adding a couple of additional loops to fill out the runtime, and of course many of the segues are removed because the tracklist is cut into smaller divisions. The two additional songs on the fifth side were a couple of the album's final outtakes (two of many, allegedly), and were again added because of the contraints of the format: partly to fill out the side's runtime, and partly to provide a more meaningful start and finish to the side. I guess Trent hadn't realised at the time just how obsessive us fans would get over every bit of material he produced, regardless of whether or not he considered it worthy to make the cut.
I can't remember the story behind Appendage on the cassette variant, I think it was another case of maximising the available storage. The track's essentially a remix by Charlie Clouser; aside from the original Please material I'm not sure how much Trent had to do with it.

sheepdean
02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
TPD came out in 1996 - before even Closure - so in terms of which album it's connected to, it's TDS. In terms of sound, it's nothing like most other NIN, so I don't think you can put it on an album just by ear.

Vertigo
02-24-2012, 07:46 AM
TPD came out in 1996 - before even Closure - so in terms of which album it's connected to, it's TDS. In terms of sound, it's nothing like most other NIN, so I don't think you can put it on an album just by ear.

The song was finished in 1996, but it only appeared (be it in film, soundtrack or single form) in '97, close to when work started on Fragile. Seems pretty fair to call it a halfway point chronologically - isn't it more relevant to categorise it based on the people involved? I do agree though that it stands apart from both albums musically.

sheepdean
02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I'd agree it's a halfway point, or even something entirely itself (TPD era?). But Closure is no doubt TDS, and it just gets complicated to start ordering things out of synch.

witte
02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
....although Deep NEEDS to be on this.....
Please NO​! This song has nothing to do with TF.

The Reason Being
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Doesn't TPD appearing on one of the We're In This Together singles render it Fragile era by default? Throwing a previous era's track on a current era's disc doesn't seem like something TR would do. Assuming he had total control over what went onto those singles...

fillow
02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I say leave out both TPD and Deep and save more space on CD for unreleased stuff!

We'll probably see both songs together anyway when interscope finally decides it's time for greatest hits album.

sheepdean
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I say leave out both TPD and Deep and save more space on CD for unreleased stuff!

We'll probably see both songs together anyway when interscope finally decides it's time for greatest hits album.

Please NO​! This song has nothing to do with TF.
Got to think of the fanbase at large though: not everyone buys anything beyond just the albums, it would be rather petty to leave two relatively hard to get songs (if you buy CD albums or don't live in a country where you can easily download) because they're not AS rare as some obscure demo for Starfuckers.

Yes, there will be more Starfuckers, I can feel it in the force. And Starsuckers NEEDS to be on there, because it's awesome.

seasonsinthesky
02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Just curious, why do people usually associate TPD more with Downward Spiral than Fragile? Surely the Dave Ogilvie engineering gives it more of the latter's DNA.
Ogilvie had very little to do with the sound of The Fragile; his credit is for "additional engineering" (which, in the case of that record, seems to mean 'engineer on a couple of tracks'). his work was much more prevalent in the TDS era, where his remix work was (comparably) everywhere. the only other major credit he has in the TF era, beyond his "Starfuckers" remix, is for mix engineer on AATCHB.

not to mention the engineers don't usually have much input on how anything sounds, though TR may have approached that divide differently.

The vinyl's 'alternate versions' of a few songs are mostly just adding a couple of additional loops to fill out the runtime...
it's actually the other way around – the CD and cassette versions have edited out the so-called "extended" parts of the vinyl mixes!

"The Perfect Drug" doesn't feel at all like TF until the ending, but the manic energy of the rest of the track fits TDS quite well. it really is quite the connecting track between eras. if it appears on TF deluxe, i will raise an eyebrow, as it wouldn't really fit at all.

but "Deep" would fit just fine. it sounds like "Where is Everybody?" and "No, You Don't" had an abortion. how does that not fit the sound of TF?!

jmtd
02-24-2012, 05:44 PM
it's actually the other way around – the CD and cassette versions have edited out the so-called "extended" parts of the vinyl mixes!

Is this substantiated or supposition?

Leviathant
02-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Is this substantiated or supposition?

It's complicated.
"Appendage" was added to Please to fill the tape out.

There are a few songs on the vinyl that are extended versions of what you might have on CD -- La Mer, Even Deeper, and maybe Where Is Everybody? However, the vinyl only has "Ripe", there's no "Decay"

There's a quote from TR on the topic of the different formats at NINwiki (http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Fragile_%28halo%29#Trent_Reznor_on_The_Fragile ).

seasonsinthesky
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
^ indeed. and as per TR, my comment is substantiated:

Simply splitting the sides up didn't work as well this time so we decided to include the other two tracks we had been considering ('10 miles high' and 'the new flesh') as well as use the full unedited versions of all the other songs on the record.

cheddamash
02-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Please NO​! [Deep] has nothing to do with TF.

Agreed entirely.

BRoswell
02-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Considering that Deep came out in between Things Falling Apart and And All That Could Have Been, I wouldn't see its inclusion on the reissue as much of a problem. That's not to say it HAS to be on there, but I wouldn't go apeshit if it was.

As far as The Perfect Drug goes...that's a bit more complicated. I'd love to see it released again in some form, but the reissue doesn't seem like the proper place for it. It exists in a weird time frame all its own. It WAS included on one of the We're In This Together singles though, so perhaps an inclusion wouldn't be so out of place. I doubt it'll be on this release though, especially given Trent's "meh" feelings on it.

Totally
02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd like to think TFA remixes get included in 5.1 or possibly some other newly worked remixes

Ryan
03-30-2012, 03:49 AM
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4048/image2mj.jpg

sven
03-30-2012, 03:57 AM
interesting!

profane
03-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Jup, I'm also hoping for an announcement!

witte
03-30-2012, 04:22 AM
The same for the HTDA facebookpage.
Something happening.

Ryan
03-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Trent, hurry up and post shit. I need to give you my money. And my penis.

sheepdean
03-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Honestly, the only reason for that imo is Rob needed a decent banner for the NIN timeline. I doubt the remaster will have exactly the same art, at least in deluxe packages.

Ryan
03-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Honestly, the only reason for that imo is Rob needed a decent banner for the NIN timeline. I doubt the remaster will have exactly the same art, at least in deluxe packages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMTithb5FEI

spahn
03-30-2012, 08:08 AM

i don't think they would reveal the art for the reissue without some formal announcement on the nin website/forum.

ninjaw
03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Marilyn manson and depeche mode and rob sheridan updated their banner recently too

screwdriver
03-30-2012, 10:29 PM

Respectfully disagree as to the first part. Out of all the albums and available art, that's the one they go with? In light of the known fact that Moulder has been mixing and the deluxe edition has been talked about forever? Too much of a coincidence...

nodylnai
03-31-2012, 10:39 AM
I really hope this is coming soon. Got a spot on my credit card just ready to go.

Incendiary Lover
04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
When the re-issue was announced, I assumed the 'missing' tracks would be included in 5.1 or elevated sound quality. Meaning- Appendage (NOT FILLER THIS A GREAT SONG), 10 Miles High, The New Flesh in their proper places. Its not necessarily implied with the re issue, but it would be a travesty if these tracks were ignored.

I would really like to see the extended intros and endings that appear on vinyl, keeping the segues from the CD version. Even though Metal appeared on a single, I have it in my proper Fragile mix and it fits nicely. Maybe instead of 3 Starfuckers remixes we could have the WITT edits and versions that appeared on the singles in one place along with Complications of the Flesh.

Demos would be awesome, especially for WITT. Lastly, though its a pipe dream, I would really like to know what came of the lost Fragile tracks.

Its a hefty wish list now that I see it in print. Regardless I'm waiting to spend too much money on every format released. The thought of a Fragile Deluxe package ala Ghosts... does things to me.

WorzelG
04-01-2012, 03:53 PM
After Bob Ezrin turned up on a thread in the old ETS talking a bit about his experience of sequencing the album, I really want some kind of documentary about the making of the album but it's probably a pipe dream

wight rabbit
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Appendage (NOT FILLER THIS A GREAT SONG)

That song IS filler, though... It was only put on the cassette version to fill up the time remaining on one side of the tape. It's, technically, a remix anyway. I would be fine without the song on the re-issue. However, "The New Flesh" AND "10 Miles High" should be included, as they work really well in the track placements on vinyl.

sheepdean
04-01-2012, 05:00 PM
It's filler by definition, but not by quality - many great tracks have been written tongue in cheek, as filler or half heartedly

Papagolash
04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I'd like to hear Somewhat Damaged with the original ending.

Hazekiah
04-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Interesting! I never knew about that. Found a couple images, but if anyone could point me towards a link collecting the whole "Fragile Diary" experience that would be AMAZING, thanks.

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/f/f2/Fragile_diary_070499_SD.jpg

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/9/95/Fragile_diary_071099_SD2_TDTWWAvid.jpg

sheepdean
04-01-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.theninhotline.net/halo99/01/01.htm
Scroll down to "journals".

Hazekiah
04-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Damn, I'd been hoping there were A LOT more of those entries than it seems there actually were, but that was still an awesome quick little read.

Thanks much!

:)

hobochic
04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
After Bob Ezrin turned up on a thread in the old ETS talking a bit about his experience of sequencing the album, I really want some kind of documentary about the making of the album but it's probably a pipe dream

Did anyone save/document Bob Ezrin's posts from that thread?

BenAkenobi
04-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Did anyone save/document Bob Ezrin's posts from that thread?

on ninwiki article for the fragile, naturally

Beta
04-02-2012, 02:08 AM
http://www.theninhotline.net/halo99/01/01.htm
Scroll down to "journals".

where were these journal entries posted? on nin.com? the web.archive.org page seems not to have archived nin.com around this time... just interested because then i'd expand the "news archive" article at the ninwiki...

icklekitty
04-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Demos? The Fragile? Please don't give me an erection at work.

WorzelG
04-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I'd like to hear Somewhat Damaged with the original ending.

Yeah, I love the 0-60 seconds vitriol of the last verse, but would be fun to hear the original

sheepdean
04-02-2012, 10:31 AM
where were these journal entries posted? on nin.com? the web.archive.org page seems not to have archived nin.com around this time... just interested because then i'd expand the "news archive" article at the ninwiki...
Nah, it was from the proto-NIN site, nin.nothing, I think.

piggy
04-02-2012, 09:49 PM
As long as we're touching on the making of The Fragile here, the other day I accidentally came across a great old interview with Alan Moulder:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm

I checked the NIN Hotline articles/interview archive and didn't see it (though there's another SOS interview with Alan from the same year, but it's got a different title). There's some Smashing Pumpkins content in this interview, but it's mostly about The Fragile. Pretty interesting stuff.

AgentofChaos
04-02-2012, 10:27 PM
As long as we're touching on the making of The Fragile here, the other day I accidentally came across a great old interview with Alan Moulder:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm

I checked the NIN Hotline articles/interview archive and didn't see it (though there's another SOS interview with Alan from the same year, but it's got a different title). There's some Smashing Pumpkins content in this interview, but it's mostly about The Fragile. Pretty interesting stuff.

Haha I knew there were 'lost tracks', some of which got used on Niggy, but come on this can't be a serious statement... arrangements, mixes, versions, ok, but SONGS? Why the fuck did I have to read that? Now I'm going to be sublimanlly excited for some kind of bonus disc(s) that is/are never going to see the light of day. I remember TR saying there was some left over stuff, but nothing really completed, fully fleshed out, or that we hadn't heard in some form somewhere else. So confused! Great read though.

"Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile, and these had to be whittled down to a much more modest number for the double-album format. Meanwhile, in order to intermittently alleviate the boredom and also to offset any feelings of paranoia over long-term non-achievement, mix sessions took place at various stages during the two-year period. Some tracks were, in fact, mixed more than a year before the album's completion in August of 1999, yet as a result there was also concern on the part of Reznor and Moulder pertaining to consistency of sound and feel. "I think doing it all in the same studio and with the same people helped in that regard," says Moulder. "Also, the material was pretty varied, and so that was more forgiving. Still, in the case of the first track that we'd done, 'Somewhat Damaged', we did have to go back and pull it into line. It just sounded a little more old-school Nine Inch Nails in terms of the drum pattern, the bass synthesizer and the guitars. Trent wanted to play guitar on this album more than keyboards, and during the course of it we'd evolved some pretty good guitar sounds and his style had changed to quite a degree, so we just put some of that on there.Fragile was a bit more complex than Downward Spiral, and so those kinds of subtleties applied to it."

ItsJustDave
04-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Nah, it was from the proto-NIN site, nin.nothing, I think.
Nope. These were in fact hosted at nin.com. I remember distinctly as promo for The Fragile was pretty much the birth of nin.com. Prior to that point, nin.com redirected to the Sister Machine Gun website. I don't know the particulars of how it eventually changed hands, but I've always been a bit curious as to whether or not Chris Randall sold it for a fat stack of cash.

Ryan
04-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Haha I knew there were 'lost tracks', some of which got used on Niggy, but come on this can't be a serious statement... arrangements, mixes, versions, ok, but SONGS? Why the fuck did I have to read that? Now I'm going to be sublimanlly excited for some kind of bonus disc(s) that is/are never going to see the light of day. I remember TR saying there was some left over stuff, but nothing really completed, fully fleshed out, or that we hadn't heard in some form somewhere else. So confused! Great read though.

"Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile, and these had to be whittled down to a much more modest number for the double-album format. Meanwhile, in order to intermittently alleviate the boredom and also to offset any feelings of paranoia over long-term non-achievement, mix sessions took place at various stages during the two-year period. Some tracks were, in fact, mixed more than a year before the album's completion in August of 1999, yet as a result there was also concern on the part of Reznor and Moulder pertaining to consistency of sound and feel. "I think doing it all in the same studio and with the same people helped in that regard," says Moulder. "Also, the material was pretty varied, and so that was more forgiving. Still, in the case of the first track that we'd done, 'Somewhat Damaged', we did have to go back and pull it into line. It just sounded a little more old-school Nine Inch Nails in terms of the drum pattern, the bass synthesizer and the guitars. Trent wanted to play guitar on this album more than keyboards, and during the course of it we'd evolved some pretty good guitar sounds and his style had changed to quite a degree, so we just put some of that on there.Fragile was a bit more complex than Downward Spiral, and so those kinds of subtleties applied to it."

::ningasm::

WorzelG
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
I hope this comes out before April next year. It's my 40th and it would be a great idea for a present for me, something completely frivolous. Any spare cash we have at the moment goes towards paying off our mortgage early

witte
04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Alan Moulder's audio interview done a couple of years ago: my favorite (http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2719355.htm)

A lot of TF talking.

Trent about recording TF: 'that was some of the best moments I had in my life creatively...'
Alan: 'that was my "dark side of the moon"'

The WITT snare drum story is awesome too.

hobochic
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan Moulder's audio interview done a couple of years ago: my favorite (http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2719355.htm)

A lot of TF talking.

Trent about recording TF: 'that was some of the best moments I had in my life creatively...'
Alan: 'that was my "dark side of the moon"'

The WITT snare drum story is awesome too.

Boner killer once they stop talking about The Fragile and start with The Killers

screwdriver
04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Boner killer once they stop talking about The Fragile and start with The Killers
the killers are pretty great, dude... man, if Alan Moulder loves 'em both, you'd think we all could too

wizfan
04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I was just thinking... remember that awesome TV ad with Trent singing TWIOT a cappella at the end? If Trent decides to release the multitracks for the entire Fragile album like he did with Year Zero, I'd totally make a version of TWIOT like the ad.

witte
04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
the killers are pretty great, dude... Man, if alan moulder loves 'em both, you'd think we all could do
edit: Disaggree

butter_hole
04-05-2012, 10:04 AM
!!! Fail !!!
shut up you cunt and let other people have opinions

Leviathant
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
nine_inch_nerd, butter_hole - consider this a pre-warning warning. You've both veered off into bad territory with those last two posts.

Cut it out.

Thanks.

Strohbie
04-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile

Just spend a moment thinking about how it would feel if there were 90 some unreleased tracks that came with the deluxe edition.

Ryan
04-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Just spend a moment thinking about how it would feel if there were 90 some unreleased tracks that came with the deluxe edition.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4458/imgjd.jpg

hobochic
04-07-2012, 06:25 AM
The mark of true expertise is knowing what to edit out - paraphrasing Frank Gehry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gehry)

I guess it'd be cool with a couple of completely unheard songs. If they were anything like some of the vinyl/B-sides tracks (The New Flesh/10 Miles High)<-- two of my fav TF-era tracks. I doubt the material would live up to expectations/the stuff that was released and I wasn't that taken by the Niggy Startdust-material either.