PDA

View Full Version : 2017.07.23 - Los Angeles, CA @ FYF Fest

TheBang
07-23-2017, 05:03 AM
Your Reviews

virushopper
07-24-2017, 03:09 AM
Love the weird order of songs but kind of bummed I didn't get "Somewhat Damaged". I knew when I saw Robin with that acoustic/electric guitar it was over.

Glad to hear "Something..." for the first time.

Lot's of blank faces during "The Lover".

Saw Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) in the crowd rocking it.

Overall I enjoyed the show.

Random tidbits:
-Hot girls everywhere!

bractune
07-24-2017, 04:27 AM
The setlist of the show tonight was similar to Bakersfield.

Something I Can Never have was a VERY good surprise.

I think the production was a lot more stripped down

I was by the rail and it was brutal for the first couple songs. Kind of reminded me of the old days.

Overall, I really loved the show as usual. I kind of wish he would throw in a couple more surprises. Then again, these are festival dates so I am not too shocked. Perhaps when there is a full blown NIN tour next year this could happen. I also would like to hear some more of the newer songs. At the end of the day though, I love ever second of it. So no complaints here.

Pureone
07-24-2017, 05:19 AM
The Lovers sounded way better than the Bakersfield show, but Burning Bright (Field on Fire) was a little off. I could not tell if his megaphone was broken. I was pretty much on the rail and could barely hear anything. It's still a hell of a live song though.

Something I Can Never Have was a nice surprise and sounded great.

Crowd was physical and rough, especially during Closer, where I was squished so hard and thrown around that I could not breathe for most of the song. Was a lot of fun!

virushopper
07-24-2017, 10:12 AM
but Burning Bright (Field on Fire) was a little off. I could not tell if his megaphone was broken. I was pretty much on the rail and could barely hear anything. It's still a hell of a live song though.
The mic went out several times.

Toadflax
07-24-2017, 03:44 PM
General thoughts (more in depth thoughts about the set in general in my Bakersfield post (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4546-2017-07-19-Bakersfield-CA-Rabobank-Arena?p=364279#post364279)):

- It was so nice to hear Wish early and actually be excited by it again rather than it just being part of the four song countdown-to-bedtime set.

- The placement of Wish and omission of Piggy had me thinking it was going to end up being a very mainstream set, which had me pleasantly surprised when they retained I Can't Give Everything Away, The Lovers, and Burning Bright from the Bakersfield set and even added SICNH. It was a good three act structure of general fan pleasing, hardcore fan pleasing, and back to general fan pleasing, which is about all you can ask from a festival set.

- Trent looks as good as he's ever looked. Still buff but very skinny rather than burly. Fucking gorgeous man, and his outfit makes me want to go shopping.

- Every time I looked over and saw Atticus rocking out, it made me happy.

- I was worried this set was just going to be a < version of Bakersfield, but it felt a little tighter and higher energy. Way less intimate, of course, but I appreciate that there were pros and cons to being at the small show and then the big show. I enjoyed both equally rather than feeling like the festival set was just okay, which was a very nice surprise.

- As for the lights, I was too close to give a shit about lighting, but I hope the lack of spectacle wasn't disappointing for people who watched from far back (i.e. casual fans for whom a light show would've made the experience better).

- Fuck, festival people can be assholes.

- On the above note, I felt embarrassed to be a NIN fan for a moment. After being relatively close for Solange and talking to and dancing with many lovely Solange fans, the tone changed when her set was over and some NIN fans started aggressively shoving their way to the front. I heard a girl say, "ugh, must be Nine Inch Nails fans" and was sad that one or two assholes could that quickly give a whole fandom a bad name. I made my way up politely and was still front and center about three feet from the rail- didn't need to be a dick to anyone.

- It's been a few years since I've been in such a big pit. We really take breathing for granted, guys.

3po1nt0
07-25-2017, 01:29 AM
i'll do an abbreviated in order commentary.

branches bones sounded great after the blown out mess that was bakersfield where i couldn't discern a single lyric. it was just mixed horribly there. at FYF it was pristine. the sound all night was excellent.

wish 2nd song in was a welcome surprise, got me very pumped and the crowd went ape. stellar moment. i only went to day 3 for RTJ > NIN and this was where i started to feel at home.

omitting piggy for SICNH was another unexpected thrill, albeit a subdued one. thought the audience around me was very respectful. it got very quiet about 25-30 feet from stage center/lined up with trent's mic. people were dialed in for the most part. i like that in a diverse/festival crowd. i heard a lot of different accents and languages, an indication of the population in LA or that people traveled far and wide to attend FYF / see NIN.

copy of a appearing just about midway into the set provided another energy boost. curveballs were definitely being thrown, for a bit at least.

gave up...but no burn preceding it. booo. still people were amped. i liked the ferocity

happy to hear a reprise of the bowie cover. don't worry panorama and likely riot, you'll get it too. the middle verses with DB's recorded vocals and trent's live vocals are an incredible tribute to the one performer i was never fortunate enough to see live. i wonder if he was ever in consideration to join in Wave goodbye shows, considering mike garson was there. in a way i feel that was the closest i came to seeing him while he was alive.

the stage lighting was not nearly green enough during reptile.

great destroyer was sonically a little more impressive at bakersfield but the visual kaleidoscope at FYF was an undeniably awesome spectacle in contrast to the other sparse lighting effects. the visuals in bakersfield were overall better also, and they used more cameras there. but it's all about the music right? (kinda)

H trio to close. THTF fits like a glove for the dance fans at a fest like this HLAH is the ultimate throwback, over 25 years old now and Hurt still yields new surprises upon every performance.

i do feel disappointed that the other 2 encore songs were dropped at both bakersfield and FYF. they definitely had time to play at least one of them and the stage setlist also had survivalism crossed out. whatever, i got into the show for $25 and found a bootleg shirt in the pit. "eryka badu" is spelled incorrectly but it's my size so that was a little bonus.

hope they come back to LA or nearby for another full show soon. i think this was my 15th time seeing them since 94, can't wait for the next one.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20246354_10214261400635805_7236653595237650214_n.j pg?oh=635423d14693591c92f2f66a7a3ae2e5&oe=59F247A0

guy8707
07-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Really enjoyed this show but I liked Bakersfield better. I got into the fest around 9:30 and things seemed kind of dead but a ton of NIN fans showed up after 10pm.

TheRealNs1
07-26-2017, 09:08 PM
$25 and you got a setlist? impressive.

3po1nt0
07-27-2017, 01:11 PM
$25 and you got a setlist? impressive.

that setlist wasn't mine. it was someone on the rail

but the bootleg shirt was a nice ROI plus

suprefan
07-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Really enjoyed this show but I liked Bakersfield better. I got into the fest around 9:30 and things seemed kind of dead but a ton of NIN fans showed up after 10pm.

Well, everyone had just left after Solange finished, so thats why it was chill for about the time that you got in there. And I imagine you did not walk around the festival to see 5 stages of music either, so people were kind of pre occupied.

Seems as though theyll never play the full encore. Just cut those 2 songs out and leave Hurt, it makes it an easier pill to swallow when you find out what got taken out.