PDA

View Full Version : 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Pages : [1] 2

TheBang
05-12-2017, 03:24 PM
http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2017_admat_FB.jpg

bryan_NIN65
05-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Going, trying to figure out if I am going with my wife or mom now. I think I would rather go with Mom, lol. Took the wife to Dallas last time she is sick of seeing them. I bought 3 day tickets but will probably waste or try to sell the other days, hotel cost for 4 nights is why I hate festivals.

ninlive
05-12-2017, 07:53 PM
I'm already wanting to do a meetup with everyone from here that is going. We can hit up a bar or something before/after the show?

SM Rollinger
05-12-2017, 11:20 PM
finally a thread for this show, i just reserved my rental car for this today too.

im down for a meetup for sure. ets smokeout!

any idea when single day passes go onsale? how close to the show have they done it in the past?

edit: ministry is playing friday too, correct?

allegro
05-13-2017, 11:39 AM
For informational purposes:

Riot Fest is now held at Douglas Park in Chicago's North Lawndale neighborhood.

It used to be held at Humboldt Park in Chicago's West Town neighborhood.

Neither are what people are used to with Lollapalooza in Grant Park; Grant Park is downtown (Chicago's "Loop" neighborhood) with many hotels and restaurants and tourist attractions nearby. North Lawndale is not any of those things.

See this (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/redeye-5-things-about-riot-fest-douglas-park-20150520-htmlstory.html) regarding North Lawndale.

And this (https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150603/north-lawndale/riot-fests-move-douglas-park-puts-concert-near-drug-markets-gun-crimes).

Stats here (http://crime.chicagotribune.com/).

I'm not saying be afraid: Just, use street smarts and be careful.

magnolia
05-13-2017, 10:02 PM

Yeah, husband and I will be going again this year, went last year... Highly suggest just grabbing an Uber to get there. They dropped us right near the entrance gates all 3 days, no problem.

allegro
05-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah, husband and I will be going again this year, went last year... Highly suggest just grabbing an Uber to get there. They dropped us right near the entrance gates all 3 days, no problem.
Good idea.

ManBurning
05-13-2017, 11:54 PM

It used to be held at Humboldt Park in Chicago's West Town neighborhood.

Neither are what people are used to with Lollapalooza in Grant Park; Grant Park is downtown (Chicago's "Loop" neighborhood) with many hotels and restaurants and tourist attractions nearby. North Lawndale is not any of those things.

See this (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/redeye-5-things-about-riot-fest-douglas-park-20150520-htmlstory.html) regarding North Lawndale.

And this (https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150603/north-lawndale/riot-fests-move-douglas-park-puts-concert-near-drug-markets-gun-crimes).

Stats here (http://crime.chicagotribune.com/).

Hmm, as I was reading these articles I almost second guessed wanting to go here, Chicago basically being the murder capital of the USA and all.
Until I remembered I used to live in Winnipeg, basically the murder capital of Canada. It's basically been deemed "Canada's Chicago"

I think I can handle it.

Winnipeg? Murder capital you say?

Yep. Local t-shirt shop even capitalized on the hype and made Hoody's and t-shirts lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/sweatshirt-notes-citys-murderous-reputation/article1021250/
http://wildplanetmusic.com/IMAGES/MurderCap/Andrea.jpg

allegro
05-14-2017, 12:02 AM
I'm from Detroit, we have shirts that say "Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten."

Anyway, Chicago is not the murder capital of the U.S. (https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/); and only certain Chicago neighborhoods have all those gang-related murders and the violence and crime (Chicago is a city of many neighborhoods); one of the neighborhoods on our nightly news all the time is North Lawndale (http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/north-lawndale).

Comparing to Winnipeg with a murder rate of 2.5 per 100,000 -- in 2017, Chicago's was 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents, half that of St. Louis with 59.3 homicides per 100,000 people.

Homicides per 100,000 people:
https://www.thetrace.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/8247121.png

Anyway, the point is: The fest isn't in an area full of bars and restaurants; I would never even dream of parking my car there. Uber it or cab it, then stay on the festival grounds, don't wander around, do meet-ups in a better area. Then everything should be just fine.

ManBurning
05-14-2017, 01:47 AM
Comparing to Winnipeg with a murder rate of 2.5 per 100,000 -- in 2017, Chicago's was 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents, half that of St. Louis with 59.3 homicides per 100,000 people.

Holy smokes. These are some INCREDIBLE stats! These stats make Canadian homicide stats a joke. 59.3 is insane!!

Back on topic:

Do you think it's safe to tell boarder guards when flying into the US you are attending a music festival called "Riot fest" when entering their country lol?
If I end up attending this show, I probably want to avoid using the word "riot" when trying to cross the boarder.

I should probably just stick to saying "Going to see Nine Inch Nails" hopefully they don't question anymore than that. Am I being over-paranoid even thinking of this?

allegro
05-14-2017, 02:09 AM
I think you're onto something. Just say you're seeing Nine Inch Nails.

Hey, it's not a lie. :)

bobbie solo
05-14-2017, 02:36 AM
Moved our trip to Curacao around a bit, so I'll be there Friday with the missus now. Doubt I'll go the rest of the weekend unless some seriously dope shit is happening one of the other days.

Finally going to eat here on this trip:

https://kumascorner.com/

virushopper
05-14-2017, 01:11 PM
edit: ministry is playing friday too, correct?
Yep, Sin confirned it on Facebook

bobbie solo
05-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Would be nice to finally catch some Ministry. Play the hits Al, play the hits.

SM Rollinger
05-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Would be nice to finally catch some Ministry. Play the hits Al, play the hits.
The last Wacken set was over half old stuff.

edit: hoping tr will do vox on SUPERNAUT. regardless, 17 year old me is freaking out over the prospect of seeing my 2 favorite bands a on the same day. hell 34 year old me is too!

ManBurning
05-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Is anyone that is not from Chicago and thinking of going to this show going to base it on the setlist for FYF or would you rather just take the gamble and NOT look at the setlist before hand.

There are nearly 6 weeks in between shows, it'll be hard to not look at the setlist from either FYF or Panorama for that long, but at the same time, if attending one of these shows, the surprise element is always nice as well.

Krazy
05-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Is anyone that is not from Chicago and thinking of going to this show going to base it on the setlist for FYF or would you rather just take the gamble and NOT look at the setlist before hand.

There are nearly 6 weeks in between shows, it'll be hard to not look at the setlist from either FYF or Panorama for that long, but at the same time, if attending one of these shows, the surprise element is always nice as well.

Im taking a gamble to see what the lighting and set list is like, and possibly if it goes overboard on the political side (I personally don't think it will go "overboard") in that order. I'm also on the fence since it's a festival and can't stand the festival crowds.

If it was in a proper venue I wouldn't even think twice about buying tickets. According to the internet Riot Fest allows about 50,000/day in attendance so getting tickets shouldn't be an issue at all. Also helps that I'm less than an hour and a half drive from it, not including traffic.

bobbie solo
05-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I always look at setlists, and plan on it again this time. I wont listen to live audio though, that way the new EP stuff/ new arrangements, etc sound fresh.

Rollinger, I'd love it as much as you, but I severely doubt Trent & Al will be doing Supernaut. Trent can't sing like that anymore, and doing that track out of the blue would require a decent amount of rehearsing that it doesn't seem likely either party will be able to do together prior.

witte
05-21-2017, 04:40 AM
when does normally start the single day sale? thnx

SM Rollinger
05-21-2017, 08:48 PM
ditto

edit: i made reservations in Elgin yesterday, this IS fuckin happening

Krazy
05-21-2017, 09:23 PM

ditto

edit: i made reservations in Elgin yesterday, this IS fuckin happening

No one really knows, someone earlier in this thread just said "closer to the festival dates".

I wouldnt sweat trying to secure tickets as it looks like this festival holds ~50,000 people per day.

sonic_discord
05-22-2017, 11:19 PM

Well, last year the single-day & two-day passes went on sale on June 28th, but RiotFest was also almost two weeks earlier in September, so you can probably just assume (though they're the only ones that know for sure, of course) that they'll go on sale in early July, if that helps.

witte
05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Well, last year the single-day & two-day passes went on sale on June 28th, but RiotFest was also almost two weeks earlier in September, so you can probably just assume (though they're the only ones that know for sure, of course) that they'll go on sale in early July, if that helps.
Well, I hope that around that date we know more about the tour strategy. So I can make a choice. :)

SM Rollinger
05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
what did the single day passes run last year, cost wise?

sonic_discord
05-23-2017, 06:56 PM
what did the single day passes run last year, cost wise?

I've never gone before, so I don't know for sure, but a quick Google search found a Groupon deal where they were $70 each.

magnolia
05-23-2017, 07:38 PM

Eh? Last year Riot Fest was Sept 16/17/18. This year it's Sept 15/16/17. Call me crazy, but that seems to be the same weekend? I would wager the single day tickets go on sale around the very same time as they did last year, and everyone should stop worrying about it. There'll be plenty of notice about it, and there will be plenty of tickets!

sonic_discord
05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Eh? Last year Riot Fest was Sept 16/17/18. This year it's Sept 15/16/17. Call me crazy, but that seems to be the same weekend? I would wager the single day tickets go on sale around the very same time as they did last year, and everyone should stop worrying about it. There'll be plenty of notice about it, and there will be plenty of tickets!

Sorry, I was thinking of the DENVER RiotFest, which was September 2-4 (I had a few friends go to that one).

Krazy
05-23-2017, 10:36 PM
I've never gone before, so I don't know for sure, but a quick Google search found a Groupon deal where they were $70 each.

LOL

Decided to google it, shows single day tickets were $92.37 and "up to 19% off" on Groupon back in 2015, depending on what day it was for. So expect around $100.00 for single days which lines up with similar festivals of this size.

SM Rollinger
06-01-2017, 12:54 PM
At The Drive In is the only band that was announced today that I would be interested in seeing, with that being said, im sure there won't be an issue with getting tickets. I still wanna know when they go on sale though...

When do they usually announce set times?

magnolia
06-02-2017, 11:19 AM
At The Drive In is the only band that was announced today that I would be interested in seeing, with that being said, im sure there won't be an issue with getting tickets. I still wanna know when they go on sale though...

When do they usually announce set times?

It makes me laugh that I am from El Paso, and this will still be the first time I'll get to see At The Drive In live. They've only played a couple of hometown shows, and I always manage to miss them. Have to go all the way to Chicago just to accomplish it... [emoji57]

Like most festivals, they don't normally announce set times until about 2 weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninlive
06-02-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm just hoping NIN and New Order are on the same night. That would be rad.

kargath
06-03-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm just hoping NIN and New Order are on the same night. That would be rad.
Not sure if you went to Coachella 05 or not, but it would be pretty awesome to see that night recreated with NO on the same stage just prior to NIN.

ManBurning
06-05-2017, 03:23 PM
I think the news today of a new EP just sealed the deal for me to want to attend this show even more now.

sonic_discord
06-05-2017, 08:13 PM
I think the news today of a new EP just sealed the deal for me to want to attend this show even more now.

Yeah, no kidding! I was just thinking how I couldn't be more excited for this show since I did not expect to be seeing NIN again so soon, but now we will have TWO EPs of new material that will potentially be played. The last time I saw NIN was in Tinley Park on the Soundgarden tour and TR said they wouldn't be touring again for a long time, yet here we are a mere (in NIN terms) three years later and there will even be new material on the setlist (most likely) to boot!

xfocalinx
06-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Tickets have finally been purchased. I go to Riot fest every year, no way i'm missing this one!

ninlive
06-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Not sure if you went to Coachella 05 or not, but it would be pretty awesome to see that night recreated with NO on the same stage just prior to NIN.

I wasn't and my 17 year old self still wishes he could have gone to that festival! So, this could definitely make up for it!

kargath
06-13-2017, 10:24 PM
I wasn't and my 17 year old self still wishes he could have gone to that festival! So, this could definitely make up for it!
Fingers crossed for a decent poster as well.

On a side note. My wife and I decided to do VIP and we also registered for a locker. If they're big enough to protect posters, I'm more than happy to store anyone's I can fit as long as you're willing to work around my schedule to drop off and pick up. Locker is in the VIP area, so it should be reasonably safe.

somewhat_
06-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Daily lineups being released tomorrow at 10 am CT.

SM Rollinger
06-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Sweet New Order and Saul Williams on Friday, single day passes on sale tomorrow.

somewhat_
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
I don't think Friday could have turned out much better. I was going to make a final decision after panorama but I might buy on Friday. It looks like they will have single day VIP and deluxe VIP options too.

Swykk
06-21-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm going to try and get a VIP for Friday and I'm still holding on to a tiny amount of hope that NIN does YZ (we'll find out tomorrow).

somewhat_
06-21-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm going to try and get a VIP for Friday and I'm still holding on to a tiny amount of hope that NIN does YZ (we'll find out tomorrow).

Just so you're aware, the deluxe VIP and ultimate VIP are the only options that allows access to the separate viewing area. I've read in the past it hasn't been at the front of the stage, but at the soundboard. I'm sure everyone has different reasons for VIP but I'm not sure they do a real good job of letting people know that regular VIP doesn't include access to the separate viewing area.

bobbie solo
06-21-2017, 03:24 PM
NIN's day here is very, very underwhelming for me. If the single day tix are still a decent price, then I guess we'll go, but I was really hoping to get some other bands that day. Hopefully they get announced doing an album straight through (doubtful) or some more good bands get announced for that day. Bleggh.

somewhat_
06-21-2017, 03:49 PM
NIN's day here is very, very underwhelming for me. If the single day tix are still a decent price, then I guess we'll go, but I was really hoping to get some other bands that day. Hopefully they get announced doing an album straight through (doubtful) or some more good bands get announced for that day. Bleggh.

Single day GA's are $69.98

sonic_discord
06-21-2017, 03:50 PM
So, single-day passes are "starting at $69.98." Looks like my guess earlier in this thread was right on the fucking money.

Ash512
06-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Single day GA's are $69.98

Wow. It's probably been close to 10 years since the last time I paid so little to see NIN!
Plane ticket should even that out :)

ninlive
06-21-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm cool seeing DFA, New Order and NIN in one day! That's all I need!

implanted_microchip
06-21-2017, 06:43 PM
NIN, New Order, Saul Williams, DFA and Liars in one day sounds amazing. I don't see how that isn't good enough.

SM Rollinger
06-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Awesome, I might just go for the delux if its not too expensive.

bobbie solo
06-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Danzig will be doing How The Gods Kill & Wu will do Enter The Wu-Tang in full at Riot Fest. So no NIN full album performance, as expected. Those are pretty good ones at least, just not on NIN's day of course. UGH!

LOVEANDZOMBIES
06-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Danzig will be doing How The Gods Kill & Wu will do Enter The Wu-Tang in full at Riot Fest. So no NIN full album performance, as expected. Those are pretty good ones at least, just not on NIN's day of course. UGH!

Yeah I was pretty disappointed to see that this morning. Guess Trent trolled us with the announcement image...

https://scontent.fsnc1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17917494_10155053737121221_5357215857442033699_o.j pg?oh=ad22e3dffb702d88901d623686bd20ba&oe=59E5C332

implanted_microchip
06-22-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm almost relieved because if Year Zero was getting played I would feel obligated to go this

kargath
06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Who said that just because there's an officially announced list of bands playing specific albums means that there aren't other bands doing it "just for fun"?

bryan_NIN65
06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Who said that just because there's an officially announced list of bands playing specific albums means that there aren't other bands doing it "just for fun"?

Took the words outta my mouth.

SM Rollinger
06-22-2017, 10:56 PM
So is it too early to start talking meet up?

Ill be in town Thursday night, down for whatever.

This is gonna be epic guys!

xfocalinx
06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
I'm so relieved Fridays lineup is lackluster simply because I was planning on going to the NIN stage as soon as doors opened to try to get front row.

Bachy
06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Got my ticket. Easy part's over. Now comes the unbearably long wait. This will be my ninth time seeing NIN live.

SM Rollinger
06-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Got mine, this will be my 4th time and first at a festival.

Although im probably more hyped for MINISTRY at this point... ;)

Swykk
06-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Got a VIP Friday ticket. Hoping for an awesome set list that includes at least 1-3 songs I've not seen live before. It's also my ninth time, Bachy.

somewhat_
06-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Anyone go deluxe VIP? I'm wondering how long those will last since they don't have tiered pricing.

Edit: they just added a second tier. 1st tier is sold out.

kargath
06-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Anyone go deluxe VIP? I'm wondering how long those will last since they don't have tiered pricing.

I did deluxe vip for the full weekend back when nin was just announced and right when they went on sale. I highly recommend reserving a locker in the vip area if they still have any left.

This will be my 13th

http://www.nintourhistory.com/profile.php?userid=4796

Still annoyed that my parents wouldn't let me go to the nin/Bowie show...that should have been my first.

Had to miss the LITS dates due to conflicts. Really happy I went down to voodoo fest a couple years ago though...great show. Wish a bootleg would turn up for that one.

joel
06-26-2017, 01:40 AM
I'll be in chicago on the 13th if there's meetups happening. I'm mostly planning to wander the city and stare, but am always amicable to imbibe.

rewritingyesterday
07-04-2017, 01:42 AM

Deluxe VIP x2 here. Looking forward to seeing NIN ("T"NIN?) and QOTSA again!

sonic_discord
07-04-2017, 03:06 AM
This will be my 7th NIN show. I missed the Wave Goodbye tour because it didn't come to MN and the Chicago date sold out too fast. I still (and always will) regret not finding a way to catch one of those shows, but back before they started touring again, I was really crushed. I feared that I missed my last opportunity to see my favorite band live and would never see them again. Glad that's not the case. I'll never make that mistake again, though. I guess that's why I caught them three times during the 2013/2014 tours. I saw QotSA open for NIN in 2005 for the With Teeth tour, but I wasn't as familiar with Queens as I am now. I'm excited to see them again! I'll also be seeing them in Minneapolis after RiotFest too. Should be fun!

kargath
07-04-2017, 10:43 AM
This will be my 7th NIN show. I missed the Wave Goodbye tour because it didn't come to MN and the Chicago date sold out too fast. I still (and always will) regret not finding a way to catch one of those shows, but back before they started touring again, I was really crushed. I feared that I missed my last opportunity to see my favorite band live and would never see them again. Glad that's not the case. I'll never make that mistake again, though. I guess that's why I caught them three times during the 2013/2014 tours. I saw QotSA open for NIN in 2005 for the With Teeth tour, but I wasn't as familiar with Queens as I am now. I'm excited to see them again! I'll also be seeing them in Minneapolis after RiotFest too. Should be fun!
What fest is in MN? Or did I miss something and some standalone shows get added?

I went to the "first annual rivers edge music fest" in 2012 over in St. Paul and really wish it would have actually been repeated. Really well organized for an inaugural year. I'd definitely consider driving up from Chicago again for fests up your way.

sonic_discord
07-05-2017, 06:16 PM
What fest is in MN? Or did I miss something and some standalone shows get added?

I went to the "first annual rivers edge music fest" in 2012 over in St. Paul and really wish it would have actually been repeated. Really well organized for an inaugural year. I'd definitely consider driving up from Chicago again for fests up your way.

They aren't doing a festival in MN, I was referring to RiotFest. Chicago is too close for me to pass up and It's a fun city to visit. I'll be driving down and renting a place on AirBnB.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
07-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Is anyone planning on filming? I may take a go pro if possible as well as my iPhone 7 plus. Just wondering if there's any sort of plan to capture these shows properly either by the community (TOIOU style) or by some other effort? Thoughts?

SM Rollinger
07-16-2017, 07:16 AM
Is anyone planning on filming? I may take a go pro if possible as well as my iPhone 7 plus. Just wondering if there's any sort of plan to capture these shows properly either by the community (TOIOU style) or by some other effort? Thoughts?
Im gonna do my thing with the audio. I plan on taping Ministry and Saul Williams too, and if anybody has any requests, let me know.

kargath
07-17-2017, 05:56 PM
I might bring in either an hd cam or a recorder...or both. It usually bugs my wife, so I typically don't.

If I can figure out an easy way to get a monopod in, I'm more likely to do video.

mostlymad
07-19-2017, 10:38 PM
I have a ticket. I'm going to do my best to get there as early as I can. It may be trickier than I thought when I bought the ticket. At least I have the ticket. That was half the battle.

bobbie solo
07-20-2017, 01:01 AM
Based on tonight's setlist I think I'm out for this. I was hoping for some more older, underplayed gems and it doesn't look like that's happening at all. Loving the new material though and I wished we got pretty much all of it instead of tired tracks like Survivalism & THTF for the billionth time. I think I'll stick with Panorama and sit tight till next year's headlining gigs.

muse-lyre candy
07-22-2017, 07:56 PM
so when this festival first posted on nin i was all over it! the band line-up screaming my name (if only in my own head...) only i have never been to Chicago and finding the intimidation factor a bit overwhelming; hitting a Chicago location solo and not being familiar with the area. Then Aftershock popped up and won my money due to location location location baby... though i am finding myself pinning for RIOT FEST over Aftershock (again everything to do with the line-up)....
so now i guess i leave it up to fate (philosophizing that things happen for a reason)
i am timidly exploring airfare, driving options, then hotels; but will leave it up to extra ticket/bailing/ life happens- madness in ETS-dom for the ticket (with desire of upper VIP echelons) Hey if i have to meet up with someone to purchase a ticket then that will be one more person that i will know once i get there...lol
RIOT FEST; you have the best fucking band line-up out of these festivals so far!
:rolleyes:

how can one not have an erection when looking at this menu?
Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, Jawbreaker, New Order, Paramore, Prophets of Rage, M.I.A., Wu-Tang Clan, Mike D, A Day To Remember, At the Drive In, Danzig, Gogol Bordello, Taking Back Sunday, Dirty Heads, Vic Mensa, TV on the Radio, Ministry, Dinosaur Jr., New Found Glory, FIDLAR, Bad Brains, Death From Above 1979, Action Bronson, Pennywise, Built to Spill, X, Peaches, The Lawrence Arms, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Orwells, Bayside, Say Anything, Mayday Parade, Best Coast, Cap'n Jazz, The Cribs, Dead Cross, Streetlight Manifesto, Minus the Bear, The Menzingers, LIARS, GWAR, Buzzcocks, GBH, Real Friends, Hot Water Music, Shabazz Palaces, Andrew W.K., Fishbone, The Story So Far, State Champs, Four Year Strong, INVSN, Beach Slang, that dog., Knuckle Puck, Black Pistol Fire, Chon, Slaves (UK), The Hotelier, Mad Caddies, The Flatliners, Dessa, Cockney Rejects, Saul Williams, Versus, Engine 88, Nothing More, Radar State, Alice Bag, RVIVR, Tobacco, Seaway, Like Pacific, Sleep On It, Grayscale, Downtown Boys, The Smith Street Band, Potty Mouth, The Regrettes, Culture Abuse, Skating Polly, HDBeenDope, Gazebos, Warm Brew, Kitten Forever, Upset, Cold Beat, Gin Rummy, The Voluptuous Horror Of Karen Black, And Featuring Hellzapoppin Circus Sideshow Revue

Zimbo
07-23-2017, 07:33 PM
This will be my 16th show. God I am sick of festivals and I wish the lodging/transportation in the area was better too. But honestly, this is probably the best festival lineup I've seen. Another festival, another NIN/QOTSA double draw and FINALLY QOTSA getting their due as headliner.

witte
07-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Are there EU people making this trip to Chicago?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

muse-lyre candy
07-25-2017, 03:24 PM
there must've been a typo, i don't see DM or The Cure on the bill..

i penis erection-envy all who are going to this show..
i may end up biting the bullet, so-to-speak, for this show and just do it!
i'll just make sure my life insurance is paid up and my will is up to date before making the plunge...
D'oh!

Dustinhxc
07-25-2017, 09:05 PM
My wife and I will be going to NYC and This Chicago show! From MN. Cant wait! :D

darkreverend
07-31-2017, 10:32 PM
so when this festival first posted on nin i was all over it! the band line-up screaming my name (if only in my own head...) only i have never been to Chicago and finding the intimidation factor a bit overwhelming; hitting a Chicago location solo and not being familiar with the area. Then Aftershock popped up and won my money due to location location location baby... though i am finding myself pinning for RIOT FEST over Aftershock (again everything to do with the line-up)....
so now i guess i leave it up to fate (philosophizing that things happen for a reason)
i am timidly exploring airfare, driving options, then hotels; but will leave it up to extra ticket/bailing/ life happens- madness in ETS-dom for the ticket (with desire of upper VIP echelons) Hey if i have to meet up with someone to purchase a ticket then that will be one more person that i will know once i get there...lol
RIOT FEST; you have the best fucking band line-up out of these festivals so far!

how can one not have an erection when looking at this menu?
Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, Jawbreaker, New Order, Paramore, Prophets of Rage, M.I.A., Wu-Tang Clan, Mike D, A Day To Remember, At the Drive In, Danzig, Gogol Bordello, Taking Back Sunday, Dirty Heads, Vic Mensa, TV on the Radio, Ministry, Dinosaur Jr., New Found Glory, FIDLAR, Bad Brains, Death From Above 1979, Action Bronson, Pennywise, Built to Spill, X, Peaches, The Lawrence Arms, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Orwells, Bayside, Say Anything, Mayday Parade, Best Coast, Cap'n Jazz, The Cribs, Dead Cross, Streetlight Manifesto, Minus the Bear, The Menzingers, LIARS, GWAR, Buzzcocks, GBH, Real Friends, Hot Water Music, Shabazz Palaces, Andrew W.K., Fishbone, The Story So Far, State Champs, Four Year Strong, INVSN, Beach Slang, that dog., Knuckle Puck, Black Pistol Fire, Chon, Slaves (UK), The Hotelier, Mad Caddies, The Flatliners, Dessa, Cockney Rejects, Saul Williams, Versus, Engine 88, Nothing More, Radar State, Alice Bag, RVIVR, Tobacco, Seaway, Like Pacific, Sleep On It, Grayscale, Downtown Boys, The Smith Street Band, Potty Mouth, The Regrettes, Culture Abuse, Skating Polly, HDBeenDope, Gazebos, Warm Brew, Kitten Forever, Upset, Cold Beat, Gin Rummy, The Voluptuous Horror Of Karen Black, And Featuring Hellzapoppin Circus Sideshow Revue

I live in Chicago. Getting to and from the festival won't be scary or dangerous due to the crowds. This festival is not in a great part of town, but there will be so many people it will be fine. I just would suggest staying in a better neighborhood if you can. Not a huge deal if you can't though.

SM Rollinger
08-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Really hyped for this now, but its gonna be a long 6 weeks.

kargath
08-01-2017, 07:39 AM
I have to admit. I'm going to be kinda pissed if he pulls his NY stunt and plays a smaller Chicago show during Riot Fest weekend after I spent $1300 on deluxe vip for the weekend just to try to make the overall experience easier on my wife (I won't get into that detail, just trust me it was the only way for us to make it). A single show would have been less expensive and far easier.

How did people get on the email list for it? I definitely didn't have anything. Not like they'd know who was in NY...

I want to make sure I'm on whatever list just in case they do a Chicago show that doesn't conflict with the fest.

bobbie solo
08-01-2017, 11:59 AM
I have to admit. I'm going to be kinda pissed if he pulls his NY stunt and plays a smaller Chicago show during Riot Fest weekend after I spent $1300 on deluxe vip for the weekend just to try to make the overall experience easier on my wife (I won't get into that detail, just trust me it was the only way for us to make it). A single show would have been less expensive and far easier.

How did people get on the email list for it? I definitely didn't have anything. Not like they'd know who was in NY...

I want to make sure I'm on whatever list just in case they do a Chicago show that doesn't conflict with the fest.

Order something from nin.com

kargath
08-01-2017, 01:56 PM
I have.. lots of stuff. All the stuff...

Order something from nin.com

m0reta
08-01-2017, 06:32 PM
I'm in the same boat as you kargath but hopefully 'lessthan' is still valid once we find any ticket links. :-D And of course that it's while I am still IN CHICAGO and not flying home. *curses*

kargath
08-01-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as you kargath but hopefully 'lessthan' is still valid once we find any ticket links. :-D And of course that it's while I am still IN CHICAGO and not flying home. *curses*That's okay. I got foolied (no foolies!) the worst back in 2005.

First show announced in years..Coachella. Being from Chicago, I had never heard of such a thing, but since no tour was announced at the time..sure, why not look into it.

I asked the girl I had just started dating (now my wife) if she'd want to go. To my surprise she immediately said yes. So we also decide to spend the week after in L.A. since neither of us had been there before.

A few weeks after these plans are solidified...of course..they're playing TWO SHOWS in Chicago during that week.. dicks.

I mean..wtf..who schedules a tour to jump from California to Chicago a few days apart.

On the plus side, we enjoyed the Coachella experience and went back for 06, 07 & 10. It's just gotten way too expensive to keep that up, plus...I dunno..it's not the same as it was those first couple years.

mostlymad
08-01-2017, 06:50 PM
I'm just going to have to put hope in that scheduled tour next year. Unless something were closer to my house, there's no way I'd get to go without planning ahead. But I live where the bands I like tend to skip. Therefore, I hope the Riot Fest show is enough to make up for it until next year. As long as things go well and there is a tour. I'm not a big festival person. I love New Order, too, though. That was enough to get me to buy a ticket. And to hope three months of healing from surgery is enough.

Dustinhxc
08-02-2017, 08:22 PM
This is going to be so fun. Went to panorama just for nin. At least at this fest there are other rock / metal bands. Stoked for Ministry! Would be cool if they added a show but hopefully were still in town not driving back. (flying back like we did w NYC.)

allegro
08-02-2017, 09:45 PM
back in 2005.

First show announced in years..Coachella.

I mean..wtf..who schedules a tour to jump from California to Chicago a few days apart..

My Husband and I did '05 Coachella PLUS the two shows at the Congress. :p

allegro
08-02-2017, 09:48 PM
I live in Chicago. Getting to and from the festival won't be scary or dangerous due to the crowds. This festival is not in a great part of town, but there will be so many people it will be fine. I just would suggest staying in a better neighborhood if you can. Not a huge deal if you can't though.
There are no hotels in that neighborhood (North Lawndale). Uber or limo is how everybody does this.

kargath
08-02-2017, 10:46 PM
My Husband and I did '05 Coachella PLUS the two shows at the Congress. :p

Salt in the wound!

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 01:42 AM
i found a hostel approx 5.3 miles away near Lincoln Park. I'm guessing i'd just 'uber' it? also I've never stayed at a hostel before.
though I'm not sure to book anything at this point. maybe i'll wait to get a ticket first...?
lol :rolleyes:

Swykk
08-03-2017, 06:43 AM
I'm more than a bit concerned about how my dumb body is going to hold up at an all day likely hot outdoor show (injured my ankle recently but it seems to be healing; neuropathy is the real bastard) but fuck it, I'm in anyway. Excited to see Ministry and New Order for the first time and the ninth time for NIN. Would be happy to do a meet up with ETS people too. Let me know.

OSLIN
08-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Want to get to this show badly. Hoping they come to Cleveland for the tour next year.

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 12:21 PM
@swykk:
lots of water, and some fruit snacks or protein bars in pocket, some motrin (start the night before and follow recommendations on bottle), an ankle support wrap (sold at grocery stores usually same isle as vitamins and aspirin), and most importantly REALLY GOOD shoes that have already been broken in...
:)

mostlymad
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm more than a bit concerned about how my dumb body is going to hold up at an all day likely hot outdoor show (injured my ankle recently but it seems to be healing; neuropathy is the real bastard) but fuck it, I'm in anyway. Excited to see Ministry and New Order for the first time and the ninth time for NIN. Would be happy to do a meet up with ETS people too. Let me know.

I'm right there with you. I have been healing from this surgery pretty well. I'll be 3 months from the day of. I got some dumb virus the last few days, and I feel like I took a few steps back in healing. I still want to go for the same reasons as you. Thinking about wearing the ets shirt I bought.

Swykk
08-03-2017, 02:19 PM
@swykk:
lots of water, and some fruit snacks or protein bars in pocket, some motrin (start the night before and follow recommendations on bottle), an ankle support wrap (sold at grocery stores usually same isle as vitamins and aspirin), and most importantly REALLY GOOD shoes that have already been broken in...
:)

I have most of these things covered. Thank you for the suggestions and hope to see you there.

implanted_microchip
08-03-2017, 02:30 PM
What are the odds of New Order being on a different stage, and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?

mostlymad
08-03-2017, 02:49 PM
What are the odds of New Order being on a different stage, and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?

At Lollapalooza, they were on exact opposite sides of the festival. The crowd not waiting for The Killers all fled after New Order, because it was immediately before NIN. The crowd seemed to clear out from right before NIN, too. We all did a big crisscross. I am hoping that this was a lesson to organizers. I guess we'll see.

magnolia
08-03-2017, 02:57 PM
and if NIN were to do a surprise club date, what night do people familiar with this fest's schedule and the area think it would be on?

I brought this question up in the live discussion thread. I would assume if they do an extra show it will be on Thursday or Monday night. Maybe Wednesday night, though. I would be surprised if they did a show on one of the other two festival nights.
Edit: if they even can do a show on one of the other festival nights? Wouldn't that be written into their contract with the festival that they can't conflict, or something?

implanted_microchip
08-03-2017, 03:49 PM
At Lollapalooza, they were on exact opposite sides of the festival. The crowd not waiting for The Killers all fled after New Order, because it was immediately before NIN. The crowd seemed to clear out from right before NIN, too. We all did a big crisscross. I am hoping that this was a lesson to organizers. I guess we'll see.

I'm strongly considering going to this and want to be able to get onto the rail again, so ultimately if it means missing half of the acts I'm interested in to do it, I'll do it, but New Order is the only other band on the list that is a must-see for me -- they're absolute legends, I've never seen them and randomly buying a CD of Substance helped form my taste in electronic music at an early age.

mostlymad
08-03-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm strongly considering going to this and want to be able to get onto the rail again, so ultimately if it means missing half of the acts I'm interested in to do it, I'll do it, but New Order is the only other band on the list that is a must-see for me -- they're absolute legends, I've never seen them and randomly buying a CD of Substance helped form my taste in electronic music at an early age.

I wish you luck with rail. I'm not going to try that this year. Too close to the surgery. I really want to see them and Saul Williams on top of NIN, so I might just do a wander, like I did with Lollapalooza. I got good spots then. I hope it's the same this time.

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
I have most of these things covered. Thank you for the suggestions and hope to see you there.
well i broke down and booked a room. it will be a 31 hr drive one way. i will still need a last minute ticket, lol

kel
08-03-2017, 06:43 PM
well i broke down and booked a room. it will be a 31 hr drive one way. i will still need a last minute ticket, lol

a 31 hour ONE-WAY drive? holy fuck. no way in hell that trip is cheaper than round trip flights from virtually any point a to b in the states.

unless you wanted a serious roadtrip.

good luck.

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 07:11 PM
a 31 hour ONE-WAY drive? holy fuck. no way in hell that trip is cheaper than round trip flights from virtually any point a to b in the states.

unless you wanted a serious roadtrip.

good luck.
actually driving is cheaper. did the math and roundtrip air plus the 25 min ride (cabbie, etc) from/to midway airport. driving is cheaper..
i'll have to see how finances go in order to take the flight vs driving. i still have to buy a ticket to the show.

Swykk
08-03-2017, 07:11 PM
I'd guess Trent will want to hang out and see QOTSA on Saturday but Sunday? Sunday is probable. I'm personally hoping for The Riv.

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Chicago is a big Foodie town, and last time T & M were here in Chicago they ate at a few of our Foodie restaurants. And with four kiddos, there are a ton of Chicago things to do. So, who knows how long they'll hang out with no tour ahead of them.
hey, do you guys have an ethiopian restaurant? i love ethiopian food. they are all over the place in seattle, wa and a cpl in portland, oregon. used to visit when in those towns.

somewhat_
08-03-2017, 07:19 PM
What about the possibility of riot fest hosting a nin show a day or two before the festival like panorama just did with Tame Impala?

kel
08-03-2017, 07:25 PM
actually driving is cheaper. did the math and roundtrip air plus the 25 min ride (cabbie, etc) from/to midway airport. driving is cheaper..
i'll have to see how finances go in order to take the flight vs driving. i still have to buy a ticket to the show.

... but how much is your time worth?

edit: sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. FLY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

muse-lyre candy
08-04-2017, 12:21 AM
i see ponchos in RIOT FEST merch as well as an item allowed into venue. what are the chances of it raining that weekend?

eversonpoe
08-04-2017, 04:11 PM
i have bad news for everyone. my friend Buck, who does all the booking for Riot Fest, has assured me that there will be no NIN show outside of their performance at Riot Fest.

i'm pretty bummed about it, but there's not much that can be done. :(

@Eichalvindore (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/5774-Eichalvindore) what are the chances of it raining where YOU live that weekend? :p there's no way to know until we get closer to the date. the weather in chicago is more fickle than me in a record store.

mostlymad
08-04-2017, 04:46 PM
i see ponchos in RIOT FEST merch as well as an item allowed into venue. what are the chances of it raining that weekend?

I think it was a show in 2006 where I was at rail and people were throwing water everywhere. I came out of that one soaked. It was inside.

somewhat_
08-04-2017, 05:24 PM
i have bad news for everyone. my friend Buck, who does all the booking for Riot Fest, has assured me that there will be no NIN show outside of their performance at Riot Fest.

i'm pretty bummed about it, but there's not much that can be done. :(

@Eichalvindore (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/5774-Eichalvindore) what are the chances of it raining where YOU live that weekend? :p there's no way to know until we get closer to the date. the weather in chicago is more fickle than me in a record store.

Is there something contractually that tells him this? Otherwise, why would anyone working for riot fest necessarily be in the know about an nin show that is possibly to be played after their riot fest appearance?

bobbie solo
08-05-2017, 01:21 AM

i'm pretty bummed about it, but there's not much that can be done.

He wouldn't necessarily know yet, or at all. That weekend is still 5 weeks away.

muse-lyre candy
08-05-2017, 01:50 AM
i booked a stay for an extra night just in case.

eversonpoe
08-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Is there something contractually that tells him this? Otherwise, why would anyone working for riot fest necessarily be in the know about an nin show that is possibly to be played after their riot fest appearance?

He wouldn't necessarily know yet, or at all. That weekend is still 5 weeks away.

i believe it is a contractual thing. all of the bands playing at riot have contracts, and if they want to play an aftershow or a separate show while in town, i believe it has to be part of their contract. he knows how into NIN i am (he literally pushed for them to get booked so i would FINALLY come to riot fest, not joking) so he wouldn't keep anything back from me regarding this. i asked him very specifically if there was any chance NIN would be playing any show besides their headlining slot at the fest and he said "absolutely not." i poked a little more and said "it just seems likely since they did it in LA and NY already, and a lot of people are speculating on it," to which he replied, "people are stupid. it's not happening. sorry."

implanted_microchip
08-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Bakkersfield was a special warm-up show and Webster Hall is an historic venue closing in now under 2 weeks that NIN has played at before, so I think both of those dates could be seen as somehow special/different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason for a unique Chicago show.

muse-lyre candy
08-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Bakkersfield was a special warm-up show and Webster Hall is an historic venue closing in now under 2 weeks that NIN has played at before, so I think both of those dates could be seen as somehow special/different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason for a unique Chicago show.
I wasn't at the NY 'surprise' performance. i will go out on a limb and say if Mariqueen was there, it may have been set up so she could 'safely' and with much great respect from NIN fans, watch her husband do his thing and rock out.

botley
08-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Bakkersfield was a special warm-up show and Webster Hall is an historic venue closing in now under 2 weeks that NIN has played at before, so I think both of those dates could be seen as somehow special/different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason for a unique Chicago show.Cubs win the pennant again? NIN plays at Wrigley Field?

implanted_microchip
08-06-2017, 10:41 AM
So, what are the odds of Saul coming onstage, and is it still possible there will be some special Year Zero stuff considering the Survivalism single was used for promo art, and no other show this tour has reused old images? Considering that this will be the first show after the (fairly wide) break between dates, I'm kind of expecting them to add/swap out at least a couple of songs.

muse-lyre candy
08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
about as good as odds for a surprise pig face or 1000 homo dj's on stage reunion for a cpl songs..
now that would def be true old school

allegro
08-06-2017, 07:53 PM
So, what are the odds of Saul coming onstage

Answer: No offense: Who the fuck knows? It's like the question about the odds of if it will rain.

Stats don't mean 100% of anything. But, at a prior Lolla where NIN and Saul Williams were there, there was no collaboration. Same with Coachella '05 with NIN and New Order. (I was mostly there for GANG OF FOUR (https://vimeo.com/135133155), I think it would've been cooler for a TR/Go4 live collaboration but whatever.)

I think, when it comes to art and music, the artists are mostly moved by the moment, and the schedule, and not by fan expectations.

At the Metro the other night, the Foo Fighters (NOT appearing at Lolla this weekend) brought Perry (Lolla) Farrell up and they all did Jane's Addiction's "Mountain Song."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-XtdqVz_E&feature=youtu.be

BUT, they'd done that before, too.

And so has Saul and Trent. (https://vimeo.com/5031029)

allegro
08-06-2017, 08:16 PM

I've read some pretty extensive articles in Chicago newspapers over the years about Lollapalooza and Pitchfork and non-compete agreements (see RADIUS CLAUSE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_clause) of said "contract") and about how certain artists (not necessarily named herein) who have violated the terms of said contract, and how the concert organizers and promoters in said contract have not pursued litigation because the artists violating said contracts have a lot more money and legal power than the organizers and promoters regarding said alleged breach of any non-compete (radius) clause, plus Attorney General Lisa Madigan has found said radius clauses to be unfair business practice.

TL;DR No breach of contract litigation happens because the artists allegedly breaching the contracts have a lot more money and legal power than the concert organizers, PLUS the artists have the backing of local legislators (SEE ALSO (http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2010/08/04/128982880/lollapalooza-undergoing-investigation-by-illinois-attorneygeneral). SEE THIS, TOO (https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/music-festivals-and-the-pursuit-of-exclusivity/).)

FWIW.

Note that that this does not necessarily mean that NIN will be performing any side show while in Chicago. I'm just saying that they COULD, as many artists HAVE.

FULLMETAL
08-06-2017, 10:37 PM
And so has Saul and Trent. (https://vimeo.com/5031029)

I do hope they do more of these videos going forward as it's always neat to see tour friends rocking the fuck out, plus it makes for a great souvenir of a show.

allegro
08-06-2017, 11:26 PM
I do hope they do more of these videos going forward as it's always neat to see tour friends rocking the fuck out, plus it makes for a great souvenir of a show.

Right, but sometimes Trent's fandom and respect of other artists doesn't translate well with NIN fans, e.g. his love of Peter Murphy from Bauhaus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elbsomblod4).

there were NIN fans on this board and at NIN.com who'd never heard of Bauhaus, so they were freaking out, "who the fuck is this guy?"

It was depressing.

bobbie solo
08-07-2017, 12:16 AM
I could see Trent perform with Saul infinitely more than anything with Al. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

skullboy0
08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Schedule comes out tomorrow morning at 10AM per Riot Fest's Twitter.

SM Rollinger
08-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Nice, I doubt the 3 acts im going for (Saul, Ministry and NIN) will overlap.

edit: fingers crossed for SUPERNAUT and YZ in full, but I doubt either will happen. I suspect the pic from the Survivalism video was used cuz its guys in RIOT GEAR and its RIOT FEST...

sonic_discord
08-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Nice, I doubt the 3 acts im going for (Saul, Ministry and NIN) will overlap.

edit: fingers crossed for SUPERNAUT and YZ in full, but I doubt either will happen. I suspect the pic from the Survivalism video was used cuz its guys in RIOT GEAR and its RIOT FEST...

It would be fucking awesome if Al joined NIN to play Supernaut or if Saul joined them to play Sunday Bloody Sunday, WTF!, or Banged and Blown Through, but I'm not holding my breath for either. Regarding them using the Survivalism single artwork, I think you're right. I don't think they'll play Year Zero front to back and as cool as that could be, I don't think this is the right place for that. Plus, I'm really hoping to see Something I Can Never Have (never seen it live), Branches/Bones, Less Than, Burning Bright (Field on Fire), I Can't Give Everything Away (Farewell Mix), and The Lovers or She's Gone Away. I'm really hoping to see a lot of songs I've never seen. Although seeing My Violent Heart and Zero-Sum live would be AMAZING.

bobbie solo
08-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Tobacco being on the Friday lineup is a good sign for a potential secret NIN show before or after the festival. Now Trent has his designated opener in town.

skullboy0
08-10-2017, 10:00 AM
http://riotfest.org/2017/08/the-riot-fest-daily-schedule-is-here/

implanted_microchip
08-10-2017, 10:02 AM
http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/riot-fest-schedule-grid-2017.png

SM Rollinger
08-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Fuck yeah, Ministry playing the main stage before NIN!!!

eversonpoe
08-10-2017, 12:05 PM
woof. i'm gonna be running around a LOT. really wish LIARS and saul williams weren't overlapping. also wish we hadn't gotten three day passes because the only band i care about on sunday is tv on the radio. :/

implanted_microchip
08-10-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm somewhat put off by the scheduling because to see all the acts I'm interested on Friday I'd have to run stage to stage, deal with being in the backs of crowds due to set times running really close to each other or overlapping and would have to skip New Order if I want to get a good spot for NIN and would have to stand through Ministry (a band I have never given a single fuck about).

I'm figuring if I were to see Saul and then beeline to the main stage, skipping DFA and New Order, I could start getting close before Buzzcocks and end up near if not on the rail by the time Ministry is done, but then again this festival will likely be packed, so who knows, but that doesn't mean I'm not still considering going.

I also fucking hate that Wu-Tang overlaps with QOTSA since they are the only two bands I'm concerned about seeing that Saturday, but it does mean I'd not be missing out on anything if I wanted to get rail for QOTSA, so there's that.

Five_Hole
08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm somewhat put off by the scheduling because to see all the acts I'm interested on Friday I'd have to run stage to stage, deal with being in the backs of crowds due to set times running really close to each other or overlapping and would have to skip New Order if I want to get a good spot for NIN and would have to stand through Ministry (a band I have never given a single fuck about).

I'm figuring if I were to see Saul and then beeline to the main stage, skipping DFA and New Order, I could start getting close before Buzzcocks and end up near if not on the rail by the time Ministry is done, but then again this festival will likely be packed, so who knows, but that doesn't mean I'm not still considering going.

I also fucking hate that Wu-Tang overlaps with QOTSA since they are the only two bands I'm concerned about seeing that Saturday, but it does mean I'd not be missing out on anything if I wanted to get rail for QOTSA, so there's that.

NIN and New Order will be on adjacent stages only separated by the security barricade to the sound booths. If you get a good spot on the NIN side you'll be fine to see (or at least hear) New Order.

implanted_microchip
08-10-2017, 04:08 PM
NIN and New Order will be on adjacent stages only separated by the security barricade to the sound booths. If you get a good spot on the NIN side you'll be fine to see (or at least hear) New Order.

This is a very good point and I feel stupid for not realizing this (especially because it's the reason I had to suffer through an entire Offspring set while waiting for A Perfect Circle earlier in the year)

mostlymad
08-10-2017, 04:13 PM
I really wish I knew what the stage setup was like. If it is like it was in the last park, then New Order could be across from NIN, and I won't have to pick. But being in a new park, and not having gone the last couple years, I'm unsure about that.

Five_Hole
08-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Here is last years map (http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/riot-fest-chicago-map-final.jpg). I'm guessing it will be very similar other than the Storyheart and Rebel stage becoming one stage and the Rock stage being renamed the Radicals stage.

eversonpoe
08-15-2017, 10:47 AM
http://riotfest.org/2017/08/riot-fest-late-night/

http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017_AFTERSHOWS_square_email.jpg

looking less and less likely that NIN will be playing a secret show here (in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)

magnolia
08-15-2017, 10:50 AM
http://riotfest.org/2017/08/riot-fest-late-night/

looking less and less likely that NIN will be playing a secret show here (in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)

But, but... Tobacco with "special guests"?

edit: well I am extra slow today. Didn't read your bit about Smart Bar at the bottom, and I even quoted it. Oops.

skullboy0
08-15-2017, 11:12 AM
(in case you're thinking they'll play with tobacco, Smart Bar is a TINY basement bar venue)

400 capacity according to the Metro's website.

http://metrochicago.com/rental/

allegro
08-15-2017, 12:41 PM
400 capacity according to the Metro's website.

http://metrochicago.com/rental/

Yeah, and it FEELS smaller than that, the official capacity is per the fire marshall and that's at the tip top limit.

that'd be fun if NIN played a 400-person basement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dw9R3rchxI), though. AT THE METRO. They mostly have dance parties with DJs in the Smart Bar and when it gets crowded HOLY SHIT.

xfocalinx
08-15-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm too excited!

bobbie solo
08-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Depending on how much tickets are, I think some of you guys should hedge your bets and buy tix to that Tobacco show. To me, that SCREAMS secret NIN show. Is losing $20/$30 worth it to you if you (we) are wrong? What if you (we) are RIGHT? Would be the coup of a lifetime. Just my opinion.

somewhat_
08-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Depending on how much tickets are, I think some of you guys should hedge your bets and buy tix to that Tobacco show. To me, that SCREAMS secret NIN show. Is losing $20/$30 worth it to you if you (we) are wrong? What if you (we) are RIGHT? Would be the coup of a lifetime. Just my opinion.

At the very least an ETSer should hang around the place on Thursday and see if any NIN gear is being hauled in. Of course by that time it will probably be sold out just based on the extremely slight possibility. Can you imagine how amazing a secret nin show in a 400 person capacity bar would be? It cant get much more intimate than that!

allegro
08-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Can you imagine how amazing a secret nin show in a 400 person capacity bar would be? It cant get much more intimate than that!

The Spiral-only show at the Key Club was pretty friggin' intimate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBgu9FIPDw). Capacity there is 900, but I don't know that we had capacity.

Smart Bar was an industrial and dance club back in the day. Ministry and NIN were there, see this (http://beintheloopchicago.com/metro-celebrates-33-13/).

somewhat_
08-15-2017, 05:52 PM
The Spiral-only show at the Key Club was pretty friggin' intimate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBgu9FIPDw). Capacity there is 900, but I don't know that we had capacity.

Smart Bar was an industrial and dance club back in the day. Ministry and NIN were there, see this (http://beintheloopchicago.com/metro-celebrates-33-13/).

The key club show was by far the most intimate nin show I've been to. It's crazy to picture what it would be like with a crowd half the size of that spiral only show.

m0reta
08-15-2017, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see Tobacco so count me as one trying for a ticket. Maybe Ally will be the special guest!

somewhat_
08-15-2017, 06:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/d0306094b90e1e83c6159c96acd2401e.jpg

sonic_discord
08-15-2017, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see Tobacco so count me as one trying for a ticket. Maybe Ally will be the special guest!

^ seems more likely than NIN for sure, but I've love to be wrong.
EDIT: looks like it's High Tides, whoever they are.

skullboy0
08-15-2017, 07:45 PM
^ seems more likely than NIN for sure, but I've love to be wrong.
EDIT: looks like it's High Tides, whoever they are.

A quick Googling of High Tides music yielded:

High Tides’ self-titled debut to realign your chakra with good vibes, out soon on TOBACCO’s Rad Cult (https://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/high-tides-self-titled-debut-set-release-tobaccos-rad-cult)

bobbie solo
08-15-2017, 11:31 PM

was it close to capacity? the '09 Bowery Ballroom show was really small...only about 500 in there. One of the best days of my life.

implanted_microchip
08-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Flight is booked (on United, so wish me luck in case I get choked out) so I am definitely going to this. Should be buying my festival ticket within the next couple weeks since it doesn't seem like I should be all too worried about them selling out any time soon.

At the start of this year I'd never even traveled out of state and by the end I'll have flown twice to see my favorite band in the world. This tour is always going to have a very special place in my heart and memory. I don't care if I get the exact same show I saw in Panorama; this lineup sounds better than I have ever heard them sound before.

eversonpoe
08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Flight is booked (on United, so wish me luck in case I get choked out) so I am definitely going to this. Should be buying my festival ticket within the next couple weeks since it doesn't seem like I should be all too worried about them selling out any time soon.

At the start of this year I'd never even traveled out of state and by the end I'll have flown twice to see my favorite band in the world. This tour is always going to have a very special place in my heart and memory. I don't care if I get the exact same show I saw in Panorama; this lineup sounds better than I have ever heard them sound before.

I AM SO EXCITED we're gonna have so much fun <3

Sarah K
08-17-2017, 09:44 PM
At the start of this year I'd never even traveled out of state and by the end I'll have flown twice to see my favorite band internet users in the world.

FTFY.

caps

tony.parente
08-17-2017, 09:58 PM
I AM SO EXCITED we're gonna have so much fun <3
Ugh. I kinda wish I were coming just so I could hang out with you again lol

SM Rollinger
08-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Ugh. I kinda wish I were coming just so I could hang out with you again lol
its not too late!

this is gonna be EPIC

MINISTRY/NIN FTW

tony.parente
08-17-2017, 10:59 PM
its not too late!

this is gonna be EPIC

MINISTRY/NIN FTW
I can't even if I had tickets, I leave for a friends wedding in Florida on that day :(

SM Rollinger
08-17-2017, 11:10 PM
I can't even if I had tickets, I leave for a friends wedding in Florida on that day :(
bummer!

Swykk
08-18-2017, 06:18 AM
I'm not bummed about going alone because when I get there, I'll have a few friends around I don't get to see a lot and I'll get to finally meet you fine people. It's going to be a good day. Plus, I don't know if you know or not, but this band I like is headlining. The Nine Inch Nails!

bryan_NIN65
08-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Well I gambled on the Tobacco show and already kinda regret it. I feel NIN has to do some kinda warm up show right?

ophelia_
08-18-2017, 07:04 PM
This show is on 8 days before I arrive in the States and I am SO TEMPTED to try and change my flights and go to it.. :/ GAHHHHHHHh!

Bachy
08-18-2017, 10:11 PM
So will there be an ETS meet up at all for Riot Fest?

SM Rollinger
08-18-2017, 10:44 PM
count me in

mostlymad
08-19-2017, 12:39 PM

I'm thinking about wearing my cranberry ETS shirt, just in case.

somewhat_
08-21-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm finally somewhat official- I booked my flight and hotel. Now I need to decide between a standard or VIP ticket.

xfocalinx
08-21-2017, 11:43 PM

I'll be the one front row with the long hair w/ red in it (may be all red, may be partially red I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WEAR!)

SM Rollinger
08-21-2017, 11:48 PM
I always wear the same thing to concerts, my Psalm 69 hoodie and my Eraser shirt.

somewhat_
08-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Did you do VIP or GA last year and this year? Looking for a recommendation since you've been before. Thanks!

magnolia
08-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Did you do VIP or GA last year and this year? Looking for a recommendation since you've been before. Thanks!
We did 3-day GA last year, as well as this year. Considered doing VIP this year, but decided it wasn't worth it. My buddy that lives in Chicago gets free VIP passes from his work every year, so last year when we went to RF for the first time we got some insight into the VIP from him and his girlfriend. What you're paying for with VIP really just seems to be the bathrooms and drink tickets. My husband and I aren't big drinkers to begin with so the drinks would almost be wasted on us, and I would appreciate the private bathrooms - I definitely did at Panorama, and don't regret buying VIP one bit for that festival - but again, at almost twice the price for VIP as they were for GA, it just didn't seem worth it. If there were prime viewing places set up for VIP I would have grabbed them in a heartbeat, but you don't get that unless you're splurging on those damn Deluxe VIP. The VIP area last year was setup away from all of the stages, and I'd assume will be the same this year. Just my two cents! We are also doing a lot of traveling this year, and I had already splurged on VIP when we went to Panorama, so the need to save a little was more important to me in this instance. Hope this helps!

M1ke
08-24-2017, 09:39 AM
For those of you attending, I highly recommend checking out Gogol Bordello's set. I saw them at Riverfest in Elora, On this past weekend and they were absolutely amazing, such an intense performance.

eversonpoe
08-24-2017, 10:24 AM
For those of you attending, I highly recommend checking out Gogol Bordello's set. I saw them at Riverfest in Elora, On this past weekend and they were absolutely amazing, such an intense performance.

i saw them play a lolla aftershow in...2008(?) at the metro and it was insane. they had already played that day at lolla, and then played for almost two hours that night. it was hot as balls but absolutely incredible.

Dustinhxc
09-02-2017, 12:18 AM
So excited for this show! MINISTRY/NIN! Awesome!
We were at the NYC show and it was AMAZINGGG. Were about 6th row in center. Was a great night!

somewhat_
09-02-2017, 03:18 PM
We did 3-day GA last year, as well as this year. Considered doing VIP this year, but decided it wasn't worth it. My buddy that lives in Chicago gets free VIP passes from his work every year, so last year when we went to RF for the first time we got some insight into the VIP from him and his girlfriend. What you're paying for with VIP really just seems to be the bathrooms and drink tickets. My husband and I aren't big drinkers to begin with so the drinks would almost be wasted on us, and I would appreciate the private bathrooms - I definitely did at Panorama, and don't regret buying VIP one bit for that festival - but again, at almost twice the price for VIP as they were for GA, it just didn't seem worth it. If there were prime viewing places set up for VIP I would have grabbed them in a heartbeat, but you don't get that unless you're splurging on those damn Deluxe VIP. The VIP area last year was setup away from all of the stages, and I'd assume will be the same this year. Just my two cents! We are also doing a lot of traveling this year, and I had already splurged on VIP when we went to Panorama, so the need to save a little was more important to me in this instance. Hope this helps!

I went GA mainly because the single day VIP ticket doesn't include drink tickets. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but I certainly appreciated the decent restroom and shorter food/drink lines at panorama for VIP, so hopefully I won't regret going GA. Unfortunately the deluxe VIP option is sold out. Thanks for all the info!

implanted_microchip
09-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I'm hoping the insane degree of energy they brought to the table in New York hasn't faded from the month off of touring. I don't think I've ever seen Trent look so rabid and filled with intensity in person before. He looked truly exhausted in the 2014 North American shows and it was so good to see him seeming revitalized and back into it. No matter what, this show is going to be a great time, and it's already all I've been thinking about all week, especially since we now have less than 2 to go.

After the disappointment that was Panorama's "VIP viewing area" I stuck with GA. It's super cheap for all the bands I'll be seeing and doesn't seem like I'll be missing out on much, especially since I'm planning to camp at the rail right after Saul Williams' set is finished.

mostlymad
09-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Well, my time off was officially approved, so I will be able to leave anytime to drive up to Chicago, and not have to drive straight to work right afterward. Woo! Looks like I have a show to look forward to!

magnolia
09-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Nine more days til Nine Inch Nails!

muse-lyre candy
09-06-2017, 01:44 PM
i haven't purchased tix yet, giving myself til tuesday to decide.
either way the anticipation is killing me atm...

xfocalinx
09-06-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm expecting some curveballs.. Not the setlist we've seen from these past show..simply because there's been a big break between shows giving him time to rehearse more material.

implanted_microchip
09-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Hoping heavily that this hurricane doesn't mess with my flight out next week. Fingers crossed.

magnolia
09-06-2017, 05:42 PM
In case you guys missed it, this was posted earlier today. Part one of a three part series, and it's a pretty interesting read. Totally captures all the reasons behind why - when my festival-hating husband and I went to Riot Fest last year for the first time - we left saying we would totally go back next year, no matter who was on the lineup, (it was just a great bonus that two of my all time favorite bands ended up headlining this year!)
http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/riot_fest_oral_history_interview_naked_ray_gun
Also, there's a very brief mention of Trent.

xfocalinx
09-06-2017, 09:19 PM
In case you guys missed it, this was posted earlier today. Part one of a three part series, and it's a pretty interesting read. Totally captures all the reasons behind why - when my festival-hating husband and I went to Riot Fest last year for the first time - we left saying we would totally go back next year, no matter who was on the lineup, (it was just a great bonus that two of my all time favorite bands ended up headlining this year!)
http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/riot_fest_oral_history_interview_naked_ray_gun
Also, there's a very brief mention of Trent.

dude. misfits last year I still cannot believe it happened.

allegro
09-06-2017, 09:26 PM
I still can't get over that McKeough died last year at 42 of a stroke; he of course co-founded Riot Fest and he owned the Cobra Lounge.

johnbron
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
My wife and I will be here after spending a week in Chicago and I can't fucking wait. <3

magnolia
09-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Part two of the series I posted yesterday:
http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/riot_fest_oral_history_the_replacements_humboldt_p ark_interview

SM Rollinger
09-10-2017, 10:06 PM
LESS THAN a week to go!

Who's down for a meet? Now is the the time to get serious aboot this. Thinking Thursday night and/or post show Friday. Who is in the area? We could use some help.

joel
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
I'm down to meet. Will be in town starting the 13th.

Swykk
09-11-2017, 12:44 PM
I would like meeting you guys at RF for sure. I couldn't do much before as I'm working up until Friday.

ericy210
09-11-2017, 06:16 PM
its not too late!

this is gonna be EPIC

MINISTRY/NIN FTW
I plan to just wait for the 90 minutes between them at the Riot Stage, jockeying for position.
this is an evening for wearing an adult Depends diaper so I don't have to lose my place!

ericy210
09-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Well I gambled on the Tobacco show and already kinda regret it. I feel NIN has to do some kinda warm up show right?

Or one over the weekend.

what will you guys be monitoring?
i think Webster Hall was announced on Trent's twitter and to the email list for those registered on nin.com.

am I correct? Anything else to monitor in addition?

how were Webster hall tickets bought? Ticketmaster/Live Nation at a specific time? Or via a link?

thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait for the show and I'd do most anything to see them in a small venue.

xfocalinx
09-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Heads up to anyone who has never attended a riot fest: It ALWAYS rains. and when it rains it gets MUDDY. wear shoes you don't mind getting ruined. Cellphone service also sucks, too!

implanted_microchip
09-12-2017, 11:03 AM
After sitting through a hurricane my power is back on and my flight says on schedule for Thursday morning, so nothing should be stopping me from this!

eversonpoe
09-12-2017, 11:48 AM
After sitting through a hurricane my power is back on and my flight says on schedule for Thursday morning, so nothing should be stopping me from this!

nothing can stop you now, 'cause irma don't care?

implanted_microchip
09-12-2017, 01:51 PM
For those who have been to Riot before, how hard should it be to get to the rail? The only morning set I'm committed to seeing is Saul -- should I have a good shot after him to still get there, or should I consider skipping out?

magnolia
09-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Heads up to anyone who has never attended a riot fest: It ALWAYS rains. and when it rains it gets MUDDY. wear shoes you don't mind getting ruined. Cellphone service also sucks, too!
It didn't rain on us at all last year, and I went all three days. But I think we just got very lucky with the weather. Right now the forecast says Sunday will be rainy, but the other two days should be good... fingers crossed! Either way, I'm bringing ponchos.

For those who have been to Riot before, how hard should it be to get to the rail? The only morning set I'm committed to seeing is Saul -- should I have a good shot after him to still get there, or should I consider skipping out?
I was debating the same thing today. I think I'm going to skip Saul altogether and go straight for the rail as soon as we get there. I think it's a very well-attended festival, and there will be lots of other diehards that get there early for the same reason.

xfocalinx
09-12-2017, 06:51 PM
It didn't rain on us at all last year, and I went all three days. But I think we just got very lucky with the weather. Right now the forecast says Sunday will be rainy, but the other two days should be good... fingers crossed! Either way, I'm bringing ponchos.

I was debating the same thing today. I think I'm going to skip Saul altogether and go straight for the rail as soon as we get there. I think it's a very well-attended festival, and there will be lots of other diehards that get there early for the same reason.

You're right. Last year was a plesant suprise. I'm not holding my breath for a repeat though.

allegro
09-12-2017, 08:19 PM

We've been in a pretty bad drought here in Chicago for a while. My grass is dead. I spent 30 minutes tonight watering my trees. Sunday has a 30% chance of thunderstorms in the morning per Tom Skilling, our WGN weather God. No true forecast until 48 hours prior.

sonic_discord
09-13-2017, 01:41 AM

Are people seriously going to wait at the Riot stage (the stage where NIN plays) beginning as early as right after Saul?? I was thinking of watching Ministry and then maybe checking out New Order for a while at the Roots stage and then coming back like a half an hour before NIN takes the stage. Should I just camp out there the whole time between Ministry and NIN to ensure a good spot? I don't really care about being ON THE RAIL, I just want to get fairly close and have a good spot in the middle (not off to the side). Thoughts?

magnolia
09-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Are people seriously going to wait at the Riot stage (the stage where NIN plays) beginning as early as right after Saul?? I was thinking of watching Ministry and then maybe checking out New Order for a while at the Roots stage and then coming back like a half an hour before NIN takes the stage. Should I just camp out there the whole time between Ministry and NIN to ensure a good spot? I don't really care about being ON THE RAIL, I just want to get fairly close and have a good spot in the middle (not off to the side). Thoughts?

Yes, I am. I would like to be on the rail for this, if I can, but it won't kill me not to be. But to get a "good spot in the middle", I would not wait until 30 minutes before NIN set starts to try to find a good place... At the very least, I would recommend being in front of the Riot stage right after Ministry finishes there.

implanted_microchip
09-13-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm expecting overlap between Ministry and NIN fans on the rail which is going to make getting a spot far more challenging later in the day -- a lot of people planted for one will stick for the other. There were people camped out early in the day at Panorama and that was a far smaller crowd and festival. I got to the rail after being in GA for four acts and chatted and then bribed my way to the very front two acts before NIN, and no one was budging/leaving their post by then, so I can only imagine Riot will have far more hardcore fans and diehards.

I'm all for some of us as a group getting spots together as well -- it can be a lot easier keeping from being pushed off when you're around friends.

allegro
09-13-2017, 02:10 PM
I'll just leave this stuff here ...

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/riot-fest-2017-jawbreaker-reunion-documentary-film/Content?oid=30439063

https://www.spin.com/2017/05/jawbreaker-documentary-dont-break-down-teaser/

skullboy0
09-13-2017, 03:25 PM

joel
09-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Good question. Where are the good record shops? I see a handful on west 18th st.

cdm
09-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Something tells me you Chicago heads may want to cancel any appointments tomorrow...

somewhat_
09-13-2017, 03:48 PM
I wonder if this is a hint at a record store live appearance? I hope it doesn't happen during the early part of the day while I'm on my way to Chicago.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
09-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Any word on if a stream is happening?

ericy210
09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Anyone think they're rehearsing? I'd guess UIC Pavilion if it's a full production rehearsal.
but maybe they've figured that part time it.
maybe there will be something special tomorrow night!

ericy210
09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
I'll just leave this stuff here ...

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/riot-fest-2017-jawbreaker-reunion-documentary-film/Content?oid=30439063

https://www.spin.com/2017/05/jawbreaker-documentary-dont-break-down-teaser/
Thanks. I read they toured with Nirvana on the In Utero tour, and sure enough I saw them with mudhoney, bobcat goldwaith, and Nirvana at the Aragon Ballroom.
I'll check them out.

ericy210
09-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Good question. Where are the good record shops? I see a handful on west 18th st.
https://www.timeout.com/chicago/shopping/the-12-best-record-stores-in-chicago

could there possibly be a record store performance? I think Reckless is the big daddy with room to pull it off. See the link above.

ericy210
09-13-2017, 06:21 PM
IMPORTANT!

i talked to Reckless Records on Broadway. I asked him directly if NIN was coming tomorrow. He said the best he can tell me is to listen to Q101 tomorrow.

joel
09-13-2017, 07:02 PM
IMPORTANT!

i talked to Reckless Records on Broadway. I asked him directly if NIN was coming tomorrow. He said the best he can tell me is to listen to Q101 tomorrow.

Looking at their website it seems that a lot of the events happen at the wicker park location.

if only there was a way to be in three places at once.

cdm
09-13-2017, 07:03 PM
If they're planning something similar to what they did in NYC...Metro, Vic, and Aragon are open Thursday according to their respective calendars

One other thing of note: Concord Music Hall is hosting a series of after shows but Saturday is curiously open.

Dustinhxc
09-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Oh man I pray they do it Saturday not tomorrow. We don't get in till Friday. Can't wait for riot fest! Will die if we get to see a small show or meet and greet!

Krazy
09-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Fuck it- play at Great America! Can ride Raging Bull while listening to Wish live.

THAT would be awesome.

joel
09-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Anyone wanna get some breakfast tomorrow?

bryan_NIN65
09-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Oh man I pray they do it Saturday not tomorrow. We don't get in till Friday. Can't wait for riot fest! Will die if we get to see a small show or meet and greet!

The argon holds like 4 or 5k right if so we all should have a fair shot at getting in even if I buy from stub hub. I will be getting in town tomorrow evening.

ericy210
09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Fuck it- play at Great America! Can ride Raging Bull while listening to Wish live.

THAT would be awesome.
What do we listen to on the Wizzer?

Bachy
09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
So wait, would they be announcing a separate show or do we have to get lucky and guess?

ericy210
09-13-2017, 09:08 PM
I doubt he'd do Saturday opposite QOTSA on stage at Riot.

my guess is meet n greet with album signing and a show. Tickets can be won at the record store. Also for sale online.

bryan_NIN65
09-13-2017, 09:16 PM
I doubt he'd do Saturday opposite QOTSA on stage at Riot.

my guess is meet n greet with album signing and a show. Tickets can be won at the record store. Also for sale online.

If only I knew the time? With having an 8 to 9 hour drive ahead of me.

Krazy
09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
What do we listen to on the Wizzer?

Weezer gets played on The Wizzer. Nickelback gets played on The Giant Drop (because one wants to die).

Lets hope nothing is Somewhat Damaged.

Also good points on the QOTSA comments, but if he does something it'll be small and most people have already bought their tickets.

eversonpoe
09-13-2017, 10:39 PM
• that picture was taken at the pritzker pavilion in millennium park (just east of the loop).

• even the reckless records in wicker park is not big enough for a NIN show. they do acoustic shows there occasionally, but having NIN in there would not work unless they want the store completely destroyed (the layout does not allow for that many people to be in the store at a time, let alone a FULL five-piece band).

• it is still possible they'll play a surprise show, but i doubt it.

sonic_discord
09-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Has anyone seen or heard of any screen printed posters (for either NIN or QotSA) to be sold at the show tomorrow? I hope if there's some sort of surprise show or meet & greet that it's in the evening after I get into town...

implanted_microchip
09-14-2017, 02:03 AM
Has anyone seen or heard of any screen printed posters (for either NIN or QotSA) to be sold at the show tomorrow? I hope if there's some sort of surprise show or meet & greet that it's in the evening after I get into town...
I think the only poster all tour has been the (extremely) minimal Bakkersfield one. I don't remember seeing any at all at Panorama.

Part of wanting to be in Thursday was in hopes of some sort of secret thing since I couldn't see them competing with QOTSA and the fest. Fingers crossed that if anything does happen, I get to be there after missing out on Webster Hall!

Haysey_Draws
09-14-2017, 02:45 AM
Ohhhhhhh hints of secret show, awesome! If it does happen i hope everyone out their for Riot Fest get's lucky.

Swykk
09-14-2017, 08:02 AM
I mean, it could be a meet and greet at Reckless instead, right? Would still be crazy. I would make a beeline there (about an hour away, give or take traffic) and probably just miss out.

skullboy0
09-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Santos L Halper
09-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Looks like you all were pretty much spot on!

Swykk
09-14-2017, 08:15 AM
I'd love to go but:

01 I don't know how feasible it'll be for me to drive to Chicago by noon, come back, then head out again by 6 only to return for Riot Fest tomorrow.

02 I do not have any use for vinyl.

If someone could ask and try and get a definitive answer about if AATCHB will ever be played live, I'd love you forever.

magnolia
09-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Daaaamn it. I don't get in until almost 5. Will definitely miss out. [emoji20] Hope some of you all get to make it in to this, though!

SM Rollinger
09-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Damn were driving now and wont be there till 5ish

tcrudolph
09-14-2017, 08:29 AM
My flight arrives at 7 :( - awesome for anyone that gets to go to this!

somewhat_
09-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Definitely a cool thing, but I think I might just watch this from my hotel room. It could definitely be a struggle and be a potential disappointment if I can't get there in time.

What time is everyone's best guess as to the latest you could arrive to get a wristband?

lady weetly
09-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Definitely a cool thing, but I think I might just watch this from my hotel room. It could definitely be a struggle and be a potential disappointment if I can't get there in time.

What time is everyone's best guess as to the latest you could arrive to get a wristband?

Reckless is SUCH a small store, so I honestly can't figure this out myself. I'm 40 min-hour away right now depending on traffic and can't leave immediately so I'm trying to quickly figure out if heading into the city is even worth it or a disappointing car ride back.

implanted_microchip
09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
The line for this is already nuts

bobbie solo
09-14-2017, 11:00 AM
I think the only poster all tour has been the (extremely) minimal Bakkersfield one. I don't remember seeing any at all at Panorama

The only other poster from this summer's shows has been this:

http://i63.tinypic.com/nfpi6d.jpg

And I had to steal it off the PATH train to get one. They weren't for sale at the festival like they were last year. Regardless, I'm aware that this poster doesn't exactly fulfill the spirit of the question asked, but it's the closest thing I've come across outside of the Bakersfield one.

joel
09-14-2017, 11:45 AM
I was on the nin official Instagram. Woo! Excited.

implanted_microchip
09-14-2017, 12:41 PM
We all got commemorative slipmats. Supposedly we'll get access to vinyl not available elsewhere and "other stuff we can't tell you about yet"

ericy210
09-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Early in line for me. I'll get the signed album
any questions you have for the q$a?

joel
09-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Anyone else here in the first 10? Wanna know if I met any of you.

Bachy
09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
I just missed out. They ran out of bracelets with about 10 people ahead of me. If you noticed a car drive by the record store with "A Warm Place" blasting, that was me.

somewhat_
09-14-2017, 03:05 PM
I just missed out. They ran out of bracelets with about 10 people ahead of me. If you noticed a car drive by the record store with "A Warm Place" blasting, that was me.

Sorry to hear you missed out. Thanks for the update. My plane just landed because of a heavy fog delay, so I appreciate you saving me a trip up there.

kargath
09-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Need to get someone to record the webcast

kargath
09-14-2017, 03:34 PM
I just missed out. They ran out of bracelets with about 10 people ahead of me. If you noticed a car drive by the record store with "A Warm Place" blasting, that was me.What time was this? I know a guy that lives over there and he talked to someone at the store that told him the wristbands were gone by 10

Bachy
09-14-2017, 03:50 PM
What time was this? I know a guy that lives over there and he talked to someone at the store that told him the wristbands were gone by 10

I'm assuming you meant 1:00 because they didn't start handing out till noon. They basically ran out around 12:45.

kargath
09-14-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm assuming you meant 1:00 because they didn't start handing out till noon. They basically ran out around 12:45.I meant 10a. The guy told him they were out of bands prior to the tweet going out. I'm trying to figure out if something shady went down.

Also..So much for the nin.com exclusive on deviations. Reckless is selling it right next to all the other albums.

This link says people were in line at 8a
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170914/wicker-park/nine-inch-nails-doing-surprise-qa-at-reckless-records

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/3cab09bbec06f933a035852fef310a93.jpg

TheBang
09-14-2017, 04:58 PM
I meant 10a. The guy told him they were out of bands prior to the tweet going out. I'm trying to figure out if something shady went down.

Also..So much for the nin.com exclusive on deviations. Reckless is selling it right next to all the other albums.

This link says people were in line at 8a
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170914/wicker-park/nine-inch-nails-doing-surprise-qa-at-reckless-records
The first tweet from nineinchnails Twitter went out at 8AM sharp. I'm assuming by 10AM the line was longer than the capacity for the event (150 people, according to the link you posted).

Bachy
09-14-2017, 05:02 PM
The first tweet from nineinchnails Twitter went out at 8AM sharp. I'm assuming by 10AM the line was longer than the capacity for the event (150 people, according to the link you posted).

I wouldn't say that is accurate. I arrived at 11:30. They ran out of wristbands roughly with just 10 people ahead of me. They probably got to 150 roughly between 11:00 and 11:30.

Bachy
09-14-2017, 05:08 PM
My guess is they meant the vinyls were already gone. I can affirm that wristbands were not passed out until after noon. Hell, the line didn't began moving until about 20 mins after.

ericy210
09-14-2017, 05:14 PM
I got here at 8:20 and was third in line. 150 wristbands were handed out to attend the 6:00 q&a.
the first 50 are red and entitle the owner to the signed Vietnam vinyl.
Thats all I know

bryan_NIN65
09-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Thinking about sloping the tobacco show pm me if you want free tix

Star
09-14-2017, 08:40 PM
I don't have time to read though 9 pages, can someone please post a link to the webcast? Thank you.